(Close Window)
Topic: Getting Busted by a spec- your reactions ?
I was at the restaurant last night performing at a table and I was wowing them real good especially the mom at the table . I was finishing up doing my version of Nate Kranzo's Voodoo Card. Quick summarry of the effect is : Spec picks and signs a card , card is "lost" , The spec sign a business card as the deck is placed in the card box . the business card is folded , the card box is opened, and Voila' the spec signed card is folded in the middle of the deck.) Right as I do the Mecury fold , my hand bumped the table ( those high bar tables) and the mom focus right on my hands right in the middle of the fold. I continue on with the trick but as I do the final reveal she mouthes to me: "I saw the card" and I gave her a conspiritorial wink. I was performing the effect for the father who pulled the cards out of the card box who was agahst. About 5 seconds later, she semi-quietly says to the husband "I will tell you later". Ugh I hate getting busted especially when you have been wowing them.
BTW not looking for advice for I know what I did wrong, just venting. Anyone else have a simialr experience.
It happens and my guess is you didn't really do anything wrong. Life happens and when it does venting helps.

Blow it off. I know it dosn't happen regularly to you so like you said "venting" really is the cure!
This is the best place to vent.
I've been busted a couple of times when doing the mercury card fold, so I don't use it anymore.
[quote]
On 2007-09-10 12:26, Josh Chaikin wrote:
I've been busted a couple of times when doing the mercury card fold, so I don't use it anymore.
[/quote]

Sounds like flight rather than fight.

Don't quit doing things you get busted on...learn to do them better!

FWIW

Cheers! ;)
Wow someone lock the thread. THAT was brilliant. Pure brilliant. FIGHT. Indeed I could not have said it better.
I've been busted quite a few times.
Sometimes I would make a joke of it or ignore it and move on.
Sometimes I just had to admit I was busted and go to the next trick.
It hurts your pride somewhat but you have to shake that off and hopefully learn from it.

There are some good lines here that I wish I knew back then.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=82472&forum=106&37

In you case you did your job and for a while the husband was in awe.
Hiya, Paymerich:

[Imagine my response in a treacly, Clinton-esque drawl] "Ah feel your pain..."

Yeah, getting nailed, especially on a pet routine, stinks. Everybody here knows what it feels like, and I'll throw my $0.02 on the table: The Invisible Deck got me into Card Magic, and gave me a lot of performing fun. Until, like you, I got NAILED BAD on the method at a strolling gig. Unlike you, the observer wasn't a quiet, albeit smug, adult; my denouncer was a SEVEN YEAR OLD KID with a BIG MOUTH who BROADCAST the method to everyone within earshot. I.e., the whole da*n dining room. :)

Others have already said it better: Blow this one off, then come back later...nail-proof.

Leland
I did 5hours close-up marathon gig on last saturday and only time I got busted on whole day was once in my AC routine. I was just getting tired and double split little and spectator noted about it so I continued the routine without doubles and fryed him totally. Sometimes its good to know alternative methods if something unexpected happens.

J-M
You didn't get busted. The gal saw the card and became your magic buddy for a few seconds. Busted is when she leaps to her feet and yells "I saw that card! You, sir, are a cheat and do NOT do real magic!". Things go wrong for every magician who ever walked the planet so don't let it bother you, move on.
Being a comedy persona, when I slip or get caught flat out red-handed with no viable way out I usually just smile, shrug and ask "What did you expect? Magic?!?" :) Of course, by then, the spell is broken and it's time to move on. As the masters have already sagely stated...practice till it's second nature then practice some more...and when the inevitable happens every now and then, take yer lumps, figger out how to avoid that particular bump in the future and rock on!!
Hey Skip!!!! Great to see ya again. I didn't know this but judging by your avatar, you're like 5 foot 40. :goof:

Basically, getting caught happens from time to time. It happens to the best of us. As mentioned above, the very best thing to do is just smile and move on. The more you dwell on it the worst it gets. If you just smile and move on, the audience will soon forget the blunder and will continue concentrating on the great stuff you are currently doing. :)
[quote]
On 2007-09-10 12:30, Stanyon wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

FWIW

Cheers! ;)

[/quote]

Mmmm...maybe I should elaborate on that. I've found that I got busted because of how the spectators were seated, and my positioning to them. Even if I dropped the deck low, it would still be almost on eye-level to them for the move. If we're both standing, I can execute it without getting caught. If the settings are right for the effect I want to achieve using MCF, I will go for it; however, I have many other things in my repertoire that things are being rotated around all the time.
I did not let it faze me too much as I did the same trick at another table just to prove to myself it was a fluke. And I proved myself right. THey had lots of fun regardless of the flub and talked about coming back next week to see me again.

