(Close Window)
Topic: Which Flipper Coin to get??
I am debating about getting a [b]flipper coin[/b] (FC), but while browsing, I am noticing the different name brands (Johnson, Tango, etc.) and types-- Whether a "Magnetic" or "Gravity" type. I never actually held one in my own hand, but have a couple of DVD's where Troy Hooser and Joshua Jay utilize this Gaffed coin and the effect is devastating enough for me to want one.

Can anyone give a brief "crash course" summary of pros and cons of all of these and what they would recommend?? There is too much to choose from and I don't want to wastefully spend my money and get disappointed.
If your wanting to do the stuff from troy a dollar sized flipper is almost a must. I like the gravity type as you can ly them on your hand or table and they stay open but a gentle toss they close.

edit: the dollar size is because the moves don;t look or work as well with a half
Yesterday I saw some devastating new routines in the hands of Dean Dill with half-dollar flippers... these are, IMHO, the best size.

But then you could also go for the poker chip flipper seen at http://www.porperoriginals.com (you can drop these and they don't get hurt).
Pete I like the half sized the best as well, as far as versitility but for the hooser material its the dollar
Salby,

save your money for Gravity and Magnetic coins until you get used to the operation of a regular coin. For a fraction(usually less than $40) of the cost to get a solid silver half or dollar sized flipper, you can get a clad Kennedy flipper. I personally suggest a Johnson Product. There are tons of reasons why.

The coins are durable. I've dropped my Johnson flippers on concrete repeatedly. they take a lickin' and keep on flippin'. ( I think I just "coined" a phrase there)

Obviously, Johnson coins are less expensive. If you decide you don't like the feel of this type of gaff, a $40 dollar gaff will find it's way to you magic junk drawer rather than a $90-250 dollar gaff.

Johnson Coins are dependable. Johnson coins are the standard in our industry for a reason. For the price, no one beats a Johnson. (now I sound like an advertisement)

PLUS, Johnson now makes flipper coins in walking liberty half dollars AND in Eisenhower dollar coins as well as kennedy halves. So save some bucks and try a Johnson before upgrading to a Lassen or Schoolcraft or DeLong...
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Jul 26, 2007 06:41PM)
Get Johnson if you can.
Since I got a gravity flipper, the other kind just sits in my drawer. To me there is no comparison. The gravity flipper opens so easily, it lays flat in your hand when in the open position, and the underneath coin has the edges milled, no groove. And as stated above, it can close by a simple toss.
[quote]
On 2007-07-26 20:54, tbaer wrote:
And as stated above, it can close by a simple toss.
[/quote]

While that is all true....if an unexperienced toss lands the coin on a hard wood floor the wrong way, or concrete for that matter, it takes quite a bit of work to get it feeling the same way again. Again, I just suggested the biggest bang for the fewest bucks. No question that gravity flippers are vastly superior to the regular, but I'm suggesting walking before running.
I have to agree with Godhandz here. I think gravity flippers are unbeatable. I have a barber gravity flipper and just ordered a morgan from todd lassen. I wish I would have done what Godhandz suggested and just bought a johnson at first. Luckily I saw Hooser's stuff, and Godhandz's stuff and realized what a killer the flipper coin was and use it all the time now. we did have a falling out one time when it decided to snap mid performance, but it listens better now. I say go with the johnson and if you like it, indulge yourself and give todd a call.

Pete
Actually I went the route Eric has endorsed and I couldn't agree with him more. It would be wise for you to listen to the voice of experience Salby.....
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I just have to go with the good ol' "Johnny" product.

Now going thru my research I came across something called a BUTTER COIN:

http://themagicwarehouse.com/DV9747/Butter-Coin.htm

What is this?? Some advertisements explain that it is a great utility coin that also acts as a Flipper Coin.

What are your thoughts on this product and does Johnson make this also?? Should I go with a BUTTER COIN because it seems to do everything a Flipper Coin can do PLUS more??
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Jul 28, 2007 04:31PM)
Or get the Bite-Coin Plus.
Hi Salby,
No go with a fliper coin! It's much better!!!
[quote]
On 2007-07-29 00:01, David Neighbors wrote:
Hi Salby,
No go with a fliper coin! It's much better!!!
[/quote]

I'm confused with this quote..... Which Gaffed Coin is much better??
He's saying don't get the butter coin get the flipper. The flipper is much better.
Oh-- Ok.... You can see by his wording that it would lead to confusion.

Anyway, I put my order in for the JOHNSON Flipper Coin. Now-- It is the dreaded "Wait" in the mail :(

BTW, does Johnson make a Flipper Coin for a Quarter(s)?? I did a search on the web and could NOT find one. If anyone knows where, please post the link.

Thanks.
I have a question. Forthe first time in 2 years my Schoolcraft Flipper finally snapped, is there any video tutorials on how to repair it?
Message: Posted by: whateverisisright (Jul 30, 2007 06:47AM)
Paisa23,
My Schoolcraft flipper came with replacement rubberbands, a wooden dowel/set-thing to repair it on, and instructions. Did yours come with any of that? PM me if you need help.
Butter Coin is just a folding coin.. IT only folds on one side... it's a good cut and undetectable but not a very good replacement of the flipper coin. Flipper can make one coin look like two.... butter coin need two coins to hide the fold... so needs 2 to look like 3.... this limits routines greatly. Listen to Dave.... go with flipper.
They flippers from schoolcraft are magnetic because there is a piece added. this takes weight away from the coin. Todd's flippers are all silver milled from the original coin. the weight is perfect.
My flipper coin was designed for a coin thru table routine. Sasco makes it. It is a standard band activated flipper. It' difference lies in the fact that it is a double headed coin. When it appears to be two coins, they are each heads up on the table. Sasco is the only place to get one.

Kotah
I'd say the "advantage" of showing both coins heads up is out-weighed by having to deal with a double-headed coin the rest of the time!
I agree with rutabaga, with the heads/tails flipper the coin can pass as a normal coin much easier...
[quote]
On 2008-05-22 23:00, mballen11502 wrote:
I agree with rutabaga, with the heads/tails flipper the coin can pass as a normal coin much easier...
[/quote]

amen, it will pass under expection. But a head/head or a tails/tails will also have some unique abilities that will allow more impressive routines that use a double facer or a double tails
ANY flipper can be a gravity flipper. You just need the right tension for the band.
I own a Johnson, and a couple Schoolcrafts... Kennedy half, and quarter.
The Johnson is great for practise. If I drop it, it still hurts, but not as bad.
Does anyone have a specific source to get rubber bands to make a gravity flipper out of a Johnson? If you say e-bay, then what size latex rubber bands?
Thanks!

[quote]
On 2008-05-24 01:41, krintz wrote:
ANY flipper can be a gravity flipper. You just need the right tension for the band.
The Johnson is great for practise. If I drop it, it still hurts, but not as bad.
[/quote]
What is the approximate cost of a Lassen half-dollar gravity flipper? Don't suggest I ask Lassen. My understanding is that his coins are VERY expensive and I wouldn't want to embarass him or myself. And is the additional cost worth it?
YES!
[quote]
On 2008-12-11 17:51, CAROLINI wrote:
What is the approximate cost of a Lassen half-dollar gravity flipper? Don't suggest I ask Lassen. My understanding is that his coins are VERY expensive and I wouldn't want to embarass him or myself. And is the additional cost worth it?
[/quote]

A uncirculated Walking Liberty Half Dollar Lassen gravity flipper will set you back about $175 + shipping.

