(Close Window)
Topic: Yet another China thread ...
Message: Posted by: balducci (Nov 16, 2007 01:00AM)
Someone ELSE can fact check this story. I'm just posting it for the amusement value. Have at it ...

"The uninvited guest: Chinese sub pops up in middle of U.S. Navy exercise, leaving military chiefs red-faced"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=492804&in_page_id=1811

When the U.S. Navy deploys a battle fleet on exercises, it takes the security of its aircraft carriers very seriously indeed.

At least a dozen warships provide a physical guard while the technical wizardry of the world's only military superpower offers an invisible shield to detect and deter any intruders.

That is the theory. Or, rather, was the theory.

American military chiefs have been left dumbstruck by an undetected Chinese submarine popping up at the heart of a recent Pacific exercise and close to the vast U.S.S. Kitty Hawk - a 1,000ft supercarrier with 4,500 personnel on board.

By the time it surfaced the 160ft Song Class diesel-electric attack submarine is understood to have sailed within viable range for launching torpedoes or missiles at the carrier.

According to senior Nato officials the incident caused consternation in the U.S. Navy.

The Americans had no idea China's fast-growing submarine fleet had reached such a level of sophistication, or that it posed such a threat.

One Nato figure said the effect was "as big a shock as the Russians launching Sputnik" - a reference to the Soviet Union's first orbiting satellite in 1957 which marked the start of the space age.

The incident, which took place in the ocean between southern Japan and Taiwan, is a major embarrassment for the Pentagon.

The lone Chinese vessel slipped past at least a dozen other American warships which were supposed to protect the carrier from hostile aircraft or submarines.

And the rest of the costly defensive screen, which usually includes at least two U.S. submarines, was also apparently unable to detect it.

According to the Nato source, the encounter has forced a serious re-think of American and Nato naval strategy as commanders reconsider the level of threat from potentially hostile Chinese submarines.

It also led to tense diplomatic exchanges, with shaken American diplomats demanding to know why the submarine was "shadowing" the U.S. fleet while Beijing pleaded ignorance and dismissed the affair as coincidence.

Analysts believe Beijing was sending a message to America and the West demonstrating its rapidly-growing military capability to threaten foreign powers which try to interfere in its "backyard".

The People's Liberation Army Navy's submarine fleet includes at least two nuclear-missile launching vessels.

Its 13 Song Class submarines are extremely quiet and difficult to detect when running on electric motors.

Commodore Stephen Saunders, editor of Jane's Fighting Ships, and a former Royal Navy anti-submarine specialist, said the U.S. had paid relatively little attention to this form of warfare since the end of the Cold War.

He said: "It was certainly a wake-up call for the Americans.

"It would tie in with what we see the Chinese trying to do, which appears to be to deter the Americans from interfering or operating in their backyard, particularly in relation to Taiwan."

In January China carried a successful missile test, shooting down a satellite in orbit for the first time.
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 16, 2007 02:15AM)
Let me give you a bit of background before I say what I'm going to say should Balducci want to one up it.

I was in the US Navy and assigned to Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, Georgia, from 1979 to 1983, the Trident sub base on the East Coast. I later was on the USS Obannon, a destroyer that's main job was to hunt subs and carried a helo crew whos only function was to hunt subs.

First of all I giggle when I saw the Chinese had diesel boats. The writers of that article have no knowledge if the Chinese bubble boat was detected or not, none, zippo....that information is never, ever, put out as a confirm or deny. Another thing, if that bubble boat surfaced it was an extremely stupid move on the part of the Chinese. Why? Because the Chinese wouldn't want to tip that they actually had the skill or the boat to penitrate the fleet without detection, it invites analysis of the data that does exist from the ships to determine the signiture of the boat and in the extremely unlikely event that it really wasn't detected it would be the next time. US bubble boats are so quiet that they have to make fake sounds because the Soviets started looking for the large pocket of silence rather than noise. So while a Chinese bubble boat may have surfaced, likely to recharge batteries, it is very unlikely it wasn't detected. When a boat surfaces at sea it gets very interesting very quickly, I've witnessed US boats surfacing first hand and seen what goes on with every ship in the area showing up to see it.

