(Close Window)
Topic: Gotcha!
Message: Posted by: Christopher Lyle (Oct 31, 2007 08:13AM)
This was posted in another area of the Café' but just had to post it here for y'all to watch! This is a definite GOTCHA effect for Magicians. Does anyone know WHO's method this is? WATCH it all the way thru!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q04Hk9cYfbs
Message: Posted by: Lyndel (Oct 31, 2007 08:23AM)
That's Ian Sutz's from Bushnell, Florida (the guy performing it in the video). (He goes by Magic Ian) It's from one of his lectures from way back.


Lyndel
Message: Posted by: Christopher Lyle (Oct 31, 2007 08:36AM)
It's a great routine! Had to watch it about 15+ times before figuring it out. What a great way to floor a magician.
Message: Posted by: Dynamike (Oct 31, 2007 11:05AM)
Thank you for posting it Kyle. I was being very alert after I reading your first post. When it first started I had a feeling what the method was dealt with. I was right, but I noticed the spot on my 3rd viewing.
Message: Posted by: SoCalPro (Oct 31, 2007 11:48AM)
Son of a............!!!!!!!!! That was nice!!!!!! I have an idea on how it was done but not %100. :)
Message: Posted by: spatlind (Oct 31, 2007 12:53PM)
Nice. Real nice!
Message: Posted by: S2000magician (Oct 31, 2007 12:58PM)
[quote]On 2007-10-31 12:48, SoCalPro wrote:
. . . but not %100.[/quote]
Nor even 100%.

;)
Message: Posted by: magicians (Oct 31, 2007 01:34PM)
I have been doing that effect since 1977. I use it as an opener in my current lecture (and previous ones). The taping I did on the DVD is not perfect, It was an outtake from my video lecture notes where I explain the effect.

I call it the "gotcha lecture", and I live to fool magicians.
Of course, It works well for lay audiences as well.

-Ian
aka Magic Ian
Ian Sutz
aka stage name: Ian Garrison
Message: Posted by: Christopher Lyle (Oct 31, 2007 03:40PM)
Back to the drawing board for me Ian. I thought I had ya dead to rights. I played around with my theroy and came up short (no pun intended).

YOU DA MAN!!!! Where can I get your lecture notes that teaches this?
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Oct 31, 2007 05:05PM)
How do we request that S2000Magician be promoted to grammar host since he is constantly correcting posts? I think it is time to recognize his corrections by making it an official title for him.
Message: Posted by: SoCalPro (Nov 1, 2007 01:17AM)
[quote]
On 2007-10-31 18:05, MagicSanta wrote:
How do we request that S2000Magician be promoted to grammar host since he is constantly correcting posts? I think it is time to recognize his corrections by making it an official title for him.
[/quote]

No, he can't have 2 titles. He's already the "Polite magician". ;)

Besides, I still think I said it right the first time. :)

Let me add a word here.
"I have an idea on how it was done but not %100 [b]sure[/b]". :)
Message: Posted by: acesover (Nov 1, 2007 09:01AM)
Doesn't the % sign come after the number???????
Message: Posted by: magicians (Nov 1, 2007 09:20AM)
I am 100 percent sure that the % sign should go after the number, except in Europe.
As far as journalists and writing protocol, it should be written as one hundred percent.
However, these posts are not in keeping with the subject of The "Gotcha" rope effect. or at least I am .99 percent sure.
Message: Posted by: acesover (Nov 1, 2007 09:59AM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-01 10:20, magicians wrote:
I am 100 percent sure that the % sign should go after the number, except in Europe.
As far as journalists and writing protocol, it should be written as one hundred percent.
However, these posts are not in keeping with the subject of The "Gotcha" rope effect. or at least I am .99 percent sure.
[/quote]

Yea but then again the Europeans do not know which of the road to drive on...Ha, Ha...all in fun

NOW BACK TO TOPIC.....
Message: Posted by: SoCalPro (Nov 1, 2007 12:21PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-01 10:01, acesover wrote:
Doesn't the % sign come after the number???????
[/quote]

I just caught that, my bad. :lol:
Message: Posted by: bond19 (Nov 1, 2007 01:07PM)
Got me as well... have now purchased the method via Ians site... what a clever you are Ian, thanks for the quick reply.

