(Close Window)
Topic: "Freakey" by Gregory Wilson - my review (long)
[b]Freakey[/b] by Gregory Wilson - my review

[b]March 2007[/b]

The Café becomes buzzed with rumors of a new effect by the awesome Gregory Wilson called "FreaKey". He had it for sale at Blackpool, and now everybody of course wanted one. Hocus Pocus says they'll have some in 4 weeks.

[b]April 2007[/b]

http://gregorywilsonfx.com has it for sale on their site, Hocus Pocus has zero in stock, and no other vendors do either. Freakey goes on pre-order at Hocus Pocus, MJM and other major dealers.

[b]May 2007[/b]

No vendors have received it, yet. Hocus Pocus has it for sale at $74. Paul (owner of Hocus Pocus) says, "I just got an email from Gregory Wilson. He just returned from England and will be shipping our order of Freakey in 10 days."

MJM says, "I haven't yet heard of any reasonable excuse as to why it's taken so long, which is unfortunate."

Here's the email from Greg: "Just got back from a three-week tour of jolly ol' England and only had enough Freakey's to send out on a temporary basis. The "real" fully-formed batch will be ready in about 10 days. Will send out 100 to you then. Thanks for the order. We'll talk soon."

[b]June 2007[/b]

Paul writes, "According to the last conversation I had with our supplier we should have Freakey sometime next week. That's the most up to date information that I have."

Also, "Let me be very clear. NOBODY is shipping these now. I spoke to our supplier this afternoon directly. Greg has changed the instructional DVD and the packaging of this effect that is what has caused the delay, so no dealers have them to ship. He said that they should start shipping in approx. 7 days."

[b]July 2007 - no news[/b]

[b]August 2007[/b]

Greg finally speaks, "the dealers mistakenly thought it was available and had prematurely advertised it. They never asked me about its release in America and took it upon themselves to take pre-orders without my approval or agreement."

Huh? Greg you emailed Paul Gross that you'd ship him some in May.

Paul's response, "Throughout the long wait I have not yet once received an update or notification of delay directly from Greg. All of our information has been obtained second hand."

[b]September 2007[/b]

FreaKey hits Murphys, and is distributed to your favorite dealer.

Oh wait - another wrinkle! Greg only shipped out 64 copies?! That's right, Hocus Pocus was the only dealer to sell them. So now HP begins pricing it at the normal $95 with a discounted price of $91. Greg complains (methinks, more later) and the discount is removed making it $95 again. But not before I scored my copy for $71 !

So why did the discount vanish, and no other dealers have it? Perhaps the answer lies within the Magic Bunny forum, in this post:

[quote]
On a side note I emailed Greg regarding buying it cheaper from a dealer (plus there will be no import charges!) and he says:

Quote:
These opportunistic dealers who are discounting and undercutting ME. Makes me not want to sell any more merchandise wholesale or through distributors!!!
[/quote]

"These opportunistic dealers" says it all. Those evil dealers are offering my phat loot at 10% off. How dare them. F@#* those guys, I'll just sell it from my site!

Isn't this an odd statement from Gregory Wilson, who's sold countless items through Penguin and Murphys already, and is WELL AWARE of the dealers' existing discounts? If discounts are an issue, why didn't he take a stance with the dealers on pricing?

Even more ironic is why you'd buy it from a dealer charging full price, when you'd need to pay shipping on top of it? Greg's site offers free shipping, plus your keys will be uncut, allowing you to create your own house key from them.

All the distribution problems aside, prepare yourself for one of the most beautifully produced DVD's and highest quality products I've seen in a long time.

Enter FreaKey...

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=9497
$64 after discount with free shipping

But although Penguin sells his On The Spot DVD, Penguin is an evil discounting dealer, therefore have none yet.

http://www.gregorywilsonfx.com/
$95 free shipping until 10/31/2007

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you purchase from Greg directly your keys are uncut, allowing you a customized house key.

Demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhK6_ik9uw

Where to find the hot blonde assistant:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1002979/
http://www.alanacurry.com/

---- What You Get ----

English DVD, beautifully produced
Key ring that emerges out of a small metal casing, so you don't break your fingernails trying to remove the keys
Small black pouch
Two regular keys, and one "special" key

Here's a closeup of the DVD and keys:

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4493/1003620rz0.jpg

---- The DVD ----

Beautiful animated menus, tons of content. Unfortunately some of the content should have been combined considering some segments are only 30 seconds long. And no copyright notice? That's a first.

[b]Master Key[/b]

[b] - Freakey factory tour[/b]

Greg takes us on a factory tour of where the FreaKeys are created. It's interesting to see all the work that goes into them, including the hand cleaning, blasting, etc. He keeps stating, "this is simple, you can do it at home!" I assume to emphasize the impossibility ot creating this particular copper/silver gimmick without ordering it from him.

[b] - Street performance[/b]

Same thing as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhK6_ik9uw

[b] - Introduction[/b]

Thanks for purchasing, blah blah.

[b] - Studio Performance[/b] (3 mins)

The big breasted, blonde Alana Curry joins Greg in doing a studio performance of his main routine.

[b] - Explanation[/b] (11 mins)

Greg explains the custom key chain he included, then goes into exhaustive detail on his main routine. It consists of 5 phases:

- Which key is in my hand?
- Copper/Silver transposition between hands
- Another switch
- Reveal of two silver, and one copper in pocket
- Transposition inside spectator's hand

My favorite routine of the bunch, mainly because of the built in elements and surprises:

- Keys are given to the spectator multiple times, and they're allowed to examine them. Best of all, you hand the ungimmicked keys during separate phases, and although you never say "check that out", you can see the spectators flipping it over several times trying to understand what's happening.

- Keys are examined before the start of this effect.

- Routine ends inside the spectator's hand, giving you ample opportunity to ditch the gimmick. Unfortunately, you cannot really "make a switch" since all three keys are in play and you have no extra.

- The first phase contains a nice slap in the head. On Greg's 5 performances, you can see specs backing up, saying "wtf", etc.

- All 3 keys are all turned over multiple times (or so it seems)

[b]Key Players[/b]

[b] - Gregory Wilson: Quickey[/b] (2 mins)

A one phase routine to get you started immediately, without learning his 5 phase routine. Actual routine lasts 30 seconds.

[b] - Gregory Wilson: Finders Key Purse[/b] (2 mins)

Transposition using a coin purse. Because Greg's made such a point of "copper silver for the real world" using the keys, and everybody's seen a coin purse?

[b] - Gregory Wilson: Top of the Key[/b] (3 mins)

Key drops from the head - same technique Greg uses for On The Spot during the end his QuickSilver routine.

[b] - John Kennedy[/b] (6 mins)

3 stage key transposition using a StarBucks coffee cup. Cool routine, I may use this. The Met-Rx card on his keychain made me spit water through my nose.

