(Close Window)
Topic: Tenyo 2008
OK Tenyo fans, I've found some details on 3 of the new releases:

1. Balloon Illusion - a balloon is inflated inside a tube and 2 little plastic swords can then penetrate tube and balloon.

2.Mahono Scope (Magic Scope) - This one sounds like Hypervision. The spectator selects one of 4 objects which are placed on a stand. The performer can tell which was selected on looking through the special scope.

3.Fortune Donut - The spectator selects one of 12 playing cards that are printed on a ring/donut shaped card. When the performer cuts the selection out, its back design is red, whilst the remaining 11 are all blue. Will obviously need refills.

The names of the effects may yet change for the English-speaking market.
Looking forward to these! In my opinion, most Tenyo items are either hit or miss.

Best,
Charles
[quote]
On 2007-09-24 06:24, Daniel Lander wrote:
The names of the effects may yet change for the English-speaking market.
[/quote]

Aww I like the name fortune donut.
Balloon Illusion.. hopefully clever than the regular version. Probably is. Much like their penetration frame.

Mahono Scope.. to me this sounds like a very old trick that is not made any more called Trutle Trio. The company is long out of business.

Fortune Donut.. this sounds like their dud. Much like oragami tube.

Randi
[quote]
On 2007-09-24 12:45, randirain wrote:
Probably is. Much like their penetration frame.
[/quote]

Interesting.
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Sep 24, 2007 12:06PM)
These don't sound as good as the 2007 line so far.
[quote]
On 2007-09-24 12:45, randirain wrote:
Balloon Illusion.. hopefully clever than the regular version. Probably is. Much like their penetration frame.

Mahono Scope.. to me this sounds like a very old trick that is not made any more called Trutle Trio. The company is long out of business.

Fortune Donut.. this sounds like their dud. Much like oragami tube.

Randi
[/quote]

FIrst, I saw a picture of the balloon penetration and it is insane! You can turn the tube so the spectators can look in the balloon and you can see the spikes going right thru it!

Mahano scope I think is actually based on tenyos Hyper Vision which is now discontiued.

And fouturne donut has me stumped so I would not call it a dud. I don't think this is tenyos best year but pretty good.
There is an Ebay auction which has pictures of all the 2008 Tenyo stuff. It also shows two more. One looks like a spoon bending effect and the other is a World's Greatest Magic Series effect (SPREADWAVE!). Not my auction, but I wanted to see pictures.
Cool...
I figured the balloon thing would be pretty nice.
It looks like they took something old and made it better.
Much like the penetration frame.(which is why I mentioned it)

After seeing the pics and description... Mahano scope is not Turtle Trio.
But Turtle Trio did use a scope.
I should bring that trick back. Most people have never seen it.

And Fortune Donut isn't what I thought of.
So yeah... probably not a dud.

Randi
I like the older Tenyo effects.... I often wish someone would license to remake some of them in wood, brass and non-toy looking materials. Squeeze Play with Dice an black similated coasters would be GREAT!
I have a different feeling each time when Tenyo release their annual new items...

it just keeps me have a motivation to go to Japan every year and fetch them back into my collection closet... on the other hand, since I did not buy two for each item, I cannot use them!!!

This year releases are a little bit disappointing ... but still looks interesting though...
Hit or miss, I always love this "Tenyo time of year".

Talk about a flashback! I haven't thought of "Turtle Trio" for 25 years!
OK

Now you can watch the demo of Tenyo 2008 and World Greatest Magic!

Balloon Illusion
http://www.tenyo.co.jp/magic/catalog/movie/m-15336.html

Mystic Scope
http://www.tenyo.co.jp/magic/catalog/movie/m-15312.html

Fortnue Donut
http://www.tenyo.co.jp/magic/catalog/movie/m-15329.html

Ultimate Spoon Bend (World Greatest Magic)
http://www.tenyo.co.jp/magic/catalog/movie/m-15305.html

Koji
I a disappointed in the Spoon Bend..
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Nov 4, 2007 09:43AM)
Another rip-off of the Autobend Silverware...
[quote]
On 2007-11-04 10:43, THEGUY26 wrote:
Another rip-off of the Autobend Silverware...
[/quote]

Tenyo is usally good with getting the rights to make tricks...are you sure it is a rip off?
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Nov 4, 2007 10:46AM)
It looks exactly the same, but with the pointless extra spoon.
[quote]
On 2007-11-04 11:46, THEGUY26 wrote:
It looks exactly the same, but with the pointless extra spoon.
[/quote]

What about Kornwinder car..pretty similar yet they have the right to put it out. Also it is Worlds Greatest Magic series so it would of had to come from someone elese.
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Nov 4, 2007 01:27PM)
Yeah, they do get the rights for all these effects. I never said they did a "MM (Magic Makers) steal".
I donot have the other gimmiced spoon bend, so I can not comment, but according to the instruction, created by Shigeru Sugawara.

