(Close Window)
Topic: MagicCelebration Colon, AUG. 1-4 FREE!
Thanks to our corporate sponsors we are able to offer all of the events FREE of charge this year here in Colon in conjunction with magic week. Our sponsors believe in what we are trying to accomplish here and this year's support has been overwhelming! So.....here is the lineup- and with the exception to the Saturday evening show - all events are FREE of charge! We hope you can join us in the magic capital of the world August 1-4. Schedule Of Events

Wednesday August 1
9:00 am -6:00 pm - FAB Magic Shop open - On-going FREE Magic Demonstrations
1:00 pm - Michael BAKER LECTURE at the FAB Magic Shop - FREE!
6:00 - 9:00 pm - FAB Shop closed for dinner - REOPEN at 9:00pm - 11:00pm

Thursday August 2
9:00 am - 6:00 pm - FAB Magic Shop open - On-going FREE Magic Demonstrations
1:00 pm - JIMMY 'CARDS' MOLINARI LECTURE at the FAB Magic Shop -FREE!
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm - FAB shop closed for dinner - REOPEN at 9:00pm - 11:00pm
7:00 pm - FREE Close-Up Show at Clancy's Restaurant featuring: John Born, Joseph
Young, Michael Baker, Jimmy Molinari, Cory Fisher

Friday August 3rd
9:00 am - 6:00 pm - FAB Magic Shop open - On-going FREE Magic Demonstrations
1:00 pm - JOHN BORN LECTURE at the FAB Magic Shop - FREE
3:00 pm - JACK BARROWS MEMORIAL SERVICE - Lakeside Cemetery
6:30 pm - ALL STAR CLOSE-UP REVIEW - Clancy's Restaurant FREE!W/John Born, Jimmy Molnari and others!
11:00 pm - MAD,MAD,MAD AUCTION at FAB Magic Shop - FREE!

Saturday August 4th
9:00 am - 5:00 pm - FAB Magic Shop open - On-going FREE Magic Demonstrations
12:30 pm - JOSEPH YOUNG LECTURE at the FAB Magic Shop - FREE!
2:00 pm - FREE KIDS SHOW AT FAB MAGIC SHOP
7:00 pm - MAGIC EXTRAVAGANZA at Sturges-Young Auditorium - Sturgis,Michigan
Featuring: Michael Baker, Sean Scott, Riley Rabbit, Joseph Young &
The Mirror Images - Roy Huston & Company

TICKETS $9.00 ADULTS ~ $5.00 CHILDREN 12 & UNDER
AVAILABLE AT THE STURGES-YOUNG AUDITORIUM OR FROM
FAB MAGIC COMPANY - UNRESERVED SEATING
Rick
I wish you the best, and hopefully it won't be as stinking hot as it was last year.
Good luck Rick. Brian
Thanks so much! Al...you were a real trouper in the heat last year...we certainly enjoyed having you...
I wish I had more time to stay in town while I was there. I wanted to take a look around again and pick some things up. But I was just happy to be there for Jack's memorial.
A GIANT THANK YOU! to all those who helped make MagiCelebration 2007 a huge success! We had record numbers for both our lectures and evening show on Saturday night. We appreciate everyone's patronage and to our performers: Michael Baker, Jimmy Molinari, Joseph Young, The Mirror Images, Sean Scott and Roy & Yuka Huston, we couldn't have done it without you! Michael Baker was nice enough to stick around on Saturday night to help load out the big Huston show.....we just figured out why we work out of a suitcase table these days!I cannot say enough about all of our performers who worked their "tails" off to assure their audience's saw the best magic had to offer. Plans are already in the works for 2008 and performers already being booked. Stay tuned!!!!!
Was the auditorium in Sturgis as air-conditioned? The auditorium at the Colon High School was like a sauna from h*ll, especially during the Saturday show - it was hard to breathe in there, all four nights.