[b] - Paul Harris[/b] (2 mins)

You pull a copper key from your pocket, and place into other hand, then pull a silver and do the same. Both keys merge into one copper/silver key. Yes you're exposing the gimmick, so probably not a grand idea to move into another routine using the same gimmick.

[b] - Max Maven[/b] (2 mins)

You pull a copper key from your pocket, and place into other hand, then pull a silver and do the same. After asking the spectator which they'd like to vanish, you make that one completely vanish, leaving only the other key.

[b] - David Gripenwaldt[/b] (2 mins)

You show the spectator a copper/silver key (exposing the gimmick), then split that key into two keys. One copper, one silver.

[b] - Michael Webber[/b] (2 mins)

This is the ending of Gregory Wilson's 5-phase routine (key transposition in spectator's hand), but with alternate patter and a slight variation.

[b] - Mark Jenest[/b] (4 mins)

Originally published in Magic Magazine, and called Short Hop. You keep placing keys into your pocket after the spectator examines them, and finally reveal all the keys missing.

[b] - Danny Archer[/b] (4 mins)

You hand the spectator a dime and penny. Once they place both behind their back, you successfully match their selections 100% of the time with your key selections.

[b] - David Acer (Live!)[/b] (9 mins)

http://magicref.tripod.com/books/acerkeystokingdom.htm

or

http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?client=68457509&action=detail&item=006456

David Acer appears with his variation, called "Keys to the Kingdom" he released many years ago. It consists of color coded keys with color stickers on each side, similar to the copper/silver concept Greg made.

Two keys transpose places, then a silver key between two copper keys becomes a copper key between two silver ones. Finally, all the keys disappear.

Gorgeous routine from Acer with his excellent paddle move displaying both keys as normal. Visually perfect, you're convinced you have seen both sides of the all keys.

[b]Turn Key (false turnovers)[/b]

[b] - Greg's Basic Move[/b] (2 mins)

Used extensively in Greg's 5-phase main routine. Keys are turned over in the same hand, and obviously can be used to turn both keys over simultaneously.

[b] - Apocalypse Move[/b]

Greg claims to have seen this before in Apocalypse (somewhere between 1978 and 1982 lol), but doesn't have an exact issue. You flip the coin over from one hand to the next, with both hands wide open and flat. Does contain a bad angle, on the magi's left side.

[b] - Paddle Move[/b]

Straight forward paddle move that we all know and love, only done with a key. Looks EXTREMELY deceptive, especially David Acer's performance of it. Keys are held at the fingertips near the end and displayed on both sides.

[b] - Hard-To-Name Move[/b]

You grab the key with one hand, then slap it into the other. Very clean and natural looking, with no angle problems.

[b] - Merril Knife Move (with special grip grip)[/b]

David Gripenwaldt showed this to Greg, and believed to be from The Merril's Knife book (1981):

http://magicref.tripod.com/booksjr/merrillknife.htm

Similar to a paddle move, but the side you want a spectator to see if visible the entire time. Also fairly deceptive in slow motion, as Greg demonstrates.

[b]Reveals[/b]

Magi holds a copper key, and the spectator's closed fist contains the silver one. The magi does one of the reveals (below), and is now holding the silver key. Spectator opens their hand to find a copper key. Here are the ways to reveal your changed key:

[b] - Peterson Revelation[/b]

Key is picked up from a closed fist and revealed to be a different color.

[b] - Pluck Revelation[/b]

Copper key is shown in hand, then a silver key is "plucked" from a closed fist, replacing the copper key.

[b] - Flip Revelation[/b]

Copper key is shown in hand, then a silver key appears in the open hand under a closed fist, replacing the copper key.

[b] - Paddle Revelation[/b]

Standard paddle move, used in the transposition.

[b] - Kennedy's Shock Change[/b]

Part 1 contains a switch where the silver key is on top, and gimmicked key (copper) on bottom. Then they are switched out as your lay into your opposite hand. Greg uses this in his 5 phase routine, and is VERY deceptive even to yourself as you're performing it.

Part 2 the copper key changes into the silver while your hand is wide open, and you're misdirecting to your opposite hand (which was closed, but is not opening). Nice use of misdirection for a great reveal.

[b]Pre-Switches[/b]

[b] - In-The-Hand Switch[/b]

One using your existing keyring full of keys as a cover for the switch. Very nice, since your hand is holding more keys which have a dual purpose of covering the clinking noise, hiding the other key plus providing a logical reason for your hand to go into your pocket.

[b] - Table Switch[/b]

Same (or extremely similar) to the In-The-Hand Switch, but using a table to lay the keys and your hand on. Used in Greg's Starbucks effect.

[b]Post-Switches[/b]

[b] - Kennedy's Slap Switch[/b]

Used in Greg's 5-phase main routine. You reveal copper in one hand, silver in the opposite, then one changes places. You then slap the open hand into the closed to reveal one copper/one silver. Deceptive, and excellent idea from John Kennedy.

[b] - Pocket Switch[/b]

Magi goes digging into his pocket for the keychain, switching one key in the process. Standard pocket switch.

[b] - Key Ring Retention Switch[/b]

Switch occurs while magi places the keys into the key ring.

[b]Key Notes[/b]

A serious of interesting tidbits, mostly under a minute in length. If you subtract Greg's jokes about "yet another Key Note", then they're mostly under 20 seconds. Probably should have been combined into one whole 2 minute segment, IMHO.

[b] - Key Note 1[/b]
[b] - Key Note 2[/b]
[b] - Key Note 3[/b]
[b] - Key Note 4[/b]
[b] - Key Note 5[/b]
[b] - Key Note 6[/b]

[b]Bonus Footage[/b]

[b] - Street Performance 1[/b]

The kid holding a water bottle, who Greg ends up having his Bank of America check card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhK6_ik9uw

[b] - Street Performance 2[/b]

Greg performs for two guys outside, at a table near some stores.

[b] - Street Performance 3[/b]

Greg performs for a couple at a Dave and Busters table.

[b] - Street Performance 4[/b]

Greg performs for a some teens at a surfing location (you can see a surf store behind them).

[b] - Street Performance 5[/b]

3 guys at a bar. Fun reactions, probably because they're intoxicated.

[b]Special Thanks[/b]

---- The Gimmicked Key ----

Far above what I was expecting. This isn't a "Tango Copper/Silver" for ten dollars, it's a high quality set of keys that will last you years and years.

Cool features:

- The silver side has a texture, so it's easy to feel it inside your hand. It's not so thick and grainy that it hurts you, or hangs on your clothing, but is just enough for that tactile sensation without peeking.

- The copper is darker and aged, so it's readily apparent even from a large distance which key is which.

