(Close Window)
Topic: Tony Giorgio's DVD set?
Anybody seen Tony's new 2 DVD set concentrating on "hold out moves" and "hand-mucking" according to the web site?

It's been produced by Mickey-O-Conner, whose web site the discs are being sold from. He's got a some cred according to his past endevours, and appears to be legit....just wondering why we haven't heard of these discs 'till now.

If the discs are legit it's Tony Giorgio we're talking about here, they'd be a must buy.

http://web.mac.com/mickeyoconnor/iWeb/Tony%20Giorgio/Home.html
Thank you kindly for the tip Silver.
I wonder if paypal would protect you if this wasnt a legit site?
I emailed Tony directly to see about his PayPal account deposit name.
It's not indicated on the site (the PayPal link just takes you the the PayPal homepage).

I'll let you know what he says when he responds.
Nice find...

It is implied that the moves are exposed through series of photographs, rather than motion pictures. Did anyone else get that, or is it just me?

Whatever the case may be, I am still interested.

CC
I've placed an order via Paypal and they are waiting for confirmation. I'll keep you posted guys.

Regards,

Paul H
Paul, what PayPal account name did you deposit into when you transfered the funds?

I couldn't see anything indicating a PayPal name on the site.
I took Tony Giorgio's email address as the paypal account and the funds have been 'initallised' but not confirmed. I will send a separate email to Mr Giorgio tomorrow if I still have no response.

Regards,

Paul H
Don't fret too long; it took four days for my payment to be confirmed, but it was in the end. I don't think Tony checks his email that regularly...

Take care, Ian
Tony has let me know that the site has been updated with his PayPal address indicated as such.

Order away!
So are these things videos or pics?
Don't go too crazy guys... it might be like his bottom deal manuscript that a buddy of mine paid 250 bucks for... it was a lot of hype..
I've got no firm answer to the question of video or stills, but high definition is usually used to describe video.

Also the ad states that "it runs over two hours" which implies video.

The proverbial icing on the cake is mention of "lengthy discussions and demonstrations".

I'd guess it's all video, but will take whatever I get.
It is video guys. Here small preview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD0YXa7rJJg
That switch was odd.
I agree with you, Clock. Quite unnatural.

CC
Oh no!

Paul H
Keep in mind Tony Giorgio is 84 years old...
There is also fact that this is about a minute out of a 2 hour tape.

Being 84 years old may mean that you have some difficulty with moves that you used to do, but still, we can agree the demonstrated move looked... strange. I do not see the application. Perhaps what comes before and after it on the DVD would put it in context.

I guess some of us will know soon.
Might it be a good idea to watch both discs first, and then comment on the contents?

Probably.
Out of two hours of stuff you can choose from...

I just hope the discs are good. I like demo hand mucks a lot.
[quote]
Out of two hours of stuff you can choose from...
[/quote]
I hear you Clock, two hours gives a lot to pick from.......
Please let us know what you think of the DVD when you receive it. I have to save for the right stuff, don't have a lot of money.

Kim
I'm with you, Kim!
Maybe you have to look at this move in context back when hands could be held and the Eye in the Sky meant somebody up on a Catwalk. Now imagine how this would play at a locked table with turn at third base before the Dealer gets his down card. The BP is at first and required to turn over his hand if he hits a natural. By the time the dealer peeks for a 21 and then gestures for a decision by the BP, the hand is switched and face up as it should be. Seems workable to me.
All I will say is that we cheats make up moves according to the situation at hand. This move probably was excellent according to how things went at the time. Because of this move alone, I know that this man is the real deal and very knowledgeable.

Doc
Hi Doc,

I'm actually not really disheartened by the clip. I have read Giorgio's articles on Genii and I have great deal of respect for his deep knowledge and experience. He did put the move in its historical context and explained the conditions under which it was used.

Regards,

Paul H
I saw how he regripped the other cards out of play. That alone showed me that he knew how to handle the cards.

Take Care

Doc
Good point Doc. Hadn't paid attention to that before, the man is very smooth.
His regripping was way better than Scarne's. Scarne flashes the hidden card when regripping, Tony doesn't. Richard Turner did too but he has an excuse, He's blind and the guy who filmed him didn't retake the footage.

Take Care

Doc
I now have the two disk set in my hands and it is high-def and over two hours of inventive and incredible work. It's stuff I've never seen before and he even says on the DVD that this work is the real deal. It's all advanced work with historical background. Does anyone else have it? Please comment.