Cheers!

** Bill **
Go to my post [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=285741&forum=202&post=5844087]HERE[/url] for details on where to get the elastic bands you will need and what size for a half dollar.

Cheers!

** Bill **

[quote]
On 2008-11-01 18:53, kerpa wrote:
Does anyone have a specific source to get rubber bands to make a gravity flipper out of a Johnson? If you say e-bay, then what size latex rubber bands?
Thanks!

[quote]
On 2008-05-24 01:41, krintz wrote:
[/quote]
[/quote]
How easy is it to change out that band and have it working smooth?
It's not that hard. The fixed part of the flipper is either set to the shell with double sided tape or with a dab of crazy glue. You may have to pry a bit to get this part loose because you'll have to get this out to replace the band.

Hope that helps!

** Bill **
Thanks Bill, it did help.
Hello Friend,

Gravity flipper is the coin where the fold part open itself by gravity force. With the other system called for us FLIP you can open the coin and the coin close itselft too. Depend the routine you can use one of other. We offer all the line in our web site in different model PRO or traditional: https://www.tangomagic.com/home.php?cat=308

Bye
JB Magic are now selling flipper coins from the creator of the flipper coin. Support the original creator BOB SWADLING

https://vault2.secured-url.com/jbtv/uk/

Paul
It's Tango coins for me, all the way. Amateur/enthusiasts like myself can afford them and learn.

dsalley13
Does anyone out there have the Tango Gravity Flipper half dollar? How is it?

Also, can you access the website in English?
Just picked up my Tango flipper. From my limited knowledge it seems to be fine, although it is not broken in yet and will not lay flat when open. Value wise it seems to be a good choice, and as I learn I may find that I have preferences which the Tango coin can't meet. Then, I'll have to do some research and see about "what's next".

Of course, isn't that always the question with Magicians?

Gill
Marion,

Once you get to Tango Magic's site, you can switch to English by selecting "English" in the "IDIOMAS" drop down menu on the right.

I bought one of their kennedy Flipper's. Looks great but real tight and needs to be broken in like mentioned above.

Michael
On some websites, I see only "magnetic half-dollar flipper" coins and on others I see "half-dollar flipper." Does the coin act like a magnet, or does it have a steel core and is just attracted to magnets? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to buying a magnetic flipper?

-Mark
Wow! I just got my Schoolcraft Kennedy Half flipper and it's a beauty. The service and communication from Jamie was great and my coin is just super. It's quiet, looks great and works smooth as silk -- definitely worth the money for a working magician. I've been using Tango's and they're okay, too, but they keep breaking and the repair is a real pain. Just thought I'd pass this on if you're buying a coin.
My Walking Liberty Flipper from Todd Lassen is a thing of beauty.
I second the Lassen recommendation.
[quote]
On 2008-12-12 09:47, Bill Lhotta wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-12-11 17:51, CAROLINI wrote:
[/quote]

A uncirculated Walking Liberty Half Dollar Lassen gravity flipper will set you back about $175 + shipping.

Cheers!

** Bill **
[/quote]

In looking at the cost, consider that you'd pay about $30 - $50 for the coin alone. (based on eBay)

Regards,

Jay68
Dude, a gravity flipper made by Bob Swadling (who created the flipper coin aka. the "Swadling coin") is available on the JB site. Its a walking liberty half and only $75. How is it even a question? The coin itself ain't cheap and its from the originator. How great is that? Plus, they get back to you really fast. When you compare brand, quality, and service... I'm surprised Bob wasn't mentioned much much sooner.

-DJ
The link:

https://vault2.secured-url.com/jbtv/usa/description.asp?id=2005
[quote]
On 2009-01-26 21:26, magicman4646 wrote:
My Walking Liberty Flipper from Todd Lassen is a thing of beauty.
[/quote]

Another vote for Todd's Flipper,i'm very happy with it.
I second Bob Swadling's flipper coin - great product.

Regards,

Philip
My Walking Liberty Flipper from Jamie Schoolcraft is a thing of beauty.

-Morten-
Here's something for you to chew on coin folks: JOE PORPER HAS JUST DEVELOPED some new work and making flippers from 25, 50 and Dollar sizes. He'll be showing them for the first time at WMS in Las Vegas in March.
DJ,

Thanks for mentioning Mark Mason's web site (JB Magic)for Bob Swadling's Flipper.

I just received a walking liberty flipper and s**ll from him and they are outstanding !

The flipper lies down on the table as it should and the "work" on the tail side is invisible! AND they match my Liberties.

Mark's the man to see if you have a gaff need - he'll take care of you!!!!
He even made sure I got the discount I missed when ordering.
[quote]
On 2009-01-27 17:02, djkuttdecks wrote:
Dude, a gravity flipper made by Bob Swadling (who created the flipper coin aka. the "Swadling coin") is available on the JB site. Its a walking liberty half and only $75. How is it even a question? The coin itself ain't cheap and its from the originator. How great is that? Plus, they get back to you really fast. When you compare brand, quality, and service... I'm surprised Bob wasn't mentioned much much sooner.

-DJ
[/quote]

I don't think the coins are made by Bob Swadling.

"Made by our in house coin expert, the quality is amazing."

If they were crafted by Bob, the ad copy would say so.

https://vault2.secured-url.com/jbtv/usa/description.asp?id=2004

Best,

Doug L.
I agree with MacIrish

I have the same set and have used it for some time Ė no problem, great quality.

Torstein
I use tango coins to practice on
What is the right size "rubber band" for the Lassen Morgan Dollar gravity flipper? I had to replace one and it is too small.
Thanks.
OK-- Here is my update on what I once started on this thread so long ago....

I bought a Johnson Flipper Coin (FC) and I loved it at first... BUT....

... Because of its construction, you canNOT do all the effects in many DVD's etc. that a gravity flipper can do. For instance, you canNOT lie the "2" coins on your palm or table in a flat manner... It "tee-pees-up". Also, you canNOT toss it in the air (a few inches) and have it transform from "2" to "1" so easily. Lastly, to open it in front of the audience, you need to jerk your hand downward and upward and catch the flap with your 2nd finger.

Anyway... I sold it after 2 weeks of playing with it. I love Johnson products (I've had a Hopping Half set for over 20 years and would never part with it), but the Flipper Coin of theirs sucks, let only the rubber band goes around the "2nd" coin allowing a crevice to be seen on its side, NOT a milled edge.

So now where to go since I wanted a GRAVITY FC??

I definitely wanted to go with either Lassen or Schoolcraft.

I am very happy with Todd Lassen products (I have a Morgan Triple Threat and a Morgan Expanded Shell Set from Todd). So right now, I am waiting for an order from him (I placed it in December). It will include a Hopping Half set (Walking Liberty (WL)/English Penny), 3 additional matching regular WL coins to fit that shell, and a WL Flipper Coin to fit that shell also. Since I know Todd's work and these coins are NOT cheap, I want to stay with Todd's craftmanship.

Now, with that said, I also wanted a Quarter FC. Todd does NOT make those except for the old silver quarters from before 1964. However, I wanted something to match today's mixed metal quarters. I opted to go with Jamie Schoolcraft. He makes these, although he told me on the phone that the quality won't be as good as his Silver coins... "They just don't cut right."