- The keychain is a pop-out design for easy removal, so you don't have to strain to remove the keys, nor damage them with a lot of scratches.

---- Angles ----

The silver side of your special key can be angly, but Greg's routine is geared toward minimizing its exposure. During the copper phases, you can sit all day with the copper side up and nobody will notice a thing.

Other than that, there's zero bad angles.

---- Performances ----

I've done this about 10 times total, and gotten good reactions. Nobody screaming and running off, but very solid laughs, smiles, WTF's, etc.

---- Difficulty ----

Greg's main 5-phase routine will take you probably a good day to get down. Then a few practices on family and friends and you should be ready.

---- Conclusion ----

Greg pointing fingers at the "evil vendors", and the vendors pointing fingers at Greg is an absolute mess. If Greg really wanted a zero discount policy, he should have contacted the vendors directly and worked it out long, long beforehand. Toss on the shipping date confusion, and the whole ordeal is confusing and silly for customers.

All that aside ...

The keys are superb quality, and his DVD is full of excellent content, professional design and layout, plus great routines and ideas from a variety of top talent in the magical world today. Perfect for street magic, restaurant walk-around, entertain the guy behind you at the grocery store line, school or anywhere else.

Best of all, the package fits on your keyring and is always ready to go, taking up virtually zero extra pocket space.

Gregory Wilson's FreaKey package is well worth $95, even moreso at the $70 I paid.

If you can score it for $64 after discount with free shipping at Penguin, this package is a felony-quality steal at that pricetag.

The official spam:

[quote]
How many people carry an American half dollar or English penny especially at the same time? Exactly! Get FREAKEY and you'll be ready with a miracle in your pocket anytime, anywhere.

Two distinctly different house keys switch places repeatedly in a flashy five-phase, fast-paced, in-their-face, Monte-type routine finishing clean in the spectator's tightly-clenched fist.

FREAKEY also includes a dozen more clever and captivating bonus routines by some of magic's key players: Paul Harris, David Acer, Max Maven, Mark Jenest, Danny Archer, Michael Weber, Thom Peterson, David Gripenwaldt, and John "This-Product-Wouldn't-Be-The-Same-Without-Him" Kennedy.

Freakey comes complete with everything you need: a precision-crafted gimmicked key, an elegant easy-to-open key fob and an instructional DVD with numerous over-the-top, on-the-street performances. Put FREAKEY in one pocket and Hundy 500 in other, and you'll be ready On-The-Spot and Off-The-Cuff.

Get Freakey and you’ll never leave home without it.

"Freakey is Copper/Silver on steroids. Greg drains the brains of master magicians like Paul Harris, Max Maven, Michael Weber and even little ol' Me to bring you a modern-day masterpiece!" John Kennedy
[/quote]

[img]http://www.penguinmagic.com/images/products/soc/FREAKEY-FULL.jpg[/img]
Hello,

To all Magic Café Members,

Hocus Pocus has Freakey in stock for immediate delivery. As a special offer to all Magic Café members we are offering free shipping anywhere in the USA and as an additional bonus we will include a Magic With Markers 2 Vol. DVD set a $40.00 retail value free with any purchase made before the end of September 9/30/07. All you have to do is mention the Magic Café when placing your order online or by phone.

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Great deal Paul.
Wow, thanx for the review, sounds like a bargain with all you can do.
Hocus Pocus had my FreaKey to the door 3 days after I ordered. And my email questions were answered within the hour. Paul rocks.
That was... detailed. Very nice. I assume you can't see the etching on the 3rd key because of the angle heh.
[quote]
On 2007-09-23 20:02, DougNicols wrote:
Hocus Pocus had my FreaKey to the door 3 days after I ordered. And my email questions were answered within the hour. Paul rocks.
[/quote]

Yeah, he looks out for us.
So will the keys hold up well if I keep them on the same ring as or near my normal keys?
[quote]
On 2007-09-23 23:18, Pathian wrote:
So will the keys hold up well if I keep them on the same ring as or near my normal keys?
[/quote]

One of my concerns was the copper wearing a different pattern than the other copper, however after having it in my pocket for a few days, the difference is still invisible from any distance. Some of the guys who've owned this much longer than me can probably speak better about the wear and tear.
If only one dealer has the effect, than the price will be over $90. I'd wait until other dealers get them, as the price will come down. Or order direct from Greg.
Great review and recap of the Freakey and events leading the the release.

Mine arrived today, after import tax and customs handling to the UK, 120 dollars :), B*stard Customs. Having said that I support the price tag, don't want this in everyones hands.

But the possibilities are near limitless, the routines in particular Greg's and Danny Archers, and John Kennedys ... are fantastic. Plenty of moves covered.

A play all option would have been nice as Doug mentioned the DVD has many short sections.

A really quality product. In the future perhaps I will get a second uncut set.

EDIT: Greg's continued use of real life performances is fantastic, more DVD's should do this, you learn so much more watching performers like Greg in non studio situations, his audience handling is inspirational.
Can the keys be attracted to a magnet?
That's a KEY question
[quote]
On 2007-09-27 23:39, Enigmo wrote:
Can the keys be attracted to a magnet?
[/quote]

No
[quote]
On 2007-09-24 15:35, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
If only one dealer has the effect, than the price will be over $90. I'd wait until other dealers get them, as the price will come down. Or order direct from Greg.
[/quote]
I guess the price has come down as somebody is trying to sell theirs for $50 here at the Café.
$50? WOW. We'll have to see what happens over the next few weeks.
Are there enough keys to do Greg's "Flordia Keys" effect?

Also, my recollection of Flordia Keys is that it was published in either Magic or Genii (I know it's on his On the Spot video). Does anyone recall which issue it was in? (I may be mistaken.)

- Frank
I hope so I want this but 90 bucks? geez 60 I can see
If I found one for around $50 I'd try it.
The $50 one for sale already sold (quickly).
One sale doesn't tell much. If many show up.....

Eaby has some, but the prices are around $80.
Yap, same here; but who knows if I'll find it at the right timing when the sale is on..
A wonderful Café sponser, The Magic Warehouse has FREAKEY for $84.

[url=http://www.jdncjdjdndjjdnfkkgld/sjjjei/sidndlshehslgheyhgeniimagazine.com]FREAKEY [/url]
This site has them for $79.95 with free shipping.

http://www.bottsbeans.com/shop/index.php?productID=200
It's getting lower as more shops get them in stock. That's why it pays to wait.
COPPER and silver keys?

Surely BRASS and silver? Are there keys actually made of copper? I've never seen one.
They are Brass and Silver.
Ahhh...good. Thanks.
I've discovered a minor defect in the design of the key ring.

If you open the unit and continually turn it anti-clockwise the screw holding the thing together will seperate and fly out because it's spring loaded. You will lose both both the spring and the screw if you're not careful. This will render the unit useless.

