(Close Window)
Topic: Headset Frame for Lavalier Mics?
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Jul 1, 2007 03:30PM)
Hi Guys (& Gals),

I own a DPA 4066 headset microphone that I use with my SHURe wireless receiver. It is the best investment in sound that I've made in a LONG time.

This is my question:

I have several top-quality lavalier mics (Seinheiser MK-22; Countryman B-3, others). Does anyone know of a headset rig that a lavalier microphone can be attached to, turning the lavalier into a headset mic?

Thanks for your help.

Lou
What I made once to get the lav mic closer to my mouth was this:

You need a gimcrack or a Malloy mic holder. Then get a stiff piece of copper wire with a rubber coating. You can get this at home depot or lowes etc.

twist one end of the copper to the gimcrak mic holder. Attach the lav mic to the sire and hold it in place with a thin nylon strap. You can make the copper wire as long as you need depending on how close to your mouth you want it. I experimented with this for a while worked ok.

The only problem is that you can't turn your head right or left you need to turn your body or the mic won't pick up the sound.

More experimenting will make it better.

John
Message: Posted by: Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie (Jul 1, 2007 04:19PM)
Lou,
Sennhiser makes the NB2 headset adapter, in black and in beige. That's the only commercially-available one I know of.

I've also hand-made several for magicians and other performers, from two pieces of thin, stainless-steel wire: the main frame, and the boom arm. I've attached a photo of two prototypes.

The left one is pretty close to the final version. Note the two accordion folds behind the ears to allows for the size of the performer's head. The black areas were dipped in a rubber-like coating solution. There's a pigtail curl at the rear-centre into which the mic's cable can be fed so that the cable dresses down the middle of the wearer's back.

The right photo shows a fully-assembled, albeit older, version. The second piece has been attached, that being the boom arm. Like the main frame, the boom arm has a couple of pigtail curls to neatly dress the cable, and is rubber-dipped. It's attached to the main frame with black shrink-tube that is used in electronic repair shops.

Some of my these have been in use for a couple of years, and work flawlessly.

If you want to try this, first place you existing lav mic in the appropriate location behind your mouth and try it. You need to be sure that your beltpack will not overload due to having the mic so much closer to your mouth.

No, I won't be making any more. I have [b]FAR[/b] too much on my plate as it is!
Cheers from Toronto!
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Jul 1, 2007 04:23PM)
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips. Dan, I will check Sennheiser, since you are too busy to make anymore. Too bad though! :(

As always, I appreciate the help!

Lou
Nice: Sennhiser NB2 It's only $57.00 online
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Jul 1, 2007 05:08PM)
Hey Dan,

I'm having problems finding someone to ship the Sennheiser NB2 headset adapter to Canada. Any ideas or suggestions?

Lou
Message: Posted by: Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie (Jul 1, 2007 05:30PM)
[quote]
On 2007-07-01 18:08, illusions & reality wrote:
Hey Dan,

I'm having problems finding someone to ship the Sennheiser NB2 headset adapter to Canada. Any ideas or suggestions?

Lou
[/quote]
[url=http://www.westbury.com]Westbury National Show Systems[/url] in Toronto. 416-752-1371. Ask for Jeff Cunningham.
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Jul 1, 2007 05:46PM)
Thanks Dan!

Lou
Message: Posted by: Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie (Jul 1, 2007 09:03PM)
My pleasure, Lou!
I'm always happy to contribute when I think I can help (or I need help), and when the "thread noise" isn't deafening.