(Close Window)
Topic: Sudbury Penny
I wish it would be alittle bit easier to get information on the sudbury penny. I can't find a picture of it anywhere, and I can't find any information on except for Brad Burt making a reproduction of it. Does anyone have a picture of these?? I'd really like to see them. I have no clue as to what they look like.

Stevie D
Here's one I got from Burt.
The color is off and it looks better than the pics.
I have a second one that, to me, looks better tarnished.
Wow, thanks alot. Those look great! I'm wondering what type of coin to get for my C/S coin when I get my morgan dollar set. I know they are expensive, but they look really good. I never had so much appreciation for the penny in my life! lol

Stevie D
Hmm those look better then I thought, the interesting prop factor alone would be sweet at the end letting the spec examine the penny
They're very nice Joshua.
There are two routines I've used it in.
J.C. Wagners "Poor Mans Matrix", where I let it be examined.

And a Spellbound type routine with a borrowed penny where I don't allow it to be handled because it goes back to being a regular penny to make the illusion complete.
I have also used this for Wagner's 'Poor Man's Matrix' - a great handling of a classic effect (though I have changed the handling to suit my style more). Brad was selling the originals a while back, which are awesome. I haven't seen his reproductions, but understand they are quite good.
Brad Burt's coins are awesome! I purchased two!

I also have a number of original Sudbury coins. If your interested, please contact me via PM. I also have some Canadian Pennies too.

Thanks,

Paul Green
Jake from RNTII has a couple of the originals for sale under Tricks & effects for sale or trade.

Jeff
I just got one . very nice coin. id like to get more if I can! they handle well too! might use this for my one coin routine with jumbo finish, starting off enlarging a regular penny
I bought one of these coins from Brad Burt as well. I've been using it for a positive/negative (Max Maven) type of effect that I learned from a John George video. I used to use a cheaper large "penny" that was copper plated, but it chipped so badly from being carried around that it came across as cheap (not the image I'm going for). The Sudburry II coins are great!
Now if I can find a real copper 3 inch jumbo to go with it, ill be set =D
I really like Brad Burt, He was my shop in San Diego for a long time.

Though if you are going to go with a dollar sized copper coin. I would go for the Pakistani Dollar sized copper coin.

It's REALLY pretty. and if you are using morgan's I feel like the sudburry penny comes off as more comical than anything else.

Todd Lassen has some if you are looking.
http://www.toddlassen.com/coins/csb/lrg/dragon1921_morgan_pakistan.jpg
THis is from his CSB set, but he has regulars as well.
Todd has several dollar sized copper coins that are beautiful and classy. I have a copper Australian Crown which is fantastic, but as mfeld indicated there are other nice choices.
I have a very nice dollar size penny that I got at Al's magic shop in the seventies. I have no idea who made it. What makes the Sudbury penny so special?
I have two of the original Sudbury Pennies that were also purchased at Al's in about 1973 or so. What's nice about the originals is that they're copper and tarnish like a real penny. Also, for those who might be interested, with a little bit of searching on E-Bay you can purchase the original Canadian Sudbury Penny (Silver Dollar size).
The dollar size Sudbury is perfect for C/S with a US Silver Dollar. I never to without 'em.
[quote]
On 2007-08-15 16:47, hypnodream wrote:
I have a very nice dollar size penny that I got at Al's magic shop in the seventies. I have no idea who made it. What makes the Sudbury penny so special?
[/quote]
Is yours the one that says "E Pluribus Orwell" on the back, with a date of 1984? That's the same one I have, (bought at the same place). I think these were the best Al was able to find after the original Sudburies became unavailable. I have used it for years, and I'm happy with it, partly because I bought it from Al, and I like to think about the shop when I use it.
Don
Hi Don

I took a look at my big penny and unlike the coin pictured above it says The Lincoln Coin Memorial Sudbury canada. So now I know what a Sudbury coin is.

I used to ride my bicycle from my home in Mount Vernon all the way to 12th and Penn to go to Al's shop. I moved away in 1975 and did not get back to DC until 1986 and magic until 2003. So, I missed the other location(s)

Still, my question is pending, why is the Sudbury coin so special?

