(Close Window)
Topic: Magellan Witch Levitation
Have you guys seen this? It's a new stage (possibly parlor) levitation by Jimmy Fingers.

http://www.jimmyfingers.com/levitation.htm

I understand that he is just starting to build these out and will be selling these shortly. I talked with Jimmy a while back regarding this levitation and this could be a big hit for the right venue and for the right show.

This is a levitation. The can girl rise and descend. In fact, there is a horizontal and a vertical rise that is possible, as well as 2 fully revealed floats (the cloth is removed). The video he has on his site only shows one of the many stages that could be peformed with this gimmick. Given the number of things that are possible with this gimmick, this could well be thought of as a utility item, rather than just a levitation illusion. The ideas are endless only with your imagination.

Some of the things that I see could be done with this gimmick (I'm brainstorming here)are:
- an appearance of a lady
- a horizontal levitation
- a horizontal suspension
- a vertical levitation
- a vertical suspension
- possibly a vanish (however the vanish may be a bit of a stretch)
- a flash appearance of a vertically floating lady
- an appearing lady's floating head (ala zombie style) with the head floating down, to the side, and up higher than the magician, with a complete lady appearance at the end.

These are just some ideas off the top of my head knowing what the Magellan Witch Levitation can do. The website only discusses a few of these concepts. But I think it could be much more.

I hope this is available soon.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Nov 20, 2007 04:07PM)
That looks absolutely astounding. I want this!
Looks interesting. Price anyone?
Plus can the assistant be wearing a tighter outfit?
Would like to hear more.
Jimmy?

magicmike30
It does look nice. What's the price on this?
This looks good. The only thing I don't care for, is the time the spectator waits before they do the "dirty work" behind the curtain, but I understand the need to set up..
Yeah, a little too long cover for my taste. Levi is great.
Hi all,

The time issue was due to these problems. My wife has chronic back issues, she's extremely uncoordinated, unrehearsed, and it was one of the first times that we'd done it.

The video was an afterthought, based on a photoshoot that Maritess put together on her pilgrimmage to Houston.

Any good duo, with practice, can do this much more quickly, and many more effects, as Scott stated.

Tight fitting clothing would be fine, except, perhaps on the horizontal suspension.
Priced below four figures.
The site says that this effect is physically demanding for the performer and the assistant. I would like Mr. Fingers to provide a further clarification as to what degree and to what extent is it physically demanding: ie. you have to be able to lift a certain amount of weight, etc.

Michael
The effect is only physically demanding for the assistant if you are doing the horizontal suspension aspect of this utility prop.

I am 43, and I can achieve the position necessary to accomplish the effect. I don't work out, but I'm very athletic and close to height/weight proportional.

The assistant has to only be able to do what is asked of her in a standard physical examination to join a high school athletic team.

The real challenge is choreography, and getting the transitions tight and happening without thinking about where each of you is supposed to be.

At no time is the performer or any part of the performer supporting or lifting the assistant in any way.

Does this answer some of your questions?

That being said, this is not your usual Gwynne/Harbin walkaway or Super-X.

Please check back in at my website for updated pricing and descriptions.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Oh, my WOW!!! I've just come up with a mid-air rotation for the effect, as well. A 360 degree rotation that will just seal this routine.

The ideas for this just keep coming, and I can't wait to see what some creative duos do with this prop.

Jimmy
Demo!....Demo!....Demo!....Demo!....

maybe I should wait my purchase afer the FINAL And Improved Version is out :)
This requires no change in the original gimmick. Its a utility gimmick, and people will be coming up with new ideas for this prop regularly.

JF
But still....we need a link for the Demo!
I included the link above in my review. Scroll all the way to the bottom for a Youtube link of a performance of the vertical levitation that you can do with this utility device.
After a few PM's, I realized that my initial post may have been misread by some, so I wanted to clarify. I listed a number of possible things that could be done with this gimmick that came from the top of my head. What did not come across clearly is that many of these things can be strung together into a complete routine.