Mun
I don't have it but I want it. I am currently thinking of picking up both of steve's books as well so lots of money but hey, if this is really good. Stuff that can get the money, then I will order it right away. let us know.

Kim
Just finished watching disk one. Instant classic, you guys are going to love it. Tony teaches the moves and tells a couple stories. I got my 50.00 worth in the first ten minutes, everything else is gravy. Some of the stuff I have never seen before. Tony is 84 years old so the execution is not always perfect, but amazingly good considering his age. Their are a lot of subtleties and variations given, it's these little things that can really take a move from mediocrity to something special.
Thanks ron. I think we all know what we must do
I got mine yesterday. I only had the time to watch the first dvd (quickly took a look at the 2nd dvd content), like Ron said yesterday this is an instant classic. Tony's technique is really good, might not be in his prime any more but still very precise and natural. Palming looks like a second nature with him.
And great news: apparently there are more to come :) (on cards and dices)
Mine are on the way and I can hardly wait.

Regards,

Paul H
I am still waiting for a reply. Need to know about shipping to Sweden or Finland. How did you guys order it? sent him an email about address and your paypal name then pay to his paypal account? This sounds awesome, and if there is more to come, that is fantastic. Getting frustrated, waiting for this emaila as well as mr forte's, I want to buy both his books as well. I think I have some great info coming my way.

Kim
To order you just have to set him the money using Paypal (just follow the instruction the his webpage, i.e. sending money using his email address). It looks like he handles the orders himself, so he should be able to mail to Finland. You'll probably have to pay some extra for shipping, you should wait for his reply.
As far as I know, Steve Forte does't sell his books directly. You could go through Meir Yedid website for instance (http://www.mymagic.com/gaming.htm), they ship worldwide and apparently above $300 the shipping is free... considering you'll pay $250 for the two books it's probably worth finding another item and make it $300.
You won't regret it they are worth every penny.
Thanks for the tip mate.

I read on Forte's site that I get a discount if I buy both his books so I will talk to him about that first and if he sells them directly, would love to have them signed.

About the DVD, yes I will wait because of the shipping and other details that could be of value. Going crazy though, been waiting for half a week already. :(

Kim
I took a look at Forte's website again (http://www.steveforte.com/buy.html). My understanding is that the discount is for book resellers that will buy "big" quantities of the books.
As you can see, he gives a list of places from where to buy the books. This kind of implies he doesn't sell them directly to individuals (it would be too much trouble I guess).
Both of my books were signed (not sure if it was because I ordered as soon as they got out). What you can do is check with Meir Yedid or which ever reseller you chose if they have signed copies.
Giorgio's web site says shipping is included with no additional proviso's.....it sounds like he means anywhere.
I'm in Canada and he charged me nothing extra for shipping.

Meir Yedid had autographed copies of Forte's big book.....I don't know about signed copies of the poker book though.
Check with Meir to see if he has any autographed copies left.....He sold me my copy complete with Steve's sig on the frontspiece.

I'd order the big book now rather than later though.....all indications are that the supply (from everybody) is getting quite low, and a reprint is definitely an unknown at this point.
"Quantity discounts are available for both books". Yeah I guess you are right matu, didn't really think about what it said. Well I will check meir out. I checked the german site as well but the books are a lot more expensive on that site. brrr, 250 dollars is already a lot of money (and the additional shipping).

Thanks guys,

Kim
Just picked up the set. Very much enjoyed them... Lots of info.

Best,

Grant
Sounds great clock. I just ordered them so that DVD, bill Malones new set and both steve's books (signed) on their way to me. :)

Kim
I just finished disc 1...very enjoyable and informative. I recommend them to anyone who is thinking about it.
I agree with papermechanic and Ron Conley. Tony Giorgio's DVD set, "The Ultimate Work," is great. Are there any other DVD's available showing moves by someone with years of experience using those moves in a real game?
Tony's "Oregon Hole Card Switch" that he tipped to Dai Vernon.

What a pretty switch.

It's one of those moves that feels like it could fool you even though you're the one doing it.
When the card comes out from under the left hand........:)

Another high point is Tony demonstrating the gamblers acquitments for "not" having a card palmed........he's brilliant.

Any other high points for those who picked this up?
I realize how great a price the set is, but if anyone has one that they want to sell to a totally broke (I mean REALLY REALLY broke- just dropped $3000 on classes, and $600 on books...) student, please, let me know.

