(Close Window)
Topic: Dear God! How stupid do these people think we are?
I got an e-mail telling me I was one of 20 people who'd won $900,000.00 in a Coca Cola based lottery.

The woman posting the message was using a hotmail account.

The person I was supposed to respond to (with all sorts of personal information) was <also> using a hotmail account.(And was supposedly based in South Africa!)

Now how <stupid> am I supposed to be if I expected to believe that Coca Cola, a company based in Atlanta, GA would have their promotional campaign coming out of South Africa?

Not only that, but this multi-million dollar company, giving away money by the truckloads is so cheap it makes its employees use HOTMAIL to send the congratulatory letter?
Hey, you never know?

I say, Go for it...

What have you got to lose?
Hate to tell you but I am friends with a guy who was an inch from falling for the "You won a car in a lottery you never entered, just send us $1500 bucks and it is yours", email scam.

The more despirate the reciever is the easier it is to nail them relly. Often this condition overrides your critical factor and boom before you know it your doing something idiotic.

Sad really.
Apparently it must be working at some level, otherwise they would have quit trying these sort of scams.
I like the ones from Nigeria where the Generals widow needs help in geting his millions out. I, having been to Nigeria and having some knowledge of the place, usually respond that their husband owed me money and I expected it immediately since they have millions. I've yet to get my money. Somewhere on line is correspondance from a comedian and the Nigerians with them thinking he was going to help with the transfer and how he wants to romance the mother in Nigeria etc.. Very funny

Speaking of scams I remember when Howard Sterns office got a call from an angry older woman. She had been scammed and the guy, as a parting joke, gave the Stern office phone number as where she could call to get the money promised to her. Stern got her on live and she never would accept that it was a scam and he actually was nice to her trying to explain what happened.
Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow man. Work a hospital emergency room for a couple of months if you want to discover how really stupid people can be. They send out millions of those spam letters and they do it because they find more than enough stupid people in the world with computers who take them up on the scam. Anyone seeing the pidgeon drop demonstrated would wonder how anybody could fall for it, but it has been a standard of cons for a very long time, why, because there are plenty of stupid people out there.
A lawyer friend of mine has a case where a woman was "taken" for a ton of money and is trying to get it back... :dice:
There is a place in NYC where you can buy shares of the Brooklyn Bridge. It will go to support the future repair bills. They don't have an actual "office" but if you are downtown, there is a guy who "works" around Chambers street. He has all the legit paperwork but he only takes cash...

Get in on it NOW, while shares last.
A sucker born every minute
and two more to take him.

Like shooting fish in a barrel

Like taking candy from a baby

(and my personal favorite)
The pigeons have come home to roost
With over 6 billion people you only need a minute few to fall for it.
http://www.419eater.com/ <~~ You might want to join up with these guys...
I recently received a really sophisticated hoax email.

It was supposed to be from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs. It linked to their site and everything.

It said I had a tax re-bate of 147 or something and needed my bank details to deposit the cash.

One thing gave them away. They asked for my zip code. But this is the UK where we asked for postcodes.

I was almost taken, but called to check up with my employer, and then HMRC who confirmed it was a hoax.
"no one has ever gone broke underestimating the intelegence of the American people" HL Menchen
"there's a sucker born every minute" PT Barnum
Actually I don't believe it was Barnum.

http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbarnum.html
I like the ones that say a long lost relative has left me money.
These are supposed to have been sent by a lawyer handling the case.

First... both my mom and dad are alive.
So no matter which side of the family it's on, they would be the next of kin.
Second... my sister is the oldest, then my brother, then me.
I am the youngest.

There is no way I could be the next of kin to anyone dead.

I always right back telling them that they are the worst lawyer I have ever heard of.
I explain what I said above, and a real lawyer should get a better email address than one from yahoo.

Some times I actually get an email back trying to defend themselves.
But it's just because they can't stand that I busted them, and I am very rude when I do it.
I also always tell them that I have reported them and there will be an investigation.
That always gets their goat.

