(Close Window)
Topic: There Is No Sawdust In These Veins.
I started out really excited about finally being able to go on the road with a real sideshow (for the past 3 years I had hoped,begged and pleaded with my parents to let me go for the summer, now that I'm done with school and I'm 18 it was fine), even better it was Ward Hall's show, The World of Wonders. Once I got the word that I was "accepted" by Ward, I went shopping trying to find show clothes that would suit Ward's liking i.e. sparkles and razzle dazzle, not my idea of show clothes, but that's fine, I was working for someone else this time.

I found some suitable clothes, and bought my plane ticket to New York, NY.

I arrived a week before the Meadowlands Fair started, so I spent some time in NYC, I went to Monday Night Magic, had dinner with the performers, I spent time with Todd Robbins and had a ball at Coney Island.

I got to know the performers at Sideshow By The Seashore in Coney, I hung out with Donny Vomit (Inside Talker/Blockhead/Chainsaw juggler), I attempted to talk with Chuy The Wolf Boy (one of the famed wolf boys of Mexico), his english isn't that great so we ended up exchanging hellos, chatted with Insectavora (fire eater/whips and rope work), talked to Serpentina and got to know Heather Holiday (sword swallower/blade box).

As the week went on and continued to get better, I started to wonder about how I would be living on the road, what kind of shower facilities would I have and even more, who would be on the tour with me?

Now my story stops there for tonight.
You didn't know it would have multiple parts did you!!!

I've got to have some sort of fun.

Brett.
This photo was taken the same day Brett was there.But I didn't know he was there so we never met.

[url]http://i17.tinypic.com/5z19yjb.jpg[/url]

Don
That photo is huge.
Miss goodbye to more bandwidth ...

nips will be happy!
Haha...Coney looks as crummy as when I was there in the 50's. Life goes on.
I know,I couldn't believe how big it was either.

Don
Welcome to the rebirth of the serial novella.....lol
AAAAAUUUGGHH!!!!! The suspense is Maddening!!! Where's the next part!! *L*
The true heart of a showman, Brett, keep'em wanting more.

Don, your picture is huge, now I have to scroll left and right to read this thread :). But, I would rather have the huge cool pic than none, thanks for posting it.
Pardon me sir may I have some more..........
Sure.

Sooner or later.
NO FAIR!!

Serial storytelling is mean! but when done well it's an art form..
[quote]
As the week went on and continued to get better, I started to wonder about how I would be living on the road, what kind of shower facilities would I have and even more, who would be on the tour with me?
[/quote]

Those questions were to be answered sooner than I would have liked.

While I was in the city that week, I made some life long friends, got some good connections and saw some really interesting stuff, including attending a lecture about sideshows and dime museums given by James Taylor himself.

As the week was wrapping it's self up, I began to feel anxious about leaving the comforts of my aunt and uncle's home, but I was told by a bunch of people, "not to worry". Others told me it would be awful, so I didn't know what to think.

I had already tried to prepare myself for the worst, I imagined terrible conditions, low pay (which I already knew was reality, but I was doing it to live the history, not for the money) and the Porta-Johns.

I woke up at 7AM on Monday morning, took the last real shower I would have for the rest of the summer, it lasted an hour and a half, I was cleaner that I've ever been. I did this thinking that the cleaner I was the longer it would take for me to get dirty, I found out later that this is just not true.

I got dressed in a set of good clothes, not nice clothes mind you... just plain good ones, because I knew I'd be working on putting up the tent later that day. My aunt and uncle took me out for a big breakfast that morning, I had no idea that this meal was the last bit of free food I'd be getting ( I was made to think that I would have a perdiem... I didn't) for quite a while.

From the resturant we started off to New Jersey, All I knew was that the Fair was in the parking-lot of Giant Stadium. I slept on the way there to avoid worrying about the months to come.

Eventually we got to the Meadowlands and made our way into the parking lot, but where was everone? Why wasn't Ward or Chris answering their phones and how come none of the carnys knew where the sideshow was setting up at?

Brett.
Oooooooo...the suspense!
I'm not sure who fixed my photo so its just a link...but thanks!

Don
Brett you wanted to know where the tent was going to be staked out...look for the 3' circle of Pete's Urine....and the tiny !@#$-written signature in the grass that says pete was here.......lol.....It's a lot easier playing the Meadowlands's when your show takes up the whole continental arena....then you definitely know where you're parked!

Waiting in Anticipation for the Next round.....I see possum bellies in our future!