Ben Train
Hi Ben,

Just to add salt to the wound, I can honestly say that this set is the best DVD for insights into the card muckers world and teaching practical card mucking techniques. I think it would be right up your ally. There is a section on acquitment that is highly relevent to card palming in magic and of itself justifies the price of admission. Its one of the best things I have purchased on DVD in a long time.

Regards,

Paul H
As everyone has said this DVD set is excellent and should be a part of your video gambling library. Many of these moves I never knew existed. Great work Mr. Giorgio.

Respectfully,

Doc
I concur that it is a great buy. Tony Giorgio is evidently very well experienced, and while his delivery of some of the moves is not the smoothest, it definitely teaches you the subtleties that come with many years of (probably) under fire experience. It's little things that could take a long time to figure out on your own.

..And he tells great stories.
The gamblers acquitment series of clips shows Tony defining the word "smooth" for the camera.
In terms of hand mucking, how is this DVD set compare to George Joseph's Hand Mucking manuscript? I am prepared to get both if the contents are vastly different; despite the fact that gamblersbook.com charges $30 postage for a $20 manuscript..
For the first time while watching a cheating techniques DVD, I thought that the guy really know his stuff. The way he moves his hands while palming is astonishing. Great great DVD set.
Apologize for question.

We bought "Ultimate Work" on Gambling Incorporated but design of cover looks like white paper with text... Absolutely not like on Internet page...

Who knows what hell it mean?
I finally broke down and got this. It is excellent. Easily the most difficult sleight work I've ever played with.

I ALSO received a white paper cover like Stepanov, which looks very different from the ones I see advertised or in stores (my store has them, and they have a beautiful cover). I'm not complaining- the contents is what I was after- but I am curious.

Ben
We get it not only on white paper, but this paper torned on border. :)
Had much fun watching the DVDs; now waiting for the 2nd set to come.

Mine's cover is white paper also, but that didn't bother me.
Consider yourselves lucky with the white paper cover.
Those of us who ordered immediately from Tony upon release got NO cover at all.

A couple of little clear plastic off the shelf DVD protectors.......that's it.......no cover.

WHITE PAPER IS A LUXURY! :)

This disc continues to amaze me with the stuff that's on it, AND the amount of that stuff that's top shelf.

There are many indications from Tony, both in print and on the DVD's, that this is the first of a series he's planning on releasing.
Something to look forward to and keep an eye out for.
[quote]
On 2008-04-13 19:42, BenTrain (Nordatrax) wrote:
I finally broke down and got this. It is excellent. Easily the most difficult sleight work I've ever played with.

I ALSO received a white paper cover like Stepanov, which looks very different from the ones I see advertised or in stores (my store has them, and they have a beautiful cover). I'm not complaining- the contents is what I was after- but I am curious.

Ben
[/quote]
Ben, I hope you don't think the one I sent was a bootleg, because that's exactly how it came... that's why I included the envelope it was sent in... peace

pals
j
I had no clue what you guys were talking about until I searched for stores online which carry the item. I can see that they show a very nice DVD case-type cover, I would have loved to have that.

I ordered mine during the original run, like silverking. Came in small plastic protectors, the DVDs are labeled with off the shelf paper dvd label printed on a bubblejet printer. I've seen much worse. The contents are the thing, and there's gold in them hills.

I am looking forward to seeing what else Mr. Giorgio will come up with in the future.
I got the dvd with the white cover too, but I just thought," I'll make my own cover",
just print the picture and then place it on the cover.

Inside the cover, there are also these two disc shaped things. Check them out as well (lots of good info). :goof:
Oh, yes, information inside much important than cover... But... Can I ask somebody to make scan from official cover? I promice sending my cover to change. :)
Hey guys,
I was considering buying this DVD set but wanted to find out from those of you who own it, is this simply a DVD set that you will just get viewing pleasure from or are any of the techniques and subtleties applicable to card magic? Thanks!

Roberto
Not much for magic, IMO. But great stuff none the less.
The introduction of the DVD set begins with Tony saying,

"...I'm merely exposing these moves in an academic way, to show you their applicability to magic. Specifically, I show you how the art of the hand-mucker is applicable to the art of magic."
Thanks guys.