Randi
I'm still waiting for my free car, $100,00, house in Spain, and my mail order bride.

I still can't figure out how all my money is disappearing out of all my accounts...
"That always gets their goat."

It could also get you on a more agressive list for spam...only because now they can add you to the list they know is active addresses. Better to ignore. :)
True Doug... but it is my junk account any way.

Randi
Mmmm, Coca Cola.
[quote]
On 2007-09-12 15:59, Hansen wrote:
Mmmm, Coca Cola.
[/quote]

The weird part is; I was gonna say the same thing. What are you wearing? maybe I'm wearing it too.
The scariest new spam mail that is out there is known as the "hitman letter". Below is a copy of one such letter.

[quote]
--- Begin Scam Email --- Subject: Leave Or die

Dear Frend It is important we come to a conclusion now or never because I have been hired to kill you. this is the simple fact and I have been paid well for this job to be sincere with you. I have your full data's. from your name. to your address.to your phone numbers including this email address. I watch you everyday since the past two weeks and I know where you go and when you come back and everything you do. Do not dare me. I am a born killer. which is what I do to survive. I was born and brought up in Mexico.

Never the less, I do not want to kill you. rasons best known to me. only if you will comply with my ransom and I will let you go and even send you the pictures of the person in charge (Who Paid me to kill you) including a very important video tape that you might need

NOTE: No Police. Ignore this message if you wish to die. I give you 5 days to comply or I will come for you. I am presently on another assignment. You have your choice.

[Name Deleted] (No Traces) Reply to: [Email deleted]

--- End Scam Email ---
[/quote]

Usually these extortionists will ask for amounts as low as $20,000 to as high as $150,000! Definitely NOT small change.

This is one scam that should be reported to the police and FBI IMMEDIATELY! While it is still a scam, it is one with a cruel twist. Here is a link to a specific article dealing with them.

http://www.scambusters.org/hitman.html

For a list of scams, go to http://www.scambusters.org . I have found both their website and email alerts very informative.
Lol, I like the part that says,

"I will let you go and even send you the pictures of the person in charge (Who Paid me to kill you) "

Definitely sounds like a professional hit man. :-p
I always give a guy that option. It's gentlemanly.
I was born and brought up in Mexico.

oh, he is tough.
[quote]
On 2007-09-11 14:24, Patrick Differ wrote:
A sucker born every minute
and two more to take him.

Like shooting fish in a barrel

Like taking candy from a baby

(and my personal favorite)
The pigeons have come home to roost

[/quote]

... and my personal favorite:

[b][i]"I :beatingheart: Robin Marks."[/i][/b]
I've never received one of these e-mails so ... they must think you're reeeeally stupid. :heehee:
Kregg, can I get your e-mail address?
"You can't cheat an honest man." W.C. Fields
You know, I went to grade school with a girl named Robin Marks. She was one of those girls who was really cute around 11 or 12 and by 16 looked like she could wrestle bulls to the ground.
[quote]
On 2007-09-12 12:40, Dannydoyle wrote:
Actually I don't believe it was Barnum.

http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbarnum.html
[/quote]

If it wasn't (and it probably wasn't) it should of been.

"There is a sucker, born every minute.
Each time that second hand sweeps to the top
like dandilions up they pop.
Their ears so big, their eyes so wide
and though my tale is bona-fide balognia
just let me spin it.
And ain't no man that can resist me wait and see.
'Cause there's as sure as shootin' sucker born a minute
And friends, the biggest one, excluding none, is ME!"
Michael Crawford - "Barnum" (Yes, I know Jim Dale created the role, but the version I have is Crawford.)

[quote]
On 2007-09-12 22:35, clynim wrote:
The scariest new spam mail that is out there is known as the "hitman letter". Below is a copy of one such letter.

[/quote]

"If you're going to threaten a man's life, be certain he has something to live for." ~ John Laroquette "The John Laroquette Show"
I don't know anyone who would want to kill me....and have the money to hire someone else to do it! ;)