However, the design of the keys is faultless.
Andi - Thanks for that info. I've ordered mine and it would be a drag to have it pop loose unexpectedly. I assume a few turns clockwise occasionally should do the trick. I'm curious what sort of reactions those who use it are getting?
I'd like to know the reactions. It would help if you used a copper/silver routine with coins and could compare.

Are the reactions 20 times better ( I know, hard to measure so we'll say much stronger )?

I never found coins to be a problem. I always say " I went to the coin shop down the street and they had these very old coins". Just like politcs, say it and they believe it.

I like the idea of using keys. But not at $80 if the reactions are no better than with coins.
So the only way to get them uncut is to order direct from Greg?

Are there any dealers who offer uncut?
[quote]
On 2007-10-06 12:09, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I'd like to know the reactions. It would help if you used a copper/silver routine with coins and could compare.

Are the reactions 20 times better ( I know, hard to measure so we'll say much stronger )?

I never found coins to be a problem. I always say " I went to the coin shop down the street and they had these very old coins". Just like politcs, say it and they believe it.

I like the idea of using keys. But not at $80 if the reactions are no better than with coins.
[/quote]

Considering how much you've posted in the Freakey threads, I think you should bite the bullet and just buy it.

You're clearly very interested, but sitting on the fence ... 80 dollars is a fair price, and really isn't that much either, I'm sure you spend more than that a week on other non-essentials.

Update the old. Take two key rings off a keyring and loose the whole explanation part of why you carry two out of date, coins of different nationalities in your little black purse.
I was wondering about the uncut thing too and having them cut to be actual keys you use. But then again if you were using these gimicked keys to unlock things, I am not sure about the wear and tear on them. Is it worth it?

Eric
[quote]
On 2007-10-06 13:27, kannon wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Considering how much you've posted in the Freakey threads, I think you should bite the bullet and just buy it.

You're clearly very interested, but sitting on the fence ... 80 dollars is a fair price, and really isn't that much either, I'm sure you spend more than that a week on other non-essentials.

Update the old. Take two key rings off a keyring and loose the whole explanation part of why you carry two out of date, coins of different nationalities in your little black purse.
[/quote]

I've bought more thna my share unseen over the years. Considering the history of this effect to get to market, I was very wise to wait.

Update the old? I guess we can all throw out out BOBO and Roth coin magic books? A little black purse? I don't use a little black purse. $80 is a fair price? Are you involved in the sales or manufacturing of Freakey?

Do you perform professionaly?

"kannon" until you state your full real name and have a recent photo, I'll pass on taking any suggestions from you on how to spend my money.
David Acer's performance and routine make this a great effect in my opinion. I like Keys to the Kingdom, but didn't care for the stickers. So, I was happy to see David perform his routine with these keys.

All in all, I bought the trick, and don't feel like I got ripped off. Not always the case when I buy magic... so it was a good day.

John
Message: Posted by: Gilgamesh_The_Librarian (Oct 7, 2007 03:12AM)
[quote]
On 2007-10-06 13:27, kannon wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is an interesting one because I have always been more taken with slightly unusual props than the normal looking stuff. So two out of date coins feel a little bit special whilst messing about with two keys feels like messing about in a hardware store. I get turned off the same way as I do when I see tricks with washeres etc, it all smacks a bit of desperation to do a trick with anything to hand, whether its any good or not.

that's just my personal phobia and I couldn't say that this applies to spectators at all, but its why I'll stick with my coins (and may even get a purse).
Im still not sure on wheter this is a piece that I will use all the time. Like I told someone here earlier, as far as Greg's Routine. It plays well and I do like most of the routine. Although there are move(s) that to me unless rushed seem to be [b]Ahh[/b] if you know what I mean. I still have to try this out on real audience or a few buddies. I do like David Acer's routine and maybe could be a opener for the Greg routine. if you wanted to do that. But don't get me wrong, I love my coins and as far as WHO carries a english penny and a half dollar on them every day???? Ah [b]I DO! THE MAGICIAN!![/b] LOL I always thought that statement was funny. But when it comes to coins and English pennies or Walking Liberties, well that is all patter my friend. Nice little story on why you carry those coins. But back to Freakey, I think it was the demos that had me a bit off edge with it. I like most of the demos but some I really hated because I come across those type of people all the time. (DRUNK GUYS AT THE OUTSIDE BAR) and two guys to the left of the girls in the online Demo. I don't know if I could play it off like Greg did. Now there was a demo with the guy and girl at the restaurant where they were more or less like, "YEAH OK AND?" I think it was the talk about how he owes you this much money so forth and so on. I just don't think that bit landed with the man. Now the other kids in the street where he ends up with the credit card. (WHICH SHOULDVE BEEN A BONUS ROUTINE) was my favorite demo. It showed just the right kind of reation. But I guess untill I figure out my own patter and routine with Freakey I cant give my honest opinion. So far I do like this effect and might be a great worker. Just need to try it out myself.
Paisa, thanks for sharing those gerat thoughts, Looking forward to seeing your final verdict on this effect.
[quote]
On 2007-10-07 05:27, paisa23 wrote:
"I like most of the demos but some I really hated because I come across those type of people all the time. (DRUNK GUYS AT THE OUTSIDE BAR) and two guys to the left of the girls in the online Demo. I don't know if I could play it off like Greg did. Now there was a demo with the guy and girl at the restaurant where they were more or less like, "YEAH OK AND?"
[/quote]
We've all been there and I feel your agony! I just stop playing those "tapes in my head and replace them with my own absolute outcome."
After seeing a copper/silver/brass routine, I couldn't imagine ever doing a copper/silver routine again ever. Especially since copper/silver routines have always screamed "Double-Sided Coin!" to me for some reason.
I do a copper silver routine with ungimmicked coins (a variation of Scarne's from Stars of Magic). It doesn't sream double sided coin at all since there are none used :)

I love organic props, yes, even washers. But that just suits my character. I don't care for props that look too special. Having said that, I do not feel that half dollars and English pennies are so uncommon as to not be relatable. People understand that they are real coins. I feel very comfortable using them and just don't see the need to spend the money on this particular trick. Although the bonus effects on the dvd sound very good and I am very interesting in David Acer's Keys To The Kingdom... although I can buy that by itself for $15.
[quote]
On 2007-10-08 15:36, rmendez wrote:
After seeing a copper/silver/brass routine, I couldn't imagine ever doing a copper/silver routine again ever. Especially since copper/silver routines have always screamed "Double-Sided Coin!" to me for some reason.
[/quote]

I hera what you're saying. But, I've been doing work with double sides coins for years and never had any think that's how it's done.