So yes , let the steam blow and get back to rehearsing ( notice I did not say practice).

and yes MagicSanta it could have been worse. So I counted my blessing.
Messing up just makes you aware of possible dangers, flaws, cracks or weaknesses in your act or routine. Now when you perform the effect again it will be that much stronger.
When learning an effect the learning process never stops. No matter how well you think you have something down there are always little hairline cracks that pop up now and then.
The only way to find these cracks is to shed some light on them and that usually means an unexpected miss hap during a performance which makes you aware of them.

If you never fail you never improve. The only way to improve is to fail, learn from that failure , correct the failure and move on. Failing simply means you are about to improve or get even better then you were before the failure. If you strive for perfection you learn how valuable failure is to achieving it.

, Jonathan
I had one the other day, Very outspoken lady who obviously has some ACR vids. Probably E's...
Anyway she is verbally busting every move as I go to execute. After about 3 moves of this I switched to something she would have never seen, and blew her away. Her hubby said she had it coming....
Heck, when I saw Worlds Greatest Magicians live one of 'em was doing a guillotine (sp) and the thing did everything wrong. The top part jammed then the lower part released and the cut happened without the blade falling and this was in front of a packed house. To be honest I doubt anyone really noticed (Melinda was on stage in one of her cute outfits). When I spoke with her later I brought it up and she wasn't even aware of it. Kind of explains why that tour was a bust now that I think of it.
[quote]
On 2007-09-10 14:26, Josh Chaikin wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-09-10 12:30, Stanyon wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

FWIW

Cheers! ;)

[/quote]

Mmmm...maybe I should elaborate on that. I've found that I got busted because of how the spectators were seated, and my positioning to them. Even if I dropped the deck low, it would still be almost on eye-level to them for the move. If we're both standing, I can execute it without getting caught. If the settings are right for the effect I want to achieve using MCF, I will go for it; however, I have many other things in my repertoire that things are being rotated around all the time.
[/quote]

The MCF takes less than a second to accomplish and for that reason it is easy to misdirect. Are you using misdirection? If you were using misdirection you wouldn't need to worry about angle problems. I'm curious as to how you perform the Mercury Fold. I never thought there were angle problems myself.
Once you become proficient at it the MCF can be done without misdirection. But there should be a significant time delay between the actual folding of the card and the reveal. Until you get comfortable with the MF technique I would use misdirection to help you.

, Jonathan
I'm not really sure. I've practiced in front of the mirror, a lot of times it gets by people, but those few times I mentioned they ask "Where'd you put the folded card?" As far as I'm aware, I'm using the standard method, at least others do it the same way I do (from the bottom of the deck).
[quote]
On 2007-09-13 00:54, Josh Chaikin wrote:
I'm not really sure. I've practiced in front of the mirror, a lot of times it gets by people, but those few times I mentioned they ask "Where'd you put the folded card?" As far as I'm aware, I'm using the standard method, at least others do it the same way I do (from the bottom of the deck).
[/quote]

"Where'd you put the folded card?" when do they say that and I don't get what it means?
[quote]"Where'd you put the folded card?" [/quote]

I get this at times as well. I just smile and think to myself, "this person probably takes an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes." ;)
[quote]
On 2007-09-13 02:39, SoCalPro wrote:

I get this at times as well. I just smile and think to myself, "this person probably takes an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes." ;)

[/quote]

What is it supposed to mean? I don't understand. You have people say this as well? Do they say this when you fold the card, when you reveal the card? Please explain.
Best to take it with a grain of salt...maybe add a little humor poking at yourself, You can point out that luck for her this wasn't brain surgry...Even the best mess up...nobody's perfect...don't let it get you down or bother you. Pick up, dust off and move on...
[quote]
On 2007-09-13 03:11, kammagic wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

What is it supposed to mean? I don't understand. You have people say this as well? Do they say this when you fold the card, when you reveal the card? Please explain.
[/quote]

"What's that supposed to mean?" I do "Clipped" and I do the fold very well...right in front of them and lightning fast. I've been doing it for the past 4 years and have only been caught a few times. When a person says something like that, I think that maybe they can't comprehend the awesome thing that just happened, they just don't get it. I do this trick for 5 and 6 year old and get a great reaction so when an older person reacts that way....well........ :)

They usually ask this right after I reveal that their signed card has been in front of them the whole time.

Did I clarify?
[quote]
On 2007-09-13 10:40, SoCalPro wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-09-13 03:11, kammagic wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

"What's that supposed to mean?" I do "Clipped" and I do the fold very well...right in front of them and lightning fast. I've been doing it for the past 4 years and have only been caught a few times. When a person says something like that, I think that maybe they can't comprehend the awesome thing that just happened, they just don't get it. I do this trick for 5 and 6 year old and get a great reaction so when an older person reacts that way....well........ :)

They usually ask this right after I reveal that their signed card has been in front of them the whole time.

Did I clarify?

[/quote]

So they are catching something on the switch and not the fold right? Is this "paperclipped" where the folded card is in view the whole time then it is switched. So when they say "Where'd you put the folded card?" are they refering to the card you switched out or are they wanting to know how you hid their card the whole time.
What I am getting at is the phrase is not very specific so I don't think they are catching anything.

