(Close Window)
Topic: Silk to Egg - Kills!
I did a show for my mom's nursing home last weekend, and invited in some of my kids' friends (ages about 7-9). Pretty good show, overall. In preparing for the show, I pulled out my old (as in 70s vintage) Silk to Egg - I'm pretty sure I'd never performed it in public before.

A couple of the older boys were a little bit to the "know-it-all" side (but in a fun way) - one saw the hole in the egg before I even did the "explanation" part.

So anyway, I come in with the real egg for the finish - and Mr. Observant yells that he sees the hole in the egg.

Now, because of my presentation, I didn't use a sticker or anything; there WAS no "hole." Absolutely fried the little bugger.

And there were audible gasps when I broke the egg, particularly from the parents.

What a great trick!
Shhhhh! There's lots of "oldies" out there that get great reactions from kids and adults alike today. Let's keep it between you and I, okay?

Let the rest of them do the "latest and greatest".

Andy
You tell'em Andy! "Greatest Hits" would never sell. (I'll be back from the bank in a minute.)

Let the new guys build their careers on experimental stuff. There's no point in doing what always works. Repeat audiences will grow to expect it!

I buy so many eggs people think I could cook!

It is a true reputation builder.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
The first time I did a rest home show this was my closing effect. It was the first time I did it for an audience other than family. When I broke the egg there was a wave of loud gasps followed by a few loooong seconds of stunned silence and then loud and enthusiastic applause.
It gave me goosebumps.
I have to agree. It's one of the best, if not even the best, sucker effect out there. I have performed it countless times as well for childen to adults and it always gets great response. Still for some reason I don't know anyone else who uses it and I am happy about that actually.

J-M
In Finland, are the eggs white or brown? In most of Europe they are brown.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Is there much difference between the various Egg to Silk routines? Which get the votes for the better ones?

Genghis
I use the routine that came with the Viking Silk to Egg with me added.
I love this "classic" and have used it for years and will continue using it. Packs small (not recommended flat), Plays big. Good price, unless the price of eggs go through the roof. By the way, if a rooster layed an egg on the roof, what side of the roof would the egg roll? Speaking of egg rolls....
Silk to egg is a classic for a reason! It really does blow lay audiences away!!

Do a search here on the Café-Have made many posts on this effect in shows etc.....

I perform this in every show I do -mainly for corporates/cabaret & stage shows -If I only have 1 talking routine due to time limits with Music act/ Illusions etc-This is what I do

Did it recently for 600 people in an auditorium & you could have heard a pin drop prior to breaking the egg in a glass bowl on a small table on stage-The reactions as mentioned in other posts are amazing!-Huge applause & laughter etc-Many comments after shows about this effect!

This is a classic-dont tell to many people or they will all use it!!!!! Keep it our secret

Cheers

-Brent
[quote]
On 2007-11-01 13:21, Bob Sanders wrote:
In Finland, are the eggs white or brown? In most of Europe they are brown.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[/quote]

Actually you can find both from allmost any store but I usually use white ones. However they usually have small red stamp on em but it isn't really noticeable from few feet even.

J-M
[quote]
On 2007-10-31 13:11, Bob Sanders wrote:
You tell'em Andy! "Greatest Hits" would never sell. (I'll be back from the bank in a minute.)

Let the new guys build their careers on experimental stuff. There's no point in doing what always works. Repeat audiences will grow to expect it!

I buy so many eggs people think I could cook!

It is a true reputation builder.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[/quote]

Agree with Bob-

I too use so many eggs-I could run a bakery!!!!!!!!

Biggest problem Hows this for weird!!

1 Part of our city doesn't sell white eggs at all!!-Believe me Ive rung around for years

I have to travel about 30 kms to pick up a tray of white eggs that I use for this effect

As we do a lot of promotional work for shows prior to the eveningI am always presenting this to college assemblies etc so use plenty! also many outdoor festivals-This wonderful piece of magic plays very strong

Even weirder Last week I flew 1000kms to do 3 shows & I took 2 white eggs with me as I wasnt sure what the availability was in the city-Sure enough-No white eggs there either, shows you how much I respect this trick to perform it -

Cheers
Go to a craft store and see if they sell some kind of paint that will match the fake. It has to be some kind of egg shell finish to it or it just looks like an Easter Egg. If you can get the color to match the ones your town sells, then you don't have to search for white eggs. Bring Mohammed to the mountain.
Today's show is over and another audience that was killed with a real egg.

Life is good!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[quote]
On 2007-11-03 19:12, mtpascoe wrote:
Go to a craft store and see if they sell some kind of paint that will match the fake. It has to be some kind of egg shell finish to it or it just looks like an Easter Egg. If you can get the color to match the ones your town sells, then you don't have to search for white eggs. Bring Mohammed to the mountain.
[/quote]

Often thought about this-painting eggs

If availability becomes very scarce-Brown eggs everywhere!! I will consider this

At present a 20 min drive is worth having 24 white eggs that match Viking Magic Fakes that are amazing in there realistic look

Cheers
Anybody ever do the napkin to egg? You tear a white paper napkin up in a glass, roll the glass around until an egg materializes ..then you proceed to the big finish and crack it open in the glass. I've had good reaction with this one.
This is the egg on fan except it is in a glass.
That is also a great trick but it is not Silk to Egg. (Some where out on the Internet there is a video showing me performing it. Check with Ricker here on The Café.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I perform Silk to Egg in every stand-up show I do, usually as my second trick but occasionally as a prearranged "encore." The handling I use is straight out of Rice's "Encyclopedia of Silk Magic"--the same routine that Whit Haydn uses. IMHO, it's an exceptionally clean routine.

I've used both the Viking egg and the Eggsactly egg (medium), and each has its pros and cons. I like the weight of the Viking egg when it comes time to do the shuttle pass (the egg almost automatically turns hole-downward), but it's little large for my hands. I like the size of the Eggsactly egg, but its a tad too light and I have to be more attentive to putting a slight spin on it when I do the pass. So I bounce back and forth between the two.

You only need to perform it once to understand why its a classic.
Donal,

Write me. I'm going to make your day!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
If you have problem with the red stamp on the white egg (at least in Estonia all the eggs are stampted) use a fine grain sandpaper to wipe it off.
That little piece of work (sanding VERY lightly) will also make them work better in an egg bag.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob,
Don't you make eggs for this effect? Aren't they brown eggs? Thanks.

I wonder if Tarbell has a routine for this effect in his books? Anyone know?

Jim
Bob is exceedingly enthusiastic about his DoveLite eggs, and for good reason.

After reading my earlier post regarding the pros and cons of the Viking egg and the Tirofog "Eggasactly" egg, Bob sent me his DoveLite Silk to Egg props for comparison. He did indeed make my day.

As Bob suspected, I found the DoveLite egg to be a perfect balance between the Viking Egg and the Tirofog egg. It has the heft of the Viking egg but is virtually no larger than a medium Tirofog egg. Additionally, there is a slight texture to the surface of the DoveLite egg that makes for greater ease in handling, particularly if you do a routine (as I do) in which the gimmick egg and the real egg are both in your hand at the same time.

Bob was also spot-on regarding the size of the hole in the DoveLite egg. It's definitely large enough to fit over one's thumb and that, combined with the DoveLite egg's lesser fragility (when compared to the Tirofog egg), makes working an 18" silk into the egg quick and effortless. Bob says the egg will hold a 24" diamond cut silk, and I have no doubt it would. I was able to get a full-sized 24" silk into it with only a modicum of force.

