(Close Window)
Topic: Calling All Beatles Fans!
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Oct 13, 2007 01:09PM)
Welcome, and thanks for joining in on the Beatlemania Fun! Let's talk about our favourite Beatles songs, our opinions on the Beatles, and even our thought on the new movie Across The Universe!

Personally, I loved Across The Universe as it supplied some fabulous renditions of classic Beatles tunes. And as for my favourite Beatles songs, I would say "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Because".
My favourite Beatles songs are:

Revolution
Get Back
Strawberry Fields Forever
The Long & Winding Road
I love the Beatles too!

I have several favorite songs here is a short list.

Help,Paper Back Writter.Tax Man,Revolution I like the slow version the best ( I think that was called Revelolution#1)

Randy
My favs from back then are:
Sympathy For The Devil
Wild Horses and
Riders On The Storm
Yesterday
Nowhere Man
The Fool On The Hill
Come Together
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite

I first heard Strawberry Fields Forever the first time I shared a bowl of Acapulco Gold so there's some sentimental feelings there. ;)
I saw "Across the Universe" last night. INCREDIBLE film. I absolutely loved it. Very artistically done.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Oct 14, 2007 11:12AM)
I second that. most notably, Strawberry Fields was the best scene from an artistic perspecative.
Yes, yes, I feel that The House of the Rising Sun surpassed anything the Beatles did. Their Quadafenia (sp) album, other than motivating those silly Manson people, just brought the vocal skills of those moppets to the forefront of artistic expressionism in a transgender way.
YELLOW SUBMARINE!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Beatles produced pop music....that is it.
What are you talkin' about MagicSanta? :lol:
You're either kidding, were totally stoned or asleep during those years or just getting forgetful in your old age.
Quadrophenia was a Who album. Helter Skelter was the Manson favorite. :)

Sure, the Beatles did pop. They also did songs that didn't make radio back then.
More than anything it's the variety of songs they did that appealed to people from many different walks of life.

My group of friends were more into groups like the Grateful Dead, Traffic, Velvet Underground, the Kinks, Steppenwolf, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Mountain and others that got less radio play than the Beatles.

House of the Rising Sun by the Animals is one of my all time favorite classics.
The Beatles were a chicks group.... The song Strawberry Fields is high art? Pullleaze.... another example of the children trying to sit at the big table. I'm a Stones and Who guy, even though The Who started out as mods.

My answers were a test, only you passed Jaz....
Rubber Soul, my favorite Beatle album.
I also like so many of their songs like Eight Days A Week.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Oct 14, 2007 07:56PM)
[quote]
On 2007-10-14 19:57, MagicSanta wrote:
The Beatles were a chicks group.... The song Strawberry Fields is high art? Pullleaze.... another example of the children trying to sit at the big table. I'm a Stones and Who guy, even though The Who started out as mods.

My answers were a test, only you passed Jaz....
[/quote]

You're kidding right? Unless you've seen the movie Across The Universe as well, you cannot comment on my thoughts.
I'll tell you how much the Beatles we around when I was a kid (and my stupid sisters would scream at them on TV). I don't like 'em and there isn't a Beatle song I don't know the words to on the radio.
[quote]
On 2007-10-14 20:57, MagicSanta wrote:
I'll tell you how much the Beatles we around when I was a kid (and my stupid sisters would scream at them on TV). I don't like 'em and there isn't a Beatle song I don't know the words to on the radio.
[/quote]

Across the Universe is bigger than The Beatles... It's a visual tapestry of imagery and sound that successfully captures a snapshot of the sentiment and political climate of the era.

Yes it uses Beatles music, but it's not about them per say. In fact, the The Beatles are never directly referenced in the film.

To be completely honest with you I'm not a big fan of The Beatles. I've often called them "The Original Boy Band" that paved the way for the awful crud that the Backstreet Boys, Nsync, and the New Kids On the Block later produced.

Never the less, they were hugely popular in the 60's. Across the Universe successfully builds off of this and uses it as a framework for its imagery and message. Many of the song lyrics and messages are re-purposed in this effort, but their spirit remains the same.

On my iPod, I'd rather listed to The Rolling Stones any day, but Across the Universe was one heckuva movie.
I never heard of this Across the Universe, is it in theaters or something?
[quote]
On 2007-10-14 22:34, MagicSanta wrote:
I never heard of this Across the Universe, is it in theaters or something?
[/quote]

Seriously? Yeah, it's a new movie out. Check out the trailer!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/acrosstheuniverse/
Cool! I live in a rural area, Animal House is opening next weekend. I figure this movie will hit around 2049.
At least the Beatles had the good taste to break up while they were relatively young.
And the music for the most part still stands up.

jagger prancing around onstage still--puleeeze!