John
This is from Brad Burt's website.

The Sudbury Penny produced by the now defunct Sudbury Mint in Canada is a legendary magic prop. The original coins were made to be sold in novelty shops, but were outlawed by the U.S. Treasury and most of these wonderful coins were destroyed. Magicians, myself included, looked EVERYWHERE for Sudbury pennies. They looked Great. They felt Great. They were simply the best coin of its type ever produced.
Thanks phillipsje, I really wondered about the mystique of this coin. I just always thought of it as my big penny. Way back when I had no Morgan dollars so it was for creating a jumbo penny from a regular one. I have played with using it for spellbound routines but I prefer to use a coin with a hole in it.

I am surprised the mint had a problem. It has text on it saying what it is and it does not have Lincoln in his chair in the memorial.
You're welcome. :)
I have been working with a "Sudbury" for years, and am glad to read that I can now buy a back-up. Does anyone know of a high quality 3 inch Lincoln cent to use in lieu of the novelty coin that is out there?
Sorry to thread jack here, but I've seen a few people reference the Al's magic shop "e pluribus orwell" penny.

If anyone here has extras of this penny they would like to sell, I'll buy them for 25 dollars each.

I've been looking for a few years now and still no luck.
[quote]
On 2007-09-05 18:18, DStachowiak wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-08-15 16:47, hypnodream wrote:
[/quote]
Is yours the one that says "E Pluribus Orwell" on the back, with a date of 1984? That's the same one I have, (bought at the same place). I think these were the best Al was able to find after the original Sudburies became unavailable. I have used it for years, and I'm happy with it, partly because I bought it from Al, and I like to think about the shop when I use it.
Don
[/quote]

those coins ARE awesome, but the one I saw was half dollar sized. I've been looking for those coins to purchase for YEARS now.
WOW!! I'd like to send 4 of those to Mr. Tango to make a T.U.C coin with and a S.S. mag. she**. Nice price. Sudbury's are just too expensive to have gaffed.

dsalley13
Who could I approach to get one of those silver-dollar sized 2009 log cabin pennies turned into an expanded shell?

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!
I just received a log cabin penny - good price, but it sure is thick (almost double the width of a Sudbury) and heavy. That might be an advantage if you are going to use it for a Sh***, but it is somewhat unwieldy for coin work. I'm with DSalley, it would make a pretty good TUC, plus if it were made into a T.U.C coin, it would lighten up the gaff significantly.

As to who to use, Lassen is just getting to April's custom work. Jamie could do it, but I would use Mark Mason or Mr. Tango. Both are a pleasure to work with for custom work and both will stand by their work if there is any problem. Of course, if you decide to do the custom TUC, you will need to use Mr. Tango.

Regards,

Alan
Thanks!
I received my large log cabin penny.

It is a beautiful coin and the minting is perfect.

The coin is heavy and thick. The edge is also a bit sharp.

I have a sudbury penny and also a sudbury II. This looks more like an expanded penny than the others do. I think this is in some of the scaling of the text and features.

It is a bit slippery to palm.

Time will tell if it can be used with my coin work.

John
The original Sudbury Penny feels and looks better than any of the more recent silver dollar sized pennies being produced, IMO. All of the features on the coin are just about identical to those on a real penny. The E Pluribus Orwell Penny is probably the worst copy out there. The Sudbury II is the better of the more recent issues, although the copper color is not quite as good as the original.

And, I've picked up more than one original Sudbury on Ebay for less than $10.00.
I wish the new log cabin penny was thinner, but otherwise it is a beautiful reproduction.
[quote]
On 2010-07-02 01:44, NicholasD wrote:
The Sudbury II is the better of the more recent issues, although the copper color is not quite as good as the original.
[/quote]

If you use a strong epoxy remover on the -Sudbury II you can get the color to a more realistic, less hyper-shiny copper color. I bought a few and experimented on them, and a couple of them look like they've been at the bottom of a well for several years!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/reverendgaddy/DSCI1030.jpg[/img]
another inage: [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/reverendgaddy/DSCI1027.jpg]HERE[/url]
BTW: the "log cabin" pennies are awesome! Just got a few and I dig 'em.
Hi Everyone!