I received a Quarter FC from Jamie. It absolutely sucked... It made noises when it opened, the "line" on the back was VERY noticeable and the "2nd" coin got stuck and I needed to keep jerking my hand to open it. Needless-to-say, after 5 minutes of opening that package, I immediately phoned Jamie. He was absolutely polite and offered me a full refund or for him to see it in his own hands and remake me another one. The offer stood that I can still get a full refund after receiving the 2nd version. I agreed.

After about another month, I received the 2nd version last week and let me tell you, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! Jamie did say that there was definitely a problem with the construction of the 1st one I received and it should have never left his home.

Jamie's Quarter FC (the 2nd version) does everything you read about... It opens automatically, the "line" is not obvious at all, there is no noise, it turns from "2" to "1" if tossed slightly in the air or shakened in the spectator's cupped hands, the "2" coins lie flat on the hand-- NOT "tee-peed up", etc. etc. etc.

So, I know this was long-winded, but I wanted to tell you the update and, again, I am still waiting on my order with Todd... I know the wait is long for both Jamie and Todd (months to be exact), but both guys will pull through and the two of them are easily reached by phone.

Hope this helps out with people debating what FLIPPER COIN to acquire.
I also have a Schoolcraft flipper, custom made Walking Liberty with Australien copper penny insert. This is a art of craft, working 110% :)
(ps: this is a killercoin together with my Silver/copper coin :) )

-Morten-
What is the best flipper for 3fly? I have a set of half dollars and dollars.

Is it difficult to keep the flip part in or does this happen automagically?

J
[quote]
On 2009-02-24 10:48, Salby wrote:
OK-- Here is my update on what I once started on this thread so long ago....

I bought a Johnson Flipper Coin (FC) and I loved it at first... BUT....

... Because of its construction, you canNOT do all the effects in many DVD's etc. that a gravity flipper can do. For instance, you canNOT lie the "2" coins on your palm or table in a flat manner... It "tee-pees-up". Also, you canNOT toss it in the air (a few inches) and have it transform from "2" to "1" so easily. Lastly, to open it in front of the audience, you need to jerk your hand downward and upward and catch the flap with your 2nd finger.

Anyway... I sold it after 2 weeks of playing with it. I love Johnson products (I've had a Hopping Half set for over 20 years and would never part with it), but the Flipper Coin of theirs sucks, let only the rubber band goes around the "2nd" coin allowing a crevice to be seen on its side, NOT a milled edge.
[/quote]

I've found my Johnson flippers easy to open - almost like a gravity flipper. Otherwise I agree with the advantages that a grav flipper brings. I hope to see the quarter flipper the next time our paths cross, that's something I'd be interested in seeing.
Ok, You guys can stop this any time now!!! I was just surfing the Cafť and only stopped in this thread because it looked interesting (honestly), But by the end of this thread I've opened another window on my browser and purchased a Johnson Flipper Kennedy Half, and on top of that I'm eying Schoolcraft, and Lassen Gravity Flippers. I'VE NEVER EVEN TOUCHED A FLIPPER COIN BEFORE!!!!! You people are a big bunch of PEER-PRESSURE SALESMEN and I can see that I'll be completely broke if I keep reading these posts!!!! ( but at least I'll have some really great Gaffed coins and routines) I Swear if you start talking Real estate I'm leaving the Caf'e for good.

Seriously though, I thank you all for your input into this post and others like it, it helps the inexperienced (like Me) to learn without the high cost of those Hard lessons.

Thanks,

Gerald

P.S.
I did actually purchase a flipper during/because of reading this post.
Gerald,
Since you read the thread, good quality flippers do open flat on a table or a mat. There are other aspects to this like the remilling of the edge of the insert but this is secondary especially if you work standing. The flat opening on a flat surface or in the hands however is not secondary.
Bob's flipper coin from JB magic lies completely flat and the cut is seamless.... for the money, I say its the best bet.

-DJ

but I think everyone knew that already :)
I have been reading the thread, but like some have suggested I thought I'd start with the less expensive coin and work towards the higher quality coin.
As suggested by Bill Lhotta I'm going to use a slightly larger rubber band so the Johnson flipper behaves like a gravity flipper. I feel this will give me a good base to practice with and see what routines I'd like to perform and come up with. It's true I've never had or touched a flipper coin before, but that doesn't mean I'm new to coins. I first became interested in magic about 30 years ago, I started with coins, I've had folding coins, expanded shells, and copper/silver coins. Mostly I did pure slight of hand. When I take the plunge (already saving ) I think I'll get the Schoolcraft Walking liberty Gravity Flipper. I assume that if I get a walking liberty expanded shell that it would fit over the flipper, so that will be my next purchase (after the Flipper). For right now though I still have my Copper silver Kennedy half/English penny and I believe I may still have an expanded shell so this flipper isn't a waste by a long shot. I may even sell the above coins to fund my purchase in the near future. But I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Schoolcraft Gravity flipper. Any advice on best routines or DVD's or Books would be welcome Too.

Thanks,

Gerald
As expected I went ahead and purchased a Schoolcraft Walking Liberty half dollar Gravity flipper. I got an email that turnaround will be between two and four weeks.
I can't wait for it to arrive, untill then I'll be practicing with my modified Johnson Flipper.

Thanks all,

Gerald
I just got my Johnson Flipper and changed the Rubber Band to the one suggested by Bill Lhotta. Let me tell you, this is great! I haven't received my Schoolcraft yet
but this flipper now behaves exactly like the gravity flippers appear to in all the videos I've seen. If you have a Johnson Flipper don't hesitate to try this, it really works great! Thanks Bill Lhotta, and all who post here on the Cafť.

Sincerely,

Gerald
Speaking rubber band, for frequent performers, when the rubber breaks you are in trouble.
Thus I found it wiser to cut long thin balloons to rubber band shape with scissors and place three of them as a replacement to one single orthodontist rubber band. Whatever Flipper coin you are using.
Lawrence,

Thank you for that idea too I'll be trying that next, there really is some great information to be gained here on the Caf'e for those willing to listen. I'm listening!....... :D

Gerald
[quote]
On 2009-04-03 09:04, Lawrence O wrote:
Speaking rubber band, for frequent performers, when the rubber breaks you are in trouble.
Thus I found it wiser to cut long thin balloons to rubber band shape with scissors and place three of them as a replacement to one single orthodontist rubber band. Whatever Flipper coin you are using.
[/quote]

Does this work if you have a flipper with an outside groove?
Mitchmarkl, Yes this does work, infact it works great. Give it a try, you will like it.

Gerald
Thanks Gerald, I will.
I just got my Schoolcraft Walking Liberty Gravity Flipper and I'm EXTREMELY Pleased and very impressed with the workmanship. The coin looks great, you can't see the split, and it works flawlessly. I'm so glad I decided on Schoolcraft, the price was right and the quality is exceptional. If you are considering a Gravity flipper My recommendation is Schoolcraft!
:spinningcoin:
Thanks,

Gerald
Ocha,

Glad to hear you got yours. I received mine a few weeks ago and was ultra-impressed with the craftsmanship of this coin. It has opened up a whole new world of coins across.

