(Close Window)
Topic: What College/University did/have you attended?
Just out of curiosity, where did you go for college?

I'm currently a student at Lehigh University
any magic conventions in the Lehigh Valley area?
Never spent a day in College. My parents told me that college was for people who were going to be doctors or lawyers and since I wasn't going to be a doctor or a lawyer there was no need to go to college. Thanks guys!
This of course made high school a breeze as all I had to do was get the minimal passing grade in whatever classes I took and didn't have to worry about taking the right type of classes or studying for the SAT's or applying for scholarships.
It all worked out in the end though as I found a job in the burgeoning IT field back when you really didn't need a college diploma to land a job.
S. U. N. Y. College at Purchase.

Great place for the liberal arts while being around the theater/acting/film/arts/music students to get a well rounded education

:)
U.S.C.
U.C., San Francisco (graduate)
University of Gloucestershire- Post-graduate
Multiple colleges:

University of New Mexico
University of Maryland
Connors State
Northeastern State University
I am a graduate of Whatsa matta U in Frostbite Falls MN. class of 1968
[quote]
On 2007-10-03 22:07, Al Angello wrote:
[/quote]

Your university's name sounds like "Whats a matter with you?"
I've been to Three

Georgia Military
St. Leo university

And I am now Attending The University of South Carolina, Aiken Campus.
[quote]
On 2007-10-03 22:34, palmtreemagic! wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Your university's name sounds like "Whats a matter with you?"
[/quote]
DUH!

Rocky and Bullwinkle ...
Oklahoma University, University of Georgia. I went to a prestigious prep school and am considered a complete failure by their standards by the way.

I would like to state that for the most part college is for seasoning and parties and unless you are going into engineering, medical, or law you'll find most employers will have to take up to two years to remove what ever you learned from your skulls. Also if you are getting degrees in drama, literature, theater, film, liberal arts, art, physical anything, stuff like that you really owe your parents an apology and to pay them back. My favorite story came from a corporate controller, great guy, when his daughter graduated from UCLA with a degree in literature (with a focus on the 18th century American writers, meaning Mark Twain). She graduated and right after the ceremony, still in her robe, she tells her dad "I can't get a job other than teaching and I hate kids! I have to go back to school!". Hee hee. She went to diplomate school and now attends embassy parties as a job. In case your wondering my degree was in history and I've never done a thing with it other than be able to discuss the way Britain was built.
Belmont University in Nashville, TN
19th Century.
Yea, I can't believe some people pay $45,000+ a year for learning stuff you'll never need to use
[quote]
On 2007-10-04 00:47, palmtreemagic! wrote:
Yea, I can't believe some people pay $45,000+ a year for learning stuff you'll never need to use
[/quote]

I've actually met people who got a little upset when they found out I never went to college.

"But your just as smart than I am!" They would protest.

"Yes I am" I would retort "And I haven't any student loans to pay back either" Which makes me smarter I guess.
Companies started by guys who had not graduated college include lil' guys like Apple Computer and Microsoft. I knew a number of high tech managers, directors, and VPs who never went to college. What is kind of sad is my former company, which fired me when they shut down operations along with a thousand other people, has one division left in California. They hired a senior manager and he will not hire anyone who does not have a degree. Doesn't care about experience or any of that stuff. My sister was up for planning manager job but wasn't considered because she isn't a college graduate, she only has worked in the department running a production line for 27 years. The manager who was transfered to Marketing doesn't have a degree, in fact the only person who does is the worse planner they have. In fact with the exception of that one employee the entire department would NOT be qualified for any of the jobs they work in and excell in. It should be noted that the average pay for these non college grads is about $70,000 a year. I've learned over the years to never look down on someone because they didn't go to college because that is absolutely not a measure of intelligence or ability or accomplishment. I also don't look up to those that are grads because it just means a couple things for most of them, they had the time and money to go, that is it. Myself included. I got lucky in the Navy and was on shore and had the time to go and nothing else to do.

Do I think you should go to school? Yes, for the parties and social aspect and because it will give you an edge on getting a job. As for that 'grads make far more than non grads' that is true if you compare an engineer to a guy working at K Mart. In lots of businesses the diploma means nothing after hiring you. Just don't be snotty because your boss could well have not gone.
Thomas A. Edison State University, Marquette University, Ottawa University, Texas Tech University, Wayland Baptist University, Univ. of Arizona, Holy Cross, South African Theological Seminary, St.Andrews, um...I think that is most of them.
[quote]
On 2007-10-04 03:41, photius wrote:

Thomas A. Edison State University,

[/quote]

Ironic for a man who never went to college, or really had much of any formal education (he was home schooled after being called addled by a teacher at the age of twelve) to have a University named after him.
For me school is a personal Goal. I have always wanted a degree.

