(Close Window)
Topic: Angry, angry phone message!
Message: Posted by: NJJ (Nov 15, 2007 11:39PM)
I had a phone this morning from a woman trying to book a show. I wasn't free on the date she wanted and I was suggesting she might call other people when the phone cut out.

The phone was out for five minutes and when it came back on again I had this message

"WELL IS THAT HOW YOU TREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS? I WAS GOING TO SEE IF YOU WERE FREE ON ANOTHER DATE AND WE WOULD HAVE CHANGED THE DATE BUT IF THAT'S THE WAY YOU'RE GOING TO ACT THEN **** YOU!"

I have her number and I tried calling back to straighten it out but she did not answer!

Any ideas?
Message: Posted by: Bradacal (Nov 15, 2007 11:59PM)
Call and leave a message or keep trying her back....try from a different number and just explain things....or you can just forget about it and chalk it up as a lost sale....but I would try to get in touch with her, just to explain your side of the story.
Message: Posted by: JeffWampler (Nov 16, 2007 01:03AM)
Wow, that really sucks. First of all, I'd try what MB suggested. If she still doesn't answer, you could do a reverse directory search, find her physical address, and mail her a letter explaining the situation. If nothing suffices then you could count it as a blessing in disguise. If someone is going to get all p*ssed off over a dropped call, you'd probably run into problems performing for her too.
Message: Posted by: Lyndel (Nov 16, 2007 06:40AM)
Jeff beat me to the punch - I was going to say the same thing. If she got that mad at a dropped call (which happens with some regularity now days with all the cell phones in service) she would most probably find a reason to dislike something you do during your show. I say forget about her and move on.


Lyndel
Message: Posted by: RJE (Nov 16, 2007 09:00AM)
Hehehe whoooo. Personally, I'd just let it go.

The caller has shown herself to be quite excitable and quick tempered. If she's willing to use expletives that freely in the first few moments of conducting business then she sounds like TROUBLE.

I doubt that she networks with all your existing or future customers, so I'd write it off as dodging a bullet and move on. Your reputation remains intact.

All the !&%*#%$ best, ;)

Rob
Message: Posted by: rossmacrae (Nov 16, 2007 10:47AM)
You're well rid of her.
Message: Posted by: Al Angello (Nov 16, 2007 11:08AM)
When angry people contact you it should be a sign that you will not be treated kindly when you go to their house. You are better off rid of her.
Message: Posted by: mrunge (Nov 16, 2007 12:40PM)
Yep...if that is how she acts on the front end, when you've never even met her before, imagine what you'd be setting yourself up for down the road. She's obviously not a very happy person to treat others with such disrespect like that from the start. I say "good riddance."

Mark. :)
Message: Posted by: PatrickDonovan (Nov 16, 2007 12:42PM)
I agree, you wouldn't want to do business with her anyway. I had a client that called the day before I was scheduled to perform for her sons birthday to confirm the time I was arriving. I had of course already confirmed this information through a previous follow up phone call and birthday card I sent. She called when I was performing another show so I couldn't answer my phone. Well, she ended up calling me three times within the hour and leaving messages that got progressively angrier. Once I finished the show and checked my messages I called her right away to explain why I hadn't answered my phone. She seemed to understand and all was well again... until I showed up the next day to perform. I found out that her temper didn't just come out during phone calls but, as it seemed, all the time. Her almost constant yelling at the kids not only made me uncomfortable, but it really destroyed the festive atmosphere I always tried to create when I did birthday parties. It was a gig I can't imagine any performer wanting.

So yeah, you might have gotten lucky and dodge a bullet on this one.
Message: Posted by: TomBoleware (Nov 16, 2007 01:04PM)
She thinks you hung up on her. She has a right to be mad, never do business with you, and tell all her friends not to.

You have a problem with her, until you explain it. You either fix it or she will continue to see you as a jerk. You would feel the same way if she just hung up on you? Itís much easier to keep a customer than it is to get a new one.

I personally would make every effort to contact her, and not just assume that she would be a bad customer.

Tom
Message: Posted by: Donald Dunphy (Nov 16, 2007 01:15PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-16 07:40, Lyndel wrote:
If she got that mad at a dropped call (which happens with some regularity now days with all the cell phones in service) she would most probably find a reason to dislike something you do during your show. [/quote]

Not to go too far off track, but this point was mentioned. Nick didn't make it clear why the call got disconnected -- whether it was a dropped cell phone call or not.

Because this point was mentioned, my comment is about handling sales calls over your cell phone.

I have found that unless you tell customers you are on your cell phone, and might possibly get disconnected because of a dropped call, they might not know. It changes the dynamics of the conversation if you tell them right from the start.

