(Close Window)
Topic: Outsmokin'
I found this particular piece of magic
while I was surfing on the internet. It is
called "Outsmokin'" from Ron Jaxon. It is for sale on his website for $7.50 as instructions. ( http://www.jaxonmagic.com )

I have a lot of fun performing it and it's
part of a longer act with a cigarette.

Look for my demo:
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=352

I hope you enjoy!

Peter Eggink
Sleightmaster
Peter, I found the demo and enjoyed it a great deal. Ron Jaxon (master of IT) recently joined The Magic Café about a three weeks ago. You did his work justice. Nice!

Always looking forward to your posts,

Randy Stewart
Thanks for the kind words, Randy.

Since Ron is joining the Magic Café, there is another great mind in magic on this forum...;)

Take care,

Peter
LMAO :rotf: That was hilarious Peter, you did a great job... as always :kewl:

Can't wait for your next video.
Well, maybe I should open my own fanpage. LOL! :fruity:

Well, just wishful thinking here.
Thanks again,

Peter
Boy. I'm gonna need a new hat. My head just grew a few sizes.. :rotf:

Seriously, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you like the trick and Peter did do a great job performing it.

As Peter mentioned, that trick OUTSMOKIN' is part of a longer routine. What's great about it is the entire act seems impromptu. It's themed on how to quit smoking so it fits a wide range of audiences because it doesn't endorse smoking. I'll run through the entire act I use it in.

I usually start out by performing Andy Leviss' trick called A Sticky Situation. This is a trick with chewing gum. So I come out and notice I forgot to spit my gum out. As I'm apologizing for this, I explain that I'm trying to quit smoking.
Then I explain that I've discovered a few ways to help smokers quit. Then I perform Fearson's floating cigarette ending with the line, "See, it's a light cigarette."
I explain that switching to a light cigarette really doesn't help, it actually makes you want to smoke more. So here's another way to help you quit.

Now I perform the OUTSMOKIN' trick. At the end, the filter appears in the middle of the cigarette. This is an obvious ending because there is no way you can get the filter in your mouth now.

As the reaction dies down. I finally say, "If all else fails. You can just do this." Then I perform a very clean cigarette up the nose that leave my hands completely empty.

So, as you can see, it's a very fun and magical act. I've gotten great reactions from it from both magicians and laymen. I've also gotten a lot of compliments from laymen about how it doesn't endorse cigarette smoking.

I'll soon be releasing another trick that uses the same kind of gimmick as OUTSMOKIN', except it's a funny torn and restored cigarette routine.

Just thought I'd share that with you all.

Ron Jaxon
Hey Ron,

Hat's off to you man.
Also glad to see you in the Magic Café.
I'm sure I will check out your new "Torn and Restored" effect soon.

Later,

Peter
I really like it. It's a very puzzling effect and looks great. Good work to the pair of you.
Thanks, Ron, sounds cool. I'm ordering it now. :kewl:
The video was awesome. I ordered it but when I tried to log in it logged me off with an error message. Help!
Hi! Ron

I checked out the demo and I'll have to order it soon. Good routine and excellent trick!

Thanks.

Koji
trainerjep

If you still haven't worked it out. Please Email me and we'll get you taken care of.

Thanks everyone.

Ron Jaxon
I have this but am having a problem finding the materials for the trick. Does anyone know where to buy the gimmick for the Cigarette?
Steve
Ron is your torn and restored still coming out?

thanks.
I don;t see this on Ron's current website. Does anyone know where I can get this?

thank you
Where can the plastic gimmick be found? Anyone?
You don't have to use a plastic gimmick. PM me with any questions, and I can help you with supplies you have around the house.
Not to worry; Ron is planning on re-releasing Out Smokin'... He is also making the gimmicks available for purchase, for those of us too lazy to make our own [slowly raising my own hand]...
I'm writing this with both an announcement and a request.

First the announcement.

I recently contacted a John Rogers. He makes the most unbelievable and realistic looking fake cigarettes and cigars. These things are works of art. Just take a look for yourself at [url=http://woodencigar.com]woodencigar.com[/url] I meet him at a party at the Abbotts magic close up get together a couple years ago. Pulled one of the "droopy" cigarettes out of his pocket and it blew me away (look at the cigarettes on his site to see what I mean by droopy).
Anyway, we are discussing him making my Outsmokin' gimmicks.

