(Close Window)
Topic: Foster Brooks
Just caught a couple of clips on youtube .... doesn't really apply to magic, maybe, & a drunk act would be so un-PC nowadays, but oh how funny, comedic structure and timing... worth studying.
Foster had some serious chops indeed.
His timing was impeccable.
Funny funny dude.
Foster was the be-(urp) - excuse me - the best!
I used to do a drunk magician routine with passe-passe based on ideas I got from his character that brought the house down. Funny stuff indeed. I have a student now who does a bit tipsy over the hill beer garten maid based on ideas similar to the routines of Foster Brooks, funny stuff also.
Foster Brooks and Frank Fontaine were two of the most effective "drunks" ever. Ironically, as far as I know, neither one of them drank.
Foster Brooks was one of the funniest guys to ever hit the mic!

I loved watching him as much as I love Victor Borgor!

The seventies had some great comedy on TV, in those days!
There was a bar in the MGM in Las Vegas when it opened about 12 years ago. A life-like dummy of Foster Brooks was sitting in a chair and it continually told his jokes. You could sit in a nearby booth and drink as you listen to it talk. It was a clever gimmick but unfortunately didn't last too long.
Anyone interested in comedy should study the Dean Martin Roast videos if possible. You will see some of the best comedic entertainers of the day. More can be learned from them than any comedy magician DVD.

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando
[quote]
On 2007-08-08 18:54, Bill Palmer wrote:
Foster Brooks and Frank Fontaine were two of the most effective "drunks" ever. Ironically, as far as I know, neither one of them drank.

[/quote]
Frank Fontaine? Crazy Guggenheim! Wow ur dating us Bill!