My only concern regarding the DoveLite egg has to do with its porosity. Because it's made of unfinished porcelain (or some other ceramic material), it absorbs water, oil, etc. I asked Bob if, because of that, the egg would become discolored or noticably darker with use, and he responded that darkening wasn't a problem but that the eggs can get marks on them from other items that may be in one's pocket when the egg is there (keys, coins, etc.). If that happens he recommends washing them with a little baby shampoo and then letting them dry naturally or force drying them with a blow dryer. He also said that very dark marks and rust can be removed by buffing the egg with a very fine sandpaper or a sanding sponge. I test sanded my egg after putting a mark on it with a key, and the mark was quickly erased.

While it was not my intention to make this post a "Latest and Greatest" review, I thought that others would find a report of my experiments with this particular prop to be of benefit. Consider me a DoveLite convert!
How About A Hard Boiled Egg???

Just wondered if anyone has every tried the finish with a hard boiled egg? Break shell, peal egg, and break solid egg up into pieces. Would certainly solve the problem of a broken egg at the wrong time.

Just wonder what you guys think?

Thanks and have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
[quote]
On 2007-11-22 17:37, JamesinLA wrote:
Bob,
Don't you make eggs for this effect? Aren't they brown eggs? Thanks.

I wonder if Tarbell has a routine for this effect in his books? Anyone know?

Jim
[/quote]

Jim,

We have both the white and brown eggs. The brown eggs are especially hot in Europe where apparently they have brown real eggs in the stores and New England where brown eggs are valued.

I use a brown egg as a TT frequently because it works with 18" silks and sponge balls when TT won't.

Brown eggs just don't flash! The pros like them.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I've got the Silk to Egg, both colors (brown and white) and the classic and the Walk Around version over at http://www.silkmagic.biz. Comes with two silks, egg(s) and stickers.

Even doing it close up for a friend both versions KILL.
[quote]
On 2007-11-05 21:49, Donal Chayce wrote:
I perform Silk to Egg in every stand-up show I do, usually as my second trick but occasionally as a prearranged "encore." The handling I use is straight out of Rice's "Encyclopedia of Silk Magic"--the same routine that Whit Haydn uses. IMHO, it's an exceptionally clean routine.

I've used both the Viking egg and the Eggsactly egg (medium), and each has its pros and cons. I like the weight of the Viking egg when it comes time to do the shuttle pass (the egg almost automatically turns hole-downward), but it's little large for my hands. I like the size of the Eggsactly egg, but its a tad too light and I have to be more attentive to putting a slight spin on it when I do the pass. So I bounce back and forth between the two.

You only need to perform it once to understand why it's a classic.
[/quote]

The Rice Encyclopedia has a whole section on this in Volume 3, Chapter 21. And Lesson 19 in TarBell Volume 1 is another chapter with good instructions on the regular Silk to Egg.

Only recently have I published my Walk-Around Version of Silk to Egg although it is in my silk lectures and I have performed it for over thirty-five years. (It is certainly audience tested!) Those instructions are on the orange sheet packed in the China Egg Kit for The Walk-Around Version of Silk to Egg. (It also contains the extra matching egg prop you'll need.)

Classics aren't classics without good reason. They are as basic to this business as the wheel is to transportation.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
This week I got an email from a magician we have known here on The Café. He is considering using the solid egg instead of the real egg because he had a real egg break "prematurely". He would not post his experience here so I will not embarrass Mr. Kohler by using his name.

Please assure him he is not the first to have a real egg break "prematurely". (Of course, I have no personal experience. OK, OK --- not this week. Guess why a pro has a backup egg?)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Magicians might find this trick old, but the laymen reaction is always great! And that is what counts for a pro. But it's not only the trick itself, but the presentation!
I was hired on a cruise and they didn't allow me to bring eggs on the ship. Security, security! On the ship they had only -brown eggs. I was prepared. I brought some paint! Since it is more and more difficult to obtain white eggs, the paint works very good. I prefer white eggs BTW, because of contrast and better visibility.
I have learned to be prepared for both colors too.

Check your email. I sent you email at kppfeiffer@netcologne.de

Bob
Thanks Bob, I'll check my mailbox.
BTW, I use the Zimmeregg, a gimmick/routine by Dick Zimmerman. Very clever, no shuttle pass etc. neccessary.
White eggs are much superior for contrast. I use them every chance I get.

However, for eggs the audience NEVER sees, I like brown because it can't flash! Catch a lecture sometime and I'll demonstrate.

When magicians on the Gulf Coast buy brown egg gimmicks where there are mostly white real eggs, they know something!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Jan 27, 2008 05:48PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-18 13:31, fakiir wrote:
If you have problem with the red stamp on the white egg (at least in Estonia all the eggs are stampted) use a fine grain sandpaper to wipe it off.
[/quote]
Couldn't you just stick the sticker over the red stamp? The stamp comes off when I put a wet paper towel on it for just a bit.

Bob Sanders sells a great Silk to Egg called The Walk-around Silk to Eggs! Wow! When I opened the package, the egg looked so real I expected it to be warm from the hen! It is even heavy like an egg! Amazing. The texture of the egg is just like a real egg. It is easy to grip, and never slips.

I asked for a brown egg, because I love the natural look of brown eggs. This is mostly the color of egg I find in Europe. In America, I can easily buy these brown eggs in any grocery store. Most of the organic eggs are brown.

Hint: Don't be afraid to open the egg carton to check the color of the eggs [and to check for broken eggs].

Incidentally, Bob's silks are pure silk from China 5 Momme and they drape like butter! Ooh! Every time I touch these silks I am never sure if I want to use them for magic or wear them!

And yes, this trick KILLS!
I second the praise for Bob's Walk-around Silk to Egg! A great piece of magic with an instant re-set and high quality props. If you want to be able to do Egg to Silk a dozen times back to back without carrying a carton of eggs, this effect is a must-have.

I wouldn't worry about a red stamp on the egg. Why run if you aren't being chased?

My biggest problem with the effect is there are three of us in my club that want to use it in their act. That's not a bad thing unless we are performing back to back.

David
David,

Throw them a real curve and use sponge balls instead of the silk! Then have the sponge balls turn back into the silk.

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

To all of you,

Thanks a million for the kind words. The Walk-Around Silk to Egg was my monopoly for 35 years. I never dreamed people would jump on it like they have. Sucker Silk to Egg - Kills and the Walk-around Version lets you use it where health departments will not. Even better, I love tricks that re-set.

Thanks again. Enjoy!

Bob

PS --- You do know that Silk to Egg can be done with ribbon, sponge balls or even paper money! then have them reappear elsewhere after the egg.
I just got the viking egg in today and wow it looks so realistic, I do have to say that I'm alittle dispointed though. A few years back I bought Vernet Version and I wasn't happy at all, that version made me stay away from other versions for years, when I opened the viking my first reaction was holy cow, or should I say holy hen this looks so real but I think its too light. I'm a big guy with big hands and I feel that I'm going to break this thing just by grabbing it. I will give it a few performances and see what happens I guess.
[quote]
On 2008-03-07 21:15, close_up_act wrote:
I just got the viking egg in today and wow it looks so realistic, I do have to say that I'm alittle dispointed though. A few years back I bought Vernet Version and I wasn't happy at all, that version made me stay away from other versions for years, when I opened the viking my first reaction was holy cow, or should I say holy hen this looks so real but I think its too light. I'm a big guy with big hands and I feel that I'm going to break this thing just by grabbing it. I will give it a few performances and see what happens I guess.
[/quote]

