(Close Window)
Topic: Cleaning close up pads...
What do you guys do to keep your close up pads clean? Mine always looks like heck!
Shake, brush, clean with mild soap and water (if it is of the synthetic variety)...Don't use it as a place mat!

Cheers!
Or let your wife use it as a mouse pad.

:hysteric:
The thing I started doing that makes the biggest difference for me is covering my close-up pad when not in use. This keeps dust off the pad. Yes I know you can clean the dust off with a roll of tape but if you keep the dust off it to start with you don't have to clean it.

Besides dust, when needed I take my pad and wash it with soap and water to get out any other mess that might get on the pad (spilled soda).
I find a Billiard table brush works great.
I only use soap and water if it is absolutely necessary.
Laundry spray works like a gem. It removes all those dirt marks left by the kids that stomp all over it. :coolspot:
If mine is clean but has a lot of fuzz on it, I found duck tape works really well to get the fuzz off.

XX
I use a [i]Pet Roller[/i], the kind designed to remove hair from your clothes, works like a charm. I keep one in my close-up case at all times. Also comes in handy when wifes use your mat for a mousepad. I won't name any names, but... :genielamp:
I made my own close up pad/table and found the best way to keep it clean it the lint roller that Steve mentioned or a "lint shaver" if it starts to look shaggy. The surface of mine is a simple black velvet.
I agree with Steve. A lint roller is the way to go. 3M manufactures them; and they can be found at almost any big box housewares store like Linens N' Things; and quite a few supermarkets.

And the best part is, they only cost $4-5 a new pad would run you $10-15.
Another bar magician suggested to me to by a spray can of "Scotchguard" as soon as you get your pad. I think you can get that stuff at Target or any place like that. You spray it on, and then it becomes much easier to clean later on. Also, I keep my pad secured inside the lid of my close up case, and laid flat. That way no dust gets on it.

Lincoln
Hi, I use mouse mats. They are cheap and easy to get hold of. If it gets dirty then throw it away.

Presentation is everything - we don't do magic with dirty hands so why with a dirty pad.

Paula
I remember seeing a brilliant magician build his "for magician's only" act around a very subtle obsessive-compulsive picking of lint from his pad. It took awhile for the joke to set in, and it was hilarious!
That wasn't Billy McComb actively wool gathering?

Bob
Magic By Sander
Need those lint rollers you can get everywhere.
For spots and stains use foam auto uphostery cleaner. Many close up pads are only auto headliner anyway!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Get Trevor Duffy's close up pads and you just throw them in the wash! The easiest to clean, by far!
I use a Pet Roller too.
As stated earlier, Trevor Duffy's close up pads are WASH and WORK. And come out very nicely.
I have used many items
Pet Brushes work well... and Soap faded my close-up pad but I would by far recomend going to the dollar store and picking up a lint brush for a dollar. Cheap AND effective
Not a washing question, but anyone dealt with creases? I have a pad that was folded in half in a close up case for a bit, and so now has a little bit of wrinkled-ness along it's middle. I folded it in half the other way, and then rolled it up, which helps some, but it's still not like it used to be. I'm hesitant to iron it. Sadly, I don't remember which brand it is. Is this pad a lost cause? Thanks.

Kevin
Kevin,
I got another Trevor Duffy pad in the mail a few weeks ago, it had been folded for a few days in the mail, so it had a crease. It took about a week for the crease to dissapear, but it's finally gone. There was a warning sticker on the mat that said not to leave it folded overnight, maybe that's why! If your mat is washable, you might try that. Or, it might just need a few days to open up. Otherwise, if it's been folded in the case for several weeks, months, years, etc., you might be in trouble!
good luck!
To clean many close up pads you can use regular dish soap. First get area damp and then use a little soap (dawn works great) and water on a cloth, lightly rub area and then rub again with plain water to get the soap out. Dry with towel and let air dry. You can also aue rubbing alcohol on certain materials. This is how we clean our mats at PMS Pattricks Magical Services, manufacturer of some good stuff.Pattrick Przysiecki

Close up mats should NEVER be creased or folded. There are many layers in a pad rubber, fabric, cushion or padding and glue,(yes glue counts as a layer). When you fold it that creases all that stuff together and wrecks it. The best way to carry your pad other than flat is to roll it fabric side out. This will stretch the material rather than crunch it. Pattrick Przysiecki