It's like magciians being fooled by a TT. When they find out it's a TT, they say "that'll never fool anyone".
[quote]
On 2007-10-08 15:36, rmendez wrote:
[/quote]

If you've seen Al Schneider's Spellbound, that screams double-sided, but its performed with two coins, really beautiful handling and effect, but I find some how boring (but could be a stage in a strong routine) ...I love magic to be really interactive. My c/s routine also is ungimmicked and interactive (having them handling the coins), which I think is the key to disposing of the "gimmicked" feel to more knowledgeable spectators.
Now they're down to $74.95 here with free shipping:

Have we solved the cut/uncut key issue?
[quote]

[/quote]

I would have to say that yes reactions have been better FOR ME with the keys, rather than with coins. Not 20X better, but better nonetheless. I think folks like the organic "everyday object" nature of the effect and I think the shape of the keys lulls them into a false sense that they (keys) cannot be manipulated like coins can.
The ending with the brass key in their hand is much stronger than any coin-based CS routine I have done in the past.

This item is a keeper for me.

Kevin
If you are still deciding whether to get FreaKey or not, this might push you over the edge. This place has it for $69.95 right now:

I never got this ( but am still curious ). Anyone using this in performance on a regular basis?
Christopher,
Simply put...this is one of the best investments I've ever made in a magic prop. I perform this frequently and the reactions are always strong. And yes, I also have my own Copper/Silver routine. Freakey plays very strong especially because of the big ending in Greg's routine. Honestly, I see enough of your postings to know what effects that you tend to like and you'll love this!
Jared, I appreciate your response. Knowing how you love "worker" material, your answer means allot!!
I thought this was a bit on the expensive side, but I ended up getting it anyway. The quality was well worth the price. I don't do this as often, but like Jared, I haven't regreted getting this one bit.

Hope that helps :)
[quote]
On 2008-05-15 19:33, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I never got this ( but am still curious ). Anyone using this in performance on a regular basis?
[/quote]

What copper/silver are you doing at the moment Chris?
[quote]
On 2008-05-16 11:16, kannon wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-05-15 19:33, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
[/quote]

What copper/silver are you doing at the moment Chris?
[/quote]

My own routine with a c/s coin and a @&ell.
I had this effect and just sold it, I like the coins more, I just found that the reaction with both was the same, it was very good, not better , not worse, I just felt more comfortable using the coins, it seemed less gaffy, more "real" to me. That said, it is extremely well made, and easy to do,
[quote]
On 2008-05-17 18:17, dave wrote:
I had this effect and just sold it, I like the coins more, I just found that the reaction with both was the same, it was very good, not better , not worse, I just felt more comfortable using the coins, it seemed less gaffy, more "real" to me. That said, it is extremely well made, and easy to do,
[/quote]

What an intelligent review. Dave says it's an extremely well made product, but he prefers the coins more.

Some folks pass on a product and don't say why.
[quote]
On 2008-05-17 18:38, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

What an intelligent review. Dave says it's an extremely well made product, but he prefers the coins more.

[/quote]

I thought he made it clear "why" in his post, he felt more comfortable using coins, they seemed less gaffy and more real. Not every comment about a product needs to be a multi-page review.
[quote]
On 2008-05-18 08:42, MagicAggie wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-05-17 18:38, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought he made it clear "why" in his post, he felt more comfortable using coins, they seemed less gaffy and more real. Not every comment about a product needs to be a multi-page review.
[/quote]

That's what I said.

??????????
Christopher, I think MagicAggie assumed that comment "What an intelligent review" was a sarcastic one. Which I must admit I thought it was also when I first read it, but you are giving him praise for giving his own reasoning for why he on sold the product.
It's rather odd, actually. Although I absolutely love Freakey, and find lots of uses for it, particularly in mentalism, (and without a doubt, it looks more "organic" to carry than two unusual, foreign coins), I find that people more easily intuit the MO of a 2-s***ed C/S key, than they do with a coin. Plus, with CSB coins, you have the additional gaff of a sh**l, to futher lead them down the garden path. One thing I can say, Christopher, is that I end up performing Freakey far more than I do CSB.
I like freakey too. But I don't use it as a magic trick.
I do a variation of Danny Archer's effect on the DVD as part of an "influence" routine.
It's not a trick... so they don't suspect "trick" keys.
[quote]
On 2008-05-18 21:51, millarhouse wrote:
Christopher, I think MagicAggie assumed that comment "What an intelligent review" was a sarcastic one. Which I must admit I thought it was also when I first read it, but you are giving him praise for giving his own reasoning for why he on sold the product.
[/quote]

I was praisng him. Sorry if I didn't word it corectly.

Gabe, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I think maybe that's what I've been on the fence about. I LOVE C/S/B and it would atke allot for me to change over ( pocket management is everything with me ).
Yeah, Freakey is still in the top 2 - 3 I will do and whenever I go into a situation where the magic topic will come up ... I AM prepared with Freakey. It gets great reactions. I'm currently experimenting with my own coin copper/silver ish effect as well.
The final in the hands I will use 4/5 out of five times, depending on what I've scoped out from the spectator.

And the Mental influence routine with Freakey is another great!

I find the keyring is a bit iffy and sometimes needs rescrewing. The keys are great quality, yeah perhaps they don't quite look like the standard house keys we get in the UK, but they don't attract much questions especially after they've been examined at the start of the main routine.
[quote]
On 2008-05-20 18:40, kannon wrote:

I find the keyring is a bit iffy and sometimes needs rescrewing. [/quote]

I've found this to be the case, as well. With repeated use - opening and closing the key fob - the tiny screw holding the spring will work itself out. I have to remember to tighten it on occasion. Only once has it come completely out and I was fortunate that I didn't lose the spring.

However, for those who may be considering "FreaKey" but who do not have it, I would like to stress that the key fob is NOT part of the trick. Gregory Wilson supplies it so that you have an easy, attractive means of carrying, retrieving and displaying the keys. Additionally, you can have it personalized/engraved if you want a more personal touch and/or if you need it to determine which side to open. I don't need a marking; as I always replace the keys on the ring in the same manner.

You can actually buy the same key fob or similar ones online if you buy them in bulk, (which I assume is what Mr. Wilson does), and you can find key fobs that work similarly in retail stores everywhere. My local Christian book store had some key fobs that were gold-plated with a wood inset that had a carved cross in the wood. Pretty snazzy. They work exactly the same way as the ones provided in "FreaKey." Five bucks and I have myself a more personalized key fob if the one that came with "FreaKey" ever completely gives out. But I like the fob that came with the trick; so I will use it and repair it until it finally gives up the ghost.

I love "FreaKey." I actually performed it for a friend and fellow magician today and he was pretty impressed. I expect that he will soon be stopping at his local magic shop, (which is around the corner from the radio station he works at), to pick one up.
I recently purchased Frea-key a week ago and had a chance to play with it. HEre are my thoughts\;

I really do like it. The DVD that was put together was excellent. Excellent instruction and many contributors. There are many different effects for many different performing styles. Something for everyone.