If you break the Viking egg in your bare hands you are simply "holding" (read: squeezing) it much too tightly!
I'm looking for different body loading devices that will hold the egg. I really don't like loading it from the pocket. I made a simple one from a bent coat hanger that holds sometimes and sometimes not. I would not feel comfortable walking around too much for fear of the egg falling out. I was wondering if the ball holders that manipulators use would hold an egg firmly and allow for easy release.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Howard
Howard,

Contact Ian (MagicIanS here on The Café). He sells a nice leather "dropper" that pins into your coat.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Thanks, Bob!
I just performed the sucker silk to egg for a group of middle school students I was speaking in chapel for. I used it as an object lesson for the message I gave. I believe this is the first trick I have done for them which got audible gasps. I take that to mean it went over well. I used Duane Laflin's handling from his Sensation Silk magic video. I like to end with the real egg. I agree, this trick is great! Now I just need to get myself a good fake egg. I made one up myself for this performance, but want to get a nice one. I'll have to add it to the growing list of "things to get."
[quote]
On 2008-03-11 23:45, Howard Coberly wrote:
I'm looking for different body loading devices that will hold the egg. I really don't like loading it from the pocket. I made a simple one from a bent coat hanger that holds sometimes and sometimes not. I would not feel comfortable walking around too much for fear of the egg falling out. I was wondering if the ball holders that manipulators use would hold an egg firmly and allow for easy release.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Howard
[/quote]

I'm told that Lynetta Welch makes an excelleng egg holder. Here's a link to her website: http://www.fabricmanipulations.com
So are the any good DVD's of the SIlk to Egg out there? I know I know I should read it in a book but my reading time has been swallowed up by my kids.
John,

Check your emails

Bob
Ok I've played around and performed Bob Sanders Silk to Egg Walk-Around version, check out a full review from the quality, the weight, the look and the effect itself... http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=251442&forum=109&7

junior
Last week I lectured at the International Battle of Magicians and in Kentucky on Silk to Egg and the Walk-Around version. I think that put it in the plans for a lot of magicians there. It routines well with other tricks.

For the rest of May I will be lecturing in Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, New York and New Jersey. I hope I get to meet some of you out here.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
The Walk Around Silk to Egg really catches people off guard in a strolling act. It's like they expect to see coins, cards etc... from the strolling magician, but when the magi produces an egg, it just seems to floor them.
Something many may not know is that they can get these Walk-Around Silk To Egg sets (as well as other silk products) from:

http://www.chameleonfabrications.com

Currently, they are Canada's only supplier!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Michael Ammar has a very clean silk to egg which makes clever use of his favorite secret weapon...the topit. He teaches it on his old Steven's Magic "Greater Magic Video Series."
L. Zaslow
Actually Michael hasn't used the Topit method for many years. An updated handling, which is SUPER CLEAN is in his book The Magic of Michael Ammar. I've used his handling for years. I did use the Topit method prior and his updated version is by far the better of the two method.

Earlier in this thread there was talk about brown eggs. I had a talk with Ammar about his dilemma with brown eggs when he goes to Europe. Apparently there is a several shades of brown, so matching the egg to the gimmick can be a problem at times. Instead of carrying around several brown gimmicks, Michael just paints the real brown egg white. Problem solved.
We just sent a bunch of brown egg gimmicks to Europe because they do match! It is here in the USA where we have played genetic games until the brown eggs have speckles. We have also fed marigold seeds to make the chicken skins yellow for the city folks in the grocery stores that think it means a healthy chicken!

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander

PS --- Come to the ranch sometime and see what color natural brown eggs are.
Bob's Walk-Around Silk to Egg is simply the best!

Whether you use Bob's routine, Michael Ammar's or whoever's (preferably your own), the props are sheer perfection!

Andy
Thanks Andy!

We try hard.

Currently, the demand for the brown eggs is unusually high. They have always been the favorites in Europe and the UK. However, I personally like to use the brown one like a huge thumb tip or hank ball. The audience never sees it and being brown (very much like flesh) on ceramic it doesn't flash like the shinny painted mental ones do.

It will hold five 2" supersoft sponge balls for a stash or a 24" square silk. Eggs aren't just for breakfast anymore! LOL!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Canadians can get Bob's Walk Around Silk to Egg either directly from us at http://www.chameleonfabrications.com or from these brick and mortar shops:

Morrissey Magic in Toronto
Browser's Den in Toronto
Kind of Magic in Waterloo
Rob,

From email questions I get, apparently magicians from all over the world are getting them from Canadian dealers. That's great!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- The most often asked question is how to clean them. I recommend using baby shampoo. Walk-around magicians are subjected to salad dressing, butter, ketchup, gravy, etc. on props handled by spectators. Clean up will be needed for a working magician.
Hello everybody.

I'm not really sure of how to end the routine. I use a real egg for the finale, wich gives great reactions but is a bit messy. I currently have the glass on a small tray. I use paper towels to clean my hands directly afterwards, but the glass and the tray often get messy and I don't want the audience to see me cleaning everything up with paper.

It's like watching a magician performing the "card on ceiling" as a final trick, and after the applause has faded he walks around the stage, bending down to pick up the cards. It's just not very graceful.

I would love if anyone could give me tips on avoiding messiness.

Pardon my spelling.

Tom.
You don't need to have a gooey egg yolk and egg white mess fall out of the egg to prove the point that the vanished handkerchief is not in the egg. The egg can be filled with jelly beans (Easter Egg) which makes no mess, but gets the point across that the silk is not inside. Other inserts could include a pearl necklace, M&M's, confetti, sand or salt (for the start of a sand or salt pour routine), or even a handkerchief of a different color.
Hello Tom,

Here are two different endings that we have used and both use blown eggs.

First, if you have OLEC then crack the egg into the cage and release a live bird. Or, second, palm a SnowStorm load and crush the egg shell and do a SnowStorm with a fan, blowing away the eggshell bits in the storm.
Hi, Tom...

I agree, things can get a bit messy when cracking open a real egg. I don't know if there's a "one size fits all" solution, but here's mine.

1. I use a glass with a very large mouth. I used to use a large, heavy, margarita glass, but for the past several years I've been using a jumbo-sized rocks glass (the glass that I'm holding in my avatar photo). The mouth of the jumbo rocks glass is not as large as that of the margarita glass, but the rocks glass is more in keeping with my character. Indeed, it helps to establish my character as it contains a couple of (faux) ice cubes and is half-filled when "scotch" (diluted tea, really) when I enter holding it. I take a sip from it after I enter and then sit it on my table, where it rests during my first routine. I take another sip from it at the start of my second routine (which is the silk to egg routine), and I then finish off the "scotch" in a single gulp when I pick up the glass to crack the egg into it.

If it wasn't for the character boost I get from using the rocks glass, I would still be using the margarita glass or some sort of other wide mouth, stemmed glass (e.g., a martini glass), as it's much easier to keep the egg off of your hands if you use a stemmed glass and hold the glass by the stem when cracking open the egg.

2. I hold the glass in one hand and crack the egg open with the other hand (practice makes perfect). I first crack the egg on the edge of the glass and then make sure that the egg is directly over the mouth of the glass before I break it open. Needless to say, I drop the egg shells into the glass as well.

3. At the conclusion of the routine (i.e., as the applause is winding down, I place the glass containing the egg into a small, shallow Tupperware container that sits on a shelf inside my table (it's out of the view of the audience).

4. I then visibly wipe my hands with a small cloth towel (cotton, but not terry cloth) that's been dampened and then folded and placed into the same Tupperware container prior to the show. I generally speak the lines that bridge the now-ended routine with my next routine while I'm wiping my hands.