Payne, that is an ironic fact. Thanks for sharing.
I believe the following to be reliable, though it's been years since I read it and I can't remember where:

Before WWI, approximately 3% of people in the United States attended post-secondary institutions. Half of those were studying to be clergy.

Think about it. 3%. The world didn't fall apart back then, nor was it in danger of doing so.

Of course, who am I (or Santa or Payne) to say that you shouldn't go if you want to be an engineer or a teacher or a doctor or a lawyer or a scientist or a priest? The others are probably wasting their money. And some day the whole edifice is going to come crashing down, because people are going to figure this out in large numbers. Eventually, economic efficiency will win out, and it's just not efficient to pay people more to do a job because they spent four or five years learning information not relevant to that same job. Higher someone four years younger, pay them less, and train them yourself.

That's the future.

Maybe.

I guess there are actually some irrational factors at work, like going to experience those parties that Santa spoke of.

Jeff

P.S. I'm not listing the schools I attended, but I *did* go, and I'm glad I did. For me it was life-changing. If that makes me a hypocrite, so be it.
Johnson County Community College and Washburn University; I also went through Disney University, but that's another matter.
College should be 2 years of basics, and the last two years of OJT. All the BS I learned in nursing school got thrown out the window the first day on the job. I'd much rather have a person with experience than a degree.
Can't beat the school of hard knocks with professors trial and error.
[quote]
On 2007-10-04 10:50, Payne wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-10-04 03:41, photius wrote:

Thomas A. Edison State University,

[/quote]

Ironic for a man who never went to college, or really had much of any formal education (he was home schooled after being called addled by a teacher at the age of twelve) to have a University named after him.
[/quote]
Its in New Jersey, Edison's home base, so the state likes promoting things with his name.
Palmtreemagic!
In some quarters irony is a source of humor. You have an uncanny perception of the obvious.
Lansing Community College
Michigan State University
Emory
Georgia State
Cornell
SHK

No degree just a lot of learning, more than I'll ever remember. ;)
I can find a sense of pride in that I was, for the most part, self educated...including attending High School but 42% of the time. It was a conscious decision when I realized the High School I was attending was geared to the bottom feeders and that I had an aversion to someone at a blackboard telling me about what I could be out finding out for myself. I only got a diploma because I showed up and passed their pointless tests. I spent time in Museums helping curators (cleaning bones in some cases or just sweeping up the labs)...filming 8mm
surgeries in the local zoo...volunteering at a large stables in caring for the horses...hunting fossils (and later digging dinosaur in Drumheller)...making movies in my homebuilt studio in the basement...I was way too busy for school which I had come to really dislike and viewed as a big waste of time because I was learning crap.

Over the years I have written a couple of books, had weekly columns, recieved awards in Broadcasting Excellence as well as (ironic as it sounds) commendations from a school district for setting an example for students in proper pronunciation and use of the English Language. I have an article in an Encyclopedia (no not wiki, Astronomical)...I hold regular conversations with PHD types across the web with out a stumble, peer to peer...UNTILL (and here is the point of all the above)...UNTILL I mention that I never went to school other than High School. Suddenly many good conversations just sort of end. (Yes, even on the Café...school snobs I guess) The fact that after High School I tested in the top 2% and went direct into the Army Security Agency under the NSA specializing in space technologies and electronic countermeasures (against the former Soviet Union) all carries no weight with those that think you need to be brain washed by some Professor who is no more than passing on the stuffy information he/she had read about or had been handed down. The real teachers are in the field where the work is being done.
Binge drinking and nightly sex escapades are what most of the folks are paying for...oh and cramming useless information into rubberized skulls. Not going to be a Doctor? Not going to be a Lawyer? Take the money and tour Europe...sign on to a dig in Egypt or the Canadian Plains of Alberta...buy books.