Interesting. Mine is different from all of the above. The date is 1990. At the top where IN GOD WE TRUST is, it says, "WE TRUST IN GOD". On the left, where LIBERTY is, it says, "FREEDOM". Flipping the coin over, we find instead of UNITED STATES of AMERICA, it's, "UNITED STATES". At the bottom where ONE CENT is, it says, "PENNY". And finally. above the Memorial, where E PLURBIS UNUM is, it says, "COPY".

I've had this coin for years and my Johnson Expanded Dollar Shell fits it perfectly. I've only used it for the "Spellbound" effect, and it always gets great reactions.

I wonder if any of you have seen or know about this coin. I'm not sure it's a Sudbury.

Thanks!

Doug
Doug,
I bought a couple of the new log cabin pennies recently.
Today I went to the Magicians round table here in Denver and asked if anyone had a sudbury penny. No one did, but one guy had the same coin you described.
On his, the Lincoln head looked a little wierd, but it had all the other items you mentioned.

The log cabin penny is great, except for the thickness. It seems to be twice as thick as it should be. It is pure copper and "face on" looks very real.
Hi Everyone,

I found a small stash of original Sudbury coins. Please contact me via PM if you are interested.

Thanks,

Paul Green
I got my original Sudbury penny from Paul Green in the mail today.

All I can say is that I'm extremely glad that these were available. It is just what I hoped it would be!

Sammy
I just picked up a Sudbury Penny in very good condition on Ebay for $11.05 including shipping!
[quote]
On 2012-01-05 22:48, Fastlife wrote:
I just picked up a Sudbury Penny in very good condition on Ebay for $11.05 including shipping!
[/quote]

Wow! I paid $50.00 each for brand new original Sudbury pennys.

Good find Fastlife!

Sammy
IS there any other information on these pennies? I am fascinated by them.
This is the only one I can find in the U.S. Cablerock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-1-Ounce-Copper-Penny-Coin-Size-Of-Silver-Dollar-New-Uncirculated-/251051291030?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3a73d2b196

Doug
I just scored 2 american ones and 2 canadian ones on Ebay this week. ~10-12 each. I got one of the american ones. I'll take some pics for you guys.
Got my first Lincoln Sudbury penny a few days ago and I love it! A few things:

It's a bit larger than a silver dollar. Maybe ~.5-1 mm, if I had to guess. I'm going to take it to the sharpening stone for a while to get it to the exact same size.

Also, it was shiny as ever when I got it. No matter what I did, I could not get the copper to start tarnishing. I eventually took my 7 way nail buffer, and buffed part of it. Sure enough, it began tarnishing quickly after I did this. I realized that there must be some coating over the coin. It was probably wax.

For a day or two it got quite tarnished but in the grooves where I couldn't get the buffer, there would be completely shiny areas, so I just scratched those areas as I saw them with something plastic (read: soft) and little scrapings of wax would come off. Now it looks great, like an old, dull penny!

The other thing I noticed was at first the edges were almost sharp. Again I just used the nail buffer to smooth them out enough that I didn't have to worry about getting sliced.
A true Sudbury penny will state Sudbury Canada on the tails side, below the Lincoln Memorial, and will probably be dated 1965.

Cablerock is correct that the Sudbury penny is slightly larger than a Morgan Silver Dollar.

There are other dollar sized copper penny coins out there, but they aren't Sudbury pennies.

Sammy
I got myself 3 sudbury Lincoln pennies and two Canadian ones. 3 have arrived so far, and only one (the first I got) is thinner than a Morgan by about 15% or so. The others are either the same thickness or a tiny bit thicker. They are all definitely the same thing, but it appears as though there are some differences in thickness on these as well. Good thing to note.
[quote]
On 2010-06-30 20:43, gaddy wrote:
Who could I approach to get one of those silver-dollar sized 2009 log cabin pennies turned into an expanded shell?

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!
[/quote]

I would suggest Roy Kueppers out of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He does excellent coing and shell work. Just google his name and you will be taken to his website.

