(Close Window)
Topic: Phenom Finale
"I'll be your Sledge Hammer" by Raven....

Good stuff - Ross is given a magic amulet that makes him stiff as a board...he is placed on two tops of chairs and a concrete brick is placed on his belly and smashed by Raven.... which then ends the thing with a inspiration message... if he skipped the last speech it would have been slightly better IMHO

The Deal or No Deal girls laugh.

By the way, did you notice all the times I have been posting DEAL OR NO DEAL weeks before? My first prediction has come true- the Deal or No Deal girls are in the audience.

I am the armchair phenom :P

-----

Oh, the opener sent Guy out. However, they opened with 4 celebs picking four coloured flags and handing to the finalists who ripped off their tops to show matching coloured shirts. Nice visual.

----

More on the spot coverage to follow.

----

Oh yeah, CA is in his usual form and picking on JC for no reason.

---

Also, stupid clips of Phenoms like the Loch Ness Monster and Crop cricles are showen i.e. #5 and #4 crazy phenom...

----

OOOO here comes Deal or No Deal....
The Tattoo Man is now doing the spare change trick (with a NW! Wowsa! Way to go)...

The Madman of Mentalism now is doing a card trick.... human lie detector on a card... suit.... next card... ooo a number and a suit... ummm... uh OK>

Jan... kisses the hand of a DoND girl (he is a European)... and is using a sharp razor blade to cut paper... demo's its sharpness with paper... gets the girl to hold it... Jan is checking out her breasts..... grabs the razor from her hands with his fingers on the sharp ends...a dn presses in and bends it...(OK, c'mon)

GM now doing a ESP symbol trick... makes a girl mark one on a big board... another is going to pick up her images in the water dish... three wavy lines appear... NICE. He invites all to come to his vega$ show

Ehud... light bulb effect (no spinning cards in evidence) - good and bad energy... gets the hot women to hold him (good move Ehud!).... summons bad energy and the lightbulb explodes!!!!

JIMBO.... does a rope trick... makes a rope go through his belly - and does it in a humourous and light way...smiling and joking...good for you Yojimbo!!!!

-------------------

Boy, there are a lot of store bought effects out tonight! Eeek. However, Tattoo did get (hopefully) the number of a DoND girl... Madman made some chuckle... Jan did his European charm.... Ehud blew a bulb...and Jim is showing his light side.

--------------------

More coming after this commercial break....
Phenom #3 countdown - Stonehenge (zzzz)

Oh, Criss Angel Clip kicking the camera angle.... woo hoo...

--------------------

MIKE SUPER takes the stage.

Gets blonde spec.

Card Effect!

USA today paper. Bought something sweet in a paper bag!

"You did a great job shuffling" oy :).... she deals 8 cards... he takes the deck back... spec then chooses a random dollar bill from a bin... and then puts her into a transparent box that blows around a ton of dollar bills and she will grab one... "The Marilyn Monroe" effect he calls it "We turned a newsanchor into an airhead :))"... grabs a dollar, she folds it in half... places it in an envelope "As he doesn't want to touch ot" ;).... places dollar bill in the envelope (ho ho)... 8 random cards.... oooo I see it coming.... the cards match the serial # of the dollar bill!!! TADA!

Berglas / Becker combo again - big props for a closeup effect.... ooooo.... but wait - his kicker comes.... he asks her to imagine what she would buy for a dollar that is sweet... "A cookie... a chocolate cookie" "A chocolate chip cookie".... the cookie is in the bag....

And in the USA today.... on page 13D is placed the classified ad... all the actions are predicted.

Hmmm... do I detect a variation on a theme... Mike, I loves ya, man... but I notice the triple prediciton kicker with big props..... but what the hey... go for it, magic mental man!!!!!

I'd hire him for a gig :)

------------------------------------------

Mike SUper book "Triple Predicitions Made Big"

0----------------------------

Next a mental massacre with a chainsaw from Angela Funovits.
Up to this point no challenge from the big Callahan to crook angel ??

why am I not surprised ??
Maybe they're saving it for a boffo close to a boffo series.

Or maybe it's a case of "sell the fizzle, not the fake."
Unexplained Phenom thing #2.... Area 51

I like that one - Cthulhoid Mi-go who pretend to be the Greys and all that.