For example, you could do the following complete routine:
1. Lady appears
2. Horizontal rise
3. Horizontal reveal (woman floating horizontally with cloth off)
4. Woman moves from horizontal to vertical position
5. Woman levitates vertically (this stage is shown in the video)
6. Vertical reveal (also shown in the video)
7. Vertical descent

I wanted to make sure that it was understood that it was just not one of these ideas that could be done at one time, but it has the ability to mix and match these ideas to create a great routine.

I hope that helps clear some questions up.
I am taking orders now. Don't forget the midair 360 degree rotation. This one is a beauty!

I cannot do a demo at this time, due to the lack of an assistant. I have a friend from World's Greatest Magic who is dying to run through this with his assistant.

[quote]
On 2007-11-26 13:14, semo wrote:
After a few PM's, I realized that my initial post may have been misread by some, so I wanted to clarify. I listed a number of possible things that could be done with this gimmick that came from the top of my head. What did not come across clearly is that many of these things can be strung together into a complete routine.

For example, you could do the following complete routine:
1. Lady appears
2. Horizontal rise
3. Horizontal reveal (woman floating horizontally with cloth off)
4. Woman moves from horizontal to vertical position
5. Woman levitates vertically (this stage is shown in the video)
6. Vertical reveal (also shown in the video)
7. Vertical descent

I wanted to make sure that it was understood that it was just not one of these ideas that could be done at one time, but it has the ability to mix and match these ideas to create a great routine.

I hope that helps clear some questions up.
[/quote]
The ideas just keep coming...

Imagine, the assistant rises, as in the video. The sheet is whisked away, displaying her in flight, witch style. The sheet is brought back in front of the feet... she begins to rotate, in mid-air, as the sheet is raised. As she gets to the point that she is facing rearward(?), the sheet covers her completely, momentarily.

As the sheet is lowered, the body continues rotating, in the same continuous direction... but, it's not the assistant! Now, it's the performer, continuing to complete the 360 degree rotation, in mid-air!

With the right work and choreography, you've got something amazing here! If the hair of the performers is similar, you can do it that way, or even use a hat that is switched before the revelation of the final 180 degree continuation of the rotation.

JF
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Nov 27, 2007 04:39PM)
Mesmer makes demands for Demo...demo...demo!

Well, maybe that's what you want, but it's not always what you get.

In the old days you read your catalogue description over and over,
then either ordered it or didn't order it.

Mr. Fingers was totally honest and candid in his description of what this illusion will or won't do.

And after seeing this I told him he was totally NUTS if he did not double or triple the price for this revolutionary and ***ed-clever piece of thinking.

Magically,
Walt
Why is the demo video taken at a far distance? Does this mean it can only be performed that far or a theater type setting?
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Nov 27, 2007 05:55PM)
See his post above that this was a video done on the fly
without a lot of planning so don't assume any details
like far distance from that.

Instead read this entire thread,
read the info on their website,
then you'll know what you need to know
to make a sound business decision.

Walt
To all concerned,

Coming from a levitation/suspension illusion master like Walt, I cannot be any more thrilled with his endorsement of this piece.

I apologize to anyone who might have been ready to buy this before the price increase.

Anyone having a hard time parting with the new price for this would have probably been disappointed with the piece upon receiving this at the sub-$1k mark. This is and should initially be exclusive to the most creative artists working in the markets.

Thank you again, Walt. Your input has been of great importance to me. Also Scott Emo, Kenneth Havard, and Maritess, the first person who showed enough interest to bring this thing, literally, out of the back of my closet.

Concerning the distance, this is definitely a large parlor to stage sized effect. It is as described before, as Walt states. I feel that the descriptions have been optimistic, but fair.

Sincerely,

Jimmy Fingers
I hope this is not the same as what Yogano used to sell. Yogano's was more of a suspension that could be stored in a small briefcase, too. Just looks like this is a more improved version with more moves than just the girl floating in mid-air. I understand you have to provide your own cloth and the other extra gimmicks.
There are no extra gimmicks. The pole is just for the hem of the sheet/cloth. There is only one gimmick, and it fits, as I've said before, into a suitcase.

