(Close Window)
Topic: Incredible Dancing Paper Napkin
Anyone have this?
There is a nice demo. The guy seems to do a good job with it.
Anyone know if this is impromptu or is there a gimmick?

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/incredible-dancing-paper-napkin-by-scott-francis-and-david-allen-p-5056.html
I've a question. You seem very much into the idea of 'impromptu'. How are you defining impromptu? I have a feeling your ideas of it are different than mine are or those of many if not most experienced magicians.
I am an experienced magician, 10+ years if that counts, but the use of the word impromptu seems to mean many things to magicians these days and is used rather loosely.

Some magicians mean no gimmicks but with set-up or prep. on the site (i.e. like Greg Wilson 5000 Vanish)
Some mean with gimmicks but no set-up (i.e Loops).
Some mean borrowed and unprepared (i.e. CMH's).
Some mean "looks" impromptu - which is the worst use of the word.
There's a 2 1/2 cent gimmick which you easily carry in your pocket. You use any unprepared napkin.

As a magic effect, it's no "10" but I think the charm factor is an "8 to 10" for the right spectators. Bingo: Cool, worthwhile idea for anyone in the right venue!
Does the gimmick inlcuded? Or I need to make it myself
Message: Posted by: Gilgamesh_The_Librarian (Sep 21, 2007 02:45PM)
Whilst I don't subscribe to the theory that there are no bad tricks , only bad magicians, I do think that real pro's can get great milage out of decent, if not earth shattering effects.

It says it all to me that here is a real life demo where the effect was used to close an act and got a really great response from the audience. A lot down to the performance but it shows what a neat trick this can be in the right hands.

Definitely interested in this.
Reminds me of the Rigid hank !
This effect does look nice, but I dislike the face that you cant hand it out after it is crumpled up. I think a switch for an ungimmicked balled up napkin would be nice if anyone asks... Or just switch it anyway, and non-nonchalantly leave it on the table.

-Vinnie
I don't know that it can't be handed out. But I don't have this. I'd imagine aside from switching there are ways around this.
I think if you just throw it away no one would question.
[quote]
On 2007-09-21 20:53, Mikeal wrote:
I think if you just throw it away no one would question.
[/quote]

Yes, it's a better way of handling the situation.

:xmas:
Maybe tearing it up to pieces would be good proof and show everyone the show is over and the napkin is normal.
Lot of blackin the background
[quote]
On 2007-09-21 14:45, Steve Hook wrote:
There's a 2 1/2 cent gimmick which you easily carry in your pocket. You use any unprepared napkin.
[/quote]

Where do I get a 1/2 cent?

I don't like the fact that he has the napkin in his hand, then he moves toward the tip of it and does "something" then shortly after, he makes it move back and forth.

I do like the suggestion of tearing it when finished, then you could lay the pieces on the table, and steal away only what is necessary.
Highland: The napkin is taken off the spec's table before starting. Proving at the end is the wrong psychology.

gmmagic124: Black in the background has nothing to do with the method.

TomKMagic: I guess you're trying to be funny abt the 1/2 cent. But for the record, that's an average cost spread over many performances.

Tom, you saw the same entire routine as we all did. If you don't like the handling, then for gosh sakes don't buy the trick!

But suggesting handlings of the gimmick which I don't believe you yet have could be misleading to anyone else who buys it.

The gimmick is bigger than a 1/2 cent and smaller than your original solution for this trick, which you published on your website:
http://my.voyager.net/~tomk/ANGLE1.JPG

Scott's version uses less than half as many batteries.

~ Steve H
Steve,
I disagree that tearing the napkin in such a routine would be wrong psychology. I will not say that you are wrong. I will just accept that we see it differently. To me the ordinary napkin has been given life and becomes an animated free thinking object. To end the routine the napkin either must continue living, or the life must be removed from it. Tearing it up gives an end to the routine and removes the existence of life. The purpose is not to prove there is nothing hidden like a gimmick. It is to prove the napkin has returned to a normal inanimate lifeless napkin.
I guess eating the napkin is a way of ending, but crumpling leaves a bit of curiousity as to whether it is still alive or not. This leaves the ending open. Throwing the crumpled napkin as mentioned above would help end.

I do agree with you though, making a comment or suggestion of a possible presentation without owning it was wrong of me. I was only trying to add to what seems like a useful piece of magic.
I don't know the psy behind. But if you takes the napkin frm the spec, is it a bit rude to destroy it rather than return it back?

Hopes that destroy the napkin is an option rather than necessary for the trick?
Does anybody have this yet who can give and honest review?

Chad
I have it. I like it. There is an easy (and I mean easy) and inexpensive to make gimmick. This is coming from someone who feels that most “easy” to make gimmicks are not worth the time or expense, especially if they are single use as this is. The effect looks just like the demo, no more, no less. Practically speaking you cannot hand out the same napkin used for the routine. I think this is a fair thing to ask on a forum without tipping method. The gimmick is added to a plain napkin, becomes integral to it and then can not really be removed. It is however so cheap and quick to make that you would think nothing of throwing it away. You would not swallow it so to me, putting it in your mouth is only effective possibly as a deterrent to a spectator examining the napkin. I certainly think the trick is worth the asking price
All the complainers just don't get it. This is a solid commercial item and who cares how it is done? Frankly I would do about 30-45 seconds and that's it. Great item.
It looks wonderful. This would be so much fun in a bar/restaurant.

Pete, GREAT new photo!
When I saw this post, I ignored all the negatives people said. Because I saw a gem.
I went and ordered it right away, and I just got the DVD today.
MJM is great!