Enjoy!
Hi
So how does the jb WL half dollar flipper and shells compare to the johnsons???
Another recommendation for the Schoolcraft from me - lovely work.
I also recommend the Schoolcraft Flipper. It is well made, durable and easy to fix if the rubber band breaks. Dean uses a Schoolraft Flipper and does wonders with it.
I use a Walking Liberty SC Flipper and have had great luck with it.

TC
While you are looking at the schoolcraft WL flipper and expanded shell, take a look at the OXF.
Just sayin'.

On Lawrence O's idea, it seems to me that I remember Sean Giles posting on another topic that he was able to find silver colored baloons and that he had been using them for about a year with no problems in his flipper.
My magnetic Tango half works for me. Honeslty no one suspects that its gimmicked. When closed its very hard to tell which is all that matters to me. Its funny I can get it to lie flat and close when tossed or need for it to close easily. So I really don't get this Gravity option. Im happy with it because its magnetic also which comes in handy when I need a magnetic half.
Arizona, for me, the bonus of the "gravity" aspect is that the flipper opens very naturally [with cover, of course]. Once you get the handling down, it's one of the most beautiful gaffs out there.
[quote]
On 2010-05-27 00:10, arizona wrote:
My magnetic Tango half works for me. Honeslty no one suspects that its gimmicked. When closed its very hard to tell which is all that matters to me. Its funny I can get it to lie flat and close when tossed or need for it to close easily. So I really don't get this Gravity option. Im happy with it because its magnetic also which comes in handy when I need a magnetic half.
[/quote]

If you use a gravity flipper it opens easily which is an asset in certain routines.
Message: Posted by: the guy on the couch (May 29, 2010 08:36PM)
Is schoolcraft still making coins?
I emailed him a few weeks ago and havent heard a thing.
[quote]
On 2007-07-26 19:35, Eric Jones wrote:
Salby,

save your money for Gravity and Magnetic coins until you get used to the operation of a regular coin. For a fraction(usually less than $40) of the cost to get a solid silver half or dollar sized flipper, you can get a clad Kennedy flipper. I personally suggest a Johnson Product. There are tons of reasons why.

The coins are durable. I've dropped my Johnson flippers on concrete repeatedly. they take a lickin' and keep on flippin'. ( I think I just "coined" a phrase there)

Obviously, Johnson coins are less expensive. If you decide you don't like the feel of this type of gaff, a $40 dollar gaff will find it's way to you magic junk drawer rather than a $90-250 dollar gaff.

Johnson Coins are dependable. Johnson coins are the standard in our industry for a reason. For the price, no one beats a Johnson. (now I sound like an advertisement)

PLUS, Johnson now makes flipper coins in walking liberty half dollars AND in Eisenhower dollar coins as well as kennedy halves. So save some bucks and try a Johnson before upgrading to a Lassen or Schoolcraft or DeLong...

[/quote]

I dropped mine on the first day to reveal that it was held inside with a piece of double sided tape. At first I had a hard time getting it to be two coins. I couldn't figure out how to open it up. Is this normal? I got mine with absolutely no instructions what-so-ever. Not even something to indicate it is a Johnson Flipper Coin.

I am curious to know if this is how a Johnson Flipper Coin is made, and if it just comes in a regular coin sleeve with no identification marks.

I'm a little choked at the quality of my coin. For it to be held in place with a double sided sticky tape is lacking in quality in my opinion.

Help. :)
Dan,

The double stick tape is actually better and if done right it holds fine. Super glue is bad as it is almost impossible to get the insert out and it leaves a nasty residue.

PM me and I can help you out in fixing your flipper good as new.

TC
[quote]
On 2010-07-14 19:06, TC Ryder wrote:
The double stick tape is actually better and if done right it holds fine. Super glue is bad as it is almost impossible to get the insert out and it leaves a nasty residue.
[/quote]

I can't echo that enough. I've got an old "original" style flipper I dreaded having to "service" it.
(1) Too hard to open it up without damaging it
(2) A pain to remove the residue - acetone works, but is messy and smells bad. Even so there was usually still a good bit of scraping involved.
(3) A bigger pain to put it all back together with more super glue - getting alignments right, not accidentally cementing it all permanently, etc. This was tricky to get just right, and usually involved at least one, and sometimes more repeats of steps 1 and 2.

Nothing but tape for me now. 3M Scotch Double Sided Permanent Tape at the moment.
Thanks TC Ryder for that tidbit.

I replaced the double sided tape with a much stronger double sided tape, and everything works great. I can see now why double sided tape works best.

Dan
Have a dumb question to ask regarding the gravity flipper coin.

Does schoolcraft and lassen the only mainstream coingaff manufacturers that create gravity flipper coins?

Does Tango or Johnson make gravity flippers? Or do they just produce standard flippers?

Thanks

Peter
Tango has them also.
I own a Tango flipper, a Tango Gravity flipper, a Johnson flipper, a Roy Kuepper flipper and a Schoolcraft Gravity flipper.

Schoolcraft product is perfect, but it is too experience.
For cheap product, Johnson product is good, but the flipper is not gravity.
Although Roy Kuepper's flipper is not a gravity flipper, it acts as a gravity flipper.

If you want a cheap gravity flipper, Roy Kuepper is the best choice.
Get one then you will understand what I mean.

Martin
Hi,

I now have a gravity flipper by Lassen, Schoolcraft and Tango and my advice for what its worth is this.
The Lassen and schoolcraft flippers are very similar in price and quality. Very high degree of quality and accuracy in both coins. The cut is almost indetectable. Very high quality coins, machined to the highest tolerence, from both these manufactures.
Tango on the other hand is quite a bit more affordable. The design is almost the same as the Lassen and schoolcraft. The difference is in the subtleties of the quality. The cut is easier to detect (but you still need to look hard to see it)and mechanically it works just as well, as it works on the same principle. The Tango coin is re-edged on the insert and is very deceptive when open. Just as are the other two.
I think that out of the above three manufactures, any decision should be based on what you can afford. I've always tried to buy the best I can afford at the time. I don't buy the cheapest, but I don't always have to buy the best to get some qood quality gear. If I could afford it, and long delivery times were not a factor, I would get everything by Todd Lassen. But life as it is, sometimes I'm more than happy to go with Tango

BTW. I don't know about gravity flippers, but Mark Mason at JBTV does some excellent coin work at great prices. His custom work is reasonably priced and the customer service is the best there is (by a long way!)

One last thing... On ebay you can often find gravity flippers at very cheap prices. They never state a name for who manufactured them so I don't know who makes them. Don't buy one. I did and they are really bad. Unusable in fact. I got a £2 one and it's useless. Even for practicing with.

Kind regards
Sean
I have a couple from Mark Mason - they are referred to as Bob Swadling's but I donít believe that Bob makes all of them. Quality is fine though not nearly up to the standards as Lassen's or Schoolcraft's. The only advantage I have found with Mark's is that a bit more of the insert shows than the others' flippers.

IMO, if you are going to purchase a more affordable gravity flipper I would recommend the Tango over the JB-Magic product. They're very close in base price though you can usually find Tango gravity flippers for less at some magic shops, and the Tango's are perfectly good from a quality standpoint.

