(Close Window)
Topic: Music??
What kind of music do you guys (and girls) use for manipulation acts?

Techno, classical, what?

I prefer techno (probably because I'm 17!). I think it goes really well with manipulations...

Thoughts?

chris
Seismic,
I use all kinds of music. Whatever moves me will make me perform better. I just put together three different pieces of music for my manipulation act. I open with Good Charlotte, go to Santana and then end with a Jazz piece. :smiles:
Check out this song on Kazaa, Win Mx, Morpheus, or whatever.
Rob D - Clubbed to Death.
It carefully fuses classical music with dance and techno.
Tom :bat:
What is Lance Burton's manip song? I have been trying to find it. I hear it in stores, I hear it on TV. I can't find it, please help.
Cheers! :bubbly:
I have found that movie music works well. It depends on your style, which music works best for you. In some shows, techno works well. Sometimes classic is the best choice.
For my billiard ball routine (which is my opener), I use an upbeat, remix of a song popularized in the '80's. My selection here truly goes along with my performance style, and allows the audience to relate to the style of magic they are about to see.

My more 'romantic' stuff, of course I use music that suits the mood in which I want to portray. It takes me countless hours to find the music I'm wanting to use for a particular effect or routine (did I mention it takes countless hours?).

For the comedy routines, I of course select music that is geared toward this 'effect'. Any and all music is decided upon after I am certain that it will blend with and highlight my performance character.

I have a recording technician re-record any and all music selections that I use during a performance, and it's recorded onto the CD in the exact order that it will be in the show. This way, my sound tech doesn't have to change CD's, and spend time cueing up the music.

Magically,
- - Troy
Lance Burton uses Vivaldi: The Four Seasons/ La Primavera.
I use different kinds. It depends on the audience I'm performing for.
When practicing (I have yet to perform manipulation for a real audience) I have my mp3's on random. It helps a lot to practice moving to very different kinds of music. It can really change the whole flavor and feel of a manip routine.
Hello, I have a music cd for magicians. It is for sale at http://www.edjunior.com , click on magic store, scroll down.

I like using techno for manipulation acts, anything instrumental is usually a good choice.
Hey, what's up? This is my first post. I would think 80's type music would work best for most Manipulation acts, like Depeche Mode. Enjoy the silence!
Do you guys think music with words can be appropriate? Usually people say it shouldn't have words, but what do you guys think?
Kipling,
In the competition I was in just recently, a couple of the acts used music with words; and it was pretty good. It made me think a little about more types of music to use, even if it has words. :smiles:
Hello

I use the Music from Beverly Hills Cop. The theme music is called "Axel F." It is really good; I also use Dean Malenko's entry music. It's really good. Dean Makenko is a wrestler and not a magician, just in case you were wondering.
Luke :bat: :magicrabbit: :bikes:
Does anyone know how Lance Burton's CD is? They sell it at Empire Magic. If it is straight classical I may buy.
May sound corny but I really like listening to anything from Enigma "Return to Innocence" to Pink Floyd's "Good Bye Blue Sky".

One is very calm and natural and the other is intense and spasmic.
I don't think that it is corny. The more types of music you like the more variety you will have to choose from. :smiles:
Do any of you guys buy the rights to the music you use? Does any one here perform in public areas? If so I am pretty sure you have to pay the royalties on the song you're using. Let me know what you guys do.

Thanks,

Cheers, :bubbly:

Leon
Leon,
You can use any music you like. The only time you really have to worry about royalties is when you perform on TV. If you get big enough that you have to pay the royalties fees then you will be able to afford it with no problem. :smiles:
I personally like the theme song to "Beverly Hillbillies".
I have to disagree with bolt. Technically, any time you perform for profit using someone's music as part of your show, you should pay royalties or otherwise have some agreement. I believe that is correct. But I doubt that anyone would come after a small show. (Unless it's an infringement on Disney material. Disney goes after everyone!)
Jim
Jim,
I agree. I was just making the point that unless you are someone who is doing big shows on a regular basis, you won't have to worry about it. :smiles:
Copyright laws allow you to use up to 30 seconds of any song without infringing upon the owner's rights (even on TV). Not sure that 30 seconds will really help you though. :)
Hey Guys,
Its definitely true that finding the right music and making it fit into your act (or making the act fit into the music) is the hardest part (after "split fans" of course).
Does anyone here use Enigma for their act?

