(Close Window)
Topic: Alluding to the final loads during the Cups & Balls
I'm not sure if this would work so any opinions would be welcomed.

When performing the cups and balls I have been using fake eggs made from super ball rubber. Before I start the C&B I mention that everyone must see my egg trick, I promise that I'll do it at the end of the act. As I perform the C&B I ask people to remind me what it was I was going to finish with a couple of times. Once the final loads are under the cups I ask again. When I get the reply I pause then reveal the loads saying, "That's the egg trick."

I've done this twice now to very good reactions, but there is a nagging voice in my head that says that I may be distracting the watchers from what is going on during the C&B. What do you think?

Tom
It's not what we think... it is what the audience thinks. Maybe baby chicks? "I waited too long to produce the eggs.... "
My gut reaction is that if the audience reacts the way you want them to, then you have just led them down the garden path and turned on the sprinklers.

Sounds good to me. You might even produce an ostrich egg as a finale.
Check out the video clip of Nick Nicholas performing the Cups and Balls. He has a great "callback" for his loads using a similar concept.
Thanks for that Pete, I laughed so hard I think my pants will never dry!

Tom
Pete's and Bill's idea on the chick and ostrich egg is wonderful.

To add on to that, have two cups producing chicks and the third one the ostrich egg. I kind of like that idea myself.
Bill,
I love the ostrich egg idea, sorry for not mentioning that in my last post.

Dave, I can't find Nick Nicholas' cups and balls, do you think you could give me a clue?

Now, where can I get an ostrich egg...?
[quote]
On 2007-07-22 18:29, Tom Fenton wrote:
Now, where can I get an ostrich egg...?
[/quote]

http://www.indianpointranch.com/ostricheggs.html

contact Christine at:
Indian Point Ostrich Ranch
661-822-9131 ext. 113
E-mail: thenest@indianpointranch.com

kOnO
Try http://www.nicknickolas.com Click on Street Magic.
Thanks guys, jeez you're quick, 6 minutes to find out where to get an ostrich egg and 8 to go to Australia!

BTW, kOnO how did you know that????

Best,
Tom
Mediocre news, Tom:

US egg raisers cannot ship to the UK; however, there are ostrich, emu and rhea egg suppliers in the UK. So go to Google and do a search on Ostrich Egg, Rhea Egg and Emu egg. Emu eggs are a nice deep blue-green.
Thanks for the gen Bill. The Emu egg sounds nice, Ive seen ostrich eggs before and they are quite plain so I think that the emu egg would be better.

BTW, what about the ethics of using "exotic" birds eggs in an act. OK, I know that ostriches aren't endangered but it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Tom
The ostriches, emus and rheas are all farm-raised. The eggs are already blown, so you don't have to pay extra for shipping a 2 kg. egg through the post. You would be receiving an eggshell, not a complete egg.

Since these eggs are produced partially for food and partially so people can make works of art from them, unless the government puts some kind of ban on the sale of the shells, I wouldn't have any negative feeling about it at all.
Thanks for that Bill, I'm glad that that's the case. It was really bothering me.

Best,
Tom
I understand. CITES is one reason that the eggshells can't be shipped internationally, even though these birds are being farm raised. CITES is the Committee on International Trade in Endangered Species. Sometimes things get put on the list that don't belong there, though, because sometimes, their "experts" don't have complete data on a given species.

As an example, one of the fellows who was on the board of CITES was a director at Kew Gardens. He put a cactus species [i]Opuntia Linguiformis[/i] (cow's tongue prickly pear) on the list. He claimed it was extinct. Well, he was totally wrong. The stuff is a nuisance plant. It grows wild all over West Texas. It almost cannot be exterminated. It's also a sterile mutation. It grows by dropping its pads on the ground. When I drove Ted Lesley from Houston to El Paso, I found a section of I-10 that had this stuff growing alongside it for 10 miles!

Strange.
Bill,
I understand about CITES, I keep a marine reef aquarium at home and you cannot get the same livestock that you could a few years ago.

Luckily, a few years back I started "cutting & pasting" with soft corals and now I have a tankful! I don't buy any from pet stores now.
I'm out of the cactus biz now, but I used to have some rare ones that had been raised from cuttings. There is this one cactus called Aztekium Ritteri, that is truly a primitive plant. It is native to one tiny section of northern Mexico. When the Mexican government started building their section of the Pan-American Highway, this habitat was completely destroyed.

A local cactus aficionado and operator of a boy's shelter offered to go in and collect the seeds from the plants. He was willing to transfer the remaining plants to pots and take care of them. The government refused permission.

A group of Japanese collectors came in the dark of night and harvested some of them. The rest were PLOWED UNDER BY EARTH MOVING MACHINERY.

