(Close Window)
Topic: Telling Tales by Luke Jermay
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 22, 2007 09:22PM)
TELLING TALES BY LUKE JERMAY

Two brand new amazing, clever mind stunts from Luke Jermay in this new ebook available from http://www.emagicsupply.com

REVIEW: Telling Tales is a brand new ebook by Luke Jermay, and is truly a fantastic piece of work. Luke first begins with a nice Introduction, thanking the consumer for purchasing his ebook and explaining a little bit about his thinking this time around and talking about the thinking behind both effects as well. After the fantastic introduction from this young genius of magic and mentalism, Luke includes a section he calls The Approach. The Approach is a lengthly explanation behind the psychological bits of the stunts in the ebook as well as discussing a very in-depth reason for his thinking this time. You will find this is not typical Jermay thinking at all, and it is very clever, funny, and very fascinating.

After The Approach comes the two spectacular effects... VERY clever thinking, and I will review each effect below:

BIG SPENDER: Sitting at a restaurant, the magician and his friend wait for their check. As soon as that little black folder comes with the bill inside, the magician opens up his wallet and carefully counts out enough money to pay for lunch. Ony one thing... The money is only Play Money!!! This Monopoly money is given directly to the waitress and she walks away, later returning the the CHANGE from the magician's money! Keep in mind:

No switch, the waitress genuinely gets the Monopoly Money

The waitress is not pre-arranged or in on it whatsoever. The very clever method allows for a sudden performance. Nobody is in-the-know but YOU.

Personally, I love this to bits and I cannot wait to try it next time I pay for lunch somewhere with a friend. Just imagine the possibilities! and the best part is that the waitress actually gives you change!! Honestly, how much more weird can it get? This is definitely a stunt to be remembered. Luke goes very in-depth in explaining this effect, as well as outining the "safe" way to perform it, as a waitress lacking in a certain personality quality will ruin the effect (you'll see what I mean when you learn this)

The method for this is VERY clever and very easy to do... you really only need some play money and of course real money. I cannot wait to try this out, and you will feel the same way. In fact, I predict many of you will be offering to pay for meals more often! I give this effect a 9/10 for a clever method and VERY effective, odd effect it has on spectators.

GOOGLE GOOGLE: The basic effect is that, at a coffee shop, the magician is working away on his laptop when all of a sudden his papers fall to the floor. A passer-by will naturally help to pick them up, and it is seen that is is a list of random words. The magician explains that he has been trying, a little bit at a time, to memorize search results for every word possible on http://www.google.com. This obviously sounds like an impossible feat, so the magician offers to prove it. The spectator searches ANY word they want to on the magician's laptop, and the magician can name the whole First Page of search results for that random word! A truly impossible Rain Man-style feat that is sure to be remembered for a very long time.

Luke Jermay provides two methods for this effect. Essentially, you will need to have easy access to a computer or laptop, and since I have my laptop everywhere with me, I can do this. Both methods taught are very good, and I will go into them now.

Method One will definitely not be a favourite with anyone, in fact I highly doubt that anyone will use this method. For one, it's costly and it also requires a secret assistant. This method is definitely fascinating to read, but unfortunately not practical at all.

Method Two is fantastic, but will require anopther easily obtainable item to work with. You can carry this item with you everywhere to perform this effect. This method is very inexpensive and can be accomplished with a special comething you probably already have. This method is very practical and makes GOOGLE GOOGLE worthwhile to learn. I give this feat of mind power a solid 8/10. Jermay is surely a fantastic thinker in magic, and this effect will not disappoint!

OVERALL: Overall I give this ebook an 8/10. Luke brings some more VERY bizarre, creative effects and stunts to our attention, providing insightful psychological bits and other subtleties to strengthen each effect. Because of the cleverness of the effects and their potential to get people talking, I highly recommend this ebook.

Telling Tales by Luke Jermay is available as a PDF download at http://www.emagicsupply.com
So you have not actually tried Big Spender?

I was interested in this as the reviews have been mostly good and the effects (well really just Big Spender) seem pretty unique.

So the effect will be the same for everyone?
The waitress etc will never be in the know?