5. After I've wiped my hands, I replace the towel from whence it came in the table. (BTW--I don't stand behind the table, rather I stand to the left of it.)

That's it, except to say that if I happen to get a lot of the raw egg on my hand(s), it takes a bit more effort to wipe them clean and, accordingly, the lotion I've rubbed into them prior to the show may need to be "topped off". I keep a small bottle of that lotion in my table for just such an occasion, and if I feel I need to add a little lotion to my hands after I've wiped them I just bring out the bottle, squeeze a bit onto my hand, and then rub it in while I continue to talk. I usually don't even comment on it--the audience has already seen me "wash" my hands, so I figure they understand what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. I takes about 10 seconds, 15 seconds tops.

That's my handling--take whatever is useful and leave the rest.
I've never found a reason to apologize for real egg behaving like a real egg. (And I keep a napkin handy for accidents.) For those of you who know me, I go through several dozens of real eggs a week. They have to be the world's cheapest consumable magic prop. (It makes card work expensive!)

There are a couple of suggestions from my silk lectures (that include Silk to Egg).

1. When using real eggs in magic, always take them out of the refrigerator the night before showtime. It improves the appearance. (The visible thin spots on the shell go away and the egg is simply prettier.) Equally important, the egg cracks with more control! (Ask a real chef for help! They don't use cold eggs.) Americans use cold "fresh" eggs because they are months old when they get to market. Eggs are kept cold in long term storage until sold.

2. My Walk-Around version of Silk to Egg allows the volunteer to actually hold a cold egg and gives you an "out" for not cracking it. (It becomes something else.)

If you do magic for children or drunks, I can't believe the occasional messy egg bothers you. LOL

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
So many good tips in just one day!

Thank you for spending time on helping me.

Spellbinder, your tips could give the trick lots of different effects, along with getting rid off the messy problem.

RJE, I don't know what an OLEC is, but snowstorm is an option.

Mr Chayce, lots of useful practical tips. I often use a beer glass (thats what fits my personality!) and I will experiment with glasses with wider mouth and a stem. But perhaps the most important thing for me is to practice cracking eggs with one hand.

Mr Sanders, I will try eggs that have been out of the fridge for a night, but I don't know what visible thin spots you talk about. Oh, and I will try to get the audience more drunk.

I don't know what you mean by "It becomes something else". I've read only good things about your product, but I can't recall a transformation. Maybe I have misunderstood completely?

Tons of thanks and pardon my spelling.

Tom.
Tom,

In Sweden, don't you have brown eggs? Most people don't know that the props are available for both brown and white eggs.

Currently, we are working on tour for over there for 2010. Hopefully, we'll get a chance to meet and chat.

Enjoy your egg magic. It kills!

Bob
Magic By Sander

PS --- OLEC is Orange, Lemon, Egg and Canary (Production order)
Thanks again, mr Sanders.

We have mostly white eggs in Sweden. It would be nice to catch a lecture with you.

Tom.
Bob

Great information, but I couldn't find silk to egg on your website. In fact, I couldn't find any products for sale on your site. Is there a different site than the one in your posts?

thanks
John
John,

Thank you for looking but I don't maintain a website for DoveLite Silk. We are not retailers. We are the importers.

I'll PM you.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Thanks Bob, I got the information.

Posted: May 9, 2009 10:34am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like peoples thoughts on whether the sucker silk to egg effect would be a good closer or not (for a parlor/stage show).

I like the effect, but it seems that the audience's reaction might be more along the lines of "Huh!" (with a turning of the head) instead of "wow!"; sorry for the technical terms.

As such, it would be better suited as an opening effect, getting peoples attention, and preping people for what is to come. The "wow" response is what I think I would want for the closer, and would be more likely with a production, or something physcially big and impressive on stage?

I would like to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Thanks;
John
The ideal finale is to produce the chicken that laid the egg, thus answering the age old question of which came first. Of course, there's always Grant's old Chicken Egg Bag, but the modern versions aren't as funny looking and nothing beats producing a real live squawking feather flying chicken for a grand finale. Good luck and watch your eyes and fingers.
Yes, I saw a video clip of Lance Burton doing that. His routine was cute, because of the kids, but it did not seem overly "magical".
Whether or not S2E makes for a good closer is really dependent on: (1) what comes before it; and (2) your presentation. That said, I've never used it as a closer, but I have occasionally used it as a stand-alone piece.

It has a terrific climax and the plot can make for some good theatre.
John,

Today, I used sucker Silk to Egg combined with 20th Century Silk as my closer in a Founders' Day and an Auto Show. Having the real egg produced and then having the volunteer produce the "missing" silk tied between the other two she held from the beginning made a great ending. The volunteers are so surprised that they really lead the audience for you. (And they clap at the right place!)

My answer is YES!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I love silk to egg
Many times I have used this effect in conjunction with 'baking a cake' -- I have all the ingredients but have forgotten the eggs. So, I take or produce a silk, change it into an egg and break it into the 'hat' or whatever I am using. On the 4th of July, I used red, white and blue silks and got eggs of the same color -- and then the cake was striped too.
Agreed.

Egg trick. T&R newspaper. Cut and restored rope. They always get the biggest reactions. Like the man said, do something extraordinary with the ordinary, not vice versa.
I'm spending a lot of time in France now and until the end of August doing Silk to Egg.

Here they are even more surprised because the eggs are brown and that is no special problem with the right props. (Even magicians are surprised. They have never seen the good ceramic gimmick for brown eggs.)

By the time I leave Paris, I'm sure there will be plenty of them hard at work.

I really like using the brown one because it can't flash. Since it will also hold six 2" sponge balls or a full 24" silk, it works double duty.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Where are you working in France, Bob? I'm headed to London in December to do a few shows and would love to hop into Paris or somewhere in that vicinity as well, but I haven't been able to give my publicist much in the way of contacts over there because I'm unfamiliar with the area.
Currently I'm near Moncontour. Tonight's show was a private affair for essentially British investors in France. I don't think an agent would be any help on that one.

My corporate and contacts as a graduate business professor have been the most valuable here. (There are also some publishing projects in the works.)

For someone without that existing network, I am not much help. However, I would think an agent here would be much more effective here than one in the USA.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Silk to Egg killed tonight here too! Do remember that eggs here are brown.
Just my two cents on using Silk To Egg as a good closer...I always close with it. I can't follow it. It's perfect. I really liked Bob's idea using it in conjunction with 20th Century also. I think that was three cents.
Now that we are back in the States, I'll have to admit that I haven't performed this since last night! Lucy and I did a theater show with the works and the very first comment I heard after the show was about the real egg! Paying audiences love it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[quote]
On 2009-08-26 02:33, gician wrote:
Just my two cents on using Silk To Egg as a good closer...I always close with it. I can't follow it. It's perfect. I really liked Bob's idea using it in conjunction with 20th Century also. I think that was three cents.
[/quote]

In 2010, we will start offering the Walk-around Silk to Egg set in combination with a 20th Century set and it will save you the costs of the duplicate silks. They will also be available with the 24" professional size 20th Century Silks until the 24" size in inventory are gone. The colors available are really good. There are not enough to offer to magic shops. Sorry!

Happy New Year!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Catch me in a lecture and ask me how to combine this with Knots-Off Silk for a longer routine. It flows well and really packs small.

[quote]
On 2007-12-21 05:30, KPPfeiffer wrote:
Magicians might find this trick old, but the laymen reaction is always great! And that is what counts for a pro. But it's not only the trick itself, but the presentation!
I was hired on a cruise and they didn't allow me to bring eggs on the ship. Security, security! On the ship they had only -brown eggs. I was prepared. I brought some paint! Since it is more and more difficult to obtain white eggs, the paint works very good. I prefer white eggs BTW, because of contrast and better visibility.
[/quote]

I use brown eggs when I can. They are available from us! It's about all they use in Europe. (They are also much less likely to flash.)