Okay, there you have my thoughts. Mr. Balducci if you have more experience with the subs and sub hunters than I then I welcome your comments.
Message: Posted by: balducci (Nov 16, 2007 02:38AM)
I have no further comment. I just thought it was a funny story. Like I said, someone else can do the fact checking on this one.
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 16, 2007 02:02PM)
You found it funny? How very odd... was it the way the article was written, poorly, that made you giggle or do you have some bizarre desire to see the US Navy destroyed and the idea of a carrier sinking make you laugh? There is no fact checking to be done because the Navy won't comment and really isn't concerned about some anti America Canadian giggling.
Message: Posted by: Rupert Bair (Nov 16, 2007 03:42PM)
Like yourself and Doug, a lot of your articles seem to be from UK newspapers world news, our our media superior?
Message: Posted by: Corona Smith (Nov 16, 2007 03:46PM)
Daily Mail is for racist bigots. Interesting trivia though. Did you know that 76 people a year die from playing twister?
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Nov 16, 2007 03:48PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-16 15:02, MagicSanta wrote:
You found it funny? How very odd... was it the way the article was written, poorly, that made you giggle or do you have some bizarre desire to see the US Navy destroyed and the idea of a carrier sinking make you laugh? There is no fact checking to be done because the Navy won't comment and really isn't concerned about some anti America Canadian giggling.
[/quote]

Make no mistake, MagicSanta, the world enjoys seeing superpowers embarrassed. Why do you suppose that there are so many anti-China sentiments expressed? It is a low humour, but it is real nonetheless.

Your comments, however, are very appropriate: there is nothing funny about loss of life, actual or potential.

John
Message: Posted by: Rupert Bair (Nov 16, 2007 03:53PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-16 16:46, Corona Smith wrote:
Daily Mail is for racist bigots. Interesting trivia though. Did you know that 76 people a year die from playing twister?
[/quote]

Jeez! They wouldn't print a story like that would they! Cheat! =P
Message: Posted by: stoneunhinged (Nov 16, 2007 03:58PM)
National weakness -- real or perceived -- can tempt aggression and thus cause war. That's why the United States cannot neglect its military strength. We must and we will remain strong. But with equal determination, the United States and all countries must find ways to control and reduce the horrifying danger that is posed by the world's enormous stockpiles of nuclear arms.
Message: Posted by: Rupert Bair (Nov 16, 2007 04:08PM)
I have just been talking about forces of potential destruction that mankind has developed, and how we might control them. It is equally important that we remember the beneficial forces that we have evolved over the ages, and how to hold fast to them.
Message: Posted by: balducci (Nov 16, 2007 04:14PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-16 15:02, MagicSanta wrote:

There is no fact checking to be done because the Navy won't comment and really isn't concerned about some anti America Canadian
[/quote]
In your eyes I may appear "anti-American", but that is not the case at all. Of course, it was totally predictable that someone would play the "anti-American" card so I'm not especially surprised that you did.

As you seemed to imply in your post, a diesel powered sub is hardly a threat and it almost certainly was detected. And who said anything about a loss of life, or giggled at a loss of life? I did nothing of the sort. So forget about it. Thanks for your clarification on that matter of subs surfacing, though.
Message: Posted by: stoneunhinged (Nov 16, 2007 04:24PM)
Playing the "anti-American" card. Cool. As in the OJ case, playing the "race" card.

I want to play the "I'm drunk and that's a good excuse for cheating on my wife" card.

My son wants to play the "I didn't do my homework because I didn't understand it" card.

My wife regularly plays the "when are you finally going to paint the fence in front of our house" card.

I haven't the slightest idea what this thread is about (card). But the "card" is just a bit cliche, don't you think?

Jeff (Playing the Stoneunhinged "card")
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 16, 2007 04:28PM)
Basing it on the history this guy has. I've never seen anyone post so much anti anything as this guy does anti-American material. A kid gets tazed in Florida, the Canadians are all over it, a Polish immigrant gets tazed in Canada and dies on video and....zippo.