I am not a big fan of showing a folded card ahead of time and then having to switch that card out. I do many folded card reveals but the audience is not aware of a folded card or looking for you to fold a card until the final reveal. This I think makes a big difference in the audience seeing anything. If you have an isolated folded card that is visible the audience knows that that is going to be their card. So they are now watching for the switch and for you to fold their selected card. This is not a good situation. Sure it can be pulled off but why put the added heat on yourself. Plus you are loosing some of the surprise of the reveal. If they see the folded card ahead of time they are expecting that to be their card. Spectators are also surprised that you would destroy one of your cards by folding it up. If you show a folded up card to begin with you show them you do not have a problem destroying cards thus eliminating another part of the surprise of finding their card folded up somewhere.

Just somethings to think about if you want to eliminate spectators from busting you.
Yes, it's "paperclipped".

So what you are saying is to pull the clip out of my pocket just before reveling it to be their card? Interesting, I'll have to try it that way and see the reactions. Thanks for the tip (there's that word again ;)).
[quote]
On 2007-09-13 16:33, SoCalPro wrote:
Yes, it's "paperclipped".

So what you are saying is to pull the clip out of my pocket just before reveling it to be their card? Interesting, I'll have to try it that way and see the reactions. Thanks for the tip (there's that word again ;)).
[/quote]

I was thinking more along the lines of card under watch or card to box where the folded card is a secret until the final reveal. Paperclipped is fine but if you are having problems with people seeing things it could very well be the effect itself that is making them look for those things.

I think a simple adjustment would be to try paperclipped with the card folded and clipped hiding inside the card box until the reveal. This way it is on the table the whole time but they are unaware. Plus they won't be expecting it to show up there and they won't be looking for you to fold the card.
Cough:TOIBOX:cough

Problem solved ;)
LOL
Getting caught is part of the porcess. Go over it later and think how it happened and can it be avoided next time. We're all stil learning. Me after 40 years!
[quote]
On 2007-09-13 18:42, Bobby Forbes wrote:

Problem solved ;)
[/quote]

What is a TOIBOX?
[quote]
On 2007-09-14 02:01, SoCalPro wrote:
[quote]

Problem solved ;)
[/quote]

What is a TOIBOX?
[/quote]

http://web.mac.com/jonathankamm/iWeb/ToiBox/Welcome.html
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Sep 16, 2007 06:12AM)
[quote]
On 2007-09-10 10:33, paymerich wrote:
I was at the restaurant last night performing at a table and I was wowing them real good especially the mom at the table . I was finishing up doing my version of Nate Kranzo's Voodoo Card. Quick summarry of the effect is : Spec picks and signs a card , card is "lost" , The spec sign a business card as the deck is placed in the card box . the business card is folded , the card box is opened, and Voila' the spec signed card is folded in the middle of the deck.) Right as I do the Mecury fold , my hand bumped the table ( those high bar tables) and the mom focus right on my hands right in the middle of the fold. I continue on with the trick but as I do the final reveal she mouthes to me: "I saw the card" and I gave her a conspiritorial wink. I was performing the effect for the father who pulled the cards out of the card box who was agahst. About 5 seconds later, she semi-quietly says to the husband "I will tell you later". Ugh I hate getting busted especially when you have been wowing them.
BTW not looking for advice for I know what I did wrong, just venting. Anyone else have a simialr experience.
[/quote]

Yes, I had a number of busts throughout the year. Each one of them made me a better magician
Some people see a "flash" and think they have the whole trick figured out...I don't think you are ever safe from the heckler, or know it all.....
[quote]
On 2007-09-15 18:02, Bobby Forbes wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

Problem solved ;)
[/quote]

What is a TOIBOX?
[/quote]

[/quote]

why wont the "order worldwide" link work??
[quote]
On 2007-09-16 09:23, matt.magicman wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-09-15 18:02, Bobby Forbes wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

Problem solved ;)
[/quote]

What is a TOIBOX?
[/quote]

[/quote]

why wont the "order worldwide" link work??

[/quote]

None of the links work. The book has been sold out for quite a while. Everything is on hold until the DVD is released hopefully by the end of the year.