I have an idea or two on how to accomplish this without pre-show, but if only yourself is in the know at all times (no stooges instant or otherwise) and no dual reality then I would def be interested in checking it out.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 23, 2007 03:37AM)
Yes, absolutely nobody is in the know at all.. Only you know what you are doing. Sure, the waitress sees later on, but subtle hints prevent her from revealing the scam.
Ok cheers
Think I will wait for some more reviews of this...
[quote]
On 2007-08-23 09:00, mescalitoeyes wrote:
Think I will wait for some more reviews of this...
[/quote]
Hi, Mescalitoeyes...
you can read also a review on http://www.magicbunny.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36449
Best,
Pier
Hmmm not too encouraging
What the...

didn't I just pay 40 dollars for this ebook two months ago because it was a limited edition of 200 and would never be released again? Wait, Yes I did.

[quote]
On 2007-06-16 16:38, Ramsay wrote:
Hey Everyone,

The E-Book "Telling Tales" is coming to the end of its limited run (200 copies) once they have gone they have gone. If you have been waiting to pick a copy up now is the time to do so!

Many Thanks,

L.
[/quote]

Oh, and it wasn't worth 40 dollars. It's not worth the 30 dollars they're charging here either.
1 possitive, one negative... anyone else? I like lukes work in coral fang, especially touching on hoy (very clever thinking).
[quote]
On 2007-08-24 13:05, mescalitoeyes wrote:
1 possitive, one negative... anyone else? I like lukes work in coral fang, especially touching on hoy (very clever thinking).
[/quote]
On http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ftopic20603.php the thread, from the same review of magicBunny, has grown and there are others opnions.

Best,
Pier
Cheers piers...
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 25, 2007 12:53AM)
Thank you for explaining the situation Mr. Jermay, and congratulations on such a fascinating ebook.
So, I guess last time when you said "The E-Book "Telling Tales" is coming to the end of its limited run (200 copies) once they have gone they have gone. If you have been waiting to pick a copy up now is the time to do so!"

What you meant was, "The E-Book 'Telling Tales" is coming to the end of its limited run (200 copies) once they have gone they are not gone at all. If you have been waiting to pick a copy up, keep waiting because in two months you'll be able to buy it for 25% less than I'm selling it for now."

I somehow managed to completely misinterpret it.

Getting to the content of the manuscript, the method to the first effect is, unfortunately, the same method you would come up with and disregard if you were trying to come up with a method yourself. At least it's the same method I came up with and disregarded in 2 minutes. Here's why. For the effect to be convincing the waitress would have to take the play money from you in a manner that implied that nothing unusual was going on. But that's NOT what will happen at all. She will look at the play money quizzically and then pick up on what's going on and she'll smile, or give you a sideways glance, or in the worst situation sigh and scowl and wonder why you're wasting her time. The only thing that can't possibly happen is that she will take the money and act normally.

The second effect is great if you have a secret assistant and hundreds of dollars worth of technology (in addition to your computer)with you. If you don't have those things at your disposal he provides a second version that most anyone can do, but you won't because it's really cruddy.
LOL, "Telling Tales" seems to be an appropriate term for Mr Jermay at the moment.

But remember, he is a master of psychological deception and will soon have you all singing his praises!

Come soon, Luke Jermay & Bob Cassidy present "Customer Care & Trust" ???

Villa
I cannot speak about his business dealings, as I have yet to deal with him; I do however like his Genii articles from the past 2 months.

XX
I'm still waiting for my copy of Telling Tales, 10 days now.

Hope I don't have to get a court order like the guy on the Magicbunny site had to?

Villa
Just a quick note that "Telling Tales" is now available at Lybrary.com: http://www.lybrary.com/telling-tales-p-648.html

As usual you will benefit from our permanent storage feature and a speedy and personal customer support.

Best,
Chris
Chris, how come you are allowed to sell this? Its a limited edition which is now surely run out.

Am I mistaken about this? Does Luke Jermay know you are selling it? Do you have permission to sell a certain number of copies?
Genghis,

I have certainly permission to sell this from Luke. He contacted me.