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
Hi All,

This is one of the first tricks I learned over 20 years ago. I was taking lessons from a local magician who taught me the silk to egg. Everything is done from my pockets. Gimmick egg, real egg and 2 silks.

I have performed this for kid and family shows and always get a great reaction. The first gasp comes when I pull the sticker off and the second comes when the egg gets cracked.

I have no idea where this version came from, but I have never needed a reason to look into another way of doing it. I perform it as I am going to teach the audience a trick. I explaing what I am doing and why? I make the switch right in my pocket.

When I first started to perform the trick I wanted the sticker to look real. I cut up some old silks and used double sided tape, they came out great and gave a 3D illusion to the sticker. Rubber cement helped out keeping it in place.

John
I've gone a week without performing this. Fortunately, Tuesday will change that and withdrawal will end.

Will I live? LOL

Silk to Egg - Kills!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- The phone just rang! Sunday night will be an opportunity.
Remember friends, you can always get the Dovelite silk to eggs at http://www.silkmagic.biz.

Silk to egg does kill...

And think, with the Dovelite version you get to talk to Bob about it right here!
Hey Bob-

As You know I use this in all my corporate work & Theatre shows with good success over the years

I liked your idea of combining it with 20th Century silks

Am I right in assuming you put the 2 silks in a glass or assistant holds etc then do the silk to egg as per
Then after the egg is broken into Glass you produce it between the hankies etc...

Question as you have performed this!!-

Does producing the silk between the 2 hankies detract from the climax of the egg breaking
or add to the effect

I know Ammar pulled it from his forehead at the conclusion etc.....

Love your feedback on this as it sounds great

Cheers Brent
Brent,

It is a killer trick made into a routine with 20th Century Silks. I haven't performed it since my three shows yesterday! LOL (I work it to death and people still ask for it.)

Your understanding of performance order is correct. It is important to work hard on the 20th Century Silks part to give your assistant credit to sustain the climax. It is perfectly acceptable to ask for applause for your assistant. The audience is still connected. Timing is a learned thing, as you know from experience. It takes effort to learn how to keep the effects connected but it is certainly attainable. Keep the audience busy.

Go for it!

Thanks for the good question.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob-

Great advice as usual-appreciated!!

I will work on keeping the interest between the egg breaking
,applause for the spectator and revelation of the silk

Cheers for that

Brent
Ok guys you talked me into it. I had been debating on putting this into my show. I used to perform it years ago. I had forgotten what a huge reaction this always gets. Especially from a lay audience.
Don't forget the Walk-Around Silk to Egg works for the Restaurant workers. I'm gonna do it this weekend at my gig.

Bob and I 'eat our own dog food', (meaning we use our own products). One thing about Bob, is that if he uses it, you know it's a good thing.

He is a 'legend' you know. ;)
Hi, I think this effect is a killer also. I don't perform it because I do a eggbag routine and I don't like using the same element. Plus I do hanky vanish with fl**h paper, and again the egg to silk has the same procedure (vanishing a silk).

But, I was asked to do a 15min show with my strongest magic for some enterprises that deal only with corporate events. So, I thought: egg to silk! (along with linking rings and the snowstorm with the snowstorm animator)

I used to do the effect (before doing the eggbag) like my dad taught me. "Demonstrating how its done" to do the exchange. Then I went a step further. I explain that its a trick. But I do not go all over the procedure, I'm not "teaching". I talk about the difference between a trick and a mystery. In some point during the explanation I exchange the g*mmicked egg for the real egg that has tissue paper glued on it. Then I take the tissue paper off the egg and break the egg in a glass.

Doing some research here in the café I found this...

[quote]
On 2010-04-11 03:43, Brent McLeod wrote:

I know Ammar pulled it from his forehead at the conclusion etc.....

[/quote]

Does someone think this could be an anti-climax? I was thinking that with propper presentation and patter this extra-finale could be interesting.

and another question. Like I said, I use tissue paper (like if a bit of silk is coming out) glued to the egg instead of the "hole" illusion. Does this make a big difference? Because I'm considering the "hole" because maybe it would provide a easier handling.

Thanks
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Apr 27, 2010 10:52PM)
[quote]
On 2007-12-18 18:32, Bob Sanders wrote:
This week I got an email from a magician we have known here on The Café. He is considering using the solid egg instead of the real egg because he had a real egg break "prematurely". He would not post his experience here so I will not embarrass Mr. Kohler by using his name.

Please assure him he is not the first to have a real egg break "prematurely". (Of course, I have no personal experience. OK, OK --- not this week. Guess why a pro has a backup egg?)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[/quote]
Opposite for me first time I tried out my Viking and Tirofog eggs in a routine I dropped and cracked the viking on the switch. Neddless to say a miserable experience. In front of my girlfreind too!

[quote]
On 2010-02-25 10:56, jmdibrita wrote:
Hi All,

This is one of the first tricks I learned over 20 years ago. I was taking lessons from a local magician who taught me the silk to egg. Everything is done from my pockets. Gimmick egg, real egg and 2 silks.

I have performed this for kid and family shows and always get a great reaction. The first gasp comes when I pull the sticker off and the second comes when the egg gets cracked.

I have no idea where this version came from, but I have never needed a reason to look into another way of doing it. I perform it as I am going to teach the audience a trick. I explaing what I am doing and why? I make the switch right in my pocket.

When I first started to perform the trick I wanted the sticker to look real. I cut up some old silks and used double sided tape, they came out great and gave a 3D illusion to the sticker. Rubber cement helped out keeping it in place.

John
[/quote]
So in another wards the Viking version before the Viking version.

[quote]
On 2007-11-29 08:28, Walking Bob wrote:
How About A Hard Boiled Egg???

Just wondered if anyone has every tried the finish with a hard boiled egg? Break shell, peal egg, and break solid egg up into pieces. Would certainly solve the problem of a broken egg at the wrong time.

Just wonder what you guys think?

Thanks and have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
[/quote]
Genius it wouldn't break plus even the possibility of carfully cutting it in half not breaking the shell aside from a slight cut around it then take out the yellow center replacing it with a duplicate scarf, chosen card or coin stuff like that. Then glue it back together painting over the seam on the shell.

Posted: Apr 28, 2010 12:13am Reply with quote Send a Private Message View Profile of J.G. the magnificent Edit/Delete This Post Report this post to forum moderator View Posters IP (Moderators/Admins Only)
I found that when using a billiard ball for friends they confused it for an egg. Which I find rediculous because the size, shape, and shade are way different but That made me think. I then started carrying both that and my Tirofog. If they commented on the ball confusing it for an egg I stated no this is an egg pulled out my Tirofog and got a laugh with them finding it odd that I carried an egg around. Much like I started doing with my sponge balls. If they confuse them with clown noses I pull one out put it on and go on with my routine and the clown nose make for attention gathering more people. I am tall so people see my head with a clown nose on.
I've been sending a lot of these oversea's latley. France, Germany, Ireland, Britain, etc.

I need Bob to break down and get back this way. Once I get a performance video of him doing silk to egg w/ 20th century, silkmagic.biz can do a DVD, like we do with the Improved THIS!
Has anyone purchase the egg to silk from seo magic before? if any one does, can you please pm me with your thought? I will be greatful.
Hey Bob,

Any tips for getting raw egg out of a sport coat?