[b]Please don't contact him asking about it yet. It'll take some time for him to work out the method of mass producing them.[/b]

Now for the request.

AS you can see in John's site, his work is fantastic but it'll cost a little more to buy them. So I'd like to make a PDF of the instruction on how to make the Outsmokin gimmick. That way anyone can download the trick and they can order the gimmicks from John at there leasure if they decide they want a professionally made one.
I know nothing about making PDF files and and don't have the program to do so. I'd like to find someone to make one from me. I'll supply the instructions and images. I'd gladdly pay for the time and services to do this.

IF anyone is up for it let me know.

I'll also mention that making the gimmick is very easy. I can't think of any reason anyone would have a hard time finding what you need to make them at any store like wal-mart.

Ron Jaxon
[quote]
On 2004-09-24 18:36, Jaxon wrote:
I'm writing this with both an announcement and a request.

First the announcement.

I recently contacted a John Rogers. He makes the most unbelievable and realistic looking fake cigarettes and cigars. These things are works of art. Just take a look for yourself at [url=http://woodencigar.com]woodencigar.com[/url] I meet him at a party at the Abbotts magic close up get together a couple years ago. Pulled one of the "droopy" cigarettes out of his pocket and it blew me away (look at the cigarettes on his site to see what I mean by droopy).
Anyway, we are discussing him making my Outsmokin' gimmicks.

[b]Please don't contact him asking about it yet. It'll take some time for him to work out the method of mass producing them.[/b]

Now for the request.

AS you can see in John's site, his work is fantastic but it'll cost a little more to buy them. So I'd like to make a PDF of the instruction on how to make the Outsmokin gimmick. That way anyone can download the trick and they can order the gimmicks from John at there leasure if they decide they want a professionally made one.
I know nothing about making PDF files and and don't have the program to do so. I'd like to find someone to make one from me. I'll supply the instructions and images. I'd gladdly pay for the time and services to do this.

IF anyone is up for it let me know.

I'll also mention that making the gimmick is very easy. I can't think of any reason anyone would have a hard time finding what you need to make them at any store like wal-mart.

Ron Jaxon
[/quote]

you've got a pm re: pdf creation.
Pm'd you.
Thanks everyone. I'll get the images and everything finished then I'll contact you.

Thaks so much to everyone to offering to help out.

Ron Jaxon

Posted: Oct 6, 2004 2:05pm
-------------------------------------
[b]Outsmokin'[/b] is now available as a PDF file.

[url=http://www.magicjax.com/outsmokinadd.html]Click here for details[/url]

Thanks for all the offers to help get this out there!

Ron Jaxon
I just bought this via papal. One word... WOW. This is unbelievable, I nearly fell off my chair when I read the pdf. Jaxon my hat is off to you.
At this price folks don't miss this effect. I pride myself in a logical educated mind and would never have guessed the gimmick. anyone worried about making this please don't worry the pdf explains just how easy this is to make. I guarantee you will easily lay your hands on the necessary stuff at next to no cost to yourself.
Final thoughts are you will use this and kick yourself if you don't buy it at the price.
Regards, Doc
I got this also and it blew me away - the gimmick was truly a surprise as, after watching the video, I thought I had it figured....WRONG!!
Well done, Ron - a great illusion (and you don't even need to be a smoker to perform this)!
Just bought this too! Totally agree with <multiply>. Download the video FIRST and watch it around a dozen times - when you know the secret the demo loses a little impact, so take-in as much as you can!

Fantastic! Hats off (or on) to Ron!

Dr. Zordas
Thanks guys. I'm so happy you like it. Let me know how it goes when you go out and perform it. I'd love to read your storys.

Thanks again.

Ron Jaxon
I performed this tonight, and yes I know I only bought it yesterday but honestly you will be able to do this as soon as you make the gimick and how many tricks can that be said about? It went down fantasticaly and is so much fun to do.its one of those rare things that you watch yourself do in a mirror and you cant stop smiling. So once again guys do yourself and magic a favour and buy this thing and get out there performing it.
Regards, Doc
Money well spent!!! I was really pleased with my purchase, Ron. Top notch stuff here. The gimmick took no time to create, and I am having a blast performing this effect. At 10 dollars, I believe I got my moneys worth. Thanks for putting this out there!!

Mojo
I'm so glad this is getting such good feed back.