That makes my gorge rise.
Whenever I need ostrich eggs this is where I [url=http://www.ee.ucla.edu/~kansal/pics/sanantonio/original/202%20disgrunteled%20ostrich.jpg]go[/url]
Just stand behind her with your hat underneath her.
They can run 65 mph... :kermit:
They run much slower while they are laying eggs though. It's always best to sneak up behind them and yell. That way, they get scared and lay the eggs fast.
Don't buy that garbage about them kicking you. In all the times I've suggested to strangers that they do stuff like that never once have they found me afterwards.

If you use big cups the ostrich is a great final load.
Why do my posts always go off in some daft direction?

There is a TV show here in the UK called "The Weakest Link", it a quiz show where people have to answer general knowledge questions. A while ago one of the contestants was asked, "What speed does a charging elephant run at? Is it 20 mph, 40 mph or 120 mph?"
The contestant said the answer was 120 mph. We had this on at work during our break and the whole place fell about laughing. Everyone thought we should forget about horse racing and use elephants. How would the jockeys stay on? Can you imagine The Derby or The Grand National?
How good would it all be?

See, I'm doing it now and it's all thanks to Bill Palmer!
[quote]
On 2007-07-24 15:58, Tom Fenton wrote:
[/quote]

Some people are just gifted. BTW, I think Anne Robinson is hot. She seems to be like Marian the librarian, but smoldering under the surface.

She has a very wry sense of humor.
[quote]
On 2007-07-24 15:58, Tom Fenton wrote:

There is a TV show here in the UK called "The Weakest Link", it a quiz show where people have to answer general knowledge questions. A while ago one of the contestants was asked, "What speed does a charging elephant run at? Is it 20 mph, 40 mph or 120 mph?"
The contestant said the answer was 120 mph. We had this on at work during our break and the whole place fell about laughing. Everyone thought we should forget about horse racing and use elephants. How would the jockeys stay on? Can you imagine The Derby or The Grand National?
How good would it all be?

See, I'm doing it now and it's all thanks to Bill Palmer!
[/quote]

Like the two guys walking in the woods, when all of a sudden a huge grizzly appears and starts chasing them. One guy stops and gets a set of trainers from his rucksack and puts them on. His friend says "Are you crazy, we're never gonna outrun that Grizzly". The other guy has his trainers on, starts running - and shouts back at his pal "I don't need to run faster than the Grizzly, I just need to run faster than you".

(Ba-boom kshhhh)
Two female ostriches out on the Sahara... one spots a dustcloud off in the distance... it is moving toward them.

One ostrich says, "We better get out of here, I think it's those two guys that were chasing us before."

The start running as fast as they can (about 60mph) but the males are closing in on them...

The two females stop suddenly, BURY THEIR HEADS IN THE SAND...

Just then the two males catch up and stop just behind them.

One of the males turns to the other and says, "Where did they go?"

(This is one of my favorite all time jokes) :kermit:
A man walks into a bar with an ostrich behind him. The bartender asks for his order, and the man says, "I'll have a beer," and turns to the ostrich saying, "What's yours?"

"I'll have a beer, too," says the ostrich.

The bartender pours the beers and says, "That's $2.80 please." The guy reaches into his pocket, pulls out exact change and pays.

Next day, man and ostrich arrive, order beers and the man again pulls exact change and pays. This becomes a routine until one night they enter again and the bartender asks, "The usual?"

"This time, make it a large Scotch..." says the man.
"Same for me," says the ostrich.
"That's $5.20," says the bartender.

Once again, the man pulls exact change out of his pocket and places it on the bar. The bartender is very curious: "Sir, how do you manage to always have the exact change?"

"Well," says the man, "several years ago I was cleaning the attic, and I found an old lamp. When I rubbed it, a genie appeared and offered me two wishes. My first wish was that if I ever had to pay for anything, I just put my hand in my pocket, and the right amount of money will always be there."

"Brilliant!" says the bartender. "Most people would wish for a million dollars or something, but you'll always be as rich as you want for as long as you live!

"That's right! Whether it's a gallon of milk or a Rolls Royce, the exact money is always there," says the man.

The bartender asks, "Another thing: what's with the ostrich?"

The man replies, "My second wish was for a chick with long legs."
That's the first clean version of that one I've heard!
[quote]If you use big cups the ostrich is a great final load.[/quote]

Good grief! What size cups do you use?

Genghis
Oh No! We're going back on track.
An interesting excerpt re: Final Loads I've just come across in some research:

OUT OF MY PROFONDE
By ARTHUR LEROY

"Saturday after Saturday the tragical,
comical, magical parade went on.
Pop Krieger would drop in and tantalize
us all with his cups and balls.
One day he paralyzed the group by