Best,
Chris....
The number of copies of Telling Tales is limited, but only by our imaginations.
I rang Luke today and he said that the limited edition TT was the higher price one that you could only get from him. The unlimited edition is the cheaper version available from Lybrary. You can still purchase the higher priced first edition from Alakazam magic.
Joker.
MT, since you did not put in a smiley face, I am hoping this is a great bit of humour on your part! As it is funny - but if true, very sad.

VERITAS/SADITAS
[quote]I have certainly permission to sell this from Luke. He contacted me.[/quote]

Glad to hear it Chris. I thought that would be the case. I believe your trading reputation is pretty good.

Can you tell us if your sales are unlimited? Or do you have a limited number you are allowed to sell? If so, how many?

Thanks,

G.
Mike Throxenby,

I have never spoken to you even via email let alone on the phone. I have no idea what your talking about.

The manuscript is still limited as Chris can attest to. It is being stocked by a few dealers all of whom have a certain number they are able to sell but once they have sold that number the edition is out of print.

Hope this clears things up.

By the way if you order from me directly it is higher priced and it is the same as the copies offered else where. I however uphold the price of 40 rather than 30 which is what most dealers seem to be selling it for.

Villa - please email me directly if you have not got your copy of telling tales yet.

I find it odd that people feel the quickest way to get things solved is to post on here instead of email me directly.

Who did you order telling tales from and when?

As far as I know all orders made directly to me have been filled. if it was an order directly to me please provide the order ID in an email to me and I will check into it.

L.
Thanks again for clearing things up Luke! I find it odd too, now that you mention it. I guess they just want their opinions heard before the creator defends himself. No problem though, you have my support here! Hope you enjoyed my review.

Michael Kras
Luke,

I guess I just find it odd that you would come on here 2 or 3 months ago and tell us that if we wanted in on this we needed to pick it up soon because they were almost gone. I find this especially odd considering you apparently had already allocated enough of these for dealers and apparently sold them to dealers at a deep enough discount for them to charge 25% less than you charged myself and others. I'm curious with your reputation how you weren't able to sell a mere 200 copies of this on your own. But perhaps it's actually your reputation that prevented you from doing so.

In regards to the material in the notes. As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread the first effect as written would not work. The second effect you provided two methods for which were both good and workable. Unfortunately the good method wasn't workable and the workable method was lame.

For anyone else who bought this and felt ripped off, here's a way to do Big Spender that would actually work. It's not pretty, but it's good. Simply call the restaurant beforehand and set it up with the manager and waitress. If you're going to stooge the waitress, why bother doing it on the fly? What is the benefit in that? There is nothing to be gained by it and it will likely cause you to have a waitress who is confused at the important moment and blows the gag. Set it up beforehand and you can pay the waitress in blank paper, monopoly money, tiger pelts, or whatever. And the waitress would be able to ENHANCE the effect rather than be an obstacle in the midst of it. There are a couple ways to set it up logistically, but the easiest way is to just leave your credit card with the manager at some point. Have her run the card for the total of your meal, a 25 percent tip for the waitress, and an extra $17 bucks (for example). The $17 is for the waitress to return as your "change" from the play money. If you want she can return your credit card to you hidden in with your change or you can get it back some other way. I've done similar stunts to this from time to time and it works brilliantly.
Magicsquared, I thought the exact same thing the second I heard about this effect. It's much more logical than Luke's method and less risky.

Actually it's so logical that some people might suspect that's what really happened, no matter which method you choose.
[quote]
On 2007-09-05 11:02, DJM wrote:
Magicsquared, I thought the exact same thing the second I heard about this effect. It's much more logical than Luke's method and less risky.

Actually it's so logical that some people might suspect that's what really happened, no matter which method you choose.
[/quote]

Good point. It probably wouldn't work in a vacuum. You would need to have established yourself as being able to pull off this type of thing already.

In the book How to Play With Your Food by Penn and Teller, they have a great stunt where the waitress offers to comp your meal if she can have a doodle you've done on your napkin. I've done that before and it works great and there is little suspicion because the point of the whole thing isn't "look at this incredible power I have," it's just to create an intriguing situation.
I e-mailed this to Luke after getting TT that I do the pick up the tab effect is something I learned from Business 101 and etiquette school... it is not "magic" or "mentalism" per se but you just go to the establishment beforehand and drop a wad of dough to cover expenses and have tab at the place... when you are with your VIP and you are finished the meal, you do not even bother for a cheque, you just get up and go... the person will usually say "what about..." and all you have to say is "Do not worry, it is taken care of."