Jim

PS - I am not including Mark Mason's/Bob Swadling's Double Deception flipper in the above comparison. That is not a gravity flipper though Double Deception is a fantastic product that I highly recommend!
Hello,

I'm after a flipper coin. I was thinking a UK one as I'm from there so would raise a bit less suspision.

Which is better the £2 coin or the 10p.

I was thinking £2 as I thought it would be easier to palm.

Which make is best? And do I want a gravity flipper?

Hope you can help.

Cheers

JD
I would second J-Macs comment about Bob Swadling's Double Deception, it is a great coin gaff. It will leave them speechless.

As far as gravity flippers, I love my Schoolcraft but it is expensive.
Joe Mogar has a sick looking Morgan flipper, don't know who makes it but never saw anything else like it
I have all Schoolcraft products. I have a Dean's set with a matching gravity flipper in morgans, a regular morgan expanded set, a walking liberty expanded set, a walking liberty gravity flipper, and a barber OxF which I just got.

It is always a pleasure dealing with Jamie. We always have great phone calls whether I order or not. His customer service is outstanding. I will be dealing with Jamie for a long time. I can't wait for him to come to NY. He should be here Saturday at the Fantasma Magic Con.

As for Lassen, before I went to Schoolcraft I tried contacting Lassen several times by email and phone. The guy never returned any. I don't care how good his product is if he can't return a call or email. Most of the top pro's are using Schoolcraft products like Homer Liwag, Eric Jones, Dean Dill, ect... 10/10 for Jamie.
No question Jamie makes beautiful stuff and is a pleasure to deal with. I have a similar selection and am quite happy with them. I saw and handled this Mogar offering at a convention recently. It really is something different. It works with a special elastic thread rather then a rubber band which rarely has to be replaced. Also, the small piece of the flipper never has to be pried out. There is a round needle that threads the replacement elastic through the grove. I don't have one, and am not in the market for another expensive gaff (although that has not always stopped me) but it was very interesting in construction and looked perfect as well. If you see Joe at a convention ask to see it.
I had a chance to handle the new Triception coin set from Bob Swadling and Mark Mason at Magic Fest in Tampa and it also does not use a rubber band. It is great work, as usual, from Bob Swadling.
I have a Joe Mogar morgan dollar flipper, and a Lassen morgan dollar flipper. Same quality.
[quote]
On 2011-06-22 21:36, Chessmann wrote:
I have a Joe Mogar morgan dollar flipper, and a Lassen morgan dollar flipper. Same quality.
[/quote]

Wow - that's saying something, Chess!

Thank you.

Jim
I had Bob Swadling make one of his new "Next Generation Flipper" coins for me, using my own dollar coins so that it matches the other coins I use. It doesn't use a rubber band and it works like a dream!
I have a Tango regular flipper...not bad but I dropped it last week which ruined it...I'd love a schoolcraft but they are so $$! The tango quality wasn't bad at all for the money...
I am considering to get a set of OxF in dollar size , any one has any experience with this set?

is it better to get half dollar size? I majorly want to use it for 3 fly effect

and some coin cross.
Hi mike,

I have been pondering that as well, what size coins to get for oxyclean, 3 fly, etc

there is no dollar size coin still in circulation, so the Kennedy half dollars have a familiar edge, although they are not really in circulation either!

but when I look at most of the 3 flys and oxyclean for example, the gaffs replace some of the sleights, so going bigger is possible, even if you have more trouble palming that size

I decided to get a set of peace dollars for this purpose. they can look fairly modern, prettier than the Eisenhower, but not as antique as the Morgans.

Hope that helps...
Mike,

It really depends purely on which size coin you are most comfortable handling. Some like dollar coins for easier viewing with a larger crowd though I donít think it matters much; dollar coins are just over 1/4" larger in diameter and since you are usually covering part of the coins you're talking ~1/8" on one side larger - not many folks will notice IMO! I'd go with whichever size you find easier to handle.

Jim
Hello guys

My only concern is that if I want to do penetration effect ( lets say coin throught table or glasses ), would it be obvious ? Since its big ..

I can hand dollar size no problem, with dollar size coin, it is easier for people to see clearly when do 3 fly or is it just me ? ..

I think with half dollar size OxF, I might be able to do more effects ? due to the size ...

Because schoolcraft is not cheap , so I don't want to end up get one each lol ~

Mike
3-Fly performed close-up is excellent with dollar coins because it looks more impossible when the coins are larger - even a little bit larger IMO. Though when handling a flipper along with another coin or two I personally find dollars more difficult to handle; but that's me.

If you have a dollar and a half $ flipper and shell try working through the motions of Oxy Clean with those, just to see which feels better. If you donít have these then get to a magic shop and try some out. Without actually handling them no one here can advise you and be certain of being correct because it is mostly subjective.

Jim
Thx for your advice Jim, it does help.

If I am making enough, I would get both for sure haha ..

Mike
[quote]
On 2011-08-20 22:27, J-Mac wrote:
dollar coins are just over 1/4" larger in diameter and since you are usually covering part of the coins you're talking ~1/8" on one side larger - not many folks will notice IMO!
Jim
[/quote]

Hi Jim -- running the numbers, the dollar coins are 44% bigger than the halfs. so that seems like a lot... depends on how you look at it, I guess. I have the same issues with sponge balls, back and forth between 2 and 2.5 inches.
I just bought Double Deception after seeing it performed by Mark Mason at the TAOM. I was floored after he did the coin through a silk.
The Next Generation Gravity Flippers by Bob Swadling & Mark Mason are great.
Sad I emIled Lassen...never any response...not good business practice at all..I'll be buying a schoolcraft instead...
Can the Next Generation Gravity Flipper perform the routines from Eric Jone's An Extension of Me?
"Sad I emIled Lassen...never any response...not good business practice at all..I'll be buying a schoolcraft instead..."

You might try again. His blog stated that he has answered all emails back to the middle of June and that he is trying his best to get the situation caught up. He also stated that he is going back to his original method of mostly custom orders based on first come first serve with emphasis on better customer relations, so we know he is aware of his swamped dilemna. Your patience will be well worth it, based on your stated alternative. A peek at his blog will show what I am talking about.
I have been very pleased with my Schoolcraft OXF set as well as Mark Mason's Next Generation Flipper. Great quality is great quality no matter who produces it.
Just popped in to watch a few Dr. Sawa tapes. His use of this prop is like all his work awesome. Still haven't ventured into purchase but it is in my thinking about box in my nearly normal brain.

Harris
staying green to grow
[quote]
On 2011-09-13 11:14, Flyswatter wrote:
Can the Next Generation Gravity Flipper perform the routines from Eric Jones' An Extension of Me?
[/quote]

Yep!
[quote]
On 2011-08-21 19:50, billappleton wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-08-20 22:27, J-Mac wrote:
dollar coins are just over 1/4" larger in diameter and since you are usually covering part of the coins you're talking ~1/8" on one side larger - not many folks will notice IMO!
Jim
[/quote]

Hi Jim -- running the numbers, the dollar coins are 44% bigger than the halfs. so that seems like a lot... depends on how you look at it, I guess. I have the same issues with sponge balls, back and forth between 2 and 2.5 inches.
[/quote]

Sorry to reply so long after your post - I hate that there's no notification of replies here!

