(Close Window)
Topic: Uh Oh...Wrong language
What tricks would you perform for an audience who did not speak the same language as you?
Sam the Bellhop
[quote]
On 2007-08-29 03:45, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Sam the Bellhop
[/quote]

That would be My choice too! LOL! But!

Magic doesn't always need a lot of talk for people to understand it. Example sponge balls. Look at spectator hold out your hand palm up and motion to them todo the same place ball(s) into there hand gently start to close there hand for them and they will understand what there todo. It's not hard to perform for non english speaking people. You more then likely will find much of what you do will work and only a few things won't work well.

If your doing illusions then you really don't have much of a problem at all really. They can see what is happeneing and don't really need the abillity to understand what you are saying. True it can help for them to understand quicker if they do but it is not necessary that they understand english.
On a less flippant note, sponge balls for sure. Maybe a copper/silver/brass, matrix, coins across, ambitious card...

To look at it as a big picture philosophical question, as opposed to "What's a good list of tricks?" I'd consider it this way - you've lost the ability to VERBALLY ascribe meaning to the magic; how can this be compensated for? The best answer to this is probably that you need highly visual effects; effect that, put simply, don't NEED the verbal (mental) explanation - they speak for themselves. I'd also look for effects that occur in the spectator's hand, at least partially (even the amibitious card, if you do a finale where they cut the deck and turn over the last card).

This is also a valuable lesson for people (like me) who are occasionally guilty of excessive patter. Keep it simple, direct, & visual. If you really do that, I strongly suspect you'll find that the lack of a common language is less hindering that you would have thought. I'm reminded of the early Magic Castle visits of Shoot Ogawa, when his English was much more limited. Believe me, NOBODY cared.
Sam the bellhop!! I hope that was sarcasm! Its a story trick!

Do things that are very very visual and things you can mime to get the todo like sponges...mime them closing there hand into a fist and turning it around...ambit card...wow...ect ect!

M:C
Sponge balls or anything visual where they know whats happening without you having to talk. Greed is one of my favorite tricks along with 3 fly
Ones they can follow. I suggest you do your patter anyway. The reason for this is, if you did your job and learned things to a script, you have a certain rhythm built into your presentation. Good luck.
[quote]
On 2007-11-12 00:38, MagicSanta wrote:
Ones they can follow. I suggest you do your patter anyway. The reason for this is, if you did your job and learned things to a script, you have a certain rhythm built into your presentation. Good luck.
[/quote]

Excellent advice!
[quote]
On 2007-08-29 19:32, Matt Colman wrote:
[/quote]

It's called a Joke, it's what funny people do.

Fauna Josh
Well that wasn't very funny.

Josh Matt Cowman
I admit I chuckled.
Do you have your license to be amused? You can't laugh or chuckle, giggle, or smile with out one here.

Failure to show license after being amused is three weeks punishment with Jolly Roger.
You only need a provisional to chuckle.
GRRRR! You've been working on twanging those braces Mr fancy pants new age scientolgist lawyer! I want my money back corona! I was innocent! I did not mean to kill the rabbits!
The Kale was POISONED!

Fauna
But by who?
Lol Sam the Bellhop. Thanks for the laugh.
[quote]
On 2007-11-12 09:01, Fauna Gob wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-08-29 19:32, Matt Colman wrote:
[/quote]

It's called a Joke, it's what funny people do.

Fauna Josh
[/quote]

Then you are not qualified. Put the joke down and step away from the keyboard.

What you want to do is a vanished and reversed spelling trick.
Possibly a book test.
Mind reading.
The list is endless and would take years to type it all out.... so buckle in, I'm gonna blow your mind.

Oh, South Park is on. Bye..