Angela Funovits takes the stage.

"She is going to give a cutting edge performance" OUCH... Oh, her attire may be complained about by the usual suspects around here... but I must say I like it.

Poor Ross is about to go through a being sawed in half performance.... she tied him up, gagged him - and you will note her costume is very dominatrix like.

The women are placing him in a box.

AF does not see which box he is in. She is now walking around with a chainsaw about to cut through random boxes... she is wearing protective eyewear! See! She is a good role model for how to protect eyes...

Now she getting a spec to pick boxes (MC/Equiv heheeeee... I love that)... and starting sawing through boxes.... Ross has a camera on him and he looks scared... the womens say AF is cuh-razy!!!!.... Getting specs to chop chop....

AF is using the motif of reading the mind of a woman who put Ross in a box.... no more choices - now just sawing baed on random thoughts...

OOOO he is safe!! AF says "OH thank God!"

No giggling! Oh yeah - she knocked that out of the park :) She looks happy! A nice powerful woman figure tonight! As she said, time for men to get sawed in half versus the traditional women!

----------------------------------

Elimination who goes home next.....

Erun Raven is OUT....

NOTE My next prediction has come true again... ANGELA is in the FINAL TWO as I SAID MONTHS AGO....

Yes, Dr S, the Armchair Phenom.

--------------------------
Unexplained Phenom #1.... The BERMUDA TRIANGLE oooo (Hey Prof Peadbody - one day we'll finish that book project :) hail TINDALOS!!!)

The Envelope Pleez:

1 Envelope saved for opening episode of MINDFREAK....

JIM C is NOT being offered to GUESS... but URI is... URI refuses....

Criss Angel shows the number written on a paper 911.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Boring. Boring. Boring. JC not offered. Boring. BORING.

The Winner is:

MIKE SUPER

------------

Oh, take note my three predictions came true all can be proven with thread searches...

The Deal or No Deal girls

Angela in the final two

Mike Super is the Winner

-------------------

Now to go back playing dice with the universe.

It is sad to be able to see the future like this - but such is my lot in life.

-------------------

Now, let us go crazy on the fact JC was denied his ability to destroy

-----------------

Mike Super, congrats! And Angela, you will be getting so many opportunities - you are a winner too!

And hats off to all who participate.

----------------

The armchair mizzarist awaits to read the chaos.
No Callahan Challenge. that's a let down.
What did I say last night about Jim, Doc ?
The two finalists were Super Fun.
Seems they wouldn't even let him talk....Everyone knew that he wanted a shot!
How do they decide the winner when no one voted?
Are you kidding me?

I think this proved americans love magicians and not mentalists...

Mike super?

Really?

WOW
Superlative commentary sir!

I feel like I was there, and it was a strange horse race with people doing tricks on their backs, and the lights flashing, and the girls, and the boys all together, wriggling.

Thanks.
Callahan did a nice trick with the rope though, sweet!
The whole show was a let down...

NEXT CONTROVERSY!

Hmmm....

Maybe I should go stir something up....
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:03, stanalger wrote:
The two finalists were Super Fun.
[/quote]

:)
Yes, but who say's that the CA envelope opened tonight with "911" on it is the same one from weeks ago...
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:06, DMG wrote:
Callahan did a nice trick with the rope though, sweet!
[/quote]

...explaining once and for all what a "paranormalist" is!

Bravo Jim, well done!
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:12, RileyG wrote:
Yes, but who say's that the CA envelope opened tonight with "911" on it is the same one from weeks ago...
[/quote]

Who cares?

Terry
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:14, Terry Holley wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:12, RileyG wrote:
[/quote]

Who cares?

Terry
[/quote]
Seconded - Angel and Callahan saga ends - THANK THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE!!!
Jim's rope effect is his own creation...developed it many, many years ago. Incredibly clever methodology.

I think he chose to perform that effect because he was making a statement about what this show was really about...'cause it sure wasn't mentalism.

As an added bonus...I bet Criss Angel is still scratching his head in wonder.

Best,
Mick
Exactly Terry!

It was pointless.

The goal was to have a CHALLENGE - money on the line - reputations on the line - something with dramatic tension...

In the end.... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Who cares if it was switched because there was no effect! Talk about anticlimax.

Oh well, maybe Jim will be a guest on the season premiere of MINDFREAK.