Brandon
The best thing to use in cleaning up raw egg is Cold Water! That is true on most things from silk to leather. Protein simply cleans up best this way. One piece of good news is that egg liquids don't penetrate as effectively as plain cold water.

Good question! Egg accidents do indeed happen.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (May 23, 2010 08:06PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdRPkzUzOH8 I love the way he uses patter to mask the switch it fooled me the firt time I watched it. Not only that but that he doesn't use any official magic pass. He just bunches the scaf behind the silk egg and well I can't give the secret away but you get the idea from watching the video. I should try something like what he does.
I've come a little late to this discussion and have not read every post so forgive me if somebody already made this suggestion. Brent, if you can't find white eggs where you live why not buy your own white egg laying chicken?
Great idea! I hope the other people in my apartment building understand!
Just make sure you don't get a rooster by mistake! :goof:
The silk to egg is a great trick. I do it early in my show. What about the rest of you?
The most common problem I hear from magicians who have performed Silk to Egg is that the real egg gets broken before showtime.

My solution is to use the plastic Easter eggs for kids as my "egg carrier". Real eggs will fit safely inside some of these. I also have my gimmicks stored in them.

Mine came from a dollar store!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I take an empty carton of eggs and cut it in half (1/2 dozen size) to use for carrying the gimmick and a couple of eggs. Putting it all in a plastic bag like you get at the grocery store to protect your props doesn't hurt either if one of the eggs does break. I always bring an extra spare egg or two just in case one breaks.
I'll be releasing my version of Silk To Egg on DVD in the months to come. On the DVD I go over every aspect of the routine...including transport!

Here is what I personally use to carry eggs to shows...never had a broken egg!

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-812A-Hiker-Egg-Carrier/dp/B000ECQ8B4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1283345761&sr=8-5

These can also be found at Wal-Mart in the camping section for around $3.00. They will hold your real egg, back up real egg, gimmicked egg, and silks all in one nice carrying case.

Hope this info helps!

Cody S. Fisher
I've just finished on Thursday a 15 min Promo show for 350 Girls at my daughter's High school. The finale was of course "Silk To Egg".
Needless to say as we all know who perfrom it - The response was Huge as were many nice comments after the event.

The more you perform this the more you fine tune the routine & it always gets the response that is real magic.

One comment I was given by a student was-
Everything she ever believed in was shattered when I broke the Egg...

It just couldn't be possible that happened!!!

I may even move the effect to Nos 2 in my cabaret/corporate show as my first talking effect after Music Intro etc. - Powerful stuff this effect..

Cheers
Just wondering what are your opinions regarding "Sucker" type effects, like silk to egg? Do audiences think we are insulting their intelligence?

From the posts here I can see that this isn't a problem, but still wanted to hear your thoughts.
I use this effect normally at the beginning 1 or 2 spot in my shows of 30-40 mins etc but for smaller events like this-

Tues night I worked the Local Classic Comedy Club here with some great other acts in a comedy magic show we've done over the last 5 weeks which was filmed

My finale after numerous gags & a bit of geek Razorblade magic was-

"Silk To Egg"-

Great finish-lots of comedy & ended the 12 min spot well with laughter & good applause.....
This is still the audience killer!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[quote]
On 2010-10-29 03:41, yin_howe wrote:
Just wondering what are your opinions regarding "Sucker" type effects, like silk to egg? Do audiences think we are insulting their intelligence?

[/quote]
Not sure that this is entirely a "sucker" effect, as the explanation you give them for the first phase is, indeed, the true method. You just don't tell them that you're shifting methods. The audience wants to be baffled (why else would they be at a magic show?), so there's no reason they should feel insulted by the second phase. The overall approach of setting expectations and then adding a twist is common to all forms of entertainment, including movies, novels, etc.
I agree! It is a surprise but it should not be an insult to those there to be entertained.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
After reading about this effect and seeing magicians do it, I've decided to put away the big props and go with the tried and true. This way I won't end up with egg on my face! lol
One of life's mysteries is how you can have $20,000 worth of props on stage and what the audience remembers is the ten cent egg!

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
[quote]
On 2011-03-22 08:13, Bob Sanders wrote:
One of life's mysteries is how you can have $20,000 worth of props on stage and what the audience remembers is the ten cent egg!

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
[/quote]

Agree with Bob so much-After hundreds of shows using this. It just works. From 50- 1500 people, it's never failed because audiences are usually dead quiet as they are learning a secret! And this concentration I think helps the ending as it's a total surprise, which works to our advantage ... dead silence to laughing & Applause...

As a professional Worker - I can't say enough about this effect If presented properly.

Brent
This is the effect I wish I had invented.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I say amen. This is a great trick.
As usual, again this week a pro told me that with thousands of dollars worth of props on stage, he still gets asked about that dime egg instead!

Audiences understand that they don't understand it but can't believe that it is a trick.

It's Magic!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Another full stage show night at a convention center when what they ask about is the EGG! (Forget the doves, full stage productions, live orchestra, etc.)

After this show, the facilities staff offered to wash the glass so they could inspect the egg. LOL

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- After the show a member of the audience told me the came to this show because the saw my show six years ago and wanted to see the egg trick again! They simply don't remember the big expensive stuff.
You surprised me!

I just read this in another thread and topic:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=454405&forum=109&20

I'm very flattered.

Thank you so much.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob-

Great to Hear a familiar story again & again....I know too well what you mean!

As you know I work the corporate market here mainly Restaurants Hotels & theatres and I get asked about the Silk to egg all the time...literally hundreds of performances-never fails!!

I eventually analysed my 45-60 min show after speaking to Whit Haydn 1 night here and moved the silk to egg due to its strength to my first talking effect after my opening music intro of 3-4 mins of magic then a few tried tested welcomes & gags to get some good laughs..

This followed by Silk to Egg has changed the whole structure of the show & gets me off to great start with the audience & the rest of the show just flows better & better....

Brent
Brent,

To savvy audiences, Silk to Egg is real magic every time they see it. (It is a frequently requested "Greatest Hit".)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Silk to Egg is also one of the tricks in magic with the most international appeal.
Heres a Pic of me last week Performing Silk to Egg at a series of corporate Events
I have been doing in Dec-
at a fabulous Venue-Villa Maria Winery Estate here in Auckland.

First talking effect I use after Music opening of magic about 4 mins then into this effect...
Great way to have some fun plus a bit of Wow Factor with the audience...
Looking good there Brent, your jacket matches the decor :)
EGAD!!! A FIVE PAGE THREAD!!!
What can I possibly say to add to this? Well, Stuart Ross, my first mentor,taught me the original Tarbell routine in 1946. I used it for about 15 years. (only broke one egg in pocket in 15 years!)

When I started doing schools for the assembly bureaus, I dropped it, but I sure missed it! Then,about 20 years ago Karrell Fox and I got into a discussion about it. He had some ideas that eliminated the switch! I made a few small changes to fit the way I work, and used it the following season. It was always GREAT, now it was even GREATER!

Incidentally, in 1955, I bought from Harold Sterling, four hollow eggs with hole. They were real eggs with some sort of plastic lining. After 50+ years, I only have one left. (Good thing I'm retired!)

Milbourne Christopher wrote in Linking Ring in the 40s that on a cruise ship, he could only get brown eggs. He said he used pancake make up on the egg! I remember a few more anecdotes like that, but in the interest of space,I'll self edit!

For those first 15 years the egg was my closer. It never failed to get a big oooh! a big laugh, AND a big mitt!