, Jonathan
I agree with the many people that have posted. Getting busted = incentive for more practice

SH
I know this is off the subject and I have talked with Kam via PM about this but what are the differences between TOIBOX and Kennedy's mystery box? Aside from TOIBOX being more "pocket friendly"

I currently perform Paperclipped and Johny Ace Palmer's Card in shoe(which in my opinion is the most powerfull folded card to impossible location but not for restaurants, just strolling cocktail etc.) and I have NEVER been caught on the fold. Not saying this to tute my own horn but I have structured the routines in such a way that the moments leading up to the fold are "relaxed". What I mean is that something amazing has happened prior to the fold so everyone thinks I am done. You should be smooth enough at the fold to do it quickly under fire(I think you need to go through at least 10 - 15 decks folding each card to get somewhat comfortable with the action, then touch up on it every now and then if you are not performing regularly) but it really should be done when they aren't looking....
You really should all be ashamed of your self. I talked to Ice Mcdonald this past friday night. I talked to him about this post. WOW really it is hard to put into words what he said. but when you get busted you are doing what he calls Magical Treason.You are giving away what we do. Instead of saying well it is ok everyone does it. You should practice more. You are a magician act like. Merlin did not get busted doing magic so why should we. I am sorry to say it this hard but when I heared him say that I loved it. I bust my butt so I do not get caught and everyone is saying it is ok. Tell me what the difference is between you getting busted on a effect and the masked magician. NOTHING. Sorry but those are my thoughts.
[quote]
On 2007-09-22 14:48, Hart Keene wrote:
I know this is off the subject and I have talked with Kam via PM about this but what are the differences between TOIBOX and Kennedy's mystery box? Aside from TOIBOX being more "pocket friendly"
[/quote]
Toibox is just an ordinary mint tin you buy at the store but I teach you how to use it in extraordinary ways.

The Kennedy Box is a great prop but it does have it's draw backs.
1. Too big
2. Looks like a magic prop
3. It's gimmicked
4. It can be looked at but not thoroughly examined
5. Specatator can not remove the card from the box
6. When the lid is removed you now have 2 props to deal with.
7. It costs $80!
8. It can't be used impromptu with any deck of cards.
9. Not the best for stand up surrounded work. Having a table works best.
10. Can't be done without a mercury or secret card fold.

Toibox solves these issues.
If you're trying to "fool" your audience, they'll try to bust you. And it'll always wind up badly. What you're doing is saying "Look at me, I'm smarter than you. You jerk." Of course they're going to challenge you.

On the other hand, if you're trying to "show them a good time", they'll do whatever it takes to enjoy themselves. That means they're on your side. They don't want to figure you out. They want you to win.

Of course, there will always be the occasional heckler. What I'll sometimes do is use their own words and actions to tool them out. If the spectator says "I know how that's done", you reply "Wow man. You're so smart. I wish I could be you."

I once had a condescending guy ask me "Do you really expect to get laid doing this?" My reply was "Wow dude. Are you like, a player? That's so awesome. Here. Show me how to get a girl. You're a superstar. I want to learn from you." He shut up pretty fast.

Of course, this is a hostile tactic. Use it selectively and don't blame me if you lose your gig or get beat up. (And of course, don't use this on kids.)

If you rehearse well and focus on making people happy. You really shouldn't run into too many of these.
This thread reminds me of a recent visit to the Castle. It was an early Wednesday evening and the close up room was virtually empty. I was there to see a VERY well known and well respected performer. Since I rarely wear my pin when I'm there, I was chosen to be an assistant and was seated at the table beside the performer. I sat for twenty minutes and could not believe my eyes as he flashed virtually every effect he performed. I saw double lifts so bad, it looked like he was holding a pinky break between them! I did my very best to go along with the show and never ever let on, to ANYONE what I saw. I left actually feeling grateful that it was only ME sitting there and not some neophyte whos heart would have surely been broken.
Now this performer plays the castle on a very frequent basis...should I have said something to this performer? How would some of you have handled it?
[quote]
On 2007-09-25 14:39, magicbusiness wrote:
Of course, there will always be the occasional heckler. What I'll sometimes do is use their own words and actions to tool them out. If the spectator says "I know how that's done", you reply "Wow man. You're so smart. I wish I could be you."

I once had a condescending guy ask me "Do you really expect to get laid doing this?" My reply was "Wow dude. Are you like, a player? That's so awesome. Here. Show me how to get a girl. You're a superstar. I want to learn from you." He shut up pretty fast.

[/quote]

As he said please don't follow this advice, I would imagine he doesn't work much...LOL
[quote]
On 2007-09-24 16:57, Magicmatt1982 wrote:
You really should all be ashamed of your self. I talked to Ice Mcdonald this past friday night. I talked to him about this post. WOW really it is hard to put into words what he said. but when you get busted you are doing what he calls Magical Treason.You are giving away what we do. Instead of saying well it is ok everyone does it. You should practice more. You are a magician act like. Merlin did not get busted doing magic so why should we. I am sorry to say it this hard but when I heared him say that I loved it. I bust my butt so I do not get caught and everyone is saying it is ok. Tell me what the difference is between you getting busted on a effect and the masked magician. NOTHING. Sorry but those are my thoughts.
[/quote]

Jeez, get a load of you!

We are only human, and everyone makes mistakes. There are NO exceptions to that rule! Maybe you have or maybe you haven't, but keep on performing long enough and you WILL. That won't make you a bad magician.

The difference between getting busted on an effect and the masked magician is that one is an accident, the other is mass exposure for profit.