I don't wish to offend those who tout College and University attendence, it's great for many I guess but just to let those who can't go or don't want to go or HATE school as I did that it doesn't mean a life of flipping burgers...it does mean the occasional glance down an upturned nose...but then, so what. :)

Your milage will most likely differ...
Antioch College, California Institute of Asian Studies, and Indiana University, post-graduate work.
Didn't the Asians get nervous with you studying them?
Not after I accidently broke chopsticks at tea ceremony. And it was the lunches and dinners I had with Bishop Nippo Syaku and his wife who helped formulate me within the formal education. Thank you for asking.
Cal State U @ Fullerton (English undergrad)
UCLA School of Law.

Not to mention National Bartenders School
Not to mention National Bartenders School
[/quote]

I so want to go there. That place sounds so cool,

Diane
I love law, I really do, I think it is logical as heck and I like that. But dang, lawyers are like those lil' white pellets in bean bag chairs. Just dump one out in your garage and years later they will still come rolling out of no where when you least want 'em. There are so many lawyers, I mean huge numbers, and they have to find things for them to do and it is like a those dang pellets. Either way UCLA is an excellent school.
I did do Bartenders School a few years ago. It was kind of fun...but it was hands on with glasses of PAINT subbing for Milk or cream. No real booze and it smelled horrible so it really didn't give an accurate impression of what a drink should look like or smell like. (Didn't taste 'em) Graduated with honors even though I didn't feel I knoew what the hell I was doing. haha...but never went for a job. I had to have a couple of hundred drinks memorized and on call at a moments notice but thoday I cant remember a single one of them. 'Paint on the Beach' anyone?
Doug, just imagine...

"Higley's House of Turpintine"

It will the the new celeb hangout in Cali.

Brett.
I can picture all the guys out there with their degrees in theater, or working on one, just vibrating in anger wanting to respond here but just don't have the time as they prepare to head out to their gigs as a McDonalds manager. I have a nephew at San Francisco State right now and planning on a degree in film (which they don't have at SF State but his mommy thinks they have some close enough). His poor father is still hoping he'll change his mind after getting general ed out of the way.
A couple of weeks ago I was at my usual drinking my usual with a buddy of mine, and in walked 40 kids--obviously a group of students here for what's known as "O-phase" (Orientation phase). Generally, the kids spend a couple of weeks with other kids studying the same thing, getting to know things like where the library is and such, as well as sampling the local bars.

So anyway, I'm curious, and I ask one of them, "So what'y'all studying?" He said, "Economy Engineer". My buddy and I had a few more trying to figure out what that means. But it probably has more future in it than a degree in theater.

"Economy Engineer"? Sounds vaguely Stalinist, doesn't it?

Jeff
Myself, I went to U of Western Ontario in London, Ontario, then to U of Toronto.

[quote]
On 2007-10-06 05:24, stoneunhinged wrote:

So anyway, I'm curious, and I ask one of them, "So what'y'all studying?" He said, "Economy Engineer". My buddy and I had a few more trying to figure out what that means. But it probably has more future in it than a degree in theater.

"Economy Engineer"? Sounds vaguely Stalinist, doesn't it?
[/quote]
Economy engineering = engineering economy. Funny sounding name, either way.

http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/econ/enecon.htm

"Engineering economy, the analysis of the economic consequences of engineering decisions, was originated by A. M. Wellington in his The Economic Theory of Railway Location, published in 1887. Engineering economy is now considered a part of the education of every engineer."

http://www.htwm.de/stu-engl/ww/economy.htm
If colleges are graduating thousands of Marine biology majors every year where do they all go to work? I think the answer is the assistant night manager of McDonalds.
Yup. I know one marine biologist and he owns the cleanest and best run fish stores (you know, sells aquariums and tropical fish etc) I've ever seen. Think about it, astronomers jobs are few. What it comes down to is a lot of companies don't care what the degree is in when hiring for business jobs (non engineering), which kind of tells you what they think of the disciplines. Liberal Arts is popular among companies because they actually learned less than others and need less deprograming.
Does it ever cross anyones mind to just reply in the affirmative when asked if they have a degree? No one ever asked me to see a HS Diploma...just did you graduate...Yes.

End of story.

There is a really interesting article on Wilkipedia about Pragmatism and the asscociated Philosophies. I bet dollars to donuts you could get any job that requires a degree (in something not specified) by reading that, becomming familiar enough for any random questions and just reply Yes, Philosophy Major on the job ap.

No one will ask to see it...no one really gives a crap! It's just a knee jerk question for most companies.

