(Close Window)
Topic: My audition at the Magic Castle
Tonight was my membership audition at the Castle. I was not nervous at all while sitting at the bar waiting for my name to be called. I had practiced my effects and was confident that I would make it in.

They called my name and I began to walk downstairs to meet 8-10 people waiting to judge me...so far so good. I took a seat in the spotlight and BAM a wave of nervousness hit me like a tidal wave.

They asked me about my background in magic and then asked me to perform.

I stood up and started to do the Chicago Opener, but when I got to the part where I flip over the red card to show that it was the selection I missed "the move". I was shaking so bad that I couldn't perform the l**t correctly. I took a deep breath and said "wow I am really nervous, let's try that again" and this time I did it correctly, shaky but correct.

Now I performed Hundy 500, I did this one perfect, then they stopped me and asked me to wait upstairs.

I felt horrible, I was sure I would be denied, but to my surprise I am now a member!

After hearing the news I spoke to a couple of the judges that reassured me that everyone is nervous and not to worry about it.

I am so exited, I have been dreaming about this since I first started doing magic.
Congratulations,welcome to the academy of magical arts. Sounds like you did just fine. You demonstrated that you were more than just a curious beginner at magic, that is all they really require. Next time you see Gay tell her "cous" says Hi.
Congratulations, that's brillant, I'm so happy for you :yippee:
Well done, affilius!
Congratulations - yours went way better than mine.

Back in the mid to late 70s I was in my teens and did a lot of dove work, parties, I built my own Zig Zag, Sub Trunk - few other things. I wanted to join as a full member as I still dablle as a hobby and am fascinated with History.

I was never a close up person - but in my case I have no have archival video to show them so I'm stuck doing close up. My friend who is a member told me the same thing as mentioned above - "They are looking for dedicated interest". Well Gay Blackstone was there and right off the bat she starts grilling me about my Zig Zag - and comes across like she's the keeper of the Zig Zag dynasty. I did some basic rope stuff, rings, and a card trick with a really good Phoenix Shuffle.

Guy takes me upstairs and says all my stuff is pretty standard routines, nothing original. I felt like they were judging me to perform in the Close Up room. Not was I was told to expect.
Affillius.. welcome to the club.

kenb123... so did you get in?