Cheers,
David
[quote]
[/quote]

Jeez, get a load of you!

We are only human, and everyone makes mistakes. There are NO exceptions to that rule! Maybe you have or maybe you haven't, but keep on performing long enough and you WILL. That won't make you a bad magician.

The difference between getting busted on an effect and the masked magician is that one is an accident, the other is mass exposure for profit.

Cheers,
David
I use the top change on some effects I do. Recently I got caught and was surprised since this rarely happened. On my next paid performance I got caught again and was totally ****ed at myself. After much reflection, I got complacent about the move since I have been performing it for so long. I took them out of my shows and restuctered the routines and now I am back to performing them successfully. AI now periodically rehearse with this experience in mind.
Thanks - Izzy
[quote]
[/quote]

Ashamed of yourself?
Merlin didn't get busted?
Magical treason?
No difference between getting busted on a effect and the masked magician?
Sorry but those are my thoughts?

Sorry is right.
Matt,
On a side note, your web page is really hard (on the eyes) to read. If we have a hard time seeing it, so will your clients. Not a put down or dig, just an observation.

JIM
Matt, I have sensitive eyes and your site does not bother me.
But this sounds a bit harsh.
[quote]
[/quote]

I agree getting busted is bad. I try to watch my angles. If the angles are bad, I do not do the trick, I will do some thing else. But nobody is perfect. Sometimes people get busted and the spectators do not say anything. Kids will try to bust you, they will crawl under a table to get a better view. You just have to learn from each experience. Getting busted once, happens. Getting busted twice is bad, but not treason. Continuously getting busted is bad for the rest of us. But that is the way it goes. We just have to be sharp and better than that. My 2 cents.
[quote]
[/quote]

Matt, I looked at your promo video and it looks like you are mostly a comedy magician. There wasn't any "technically demanding" stuff that I saw on the video. Do you do any stuff in your act that is considered technically demanding? The reason I ask is that when you do a fair amount of "knuckle busting" stuff, especially close-up, there is more of a chance of having a technical difficulty so to speak. Especially when you enter a group as an outsider, you are on "their" turf. When people come up on stage they are for the most part well behaved because they are on your turf and you control the situation.

My stand up act is bulletproof. It is far from self-working but not as hardcore as some of my close-up material. Your comment makes me wonder if you have worked a lot of strolling venues. Getting caught every now and then is part of the journey. It makes you a better magician.

So do you do much strolling close-up or just stand up stuff? Care to share some of what you consider your harder material? I use a lot of comedy in my magic but I wouldn't consider myself a comedy magician. Not sure how comedy magicians doing fairly easy material should ever get "caught".
One more thing Matt. If you are doing stand-up or stage stuff as a comedy magician, how would you know if you got caught? Maybe they are applauding because you are funny...Do you really think the guy/gal on stage is going to call you out in front of all those people? I think not, most of them are scared to death to be up there in the first place...

For many people the fear of public speaking is greater than death itself...
Ok fine pick on the one person who is right that is fine. Ok my web site is just fine (fix ur eyes) I get booked more from my web site then anything else I do. I do a platform act yes and that is what my promo video is. My main money is from close up work. I do private parties,resturants,and tons of walk around. I can do all of the nuckle busting crap but here is the thing most of that is for me and I do not know if you know this or not but I am hired to perform not to showoff. If you get busted a lot doing nuckles busting stuff then PRACTICE.That is all I am saying. I do not perform a effect unless I am very smooth with it. I have a dvd coming out nov 1 from magic makers inc with a lot of my close up work on it. So there you go you want to pick on someone for being right then fine. but unlike some here I do not spend all of my time on the Café and make money in magic. So there you go .
Just popped over and took a look at your website, Matthew. It gets the point across very nicely, you should probably consider grammar/spell checking the text, though.
[quote]
On 2007-09-28 13:15, Magicmatt1982 wrote:
Ok fine pick on the one person who is right that is fine. Ok my web site is just fine (fix ur eyes) I get booked more from my web site then anything else I do. I do a platform act yes and that is what my promo video is. My main money is from close up work. I do private parties,resturants,and tons of walk around. I can do all of the nuckle busting crap but here is the thing most of that is for me and I do not know if you know this or not but I am hired to perform not to showoff. If you get busted a lot doing nuckles busting stuff then PRACTICE.That is all I am saying. I do not perform a effect unless I am very smooth with it. I have a dvd coming out nov 1 from magic makers inc with a lot of my close up work on it. So there you go you want to pick on someone for being right then fine. but unlike some here I do not spend all of my time on the Café and make money in magic. So there you go .
[/quote]

Matt,

From one working pro to another. I am sure you are very good. But nobody performs flawlessly night after night. Everyone makes mistakes. If you are saying you don't. Give me a break. You are probably not this cocky and arrogant in person but you sure are appearing that way here. Cockiness is an unappealing quality in a magician or anyones personality. If you are such a perfectionist you may want to work on that little flaw.