Thier ad is right though.
You will wonder how you never thought of this.
It's that simple and that clever.

I will say this... even though I am sure others will not like it...
There are two types of magicians... And I don't mean hobbiest and professional.
I mean...
Ones that want to entertain others...
And ones who want to entertain themselves.

If you do magic to entertain others... get this DVD!!!
If you do magic to entertain yourself... go back to working on that card slight that no one will ever see and is too anglely to perform in real life.
It's as simple as that.

Randi
There are many way's to vanish a napkin....why not just vanish it at the end.

I love low tech stuff that entertains...I am ordering.
Do you have to wear a jacket ? if not then this great for behind the bar .
Exactly PaleoMagi... or a switch.

And, no tophatter... nothing like that. It's great for a bar.
Easy easy easy... no clothes issues.

Randi
I know a cool haunted puppet when I see one...I'm ordering.
Thanks Randi, I gotta order I put out about 400 bar napkins a night why not !
This routine looks very fun and I think anyone working the bars or restaurants will get a lot of milage out of this...cant wait to get it! For the ppl that have this...are there any negatives about the dvd/routine?

Sorry, this is off topic but Randi I just watched the trailer for ur pk ring dvds and the effects look very good (been waiting for a pk ring vid)...plus I was wondering where the video was shot? Seems like a very exotic place you got there! lol...

AP
The only negative about the DVD... I would say... is...
Once you know the secret, you pretty much got it.
He keeps going with some funny skits and jokes though.
But the main thing is the secret, which you will slap your head over.

Off topic}}}
Alan: It's Mineral Wells State Park.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/lake_mineral_wells/

Randi
[quote]
On 2007-09-30 10:41, randirain wrote:
But the main thing is the secret, which you will slap your head over.
[/quote]

LOL!
After seeing the vid I know that this will be great, I'm def gonna be picking this up.
Thanks to everyone who responded. This does look great and I will be picking it up!

Chad
[quote]
On 2007-09-29 22:42, randirain wrote:
When I saw this post, I ignored all the negatives people said. Because I saw a gem.
MJM is great!

I mean...

If you do magic to entertain yourself... go back to working on that card slight that no one will ever see and is too anglely to perform in real life.
It's as simple as that.

Randi
[/quote]

What would we do if we didn't have Randi Rain to lecture us daily?
James
I am not a big fan of lectures either.However,I do not think Randi was trying to lecture anyone.

I believe she was differentiating something that occurs often here at the Café...there are folks who desire real commercial 'workers' that will enhance their performances and thus their careers....and those who desire 'instant gratifiers'for there own whimsy.

Then the personal whimsy seekers make comments that may negatively affect the commercial viability of an otherwise fine product...

We all can easily recognize what faction we belong to.

I happen to belong to the commercial workers group...my sole desire is to entertain folks[PERIOD!]...and if I can successfully accomplish it...that...is MY gratification.

Now,if you do not like the description or demo of a product,or think it may not be for you...*and ESPECIALLY if you do not even own it!*...well...[to be polite]..bite your tongue,or buy the product and then try to provide an intellegent assessment.

This thread was not as bad in that respect as others I have seen...however,it seemed to be heading that way.[until Randi stepped up]

I will gladly post my assessment of this product after receiving it later this week.

Best.
Rich
Randi Rain for President!
I got to see Scott Francis perform this recently in a show we worked together, and I've gotta say it was incredible. The gimmick is durable, inexpensive, and EXTREMELY doable. I was doing it 10 minutes after he showed my how, and I'll be adding it to my kids show immediately.

With a bit of thoughtful examination, there are ways to hand the napkin out to be examined, and there aren't any stupid hook-ups. This is pure" why didn't I think of that" magic at it's finest!!!!!
[quote]
On 2007-09-29 22:42, randirain wrote:
MJM is great!

I mean...

It's as simple as that.

Randi
[/quote]

AMEN!!!
Thanks for all the details and reviews on the effect ...i really don't know why I waited this long to get it...i just ordered it..now the real anticipation begins...

I cant wait to perform this...it just looks fun!

AP
I tend to buy effects on impulse-------what a mistake! I have a MOUNTAIN of stuff I will never use. This item was an impulse purchase for me. I just now finished watching the DVD. I love the effect and the gimmick is nothing like I thought it would be. How ingenious! I don't have to buy anything. Everything is right here in my house! Why didn't I think of this! So simple and so perfect! This is DEFINITELY going into my act. I can see this used at kids shows, company picnics, birthday parties, table hopping--everywhere.

.....and the DVD.....I had more fun watching the DVD than any other magic DVD I can remember. Fun and informative. I recommend this effect to anyone & you'll kick yourself when you see the method. I will be using this.......tomorrow!
[quote]What would we do if we didn't have Randi Rain to lecture us daily?[/quote]
HAHAHAHA... I guess read pointless posts like that. :)

But it's far from daily, and it's not lectures. I just speak my mind.
People don't like it because it comes from me, or I strike a nerve.
What ever.

But my post did exactly what I meant for it to do.
Which was explained already by PaleoMagi.

I am 36 years old and have been doing magic since I was 9.
Out of the 30,000 here on the Café, how many people can say that?
What? Maybe a third at the most?

And Turk agrees with me.... smart guy!! :)

Any way... All of you who have followed suit and bought this DVD...
You will like it.
I have been playing with it for a few days now.
I am performing at our State Fair, so I haven't had much time to really work hard on it though.
But I will.