What I do, is explain that I am on my cell, and I "warn" them that the call might get dropped, with the comment "You never know". I ask them their name and number, and promise to call them back if we get disconnected.

This is an important part of the communication process. They will give you more "grace", if you request it up front.

Sometimes they ask me to call them back from a land line, or offer to call me at a land line number, for various reasons.

- Donald
Message: Posted by: RJE (Nov 16, 2007 01:43PM)
Hi Tom,

I would respectively disagree. She has the right to be upset believing that she has been hung up on, but not abusive.

Her reaction was to explode and use expletives, which is bad behaviour during the initial stages of conducting any dialogue. Not allowing the other party the chance to explain only compounds the problem.

I would suggest that this hints very much of a controlling and hence, abusive individual that any one might be wise to avoid in any type of relationship.

On the other hand, she may have been trying to call back repeatedly but because the connection was dead, she would have been unsuccessful and imagined that Nicholas was not taking her call.

In that instance, a progressive feeling of frustration may have occured on her part leading to the message being left. She then might also have felt justified in not taking Nicholas' calls, perhaps believing that if he was rude enough to hang up on her, then he might now just be calling back to swear at her and tell her off because of the message she left.

Taking the call would not only possibly mean dealing with Nicholas, but it could also mean having to be held accountable for her actions. Taking the call could also mean, at the very least, that she had not had the last word, meaning she was not in control.

And still the message. What she left was totally inappropriate and perhaps now indicates not only a controlling but also an immature personality of a person who has difficulty dealing with conflict.

Personally, I would choose not to deal with that person and not be overly concerned about any damage she might be able to do to my professional reputation. I think that just about anybody in any service industry has encountered someone that for whatever reason they have been unable to satisfy.

So, that's just my take on it. If, and again I mean this with all respect, you were in Nicholas' situation and you would choose to pursue the issue and try to straighten it out, then I truly wish you all the success in your decision. I only wish to indicate how I would handle it and why given that Nicholas did ask.

All the best,

Rob
Message: Posted by: Lyndel (Nov 16, 2007 01:45PM)
Excellent point Donald.

It's funny... We can put a man on the moon, but we can't prevent dropped calls! LOL!


Lyndel
Message: Posted by: Illusion & Beyond (Nov 16, 2007 02:04PM)
I would definately call her back and state what had happened and tell her you received the message but I still would not take the gig. The only reason I would call her back is to show her you are NOT that type of person to hang up on her. she showed her true side so show yours. HA!
Message: Posted by: Al Angello (Nov 16, 2007 02:07PM)
Rob
I think you are just being too kind and considerate. There is a big differance between "we must have been cut off" and "It's all your fault". Perhaps my X wife has moved to Australia. When people talk to me like that I give them Kyle's phone number.
Message: Posted by: RJE (Nov 16, 2007 02:21PM)
Hey Al isn't it because it's all your fault that you get cut off!? ;)

hehehe Rob
Message: Posted by: TomBoleware (Nov 16, 2007 02:38PM)
Rob, you right that she doesnít have a right to be abusive. I agree, she didnít seem to waste no time letting it come out. :)

But still, just because she was, shouldnít give me the right to act like her and not at least make an effort to correct it. Iím just saying that I would go out of my way to correct it if possible whether she became a customer or not. Thatís just me.

The customer is not always right, but when they think they are, they may as well be. :)

Tom
Message: Posted by: magic4u02 (Nov 16, 2007 02:43PM)
Al: hehehehe So that explains the recent bout of clients from hell? hehehe Can yo all just FEEL the love?

Kyle
Message: Posted by: Donald Dunphy (Nov 16, 2007 02:45PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-16 14:45, Lyndel wrote:
Excellent point Donald.

It's funny... We can put a man on the moon, but we can't prevent dropped calls! LOL!


Lyndel
[/quote]

Can you hear me now?

- Donald
Message: Posted by: RJE (Nov 16, 2007 02:46PM)
[quote]

The customer is not always right, but when they think they are, they may as well be. :)

Tom
[/quote]

Good point!
Message: Posted by: jkvand (Nov 16, 2007 08:49PM)
Maybe you can get something good out of this - call Verizon and pitch this story to them as an idea for their next 'dropped call' commercial! That might be the only good that could come from a situation such as this.
Message: Posted by: jay leslie (Nov 25, 2007 08:46PM)
Everyone

Lets send her our press material and when she calls next year, tell her we are too busy but she should call Nicholas because he is the best in the area.
Message: Posted by: jamesbond (Nov 25, 2007 11:43PM)
Yes Nicholas,

it's called NEXT!! the type of message she left shows a "classy lady" the type you would LOVE to work with wouldn't ya??