Adam
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jul 22, 2007 08:53AM)
Ward & Chris answer their phones about 10% of the time. The carny's NEVER know where to set up because Ward & Chris are always the last to show.
I guess when you get to become the "old-school" members of the midway certain standards relax....or you just plain don't give a sh@t anymore!
And now for chapter 2 of this ongoing saga...............?????????????????
It's coming.

I've just been really lazy lately.

More will come either today or tommorow.

Brett.
Or the day after!
Brett,

You just did a week with Ward Hall...how tough can it be to post a story?

Don
Really really hard, especially when you have a real bed, clean sheets and a working shower.

I'll get to it.

Brett.
Bret is writing hi8s book. This needs to be refined and acceptable to be an excerpt.
LOL!

Geez Bret! Haven't you ever gone camping!?

:)

Keith
Yeah, for three weeks I lived in a leaky box van.
Yet you've still not had enough time to finish this story.........
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Who shot J.R.?

Who killed Laura Palmer?

How did Hiro end up in Feudal Japan?

And what happened next to Brett????!!!

We're waiting for the answers!!!!

--Jon
Patiently sitting in the waiting room drumming fingers on the table.
I'm assuming that Brett has had a change of heart...and won't be sharing the rest of the story with us?

--Jon
No surely not, he’s probably just trying to get the porta Jon fluid out of his system!
It's coming!

Hold your horses!

Brett.
Dave...that's too funny....LOL....HEY...WAIT A SECOND....!!!!
The Whole Liberty Act as learned to do a soft shoe dance routine in the time it's taken for us to "Hold Our Horses"....come on now, it can't be that juicy....just spit it out already, or say enough said!

Thanks!
Methinks young Brett is caught with the LHD (lazy human disease)...
[quote]
On 2007-08-01 12:08, Freak Prodigy wrote:
It's coming!

Hold your horses!

Brett.
[/quote]

Bret the horse is Glue and dog food already!
Come on guys...Brett can't post it...he's currently in China researching a Noodle Act. Soon as he's back I'm sure he'll post.
All the noodlehouses in China have internet Café's at the tables. Geez, EVERYone knows that!
Not in the remote village he's in...sorry nips but there are places without electricity still...wouldn't ya know it that's where he is.
Ok, so it’s going to be up to the newbie to handle this… so be it.

I don’t know too much, clearly not as much as some of you oldsters, but I know a bally when I see it, and I can tell when the tip is building…

I can also tell you when to turn the tip…

Brett,

Here is my $20 to your paypal account for the WHOLE UNABBRIDGED Story. I’ll Keep it close, respect your Copyright and enjoy it regularly... as long as you don't go making it a givie afterwards.

It’s as close as Ill get to Sawdust in my veins at my age… A first hand account, from an aspiring artist who can write too.

It’s clearly what is necessary to have the story and have it now…

Full story, no holding out, send me an email with the final word count and your paypal address, (steve(AT)Gemeny(dot)com )and we’ll call it a sealed deal.

Now the rest of you can act like lemmings… get in line...
(‘cus he ain’t posting it once he’s turned the tip…) ;>)

Steve
Steve,

Brett was only out for a week.I was out for two years.I have LOTS of $20.00 stories.

Thanks,
Don
Buy two and Don might even throw in a swiss warbler.
Don ain't doing no bally here... Don't see no tip...

Might buy one of Don's CDs though... seems to have worked out well for Brett... He's using what he learned.

Brett, you did learn this method from Don's CD, right?

Steve
I was out for 3 weeks Don! Jeeze!

Okay guys,
The rest of the story really is on it's way, no use trying to pay for it. You will all get the same info at the same time.

Let me finish the whole thing first!

Brett.
Holly Crap, Brett... And here I was thinking what a great pitch you were doing.

Steve
He is (trying to)
Brett, it was three weeks that will last a life time and sooner or later you'll be glad you did it, otherwise you would have always wondered "What if". Don't let it keep you from taking a chance in the future, bad experiences make the man as well as the good ones. Keep it up, you'll find your way and it will be your way.
Oh...THREE WEEKS with Ward and Chris...Now I understand.No wonder you're so depressed.

Don
It's enough to make one change species.
So THAT'S who you use for a live model, Doug?
I now see it's been close to 3 weeks since young Brett has returned from WOW....must be a good story to take longer than he was actually with ward and chris to write it!
There is a moral to this story..."Get a life." I did and now I don't care what happened to Brett...in fact I refuse to read it when it is posted. Not only that but...
[quote]
On 2007-08-01 12:08, Freak Prodigy wrote:
It's coming!