Randi
I think I will be picking this DVD up soon based upon y'all's reviews.
Randi , Same here I started in magic at age 9 now 44 don't ya just love it !! My first trick was the color changing knife.
I received this DVD yesterday.Here is my assessment.

*Ingenious gimmick

*Excellent instructive DVD

*Easy construction of gimmick

*IMO this is a wonderful and potentially charming piece.

*This is not an effect that should be performed without in depth practice and routining.

*I believe that if you do not invest the time needed to develop a smooth handling and routine you will probably be busted.

* I have performed a similar type effect many hundreds of times for years..'Rigid Hank',and even with that experience it will be a week or two before I can bring my performance near what you see on the demo.

Final comments:I rate the DVD 9/10 The effect 'potentially' 9/10.

Highly reccommended[with the above caveats].

Best.
Rich
Many thanks for your review Rich, I've ordered it. Also to Randyrain whom I find delivers many very helpful reviews and bits of info to Café members.
Yeh after hearing reviews from Randi & rich it's time to order !
I have not had as much fun practicing an effect in along while.:)You guys are going to like this one.

I have come up with a super easy 'get ready' that I would be happy to share[via PM] with anyone who can prove they purchased the effect.
Just tell me the total # of Scenes on the DVD,and I will PM my idea to you.

Best.
Rich
Message: Posted by: one funny magic boy (Oct 10, 2007 10:43PM)
Hi there everyone. This is Scott Francis, the co-creator of the Incredible Dancing Napkin and hero of David Allen...just kidding. Hope everyone has enjoyed the fun of the video. I have been performing magic for over 35 years. I loved performing a dancing hanky, and have done about 12 different versions thru the years. One of the things I didn't like is having to put up a fancy backdrop just to perform the trick. I also didn't like having to use assistance help to pull the trick off. As well as very expensive electronic apparatus. I think David Allen and I have solved a lot of these issues. This trick allows you to perform completely surrounded in full light with any napkin, anywhere, and get rid of the gimmick. The only drawback is having a back-lit situation (light that is brighter behind you than in front of you). David and I have had so much fun with this, more fun than any one human should have, we hope you see the great potential in making this trick your own.

I have a very strong act and am very picky with what goes into my show. I can honestly say that this will be in my "A" show for the rest of my life.

Thanks for all the great comments and reviews that everyone has posted. It means a lot that so many people like our effect. So many times I have opened a new trick and been so disappointed. I hope that no one experiences this with our DVDs. We tried to keep this DVD fun as well as informative. We know this will be worth many times the small investment you make.

Enjoy!!!

Scott Francis
http://www.MacGyverMagic.com
I ordered it about 2 weeks ago and can't waite to have fun with it.
Well....I suppose I need to address something that is bothering me. I am the other half creator of the Dancing Napkin. I just read the post from MagicSanta. Although I certainly appreciate the good comments I do take offense with the Phallic comment. As I understand the meaning of the word, it is a sexual thing. I have to admit I was a bit stumped on the word when I first read it. I want everyone to know that this is NOT the intention of the kissing move with the napkin. I am a bit shocked that anyone would put their mind in that kind of gutter to come up with that. If me or Scott had even suspected 1% that something dirty would be made of an innocent move in our video we would have yanked it so fast from the video it would have left a dust trail.

Thank you MagicSanta for you nice review but in my opinion you "tainted" it with trying to come up with something negative to say like that. I have no problem at all with negative comments because I know not everyone will like what we do. But to taint all your good reviews with such a comment like that I think is a bit uncalled for.

So I will leave with this....Nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the video was done to refer to or insinuate anything but pure clean entertainment. If you see something other than that I suggest you don't perform the trick. Thanks

Dave
I’ve used the old “Waltzing Matilda” since the day I bought it from it’s creator Steve Dusheck over three decades ago! This version takes the idea to the next level!

As has been mentioned in the above posts, it is way easy to make, easy to get into, easy to perform, and easy to get out of! A big plus it that it is a whimsical and magical effect! I tend to carry one with me at all times when I am going to hit a fast food place and perform it on the spur of the moment. My clean up is way easy (in keeping with everything else about this prop and routine).

Bottom line for me, it is a quick, magical, attention getting worker! I’ve given out a dozen business cards after performing this on line waiting for my “Happy Meal”!

While I hope the guys that put this together make a ton of money off it, I would not be sad at all if no one else bought it or performed it.

With a little over 80 performances for mixed company I've yet to hear a complaint about any sexual subtext with the routine. Maybe people just don't think that someone of my way advanced years could even have those thoughts!
I throughly enjoy David Allen's Incredible Dancing Paper Napkin. David Allen seems to me a lighthearted, effervescent and clever magician and the kissing move is very natural to me - like how one would kiss a flower or a rabbit.
I wonder what Sigmund Freud would say about the phallic comment!
Here is something I am wondering about.

I perform quick tricks for waitresses in restaurants and it gets me great service (and sometimes dates). So I wondered, could I perform this with a waitress standing at my table, and me sitting down?

Thanks,

Al
Yes Al.
Sitting will be fine...standing not required.
Yes you can Al. This is definately a great little piece of magic and more importantly, entertainment. Best buy this year for me, it really is "the simple things in life" that seem to be the best. Wonderful effect.
With all the positive reviews it looks like this is a real winner.
I just placed my order and I can't wait to receive it.
Easily one of the best buys of the year. Very clever and the DVD is way entertaining.
I have ordered this. However, I wonder - it is called the "Incredible Dancing PAPER Napkin" Could the gimmick be adapted to work in animating a cloth napkin - such as in a man's pocket handkerchef - as well as a paper napkin?