Koji
I'm going to reserve judgment until I actually get these new Tenyo items in my hands and then show them to some spectators. There are a few Tenyo items that aren't always viewed very well but I've found that for my audience (kids in school) they go over very well. I like the fact that so many of them are so simple to do that you can really have a lot of fun with them.
I bought the balloon illusion and it is great. Totally examinable at the beginning [if you are into that ] and at the end.
Nothing added or taken away. This is really good.
Thanks Koji-san!
James
Who is the best Tenyo dealer on the net? Any recommendations?
[quote]
On 2007-11-20 09:53, Kjellstrom wrote:
Who is the best Tenyo dealer on the net? Any recommendations?
[/quote]

Koji Takada. PM me for details.
James
I only have chance to see the Ballon Illussion and it is great trick...simple yet effective. Need review for others .
What happened to the demos? The links no onger work.
I have Fortune Donut and Mystic Scope
Both are interesting but I think it fair to say probably not quite the standard of
previous Tenyo vintages in my opinion.

Fortune donut is clever principle to generate an interesting new effect
theres something very permenant about cutting out the chosen card from the donut
However, the work happens at a tricky time in the routine and is demanding. However, my main criticism would be the size of the cards printed on the donut card...they are quite small.

Mystic Scope is another interesting principle to generate an interesting effect-i just cant see me ever using it...its fiddly and perhaps somewhat obvious?
Link:
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=9090

This Spoon Bend is the worst purchase I have made in a very long time!!
The idea is nothing new. Mine didn't function properly (apparently it will eventually, with wear), the g*****k is totally impractical and was distorting within 10 mins of using it.
The annoying thing is that I bought it on impulse and in place of something I have been after for a long while. :(
Steer clear!

Paul Mc.
[quote]
On 2007-11-26 18:59, Cameron Francis wrote:
What happened to the demos? The links no longer work.
[/quote]

Here is balloon illusion.

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=CbYIXGk9XqM
[quote]
On 2007-11-20 05:41, Xiqual wrote:
I bought the balloon illusion and it is great. Totally examinable at the beginning [if you are into that ] and at the end.
Nothing added or taken away. This is really good.
Thanks Koji-san!
James
[/quote]

Do the balloons come with it? Can this be done with the spectators very close?
Yes, balloons and pump come with it...I just received mine today. It's not worth what I paid for it from Hank Lee's...I love the method, even more powerful if you can have someone right there to see the spikes going through it...I'll be performing it tomorrow night with my new balloon routine...but someone save me from the plastic...
We do have all 4 new Tenyo releases in stock at http://www.wonderwarehouse.com for immediate shipment.
[quote]
theres something very permenant about cutting out the chosen card from the donut
However, the work happens at a tricky time in the routine and is demanding. However, my main criticism would be the size of the cards printed on the donut card...they are quite small.
[/quote]

I like the Fortune donut effect. Can you hand out the little cut out card for examination after the trick? And is there any information about getting refils especially in Europe?
If the plastic parts of the balloon illusion bother you, this could be made by you out of home depot supplies as well. Like using a metal or pvc tube and super large nails. Of course you'll need to buy the product first either out of respect for the creation, or because you need to know the secret.
[quote]
On 2007-12-09 06:21, RobMaastricht wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I like the Fortune donut effect. Can you hand out the little cut out card for examination after the trick? And is there any information about getting refils especially in Europe?
[/quote]

It seems quite obvious there will be no refills for the 'donut' - there is quite a stack in the box. Use what you've got then buy a complete new one... Pity really, imagine using a paperclip or small clothes peg; but due to mechanics (rest of the ring turning blue) this would be impossible if the selection was not removed out of the circle.

The balloon effect looks excellent - may get this one...