I put together many different pieces of different routines on the DVD and created my own. I was hesitant to do magic with keys, but the laypeople loved it. I was surprised. It got very very good reactions and they liked it. The best part about it is that there are a few different phases which can be done in the audience members hand. They see the front and back of each key (with a little practice) and have no idea how the keys change places.

The supplied key fob looks nice but my spring came out as well. As others have said, it's not part of the trick and was supplied cause Greg was a nice guy. I bought my own higher quality key fob and have been using that one since. Just check the spring occasionally and you will be fine. You will need a small screwdriver (the one for eyeglasses) to tighten it, etc.

The gimmicks are expertly constructed and will last a lifetime. I was concerned that it was going to be color plated, and it wasn't. No worries about that.

For those who have this, did you check out the "Frea-key Facotry tour" I can't believe Greg showsyou how to make your own Frea-key....lol. That was hilarious. He's a funny dude...

Robert Haas
I spoke to Greg and the reason he left the factory tour in was to show how much work was required to make the gaff.

Cheers!

** Bill **
Has anyone had a problem with keeping the three keys together (scratches etc)?
I am very limited on pocket space and it would be nice to keep the keys on the same key chain as the rest of my keys. Thanks in advance.
I still like using coins personally chris. I love copper/silver type tricks and I do 5 or 6 varations at any one time (just not at once) what this gives me is extreme flexablilty. for example some times I can back clip or things like. in other situtation a more edge grip handling for clean displays with friendly angles.

this also allows for other tricks that lead into the transpositions.

you guys mention c/s/b. and that's a good example. kainoa has a nice routine of a spell-bound like production where you show 3 coins in a purse and they go back back and forth from the purse has you do spellbound changes and some other goodies. this leads up to doing somthing like latta's or curtis kam's c/s/b routine.

I like freakey, but iv never been convienced its worth carrying another one trick prop. and if you take full advantage of a c/s type effect with coins I don;t beleive the keys really add anything, other then the convience of them being keys you can put on your keyring as a good with you everywhere type of thing.
The problem with coins is laymen know there are 2 s***d coins. Try flipping for a meal sometime and listen to the comments.
True that lay people think of DS coins but that is in the context of the coin being of the same type. They however have NO concept of a c/s and a sh**l.
[quote]
On 2008-06-09 21:16, Candin wrote:
The problem with coins is laymen know there are 2 s***d coins. Try flipping for a meal sometime and listen to the comments.
[/quote]

iv never once had the problem. if anything they thing two heads or somthing, nothing like whats used for this.

most every routine iv seen or done shows both sides of the coins throughout the routine.

for example (keep in mind this kind of gaff is use in this routine) in the david roth routine "copper silver classic" both sides of both coins are show 3 times.. at the beginning, the middle, and the end. if you so wanted ( but shouldn'y ) the specs could hand both coins at each of those times
Well, we all have our styles. I love magic but perform 99 pct mentalism. I only plan on performing the Danny Archer (DVD) routine or a variation thereof with the key. ITs one of those things I have tried different methods like electronics etc but something so simple which is old that I just didn't pick up on arrives.

I will anxiously await its arrival now.

PS: Thanks to JHEFF for his excellent reviews and advice.

PSS: Gabelson, I didn't forget about you either. :)
Okay I just got this today and since I perform mentalism, I tried out the Danny Archer routine for the family test only. Aside from the fact my daughter wanted to see the keys after about 10 times and wife is also suspicious, everything else was right on.

One thing I will have to check out in real world, is the lighting. I got a comment about not being able to tell the silver from the brass. Unsure if this will be a problem with different lighting environments but I do not perform in bright lighting that often.

Please let me know from anyone who has used this extensively is this is a problem. SInce the silver is rough on top, I could point this out to them if necessary.
Hi,
I have a question not sure if it has been asked.

Can the keys be carried in a Ring flight key case? Or will they get damaged or reveal anything? I just think it would be cool if you could carry two effects with one. Having the Freakey keys on my El duco ring flight.

Art
I know I just got these but I do not see how they could be damaged. I have already dropped mine on the tile floor a few times and its fine. I initially wondered if I could carry them on my regular key chain and unless someone says there is a problem later on, I think they will be fine.
Thanks Candin! Appreciate it. I've been wanting to pick this up for a long time now so I guess I'll give it a try. I want to carry these in my El Duco ring flight case so I can do my ring flight and freakey in one case :)

Thanks again,
Art
Welcome. BTW: Since the last post, I dropped the gimmicked key on a hard floor. Still solid. I did the Max Maven routine tonight and it went well. When I saw it I did not think of it as mentalism but after I tried it, it surely can be. It reminds me a bit of Richard Osterlind's BCS 2 cards to pocket in a way. You are asking the spectator which key they want to disappear. I also did a variation of the Danny Archer with a prediction laid down prior. I think the Danny Archer and Max Maven routines are the easiest to perform. :cool:
Art,
You can carry the keys on your El Duco Ring Flight Case if you want. The fob has nothing to do with the routine. Just keep the 'extra' in your jacket or pants pocket.

Jared
I been performing this a year before it was on the market. I never had a problem keeping the three keys on key fob. I actually like having all the keys scratched. I never had a problem either with the lighting because they can easily see one key is smoothed and the other rough. My best or favorite thing I like about Freakey is it looks totally impromtu, let's face it how many people actually carry an english penny with them. And the keys are my real house keys , I never leave the house without them.

JV
I carry the regular keys on my regular key ring. There's nothing sweeter than removing the keys with no set-up and having a number of excellent routines to choose from (sleight of hand or mentalism). How many magic props in your arsenal can you say that about?

-Jared
[quote]
On 2008-06-15 18:51, inidyls wrote:
I been performing this a year before it was on the market. I never had a problem keeping the three keys on key fob. I actually like having all the keys scratched. I never had a problem either with the lighting because they can easily see one key is smoothed and the other rough. My best or favorite thing I like about Freakey is it looks totally impromtu, let's face it how many people actually carry an english penny with them. And the keys are my real house keys , I never leave the house without them.

JV
[/quote]

I was thinking about the scratches and I would hope the scratches are the same on both brass keys?

Anyways, I performed this repeatedly for the first time in my paid gig tonight strolling. Nice indeed. I use it for mentalism and it played very well as a compliment to other effects.

I thought I lost the FOB for a while there, was panicking. I really like the quality of the FOB and so far the spring has not become loose.

Its on to the Hyatt tomorrow night for a group of attorneys:)
Greg Wilson performed this on Reel Magic Quarterly issue 5. It was VERY close-up and looked amazing. I mean, like real magic. I think he should have used that footage when he released it.
I posted this elsewhewre, but here it is again.