Hold your horses!
[/quote]
Okay, I'm holding a miniature horse. And I've got a two-headed pig on a leash (well, two leashes).

So get out of the leaky trailer and tell us more!
[quote]
On 2007-08-06 12:13, Doug Higley wrote:
There is a moral to this story..."Get a life." I did and now I don't care what happened to Brett...in fact I refuse to read it when it is posted. Not only that but...

[/quote]

Geee Doug . . you've already heard the whole story, what about the rest of us. Don't we deserve a few crumbs, maybe a smidgen :)
Oh...oops...I thought you forgot.
Gooble gobble
The power of a poorly written cliff hanger is amazing! Man, on, man...fine! here is the next installment.

[quote]
...where was everone? Why wasn't Ward or Chris answering their phones and how come none of the carnys knew where the sideshow was setting up at?
[/quote]

As I was standing there, sweating behind the Crazy Mouse ride, with a bright blue suit draped over one arm, a large hat box in the other hand and two luggage cases by my side, I began to walk.

I walked all over that d*mn lot with all of my stuff, looking, sweating, worrying and calling Ward and Chris. Finally I circle the entire fair without seeing them and Chris calls me back.

"Where are ya?! Did ja git here O.K.?"

"Hey, Chris, I got here fine but I can't find the f*cking spot!"

"Well, where tha hell areya kid? I'll pick ya up"

"I'm in the middle of the fair, the stadium is behind me and the Crazy Mouse is in front of me."

"Ahhhgggg, yer gonna laugh your a** off when ya find out where we've bin! I'll be there in two minutes."

"Okay, see ya"

Ten minutes later, I get a call. It was Chris.

"Sorry kid, Ward was askin' all kind of f*u*kin questions, and tha pygmy sh*t."

"Oh, alright then, do you know how much longer you'll be?"

"Ugghh, I'll be there in like two minutes. K K?"

"See ya then."

Two minutes later Chris comes driving up with a crazy grin on his face, I put my things in the back seat, and hopped in.

I'm not so sure of how to express what went on next, but as we drove off, Chris started talking, and I couldn't understand a thing the man said!

I've been talking to Ward and Chris over the phone for at least three years by this point and have never had trouble understanding Chris, but talking to him face to face was insane, all I heard was "Uhhggg,ahhh, yeah, ugg" just grumbles. I finally began to understand him as we pulled up to the tent, he was telling me how funny I would think the the situation was.

Turned out that the tent was right across from the Crazy Mouse ride. I laughed,but I didn't think it was funny. Then Chris began to laugh, which was a little off putting since he is built and just so happens to move like a giant robot, and his laugh does not match him at all.

I unloaded the car and put my things under the tent as requested by Chris. I then met one of my hero's, a man that I've looked up to ever since I got into the business, I met Ward Hall.

"Well, Hello there Mr. Loudermilk, you're going to have to change those clothes, you wouldn't want to ruin those nice new looking ones. You llok like a fine young man, now go find Jimmy Long."

I said hello, shook his hand and thought to myself "I'm going to have a great time."

I changed clothes and then found Jimmy.

Now, there is no way of describing Jimmy in words, other than he is like a broad, hillbilly yoda with a really bad attitude, and a language all his own. There for he won't be appearing in my story very much, because you can't write the words he uses, it's that difficult to understand him.

However Jimmy did say, "Go where tha work is!"

More later.

Brett.
Brett, do you intend to relate your 3 week experience in 10 minute vignettes?

If so, we may be here some time.

Reading of your experience with interest,

Corona.
I'm waiting to hear what was so bad I guess...

So far it seems like the typical issues with a typical gig...

Hopefully this gets juicy!

Keith
That's it after three weeks of a build up...milk it but please don't treat me like a MARK !

Brett you can do better than that.
Ironically the post describing Brett's true intentions for this story were deleted by the powers that be..let's just say he's planning on selling the story not giving it away for free!
Well if he's aiming at Shocked and Amazed, he can whistle to the moon...James doesn't pay for stuff. Could be an auto biography...what with the past 18 years being so...uh...hmmm...enhancing (?) he should get about 400 pages out of it.
Keep in mind how long it took to write and film Gone With Wind...now double it...but is it about Brett or Scarlet? Or did the Butler do it? Challenge is, Loudermilk don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no books...

with suitable dispatch.

I suspect an interpretive dance is in order.
"How I went without a proper shower for 3 weeks" by B. Loudermilk.

Not quite chewing your own arm off, but might make one of the fashion monthlies.