Hey CA dressed up for the night! EEHHH
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:16, Mick Ayres wrote:
Jim's rope effect is his own creation...developed it many, many years ago. Incredibly clever methodology.
[/quote]

Did he market it? I'm fairly certain this effect was on the market years ago.

Terry
Whatever - Jimbo basically demo'd a magic effect and showed the scope of the Paranormalist.

Anyone who still thinks he claims real supernatural powers after that.... please check into Bellvue.

Oh, my next prediction - Angela Funovits will be the Big Winner overall.
I had this "sick" feeling when Criss showed the prediction. I'm not here to knock him...I just felt it really wasn't in good taste. I realize that he wanted to make a point, but it just didn't leave me with a very good feeling. I would have much rather seen a :) face or something mundane.

Terry
Ah - you are finally seeing the aspect of CA many of us do not enjoy either. It was too heavy, preachy, and tasteless. This is an entertainment show.

Note to CA: Stop listening to Randi and enjoy yourself. It is time for the 4 ghosts to visit you.
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:21, Dr Spektor wrote:
Whatever - Jimbo basically demo'd a magic effect and showed the scope of the Paranormalist.

Anyone who still thinks he claims real supernatural powers after that.... please check into Bellvue.

Oh, my next prediction - Angela Funovits will be the Big Winner overall.
[/quote]
I took it as him basically thumbing his nose at the whole thing.
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:27, DMG wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]
I took it as him basically thumbing his nose at the whole thing.
[/quote]

He will be here shortly, I can't wait to hear the rest of the story. I would hope the gag order is lifted.
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:26, Dr Spektor wrote:
Ah - you are finally seeing the aspect of CA many of us do not enjoy either. It was too heavy, preachy, and tasteless. This is an entertainment show.

Note to CA: Stop listening to Randi and enjoy yourself. It is time for the 4 ghosts to visit you.
[/quote]

With all due respect, just because I wasn't vocal on the Café about Criss' remarks on the show doesn't mean I am "finally" seeing something. There were a number of things I didn't agree with (and why just be a parrot?), but some here responded in ways that were overboard (making fun of his lisp, etc). Those comments and some others were way out of line - and there seemed to be some jumping to conclusions, which I questioned.

Terry
That was Jim's way of Mocking the process and the fact that he was not allowed to take the challenge as he was asked to do and was willing to take...Bad Form NBC.
No Million in cash either..Seemed CA cut off URI amid sentance to open the dual envelope( Taking no chances by not allowing anyone to guess and the ability to switch if they did get it)
Kind of Sucked.
I'm glad Jim has gotten a few hundred thousand more hits on his website :)
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:35, Slim King wrote:
That was Jim's way of Mocking the process and the fact that he was not allowed to take the challenge as he was asked to do and was willing to take...Bad Form NBC.
No Million in cash either..Seemed CA cut off URI amid sentance to open the dual envelope( Taking no chances by not allowing anyone to guess and the ability to switch if they did get it)
Kind of Sucked.
[/quote]
Oh - I see... Uri was just about to spout "911" but CA cut him off to protect his million - hilarious!!!!
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:35, Slim King wrote:
Kind of Sucked.
[/quote]

Uri wasn't going to guess. If Criss hadn't cut him off the show would have ended because of time constraints before we knew who won :). And Slim, do you really think it was a gimmicked envelope?

I'd also like to hear directly from Jim as to why he did the rope thing as opposed to what may be conjecture.

Terry
CA is just rude to everyone...I'm not sure what Uri was going to say...I'm glad you were.
Where was the million...I didn't see one. I was sure there wouldn't be. :) The challenge was a bigger illusion than CA's fanclub.

Please help me out, as I don't watch much TV and NEVER the reality kind...Don't we get to vote on the winners? Is it standard NOT TO?
I honestly don't know.
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:44, Slim King wrote:
CA is just rude to everyone...I'm not sure what Uri was going to say...I'm glad you were.
Where was the million...I didn't see one. I was sure there wouldn't be. :) The challenge was a bigger illusion than CA's fanclub.

Please help me out, as I don't watch much TV and NEVER the reality kind...Don't we get to vote on the winners? Is it standard NOT TO?
I honestly don't know.
[/quote]

I wasn't there, but I'm a mentalist.