Many Thanks,

John
[quote]
On 2007-10-22 03:29, John wrote:
I have ordered this. However, I wonder - it is called the "Incredible Dancing PAPER Napkin" Could the gimmick be adapted to work in animating a cloth napkin - such as in a man's pocket handkerchef - as well as a paper napkin?

Many Thanks,

John
[/quote]

Probably not.[Nor should you want to]The beauty of this effect is it's innocent and impromptu nature....using a common object,and then being able to crumple it up and throw it away.

Rich
People have been buying these from me but I didn't know what it was until I saw the clip. Now I know why they're selling so well and I'll be getting one of my own.
David, like it or not when I performed it I was uncomfertable with that aspect of it and so were some of the fathers who witnessed it. I was saying it as nicely as I could. Perhaps it is more the individual on the DVD performing it that made it seem so to me. I have 86'd that part of it and for what I think is good reason. I also didn't care for the famous balloon swallowing for the same reason and if you watch the Bedwell DVD, No MD Required, a great DVD, he also reacts to that routine the same way. Coit Tower, The Washington Monument, also phallic. I will not be kissing a napkin after rubbing it, you all may kiss what you decide to kiss...diversity and all that.
I start out by unzipping my fly ( ala Mullica )pull the napkin out and start the routine like that. Is that wrong?

OK, I don't, but in a comedy club....anything is possible.
Scott, David, and "MagicSanta":

For the record, "MagicSanta's" odd comment about the napkin being phallic never crossed my mind and neither did it cross the minds of friends to whom I sent the vid link. Actually, for just a moment, I thought "MagicSanta" was kidding.

The odd comments seem to say more about some people than about the entertaining trick itself.

Steve Hook
Actually had this David fellow PM'd me I'd have changed the review to remove the comment, which I consider valid. I will actually repost it without the reference but I do so because I don't want to take away from the item. I think David brought more attention to it than was warranted, congrats David, you don't shine the light on something you don't want noted. I still won't be kissing the thing nor dressing like a Malibu teenage girl.
Title: The Incredible Dancing Paper Napkin
Medium: DVD
Arena: Close up, bar, restaurant, kids show, ‘impromptu’
Available: Any shop, Distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

The Incredible Dancing Paper Napkin is a very creative haunted napkin puppet that you can easily put together and use in a number of situations. First off the quality of the DVD is pretty good, both in picture and sound. Scott Francis is the exhibiter and instructor and does a fine job. He is the co inventor of the method along with David Allen. The device used to animate the napkin is more likely than not to be in your home at this time and is easily made. The animation is very good and I wonder how these guys discovered the properties of the house hold item used in order to make the napkin work. I will tell you this, a dancing napkin like this absolutely kills with kids and ladies love it in bars. I’ve done it the old fashion way, you know, using your thumb pressure to get a bit of motion, but this is way better. Do this in a restaurant full of kids and you’ll the star of the night.

I can’t really think of a negative about this trick. It is visual, looks to be impromptu to the specs, and it will entertain the heck out of the kids. If you work for kids or work bars you’ll love this. The gimmick is a bit of a pain to carry a lot of for table hoppers but that aspect is addressed some what but if you have a place behind the bar you are set. This is a no brainer for the kids show performer. Making the gimmick is very easy, you’ll have it right the first time unless you are just not at all good at following instructions and have no skills with scissors at all. You’ll want to play with it to find out how the animation works. There has been some discussion about ditching the napkin at the end. I don’t think this is an issue because it just returns to being a regular napkin. On the DVD they just crush it but you can remove the gimmick if need be or switch it out, whatever. I do the ol’ Glorpy method and tell the kids I caught a spirit or fairy in the napkin and that is what causes the animation then when I crush it it is because the spirit few away.

I don’t want to be all rosy about this so I’ll find something to complain about. That would be in the routine where Scott kisses the napkin. I found it a bit too silly for my character, why I would want to kiss a napkin just seems odd. Luckily I’m comfortable as a performer and don’t have to copy every aspect of a routine. As for Scott himself, he is a funny guy but dude, unless you are a teenage girl from Malibu get rid of the jeans with the torn out knees. Sure it makes the silly kissing of a napkin work but still. Other than that this is one of the more valuable effects that has come out recently. Do note this doesn’t mean bad effects have come out, but from a performers perspective this is one that will be done. Very creative piece.
I'm pretending it's 1965 again and I can say what I want. America ( and the world ) has become over feminized and the littlest thing offends someone.
I have just ordered this and look forward to performing it for friends at dinner etc.

As far as putting it in a show, some of you have mentioned tearing up the napkin at the end. Thyis could then lead into the Sucker Torn and Restored Napkin to make a nice little routine. The danciºng bit would just be an extra at the beginning. The napkin "knows" that you are going to tear it, and comes to life, trying to escape - you then also have a logic reason to tear the napkin, and the sucker effect takes the heat off any suspicion the specs may have about the dancing bit...

Just a thought...
Hi there MagicSanta. This is that David fellow. PMing you never crossed my mind. Sorry if it offended you to post it on the thread. I am glad you choose not to kiss the napkin. I want people to perform this with their own style. It would kindof be boring if everyone did it like Scott.

I shine the light on things that I don't agree on. So to bring attention to it means that I stand up for what I believe in. So shine the light bright...I don't care. Im glad you speak your mind too.

By the way....I even wear ripped jeans to church. My style is ripped jeans. And I live a long way from Malibu. Maybe I should go there sometime.

Seriously MagicSanta....thanks for all the good comments.