I agree that seems like a lot, but still the difference has never looked like much to me in stage or parlour work. To be honest, I have never actually performed coin magic on a stage. I did once in a parlour performance and I could see that some specs were bobbing and weaving to try and see better! Some use overhead cams and large screens - :wow: - but I donít get the chance to perform in venues that would be so equipped!! I pretty much stick with close-up only for my coin magic, and dollars do seem to amaze more in close-up work! Personally I donít see enough difference between dollars and halves when watching stage shows to make a difference in the audience view. My opinion of course!!

Thanks!

Jim
Auke van Dokkum makes a nice Eisenhower flipper available through Stevens Magic. I have two, so am trying to sell my extra over in that posting.

Bob Phillips
What's the difference between a gravity flipper and a pro gravity flipper ??
The price, mostly Fly.

Just a name some creator or creators have christened to indicate their "better" quality product... which they then charge a lot more for.

Jim
[quote]
On 2011-09-27 09:40, Flyswatter wrote:
What's the difference between a gravity flipper and a pro gravity flipper ??
[/quote]

You can adjust most flippers to be "gravity" flippers (search the threads here on the Cafť to find out how), but it was Todd Lassen that came up with a design with re-milled edge on the insert and an internal design that protects the band and makes it open "like butter". His design was called the gravity flipper - and it's still IMO the best design of it's type. Jim is correct that the addition of "Pro" is just a marketing ploy by others attempting to justify higher prices. If you want to see a thing of beauty, check out Todd's blog as he has just posted some pics of his most recent design changes to his GF.

Regards,

Alan
I am a senior citizen on a tight budget. I was contemplating getting a Lassen or Schoolcraft flipper for $135, just about a record magic expenditure for me. However, when I saw the specs for the Swadling flipper, I jumped at it for $75. If the quality is is as good a that of my MIracle Chip I am sure that I will be satisfied with it. BTW I had to watch the DVD to find out how to handle the gaff in the Miracle Chip. That baby is one fine piece of craftsmanship. Also the effects that are possible with it are truly awesome and require little or no skill.
Hey Tony.

I love my Miracle chip as well. Perhaps the most deceptive gaff I have. I never go anywhere without it.

I think You will like Swadling's new style flipper. I saw Mark demonstrate it at Tampa Magicfest and was very impressed. Got to meet Bob, too.

Regards,

Alan
I am indeed most pleased with my Swadling flipper. I recently (6/30/12) got a notice from Mark Mason stating that Swadling had improved his flipper again.
[quote]On Feb 24, 2009, John C wrote:
What is the best flipper for 3fly?
[/quote]
This is just my opinion, but I think you would best use a non-gimmick method instead of a gimmick. I think that non-gimmick 3-flys look better anyway because there is fiddling to get the coin unfolded.
There are other gimmicked VCA's which do not use flippers and look very clean.
[quote]On Apr 23, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:
There are other gimmicked VCA's which do not use flippers and look very clean. [/quote]
Maybe, but un-gimmicked is still cleaner in my opinion.
Why? You will be holding out an extra coin. If you can ditch the extra coin to 'end clean', then you could ditch a gaff [I'm not thinking of a flipper] just as easily, and the effect will be far cleaner throughout. I did once take the time to learn it ungaffed, and I genuinely don't understand what you are on about.
[quote]On Apr 23, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:
Why? You will be holding out an extra coin. If you can ditch the extra coin to 'end clean', then you could ditch a gaff [I'm not thinking of a flipper] just as easily, and the effect will be far cleaner throughout. I did once take the time to learn it ungaffed, and I genuinely don't understand what you are on about. [/quote]
Again just my opinion, but Simplex 3-fly by Eric Jones is pretty clean. Could you tell me what routine you are doing so I can look it up?
I'm new to this flipper business.. But I want to ask a question... Does the gravity flipper coin utilize an el***ic as well or does it solely work on gravity??

Feel free to pm me if you don't want to say it on here

Sleepy
[quote]On Jul 27, 2016, Sleepymentalism wrote:
I'm new to this flipper business.. But I want to ask a question... Does the gravity flipper coin utilize an el***ic as well or does it solely work on gravity??

Feel free to pm me if you don't want to say it on here

Sleepy [/quote]
With the gravity, two coins are produced when you hold the gimmick at one specific edge (where there is the c*t) but there is indeed an el***ic (a very small one, and for what I've seen, it's probably less likely to break than other flipper coins than use an el***ic). It's really a nice feature, but it doesn't close automatically. With some other types of flipper, the gimmick can be closed by shaking it. For instance, when the gimmick is open, there are two coins at the table, you want to do a coin through table, you "slam" the table from beneath while palming another coin, and you get the effect. You can't do that with a gravity one though.

I'm not expert of this kind of gimmicks, and I don't own any of them. The only gimmicks I have are shimmed and magnetic coins, and split coins (not the standard ones, but the special ones produced by N2G, e.g., N2, N3, N4 coin sets). So, probably someone else may give you more details. Also, you probably should tell us a little bit more about what you want to achieve with flipper coins; there are different gaffs because they are handled/used (a little bit) differently.
The "gravity" feature of a flipper has little to do with the type of elastic, and more to to with the *tension* of the elastic. There are ones with thread that are gravity (NGF) and not gravity (possibly Tango). There are ones with a band that are gravity (usually an internal system), or that are not gravity (the original flippers).

It all has to do with the tension of the band. Original ones were tight, and you had to "flip" your hand to open them up, and then the tension was so tight that you had to hold them flat - placing them on the table would cause it to raise up and be bowed.

Newer ones can be held by the edge and cause them to "fall" open, and they'll lay perfectly flat. But the tension is still enough that they'll close up with a casual toss into the air. Gravity does wonders! :)
[quote]On Jul 27, 2016, mh1001 wrote:

I'm not expert of this kind of gimmicks, and I don't own any of them. The only gimmicks I have are shimmed and magnetic coins, and split coins (not the standard ones, but the special ones produced by N2G, e.g., N2, N3, N4 coin sets). So, probably someone else may give you more details. Also, you probably should tell us a little bit more about what you want to achieve with flipper coins; there are different gaffs because they are handled/used (a little bit) differently. [/quote]

You admit you don't even own any of these, yet you reply describing their behavior as if you knew something, and spread misinformation.

[quote]
With the gravity, two coins are produced when you hold the gimmick at one specific edge (where there is the c*t)
[/quote]

Ummmm... WRONG. It will flop open if you don't hold it in any way that keeps the insert from flopping down due to gravity. Sure, you could pinch on both sides at a particular spot, but you could just as easily hold the coin by its edges and it will fall open. But it's not a production. The move should be done in secret.

[quote]
but there is indeed an el***ic (a very small one, and for what I've seen, it's probably less likely to break than other flipper coins than use an el***ic).
[/quote]

No, they break at pretty much the same rate -- it's more to do with rotting over time, but there are new materials now that solve that problem.

[quote]
It's really a nice feature, but it doesn't close automatically.
[/quote]

WRONG. They most certainly do close automatically. Toss an open one from hand to hand, up in the air, etc. They close automatically.

[quote]
With some other types of flipper, the gimmick can be closed by shaking it.
[/quote]

WRONG. You're probably confusing the need to OPEN a traditional one by shaking it.