However, the idea from TT did get me thinking of something I saw in X-Files, so I e-mailed Luke that I would attempt the following, which worked great for me... but as mentioned above as per others suggestions, I prepare the "actors"... if you recall in X-files, there is this cool villain who has a brain tumour that lets him mind control people and make them see mental illusions as needed... at one point, he just takes a piece of paper, writes FBI on it as a "ID Badge" and waltzes through the FBI security area, as he is projecting the image of a real badge using the paper mock-up as a focus for people to see the illusion... so, I figured, that would be a cool premise to mind control cheque paying versus play money - so, I look at the bill, take out a piece of blank paper and draw, let us say, a $20 bill (poorly) on it... my guest goes "whatcha up to?" I explain the mental force premise, and ask him to focus on the bill... which I have switched for a twenty... I take the mental force off him and say see, it is paper and magic marker ink... now watch... the server collects it and returns real change. You smile at the VIP and say "don't worry - I respect how hard the servers work...and would never rob them..." you call the waitress over and give her back the change and ask if you can get your twenty back and pay by credit card. She returns the paper. You give the paper to the VIP.

Reason I think I like to add the very end part - the concept of paying for something with Play Money, or whatever, then moving on... really demonstrates to the VIP that you are a thief, crook or liar of some sort, 'cuz the end message also is that YOU ARE NOT PAYING FOR YOUR MEAL... there may be a remote chance the VIP thinks that they love you so Play Money is Ok - but most likely if they buy into the mental illusion or whatver premise, you are doing a scam using mental/magic powers. Now, if you are demonstrating your powers then show you were doing this just as an example, this might be kosher. i.e. you then really pay so the VIP can see you are giving the establishment its due. Otherwise, perhaps the message will also be - he will get robbed next...

I did this X-Files thing once - but really, I will stick with the classic basic business etiquette way I've always done things - as it leaves you clean, classy and seemingly possessed of something mysterious (Is he a regular at this Club? When did he pay? He paid before... if so...what a nice guy anyway)... whatever.

Well, that is my two cents. (well note ven real two-cents but e-cents).
Spektor, good points.

I think with this manuscript I was expecting something subtle and clever. Something that would improve on the "set it up in advance" way of performing these types of effects. But to me the method provided was a significant step backwards because you cannot handle the play money as freely, and if the waitress is the least bit confused (and there's no way she WOULDN'T be given the situation) then the effect is ruined.

When this was a "limited edition" and almost unavailable, I didn't feel the need to voice my opinion because I figured it didn't matter at that point. But now that it's back around I wanted to give a point of view I wished had been available before I shelled out my 40 bucks.
I'd also like to say thanks to Dr. Spektor for sharing his thoughts. Nice to be reminded of that x-files episode. Lovely idea of drawing a bank note at the table! It has a nice build to it.
Thanks David! The X-Files is a great source of inspiration (although I haven't figured out how to work in Fluke-Man into a routine as yet :P)
I have now bought and read this manuscript. The effects are both good (I think Luke is a master at creating new premises for routines) and his thoughts on myth building are worth reading. My only gripe is that Luke could have gone more into depth about:

1) How to set up the con (i.e. get your "vicitim" to suggest you do that which you want to do)
2) How to rule out the obvious methods in the minds of the “victims” of these effect
3) How to structure these events to promote the story telling they are aimed at achieving

I think that Luke would have a great deal to say about all this, but perhaps that’s another book.

I also wish that Luke would get into the habit of having someone edit and proof read his copy. I’m sure there are plenty of people who would volunteer to do the job.
What about handing a blank piece of paper like Derren Brown does in one of his US shows?

By this, the mystery remains the same and the craziness that would trigger strange behaviour from a waitress are drastically eliminated...

What do you think?
[quote]
On 2007-09-14 13:00, aware wrote:
What about handing a blank piece of paper like Derren Brown does in one of his US shows?

By this, the mystery remains the same and the craziness that would trigger strange behaviour from a waitress are drastically eliminated...