Dave
No problem, it is a good idea. I am not offended at all by you pointing it out, I stand by it based on the second definition found of the three in my dictionary for phallic. If I wore torn jeans to church when I lived in Decatur Georgia I would have been kicked out (granted this was many years ago before the area became an 'East Coast city' and was still a 'Southern city'. As you can see I changed the review and asked the wonderful gentlemen who keep this board clean to remove the other one.

It is a very good effect, very creative, and doesn't work with wimpy gimmicks like I tried the other day. Good luck and keep in mind, Stone Mountain....the chimes...phallic.
[quote]
On 2007-10-24 13:47, David Allen wrote:
Hi there MagicSanta. This is that David fellow. PMing you never crossed my mind. Sorry if it offended you to post it on the thread. I am glad you choose not to kiss the napkin. I want people to perform this with their own style. It would kindof be boring if everyone did it like Scott.

I shine the light on things that I don't agree on. So to bring attention to it means that I stand up for what I believe in. So shine the light bright...I don't care. Im glad you speak your mind too.

By the way....I even wear ripped jeans to church. My style is ripped jeans. And I live a long way from Malibu. Maybe I should go there sometime.

Seriously MagicSanta....thanks for all the good comments.

Dave
[/quote]

So if someone's style is to cross dress, that's ok in church?

And you thought kissing napkins and phalic symbols were your biggest problems.
They have no problem with my clothes in church as long as I don't wear my spaghetti strap shirt.

Oh should I have said that........?
PLEASE I BEG OF ALL OF YOU DON'T BUY THIS DVD. I want it all to MYSELF. ]:->

I love this effect. I don't care what anyone thinks about the routine on the video, and anything they may think of as dirty, it's still great. I'm kinda mad I didn't think of it myself. I've been doing it all over the place and getting great reactions. Let's face it, if you are a real pro the reaction is what you are after. If you are only interested in finding out the method you will kick yourself, so don't buy it just to find out the method and resell it or just give it away. That will just kill it for everyone that is actually doing it.
I returned to my former stomping grounds in the Bay Area (SF bay) and went to a fund raiser for a highschool.... one of the 'special days' they are promoting is, and I'm not making this up, "transgender day! Come dressed as the opposite sex!".
[quote]
On 2007-10-24 16:15, David Allen wrote:
They have no problem with my clothes in church as long as I don't wear my spaghetti strap shirt.

Oh should I have said that........?
[/quote]

I wish you hadn't said it. lol.

Congratulations on one of the BEST effects to come out in years. Simply brilliant!
It looks very good, does this trick use the same gimmick that Waltzing matilda? or it is something different? I do have a Waltzing Matilda so I don't want another version of the trick.
Pablo
MagicSanta:

You sure do think and write about weird sex thoughts and proclivities a lot!

Maybe it's time to get away from your unusual fears and get back to the actual product here, "The Incredible Dancing Paper Napkin" and how it can best be used to entertain your fellow, normal humans!

And everyone else:

Any more reviewers out there? I've heard there are a lot of cool ideas being generated by those who are now performing this. It just seems to have so much potential.

Would love to hear of any suggestions which you folks might be willing to part with.

I had the barebones method tipped to me early on but I've finally got the actual DVD on the way. Will make a few comments after watching it.

One idea I had is to wear "X-ray Glasses" (the ones with the circles) with which to hypnotize the napkin, but the napkin winds up goofing with the performer's suggestions/orders. (I know I run the risk of MS criticizing my choice of glasses frames, but I'm willing to take the risk in order to make a few kids laugh!)

Ideas?

- Steve
Message: Posted by: Gilgamesh_The_Librarian (Oct 25, 2007 04:48PM)
It appears that Dave and Magic Santa have sorted things out on good terms so lets just leave that and concentrate on a very good product.
Steve is just angry because he is from a Yankee state....
[quote]
On 2007-10-25 16:58, pabloinus wrote:
It looks very good, does this trick use the same gimmick that Waltzing matilda? or it is something different? I do have a Waltzing Matilda so I don't want another version of the trick.
Pablo
[/quote]

Quite different and very clever. You will meet a new dance partner :)
[quote]
On 2007-10-25 17:18, Steve Hook wrote:
One idea I had is to wear "X-ray Glasses" (the ones with the circles) with which to hypnotize the napkin, but the napkin winds up goofing with the performer's suggestions/orders. (I know I run the risk of MS criticizing my choice of glasses frames, but I'm willing to take the risk in order to make a few kids laugh!)

- Steve
[/quote]

That's a very clever and professional idea.
Steve's glass frames represent Satan.
[quote]
On 2007-10-25 18:16, MagicSanta wrote:
Steve is just angry because he is from a Yankee state....
[/quote]

For the record, I've lived in Florida, Hawaii, and North Carolina, none of which are "Yankee" states.

Also for the record, if I ever win the lottery, I'll spend 3 months out of the year in New York City.

But North Carolina is SOUTH of Virginia, another decidedly Confederate state. You do the math......

..........but we digress.........
;-)

- Steve H

PS: Thanks, Chris.
I lived so deep into South Georgia we considered Atlanta to be a Yankee Capitol...
Message: Posted by: one funny magic boy (Oct 31, 2007 03:36AM)
Hey I have a great idea lets go back to talking magic on this magic forum.recently I have performed the dancing napkin in front of large groups with wonderful reactions.anybody doing this on stage yet???????
Got a different use for dancing napkin, fits perfectly into my "haunted pub crawl,'
where I tour the bars along the very old wilmington waterfront and tell ghost stories as my guests tip a few,i occasionally use a haunted key to illustrate a story, and now this is another that I use as the occasion arises
Quick question, and I'm not fishing for the method, honest!

