(Close Window)
Topic: 35mm film canister rockets
We used to break up a alka seltzer tablets into a 35 mm film canisters with a little bit of water, shake well, put the cap on tight, turn it upside down on the ground, stand back, count to ten and it will take off like a rocket 30 or 40 feet in the air.
FUN STUFF
Al
http://wm.kusa.gannett.edgestreams.net/news/1125961592491-09-05-05-spanglermentos-4p.wmv

My son did the mentos/diet soda trick at a family picnic a year ago and it was a big hit.

I never heard of the alka seltzer trick, I'll have to tell my son about that one.
I love the mentos trick. Wait untill you see the alka seltzer explosion. The tighter the cap the bigger the explosion.
Do you just use one tablet or how many do you use?
Do you break it up in quarters or how small or big must the pieces be?
It has been a while, but as I recall you smash up 1/2 alka seltzer tablet, with a little water, and shake it well. It will not work with a loose lid. I suggest you try a couple experiments before you do it at a party. If you stand too close you will get wet.
Wrap some baking soda in aluminum foil then put it in the canister, fill the canister the rest of the way with lye. The stand back, far back, lye plays hell with your eyes.
Josh
Is that what happened to your hair?
No, my wife lit the bed on fire one night.... well you know, they get grumpy sometimes.
I can't believe this last post.....see you in the e.r.
They haven't posted since the 28th. hmmmmm
Yes that post was in bad taste.
Knew this guy in college (late 60's early 70's) who was always wanting to find some way to get a cheap high. So one night we were all hanging together and this guy with a reputation for getting high told him, cover 6 alkaseltzer with peanut butter, swallow them whole, then chug a beer. Wonder how high that launched him? I heard a rumor he not only tried it but was stupid enough to tell people he did.
Father Photius
I also always wonder what became of those after shave lotion drinking, get high on over the counter medication fellows that we all remember from our youth. I guess they were just not into life for the long haul.
Does anyone know how to get a quarter into an Alka Seltzer tablet? I thought it would be cool to make a quarter appear after it vanished in the water ala Tarbell.
Here's an alternative to using the Alka Seltzer tablet film cannister rocket...

Use the film cannister as per usual, but instead try adding a squirt of electronics coolant spray. This is the stuff that is sprayed onto electronic items when you're soldering them to cool them down quickly. It used to be available from Tandy / Radio Shack, but as all the Tandys have closed down in the UK (apparently), then it would be something like Maplins etc...

Spray the stuff into the cannister and quickly put the lid on. The ambient air temperature heats up the liquid until it expands with sufficient force to launch the rocket.

Beware - these babies go much further than the AS rockets.
I have a problem with that method. When you do it with alka Seltzer, and water I can't get away fast enough to avoid the spray, so a dangerous liquid would not be a good idea.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Nov 13, 2007 10:38PM)
[quote]
On 2007-09-13 11:42, photius wrote:
Knew this guy in college (late 60's early 70's) who was always wanting to find some way to get a cheap high. So one night we were all hanging together and this guy with a reputation for getting high told him, cover 6 alkaseltzer with peanut butter, swallow them whole, then chug a beer. Wonder how high that launched him? I heard a rumor he not only tried it but was stupid enough to tell people he did.
[/quote]

That is not in the spirit if the bible . . . if I may say.
I think that Father Photius is a much better priest because of the naughty things that he did back in college 45 years ago.
If you visit the Huntsville Space and Rocket Museum, NASA is still using the Alka-Seltzer and 35mm film container to make kids rockets. Some things are just too Classic to ever go away. :)

(and let him who is without sin cast the fir..OWW! OWW! OWW! NOW CUT THAT OUT!)
Alka seltzer rocket rock. I work as science communication and as part of my job went in to a youth affender prison to run a work shop. I introduced my self then did the rocket those things were a hit every one got involed.

Yeah you can do bigger nd better things but these work as it is somthing any one can get and do.
The drug store near my house doesn't sell 35mm film any more. I'm afraid that this trick will die soon.

I went to 12 years of Catholic school, and Father Photius is the coolest priest that I have ever met.
Sorry folks, after reading this thread, I have to jump in here with my suggestion for ignoring the cannister rocket and jumping right into making a good old fashioned potato gun....just google it....not a magic trick but stuns just the same. Look at it as your closer for a picnic or other outdoor venue..... Trust me, they work and you can make one for under twenty dollars worth of PVC pipe, some adhesives, a camping lantern flint lighter and some colorful paint.....five pounds of good old Idaho bakers and a can of hair spray will please the kids (and parents) for a good half hour! I've watched 70-year old men and 10 year old kids giggle till silly with this thing....but a word of caution, build it per specs and check with your local authorities before firing one. But if you want the kid in you to come back, make one of these and have fun with it!!!! Bob
Hey Bob1Dog
How about those pumpkin launching competitions that they have in southern Delaware in October.
Yeah Al, Punkin' Chunkin' !! It made national TV a year or so back, but I've never been to one. It's pretty big sport though; some folks spend a fortune in time and money on their machines to launch a pumpkin farther than any pumpkin has ever gone before. Just like an NFL game, I'd rather watch it on TV rather than fight the crowds. Bob
If you want canisters for seltzer rockets, here is a good website: http://www.teachersource.com/Energy/EnergyConversion/RocketFilmCanisters.aspx

I do a whole chemistry magic show for my class, with the releasing of a genii from a bottle, ping pong poppers, hydrogen balloon bombs, a methanol flame in a bottle that looks really cool in a dark room, to a puking pumpkin to a self carving pumpkin where the face blows out revealing eyes, nose and mouth. Pretty cool overall....

If want to know details, let me know. I also have an extensive thing that I do with the rockets for my class, big lab. If you are interested in that sort of thing as well, please let me know.

Mike
Mike, I wish I had a chemistry teacher like you in 1963 when I flunked my first semester of H.S. chemistry and took earth science instead (which turned out to be a pretty cool course)....bob
[quote]
On 2010-07-03 16:25, Al Angello wrote:
The drug store near my house doesn't sell 35mm film any more. I'm afraid that this trick will die soon.

I went to 12 years of Catholic school, and Father Photius is the coolest priest that I have ever met.
[/quote]

don't painc these work just cut the hingen on the lid.
http://www.sugarstand.com/sc/sc0041-m-m-mini-tubes.htm
Years ago, when Coca Cola was bottled in one liter glass with an aluminum, screw on cap, my brother and I would put a couple of ounces of hot water into an empty bottle, drop in a chunk of dry ice and screw on the top - then take cover! After several moments, the top would shoot off into the sky with a 20 foot trail of water behind it. This sounded like a shot gun when the cap's threads finally gave way.

The experiment was a bit dangerous, but not because of the bottle. As a matter of course, these were drop tested, fully filled from 10 feet over a concrete block.

Ah, to be young and foolish... Two words that inevitably go together.