What do you think?
[/quote]

I think you haven't read this manuscript. It doesn't matter what you hand to her instead of money you would still have the same problems.
The only real way isto tlak to her before hand and promise a big tip.
[quote]

I also wish that Luke would get into the habit of having someone edit and proof read his copy. I’m sure there are plenty of people who would volunteer to do the job.
[/quote]

Gabelson, Café member, is a great person to do editing (for a reasonable fee). He has helped me with some things that I am working on and he is professional writer. Interested parties should really seek him out. He is here often.

Sean
A blank piece of paper would not really limit the reaction that might occur when you hand it to the waitress, the monopoly money would maybe have a faster reaction of puzzlement but not by much as it's still odd to hand someone a piece of plain paper as payment.

There is one thing that has worked for me which, while not always possible, allows for a better chance of succeeding and lets you know beforehand if it will go... and it's still basically impromptu with the first time the person your with sees the waitress being your first time also.
It's so simple that I'm sure if you really think about it you will come up with the same thing.
Well actually there is two ways... one more for magicians and the other for those who don't perform 'magic'.

At first I wasn't keen on this but now actually enjoy it.
Could someone PM me the episode of the X Files episode mentioned if they know it please!

Cheers!

MC
Are they still selling this?
Yep

http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18
And also at the Lybrary http://www.lybrary.com/telling-tales-p-648.html
So this was a limited release four months ago and you haven't sold the 200 copies yet? Or are they selling more? I'm confused.
Who knows lol, but if more are sold than what was stated that would be unfair
The contingent Luke gave me to sell has not yet been sold. Once I have sold it the ebook will be removed.
Ok now you have my attention Chris.

How many did he give you to sell?

I think that is what most of these Cats want to know.

-Jim
Jim, it is not appropriate for me to disclose details of business arrangements but Luke has mentioned publicly that he is limiting Telling Tales to 200 copies. I have received a fraction of that to sell.
[quote]
On 2007-10-18 18:34, Chris wrote:
Jim, it is not appropriate for me to disclose details of business arrangements but Luke has mentioned publicly that he is limiting Telling Tales to 200 copies. I have received a fraction of that to sell.
[/quote]

Why not just say 5 or 20 or 50? You're selling magic e-books not state secrets, have some perspective.

Of course, it's quite possible that you don't want to give a concrete number because it wouldn't jibe with what Luke would say on the subject (considering he said it was almost sold out two months before you started selling the manuscript).
Who cares? Enough with the leading questions and implied guilt through speculation. He's acting professionally and no amount of insinuation will goad him into this mud-slinging arena. Got an issue with Luke, deal with him privately. Move on.
[quote]
On 2007-10-18 23:25, bekralik wrote:
Who cares? Enough with the leading questions and implied guilt through speculation. He's acting professionally and no amount of insinuation will goad him into this mud-slinging arena. Got an issue with Luke, deal with him privately. Move on.
[/quote]

Hey goofball, not telling how many of a "limited edition" release you have to sell is not "acting professionally."

But nice try though.
I would like to give away my copy of Telling Tales. Whenever I feel I've been taken by purchasing a magic item, I like to get that thing out of my possession. It's bad juju. If anyone wants it, send me a PM and I'll pick someone to give it to later today.
Chris is professional and runs one of the greatest ebook sites. I'm sure his deal is legit fellows.
Yeah, Tian_ci, I think that Chris is very upfront about everything and will indeed follow whatever deal he has with Mr. Jermay.
You guys are missing the point. The question wasn't whether Chris is an honest businessman, the question was whether Luke is selling more of these than he claimed. Considering he came on here months ago and said they were almost gone and then two months later these showed up for sale on multiple websites makes it seem like that's the case.
I wasn't missing the point, I was responding to Tian's comment.

The issue with the number of releases is a completely different boat. If I actually knew how many were really released, I'd feel comfortable commenting. Does anybody here actually know the number released versus the number announced or is everybody guessing? Guessing is fine, don't get me wrong, I am just curious if anybody has any actual evidence.