FAB did have the air going in the shop quite well, but Saturday did present quite a challenge, with so many people going in and out of the shop. I caught the Born lecture and it was excellent! It was worth missing the close-up show for. I would have seen more lectures, except for the differing schedules between the shops.
The air conditioning was great! Nice and comfortable - good seeing you Al....
On a side note..it was nice talking to hundreds of magicians in the shop including, Marshall Brodien, John Moehring,Phil Wilmarth & Robbie Wilmarth, Al the Only, Gay Blackstone to name just a few. Meeting Sandy Marshall (Jay's son) and his wife to let us know MAGIC INC. in Chicago is STILL going strong! They are doing fine despite rumors of closing and business has increased. We wish them well! They are a magical institution!
Rick, you and your performers were outstanding!!!
Your Friend,
James
Rick,

It's good to hear that the auditorium had the air working great. I may very well be skipping the Abbott's evening show in favor of the one that you book - I can catch some entertainers at other conventions, that keep the attendees comfortable. The audience needs to be comfortable in order to watch a show. It would be great if both shops .....okay, so that probably won't happen, although I doubt that you would have a problem with joining forces with Abbott's on Magic Week. It would be nice if Abbott's would come around to realizing that $140 is too much to pay to endure torture.

FAB was a great place to hangout, to escape the heat and humidity, as well as seeing the products. I couldn't take being in the Abbott's dealer room, at the elementary school.
Rick & Co.,

Good stuff all the way around. Hope to be there again next year!

Greg
Greg...It was nice to meet you on Thursday. Your handling of the linking rings was very nice. Now only if I could get my wife to buy me a set.
Best wishes,
James
Hi Rick,
Thank you for your hospitality during Magic Week 2007. It was a true pleasure to see you again and we look forward to coming back to Colon Mich in 2008 and spending more time in FAB Magic! You truly are a class act and we wish you the greatest of success!

Tony & Beth
Springfield, IL
One more thing...The magic Café's very own Michael Baker lectured at FAB and it was AWESOME! A true gentlemen and an extremely knowledgable Magi! If you have the chance to attend Michaels lecture, cancel your plans and get a good seat. GREAT JOB Michael!
Tony
I had a great time. A big thanks to the whole Fisher family for their hospitality.
Got to meet Michael Baker and hang out with John Born....can't ask for anything better than that. Got to see other old friends there, Danny Archer, Obie O'Brien, Marshall Brodien, Phil Wilmarth and of course got to meet some new friends.
Had an awesome time in Colon this past week. It was nice to meet some "OLD" friends such as Michael Baker! Ok I did not mean old in age or did I? ha! Plus it was great to make some new friends that I had not met in the past.

Greg.... it was a pleasure to have lunch with you and hang out. Thanks for your support at the close-up and stage shows.

Alan...thanks for letting me use your body mic holder for the close-up contest at Curly's bar. The holder made it so much easier to win my first close-up award performing the money act. I enter just to see how it would play in a bar. They must of liked it.

Jimmy Mollinari and John Born....I will be on the plane flying to St. Louis Midwest Jubilee of Magic on Thursday. Looking forward to working with you there too. WOW back 2 back Weeks!

Finally.... Rick Fisher did an awesome job putting the "MAGIC" in Colon, MI. Plus Rick's Vent act with Rilley the Rabbit KILLS! My son just loved it!

Keep the Magic Going!

Joseph Young
Joseph,

It's good to hear that you won! I won a few years ago and it was a surprise.

Hopefully, I'll find out who placed in the contest at Curly's. They didn't announce the winners until late - I had to stay awake for the drive to Coldwater, where I was staying.
I had a great time this year too. It was great seeing you Alan. Let's get together sometime before next year.

Congrats to Joseph Young for winning the Curly's. It was great to meet you. I fallowed him in second place and I believe Don Wand took third.

Ron Jaxon
[quote]
On 2007-08-06 15:18, Jaxon wrote:
I had a great time this year too. It was great seeing you Alan. Let's get together sometime before next year.
[/quote]
Sounds like a plan. I'll be in touch.
Congradulations Ron
Whew! This is the first chance I've had to get online since I left home over a week ago.

I had a blast in Colon!! What a great time, in spite of the heat. Made some great friends and saw some wonderful magic.

Congrats on the close-up contest Joseph!

Tony, I'm glad you liked the lecture "stuff". Thanks for the kind words. For anyone in the areas, I will be lecturing in Peoria tomorrow (Aug 7) and in Des Moines on Thursday (Aug 9).

It was a pleasure being on the same bills as all the other wonderful talent... no, I take that back... it was an honor and a pleasure!

Rick, you do a great job with this convention, and I thank you for the opportunity to work with you. I hope we can do it again in the future!