Ray
All of my sudbury pennies that I have gotten except one are thicker than a morgan dollar. One Lincoln penny is a bit thinner, and I love it so much!
Sorry to everybody who isn't me about constantly posting in this particular thread. I've fallen in love with these coins, and now own 2 Lincolns (lost one apparently) and 2 Canadian pennies. I have 2 more Canadian ones on the way and I JUST won a Silvertone canadian penny? Does anybody know about these? I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Here's a picture of the one I just won of ebay: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDU1WDEwMzI=/$(KGrHqFHJ!0E-bKTNDR9BPu+JRM!9g~~60_58.JPG
It's possible that the silvertone one may be aluminum.
[quote]
On 2012-05-29 20:12, NicholasD wrote:
It's possible that the silvertone one may be aluminum.
[/quote]

Could be. We'll see in a few days. Eventually I'll post more info on these as I come across it.
Here's a pic of my suburry pennies in different stages of wear, and the new silvertone canadian cent as well. NicholasD I think you're right. It feels like aluminum. It weighs nothing, but it's so nice looking that it doesn't bother me.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/img20120616160619.jpg/
Just won 3 more of these off Ebay this week! Got a canadian one, too but unfortunately I *just* missed out on this http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200812422255#ht_500wt_1182

which is apparently an aluminum? one but in copper tone. Weird. I hope a fellow magician got ahold of it, as I have a silver aluminum one.

Does anyone know if there were variations to the Lincoln sudbury penny? Also, what exactly is the difference between a Sudbury and the Sudbury II, in terms of how they look, not who made them?
A number of years ago, I came across a copper colored Lincoln Sudbury made of aluminum.

There is a small difference between the look of an original Sudbury and the Sudbury II. The original, when new, looks like a real uncirculated cent and tarnishes like a real copper cent would. The SudburyII, while very well made, doesn't quite have those qualities.
[quote]
On 2012-09-05 19:54, NicholasD wrote:
A number of years ago, I came across a copper colored Lincoln Sudbury made of aluminum.

There is a small difference between the look of an original Sudbury and the Sudbury II. The original, when new, looks like a real uncirculated cent and tarnishes like a real copper cent would. The SudburyII, while very well made, doesn't quite have those qualities.
[/quote]

Interesting. Well I am officially putting my feelers out for some of those, as I have an unhealthy interest in collecting things, and these seem to be one of those things.

The reason I ask about the difference is because I got one recently, which is identical to the others (and it is tarnishing like the others now) but it is missing the "CA ART DIES" on the front. Everything else is identical except this.
I'll go ahead and bump my favorite thread once again.

I got my hands on a strange sudbury penny, maybe one of you has seen it or has information on it.
It's a lincoln penny, and it is copper plated, but underneath is some other metal that is silver in color. It isn't aluminum, as it is quite heavy, but the metal is soft compared to copper or silver. When you flip it it doesn't 'ring' like copper coins and silver coins do, it's more of a dull thump. And it tarnishes darker than the others.

Here's a picture of one.
http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p584/topchef-2007/Coin%20Lot%2013-1/IMG_4222.jpg

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p584/topchef-2007/Coin%20Lot%2013-1/IMG_4222.jpg

Any ideas?
I got one like this on Ebay. Seems like it's a pot metal copy of the original Sudbury. The seller was claiming that it was an original Sudbury, but I kept it because it was so inexpensive.
That's also where I got mine. I wonder when they were produced, as the two I have look like they've been chewed up.
Mine actually looks pretty good, but as you mentioned, it sounds terrible.
By chewed up I meant they had clearly been dropped a few times, and the edges were dented. Fortunately since it's such a soft metal it was easy to smooth out. I am also pretty happy with how it looks, in all honesty.
Ahhh, look what I found! And the price!

http://www.rnt2.com/lincoln-wheat-penny-dollar-size-39mm.html

Doug
[quote]On Jan 25, 2015, Dougini wrote:
Ahhh, look what I found! And the price!

http://www.rnt2.com/lincoln-wheat-penny-dollar-size-39mm.html

Doug [/quote]

Cool - Great price. Looks like the same ones Lassen is using for his commercial sets:

https://coolotis.wordpress.com/2015/01/23/over-at-the-strictly-from-commercial-site/