, Jonathan
[quote]On 2007-09-25 17:24, Slappy wrote:
Now this performer plays the castle on a very frequent basis...should I have said something to this performer? How would some of you have handled it?[/quote]
I watched a junior at the Castle who was doing a routine with the four aces. In his Elmsley he showed black-ace-with-a-small-pip, red ace, red ace, black-ace-with-a-small-pip. After the show I told him that he did a good job - it was a good show in general - but that for the Elmsley with aces he needed to show a duplicate red ace: people will notice either [b][i]two[/i][/b] aces-of-spades or [b][i]zero[/i][/b] aces-of-spades; they're that distinctive. His response: [i]I showed you all four aces![/i].

So, no, you probably shouldn't have said anything. It's likely it wouldn't have been well-received.
I am not saying I am pefect you are taking me wrong. When you are performing either do stuff that works with out a lot of moves or have some great outs. THis is one thing that Ice mcdonald says. Have outs so when things do happen (like getting busted) you have a way out of it so you still look like a magician.
[quote]
On 2007-09-28 13:15, Magicmatt1982 wrote:
[/quote]

I hope you weren't directing your comments at me kind sir. I do work...a lot. I currently perform at two restaurants per week (it used to be four but I love my daytime sales job and it got to be too much when you add in the private stuff) and practice as much as possible on "off" nights which include full video taped rehearsals. I don't do knuckle busting stuff just for the sake of doing it, I do what ever it takes to entertain. Do I make mistakes that often? No, but it does happen from time to time, we are all human. The reason you are getting jumped on here is because you made a very arrogant post and got called out for it.

I consider myself to be a very good technician and have worked hard to get where I'm at. Kamm is also a very good technician(check out some of his videos) and works a ton. He is also saying that he makes mistakes from time to time.

So what material do you do that you would consider somewhat technically demanding and please share how you NEVER make a mistake while performing it. Also, what restaurants do you currently perform at? Names and locations?

Wasn't Merlin REALLY magic?

Posted: Sep 28, 2007 3:11pm
Also, I don't know if I would brag about working with magic makers...
[quote]
On 2007-09-28 14:14, Magicmatt1982 wrote:
I am not saying I am pefect you are taking me wrong. When you are performing either do stuff that works with out a lot of moves or have some great outs. THis is one thing that Ice mcdonald says. Have outs so when things do happen (like getting busted) you have a way out of it so you still look like a magician.
[/quote]

In the original post Pablo bumped his hand on the table and flashed the card he was Mercury Folding. An honest mistake which could happen to anyone.

Your reply was "you should be ashamed of yourself" " Its magical treason" "you should practice more" "you are a magician act like it" " you're no different then the masked magician"

Do you understand how out of line you were with your comments? Take responsibility for what you say. Don't quote other magicians. Ice said this, Ice said that. That shows a lack of confidence in yourself. Your a professional act like one. I'm sure if Ice had known the guy simply bumped his hand on the table he wouldn't of made the comments you quote above and he probably doesn't appreciate you using his quotes incorrectly.

, Jonathan
Look after this I am done with you all. It was not that they guy bumped his hands on the talbe. That ok I will give to yopu people do that all the time. What I was saying was toward what you all were saying. That it is ok and do not let it bug you kind of things. I am a professional and because of that I am not going to waste my time talking to you. I have other things to do. O and by the way I am proud of having a DVD come out from magic maker inc. They are a great company. Gusse what all magic companyies screw up (ickle pickle what ) but people still buy from them. So get over it. Any ways good by.
If this persona comes out in your performance I'm sure that even if you did flash or make any other mistake, your spec's would be afraid to call you on it! Lighten up man, life's to short!
Mick
Matt, you are acting incredibly childish... Your opinion is not the be all and end all simply because it's 'your' opinion. That's arrogance, a characteristic that NOBODY likes in a personality. Just because you disagree with some people in this thread, does not mean you have to insult people in a little temper tantrum.

Other people are entitled to their own opinions, and you should respect that. There is a huge difference between deliberately exposing magic, and making mistakes whilst performing the art. You are kidding yourself if you believe you never make mistakes while performing, everyone does. When it happens, like all of the respected members of the magic community have already pointed out, the most important thing to do about it is LEARN from it...

-Dylan
[quote]
On 2007-09-29 18:40, Magicmatt1982 wrote:
Look after this I am done with you all. It was not that they guy bumped his hands on the talbe. That ok I will give to yopu people do that all the time. What I was saying was toward what you all were saying. That it is ok and do not let it bug you kind of things. I am a professional and because of that I am not going to waste my time talking to you. I have other things to do. O and by the way I am proud of having a DVD come out from magic maker inc. They are a great company. Gusse what all magic companyies screw up (ickle pickle what ) but people still buy from them. So get over it. Any ways good by.
[/quote]

Get a load of this guy!!!!! He comes on here talking about "magical treason" and "you should all be ashamed of yourselves". He talks about exposure and the mask magician...