Is the gimmick something that I would have to take with me when I go out, or is it likely to be found in restaurants, bars, people's homes etc?
Need to take it
Ross, Scotty is correct and incorrect. The chief component is almost 100% to be found in homes, 95% in restaurants, about 80% or better in bars. There is a secondary component that can be worked around that isn't likely just to be found but it is easily obtained.
Can the gimmick be legally transported thru a metal detector at the airport ?? Or would it be considered a shiv by the warden and get me 30 days in the hole ? Do you need a SMT soldering iron set to create it? How many batteries does it take ? Has Randi actually performed with the "No Clothes" option? Will MagicSanta every stop skeeving people out ? Is it available a totally freeking urbane and gritty GHOST deck design ?
I must say on watching this dvd I was impressed with the gimmick and how easy it can be made up.the dvd really covers everthing.the only thing I would mention is the items to make the gimmick is probably in 50% of uk homes,so a trip to the town centre not your corner shop is more than likely necessary to buy the items.
still it is fantastic and worth every penny.(makes a change)
The required gimmick can be carried through airports, you could even take it to watch congress perform. You could tape it to your head and still it would be okay by security even though you may be questioned about taping stuff to your head. You kid can bring it to school and not be in trouble, your wife could wave it in church and while strange no one would be scared. You could beat a puppy with one and the puppy would think it felt good. You can use it to play with a kitten.

I am surprised that it isn't as common in the UK as it is in the US.
For you beginners out there(which includes me), the gimmick is very easy to make and is great--it is just not so easy to, for lack of a better word, install the gimmick without getting caught--I am still practicing but just wanted everyone to know that installing the gimmick without being noticed is not so easy--not difficult technically at all, just difficult to do without being noticed, at least for a hobbyist--otherwise great effect
So "install" the gimmick in the men's room, then switch it into play when no one's looking. If you're a hobbyist, you got all the time in the World to prepare!
I'm intrigued, but so certain I've seen this before, I'm loath to part with the cash. I need to see that vid a couple of times again.....
....is this really a new method? Or simply an old method performed with new materials?
There shouldn't be any real heat on you anyway unless you call for it. The attention is drawn when you go into the hypno, if you do that, and the movement.
[quote]
On 2007-10-31 19:16, Potty the Pirate wrote:
So "install" the gimmick in the men's room, then switch it into play when no one's looking. If you're a hobbyist, you got all the time in the World to prepare!
I'm intrigued, but so certain I've seen this before, I'm loath to part with the cash. I need to see that vid a couple of times again.....
....is this really a new method? Or simply an old method performed with new materials?
[/quote]

Actually, it works best installed in the women's room. It's worth the risk.
[quote]
On 2007-10-31 19:16, Or simply an old method performed with new materials?
[/quote]

Bingo!

However,what a clever new/old method and gimmick.

Listen carefully...relax...clear your mind...Do not buy this...I am the only performer who should posess this.....sleep...sleep...
You'll go Potty if you don't find out, its great!
Bought the DVD last week & was performing it at weekend I for one wouldnt have thought of the gimmick But as they say in the DVD Im glad they did!!
For the money 10/10
Practical 10/10
I noted the movement before but I never thought of altering it by cutting to make it have more dramatic motion and certainly never thought of a magical application.
Message: Posted by: one funny magic boy (Nov 1, 2007 03:41AM)
[quote]
On 2007-10-31 18:16, samdan wrote:
For you beginners out there(which includes me), the gimmick is very easy to make and is great--it is just not so easy to, for lack of a better word, install the gimmick without getting caught--I am still practicing but just wanted everyone to know that installing the gimmick without being noticed is not so easy--not difficult technically at all, just difficult to do without being noticed, at least for a hobbyist--otherwise great effect
[/quote] remember in magic the big movement covers the little movement this might seam awkward at first; two dozen times your suddenly a pro. when I first started performing the dancing napkin I practiced at fast food drivethru windows.#1 you have a captivated audience for 35 seconds.#2 they have extra napkins #3 if you mess up say thanks and drive off. p.s. don't forget your food. good luck!
Just to add to my previous post can someone tell me where to get the gimmick from as all I can find is the type that have a colour runnung through them and therefore making the gimmick slightly visible.
Look at the cheaper versions.
For some reason I get the comment "look he is controlling SOMETHING with his hand"

Still a great effect. Does anyone else hear that comment?
This DVD is fantastic! I really liked the comedy of the tips section and a guy showing up everywhere asking questions about the gimmick.

Instructions 10/10
Ease of constructing gimmick 10/10
Reaction of audience 10/10
Yep...there is absolutely everything right about this product, effect and DVD.
Message: Posted by: one funny magic boy (Nov 4, 2007 09:13PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-04 19:02, MagicMan1957 wrote:
For some reason I get the comment "look he is controlling SOMETHING with his hand"

Still a great effect. Does anyone else hear that comment?
[/quote]
Hello MagicMan1957: I was performing the incredible dancing paper napkin at a restaurant one time and had a small child yell out, "you're moving it with your thumb!" I said, "what thumb?" while lifting the hand that was doing the gimmick and switched to the other hand. I have found that if you switch hands often you won't get that comment anymore. Just keep it moving a lot. Good luck!
Hi Folks

Perhpas if you work on it a litle more longer at home, you will not have those types of comment :)
Arthur
[quote]
On 2007-11-05 03:25, Tivoli wrote:
Hi Folks

Perhpas if you work on it a litle more longer at home, you will not have those types of comment :)
Arthur
[/quote]

I agree Arthur.This is definitely an effect where 'routining' is paramount.I believe if you begin by performing the basic bendover move you have a greater chance of being called for hand/thumb shenanigans.