Corona.
Three weeks on the road and you can write a book about it ? I don't think Brett believes that for one minute.

Don
Hey Don...since when did you go all serious and stuff???
Since I got tired of all the B.S. (many years ago)
He hadn't chewed off his arm, up to the day before he left WOW. I remember that he used both hands to tuck in his costume shirt, before he went on stage.

I think he just didn't like the ruffles on the shirt.
LOL, I'm sure Brett looked awfully purdy with all those ruffles!
Actually that was my tux shirt, didn't mind those too much. And I didn't look too shabby when I was clean.

It was that red sparkle vest Ward forced me to wear.

I don't plan on making any money off this, I just want it out there in a physical form, one that won't go away.

Brett.
I know you have a concern for bandwidth and all that Don but when you said: "Since I got tired of all the B.S. (many years ago)"

You actually meant "Since I got tired of all the B.S. (many many many many years ago)"

Yeah...me too...but it's still fun to add to the pile. :)
May it never go away!

It should be branded into your imagination, and become motivation for what you really want to do.
Can we see the interprative dance now?
We do do that stuff over here...that's Limey stuff.
Yes, I hear New York is becoming more English by the day, next they'll be naming it after some town in Yorkshire.
I won’t never forget the time I ran away to join the circus. Well actually it wasn’t a circus, it was a carnival, but back then I thought the shows were all the same. Not much to my story because I don’t think I lasted as long as Brett did and I was long gone. Have to say oh, other than the living conditions, and the hard hard work, it was a fun experience.

So I am really interested in hearing the rest of your story Brett. Love the way you writing it down in detail. Wish I had, it’s been more than forty years for me now, but still with all the memories I’ve lost, I think that experience as a whole will be the last one to go.

I respect those who can do it, but like you I’m glad I found out it’s not for me at an early age. I think Harley said it well, “It should be branded into your imagination, and become motivation for what you really want to do.”

Looking forward to the story, hope to see it here, but if it ever does become a book, put me down for that too.

Tom
One sold over there....one over here sold...another one back there sold...yes sir,right here in front,send up your money up...
Mr. Driver is my manager, if you would like the book "I'm a Surviver", written by Brett Loudermilk, please PayPal 95.00 USD to Don's account.

The book also comes with your choice of Don Driver DVD. Free of charge.

Oh yes, shipping and handling is another 26.38 USD.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Brett.
Brett,
Seems like you did learn something in three weeks,
Haha. Truth Patrol: Brett book Free...Don Driver DVD $95.

This may sound fair but it's not! Shipping is only $24 in reality so Don is keeping TWO DOLLARS! I wouldn't be surprised if he was splitting it with Loudermilk. CBS should be notified for an investigation follow up. Gotta watch these carney types.
Ohhhh, maybe I placed my order to soon. That don't sound like a ‘with it’ discount was included. Like Doug, I got a feeling something just ain’t right about this deal.

Tom
I think I'll wait for the movie :)
Haha...but in keeping with the spirit of it all, there will just be a Trailer. :)
I'm thinking it's time to write a thread about my adventures with Ken, Nicole & Big Bertha! It will be a 3 page serial written over 30 installments...please stay tuned!
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Aug 12, 2007 09:16AM)
Re-name this "the thread that never dies"
I proberly will before he B****Y finishes it!!
Speaking of which Kenny me freind...about that 'debriefing' you were to write up about the Royal Tour??
That`s old news now,,, move on,,,the latest episode in showland will tell of the 20 aborted shows due to floods, the 6 aborted shows down to foot & mouth, the non payment from Council shows due to lack of finance, the shooting on the M40 of a biker who just left the Bulldog Bash,etc etc, and you lot think you have it tough!!! Join the real road as it is as a UK Showman,,,

BTW we are back at Hampton Court in a couple of weeks,,,,providing of course no b***** blows it up first!
Old news my foot. It will be News to me! Turkey butt.

As to all that other stuff, you always knew you should have been a Pizza Chef.
Brett,
I smoke alot...please hurry up...

Don
"Just cause you got the Monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."-George Carlin
Eddie, your on in the plastic bat cabaret!
Can I complete the story?

I bet it goes something like this...