After all this time, I'm getting Freakey. It's not that I didn't think it was a good effect ( I love Greg Wilson's magic ), I was just so attached to my c/s coin routine.

I'd take the coins out of a small, leather "purse" ( Ton's Onasaka's is the best ) and tell them I'm a coin collector and just got these form the local coin shop. So, using coins was never an issue.

But, when I saw Greg Wilson perform Freakey on Reel Magic #5, I was sold in getting it. Anyone that doesn't have it, get Reel Magic and watch Greg perform it. The camera is right on his hands and you see an amazing routine.
It is a great effect. Greg does a great job in the dvd explaining every little nuance.
I'm definately interested in purchasing this - I'm watching prices - they seem to have semi-stabilized in the $75-90 range.

Only "complaint" I can imagine is wishing there was one extra key so an exchange could be made at the end and all keys examined simultaneously.

While my paid performances or street performances wouldn't have the problem, I enjoy playing with my friends/family members heads occasionally and they're all too enthusiastic with "lemme see it" requests.
Jimmy, if you order direct through Greg Wilson, you can ask him about the extra key. Greg sells the keys "uncut" so that you can get them cut to match your house key.
I never had any trouble determining which is which as with age the copper tarnishes. I do however need to pull this one back off my shelf as it went there as I was cleaning out one of my jackets. Shame on me…

Sean
One of the best $100's you can spend (or less?)... My keys tarnished nicely. I usually have this on my keychain ready to go. Sometimes I forget it's even there, but only for a brief second :)
Waiting patiently for mine to arrive. :) Any day now.
For those interested, I asked Greg via email and he said he'll send an extra key to "end clean" with for $10.00 +S&H from his gregorywilsonfx.com - just e-mail him if interested.
Good man, that Greg Wilson!
I have one of these (in just opened condition) here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=269802&forum=76

Thanks,

Sean
I have a unused, "uncut" set forsale with keyring. I have pics of these if interested.
Does anyone know where Gregory Wilson has been? I purchased Freakey from him around 3 weeks ago (on August 7th) and, as I mentioned here, he kindly offered to provide an extra key for me.

That being said, it's been quite some time and I haven't got a reply from his emails lately.

Anyone seen/heard from him lately?
How much howie3?
So no one's heard from him?
He just emailed me about my freakey today. :D apparently he was out of town! And he is really super nice! Yeah for Gregory Wilson! :D:D:D
Greg's a world class guy. whateverisisright, you heard back from Greg on this, correct?
Chris, Yep. I was just getting on here to verify that actually. There was an additional email address on the FreaKey website that I sent a msg to and I posted the msg here---Gregory said it was sent out 3 weeks ago; I just never got it. He overnighted me one FedEx. Very nice guy. Very easy to deal with. All is well and I'd have no hesitations about doing business with him again. Thanks for asking.

As for the effect itself, I'll try to make a full review of it later but in short:
Keys look great
It's so easy to do you'll be doing the basic presentation (presuming you have performing experience) by the next day flawlessly. We're talking verge-of-Scotch-And-Soda easy. Of course, you can add moves in and make it look even more convincing but the genious in this effect is how simply it is and how convincing it is, even with just the most basic of presentations.
Lots of extras on the DVD.
WELL worth the money. This is an effect I'll keep in my pocket consistantly from now on because...it's just 3 extra keys you throw on your keychain.
Jimmy, thanks for the update!
As a lurker I read the reviews took the plunge and totally love it.Mine has a manufacturing fault on a certain key but this has never been spotted touch wood.
Are you talking about the little line? I don't think that is a defect.

I enjoy my set as well, I just need to perform the piece. Take care.
Does anyone have contact info for greg?
[quote]
On 2008-12-10 14:15, flyman wrote:
Does anyone have contact info for greg?
[/quote]

If I remember correctly his e-mail is getgreg@pacbell.net

Doug
In answer to DVLKCC, My key has a bleed between the brass and silver witch is very noticable along one side,still it has never been noticed.
PS, DON'T hesetate in perfoming it this is a winner!
Love this trick. Perform it all the time. Audiences seem to love it.
I'm a big fan of this illusion and it has remained on my key ring and has gone everywhere I've gone for three years now, (though the chrome plating chipped off the key fob and the thing came apart enough that I finally just gave up and now keep the keys on a small, aluminum "S-biner" clip; which works like a charm).

The only thing that bugs me is that, (to his credit), Gregory Wilson did such a good job in coming up with a routine for this that I have been unsatisfied in anything I've come up with on my own to make it more "me." And I don't like performing illusions where my spectators are wrong. I'm out to entertain and create experiences - not frustrate or make anyone look foolish. I've performed it where I act surprised it happens...but lets face it, by the time you get to the end, feigning surprise is no longer convincing. I've also performed it so that when the spectators guess wrong, I tell them it must've been my fault...like either I messed it up or that I cheated. Both get me by, but aren't particularly appealing to me.

If anyone has come up with a method of performing this illusion without the spectator being wrong at every turn, please let me know. I'd be interested to hear about it. Other than that, (which is totally just my personal choice), this is a fantastic illusion that's well-worth every penny.
I feel the same way, Bendy. If you get a clever spectator they figure out what is going on - or at least close enough to it - and it becomes a game of trying to catch you. I don’t like doing that; it can lose its entertainment value fast. As long as you have a fairly laid back audience it goes over great. But anyone who takes such effects as a challenge can get a little worked up.

Jim
Try patter without directing a question to them. "We have the brass in this hand and the silver in this hand but every time I [insert circumstance] we end up with the brass now being in this hand and the silver in the other.

Try asking the question then redirect; "Under normal circumstances the brass would be in my left hand correct? Well this isn't normal circumstances, today we're playing with magic."

Consider, after asking which hand do they think it is in ask them, "Now if you were to be dealing with a magician, which hand do you believe the brass one to be in?"

Consider providing hints, making them as silly or as obvious and the situation dictates.
..."If you woke up and realized that your thumbs were on the outside edge of your hands, which hand would you believe the silver to be in?"
..."I am one of those types of people who ends up doing things backwards. I put the cream in before the coffee and a helmet on my head after I bang it. Which hand has ended up with the brass?"
..."I have this condition with items that are brass colored, they have been known to cause twitching." Twitch eye for a slight hint, twitch correct hand for an obvious one.

For the ones who are taking it as a challenge, put your hands behind your back and have them picture in their mind which hand will bring forth each key. Then bring your hands out, have them reveal their thoughts and reveal the keys.
I find the effect really clean and clear, if you can handle the "guilt". I've used it as a "middle" effect where I slow down, from a prior fast C/S transpo routine, and appear to use just normal items...slowly (to please the spectator). I might then close with four cards I have in my wallet ie Twisted Sisters, or do some light but amazing sponge ball magic. All the better with a final load under a hat ala Cups and Balls.
-but I digress
This is an old thread, but I think what I have to say is worth it.