[quote]
For instance, when the gimmick is open, there are two coins at the table, you want to do a coin through table, you "slam" the table from beneath while palming another coin, and you get the effect. You can't do that with a gravity one though.
[/quote]

Again, totally WRONG. For starters, with a traditional one, you can't have "two coins at the table" in the first place -- it will close as soon as you take your hands off it. That's the whole point of a gravity one -- that it CAN lay flat on a table whereas a traditional one couldn't.
As for your 2nd statement, you absolutely CAN bump a gravity model from under a table. You just need to do it hard enough to get it to jump in the air a bit, and as noted above, it WILL close all by itself. There are a number of well known routines that use exactly this principle.
Inigmntoya, a french coinmaker showed me his gravity coins, and showed me how it works. I was even allowed to touch them, try them, etc. So I know what I'm saying is correct. And it's a gravity flipper. But maybe I'm no good at explaining. And as for them to close automatically by a simple toss, I don't know since I never tried. By just looking at those, I thought that a "little move" was necessary for them to close. Like I've just said, these were not my coins, and the guy makes/sells them, so by respect to him, I didn't want to try doing tossing and other funny things. He was kind enough to show me all his gaffs.

"For starters, with a traditional one, you can't have "two coins at the table" in the first place"

And I think what you said IS wrong. What I saw was a flipper coin, but maybe I'm bad at describing things here. I thought I wasn't so bad in english. In any case, I don't want to continue this conversation with you. I prefer to stop when my interlocutor becomes hostile/agressive.

Well... Have a nice day.
[quote]On Jul 28, 2016, mh1001 wrote:
"For starters, with a traditional one, you can't have "two coins at the table" in the first place"

And I think what you said IS wrong. [/quote]

You can think what you want. Unless you put something on top of it like a deck of cards, a glass, etc. It's going to close on itself as soon as you let go of it. The effects that use them rely on that property. That's not a guess or opinion based on once seeing one. I've had flippers of one type or another for over 30 years, the oldest being a traditional one because that's all there were at the time.
Thanks for all the responses guys...so the effect I want to achieve is an effect that I have thought of and there's no guarantee it will even work with a flipper coin but if there is a coin that you think will work well with this then feel free to tell me...

So I tell a spec to hold two coins by the edges and domt let go of them...and then on the count of three I want them to drop the two coins into their other hand which is waiting underneath the coins. .....I have my hand nearby where they can see and as soon as they drop their coins there's only one left in there hand and one coin visually appears on my hand.... To make the coin appear in my hand I'm going to be using a technique that I saw in the drop'n project which was by Michael Eaton I think....but I need something for the first part to work
....thanks

Sleepy
[quote]On Jul 30, 2016, Sleepymentalism wrote:
Thanks for all the responses guys...so the effect I want to achieve is an effect that I have thought of and there's no guarantee it will even work with a flipper coin but if there is a coin that you think will work well with this then feel free to tell me...

So I tell a spec to hold two coins by the edges and domt let go of them...and then on the count of three I want them to drop the two coins into their other hand which is waiting underneath the coins. .....I have my hand nearby where they can see and as soon as they drop their coins there's only one left in there hand and one coin visually appears on my hand.... To make the coin appear in my hand I'm going to be using a technique that I saw in the drop'n project which was by Michael Eaton I think....but I need something for the first part to work
....thanks

Sleepy [/quote]

The method you describe is exactly the same method Eric Jones uses in one of the phases of his coins across routine that I cannot remember the name of right now.
So it will definitely work, I've done it myself. I would certainly use a gravity flipper for this, the standard type is likely to close prematurely when held by the spec.
[quote]On Jul 30, 2016, videoman wrote:
[quote]On Jul 30, 2016, Sleepymentalism wrote:

....thanks

Sleepy [/quote]

The method you describe is exactly the same method Eric Jones uses in one of the phases of his coins across routine that I cannot remember the name of right now.
So it will definitely work, I've done it myself. I would certainly use a gravity flipper for this, the standard type is likely to close prematurely when held by the spec. [/quote]

Ohhh...thanks a lot for that... So gravity flipper it is then....and also where does Eric Jones teach this like is it km one of his lectures or anything??? Thanks a lot again...the only reason I'm hesitant for flipper coins is because iveread they break VERY easily..but I will soon pick up. Gravity flipper just for this..

Again thanks for the info!

Sleepy
Doesn't matter I've found the Eric Jones' coins across that utilises this... Looks amazing

Sleepy
Okay guys another question from me here...if anyone has the tango TUC ...would this work with it??? So could a spec hold the TUC in a "flipper position" and then drop them and one of the coin vanishes?? Thanks again

Sleepy
[quote]On Jul 31, 2016, Sleepymentalism wrote:
Okay guys another question from me here...if anyone has the tango TUC ...would this work with it??? So could a spec hold the TUC in a "flipper position" and then drop them and one of the coin vanishes?? Thanks again

Sleepy [/quote]

TUC is composed of two parts : one is a ma****ic sh*ll and another is what it's called a "leaf" which is in fact a coin but which really doesn't look like a coin, it's so shaved down that the result is that it's too thin, and is about twice the thickness of a slippery sam I got from Digital Dissolve. To be honest, I don't like it, and that's why I'm selling it. It's of no use for most of my routines. And I got better results with my special split coins. As for your routine, it won't work. People should never touch or handle the "leaf" and not even look at it up close.
[quote]On Jul 31, 2016, mh1001 wrote:

Sleepy [/quote]

TUC is composed of two parts : one is a ma****ic sh*ll and another is what it's called a "leaf" which is in fact a coin but which really doesn't look like a coin, it's so shaved down that the result is that it's too thin, and is about twice the thickness of a slippery sam I got from Digital Dissolve. To be honest, I don't like it, and that's why I'm selling it. It's of no use for most of my routines. And I got better results with my special split coins. As for your routine, it won't work. People should never touch or handle the "leaf" and not even look at it up close. [/quote]

Thanks for the info....do you think the split coins would work for this routine...the only reason I'm asking is that I'm afraid of flippers breaking during performance...so if you could tell me if the split coins would work with this routine then that would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!!!

Sleepy
Split coin would not work for what you described earlier if that's what you mean.
Eric Jones uses a flipper and performs this routine a lot so breakage doesn't seem to be a huge problem for him.
Replace the band with elastic thread and breakage will be even much less of an issue.
Doesn't matter I've found the Eric Jones' coins across that utilises this... Looks amazing

Sleepy [/quote]

If you found it, would you mind sharing the source and/or name of his routine for it?

As others have said, the flipper is the only kind that can be shown so visibly open and then will close by itself. (Ok, there are others like the butter coin, but it's basically the same idea). Other types of gaffs just won't self-close off of a drop, especially not if the spectator is holding them.

Breakage is primarily an issue if you don't give care to maintenance. Check the flipper before performing, and inspect the band. Change it more frequently than you think you need. You'll be fine. It's not like playing with IET where it might just break from overstretching/misuse.
Thanks for the info guys ....so I've mainly looked at 3 flippers...they first one is the NGF but I'm not sure if that would really work as I don't think its a gravity flipper .....the second one is Keith Barrets 10p flipper which is half normal and half gravity... So again I'm not sure if that would work with this routine...and lastly its tango's pro flipper which has a new system and such that makes it eaiser to repair.... Sooo those are the ones I'm looking at ....do you have any preferences in these or Amy others...???