"So I meet up with the sideshow, and it wasn't like the machinations I had created in my mind regarding working a sideshow. It was ACTUAL WORK! Back breaking work... And being only 18, I didn't have a lot of experience being out on my own, and I got a little homesick. I never had to share living quarters before in my life, and aside from the local shows I did (mainly one nighters and such) I didn't know what a drag the grind that doing shows for 12 hours a day could become. It wasn't like the books I read and had very little romance like the show Carnival! that I saw on HBO. And I also didn't get all the personal recognition that I got doing my stuff like I did from my high school buddies and the local community paper. I was just an 18 year old cog in the wheel experiencing life for the first time, and that felt uncomfortable to me, especially never having WORKED like that in my life."

I'd love to hear it from the source, but frankly it has been too long, and I think many of us know this is probably how the story would go...

It's a good/interesting life lesson I think.

Keith
Not quite. Actually far from it.

I decided to just stop writing about it, this story needs to be saved for later days.

Doug knows why.

I'll leave it at that.

Brett.
[quote]
On 2007-08-28 22:58, keithmagic wrote:
Can I complete the story?

I bet it goes something like this...

"So I meet up with the sideshow, and it wasn't like the machinations I had created in my mind regarding working a sideshow. It was ACTUAL WORK! Back breaking work... And being only 18, I didn't have a lot of experience being out on my own, and I got a little homesick. I never had to share living quarters before in my life, and aside from the local shows I did (mainly one nighters and such) I didn't know what a drag the grind that doing shows for 12 hours a day could become. It wasn't like the books I read and had very little romance like the show Carnival! that I saw on HBO. And I also didn't get all the personal recognition that I got doing my stuff like I did from my high school buddies and the local community paper. I was just an 18 year old cog in the wheel experiencing life for the first time, and that felt uncomfortable to me, especially never having WORKED like that in my life."

I'd love to hear it from the source, but frankly it has been too long, and I think many of us know this is probably how the story would go...

It's a good/interesting life lesson I think.

Keith
[/quote]

I'm not too sure that was called for...

Brett, maybe you'd like to publish it in SM? PM if you like.

jdg
Associate Ed./
Content Manger
Street Magic Magazine
Thanks Jamie.
Typical,,,I very seldom get to the climax anymore !!!!
Keith...not fair to Brett really as he has decided with advise from a few others not to write what might be seen as casting aspersions at other personalities.
While some of what you write has truth in it, I think Brett was up to the task of meeting those challenges if there weren't certain other elements and machinations at work that he was not equipt to handle other than to walk away.

It is being approached in this thread as if he made a choice to be embarassed over...it is quite the opposite and one of conflicting standards and principle that speaks to his maturity.
Now that's really funny...thanks Kondini.

Don

P.S. Keith don't ever try to write someone else's story.For one its not the proper thing to do and two,you'll NEVER get it right.

Brett,You should have come back and told everyone you weren't going to finish the story.( I already had that figured out...but than to "I'm WITH IT" )

Don
Perhaps someday young brett or older Don or Doug would share the full story with this recovering circus kid about what really happened...until then I'll see y'all down the road!

~AC
Don...you keep saying here and there you're 'with it'...like there might be a question? Better tell me as I'm about to write your story and print it!

"Once upon a time, a long time ago and many years before...a little boy traded the neighbor lady a Bridge for a sack of magic beans...his name was Donald. Now it wasn't the Brooklyn Bridge. No. It was the lady's own bridge that Donald had found in her front yard while burying his Parakeet in a match box. From that simple transaction a career was born. Realizing if he could sell a person their own teeth back...well there ya go and he was 'with it' from that day forward. Jumping ahead a few years, Donald, now known as 'Don' spends his days walking the sidewalks of whatever town he happerned to light in. Sometimes at the local Kentucky Fried Chicken on the sidewalk next to the Drive-Up window, for a dollar, he will tell you the magic words..."I'm with it it" he says...and the people say 'oooh' but really don't understand the great wisdom they have just been offered...Don doesn't care, he has the dollar...besides he's always busy looking on the ground for some lost teeth."

There. It's published. Did I get it right? :)
Doug...I have no idea what that was.Are you smoking those funny cigarettes again ?
Wow...short term memory huh? That's OK...your legend lives on. Just proof that you can write someone elses story...might not be right but it can be done. haha.

Here's one for my story...No funny cigarettes. Just Marlboro Menthol...that count?
I think what I may have said either sounded off or out of context, from the impression it made by the other posts that followed. For that I apologize.

It was more supposition than truly "writing a story". Sorry if it came across differently.

It was merely the impression that I got after having a very similar experience when I was 17, and posted it in a "creative" way (and truly didn't mean to come off as tasteless, I guess it was more like sarcasm gone amuck? - I didn't insult anyone in it, or mean to if it seemed that way).

Keith
That's okay. Don't worry about it.