First, I absolutely love this trick, and for me what makes it special is the "world's gratest magic" style of showing multiple approaches to this old effect (now done with keys) in the dvd, making the dvd really wonderful.

I think this trick is well made and awesome, but something about the keys just looked funny to me. I had always wanted to perform this trick with a keys that look completely unsupicious.

Today, I did my first batch of experimenting. I purchased a nickel electroplating kit from Caswell. I bought a brass keyblank that matches my housekey from a local place (the guy told me that it's not really brass, so I wondered if it would work. Caswell said that nickel plates just fine onto brass, but from what I understand there's some complexities when you deal with other metals, sometimes necessitating that you first plate to copper- which is a different kit).

Anyway, the intent was to plate one side of a brass key (in nickel). I accomplished this with absolute ease. The results need tweeking. The side that I plated came out completely uniform, a nice lustrious nickel color that doesn't look overdone like chrome. It looks just like a nickel keyblank. The other side, however, had its problems from the getgo. The key that I used is initially so lustrious that the shine makes it hard to distinguish from silver coloring (nickel). After plating, I think a bit of the plating made its way to the other side of the key (probably human error) giving it even more luster. There's simply not enough contrast between the nickel side of the key and the brass.

I will try again with taping off the underside of the key. Caswell had suggested that initially. I'm also wondering if these "brass" keys develop a bit of a patina which will help the effect. I think there's brass keys that have this look to begin with- a dull brass. I'm going to look into it and report back (if there's anyone listening or anyone who seems to care).

But anway, this plating stuff has just opened up a new world to me. Keys, coins, the sky is the limit.
Wait... What? I have never liked the Provided Keys AND I have two sets of Freakey. But I'm not ther arts and crafts guy to make my own.
[quote]
On 2013-06-26 22:07, paisa23 wrote:
Wait... What? I have never liked the Provided Keys AND I have two sets of Freakey. But I'm not ther arts and crafts guy to make my own.
[/quote]

I agree, wish mine were not so similar in appearance.
[quote]
On 2013-06-26 20:55, Robvs wrote:
I think there's brass keys that have this look to begin with- a dull brass. I'm going to look into it and report back (if there's anyone listening or anyone who seems to care).

[/quote]

Please do report your progress, I would like to see it... Thank you.
[quote]
On 2013-06-26 20:55, Robvs wrote:
I think there's brass keys that have this look to begin with- a dull brass. I'm going to look into it and report back (if there's anyone listening or anyone who seems to care).

[/quote]

Please do report your progress, I would like to see it... Thank you.
[quote]
On 2013-06-27 06:52, Decomposed wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-06-26 22:07, paisa23 wrote:
[/quote]

I agree, wish mine were not so similar in appearance.
[/quote]

I want to make sure you didn't misunderstand. I have no problems with the set I purchased other than the fact that I don't really like the exact shade of the color and I think the shape of the key is suspicious. A bit weird.

The first experiment I did in making my own set made a key where each side is difficult to distinguish. However, things are changing...
While I initially reported that the key I made is simply too shiny (on the untouched, brass side), I've found that after letting it sit overnight it has started to lose its shine (just a bit). If you've ever polished some of your coins from Scotch and Soda and left them sitting around with the other coins, you'll understand.

Maybe this plating experiment will work out okay.

Nonetheless, I'm going to grab some different blanks soon. I've also read some stuff about unnaturally adding a patina to brass- vinegars, ammonia, etc. I'll play and try not to blow up the house. I'll report back.

You would never believe exactly how easy it is to plate something yourself. You don't have to be artsy and craftsy. Just spend $20 on a kit that can plate probably 100 keys. A five minute phonecall to the electroplating kit company made me feel like a seasoned pro. Felt just as confident during the process. It makes the intro video that Gregory Wilson put on his dvd look even more comical. He boasts of the machinery used to create these precision keys- why? I know it was a bit "tongue in cheek," but seems like he could have made this for much less.
[quote]
On 2013-06-28 01:15, Robvs wrote:

You would never believe exactly how easy it is to plate something yourself. You don't have to be artsy and craftsy. Just spend $20 on a kit that can plate probably 100 keys. A five minute phonecall to the electroplating kit company made me feel like a seasoned pro. Felt just as confident during the process.
[/quote]

Robvs, Any information on kit you are using would be helpful.
I don't want to track down a kit that may not be as good. - David
[quote]
On 2013-07-05 14:51, Mr. Ree wrote:
[quote]

You would never believe exactly how easy it is to plate something yourself. You don't have to be artsy and craftsy. Just spend $20 on a kit that can plate probably 100 keys. A five minute phonecall to the electroplating kit company made me feel like a seasoned pro. Felt just as confident during the process.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Caswell Plug N' Plate Nickel kit SKU: PNPNK28 About 35 dollars
They sell direct from their site, though they vend on Amazon as well.

They make all kinds of kits. Their phone support is AMAZING. They are so knowledgeable. I have a feeling I'll be buying other kits for other metals in the future for other projects.

My key is "tarnishing" in my pocket with my other keys right now. My initial problem where the brass side looked too shiny has become a non-issue. However, I've realized I should have taped off the underside of the key, there is a bit of nickel on my brass edges. But not bad for a sloppy guy's first attempt.

May I suggest, the process involves wrapping some bandage on a wand and brushing it on (it's a bit more involved than that). However, I think the company sells some sort of "nub" that helps with precision work. I'd talk to them about that.
Robvs,

Thanks for the details.

David
Dittos, great info, looking forward to hear how the experiment went.

decomposing in outdoor weather
[quote]
On 2013-07-12 00:13, Robvs wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-07-05 14:51, Mr. Ree wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Caswell Plug N' Plate Nickel kit SKU: PNPNK28 About 35 dollars
They sell direct from their site, though they vend on Amazon as well.

They make all kinds of kits. Their phone support is AMAZING. They are so knowledgeable. I have a feeling I'll be buying other kits for other metals in the future for other projects.

My key is "tarnishing" in my pocket with my other keys right now. My initial problem where the brass side looked too shiny has become a non-issue. However, I've realized I should have taped off the underside of the key, there is a bit of nickel on my brass edges. But not bad for a sloppy guy's first attempt.

May I suggest, the process involves wrapping some bandage on a wand and brushing it on (it's a bit more involved than that). However, I think the company sells some sort of "nub" that helps with precision work. I'd talk to them about that.
[/quote]

You have already gone above and beyond with the help your giving. If you ever get board, a few picks of the bandaging to this would be awesome I am so visual it stinks .... But you have regained my interest in this effect that has been sitting in my Drawer.
What he said..............