THEN HE SAYS THAT HE HAS A DVD COMING OUT WITH MAGIC MAKERS!!!!!!!! THE BIGGEST THIEVES IN THE BUSINESS!!!!

ARE YOU SERIOUS MATT!!!!

I truly hope you are done with all of us.....Wishfull thinking? I hope not...

Grow up hipocrite...

I beg of all of you NOT TO PURCHASE HIS DVD FROM THIEVES. THAT WOULD BE MAGICAL TREASON!!!

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 8:39pm
SO GET A LOAD OF THIS!!!

I was over on the dvd forums and was reading the review of Ben Salinas "the reserve", a Magic Makers release. I scrolled down and low and behold a quote on the dvd from Magimatt1982!!!! Here it is:

On June 19, 2007 Magicmatt1982 wrote: "I watch this dvd when it came into my families magic shop. It is all a rip off. I have talked to Rob(Stiff) about it but he does not care. So those are my thoughts".

You can check it out yourself!
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=206695&forum=111&21

Can you believe this guy????? He knows that Magic Makers is bad and he is still "releasing" a DVD with them just to get his silly little name out. Talk about Treason!!!! You are a real piece of work Matt and should be ashamed of yourself. I can't believe you have the nerve to come on here and point fingers like you did, unbelievable. What does Ice Mcdonald think of this?
Touche Hart Keene.
The other night my wife and I were at a restaurant with two othe couples. One of them burned the magish's hands (this guy is one of the best restaurant workers ever - years of experience starting with Schulien's and the New York Lounge in Chicago).

One of the guys proceeds to tell the magish how he did the card stab - he was slightly close to it.

Here is what the magish said, VERY calmly and in a friendly way - "don't let anyone else know that you know" This guy repeats himself (!).

What did the magish do? He repeated his line word for word -

and that was that. The conversation went on.

I learned a lot that night about this type of situation (the whole presentation was fabulous btw).
I just want to let everyone of you know that you have taken what I have said why out of context. This is my last post ever on here. THat is all I am saying about that.

Magic Makers. I have talked to rob and things are going well. Rob is not doing busniess like he did. My video is something that I am very proud of. I have credit the right people on it. Every has thee own thoughts about other people. But Rob like everyone else has done bad things. But he has done a great job of cleaning up now. by the way I do not get why every attack Magic Makers but when there are people like steve bender from ickle pickle in st louis it is ok to rip off. anyways. I hope you all the best but I am moving on.
I guess since I started the thread I should respond now. Matt, the biggest problem people are having with your statement is it's sweeping condemnation of anymagician who has any problem occur during the performance of an effect. Of course we should follow magic rule #1 ( or is it #3) to practice, practice, practice. or should it really be rehearse rehearse rehearse? But you can not control everything!
Your statement allude that when ( during a sponge ball routine) the spectator opens his/her hand too soon that is magical treason? When a gust of wind blows over the 4 aces assembled before the final revelation? When a waiter bumps your hand by accident and you dropped a palmed coin? When a 4 year old kid comes over looks directly under your cards, sees them for what they really are and yells it out loud? Should I wear my mask of shame now ? We are human and divinely blessed to err. You can be confident without being arrogant. But you came across as saying "I never make mistakes and if you do you are hurting magic" . If you can honestly say you have never made a technical mistake ( whether someone called you on it or not) ,then sign up for FISM. You feel so deeply what you said was right and it would be right if 2 things were true 1) one we are all robots expected to be perfect an 2) if Magic really meant a darn in the grand scheme of life.
I hold no ill will to you Matt, heck I even may buy your DVD, but don't judge your fellow magi in such a broad stroke.
[quote]
On 2007-10-04 10:17, Magicmatt1982 wrote:
I just want to let everyone of you know that you have taken what I have said why out of context. This is my last post ever on here. THat is all I am saying about that.

Magic Makers. I have talked to rob and things are going well. Rob is not doing busniess like he did. My video is something that I am very proud of. I have credit the right people on it. Every has thee own thoughts about other people. But Rob like everyone else has done bad things. But he has done a great job of cleaning up now. by the way I do not get why every attack Magic Makers but when there are people like steve bender from ickle pickle in st louis it is ok to rip off. anyways. I hope you all the best but I am moving on.
[/quote]

Uhhh....its not ok ever!

So a few months after your post saying that Magic Makers is a rip off you are now defending them? Could this be because you now have something to gain from them?

I hope you all the best as well...sellout.
I think this is going to be one of those things that no matter what you do or say the opinion of the other side simply does not matter and Matt will only get more defensive if he continues to post. It just isn't worth it to argue about it. Easiest thing to do is not buy the DVD.
[quote]
On 2007-10-04 17:23, sibbie wrote:
I think this is going to be one of those things that no matter what you do or say the opinion of the other side simply does not matter and Matt will only get more defensive if he continues to post. It just isn't worth it to argue about it. Easiest thing to do is not buy the DVD.
[/quote]

You bet I won't be buying it! The point is he is working with thieves...