Hey, I'm full aware that Canada is full of socialist who hate the US, I really don't care what they think up there. As a Navy guy it bothers me the joy he seems to get thinking a Chinese sub can sneak on on a US ship...which I don't think really happened.
Message: Posted by: balducci (Nov 16, 2007 04:40PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-16 17:28, MagicSanta wrote:
Basing it on the history this guy has. I've never seen anyone post so much anti anything as this guy does anti-American material. A kid gets tazed in Florida, the Canadians are all over it, a Polish immigrant gets tazed in Canada and dies on video and....zippo.

Hey, I'm full aware that Canada is full of socialist who hate the US, I really don't care what they think up there.
[/quote]
And now the Santa plays the "blame and denigrate" Canadians card. How sad, yet so predictable.

Concerning the taser incident in Canada. That was a very sad story, but I'm sure if I had mentioned that you would have yelled at me for bashing the American company TASER International Inc. Or for being "anti-gun". Or for for speaking out against Tasers or cops. As you already did to other people in this post:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=226661&forum=32&post=5228638

So why would I want to set you off by mentioning another Taser incident?

Incidentally, I spoke out in favour of Tasers in that earlier thread.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Nov 16, 2007 04:56PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-16 17:28, MagicSanta wrote:

Hey, I'm full aware that Canada is full of socialist who hate the US, I really don't care what they think up there.
[/quote]

Now, now. Give the respect that you demand.

John
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 16, 2007 06:20PM)
I don't demand anything from you all. There are plenty of Canadians who are socialist who hate the US. I know one in particular who is a talented writer and magician, I actually asked Balducci if he was that individual some time ago because they share the same attitudes. The difference is the individual I know has good qualities if you keep him off his politics, which he has enough sense to stay away from when dealing with magic. Since there are a number of Canadians here who seem to love nothing more than capping on the US it has nothing to do with respect. I don't care if Canadians respect the US or not, I don't care to hear their blather. If they want to dish it they can accept it back. If you don't like it that is too bad as well. There are many fine Canadians then there is Celine.

As for the comment about diesel boats that technology ended almost 50 years ago and it gives some indication of the technical level of Chinese built bubble boats.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Nov 16, 2007 07:53PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-16 19:20, MagicSanta wrote:
I don't demand anything from you all.
[/quote]

In that case, America is a pee pee hat.

John
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 16, 2007 07:56PM)
There you go....just remember kids, others may have let the nonsense go, I'll challenge you.
Message: Posted by: balducci (Nov 16, 2007 09:13PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-16 19:20, MagicSanta wrote:

I know one in particular who is a talented writer and magician, I actually asked Balducci if he was that individual some time ago because they share the same attitudes. The difference is the individual I know has good qualities if you keep him off his politics ...
[/quote]
Lol. I have to laugh that you think you "get" my attitudes when it is clear from your posts that you keep assigning me beliefs I do not ascribe to. Whatever.

I think you are just stressing because Canada has the cuter kittens:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6CSoct4lE
Message: Posted by: Big Jeff (Nov 16, 2007 10:48PM)
I lost all respect for canada when they bood the US national anthem during a Stanley cup game. I also heard about canadians disrespecting the US anthem at a jumior world hockey game in ND. We have a local ECHL hockey team here and when canadian teams come I don't stand for their anthem.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Nov 16, 2007 10:59PM)
Big Jeff, I assume you are referring to the San Jose fans booing the Canadian anthem...yes it was classless.

John
Message: Posted by: Josh Riel (Nov 16, 2007 10:59PM)
Not to play the "Shut up guys" card..... but To say that all Canadians hate America is like saying all Americans hate Canada.

I certainly hate Canada, but it's more a religious thing. However, most of the people I know don't. I'm certain the same can be said for Canadians.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Nov 16, 2007 11:09PM)
Geez Josh. That's what I was trying to say without being so blunt. You've gone and ruined all the fun. If you weren't from Washington, I'd have to hate you.