Your walk around egg sounds intriguing. In 1950, I bought from George McAthy a CONLEY NO SWITCH EGG. It was a brass egg with a section for the silk (12") and a section for clear detergent--which simulated a real egg white--even had an orange balsa wood yolk! As soon as I was out of the Navy and had pockets again, I reverted to the old way.

I've enjoyed reading down this thread. The various comments were interesting. Especially appreciated the comments and advice of the honorable Robert Sanders. Bob: "An egg is a whole days work for a hen--you sure have gotten 'them there' hens busy!!
After all this time Silk to Egg is the killer for the week again. Don't leave home without it!
My current favorite versions of this effect are Pop Haydn's (his teaching routine is a classic interpretation) and Cody S. Fisher's Silk 2 Egg for its kicker ending. Beautiful routines with beautiful results. Bob Sander's handling is equally classic and his connection to 20th Century Silks in his I Don't Do Blue Material is terrific routining.
[quote]
On 2013-05-31 18:03, Bob Sanders wrote:
After all this time Silk to Egg is the killer for the week again. Don't leave home without it!
[/quote]
As I've mentioned a few times in this thread.. (sorry) agree with Bob...

Pic below is Performing my favourite opening effect at the Comedy Club..
[quote]
On 2013-05-31 22:38, Motley Mage wrote:
My current favorite versions of this effect are Pop Haydn's (his teaching routine is a classic interpretation) and Cody S. Fisher's Silk 2 Egg for its kicker ending. Beautiful routines with beautiful results. Bob Sander's handling is equally classic and his connection to 20th Century Silks in his I Don't Do Blue Material is terrific routining.
[/quote]
If its good enough for them , it is good enough for me.
Packs small. Plays big.
Perhaps the ultimate. " let me explain how this trick works" routine.
[quote]
On 2013-08-23 01:58, jcrabtree2007 wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-05-31 22:38, Motley Mage wrote:
[/quote]
If it's good enough for them , it is good enough for me.
Packs small. Plays big.
Perhaps the ultimate. " let me explain how this trick works" routine.
[/quote]
jcrabtree-
agreed-it's a working performers routine..
I just received mine from Bob Sanders and it looks and feels amazing. He shipped it really quickly too! :) I'm excited about starting my journey with this awesome effect.
I've seen this before but the magician I've seen do it has the added extra of having silk colored yolks. I have no idea how he does it...
This week I use Orange silk for Halloween. Perhaps a ghost silk would be even better.
I'd like too figure out how to do a "Six-foot silk to Ostrich Egg" bit for a Magic Convention.

ONLY Magicians would find that to be humorous!
Too bad we lost Magic Ian July 4th. He could do that.
Rainboguy- There's an ostrich farm just outside of Tucson; if you need an egg, I might be able to help you get one.

But I also want to chime in on the silk to egg effect.

Many thanks to Bob Sanders for putting out such an excellent product. I bought this from Bob a while back and just used it for the first time tonight- other than practice on family and friends- in a children's birthday party show as my closer. They loved it!

I love it too! What a fun effect to perform. In practice I used the walkaround egg and people are just convinced you've handed them a real egg.

Tonight I used a real egg and it was great. I did a close up children's show and this was easy to do. Lots of fun and a wonderful product! Thanks Bob! :)

The silks that came with it seem higher quality than what I'm used to as well. Another plus.

Highly recommended.
Wow! Thank you for the kind words.

Silk and eggs make for great magic.

Bob
Heres a close up version I do in the malls last week-
I combine the silk to egg with a signed $50 note appearance that vanished earlier..
Plays really big to close up crowds..
Great Idea!
I believe that if you opened with Silk to Egg and closed with T&R Newspaper, you could do 30 minutes of f@rt jokes in between and the audience will talk about the great show.
That'd be a gas!
It is really nice idea to use S2E for walk around. I just want to make quick observation that a real white egg when painted(covered) with "FEVICOL" & dried keeps the egg strong. As Mr. Bob Sanders rightly said if you freeze the egg so prepared you can walk around with it for 4 hrs easily. I hope you try it out. Regards, Raj.
I just performed this trick for my fiance this past weekend while preparing breakfast. I wasn't sure how well it went until I got a genuine "shut the front door!" from her when I when I pulled off the sticker. Glad to see there are so many others out there that still enjoy this one.
You know, I have always loved this effect. Never, have I bought it in all my years. I have to get one now that I think about it. I'll add it in with my egg bag routin
Keithe
If you get the Walk-Around Silk to Egg Set, it has a matching egg you can use with Egg Bag. It can also be handed out! It looks and feels like a real egg. (No more shinny light plastic fake eggs that look and feel fake.)
Bob how can I clean the eggs?
The white ceramic ones from me should clean up with "No More Tears Baby Shampoo". Put a cap full of shampoo into a cup of water and use the liquid to sponge off the egg. (Autumn Morning Star uses "Magic Eraser".)

Don't soak the egg since local water can stain it.
Thank you BOB. I will get back to you for some more eggs in the future.
[quote]On May 22, 2014, Bob Sanders wrote:
The white ceramic ones from me should clean up with "No More Tears Baby Shampoo". Put a cap full of shampoo into a cup of water and use the liquid to sponge off the egg. (Autumn Morning Star uses "Magic Eraser".)

Don't soak the egg since local water can stain it. [/quote]

Hello Mr Sanders. I hope you don't mind if I ask you for some advice.

I absolutely love the silk to egg routine. I've seen Rice's Encyclopaedia as a recommended source for learning the moves (although I think I know them already) but it looks like Rice comes in several volumes. Can one still buy the volumes separately and, if so, in which volume will I find silk to egg?

Secondly, do you know of a good source for silks and brown egg gimmicks in the UK?

Thanks you so much in advance.

David
[quote]
On Jun 6, 2014, Foxlute wrote:
[quote]
On May 22, 2014, Bob Sanders wrote:

Don't soak the egg since local water can stain it.
[/quote]

Hello Mr Sanders. I hope you don't mind if I ask you for some advice.

I absolutely love the silk to egg routine. I've seen Rice's Encyclopaedia as a recommended source for learning the moves (although I think I know them already) but it looks like Rice comes in several volumes. Can one still buy the volumes separately and, if so, in which volume will I find silk to egg?

Secondly, do you know of a good source for silks and brown egg gimmicks in the UK?

Thanks you so much in advance.

David
[/quote]

The 4 volumes is not available any longer, only Volume 3 from Silk King Studios, and Volume 4 from www.tricksupply.com websites. They also sell the CD version of all 4 volumes in PDF format. Silk to Egg routines are in Volume 3, Chapter 21.

All silk to egg routines are not the same, Rice, Viking, Sterling, Abbott's, and several others all have versions of the Silk to Egg trick. You have to find the one you like over them all.

Sorry, don't live or ever been to the U.K., but I would like to visit one day. I believe they are available in the U.K. if memory serves me right. Check around, you have so many magic shops in England, I am sure one of them should carry the trick or props only. Here is the most expensive Silk to Egg gimmick I have ever seen, and it from the U.K.: http://www.propdog.co.uk/brown-egg?search=egg Really no need to go that crazy over a gimmick. Here is the Viking Magic version, and they come in brown egg along with the handling of the trick: http://www.vikingmagic.com/Silk-To-Egg%20-%20Deluxe-Routine?filter_name=egg

There I believe I answered all your questions.
[quote]On Jun 6, 2014, Bill Hegbli wrote:

The 4 volumes is not available any longer, only Volume 3 from Silk King Studios, and Volume 4 from www.tricksupply.com websites. They also sell the CD version of all 4 volumes in PDF format. Silk to Egg routines are in Volume 3, Chapter 21.