After you've performed it for a while. I'd love to see videos of you performing it. It would be great to put on my site. So people can see how different people present it. I'm sure there is a wide variety of facial expressions and other presentation aspects.

There's something I think needs to be said and I'm saying it here on the public board because it doesn't just apply to this trick.

Don't trade PDF files for other tricks. This trick is only $10 and most PDF instructions don't cost that much anyway. I've had a couple people who have this trick tell me that they've had Emails asking to trade this trick for otehr PDF's or E-books. If someone can't afford $10 then I don't think magic is something they should be to heavily into. If anyone wants this trick but don't use paypal or are in a country that doesn't. Email me and [b]maybe[/b] we can work something about. (Please don't take this as in invitation to trade this trick for others though).

Thanks again everyone!

Ron Jaxon
I've had a few people ask what I meant when I said that this trick is part of a longer act. So I figured I'd share it here. The other tricks in the act aren't mine so I'll just name them.

I start out by performing Andy Leviss's "A sticky situation. This is a very nice trick with a stick of chewing gum. After, while rather, I'm performing this trick I explain that I'm trying to quit smoking.

I explain that I've tried all kinds of "Stop Smoking aids". For example:

Here I perform Fearsons floating cigarette with the tag line, "See, you use a light cigarette".
That never really helps you quite. It actually makes you want to smoke more. So I found a way that's guarenteed to make you quit.

Here I perform Outsmokin.

At the end I say something along the lines of:
If all else fails, just do this!"

Then I do a very clean cigarette up the nose that leaves your hands empty.

A lot of visual magic and fun lines in this routine.

Just thought I'd share that for those who are interested.

Ron Jaxon
Ron:

I can't view the demo with QT 6.5 . Any ideas?

Also, Peter's performance doesn't seem available either. MagicVideoDepot.com appears to be down or gone.

Would love to see the demo.

Steve H
I open mine with Windows media player with no problem. Hmm. I'm not sure what to do.

I do have a very old and very low quality video of it. I made this about 5 years ago mainly just to show it to some friends online.

It's a .ram file so you'll need real player. Don't hold the quality of the video against me but it does show the effect.
(Notice that in this video I light the cigarette at the end. I only did this to show that it can be handed out when you perform. You don't have to light it).

[url=http://www.magicjax.com/outsmokin.ram]Click here[/url] to try that video.

Oh and by the way. The video of Peter perform the effect is on the add page for outsmokin now. [url=http://www.magicjax.com/outsmokinadd.html]Click here to find that[/url].

Let me know if you're able to see either one of them. I'd love to read your reaction.

Ron Jaxon
Same problem, can't open any of them and I never had a problem opening files or media players..
Don
The first link is for a Real Media file. It works just fine for me. The second link is for a Windows Media player file, which also works fine. You may wish to try downloading the latest versions of this software for the files to work properly.

If you don't like RealOne, you can download a program called RealAlternative, a smaller program that uses virtually no memory at all.

For Windows Media:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/download/download.aspx

For RealAlternative:

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/static/clips/realalt109.exe

Hope this helps.
Hey Ron, I started this thread for you again by just asking where to get the materials for your effect. I have the non PDF version. Now look at all the responses and sales. You never did tell me what type of hat you are wearing. I hope Outsmokin continues to do well for you. By the way it is a great effect!
Steve
Ron:

On your website, the file extension is .avi.

In your last post, it's a .ram file, which I <was> able to see with jetAudio, a Real Media player.

I like the routine and can see why it would be so cool as a part of a longer routine. Thanks for posting it.

Steve
Is everyone seeing the video ok now? I just want to amke sure it's working. A new video is coming taht shows just this effect rather then all the effects the current video has.

Ron Jaxon
As promised hre's the new video for Outsmokin'

This is another .wmv (Windows Player) file and it really shows the effect well.

[url=http://www.magicjax.com/outsmokin.wmv]Click here to see the video.[/url]

Let me know what you think.

Ron Jaxon
Nice going Ron!
Outsmokin deserves it's own demo video, the effect is awesome.

Don't doubt how big impact this effect will do!
It's easy to put together, (took me about 20min).
And really easy to perform, (no difficult sleights what so ever),
so you can consentrate fully on your performance.

I'v performed this behind the bar as a starter of my "quit smoking" routine (outsmokin' - floating cig. to vanish it with a TT).

Great work Ron!!

-e-