I suggest starting very slowly..perhaps making it come to life as with interlocking fingers display on the DVD...then have it try to escape a couple of times.You can alway's end with the basic move before crumpleing.

p.s.Although napkins work fine I prefer using Kleenex/tissue when available.

Rich
Message: Posted by: one funny magic boy (Nov 5, 2007 08:50PM)
Hi Rich,I prefer Kleenex/tissue too. It's much more flexible, plus doing it on stage it just makes more sense to grab a tissue than to grab a napkin. Also, you can pre-load the gimmick and leave it in the Kleenex box and be ready to perform at any time. I am personally having a blast with this trick!! I love it!
Ok...i just received this yesterday...and I'm impressed!

first of all..there's no way I would have thought of this...but its genius..lol..i havent tried it yet but I'm going to go get the need stuff and cant wait to try it out..needless to say I'm excited to use this...im already thinking of a number of routines.

A must have for sure! Def. a good buy!

AP
Hey everyone. I found out we have the #2 Best Selling DVD in the December issue of GENII. That is awsome! Thank you everyone for your great support of our product. Just wait...you aint seen nothin' yet from MacGyver magic. Keep your eyes peeled for us in 2008.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Dave
Quite clever.
Simple.
Low cost.
Fun.
Worth the cost of the DVD

But spend some time and learn to do it right,
work out a good routine it’s worth it.

Another (unnamed) version of a dancing hank
cost me just over a $100 and it does not move as
nice as the “Incredible Dancing Paper Napkin”.

Because of the ripped-off feeling of the previous
purchase I almost passed on the “Incredible Dancing Paper Napkin”.
But I am glad I took the chance.
[quote]
On 2007-10-31 19:16, Potty the Pirate wrote:
"...So 'install' the gimmick in the men's room...."
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2007-11-01 04:41, one funny magic boy wrote:
"...remember in magic the big movement covers the little movement...."
[/quote]

You guys are sick. :baby:
PM me if you are interested in selling or trading this DVD. Sounds great!

Mike
Having worked with this a bit now, it's more obvious how charming this is and how much kids and even adults (especially women) like this.

The instructions are given by Scott Francis, a successful comedian/magician. He and David Allen made the DVD in an entertaining way, so it was fun to watch while learning about the gizmo and presentation. The DVD explains everything in detail, including not only the basics, but also how to prepare for and do repeat performances.

I can see more possibilities on the horizon re alternative loading techniques and presentational angles. (I've been thinking about this since I had a great idea about loading in a specific situation explained to me last week.)

There is more to this beyond the basics of transport and presentation. It's hard to discuss these ideas on the Web without revealing the basic information. Maybe there could be a supplemental DVD with a chunk of the discoveries and suggestions people are coming up with?? Just a thought.

In the meantime, I like this and audiences like this. The method is simple and the presentations are boundless.
I just got this today. I do the complete Sean Bogunia Dancing Hank Act and this is a great after show follow up assuming I'm still at the venue or the client / producers invite me for dinner or drinks after.
Very simple, ingenious and practical device. Also, I enjoyed the way the dvd was composed. Quite entertaining.
I have found that the special gimmick is best made from Walmart brand.. umm.. things.
It's thicker and stronger than the ones I have found at the grocery store.

Randi
[quote]
On 2008-01-10 18:53, randirain wrote:
I have found that the special gimmick is best made from Walmart brand.. umm.. things.

Randi
[/quote]

I agree.
Some of the cheap grocery brands are very whimpy.

Also,...and this is just my take...the DVD may you give the impression that this can be effectively done for a long period of time.IMO...this is definitely one of those effects where 'less is more'.Surprise them with it...do a little dance..get down,and get out.
I don't give the viewers a chance to analyze[not that they would ever guess the method]..which after more than 20 seconds or so they seem to do[in my experience].
It can be Big Fun though.

Rich
Rich, you are absolutely correct.....
[quote]
On 2008-01-10 20:22, PaleoMagi wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-01-10 18:53, randirain wrote:

Randi
[/quote]

I agree.
Some of the cheap grocery brands are very whimpy.

Also,...and this is just my take...the DVD may you give the impression that this can be effectively done for a long period of time.IMO...this is definitely one of those effects where 'less is more'.Surprise them with it...do a little dance..get down,and get out.
I don't give the viewers a chance to analyze[not that they would ever guess the method]..which after more than 20 seconds or so they seem to do[in my experience].
It can be Big Fun though.

Rich
[/quote]

EXACTLY!!! I hope everyone follows your advice.

Lay people are not dumb or blind.
Thank you everyone for your reviews, especially Randi Rain. I figure this, if Randi likes it, then I know not to look any further. I totally trust her.

This is quite a find. I'm really glad I ran across this thread! I just put in MY order!

Doug
I am planning to make a thicker gimmick so I could use it with an 18" silk for stage use. Hmmmm, what could it be.
Got mine today! Brilliant! I NEVER would have thought of it in a MILLION years! I agree with Lou...if you happen to have the Sean Bogunia Dancing Hank, this is a great follow-up!

I work a lot with I.T., and this is PERFECT! I have several ideas I came up with, after watching the DVD. One idea has to do with Halloween. This would go good with Glorpy, as well.