As shocking as it may seem not all people are nice there are actually some JERKS out there - my rule is to never argue, but simply run as fast as you can - you will never win, she will always treat you like dirt since you "owe" her so what's the point??? You CAN"T win with people like this - ever!!! Don't waste your time dude!!!

The only way to deal with these losers to not engage with them as they will lower you to their level...

Just my 2 cents..

Bond James Bond
Message: Posted by: Slim King (Nov 26, 2007 11:50PM)
Let a competitor have her and her baggage...You don't need it :)
Message: Posted by: Review King (May 26, 2008 05:58PM)
Maybe she had a bad day ( or life ). I'd try to conenct with her and explain what hapepned. Give her the chance to say she's sorry. Not to get the gig, but to do some healing. If she still acted liek that, say a prayer for her ( yep, right on the phone to her ) and forgive and move on.
Message: Posted by: rossmacrae (May 26, 2008 09:32PM)
[quote]
On 2008-05-26 18:58, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
If she still acted liek that, say a prayer for her ( yep, right on the phone to her ) and forgive and move on.
[/quote]
Nope. Just move on. All by yourself.

Not every contact is worth "polishing up and achieving closure."

This is just a casual encounter, not a relationship. Forget about it and spend your time and energy on more positive and (potentially) fruitful contacts.
Message: Posted by: martin king (May 26, 2008 11:37PM)
Please, oh please, do NOT bother contacting her, as lots of people are saying, she's a bad prospect and you need to drop her like a stone then chalk it up to experience.
Message: Posted by: wizardofsorts (May 29, 2008 07:30PM)
Nick,
You started this post in November and I wonder what did you do? I also wonder if you would dare post the response because no matter what you say you will tick off about half the posters on here one way or another.
Edd
Message: Posted by: martin king (May 29, 2008 10:28PM)
[quote]
On 2008-05-29 20:30, wizardofsorts wrote:
Nick,
You started this post in November and I wonder what did you do? I also wonder if you would dare post the response because no matter what you say you will tick off about half the posters on here one way or another.
Edd
[/quote]

LOL Totally agree.
Message: Posted by: NJJ (May 30, 2008 07:26PM)
There was nothing I could do in the end. I had no number or name, just some idle threats from a private number.

I didn't really care for her business as I am pretty busy as it is. My concern is that if I didn't smooth things over she would tell her friends that Tricky Nick was a jerk.

It's about the bigger picture, people complain about a bad experience!
Message: Posted by: martin king (May 31, 2008 12:44AM)
(I'm not talking from personal experience but from talking to numerous very successful people...magicians, mentalists, cold readers, and hypnotists...)

"As you become more and more suceessful, if you're not upsetting people, then you're doing something wrong!"

If it was a big booker of talent, like the MD of 'Showtime' (or in the UK, the GD of the BBC), then yes, I would try really hard to clear things up, but if it's just 'John Doe' then I wouldn't bother.

Hey, who knows, one of the people that she tells, may just phone you up to see how big a jerk 'Tricky Nicky' really is?
Message: Posted by: ClintonMagus (May 31, 2008 05:39AM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-16 21:49, jkvand wrote:
Maybe you can get something good out of this - call Verizon and pitch this story to them as an idea for their next 'dropped call' commercial! That might be the only good that could come from a situation such as this.
[/quote]

It's a good idea, but you'd better call AT&T. They were the ones with the "dropped calls" commercials... :)
Message: Posted by: Gordon (Jun 1, 2008 01:51PM)
Perhaps a lesson here is to use a landline for your business calls. Cell and "internet phone" service is way more likely to drop calls then a traditional telephone line. Of course, you can't control what phone service the caller has, but at least you can do your part.
Message: Posted by: NJJ (Jun 3, 2008 12:34AM)
The call was my from my landline. The entire street has issues with the telco.
Message: Posted by: impossible man (Jun 4, 2008 08:32AM)
Sometimes the people who are quick to get mad are the ones who love you forever later.

I had a customer take offense at something I said but she was a fantatstic customer. There was a bit of a cultural difference going on that mader her much more expressive than I am used to in clients (but not in coworkers I've had from the same country).

I hope this gets cleared up. My customer called for quotes one year and remembered me for a whole year before she could hire me!
Message: Posted by: JAlenS (Jun 8, 2008 02:06PM)
Go ahead and call her back and get that gig. When you get there set up a bizarre/sideshow act with blood and evil spirits, scare the crap out of all of them and don't charge a dime. I know it doesn't sound very professional but I guarantee I'll feel better about this whole thing. I think you will too, lol.
Message: Posted by: Faulkner (Jun 8, 2008 07:33PM)
I would say call her back or write her, you may not want to work for her but I bet you might want to work for her company, friend, next door neighbor...you get the idea.

She has friends even if it may not seem like it, it is better she is saying good things about you than bad.