Walt has backed me up on this, and, as a levitation/suspension master, he will verify the things that I've said, because he's seen this and understands what is happening.
I like this Lev.. but could I use a member of the audience, as I work on my own. I am looking for a brilliant stage effect for a solo performer.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Nov 29, 2007 03:45PM)
This is for sure a stage levitation of an assistant and not a self-levitation.
I am having a quick, preshow rehearsed version fabricated this weekend. My agent wants me to have it ready to levitate Cindy Crawford at an event that we will be appearing at next week. It will not require more than three minutes of rehearsal, and the setup lag in the video will be eliminated, but the rise will be a few inches less. Also, with such a short rehearsal time, the rotation and horizontal levitation would be unlikely.

The irony is that after a few performances, more laymen will know the secret to this effect than magicians.

Strange, huh?

Please, don't even BREATHE the words Hans Klok!!! Besides, my hair is pretty short right now.

Jimmy Fingers
Update:

Unfortunately, I was unable to perform the abbreviated Magellan Witch effect with Cindy Crawford at the Emirates Airlines launch here in Houston. My agent was really pushing for it, but somehow it did not work out. I still did the event, got the pay, but the performance of the levitation was a no-go.

However, after an out-of-town brainstorming getaway with a magician friend, I have come up with another breakthrough in levitation (not suspension) effects.

The Magellan Solo, in two different sizes and versions, has been conceptually created on a computer drafting/design program, and should be available soon. Unfortunately, my builder is backed up with projects, and will not be able to produce this until after the New Year. Thus, there is no video or real-life experience with this prop... yet.

The effect is similar, but with no need for an assistant. The performer is in the position of the levitated witch, without the additional performer or any support from behind. The performer is center stage, he holds a sheet or cloth in front of himself, stretched between his widely spread hands, and he mysteriously rises to a height of almost 8 feet, or, with the second iteration, around 9 and a half feet. The performer is hovering, and then releases the cloth from one of his hands, revealing the striking image of him floating without attachment, cover or visible support. A slight mid-air rotation display, and the remaining descent is the reverse of the description.

I can see several potential custom variations of this that will suit different styles and setups. I feel confident that this could be accomplished in various situations, including the possibility of living room/house parties where a small, mobile, subtle levitation method would have HUGE value and potential.

However, at this time, I do not have any real world experience with this prop. Within the next 2 months, I am expecting the debut of this effect in another illusionist's show in a showroom in Laughlin, Nevada. However, the show has not been completely confirmed as of yet. Either way, there will be video of the effect available soon after the first prototype has been completed.

The method of the rise is identical to the Magellan Witch, but the changes made to accomplish this are EXACTLY the same types of advancements that were used with previous traditional suspensions. In fact, those who see both methods will look at a similar history of evolution of methods in the middle of the last century. Not only am I standing on the shoulders of giants. I'm taking a similar path of evolution, as well. Robert Harbin, Jack Gwynne, Karrell Fox, Abb Dickson, Ed Balducci, and, surely, others.

I am currently duplicating my compact walkaway, shown in my video on youtube. A few of you have shown an interest in having one of these. My friend who worked in World's Greatest Magic for several years in Las Vegas finally realized that the angles, construction, geometry and overall design of my personal suspension create something really special. He is currently having it copied by a builder, and it will be ready soon. Compared to other versions that are commercially available, mine is perfect for transporting and performing in compromising situations. The visibility angles are far superior to anything on the market, and the removal of the board is a huge selling point. By the way, he currently possesses a Magellan Witch levitation-standard, the actual gimmick used in the youtube video.

Within the next few days, the walkaway should be complete, and we should have an idea of how much these will cost to build. We will not be building these to be ready to ship, but, rather, on a per-order basis at first, until we see a demand. We're expecting them to sell for more than a Klamm/Sommers, but much less than the next, more expensive, most popular one.