John
Message: Posted by: Josh Riel (Nov 16, 2007 11:12PM)
Now, now, now, there are plenty of very good reasons to hate me. Don't just give up.
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 16, 2007 11:12PM)
I have been to a great many San Jose Shark games and seen them play Canadian teams. In every case the fans sang the Canadian anthem and applauded. I believe the booing came in response to the Canadian booing at the Junior Hockey game that got lots of news coverage in San Jose. There is a big difference, the Canadians were booing in pure dislike for the United States team and doing so was completely out of line. The San Jose fans were booing to show the Canadians what it felt like. Fortunately I believe the Russians on the Canadian team were not insulted at all and, perhaps, agreed with the booing.

If it makes you feel better I've seen San Jose fans (who, by the way, know nothing about hockey, neither do I, I loved going to the games though) were sincere when they boo the Anaheim Ducks.
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 16, 2007 11:15PM)
I'm also from Washington...only I'm from the part further South and uglier than where Mr. Josh is.
Message: Posted by: balducci (Nov 16, 2007 11:17PM)
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=18&entry_id=5295

and

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=18&entry_id=5258

Excerpt:

On NOT booing the anthem

Granted this isn't up there with the domestic spying controversy, but there has been quite a bit of interest so . . . let's put the national anthem hockey controversy to rest.

As you may recall, San Jose Sharks' fans boo ed the Canadian national anthem last Sunday in San Jose. Their excuse was that they thought they'd heard the Canadians booing during the American anthem in a game in Edmonton the previous Friday. Those who were at the Friday game either said they didn't hear the booing, or that because a "crowd'' microphone was used, the San Jose TV broadcast actually picked up boos that were the result of showing the image of Sharks' star, and Canadian, Joe Thornton on the video screen.

It turned out to be a controversy with legs. Media outlets on the East Coast weighed in, San Jose mayor Ron Gonzales called Edmonton mayor Stephen Mandel to apologize, and the stage was set for Wednesday night's Game Six in Edmonton.

Would the angry Canadians respond by booing back? And what if the Sharks won and the series came back to San Jose? Would the Sharks' fans step up and show some class or would they live down to the expectations of those who think hockey fans are Neanderthals with season tickets?

No worries. Everything is fine. Well, except for that part about the Sharks folding up like a cheap pup tent and blowing two-game lead. By losing, two-zip Wednesday night the Sharks are eliminated from the playoffs and we don't have to worry about who's booing whom in San Jose.

In Edmonton, however, they are claiming the moral high ground. And you have to hand it to them, the 16,000-some fans did come through. When singer Paul Lorieau began the "Star Spangled Banner,'' they stood, waved silver pom-pons (I'm not really sure what the significance of that was), and cheered and sang along so loudly that they actually drowned out the song.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Nov 16, 2007 11:34PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-17 00:12, MagicSanta wrote:
There is a big difference, the Canadians were booing in pure dislike for the United States team and doing so was completely out of line. The San Jose fans were booing to show the Canadians what it felt like.
[/quote]

How in the world do you know these people's motivations? Maybe Jim Callahan should stand aside and let Magic Santa take Criss Angel's money.

Seriously, though, in all your bombast, you continually claim to know why other people do the things they do.

John
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Nov 16, 2007 11:35PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-17 00:15, MagicSanta wrote:
I'm also from Washington...only I'm from the part further South and uglier than where Mr. Josh is.
[/quote]

And that explains why you're only occasionally cool.

John
Message: Posted by: Big Jeff (Nov 17, 2007 01:06AM)
I was talking about the fans at the Junior Hockey World Championship in Grand Forks ND, About 100 miles from winnipeg. They booed the US anthem and where loudly and rudely booing the American Team in every game. My cousins were there. I don't boo during the canadian athem I just don't stand up.
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 17, 2007 01:19AM)
How in the world do you know these people's motivations? Maybe Jim Callahan should stand aside and let Magic Santa take Criss Angel's money.