Take your 45 grand and head for Tahiti and study French Colonialism first hand. I'll go with you and mentor. :)

We all seem to forget how successful we were in grammer school Lit. because of Classic Comics...the principle is sound.
TCU

Go, Horned Frogs!
Once upon a time, I was a professional bartender - we didn't go to school to learn how to mix, pour and slam - we just learned the club recipes and rolled with it.
I attended the Father Sarduchi College.

He teaches evera ting youa gonna rememba five years afta you grad-e-ate froma real col-aga. Ita take bout five minnas, and one an a hav minnas isa for registration and graduation. Costa $20 dollas
Oh! Oh! Oh!

I remember him, and I remember his curriculum.

Economics.

"Supply ana demanda."

Great, great stuff. Thanks for the memory, Bill.

Jeff
I cheer for Blugold and Bulldog!
And, thanks to Bill reminding us of Father Guido Sarducci, here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO8x8eoU3L4

Jeff
:)

Anyone find a clip of him wearing the mouse ears?
Doug, believe it or not I had an interview at Amazon.com and they asked for proof of highschool graduation. They said everyone has to show it. I had not seen my diploma in over 25 years when I put it away somewhere. I had to have proof sent to me from the school.
Wow...after literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of job aps, I never got asked.

Mine is a bizarre story (naturally)...because I only had 45% attendence the Principle set a rule that the only way I could get my diploma was to be employed for 2 years without missing a day. So I joined the Army. haha. ( Impossible to miss a day...even when you miss a day) They sent it when requested.

At Graduation I just got a blank piece of paper and that's when I also found out about the 'deal' to get the real one. What a Shmuck. My dad was peed off (as usual) but I had decided I wouldn't be seeing him again anyway so it was a GREAT trade off.
Yeah, I couldn't believe it, I had never been asked before for any reason. I had to request the school send a letter with my transcripts etc.. Amazon will not even talk to you with out the proof.
I attended the School of Hard Knocks.

I still haven't been able to gradumate!
College is for suckers.
Cal State University Dominguez Hills
Fuller Theological Seminary
St Michael Seminary
L.A.I.S.P.S.(a Pyscho Analytical Institute in Los Angeles)
Pyscho Analytical Institutes in Los Angeles is for suckers.

I prefer ignorance.
I think I have to agree that anything called the Pyscho Analytical Institues in Los Angeles is for suckers. Right up there with the John F Kennedy University which features a degree in ghost hunting.
Whoa there, Santa! Don't knock a ghost hunting degree! I'd get one if I were 25 years younger and not sure what to do with my life.
Perhaps one can complete a Parapsychology with ESP learning :) Anyone seen 1408 the latest by Steven King?
I graduated from North Central State College with an associate’s degree in computer programming.

My high school GPA was 3.98. My college GPA was 3.95.

Quite honestly I have to say that Doug Higley has some very valid points. All that education has done little to nothing to help me in the real world. I'm not trying to discourage the Café's younger members from studying hard (by all means do!), just try to keep everything in perspective.

At my day job right now I'm a project manager. I know people with master’s degrees who are making less than I do. I know high school dropouts who are making a lot more. In the business world it's all about the social network. Like it or not, it really is *who you know*. What you know is totally non-important... Google does a great job at filling in knowledge gaps.

Honestly... A quick internet search and a trip to my Barnes and Noble have proven more useful than a lot of my classes.

Truly... Don't let your schooling interfere with your education.
Kids, college does have value if you get the opportunity to go do so. It will typically increase your value in the workplace in general, kinda, but it will delay you having to enter the rat race for a few years and that is always good.
Do know that if you get degrees in any of the goofy fields (theater, drama, stuff like that) we reserve the right to laught at you forever. So go to school, keep a level head, and have fun. If you go and don't have fun then you just wasted your time.
Stoneunhinged

Thanks for the Clip!! Didn't think of YouTube. I still love this guy. Doesn't depend of toilet or sex humor. A real comic master.
Josh and Santa -
suckers? pm me.
Blessings +++,
Rich
College of the Atlantic (Bar Harbor, Maine) '95

School is just like anything else, you get out what you put in. I had a great time at COA, learned a good deal of social skills, how to work with committees, some nice theater work, some good arts understand, didn't take away much math and science knowledge.

Michael
[quote]
[/quote]

Old Dominion University in Norfolk, VA... not that it matters... I would have rather gone where Al went. (Al, your reply has me searching for a DVD set of the Rocky and Bullwinkle shows... I hope I find them).