(Close Window)
Topic: Juggling and Magic
Juggling is working out real well in my shows. So far I am only using balls. I really like the 3 1/2 inch stage balls. Nice bright colors and easy for everyone to see. I am working on clubs but it is going to be a while before I will be able to use them in a show. Also working on a Diablo, Rings and a Devil Stick.

I am very interested in the reactions that other magicians are getting from juggling or any another performing art in their act?
Hi John,

about four years ago I bought the famous "Klutz" book on juggling.

Believe it or not, I actually learned to juggle three bags, and pretty well I might add. Iíve seen devil sticks, those things look crazy. My way of thinking is every magician should be able to juggle at least a little bit. :goof:
I agree Steve. It is a lot of fun. Plus even a simple routine will get a great reaction. The audience knows that you have to have some skill to do it and it breaks up an act a bit.

Variety is good. The Klutz book is great. I study with Randy Pryor who is an amazing Magician/Juggler/Comedian/Entertainer. We have been working on the juggling lately, and to learn juggling from him is a real blessing!

Thank you,

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://ArtofMagic.8k.com

http://www.ZanderMagic.com/KidShow.htm

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Hey John,

Iíve been playing around with Zuniís and their a ton of fun and they look really cool when you get some moves down.

Later,

Dorian
John-What made you decide to get into juggling? I guess I'm curious as I've thought about it, but have never made the move...

Steve :bigsmile:
Hey Dorian,

Cool! Fun huh! I am also working on a devil stick and a diablo. Itís nice when you can have fun while practicing :banana:

Hope to see you soon,

Hi Steve,

It came about in an effort to put some variety into my act. It also looks good in your advertising

[b]"Comedy - Magic - Juggling"[/b]

it looks like the client is getting more for their money so it may get you the call first.

I study magic (the art and the business of) with Randy Pryor. Besides being one of the finest entertainers that I have ever seen, he is an amazing juggler.

I had been trying to juggle for quite some time but never really putting any effort into it. But, with Randyís help I am hooked! I juggle every day, balls, cigar boxes, clubs, rings, diablo and devil stick. It excites me just as much as magic does.

I have two basic shows, kid and adult. The juggling fits well into both. Juggling shows a whole other type of skill which is appreciated by the audience.

I have a great deal of tips that I would be glad to share if you are interested.

Thank you,

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://ArtofMagic.8k.com

http://www.ZanderMagic.com/KidShow.htm

Thanks John for a wonderful reply!

I think that juggling is something that I would definitely like to learn...It sounds as if you take it as seriously as your magic! Your enthusiasm is contagious!

When I am ready to give it 100% I'll give you a buzz for some tips!

Thanks again John!

Sincerely,

Steve :bigdance:
I use juggling in my kids show. Using a Crystal Silk Cylinder, I change four silks (that came out of a crayon box when they were changed from crayons into silks) into the four-color bean-balls. I ask the kids if they know what I might be able to do with these balls because I was expecting a tube full of crayons and not these balls. Someone always says "JUGGLE" and I fake being upset because I can't juggle.

I tell them my cousin is trying to teach me. From there I show them how it looks when I do it. I drop a ball and when the kid hands it back I drop another one as I'm taking the first one back, etc. Then I show them how my cousin does it. Here, I juggle pretty well with a 3-ball cascade. Big Deal!! But the parents and kids wake up a little and start paying attention again. (Wow! I MUST be good to have to fight for the audience's attention!!)

After I juggle for a minute, I ask them if they want to see me juggle eight balls. They yell "YESS!!" I put the first balls back and take out three squeezy 8-Balls I got from Oriental Trading. It's groans all around!!

This bit is stolen from Ginn or Taylor or Markwood or Sammy Smith or some other kids pro. It allows me to not be an expert juggler. It's fun and I don't have to practice much! Talk about LAZY!!

Dave :nod:
That is a funny routine Dave! I have a joke that ends with the punch line being "eye" balls in my hands. "These are for juggling" "I can juggle balls, or I can juggle in super slow motion." The kids always pick SSM, so I bring out the silks and juggle those with some other gags... "you should have picked the balls, they really look cool!" The kids all yell for the balls, so then I bring out the big stage balls and juggle those. The birthday child names a color and that color flies over the top of the rest each time he calls it out.