Because I am from San Jose, lived there for about 30 years (moved last year) and attended many of those games you speak of. Based on your statement the fans at San Jose Sharks games boo the Canadian anthem. Since you only know what you were told on the news I am telling you that I have gone to many games since the Sharks first started playing (at the Cow Palace) and many of them against Canadian teams and I'm telling you that the fans never bood the anthem. The only time that occured was after Canadians bood at the kids game, that was shown on the news in San Jose. Now lets do some pondering here.....fans don't boo anthem and in fact sing it and applaud at dozens of games against Canadian teams. The Canadians wildly boo the US anthem, an act that was shown on the news throughout the US. At a game there after the Canadian anthem was bood, that was also on the news. Now let us see if we can figure out the motivation...hmmmmm....this may take some time...very difficult to figure out why a crowd of civil people would suddenly go from singing to booing then later back to singing. I wonder what event took place that could have influenced that....wait....no, I just can't figure it out. Can you sir?
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 17, 2007 01:27AM)
Ahhhh...the Oiler booing. Here is what another article said:





SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San Jose Sharks fans loudly booed the Canadian national anthem Sunday night before Game 5 of their team's second-round playoff series with the Edmonton Oilers.

The vociferous booing started from the opening notes of singer Annmarie Martin's rendition of O Canada. While other fans attempted to drown it out by singing along, the boos were audible until the final notes.

Pregame anthem booing was a hot-button issue in sports shortly after the beginning of the war in Iraq, with fans in Chicago's Wrigley Field, Montreal's Bell Centre and other arenas booing their neighbors' anthem from 2002-04.

There was no apparent political motive for the booing in San Jose -- just a questionable expression of the fans' dislike of the Oilers, who won the last two games in Edmonton to tie the series at two games apiece.

The Shark Tank fans didn't boo O Canada before the first two games, and fans in Edmonton didn't boo The Star-Spangled Banner last week.


It still stands that most the time the San Jose fans sing the Canadian anthem.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Nov 17, 2007 09:17AM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-17 02:27, MagicSanta wrote:
Ahhhh...the Oiler booing. Here is what another article said:





SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San Jose Sharks fans loudly booed the Canadian national anthem Sunday night before Game 5 of their team's second-round playoff series with the Edmonton Oilers.

The vociferous booing started from the opening notes of singer Annmarie Martin's rendition of O Canada. While other fans attempted to drown it out by singing along, the boos were audible until the final notes.

Pregame anthem booing was a hot-button issue in sports shortly after the beginning of the war in Iraq, with fans in Chicago's Wrigley Field, Montreal's Bell Centre and other arenas booing their neighbors' anthem from 2002-04.

There was no apparent political motive for the booing in San Jose -- just a questionable expression of the fans' dislike of the Oilers, who won the last two games in Edmonton to tie the series at two games apiece.

The Shark Tank fans didn't boo O Canada before the first two games, and fans in Edmonton didn't boo The Star-Spangled Banner last week.


It still stands that most the time the San Jose fans sing the Canadian anthem.
[/quote]

I like the optimism of the final paragraphs. Fact is, boors are everywhere.

John
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Nov 17, 2007 09:49AM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-17 02:06, Big Jeff wrote:
I was talking about the fans at the Junior Hockey World Championship in Grand Forks ND, About 100 miles from winnipeg. They booed the US anthem and where loudly and rudely booing the American Team in every game. My cousins were there. I don't boo during the canadian athem I just don't stand up.
[/quote]

Fans in Grand Forks booed the US anthem? Google turns up nothing. But I'm glad you are fighting back. That will teach whoever was in the stands at a game you didn't attend for doing something your cousin told you about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44P8C4VJkN4&feature=related

John
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 17, 2007 12:56PM)
I saw else where that our friend Balducci brought up that two Hispanic names are on the top ten surnames in the US. Since the Spanish came to the region several hundred years ago that shouldn't come as a surprise....I happen to like the hispanic community. While I don't do searches on Canadian things to target as Bal does US ones I decided to check the top ten surnames in Canada. Interestingly they govt of Canada doesn't issue that information, they don't want to hurt anyones feelings I guess. The record does exist as taken from phone books etc and separated as "Canada" and "Quebec", we will forget Quebec at the moment. The most common last name in Canada.......Li. Two other Asian names appear in the top ten as well. Congrats to Canada, you are now an Asian country, no wonder your strong attachments to China.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Nov 17, 2007 01:03PM)
We welcome immigrants from all countries. Nobody seems to think that the sky is falling.