~michael
Thanks so much to all of you...YOU all made it possible..and it was worth it! I thoroughly enjoyed working with all of you...you were all true professionals and it made my job easy...It was FUN! We will do it again next year!!!
Good job doing what you do. Just one question, all along you said you were trying to get more people to Colon, so why was your only public show not in Colon?

confused and feeling ganged up on for the weather,
BJ Mallen

ps Alan, if attending the Abbott Magic Get Together is enduring torture as you described it then why was this your 29th year?
BJ.......you know the answer to that question..there IS no other place to hold a stage show in Colon. And yes...we did bring more people to Colon.....all you had to do was stop by the shop and talk to the hundreds of NEW people who were there for the first time. We spent major $$ promoting this event and it showed...come by next year and see for yourself.........there is no need in getting defensive. We have lots to work on ourselves to make this event bigger and better.....and we intend to do just that....stay tuned....Rick Fisher
Some of the above coversation sounds like an Aesop Fable come to life...

BJ,

I recall talking to MANY non-officially-orange-tagged magicians who came to Colon. I know a number of them who also paid for admittance to various fee-based events during the 4 days. Seems to me that added a few extra bucks to the coffers in Colon and at the Get-Together.

As one of Rick's hired guns, I did my part to be equally hospitable to everyone I met, regardless of whose flag they were there to salute. It also seems to me that a bit less elective segregation would benefit everyone concerned. I'm sure Rick's "open door" policy was more appreciated, than not.

All of us involved thought Rick did a bang up job considering he basically had to work with the leftovers, or create from scratch. I respect and honor that, but having organized conventions myelf, I don't exactly envy it. It took some serious hard work to do what he did.

Regarding the Saturday evening show at the auditorium in Sturgis, of which I was a small part, although it breached the city limits of Colon, it opened the week into more of an area or regional event. I suppose it takes an open mind to see that the magic doesn't stop at the cemetery.

A large percentage of the audience we played to on Saturday were locals. That's pretty darn good PR by most standards. It is not unreasonable to imagine that some of these people may be prompted to venture into Colon during future events, based on the quality of show we gave them. Enjoy the revenue it brings, and consider it a gift. No thanks are necessary. It's what we do.

Regards,

~michael
[quote]
On 2007-08-07 21:08, BJ Mallen wrote:
ps Alan, if attending the Abbott Magic Get Together is enduring torture as you described it then why was this your 29th year?
[/quote]
Simple. I don't take the heat as well as I used to. I'm just saying that the hot conditions at the high school gym can be controlled. The existing air conditioner isn't designed to handle that many people - supplemental units are needed. I'm not saying it to be mean. I'm saying it to point out an opportunity.
I was there last year, and the tempreture was 95 degrees, with 95% humidity. I don't think anyone should be surprised if it is just as hot next August. Congradulations BJ, and Rick for packing them in. Did anyone notice my picture on the wall at Curly's?
[quote][i]On 2007-08-08 11:46, Al Angello wrote...[/i]

I was there last year, and the tempreture was 95 degrees, with 95% humidity. I don't think anyone should be surprised if it is just as hot next August. Congradulations BJ, and Rick for packing them in. Did anyone notice my picture on the wall at Curly's?[/quote]I saw your picture at Curly's, Al, and I drew a mustache on it! Oh, wait, you already have a mustache in that picture. ;)
Greg
Thank you
Al
Actually Al. I looked for it at Curly's but I didn't see it. There might be a reason for that though. If you look at the video of me performing at Curly's in the "you oughta be in picture" section here on the Café. I'm standing right by the wall with all the pictures and some of them can't be seen because of the DJ equipment. So it might have been hidden. I know a few where.

I did see yours on the wall at FAB though. Here's the deal. I forgot my pool stick at Curly's. I have to drive back there sometime this week. I'll let you know if I can see it then.

Ron Jaxon
For all those who came to our Saturday night show (549 to be exact) and for those who made reservations for next year August 6-9th...we have some exciting surprises for you! Every year our FREE lectures get bigger and better and next year is our 5th anniversary! Once again, no registration fee for any of the events with the exception of the evening show. This makes it the only FREE magic gathering on the planet! Stay tuned for exciting news coming very soon! Again, thank you to all of the performers and for all of you who came in to our standing room only lectures, close-up shows and of course our Mad, Mad Auction that lasted til 3 am on Saturday! It was loads of fun!!!