(Close Window)
Topic: Sponge balls question?
I'm 14, I have good size hands. not big enough for a double charlier cut though. I want to get into sponge balls but not sure what size to get. any suggestions?
1.5 inch or 2 inch will work fine. Most use 2 inch, I prefer 1.5 and I have large hands. I've taught many students with small hands with 2 inch sponge balls and no problem they compress very nicely. 2 inch are much easier to come by as well, almost a standard size.
I agree. I was worried about the same problem when I was your age. But 2 inch works great for me.
Yes, but make sure you get "Super Soft" sponge balls. The compress and handle easier.
Sponge balls are cheap. Try a couple different sizes and see which ones you like the best.
I've just ordered 2 inch super soft red sponge balls. I'll reply how they are for my hands once they arrive. it's gonna be a while tho sence I got the free shipping.
This will also depend on the audience you are working with. If you need them tohold 2 balls and their hands are small, you may need to use 1.5 inch size.
Test
I started with 1.5's and now have all sizes and colors up to 4 inch. Fun stuff that plays well for kids and adults alike so I always have at least 3 in my bag o tricks that's in my vehicle at all times! I read somewhere that by dunking them in some water with a couple drops of dish washing detergent not only keeps the little buggers clean and fresh looking, I think it adds life to em and extends their usefulness! Good luck and have fun!
Mick
I like dropping a couple drops of water on them before I am going to preform. They seem to just handle a little better that way.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Aug 10, 2007 09:02PM)
[quote]
On 2007-08-10 17:03, Jay Austin wrote:
I like dropping a couple drops of water on them before I am going to preform. They seem to just handle a little better that way.
[/quote]

interesting . . . will try that out. Thanks
In the past I started with small sponges. I later worked myself up to the 3 inch size. Presently I am using 5 inch rabbits.
I have big hands and I use 1" balls. Just try out with different ones, maybe go to a magicians meeting and ask to see some of their balls.
1.5" to 2" would be ideal. Try them out and see which size suits you and your audience. It would also depend on the effects you are performing. Testing is the best solution.
Eugene Burger uses 1.5", I believe. That's what I've started using as well. I've also stopped buying the super soft ones, and now I buy just regular ones, because of a tip on one of Eugene's videos. He just says to let them soak in some water once you get them. It makes them easier to handle afterwards.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Aug 28, 2007 06:30AM)
1"5 is a good size to start . . .
Ned Nebalsky once told me... if you get good with 2" regular performing with the smaller and supersoft spongeballs is a piece of cake.