BTW, here is a joke that I came up with that I sometimes use for the adult stand up shows.

"These are my stage balls (4 inch stage balls).... I have to have balls this big to get up on stage in front of you guys!"

You are all free to use it, just not with the kids ;)

Dave, lets get together soon. I am almost comfortable with the juggling clubs! Also having fun with rings, but still only doing three.

Thanks,
Iíve been using devil sticks for sometime now, but only for goofing around and having fun when I havenít had anything to do, never thought I could use them in a routine.... thanks for the idea. :D
Yes, I believe it helps in your advertising to say magic and juggling. In juggling, there are no gimmicks. If you do both - people see you are multi-talented. I have found cigar boxes to be an eye opener. However the following are some combinations I use:

I juggle balls (this makes them dizzy) to use them in my Strat-O-Sphere routine.

I juggle rings and use them before my Linking Rings routine.

After using my Chamelion Bag, I pull out 3 scarves, juggle them, place them in a Change Bag...and pull them out all tied together.

Hope this helps

SS :kermit:
Listening to you guys makes me wish I COULD juggle!

Bengi :rolleyes:
But you can juggle....just like magic...it takes practice, practice, practice.

:rolleyes:

:nod:

:D

L8R
I often mix juggling and magic when working behind the bar. I use items that are there (fruit, knives, ice cubes, olives, etc.)

There are many gag lines you can use to make things more entertaining.

When juggling at a school assembly, I made a lot of political jokes to go with the tricks. The kids loved the juggling and the jokes added a lot for the adults.

When working for adults only, I usually throw in that I'm juggling 3 girlfriends as we speak (groan). And when I ask if they'd like to see 5 balls in the air at once, I just juggle 3 and jump up in the air a few times. I know it sounds corny, but always good for laughs.

I can do 4 balls but learning 5 is taking me longer than I'd hoped.

I also do clubs, knives, torches, cigar boxes (basic), and devil sticks (very basic).
My future goals include yo yo and unicycle.

Mark V
I started juggling in jr high, to improve my hand eye coordination.

That is when I found out the evil fact, botch a juggling trick 2-3 times then get it and people love it, botch a card trick ONCE and your done!!!

No more staying at home in front of the mirror hiding, I can practace OUTSIDE where people can SEE ME!

You are all turning to the light side :)

I now after years of juggling, countless shows, have finally gotten the hand eye thingy out of my system, so back to the magic.
I notice Pokie-Poke is holding a contact juggling ball! :) Wow, if you really want to impress people learning contact juggling is by far, the most impressive. There is only one book on the subject, and two maybe 3 video's. On the more positive side there is a site devoted to this great skill:

http://www.contactjuggling.org

The above site is the best place to start. Be ready to practice A LOT!

Kevin :kitty:
It isn't even a good stall but the rest of the photo came out ok. yea learn to contact juggle, if you think you have no life now just wait :) I was thinking (oh no!) about doing a contact juggling/cue ball bit...
Hello

On the subject of Juggling and Magic. I have a friend that I busk with now and then. He uses the juggling to draw his crowd then goes in to his magic. He gets a large group quickly.

He does play music while juggling maybe thats what draws them in.

Mr Phil
Hi Mr. Phil,

I have been so close to doing some street peforming, just have not got up the nerve yet. Your post pushed me a bit further, juggling would be a great way to draw a crowd I'm sure. Thanks! I'm half way to the street ;)
If you'd like to see some U-N-R-E-A-L Juggling, Kinetic, Street, etc. Check out "In Motion With Michael Moschen". It's only available on VHS.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=vhs&field-actor=Michael%20Moschen/ref=pm_dp_ln_v_8/103-6186454-5284624

He juggles inside a triangular fixture bouncing the balls off of all three sides.
It's an incredible performance of precision juggling.
:wow:
[quote]
On 2002-06-04 11:33, John Zander wrote:

Juggling would be a great way to draw a crowd I'm sure.
[/quote]

That's absolutely true. Working somewhere like a shopping mall, if people see something going on they will come a bit closer. Juggling's a great way to get interest.

In my regular party shows I use juggling as a running gag, saying I'll do it later, etc and finally saying something like 'I think I've done everything - have I forgotten something?' The children yell out about the juggling and after a couple of cod juggling routines, I do it properly and the noise of the crowd is deafening (well almost)

It's not as difficult to learn as most people think and well worth the effort.

