(Close Window)
Topic: My Shadow Coins
Hi friends,

my tech folks finally got some video from Beyond Belief up on the web. I'd love to hear your comments on my Shadow Coin routine. Beyond Belief will be coming back to NC next year, then I may tour with it. So I will be spending the fall improving and preparing. I'd appreciate feedback.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jbEKkgDzIiM

Thanks,
Hi Joshua..

That's very well done... nice presentation setting as well...

I like it very much

well done

Andre
I thought it looked very good! Maybe it's just me, but I had to watch it a few times to get the full effect of everything. I would suggest slowing it down just a tad. Other than that I thought everything went well including your presentation techniques.....
Looked great.....

Shouldn't this be in "You oughta be in Pictures" forum?
A lot of us don't go to that part of the forum, so a lot of the coin guys post their performances here. I prefer it that way.

Since it's coin related, why not post here?
Very nice! I think that if you had finished with a backfire you would have killed.

Excellent routine. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Cheers! ;)
You know, I've never done a backfire, but I like the idea. The original routine began with the flash production, then a couple of phases of Translocation, then going into Shadow Coins, but the director and I pulled part of it a few nights before opening night because it wasn't looking as pretty as the Shadow Coin part. I'm bringing the show back next year, and hope to have the routine a bit longer by then. Its brevity was the only thing I wasn't too happy with. Just a tad too short.

Thanks for the comments. By the way, you can see the mind-connection card presentation that got me the gig at the World's Fair in Japan here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vtrwy3yZKU8
Very Nice!
I watched all four of your videos. You've got some great presentations. I hope you'll post more.
Joshua,
Nice job.

~John
Enjoyed it man! Checked out all 4 as well and they were cool and your character on Cheers was one of my favorites since I had a buddy from the Bronx with the same tude! LOL
Hey Joshua

Very beautiful and well paced! Its nice to see something that is not rushed. I loved the laugh you got when they first realized that magic had happened.
Hey, I don't do shadow coins, but I always thought it was called shadow coins because it never looked like your hands touched the coins or the mat. Up on the screen it looked okay, but if you see it done that slow and then you look at the performer and see his hands touching the mat, doesn't it become obvious that he's just sliding coins around? Just my opinion, let me know what you think.

Pete
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, the laugh was interesting. It's hard to tell from the video, but if I recall it correctly, after the first vanish, there was a gasp from the audience, and I made a little reaction. I think that's what got the laugh.

Pete, that's certainly a good question. The positioning of the hand is the main distinction between Roth's Chink-a-Chink and Shadow Coins (in addition to a difference in method). It may be hard to tell from that angle. I believe my hands did appear to float over the table for the most part. Also, sliding the coins around would require a 5th coin, and hopefully folks can see before and after that there really are only four. I have found that the time taken to show clearly that there really are only 4 is worth it, because then the audience has an inner dialog with themselves, reminding themselves that any ideas they are coming up with in their minds couldn't be, because they know there are only four.

But yes, I do believe that having the hands appear to float over the table is preferable. Also Pete, I just spoke to Michael Creech today, who had very good things to say about speaking with you. I hope to meet up with you sometime soon.

Mickey, glad you liked the Cheers stuff. It feels like a lifetime ago. I had a great time in LA, but I'm a much more content and artistically satisfied magician than I ever was as an actor!
Excellent Joshua, I look forward to meeting up with you as well. I've seen you at some lectures and such, but nothing serious. You have very clean shows that there are only 4 coins, but those are at the beginning and end, I can do those same shows with a 5th coin if I'm sitting at a table as well. Once the magic starts you never show your hands anymore, they stay palm down to the table until all 4 arrange in the corner. So there is that little suspicion they have. I think that's why it looks a little better if done quicker. THen you're just waving and coins are jumping around, but when you're done you show everything empty and they have no clue. If you go slowly it gives them time to hypothesize.

That was the first time I met Michael Creech, it was fun watching him work for an hour, unfortunate he left before I really got to performing.

Pete
Very beautiful