Can't wait to fool them magicians,

Chris
Message: Posted by: Davro (Nov 1, 2007 01:39PM)
Yea but then again the Europeans do not know which of the road to drive on...



Hey! I'm European. I've been told so.
Message: Posted by: Miikka (Nov 1, 2007 04:24PM)
Little offtopic, but I don't like you people making false accusations. I think that only in the UK they drive on the wrong side of the road, and we also use the % sign after the number in Europe. I hate when you Americans think you're so great compared to the rest of the world...

Miikka
Message: Posted by: patrick flanagan (Nov 1, 2007 07:33PM)
Miika,
Just curious....how many immigrants are trying to re-locate to Finland these days?
Patrick
Message: Posted by: acesover (Nov 1, 2007 10:34PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-01 17:24, Miikka wrote:
Little offtopic, but I don't like you people making false accusations. I think that only in the UK they drive on the wrong side of the road, and we also use the % sign after the number in Europe. I hate when you Americans think you're so great compared to the rest of the world...

Miikka
[/quote]

Hey Miikka...relax..you will live longer

We were all having a little fun here. Didn't realize you Fins were so uptight.

John (acesover)
Message: Posted by: acesover (Nov 1, 2007 10:34PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-01 20:33, patrick flanagan wrote:
Miika,
Just curious....how many immigrants are trying to re-locate to Finland these days?
Patrick
[/quote]

Great post Pat.

John (acesover)
Message: Posted by: Simon Bakker (Nov 2, 2007 04:57PM)
[quote]
On 2007-10-31 14:34, magicians wrote:
I have been doing that effect since 1977. I use it as an opener in my current lecture (and previous ones). The taping I did on the DVD is not perfect, It was an outtake from my video lecture notes where I explain the effect.

I call it the "gotcha lecture", and I live to fool magicians.
Of course, It works well for lay audiences as well.




I have no clue how you did this. Great, really great! I saw this movie before, and if I'm not mistaken I saw this effect sold in a magicshop here in the Netherlands.
Can we learn this somewhere?

Simon
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 2, 2007 05:38PM)
How a cute little trick turned into a vicious attack on the great country I call home by Finland is beyond me. So hurtful.
Message: Posted by: patrick flanagan (Nov 3, 2007 01:37AM)
I'll apologize to you Santa...lol....and I suppose to all Finlanders....lol.
As for the routine....ouch, that hurt bad when my jaw hit the floor.
Two thumbs up...I'd give you more if I had more thumbs.
Patrick
Message: Posted by: SoCalPro (Nov 3, 2007 01:55AM)
I went to his site but couldn't figure out how to buy it.
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 3, 2007 02:02AM)
I'm not a Finlander!

I'm on your team Patrick!
Message: Posted by: patrick flanagan (Nov 3, 2007 02:25AM)
Santa,
then I take back my apology.....lol
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 3, 2007 12:41PM)
I appreciate it.... I'd boycott Finnish products but, well, I don't eat Reindeer tounge so I'm not sure if there is anything else...
Message: Posted by: magicians (Nov 3, 2007 05:36PM)
[quote]
I have no clue how you did this. Great, really great! I saw this movie before, and if I'm not mistaken I saw this effect sold in a magicshop here in the Netherlands.
Can we learn this somewhere?

Simon
[/quote]

The other thread which has the link to learn (buy and learn) this is at:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=232128&forum=4&30

This was never sold anywhere except at my lectures.
There was a very poor version sold by Murphy's with a miserable method to hand out ropes the same length, after doing the PM. You might have seen that on a discount table in a magic shop. That is Not mine.
Snicker - snicker
-Magic Ian
Message: Posted by: spatlind (Nov 3, 2007 07:22PM)
We drive on the left in Ireland. If that's of any use to anyone. And we are definitely better than anyone else..
Message: Posted by: patrick flanagan (Nov 4, 2007 12:37AM)
My Grandfather was born in Ireland....so the Irish get a pass....lol. And my grandparents on my mother's side were born in Italy, so the Italians get a pass, too...lol....the rest...I better not say...lol.
Patrick