Actually, technically, this thread started with a review, did it not? So, technically, isn't everything else missing the point including this post?
Guys, all I can say is that the quantity Luke gave me for sale is all I am selling and not a single copy more. This I guarantee. I don't feel it is professional to quote the number because it is up to Luke to parcel out the quantities the way he sees fit. If I quote my quantity another dealer might be miffed or vice versa. I don't know every statement Luke made in the past and can therefore not vouch for him directly. But I can say that my dealings with him have always been professional and honest and I have no reason to believe that Luke is trying to pull any tricks here.
"dealings with him have always been professional and honest and I have no reason to believe that Luke is trying to pull any tricks here"

There's a novelty ;-)

Villa
Hi,

Wow - this thread continues....!

In any case, Mindcontroller, the Epsiode is called PUSHER from season 3:

http://www.foxhome.com/trustno1/low/episode/e31-36_wave6/e33main.html

The waltzing into the FBI HQ using a piece of paper "ID" is what inspired me.

Most of my effects are based on Horror/SF/Fantasy film/TV/radio/books... so much is there!
[quote]
On 2007-10-19 11:08, Magicsquared wrote:
I would like to give away my copy of Telling Tales. Whenever I feel I've been taken by purchasing a magic item, I like to get that thing out of my possession. It's bad juju. If anyone wants it, send me a PM and I'll pick someone to give it to later today.
[/quote]

Out of curiosity, to whom did you give the item? Did anyone even PM you for it? Will you even say, or would that bring worse juju?

Arnon
(follow-up researcher on bad juju item and psychological effect of "bane branding" on Café members; smiley intentionally omitted for purposes of this inquiry)
Dr Spektor, maybe this would interest you too..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Messing

mescalito
Hey cool! Thanks Mescalito!
Dr. Spektor,

Thanks for your wonderful suggestion about the "classy" way of performing this trick: pre-paying and just walking with a "It's taken care of" if questioned, leaving your guests with a wonderful impression, speculating on your foresight and marvelling at your kindness. What better way to make a good impression!

Also, excellent point about seeming to "rip off the joint" if the effect is performed without reversing it at the end by paying via credit card. A lesson in basic magical ettiquette and an important reminder to consider the subtle implications of an effect about the magician's moral character.
Thanks Nboisen - I try... I try... :)!
Telling Tales is amazing in my opinion. Google Google is actually really good if you can present it correctly. Big Spender is also really good, but I only perform it occassionally for obvious reasons to the owners. I definitely recommend this book.

Brucelee
Hey BL, did you buy it for $40?
No, I didn't. My friend bought it and gave it to me for my B-day.

Brucelee
Yep, it is a great book when it is free! Especially an e-book! Happy holidays!
Hey, what happened to the option to delete our posts? I guess this post will have to do, instead.
[quote]
On 2007-12-24 10:41, Dr Spektor wrote:
Yep, it is a great book when it is free! Especially an e-book! Happy holidays!
[/quote]

It sure is, happy holidays to you too!

Brucelee
I don't know if it's the same method, but Derren Brown performs it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vz_YTNLn6w

Nicolas.
Sigh... Luke seems to be a shadow of his own self nowadays. Pardon me for saying but I think I prefer the Luke that I see in the old Skulduggery video rather than the one that wears stained and torn shirt in the new Penguin Magic video. :-/

Too many stories are going around on the Café, Luke.
[quote]
On 2007-12-31 07:58, dunlop wrote:

Nicolas.
[/quote]

That is not the same method. Derren, I think, uses some sort of influence. Notice his wonder words of, "just take it."

Brucelee
[quote]
On 2008-01-03 15:46, Brucelee wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-12-31 07:58, dunlop wrote:

Nicolas.
[/quote]

That is not the same method. Derren, I think, uses some sort of influence. Notice his wonder words of, "just take it."

Brucelee
[/quote]

Or, he could be lying about it. :)
[quote]
On 2008-01-02 23:20, phillys wrote:
Sigh... Luke seems to be a shadow of his own self nowadays. Pardon me for saying but I think I prefer the Luke that I see in the old Skulduggery video rather than the one that wears stained and torn shirt in the new Penguin Magic video. :-/

Too many stories are going around on the Café, Luke.
[/quote]

Are you sure? Maybe not enough stories.... this is about Telling Tales.