However, as more people are aware of the full line of Magellan versions, we expect that the interest in the walkaways will wane, due to obsolescence. I also feel that the person who owns the Magellan Witch will also want to own a Magellan Solo for those times when the assistant might not be available.

Even the famous inventor/builder of the most famous suspensions (or, as he calls them, levitations) in history says that the Magellan Witch is the most substantial invention and concept for levitation/rising proposed in a long time. He simply cannot endorse it, because, as he says, it will completely put him out of business. He feels that the Magellan concepts are in direct competition with his products. At the time, he was unaware of the Magellan Solo project, and I'm sure that the existence of this concept would make him even more hesitant to give proper kudos to the lineup, for the same reasons. These are very simple, workable solutions to the problems that the working performer has struggled with for years. No assistant, transport problems, mechanical issues, angles, contrived concepts.

The people that I've spoken with are well aware of the potential for infringement, and the current ethical climate in the industry. What can you do? Well, we are convinced that we can compete with knockoffs and infringers if we work harder, smarter and offer service and creativity with possible upgrades and a potential trade in and modification program. We hope to ultimately offer this for a price that will be lower than the average magician going to a builder and fabricating these gimmicks on his own. The trial and error, exacting dimensions and R&D have all been tested for you. It simply won't be worth the trouble of building your own.

I may also consider releasing plans for the construction of all of these pieces, but the prices will have to be considerable, for many reasons. Details, development, exclusivity. And file sharing programs.

The more that I deal with magicians and magic builders, the more that I realize that the knowledge of the subtleties and real-world workings of these pieces AND all of the pre-existing methods are not thoroughly understood. Many magicians may know how most levitation tricks work, but beyond that knowledge, they are clueless to the finer points of execution and fabrication. I can speak with any illusionist for ten-minutes, and explain the shortcomings and misconceptions about the most highly regarded, so-called 'levitations' in the business. Even then, very few magicians will have the insight to understand what I've explained.

Sorry for the long post, but this is what many are considering to be the most revolutionary advancement in practical levitation in several decades, if not EVER. Even compared with the most expensive and popular suspensions, this is the pinnacle of design, concept, portability and real world usability.

See the posts by the most critical of suspension/levitation critics on these forums. The critical acclaim and consensus concerning this utility levitation/production/suspension gimmick is widespread and overwhelmingly inspiring for those who have been presented with the secret and applications. And it seems that everyone exposed to this concept has a different implementation of the performance of this piece.

Thank you for your interest in this project, and please do not hesitate to contact me with general questions and acquisition inquiries.

Jimmy Fingers
Thanks to Jeff McBride for being our first customer of the standard Magellan Witch Levitation, as seen on the video listed in the topic above.

His insight and commitment to the art of magic are unparalleled, and his gracious support is truly appreciated by all involved with this project. His innovative spirit makes him the pioneer in simple, beautiful COMMANDO-style magic. This transaction exemplifies a perfect union of performer and concept.

Jimmy Fingers
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Dec 30, 2007 11:07AM)
When can we purchase this? And how much will it be approximately? What about for the Solo levitation?
It's available at the link listed. The price is there, as well. The Solo is still in development, and I'm waiting for the builder to finish it in a few days. I would expect the pricing for the Solo to be similar to the Witch, but a bit lighter weight. If, for some reason, the Solo ends up being ineffective in front of a live audience, I will not pursue it. But, I'm guessing that it will be just as impacting as the Witch.

These are made to order, at this time, and the turnaround should be about 2-3 weeks.

If I do end up building a run of these, they will be ready for shipping sooner. With Jeff's involvement in this project, however, a waiting list may develop.

Thanks for your interest!

Jimmy
I know this is a rather old thread, but I noticed that the http://www.jimmyfingers.com/levitation link seems to be down now. Is there a new link?
It's here now - http://jimmyfingers.com/magellanlevitation.html