But if you really want to say horrible things about Canada, do a google search on the name Robert Dziekanski. His death while being subdued by the RCMP has brought forth equal amounts of rage and shame across the country. Feel free to say mean things; they will pale in comparison to the things we are saying ourselves right now.

John
Message: Posted by: balducci (Nov 17, 2007 01:19PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-17 13:56, MagicSanta wrote:
I saw else where that our friend Balducci brought up that two Hispanic names are on the top ten surnames in the US. Since the Spanish came to the region several hundred years ago that shouldn't come as a surprise....I happen to like the hispanic community. While I don't do searches on Canadian things to target as Bal does US ones I decided to check the top ten surnames in Canada.
[/quote]
Man, you are such a jerk, twisting words and spinning events to match your shallow view of the world and the people in it. I mean, what was the point of your rant except to insinuate that I have something against Hispanics?

If that wasn't your point, then I hereby apologise for misreading your intent.

I only initiated those searches because Doug mentioned something about baby names in different countries ("they lost both our countries and is about to lose another etc.") and so I was interested in reading more about the subject. In fact, he is the one who suggested looking up the most popular baby names in the U.K. Since he mentioned "our countries" it made perfect sense to look up stats for America and Canada as well.

So why don't you criticise Doug for initiating that line of discussion and "targeting" groups in the first place? Why don't you ask Doug what he has against Muslim people named Mohamed? (I'm not saying he does, but if you are going to pick on me for mentioning Garcia you should pick on him as well.)

I'm sure that Doug and I both appreciate the Hispanic and Muslim communities.

As for baby names in Canada, I did do a google search for that. Unfortunately, I could not find an on-line data base as good as the one for the U.S. or U.K. on-line.

You are right there are many Asians in Canada. In particular, we welcome immigrants from China in such a way and to an extent that some other countries do not. So it makes perfect sense that "Li" "Lee" "Chan" Cheung" are very popular in Canada.
Message: Posted by: balducci (Nov 17, 2007 02:09PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-17 13:56, MagicSanta wrote:
I saw else where that our friend Balducci brought up that two Hispanic names are on the top ten surnames in the US. Since the Spanish came to the region several hundred years ago that shouldn't come as a surprise....
[/quote]
Actually, it is surprising insomuch as it evidently took several hundred years for those names to crack into the top 10. Why did it take so long? And it is rather amazing that "the number of Hispanics living in the United States burgeoned by 58 percent in the 1990s to nearly 13 percent of the total population". That is an incredible demographic change in just a few short years.

Those are amazing and surprising statistics no matter how you spin it.
Message: Posted by: NJJ (Nov 17, 2007 05:02PM)
This thread really accurately the strength of symbols and the dangers of putting too much meaning behind them.

You have two countries, American and Canada, who, on a global scale, are very similar in culture and values. And whilst many differences exist, there is no real reason for any significant tension between the nations.

And yet, there manages to be an ideological struggle about who booed who at whose sporting event. Consider the following quote for everybodies favourite pinko, leftie tree hugger, Noam Chomsky:

" But the point is, it does make sense: it's a way of building up irrational attitudes of submission to authority, and group cohesion behind leadership elements -- in fact, it's training in irrational jingoism."
Message: Posted by: Corona Smith (Nov 17, 2007 06:28PM)
Once again the animals were conscious of a vague uneasiness. Never to have any
dealings with human beings, never to engage in trade, never to make use of money— had not these been among the earliest resolutions passed at the first triumphant Meeting when Jones was expelled?
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 17, 2007 08:35PM)
Poor Balducci.... I love the Canadanese people. My point was that the only reason you could have posted the addition of two Spanish surnames is to say "ha ha you Mexican hating Americans, the hispanics are catching up and going to take over and powers that be will fall!". Well, not all or even most Americans have any problems with people in the US of Spanish, Hispanic, or Latin ancenstry. Some have issues with illegal immigrants from any country because a country has the right to protect its borders, Mexico does it, the US should do it. Now I was stationed in Latin America and I love the culture and living most my life in California I was around Mexican Americans and like 'em and have no problems with 'em. Now you say it took so long for their names to get into the top ten, well, do you want to look at the list of names of people who are not in the top ten? I'll give you a hint....all of them except for ten of 'em. You keep on digging son and I'll keep on tossing the dirt back at you. You brought up tazing a college kid, you all killed a guy, you mentioned the outragious fact that in the days of WW2 the US interned Japanese American families, I pointed out that not only did Canada do it equally as a percentage as the US but you separated families, put men into labor camps, and waited years after the war before releasing them and years after the US did. What next, biker gangs? Check the numbers, Canada wins for biker gang related friction killings! Hookers....been to Van Couver lately? Mass murderers, did you all try that guy who killed the hookers and put em on his pig farm? I am responding to you and if you want that to stop then keep it to yourself. Bring it up and it better be about something like irresponsible jet skiers during Spring Break, you know, things they don't have there....

Canada is a beautiful country with, for the most part, as large a percentage of nice people as there are in other countries (not all countries, some countries are mean). They have a long history of medical and technical contributions to the world. Leave it at that. If you want to keep digging, like I said, don't be upset when the dirt under your nails is seen.
Message: Posted by: balducci (Nov 17, 2007 08:54PM)
Magic, you seem overly defensive and sensitive. Whenever a Canadian says anything, no matter how innocuous, you seem to interpret it as a slam against America.

Yes, Canada has lots of problems. Start a thread on the subject. Let's discuss drugs in Vancouver, or Mulroney. Maybe someone will discuss these Canadian issues with you. I tried making Canadian-related issue threads in the past, but no one seemed to want to discuss those topics. But, hey, maybe I'm wrong, so go ahead with my blessing.

And, again, I was not the one who brought up the top ten names subject of discussion in the first place so I don't know why you are picking on me for it. :rolleyes:
Message: Posted by: Corona Smith (Nov 17, 2007 09:02PM)
Somehow it seemed as though the farm had grown richer without making the animals themselves any richer— except, of course, for the pigs and the dogs.
Message: Posted by: balducci (Nov 17, 2007 09:10PM)
Lol. You know your Orwell. At least, it sounds like something from Animal Farm.

I'm more of a 1984 aficiando sort of guy, myself.
Message: Posted by: Corona Smith (Nov 17, 2007 09:15PM)
Here at the Ministry of Truth, we just cut and paste.
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 17, 2007 09:27PM)
You comment, I'll comment, you keep your remarks to yourself, I'll keep mine to myself. Not to upset you but I really don't think many really give much thought to Canada so thus why your threads die like a baby seal trying to escape a Quebebor.

Corona...I'm interested to see what you produce tomorrow....
Message: Posted by: Corona Smith (Nov 17, 2007 09:28PM)
I'm working on a fully grown cow production.
Message: Posted by: magicgeorge (Nov 17, 2007 09:35PM)
I'm an aficiando aficionado. I shouldn't make fun of your spelling; you might have dystopia.
Message: Posted by: balducci (Nov 17, 2007 09:46PM)
I gnu it didn't look write when I typed it oot.
Message: Posted by: magicgeorge (Nov 17, 2007 10:19PM)
Ha, I had to go check the spelling before I corrected it! I was just hoping you'd misspelt(sp) it so I could use my amusing malapropism.
Message: Posted by: NJJ (Nov 17, 2007 10:34PM)
Just to be clear, the rest of the world sees no difference between Canada and America (with exception of Curling, French speaking and comedians who are actually funny)
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Nov 17, 2007 11:23PM)
Speaking of comedians I just decided the Brits are funny. I saw a talk show on BBC today and it had me rolling.