Roberto
This dvd set may come across as a bit sedate when viewed but the information is great. It is one of the more satisfying magic or gambling purchases I have made in the last few years. If you want to learn to muck and switch cards, this may be the best resource at the moment.
Yes, I agree. This DVD set is essential.
Someone mentioned that there will be a second DVD set from Tony. Any news about that?
There were emails sent asking about it. Apparently there isn't enough interest in the first DVD to warrant another, which is a crying shame because most everyone in here would love to see it happen.
Another slant is that people close to Tony don't want the information out, and will do everything to prevent it.

Ian
I think Ian's scenario is more likely to be based somewhere in fact than "not enough sales".

I'm still amazed today at how much actually got tipped on the first DVD.....and the second proposed DVD in the series was going to tip even more difficult to acquire material.
Did anyone here attend his recent lecture in LA? If so, care to kindly divulge what he covered? Unfortunately I couldn't make it.

I'd really like to see more from him. I loved reading his old Genii columns.
It'd be nice to see those columns together in some sort of booklet or something. I've only seen a handful in the last few years, but I assume many of them are pre-Kaufman?
When I say 'another slant' what I meant was 'I was told by'...unfortunately I am convinced the chances of the other DVDs coming out are sufficiently molecular as not to be worth worrying about.

If you want to track down the early Giorgio Letters (which were pre-Kaufman, yes) you can register for a month on the Genii online archive and print them all out (one page at a time, but hey).

Take care, Ian
Ian, how many Giorgio letters are there to read in the Genii archive?
They start at the November 1990 issue. Somewhere along the line from there to now, his column is featured less often (maybe once every 4 or 5 issues, versus them being in every issue during the 90's). Each letter is 1 or 2 pages long. They are very interesting to read.

Before this online Genii archive came about, I bought nearly all of these issues from eBay and friends and such, for the sole reason of reading his letters. It was very much worth all the effort.
[quote]
On 2009-12-01 14:07, IanKendall wrote:
Another slant is that people close to Tony don't want the information out, and will do everything to prevent it.

Ian
[/quote]

I just don't see it. Possibly the person closest to Tony is Dave Malek. If Tony wanted to tip, Dave would give him 110% support.
[quote]
On 2009-12-01 14:07, IanKendall wrote:

Ian
[/quote]

With all due respect to Giorgio, he didn't tip anything THAT good in those DVDs.
Maitre D, thanks for the information, that's greatly helped my search.
Isn't it odd that both Malek and Giorgio [i]both[/i] released one DVD, with a promise of future releases.......and then [i]both[/i] guys bailed on any further DVD releases?

Just askin'

The now defunct "disc #2's" from both guys were looking ***n good.

Hey Z.....what about the "Bicycle Pimp" poem?......that's the real work!
It is interesting, yeah.

Actually I was due to email David to ask him about a few things I've been on the lookout for. I may mention the discs but I really don't expect any new info to surface.
As I recall Mr Malek himself answered the question some time ago here.
Searching back in the forums there's a few clips of Malek doing run-ups on Japanese TV which sound interesting, but all the links are dead. Anyone know if this footage is still floating around anywhere?
If you can find it, that footage will blow your mind.

Wasn't it Giorgio who stated that Malek was the best run-up-man in the world as far as he was concerned?......I believe it was.
Also just posted this in another thread about the Malek Hold'em DVD...

I don't know about the dvd's, but I'm a fan of David's and I just recently discovered that he has an online store that focuses on gambling and gambling related magic. I've made a few purchases and David was very helpful. It's a great resource for those interested in real deal gambling equipment in addition to magic.

http://markedcards.org
[quote]
On 2009-12-02 09:25, silverking wrote:
Isn't it odd that both Malek and Giorgio [i]both[/i] released one DVD, with a promise of future releases.......and then [i]both[/i] guys bailed on any further DVD releases?

Just askin'

The now defunct "disc #2's" from both guys were looking ***n good.

Hey Z.....what about the "Bicycle Pimp" poem?......that's the real work!
[/quote]

I believe Malek was hoping to make a mint off the poker boom and when that didn't happen he had no reason to pursue the other DVDs in the proposed series.

Ah yes, Jerry the Gimp.

Giorgio's an interesting guy for sure, I would love to sit down with the guy. However most would agree (he himself perhaps) that his knowledge stops in 1960. Anything after that, fougetaboutit. Still, he is one of the last of an era that I find interesting. If he were to release any other DVDs I would certainly be one of the first in line.