Jack Shalom
...do you think there is any credence in the theory that beatlemania was encouraged by the powers that be in the states as a useful propaganda tool, in a culture where talented black artists were hounded by the authoritees and then director of the CIA was extremely paranoid about a black uprising led by the panther movement?
I believe so Mr. Smith. I also think that Chuck Manson was absolutely correct in his translation of the White Album...White Album....used to start the world wide war that would bring the Panthers to the top of the leadership until Manson and his family would arise from the caverns and take over the world. The entire Beatle thing was a ruse. Let us look at the facts, they did one little tiny tour that played in Shea Stadium and ended in Candle Stick Park. The color of the caps of the Mets who played in Shea were blue, the Giants played in Candle Stick and they wore black hats, black and blue, the accepted color of a beating, who would give the beating? The Beat-les, les being French for The, so they were really named The Beat-ers. Real bands tour, the Beatles didn't... so not only did they try to start a race war, caused the deaths of Sharon Tate and others, they were posers! But beyond all that, worse of all, Yoko....what up wid dat?
The walrus is Paul.
Daed si Luap.
[quote]
On 2007-10-15 21:44, MagicSanta wrote:
I believe so Mr. Smith. I also think that Chuck Manson was absolutely correct in his translation of the White Album...White Album....used to start the world wide war that would bring the Panthers to the top of the leadership until Manson and his family would arise from the caverns and take over the world. The entire Beatle thing was a ruse. Let us look at the facts, they did one little tiny tour that played in Shea Stadium and ended in Candle Stick Park. The color of the caps of the Mets who played in Shea were blue, the Giants played in Candle Stick and they wore black hats, black and blue, the accepted color of a beating, who would give the beating? The Beat-les, les being French for The, so they were really named The Beat-ers. Real bands tour, the Beatles didn't... so not only did they try to start a race war, caused the deaths of Sharon Tate and others, they were posers! But beyond all that, worse of all, Yoko....what up wid dat?
[/quote]

...then when the little moptops started forming opinions and vocalising them, you all burned their records.
Um, Didn't burn mine. I understood what John was trying to say.

"Jesus is all right, but his followers are thick and slow."

Didn't exactly do very much to prove him wrong, did they?
Where the heck did that come from Mandrake?
Across the Universe was OK. It made a better trailer than a movie, in my opinion. Some of the musical renditions were great (for example, Dear Prudence, Across the Universe, Girl, I've Just Seen a Face, Revolution), but the story felt a little weak.

Too many characters, I thought. Prudence had no good reason to be in the movie at all (other than to offer the sweet Dear Prudence scene). I did love the "I Want You (She's So Heavy) scene, but the movie on a whole felt like an excuse to put a bunch of Beatles music together and film something pretty.

Cinematically: Very, very good.
Music: Generally very good.
Story: Mm...not so much.

In terms of the all-powerful Beatles, they're awesome. I would refer anyone who thinks they were only capable of pop tunes to the album "Abbey Road."

Favorite Songs?
-Fool on the Hill (#1)
-I've Just Seen a Face
-A Day in the Life
-Hey Bulldog
-All the other ones they did
Abby Road was the only album of theirs I listened to back then. Pop music! Wait...just how great would those wretched mop tops had Ozzie Osbourne as lead singer rather than the others? I Want To Hold Your Hand done to the tune of Iron Man rocks!
[quote]
On 2007-10-16 12:37, MagicSanta wrote:
Where the heck did that come from Mandrake?
[/quote]

Corona Smith posted that when the "moptops" started vocalizing opinions, we started burning Beatle records. The opinion that set of the mass burning/boycott of the Beatles was John's "We're more popular than Jesus." A later quote in the same interview was John saying; "Jesus was all right, but his followers were thick and slow."

My thought was that people turning on the Beatles for an opinion and having mass burnings and "Beatle paraphanalia destruction centers" weren't doing a lot to prove John's opinion off base.
[quote]
On 2007-10-16 13:07, Andini wrote:
Across the Universe was OK. It made a better trailer than a movie, in my opinion. Some of the musical renditions were great (for example, Dear Prudence, Across the Universe, Girl, I've Just Seen a Face, Revolution), but the story felt a little weak.

Too many characters, I thought. Prudence had no good reason to be in the movie at all (other than to offer the sweet Dear Prudence scene). I did love the "I Want You (She's So Heavy) scene, but the movie on a whole felt like an excuse to put a bunch of Beatles music together and film something pretty.

Cinematically: Very, very good.
Music: Generally very good.
Story: Mm...not so much.

In terms of the all-powerful Beatles, they're awesome. I would refer anyone who thinks they were only capable of pop tunes to the album "Abbey Road."

Favorite Songs?
-Fool on the Hill (#1)
-I've Just Seen a Face
-A Day in the Life
-Hey Bulldog
-All the other ones they did
[/quote]

I think the question would have to be; was it better than "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"? The film with the Bee Gees, not the album.
Wow, there are some very interesting posts about the Beatles in this thread. I am a big fan of the Beatles, warts and all, and cannot see how anyone can objectively say they created nothing more than pop music.

Since I am working on a Beatles routine, I found the following Beatles/magic connections (some of which I originally discovered on the Café):

- Ringo called the Beatles relationship with each other "magical telepathy"

- One of the working titles for the album Revolver was "Magical Circles". The title the Beatles finally decided they wanted for that album - until they found out that another band had used it - was "Abracadabra"

- 3 years after John's infamous "we're more popular than Jesus" interview, Ringo appeared in the film "the Magic Christian"

- The act following the Beatles on their first Ed Sullivan appearance was Fred Kaps. The act preceding their final appearance was Fantasio.

- In an open letter to the New York Times in 1979 written by John and Yoko, they said: "Magic is simple. Magic is real. The secret is to know that it is simple. Magic is logical. Try it sometime."

My favorite Beatles songs (because I love the melodies and harmonies):
Help!
I Feel Fine
Hey Jude
Do you think after fifty years Paul could get a different hair cut?