:bunny2:
I'm a juggler, you might want to look for a local juggling club. I am my club coordinater, we have been juggling together for 12 years. I am adding some juggling web sites for you all to enjoy.

I juggle 3 balls in many patterns, four balls in a few patterns and still working on 5 balls, I love passsing clubs, knives torches. Crowds love the Diabolo, I finish my diabolo act with a magic knot release caught with a whip.

Take a look at these sites.
http://www.juggling.org/
http://www.mwt.net/~otto/
http://www.snt.utwente.nl/~catchup/english.htm
:clownjuggling: :clownonball:
I am learning to juggle (slowly) and have just got a diablo - I do use juggling in my clown magic routine, even though I can only barely do the three ball cascade - it is more of a comedy thing, and the kids get up to have a go as well. I would love to be a better juggler but it is difficult to find the time - plus old age is against me!!!
KAZ :pepper: :cucumber:
Another cool thing to do, is juggle rings with one side painted one color and the other side another, then use a revers catch to flip the ring it will look like they changed color! It looks good even if all you can do is 3!

And I don't recommend selling yourself as a juggler if you are not up to it.

Imaginary phone call... "hello, yes, we would like a juggler for our event..... magic, no thanks, we had that last year, just a juggler, thanks..."
I really enjoy both juggling and magic tricks but I have never found a way of combining the two. I can juggle up to 6 balls or three clubs, does anyone know how to work this into a magic trick (possibly a card trick)? :confused:
Hmm, off the top of my head (and I only dabble with card magic) you could start juggling 3 clubs and at the same time get a spectator to do something with the cards, the result of which is they're left with a force card. Then throw one of the clubs high in the air, catch it and show that on the end of it is the same card that the spectator chose.

Now that I think of it, you could actually make a very cool trick out of this. It's kind of similar to the trick when the spectator's card is found on the blades of a small fan.

Cheers

ML

There is also the disappearing ball trick, based on 2 in one hand with a 3rd ball weaving in and out. Then it suddenly vanishes. Looks good - just some good old fashioned juggling skill involved. Check out Beyond the Cascade by George Gillson for a description. It's toward the end of the book.

Cheers

ML

...and a combination of silk magic and juggling would be cool for a kids show.

Can you juggle ping-pong balls with your mouth? I can do two - crikey, there are guys that can do 5, some without a hand feed! Anyway, you could appear to produce a multitude of ping pong balls from your mouth, then mouth juggle, or do a multiplying ping pong ball routine.

Linking rings, juggling rings. Could work well together. There is a gag there somewhere about a "combination trick" :)

As has been mentioned elsewhere, contact juggling lends itself to magic. Floating crystal ball, then roll it over your body, up your arms, around head etc. Problem is here, people may think the whole routine is a trick and thus ignore the phenomenal skill this kind of juggling requires. :hmm:

Bill to lemon, combined with juggling knives would be a cool way to do the final flourish.

Cheers

ML
Info wanted on comedy balancing a bucket or ball on pole, but only to find out bucket / ball actually stuck to pole????
Wally
This is the oldest thread I have ever seen. Just how did you find it? Now what exactly is your question?
I saw a guy 3 weeks ago balance a basket ball spinning on top off a pole on his chin . only to bring pole horizontally the ball was stuck on somehow, I think theres also a bucket skit like this.
[quote]
On 2001-09-07 21:02, Steve Brooks wrote:
Hi John,

about four years ago I bought the famous "Klutz" book on juggling.

Believe it or not, I actually learned to juggle three bags, and pretty well I might add. Iíve seen devil sticks, those things look crazy. My way of thinking is every magician should be able to juggle at least a little bit. :goof:

[/quote]
I agree with you, Steve. I am working on juggling too.
Hi All,

Who is are the best jugglers of Diabolos? Also where can I see videos on them?
Captian Mike is the best diabolo entertainer. IMHO
Tony Frebourg --- http://www.tonyfrebourg.com/ --- Without a doubt the most spectacular diabololist I've ever seen.

Watch the promo clip here: http://www.tonyfrebourg.com/videos/hohner.wmv

The two diabolo start is simply stunning! And I won't even talk about the three diabolos with tricks and the four diabolo finale... yes FOUR diabolos... performed flawlessly. You'll have to watch the video.