Andrew
Try using anything from the MIDNIGHT SYNDICATE albums. It's cool BGM! The Realm of Shawdows CD is my favorite. :huh:
Futemagic, I use Enigma in my act. I'm so glad a friend of mine introduced them to me. It's great magic music. Enjoy
I suspect that music from Circque Du Soliel would be fantastic.

Some of it has that circus sound.
Some is techno, etc.

Great stuff.
Bill White has 5 CDs of royalty-free music for magic - all types of music....some are used on a teaching video.

Bryan
This is really going to sound dumb, but maybe stuff from Bruce Faulconer.
I use different kinds of music for different acts (e.g in my gangster act, I use the music from Perry Maison for the cigarets, but when I do the same routine in my some-what more serius act in tails, I use French café music played on mustte acordion.
In the same "tail" act, I also use the musette acordion music for the balls, but in the cabaret act, I preform the routine to big band music.
Most often when I preform for schools or teenagers at a grand ball or at a party, I preform my manipulations to the music from "Variations" by Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber. This seems to work well for both parts as the music is clasical, but with a modern beat. It is based on a piece by Paganini. Mr Lloyd Webber has put in some modern vreiations with a good beat.

Vibono Magic
Sweden
I use Rag Time - Scott Joplin's pieces, a Breeze from Alabama, the Entertainer, Swipesy, etc. They are brill for my manip. act.
Do a search on Kazaa for "breakdance music" or "dance beat". You will find some good techno music.
I use a song that is half classical and techno. I found it on one of my moms 70's cd.
A great way to find some great music for magic is to got to the area in the record store, usually in the back, that no one ever ventures into any more. This is the area for jazz and new age music.

If you start by buying some compilation cd's or "Best Of" cd's, it is a great way to check out some cool sounds that you may not have heard before that may be perfect for your acts or even spark other routines.

If you also go to FYI, you can take a cd and scan it and listen to some new music before you even purchase it. There is some great stuff out there just waiting to be found.
Final Fantasy music is good also.
My only reccomendation for using music is to try and stay away from music in movies or music that is too common place. The reason for this is that there is a tendancy for other magicians to over use the music.

Like anything in your act, you want your music to be orginal and unique to your act. I find that visiting the record store and keeping my ear tuned to new and different sounds, helps me to establish a music collection as well as music that is not only good, but different and not overused.

I have a very large magic music collection and would not mind sharing some of my music ideas and concepts with others should anyone like suggestions. I have way more music then I have acts for. lol =)
While I haven't performed on stage yet, I was thinking that when I do I would like to have Enya or Enigma playing. Plus it also depends on what I am going to perform. I think I would like to incorporate some sort of dancing while I am on stage too. Maybe a routine involving dancing and card manipulations. Hmmmm! I feel like practicing that now!

-Amelia :coolspot:
I do a routine of dancing and manipulations - it's good fun!!
Do you do a little dance, make a little magic and smash that groove thing or do you pull a toe here toe there bit? :hrmph:
Since this thread started I have since changed my music. Currently I am using Shikira's Objection Tango to do a billiard ball manipulation. My daughter starts out dancing with me at the start of the song then dances off stage.

:smiles:
The songs depend on your style and the venue. Expriment a little. Do your act with a song you wouldn't use and it'll open your mind and give your act a new direction. My advice is to do the act and play along with diffrent types of music and then decide which one fits it better.