Thank you, Randi, about the Wal-Mart idea...you are correct...very valuable info!

Doug
I like it ; ) ... the method is very refreshing!
best,
T
Does this effect require palming? I try to learn things I can teach my nephews (9 and 11 and just becoming fascinated with magic) but I cannot palm things. I don't mind spending the $$ for the DVD but I'd like to know if my own limitations are going to thwart my evil plans.*

*of making the boys into magicians :)
ScotDeerie, you'll be okay with this.
[quote]
On 2008-01-18 10:24, Mark Raven wrote:
ScotDeerie, you'll be okay with this.
[/quote]

Whoohooo!! I'm off to order one! Thanks!
Greetings

I own this and it great and I love the method.

The problem I have is what size of squirrel to buy to make the hankey dance.

Can anyone advise me please

Dean
The instructions are clear--a mid size north american tree squirrel.
This is good, and is perfect if you are out with your friends at lunch or dinner.
I have seen this performed in the abcmagicshop .. it is a killer trick!
I know the secret and I STILL want this. My questions is this. Why do so many people buy this and turn right around and sell it? I understand that once you know the secret, it's done but why sell it?
[quote]
On 2008-02-28 16:52, SoCalPro wrote:
I know the secret and I STILL want this. My questions is this. Why do so many people buy this and turn right around and sell it? I understand that once you know the secret, it's done but why sell it?
[/quote]

I was wondering that myself? I just bought a used copy & was told that I may want to sell it after I learn the secret.

I would assume that you would have no need to go back & watch it again?

Mike
I personally do not see the need, but as long as I learn AND perform any effect I picked up from a DVD I keep the DVD on hand. Who knows maybe my jumbo coin slipped out of Tenkai palm, bumped me on the head, and I got amnesia? I think of it as a prop: I still perform the effect, I keep the DVD - I retire the effect, I sell the DVD.
Well, by nature...or by nurture...magicians are a pretty tight bunch. It is one of those effects that once you know the secret you probably won't forget it. But I am one of those people that says that..."if anyone wants to know the secret..let them pay what I did". I'll be keeping my copy.
Totally agree with you, John. The creator of an effect has every right to a proper reward for the effort, and if we don't support that, the well could start to dry up!
All this is true... also, don't forget that real magicians try to have a vast library of books and videos.

It's the hacks that don't read and sell videos after they watch them.
Especially the don't READ part.

Randi
[quote]
On 2008-02-29 12:31, randirain wrote:
All this is true... also, don't forget that real magicians try to have a vast library of books and videos.

It's the hacks that don't read and sell videos after they watch them.
Especially the don't READ part.

Randi
[/quote]

I only watch 10 minutes of a DVD and sell it after giving a scathing review that it didn't teach much.. And I never read more than 4 pages of a book before before doing the same.
[quote]I only watch 10 minutes of a DVD and sell it after giving a scathing review that it didn't teach much.. And I never read more than 4 pages of a book before before doing the same.[/quote]
Yeah... I've heard that about you. :dizzy:

Randi
[quote]
On 2008-02-28 19:42, Ichazod wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-02-28 16:52, SoCalPro wrote:
[/quote]

I was wondering that myself? I just bought a used copy & was told that I may want to sell it after I learn the secret.

I would assume that you would have no need to go back & watch it again?

Mike
[/quote]

Just bought mine used today from a poster on the Café and no way am I parting with this. This is too cool. :)
Just ordered this. Sounds like a fun effect.
The trick is a great deal of fun. The video is very well done it explains the methods and how to make sure you can burn the people who ask you to "do it again"

I would not sell my copy as I may in the future want to go back and build some of the holders he shows you how to build in the video.
Anyone else have trouble finding colorless gimmicks?
[quote]
On 2009-05-28 23:48, MiketheMagicDude wrote:
[/quote]
Yes, me.
[quote]
On 2009-05-28 23:48, MiketheMagicDude wrote:
[/quote]

Try the cheaper, off brands. I found them at the discount grocery chain Aldi's.
Where is my nearest Aldi?
Any generic brand at any grocery store chain or retail chain (Walmart, etc.) It seems like the cheap brands are the ones that come all clear.

On a seperate note, I showed this to Dirk Losander a few weeks back when he performed at the California Magic Dinner Theatre - http://calmagic.com/
He loved the effect, said he never saw anything like it. Good job Scott Francis & Dave Allen! For those of you who are not familiar with the work these guys have put out, they specialize in sort of "Do It Yourself" Magic. I also have their Runaway Hanky DVD and I use the reel for the opening of my Stage Set. Also, these guys are just plain funny & entertaining to watch.

Thanks,
Hank
X
O

CARLO,

I must warn you I am a grand master at tic tac toe.Think long and hard before posting your next X. YOU WILL NOT WIN.If you withdraw now ,I will show MERCY.
What? There is NO mercy in ttt- take no prisoners!
Anymore thoughts???
[quote]
On 2012-02-20 00:34, Salby wrote:
Anymore thoughts???
[/quote]
Five pages isn't enough? Three years ago.
Anybody have a used copy they's like to sell? Just missed one by seconds elsewhere!
Right now you can get the "Build a Power Reel" and "The Dancing Napkin" DVDs as a package for $15. postpaid (in the US?) And you get the satisfaction of supporting the creators.

And there are other DVDs available in the package deal for only $10 more each:

Build a Card Fountain

Build Your Own Backdrop

etc.

It's a unique offer.

Their website is:
http://www.MacgyverMagic.com

Thanks, Steve!
Thanks, Steve!