(Close Window)
Topic: Magicians Insurance (Not the trick, actual insurance)
Message: Posted by: Burt Yaroch (Feb 14, 2002 09:25AM)
Asmayly mentioned something in another thread that got me thinking (I know, there's a first. Very funny.)

Do magicians have to carry some kind of performing insurance?

In the event someone gets hurt in the performance of your act (tripping on stage, burned by fire, you actually saw someone in half) how are you protected?

Does the neccessity for insurance extend to all performing venues (street for example)?

And what about for the magician himself/herself? If you are injured in someones home do you have insurance for that, or is this something that is stipulated in your contract? What about with larger venues?

"Whats your record for consecutive questions asked?"


"I'm your dads brother all right."

"You have much more hair in your nose than my dad."

"How nice of you to notice."

"I'm a kid, that's my job." :lol:
Message: Posted by: p.b.jones (Feb 14, 2002 09:32AM)
Here in the UK, public liabilty insurance is not compulsory for Magicians. However, I think it is wise to have it, most UK liabilty companys say 1 million pounds (minimum cover)
2 million pounds (recomended cover) it is just a case of peace of mind
Message: Posted by: RayBanks (Feb 14, 2002 09:36AM)
I don't think liability insurance would be very expensive and I think at least IBM has an insurance plan for members.

If you don't use assistants, don't use fire, don't use things that could mess up the floor, don't give away items, don't use or give away latex balloons, etc. you probably don't need insurance.

Other than that it would probably be a good idea.

I am not an insurance agent. Please don't call me for a policy. :rotf: :rotf:
Message: Posted by: martinkaplan (Feb 14, 2002 06:29PM)
Ray is correct in that the members of the IBM can purchase a liability policy through Hampson Mowrer Kreitz Insurance in the amount of 1 million dollars per occurence. The cost is quite reasonable. If you do any effect with a borrowed ring, it probably would be a good idea to have some kind of insurance coverage.

Message: Posted by: majorshaw (Feb 14, 2002 07:33PM)
You always have extra cards. SAM also has a good $1,000,000.00 policy at a good rate.

AIMC with Silver Star
Message: Posted by: Scott F. Guinn (Feb 15, 2002 02:17PM)

"Buck Melonoma, Molley Russell's wart!"

Both the SAM and IBM offer insurance policies. I don't do any danger effects myself, nor do I give away balloons or anything that could be harmful. My personal health insurance covers me, and the hotels and other venues where I perform cover liability insurance should someone trip on their stairs, etc. So while these policies are available at a moderate price, I don't bother with them.

In 24 years of performing (professionally and as an amateur), I've never needed them. If an environment is unsafe, I simply won't perform there until it is corrected.

For example, I was performing at a hotel on a riser,and the stairs were a bit shaky. I asked the maintenance man to fix them or replace them. He couldn't. In this case, I simply had to do the show anyway, but instead of asking people on stage, I went out into the crowd when I needed an audience assistant. If someone HAD fallen on those stairs, the hotel would have been liable, however, I imagine a case could have been made against me as well for asking them to come up.

I'm not saying you don't need this insurance or that it's a bad idea. I'm just saying that I've been able to get along without it.
Message: Posted by: Geoff Williams (Feb 15, 2002 04:56PM)
I have the Hampson Mowrer Kreitz policy through the I.B.M. and, although I never intend to use it, it sure is a PLUS when I'm selling myself on corporate clients (especially in trade show situations).

It's a nice professional touch that only costs $78/year (until such time that my income leaps into the next category).

Actually, when I worked a theme park gig last year, they requested a photocopy of my insurance before the contract could be finalized. It sure was nice to show them I had been proactive in obtaining it.
Message: Posted by: p.b.jones (Feb 16, 2002 02:28AM)
Over here in the UK more and more local authorities will not allow you to work for them if you do not have liability coverage
Message: Posted by: Sir T (Mar 3, 2002 10:51AM)
This subject of insurance comes up a lot, for those of us who do ballooning. On the subject of insurance, better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it!

I spend a hugh amount of time with children of all ages and no matter how many times you warn them of the dangers, of balloons,
"There is always one or two, who will put it in their mouth" Insurance is cheap, when you consider the cost of a lawsuit.

Also, I was asked recently to do a wedding, to keep the children busy. The second question out of the box was, "You will need insurance to perform at the hall." Some places require you to have some kind of insurance, if you are going to work.

Just my two cents worth.

Message: Posted by: Jeb Sherrill (Mar 3, 2002 05:19PM)
I've never used any kind of insurance, but my fiancee carries it when she goes ballooning. I have considered it though. I just wish it covered fire, as I do perform blasting and fire eating sometimes.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Message: Posted by: Saydean (Mar 3, 2002 09:53PM)
This caught my eye so I thought I'd respond. I have a large show and carry a One million dollar liability policy, a five million dollar accidental injury rider, and workmans comp as well as the standard health, dental and disability coverage all to the tune of 3,600.00 per year.
But friends in Vegas tell me I'm getting off cheap as some of their similar insurance set ups run around triple that. The cost of doing bussiness. I also have been told that should something occur my rates could be up to five times what I pay now, IF they don't cancel your policy for filing a claim.