(Close Window)
Topic: Writers Strike...
As of Today, there is a writers strike in Hollywood that could last up to several months. The guild feels that they are not getting thier fair share of DVD, Internet, Cell phone sales. This could put a hold on many TV shows and and have an estimated loss of a billion dollars.

Can't wait to see how this plays out!
You'll find an insiders view of the issues here:

http://www.newsfromme.com/

It's also a very entertaining blog.
Oh no. More reruns of The Simple Life, Survivor...
Ghost Writer available!
I've been asked by SAG not to write. So ... I guess this is goodbye. :wavey:

Dear Guild Member:

Screen Actors Guild staff have been working very closely with WGA strike leaders over the weekend to plan and coordinate Guild support at the WGA’s picket lines. The Guild will have a staff presence at every picket line to ensure that SAG members’ questions are answered.

REMINDER:
If you are contracted to work on a television series or motion picture that continues to produce while the WGA is on strike, you are obligated by your personal service agreement and the “No Strike” clause in our collective bargaining agreements, to go to work. You can continue to audition for work if you choose to do so.

Screen Actors Guild members should not perform the duties covered by WGA contracts. Simply stated, you should not write anything normally written by striking WGA writers.

We encourage you, on your own time, to walk any picket line that has been set up by the WGA to show your solidarity. If you are not working (or are on break or lunch) and want to come out to support the WGA picket line, please come to one of the following locations beginning tomorrow, Monday, November 5, at 9 a.m. When you arrive at the location, look for the designated Screen Actors Guild staff member as indicated below.
Personally I think they should fill the void with playing Marx Brothers movies and re-runs of the three stooges. Both would be superior to what the writers have been producing of late.
A wise guy aye?
I'll write 'em....just contact me guys.
2nd thought...I'll bet there will be TONS of Ghost Writing going on...
Doug let's hook up and do a "reality" show about paranormal writer's in the hills.
[quote]
On 2007-11-05 13:10, kregg wrote:
A wise guy aye?
[/quote]

Coitainly, Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk
A writer's strike? No! Does this mean there won't be any good, original programming on TV? Oh, wait...

I remember waiting to learn, with the rest of America, who shot J.R., when another writer's strike hit. Instead of waiting through just the 3-month summer break, a writer's strike hit and delayed the [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y223eoeIaBc]revelation of J.R.'s killer[/url] [i]another[/i] 3 months!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=v7vHxw6El0E
In solidarity with my union brothers, I'm not working on my patter until this strike is resolved...
Maybe t.v. will get better now? Yeah Right! It didn't get better durring or after the last writters strike. It certainly won't get any better now either.

Randy
Got a better idea triggered by that comment Kregg. Will PM you. :)
So, if this is a writer's strike, does that mean the picket signs will be blank? :bg:

[quote]
On 2007-11-05 16:06, kregg wrote:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=v7vHxw6El0E
[/quote]

I hope they read the WGA e-mail:

"Failure to picket is a violation of Strike Rule 10, which says: ‘You must picket and/or perform other strike support duties and cooperate with Guild committees charged with enforcement of the Strike Rules…’ Absent a valid medical excuse, non-writing employment, compelling personal circumstances [necessary child or elder care] or emergency, you are obligated to perform these duties when and where requested. If there is a personal circumstance making strike support duties impossible when requested, members are required to arrange alternate times to contribute to the strike effort…’ Basically, failing to picket is a punishable offense."

[quote]
On 2007-11-05 16:17, gaddy wrote:
In solidarity with my union brothers, I'm not working on my patter until this strike is resolved...
[/quote]

...at least you can blend in at the local magician's club.
My favorite strike was when my brother in laws dealerships sales group went on strike. They didn't want to lose any sales so they hired strikers to walk in front but they still went to work....I'm not kidding.... The owner then fired all of the sales people including my brother in law because calling yourself a union doesn't make you a union.
Santa, it seems your brother in law misunderstood the point of a strike.

One might hire strikers to make the strike seem big, but....
Scott, usually Unions have money set aside to pay for the lost time of striking workers. A unions paramount responsibility is to it's members and having them go broke in a strike won't cut it.

So as they are being paid by the Union, they are generally required to do something for it, it may be a debatable argument though as the member would have had to pay it in already for the union to have it in the first place... Although I must admit, I am ignorant of this unions standing rules.

We have a no strike clause, so it would have to go through every available channel before it gets to that point. I'm glad because most people don't understand the importance of a strike, and it usually only makes for bad publicity.
If Reagan were here he'd fire all of them.

From what I understand though - the WGA has a valid point. There work is being produced in, and reaching further into newer mediums. The studios are making more from that, so I say the WGA deserves a bit bigger piece of the pie.

-Robert
The good news is that David Regal is now free to come up with some new magic.

No Instructions.....
What show is Regal on now?

Josh, his logic at the time was if they walked the picket lines the place would hire people to sale cars anyway and they would lose the sales so they hired the strikers to walk around during slow times so they would still be able to make money. It was the stupidest strike of all time, happened at a Toyota dealership in Union City California. Like I said, he and the rest of 'em were fired and replaced and he just went to another Toyota place up toward SF where he makes well over $100k a year selling hybrids.
Who's gonna write their picket signs?