I really like the martial arts/diabolo combo. Works really well I think.

If you're talking old school diabolo then Donald Grant, Jochen Schel (not sure on the spelling) and Guy Heathcote are all up there and were part of that very special core group who took diabolo in to a whole new world of possibilities back in the 90s.

That's just my opinion anyway.

As for going back to the original topic of combining juggling and magic I don't think anyone does it quite as well as Charlie Frye... There's a new video of him on youtube --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo2FRrF46F8 ---

I adore the linking ring routine. First time I've seen that.
[quote]
On 2009-10-13 17:21, Al Angello wrote:
Captian Mike is the best diabolo entertainer. IMHO
[/quote]

Wow Al,

I just saw your post and I appreciate your compliment. I think the key word is 'entertainer' since technically there are so many others doing so many amazing things with the prop these days (including my brother, Alfredo).

I was a small part of that group back in the late '80's and early '90's that brought the prop out to the American public and the reaction was huge. I am definately an 'old school' practitioner of the prop and am most proud of being choosen to perform solo, center ring with the diabolos on Ringling Bros. Circus Red Unit 1992-1993.

During our recent shows in China I was very pleasantly surprised by the reaction from the Chinese people to my routine. I figured they had 'seen it all before' and if they had they still seemed to enjoy what I brought.

The Diabolo Rocks!!

Cap'n Mike
Myrtle Beach, SC
=====================
My act is magic and juggling done in equal measures. Without doubt the best reaction to the juggling side is fire, a ten minute comedy routine with a bit to music. People are impressed by fire more than I feel they should be!
Diabolos with a good comic script come a close second - I'm still working on the "good comic script"!
This is an old thread but a fun topic.

I tell clients I perform Magic Juggling and Comedy, mostly Magic.

I'm not a great Juggler but I do it in my show for variety. I do some 3 Bean Bag Juggling (which I recommend if you're liable to drop occasionally as they don't roll) with comedy patter and some contact juggling to music.

I tend to do jugglery with other objects in the show (wand spins, Card Flourishes, Rope and linking Ring Flourish type things.) as well. You don't have to be great if you make it clear you're a Magician who juggles a little and it adds a lot to the show.

Look out though. Once you start juggling every thing you pick up starts to give you that give me a twirl and a toss look. It's a small price to pay and you won't regret the choice. (The people around you may regret it a little.)

-Mary Mowder
I too like to include some 'variety' in my shows. I don't do it in all my shows, and limit exactly 'what' type of juggling I will do. The juggling acts, and other performance arts I do are:

-Contact Juggling (1 and 2 Balls)
-Poi (LED/Glow Poi, Flag Poi, Fire Poi/Fire Dancing)
-Breathing Fire
-Eating Fire
-Meteor
-Devil Stick

Like I said, I limit what I put in what shows. My fire acts will usually go in an out door celebration (during night), contact juggling, I have found, goes good in kid shows. And Glow and Flag poi, I don't get to use much, but usually at festivals and stuff like that.

Believe it or not, even though I know that, I STILL can't do regular 3 ball juggling, I understand it, I just need to train my hands to do it.
Jacoby,

Sounds like a nice show. I've always been interested in poi (although I didn't always know the name).

I do some poi moves with my rope.

How do you present it, to music? Comedy patter? Historical background?

For 3 bean bag juggling go with the Klutz Book and persistence. Make yourself do 15 min before any other juggling. With your skill set you'll be juggling 3 in under a week (I learned in less than a week with no skills). If you start with the Scarf Juggling even faster. Although Scarf Juggling is MUCH more of a workout it is easier to learn. Some times you can still find the Gauzy Scarves at Walmart (like Ammar uses for coins through Handkerchief).

Good Luck.

-Mary Mowder
Mary, later today, I will PM you a few good 'poi' websites, which you can look at, if you are interested.

I present it a variety of ways. We often have ren fests and the likes in my town, during the summer. In which case, during the day I use flags, and at night fire (in a roped off area). In those cases I just do it generally, as an artist would in those days, just adding to the atmosphere.

But other than that, yes, I do have poi routines to the music. Each movement with the poi can be associated with different beats. It makes for a very unique creative process, at least I think. haha