All silk to egg routines are not the same, Rice, Viking, Sterling, Abbott's, and several others all have versions of the Silk to Egg trick. You have to find the one you like over them all.

Sorry, don't live or ever been to the U.K., but I would like to visit one day. I believe they are available in the U.K. if memory serves me right. Check around, you have so many magic shops in England, I am sure one of them should carry the trick or props only. Here is the most expensive Silk to Egg gimmick I have ever seen, and it from the U.K.: http://www.propdog.co.uk/brown-egg?search=egg Really no need to go that crazy over a gimmick. Here is the Viking Magic version, and they come in brown egg along with the handling of the trick: http://www.vikingmagic.com/Silk-To-Egg%20-%20Deluxe-Routine?filter_name=egg

There I believe I answered all your questions. [/quote]

Thank you very much indeed. You've been most kind and helpful.
Foxlute,

As always, our Walk-Around Silk to Egg is $30 plus shipping. It includes two 18" DoveLite Silks, matching stickers (for Sucker Silk to egg), Two eggs (one gimmicked and one ungimmicked matching egg), and instructions for the Walk-Around Silk to Egg routine.

Eggs can be white or brown. (Most of the ones we ship to the UK and Europe are brown.)

There is plenty of information and evaluations about the props from actual users here on The Magic Café. Here is one http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=454405&forum=109&start=30

They are no longer available from dealers. Unfortunately we ran into problems with some dealers substituting inferior props into DoveLite prop sets.
[quote]On Jun 8, 2014, Bob Sanders wrote:
Foxlute,

As always, our Walk-Around Silk to Egg is $30 plus shipping. It includes two 18" DoveLite Silks, matching stickers (for Sucker Silk to egg), Two eggs (one gimmicked and one ungimmicked matching egg), and instructions for the Walk-Around Silk to Egg routine.

Eggs can be white or brown. (Most of the ones we ship to the UK and Europe are brown.)

There is plenty of information and evaluations about the props from actual users here on The Magic Café. Here is one http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=454405&forum=109&start=30

They are no longer available from dealers. Unfortunately we ran into problems with some dealers substituting inferior props into DoveLite prop sets. [/quote]

Thank you. For some reason (probably from not reading carefully enough)I had assumed you did not supply brown eggs. I think the time has come for me to simply order the set from you and get practicing!

Thanks again.

David
Well I finally was able to try this routine on real people at 3 different shows I worked...I LOVE IT!!! I've gotten the same reactions from each show...the mouths just DROP! They do not expect it...especially when your "showing" them...Again...I LOVE IT!

Dan
In the March 1978 issue of Genii (or MUM, I tore out the page) Topper Martyn wrote a short article on Fred Culpit's method of making a fake egg. It will work for any color egg. It is a "poor person's" version of the Viking egg. I used one that I made for years before buying the Viking egg.
I've recently taken delivery of Bob Sanders' "Silk to Egg" kit. It has everything one needs for this classic trick and the eggs (brown in my case) are absolute perfection. I am really looking forward to performing this effect. (There's a mere matter of hours and hours of practice to get through first but it will be worth it.)
Havent posted here for a while, but as busy as ever in the corporate market & Yes.. Silk to Egg is a main stay of all shows and is such a hit with all audiences, theres a small clip on my website at a show as part of a show reel etc...
I have a question for pure curiosity sake.. I play the effect later rather than sooner in my 45 min act, but was wondering with your own personal experiences..would playing it earlier in your show, 2nd or 3rd effect maybe? get a better reaction..reason Im asking is Pop- Haydn does a fabulous version very early & it works so well,like to hear your comments, I was thinking of using it after a music magic intro then some comerdy intro and straight into it....thanks in advance
[youtube]jeI0O3J7CWU[/youtube]

I have always opened with the Sucker Silk to Egg or the Color-Changing Hank. This is not something that I would normally recommend, especially the Silk to Egg. In the Silk to Egg, the secret is supposedly tipped very early, and it seems lame and obvious, while the explanation goes on for a long time. It is easy to lose the audience at that point. If they decide that you aren't any good, they may lose interest and reject your act before you get to the payoff.

It is essential to be able to hold the audience's attention and interest through the entire explanation with comedy and acting, and not every performer has that sort of ability. It is usually better to put sucker tricks in the second or third position in the show, so that the audience has already decided you were competent and worth watching. They are much more likely to follow you through the maze to the surprise.

Every rule can be broken, though. I use it to open because it establishes my magical character and gets the audience to engage with me intellectually from the get-go. It is worth the drawbacks, I think.
[quote]On Dec 31, 2017, Pop Haydn wrote:
[youtube]jeI0O3J7CWU[/youtube]

I have always opened with the Sucker Silk to Egg or the Color-Changing Hank. This is not something that I would normally recommend, especially the Silk to Egg. In the Silk to Egg, the secret is supposedly tipped very early, and it seems lame and obvious, while the explanation goes on for a long time. It is easy to lose the audience at that point. If they decide that you aren't any good, they may lose interest and reject your act before you get to the payoff.

It is essential to be able to hold the audience's attention and interest through the entire explanation with comedy and acting, and not every performer has that sort of ability. It is usually better to put sucker tricks in the second or third position in the show, so that the audience has already decided you were competent and worth watching. They are much more likely to follow you through the maze to the surprise.

Every rule can be broken, though. I use it to open because it establishes my magical character and gets the audience to engage with me intellectually from the get-go. It is worth the drawbacks, I think. [/quote]

Thank you so much Mr Haydn-great practical advice from someone I respect so much
Will certainly try it out earlier
Thank you again
I must have close to 20 routines based upon Silk to Egg and 20th Century Silk. The right patter and colors can be made to fit any audience.
I must get the silk to egg, But do you have to wear a jacket everytime ?? wich dvd should I buy,
Some use a wand and move on a table top. See Carl Michaels.
I never wear a jacket. It really comes down to the structure.
[quote]On Dec 21, 2007, KPPfeiffer wrote:
I was hired on a cruise and they didn't allow me to bring eggs on the ship. Security, security! On the ship they had only -brown eggs. I was prepared. I brought some paint! Since it is more and more difficult to obtain white eggs, the paint works very good. I prefer white eggs BTW, because of contrast and better visibility. [/quote]

Hard to believe I first posted on this comment 10yrs ago....I still use the Silk to Egg in most shows but now quickly spray paint the brown eggs to an exact match for the fakes white colour,obviously for visibility on stage & travelling out of town, for which I perform in the corporate market. Still one of the strongest effects I use and still get many comments about this effect. Theres a short clip on my website performing this at the Comedy club live..Its a classic.

One thing I would like to hear is feedback from the walk around version..I perform many corporate close up shows and usually save this for my stage show,but if no stage event I would seriously like to hear peoples thoughts on this version thanks..cheers
After nearly six decades of performing magic, Silk to Egg is still one I do at least 1/3 of the time. Of course, there is a Walk-Around version that resets. Oddly today we use the brown ones more than the white ones. It is good that bother props are available.

My reason for using the Walk-Around Version is that country clubs do not like for us to crack eggs on their high priced crystal. Of course the Walk-Around version does not use a real egg at all. Thank God that very good ceramic eggs do exist.

I also use the brown gimmicked egg as a hank ball.
[youtube]rwgSRqOsMFc[/youtube]
[quote]On Jan 11, 2019, Pop Haydn wrote:
[youtube]rwgSRqOsMFc[/youtube] [/quote]

As always a fabulous routine by Pop..this routine just gets better & better in his hands...this is kinda stupid!!!!
Pure entertainment & fun..kudos sir