This is where I found Eric Jones' coins across routine btw
https://youtu.be/iF8_Hw_C3Iw

Thanks
Sleepy
Sleepy,

You really need to do a little bit of research first.
The NGF *is* a gravity flipper, read the description, say, here: http://www.jbtvusa.com/latest-j-b-products/next-generation-flipper-half-dollar-by-bob-swadling-mark-mason-517-73-631.php

[quote]The underground rumours are TRUE, we do have a brand new gravity flipper coin that has nothing to break, no springs, nothing to glue and no rubber band. This is called the Next Generation Flipper.[/quote]

The Tango Pro flipper isn't necessarily a gravity, the pro is an internal band vs the non-pro which is an external band. But Tango does make gravity flippers, like this one: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11023 though it looks like it's no longer made. (It might be that all the Pro's are now gravity, but I doubt it).

I'm unfamiliar with Keith Barret's flippers, but given the explanation you've gotten above, I'm unclear how it can be "half normal and half gravity". (Do you have a link?") But it will still work the way you want, because as we told you, both non-gravity *and* gravity flippers will self close and work with the routine...
Ohhh thanks for the info....well the tango "no rubber band" pro elastic system flipper is what I was on about... If you stretch it enough then it claims can be made into a gravity.... I'll link you Keith Barrets flipper that says it is half gravity and half normal...and someone was saying on this thread that non gravity won't work as it might close prematurely if the spec is holding on to it..

Anyway this is Keith Barrets flipper
http://kbmagic.com/ten-pence-flipper-traditional/

Thanks

Sleepy
The Pro Gravity stands to what it says , except that it won't be permanently gravity . When you stretch it , the flipper will become a gravity one for a while , but after a while it'll return to bring normal . Unless you chose to tie the band looser , then you'll get one that's fully gravity . The one that comes in the package can be stretched but won't remain gravity for a long time .
And it's worth mentioning that you can make a normal flipper become gravity . Simply superglue the band at the edges to the groove when stretched and it'll loosen the coin yet still make it tight enough such that it'll automatically close when dropped . However his proccess will cause additional trouble when replacing the band , but as far as I've tried the band will last as long as before altered .
Nice.... Well I was thinking to just get a normal flipper and I already have a nice spool if elastic thread that I can replace the elastic with...if that Is possible.. Would it be possible??

Thanks

Sleepy
[quote]On Aug 1, 2016, Sleepymentalism wrote:
Nice.... Well I was thinking to just get a normal flipper and I already have a nice spool if elastic thread that I can replace the elastic with...if that Is possible.. Would it be possible??[/quote]

I've done it many times.
Will send you some details via PM.
Thanks...got your pm!

Sleepy
Ohhh thanks for the info....well the tango "no rubber band" pro elastic system flipper is what I was on about... If you stretch it enough then it claims can be made into a gravity.... I'll link you Keith Barrets flipper that says it is half gravity and half normal...and someone was saying on this thread that non gravity won't work as it might close prematurely if the spec is holding on to it..

Thanks

Sleepy [/quote]

Read that again. It says it's half *way* between a gravity and standard flipper. So the tension of the band isn't extremely loose, but also it's very tight.
To my eye from the video, it looks like it's more like a standard one, in that it doesn't just fall open, but that because of his mat, the flipper stays open and lies flat.

I think the choice you need to make for yourself is what you want to do with it, and that will decide what kind of flipper you want.
[quote]On Aug 2, 2016, tonsofquestions wrote:

Thanks

Sleepy [/quote]

Read that again. It says it's half *way* between a gravity and standard flipper. So the tension of the band isn't extremely loose, but also it's very tight.
To my eye from the video, it looks like it's more like a standard one, in that it doesn't just fall open, but that because of his mat, the flipper stays open and lies flat.

I think the choice you need to make for yourself is what you want to do with it, and that will decide what kind of flipper you want. [/quote]

Actually it's just a (likely unauthorized) clone of the Mark Mason / Bob Swadling NGF, as (apparently) is the Tango version whose video he (Barret) used on his site.
Inigo, that Ten Pence flipper is a traditional banded flipper according to the website. Says it's the last of them with rubber bands. And their elastic thread flippers are from Tango.

Also, just FYI, Kreis magic had flippers using elastic thread on the market long before the NGF from Mark and Bob. I donít know, perhaps Bob had the idea earlier but Kreis was definitely selling them earlier, so who is to say from whom authorization should be sought? BTW, the Kreis flippers are what Joe Mogar sells on his site.

Jim
Hi. I just recently purchased a Lassen magnetic gravity flipper Morgan coin and while it is beautifully made, as a novice in coin magic, I am confused. When I flipped it into the air a few times in the open position (coins lying flat on my hand), it did what I think it is designed to do and became a single coin. Then, the two small white tape(?) pieces started to come off so I removed them. Can someone please tell me and or show me if the gaff is supposed to have double sided tape on the coins? There is slight tape residue which is sticky on both the moveable part of the magnetic coin and the shell. Photos of how my coins should look in the open or expanded two coin position would be appreciated especially indicating where tape, if any, should be placed. I will attempt to contact Mr. Lassen directly with my questions but I know that getting in touch with him can be hit and miss. If someone can address my questions in a Private Message in the interest of non disclosure, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Eric.
Sounds like you may have pulled off some Teflon tape meant to help quiet the operation -- may or may not have been standard issue from Todd.
Typically it should only be needed on either the shell or the insert -- too much (two layers) could affect the way things sit when closed (insert not fully nested).

[quote]On Jun 12, 2019, erichoudini wrote:
Hi. I just recently purchased a Lassen magnetic gravity flipper Morgan coin and while it is beautifully made, as a novice in coin magic, I am confused. When I flipped it into the air a few times in the open position (coins lying flat on my hand), it did what I think it is designed to do and became a single coin. Then, the two small white tape(?) pieces started to come off so I removed them. Can someone please tell me and or show me if the gaff is supposed to have double sided tape on the coins? There is slight tape residue which is sticky on both the moveable part of the magnetic coin and the shell. Photos of how my coins should look in the open or expanded two coin position would be appreciated especially indicating where tape, if any, should be placed. I will attempt to contact Mr. Lassen directly with my questions but I know that getting in touch with him can be hit and miss. If someone can address my questions in a Private Message in the interest of non disclosure, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Eric. [/quote]
Thank you.
Eric.
Received pics; flipper had come apart -- sent repair info.

[quote]On Jun 12, 2019, inigmntoya wrote:
Sounds like you may have pulled off some Teflon tape meant to help quiet the operation -- may or may not have been standard issue from Todd.
Typically it should only be needed on either the shell or the insert -- too much (two layers) could affect the way things sit when closed (insert not fully nested).

[quote]On Jun 12, 2019, erichoudini wrote:
Eric. [/quote] [/quote]
Inigmntoya is our resident flipper coin guru.
He replaced my rubber bands with elastic thread and it works great and should last a looooong time!
I have used custom sets and mass production sets from most of the custom workers out there. They all have their proís and cons. I believe no single producerís entire catalogue of gaffs is ďthe bestĒ. I love the ngf flipper in walkers by jb magic. Though for barbers I use a Schoolcraft oxf set. Roy is hit or miss in my opinion. Johnson is great and even tango gravity pro isnít bad for a Kennedy. The attached picture is my Schoolcraft barber oxf set with 4 matching coins [ and flipper is nested.