Thieves that he labeled as thieves a few months ago. He didn't think someone would run into his other post on another thread. That or he forgot he posted it since it was a few months back.
On getting caught.....
When it's happened to me with a kid I just shrug it off and pull out the 'ole Slydini silks to challange the know it all. When it's an adult I readily admit it's just a TRICK and move on.
I was at dinner tonight, and did a coin through table with a coin unique. The $&*#* quarter was upside down. No one noticed. I was sure someone would have noticed as I flipped the half, but no one did. I just kept going as if all were normal.

When I have been caught, it has always been by children. Sometimes adults might see something and not say anything. Children blurt it right out. Tough audience!
I'll give you a worse scenario.

I had a magician break my thread on purpose then walk away!

Want the ame of the rascal...PM me.
Some moves look suspicious (even executed well) and you might get caught. Bill Malone touches on this during his explanation of his 'Keeping the Money Safe!' routine. In a nutshell, he challenges the spectator to try and catch 'the move' as he executes it. If they do catch him, then nothing's lost because it served it's purpose of helping to get to the next <stronger> phase of the routine.

-Jared
[quote]
On 2007-10-04 10:17, Magicmatt1982 wrote:

[/quote]

I don't think you realized that Rob Stiff..IS... Ben Salinas's UNCLE!

Now I KNOW you regret hooking up with them.
Recently when people have said "i know how you did that" I have found myself handing them the deck of cards and then saying "well can you do it, then I can g home?"

if you say it in the right way it can be humorous ;)
I usually just say something like "well how would you do it?" (toungue and cheeky)....

Dorian
The other night my father got busted doing a cut and restored rope. When the kid (i.e., teenager) came up and called him on it, he replied, "Am I going to have to do it again just for you to make sure you were paying attention?"

The kid walked away quietly.
Show me someone whos never screwed up during a paid gig,or any gig come to that,and I will show you someone who hardly ever performs..........;)
I hated it when I would hear them whisper I'll tell you later but it got me thinking just because they think they know how its done it does not make it a bad trick or performance and it does show they were paying attention and interested.

So when I hear it or see a telling glint in there eye I just smile and carry on.

and try very hard to ignore that nagging feeling in my head about what I did wrong.:)

Dean
I just hope Matt doesn't do any spelling tricks. He's a traitor to the English language.
My stock responses

'I know how you do that' - " Well tell me later, as I've been doing it for years and still don't know how it's done"

'Do you really expect to get laid doing this' - "Well I've tried everything else"

'I saw that' - I immediately hold the deck out and say 'watch this,(pause), that's right, nothing happened....but it WAS really quick' then straight back to the routine.

I generally find it better to make them laugh than challenge them.
Getting busted sucks. It hurts your [i]pride[/i]. And it always seems to come out of left field. Everything is sailing along so smooth, and you are "wonder boy"..then you suddenly deflate to just "boy"

Worst ever happened to me was during a Peter Pitt routine where a signed dollar bill appears safety pinned to the back of your coat. I believe the title of the effect is "Cash Back"

I rehearsed it a million times. Had it smooth as silk. Could do it in my sleep.

Anyway, here I am in front of a paying audience, just brimming with confidence, because I have "mastered" it.

Well, make a long story short, the #@%$% thread busted, and the stupid bill ended up hanging out from under the back of my coat, swinging freely and merrily in the breeze!

Busted is too nice of a word here. Try humiliated!
Well... Am I glad I read every single post on this thread. Can't say I have actually completed such a task many times before, but in this case it was flipping worth it.

Not wanting to resurrect that 'magicmatt' saga, but ... I honestly find sweeping statements like that rather... petulant. That is the only word for it. Just downright petulant. I am enormously glad that the Café community dropped from the heavens like a proverbial tonne of **** and told him to, well- for want of a diplomatic phrase- remove his head from a specific sphincter or suffer the consequences. It's true! We are only human people. Magic is a learning progress, as acting has a learning process. Both have their secret techniques that people do not wish to discuss, but if you screw up... It aint the end of the world. PUH-LEEEEEZ!

As for me, have I been caught? More times then I care to remember. But yes, I HAVE learned my lesson and I practice my butt off.

So there, I have made mistakes.

Sue me.
My lawyer will be in touch... :eek:
[quote]
On 2008-04-06 08:56, daffydoug wrote:
My lawyer will be in touch... :eek:
[/quote]

ARGH!! THat wasn't aimed at you Daffy! :O That was aimed at MagicNaziMatty.

Sorry for the confusion!
:(
No man! I was just kidding! Seriously I was!!!
NO worries... Just got the joke..

"So sue me"
"You will be hearing from my lawyer"

I thought that you had misconstrued that as your comment was petulant.

My bad... :)
It's cool.