[b]GS[/b]
As for the balloon illusion...I felt like I was performing with a toy...I didn't really like the feel of it as a prop. Probably will by Owen Magic Supreme's version.
I have compe up with an improved routine for mystic scope
pm me if interested?
I received the Balloon Illusion 2 days ago. As Tenyo products seems to lack originality these days, I don't expect much from this too, despite hearing good reviews about it. But upon knowing the secret and playing with it, I must say it is one of tenyo's best tricks to date! The illusion of the spikes going thru the balloon is so realistic that it had me laughing and playing with it all night! If Tenyo could make a professional version of this (away from the plastic version), I believe it will sell like hot cakes!
I gave mini reviews on all 2008 Tenyo products, I'm a big tenyo collector!!

http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=245379&forum=109&0
I, as I'm sure everyone else, have quite a love hate relationship with Tenyo. I always have loved the flashy "new toy" aesthetic of their products, but 99.9% of the time have ended up purchasing their effects to only have them sit by the wayside collecting dust or (even worse), show them to someone only to have that horrid look of "wow that's a real neat trick you have there" since they appear as "tricks" from the moment they're displayed.
Keep in mind Tenyo's target market: These are items which sell at some of the leading toy shops in Japan. They are not targeted to magicians per se, but for people who would buy magic from a retail outlet for all the reasons one might buy magic at a retail outlet - casual interest, curiosity, a gift for a youngster, to discover the secret of a trick just demonstrated.

When you consider this, then what they are releasing is truly amazing. The methods are original and do not end up exposing "professional magic effects." They are self contained. They require no skill. They can be examined. They have great shelf appearance and are a substantive purchase. (As opposed to buying a card with a few strands of invisible thread wrapped around it for $20.)

The fact that these items intrigue us (and bring us joy) as "real magicians" is just a pleasant by-product.

Brad Henderson
Crap...I just ordered Prison Box and Fortune Donut
Geez...I just ordered four more. Like most of the people here have said, I wouldn't do these in a professional gig but they're incredibly fun and clever "magic toys" and I'll enjoy showing them to my co-workers, friends and family.

Just for the record I bought the following:
Prison Box
Fortune Donut
Sakkaku Scale
Credit Surprise
Mystic Blackboard
President Cabinet
[quote]
On 2008-02-12 17:59, ixnay66 wrote:
Crap...I just ordered Prison Box and Fortune Donut
[/quote]
Prison Box is great..
I used to have that trick (Invisible Zone?) where you put a pen through a card-sized "chamber" and then open the door and the pen can't be seen. It was a VERY good illusion and I'm bummed I can't find it. I might just buy it again. I like the idea os illusions in miniature like that. Sure, it's the box that makes it happen but that's true with most large scale illusions too. Crystal Cleaver is another I might need to pick up to put on my desk at work.
Or Credit Surprise...The demo looks really good....
Ixnay66,
Actually in the effect The Invisible Zone you stated "it's the box that makes it happen". In this effect it is not the box that makes it happen, it's the pen.
It is a great effect though.
[quote]
On 2008-02-15 23:05, Rennie wrote:
Ixnay66,
Actually in the effect The Invisible Zone you stated "it's the box that makes it happen". In this effect it is not the box that makes it happen, it's the pen.
It is a great effect though.
[/quote]
I apologize, the box does a little something also...
Rennie
[quote]
On 2007-12-04 18:42, caigy wrote:
Link:
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=9090

This Spoon Bend is the worst purchase I have made in a very long time!!
The idea is nothing new. Mine didn't function properly (apparently it will eventually, with wear), the g*****k is totally impractical and was distorting within 10 mins of using it.
The annoying thing is that I bought it on impulse and in place of something I have been after for a long while. :(
Steer clear!

Paul Mc.
[/quote]

I thought the gimmick was very cool! Its not bad if you practise it for 5 minutes...
I've finally got hold of the four 2008 releases...

My least favourite is easy - the Spoon Bend; awkward handling, and a gimmick with the durability of an eggshell in a hurricane.

My favourite is probably Fortune Donut - a diabolically sneaky method that doesn't rely on sliding plastic compartments, springs, and swivelling switches, (not that there's anything wrong with that!) The only downside is the necessity for refills.

Balloon Illusion I also like. A very direct and fun illusion.

Mystic Scope is a great collection of premium Tenyo-grade plastic paraphernalia, but as an update of Hypervision, simply lacks originality. A great diversion for friends and family though.