As I understand it, the voting was last week following the show. I'm not sure what you are asking.

Terry
Audience voting?? Im confused on this issue as well/
But who voted between Angela and Super for tonigths show?? Or was that decided last week too?
Everybody who wanted to vote voted last week. Tonight's performance wasn't part of the competition, it was part of the entertainment. Super and Funovitz were the two highest vote-getters last week, and Mike got more than Angela.
There were 4 to vote for last week (Guy was brought back on by Criss and Uri). The voting was done for 2 hours (I believe) after the show. The results were in by the next day and it was revealed tonight, a week later.

Terry
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:49, DMG wrote:
But who voted between Angela and Super for tonigths show?? Or was that decided last week too?
[/quote]

Don't lose sleep over it... I have been a personal friend of Uri's for over 15 years and I can tell you that the show sucked in the USA... Time to listen to Coast To Coast tonight with Jim K, and Mike S. as guests....

Uri and I at diner in NYC - below-
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:35, Terry Holley wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:26, Dr Spektor wrote:

[/quote]

With all due respect, just because I wasn't vocal on the Café about Criss' remarks on the show doesn't mean I am "finally" seeing something. There were a number of things I didn't agree with (and why just be a parrot?), but some here responded in ways that were overboard (making fun of his lisp, etc). Those comments and some others were way out of line - and there seemed to be some jumping to conclusions, which I questioned.

Terry
[/quote]

Ah, you saw it all along! Cool.

Respectfully,

Ooga Booga
The rope trick was marketed years ago by Meir Yedid. It was the creation of Jeff Stewart.
Angela gave away twice during her roulette routine where the "item" was in both the beginning show and finale. Watch out for "double checking" to make sure you're right.
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 22:32, truthteller wrote:
The rope trick was marketed years ago by Meir Yedid. It was the creation of Jeff Stewart.
[/quote]Thanks for that. In Callahan's 'reality' HE invented it, I bet.

There was a strange moment just before the chick picked up her chainsaw. She seemed to be acknowledging someone at stage right and I think she said, "Okay", almost as if she were replying to someone signaling her about which box the fancy boy was in.
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 22:40, Randwill wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Now how would You know that ?
Congratulations to Mike Super the new "Phenomena." His mentalism was exciting, mysterious and fun to watch. The finale show was a blast. What a great opening effect. Even my wife enjoyed it.
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 22:46, johnjnesbit wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

CA will say he did the ultimate version two weeks before anyone else... and not with a pansy rope... he put an elephant gun through his belly.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Caldwell (Nov 21, 2007 10:26PM)
Did anyone notice during the "envelope" segment, Uri in a rather strange commentary mentioned the numbers in envelope....Uri commented about Angel being born on the "NINEteenth," just "ONE" day prior to Geller's birthday (12/20). He then said he had bent his first spoon when Angel was "ONE." Kind of interesting commentary...and if it wasn't planned--very weird.

Christopher
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 23:26, Christopher Caldwell wrote:
Did anyone notice during the "envelope" segment, Uri in a rather strange commentary mentioned the numbers in envelope....Uri commented about Angel being born on the "NINEteenth," just "ONE" day prior to Geller's birthday (12/20). He then said he had bent his first spoon when Angel was "ONE." Kind of interesting commentary...and if it wasn't planned--very weird.

Christopher
[/quote]

I did notice that, while wondering what the point of it all was - and then realizing the number 9 1 1 were named.

Jonathan
Message: Posted by: Christopher Caldwell (Nov 21, 2007 10:40PM)
I'm thinking that Angel let him know somehow, the commentary was too contrived and disjointed, you know? If it was setup, it was a very subtle way of letting Uri remain the "true" phenomenon... If not a set-up, then what a coincidence! LOL

Christopher
I'm not much for flashy mentalism with a lot of props but that was exactly what PHENOMENON called for and Mike Super delivered the goods consistently. His win was well deserved.
What really let the air out of an already deflating show was Criss's rant and calling everything "Magic Tricks" I thought this was going to be Phenomenal entertainers astonishing and blowing the audience away? Every time Criss said, "Magic Tricks" it just cheapened the show and really let me down.

Guess what Criss - You make your living doing "Magic Tricks" and you don't do it very well either, you need camera edits, stooges and an army of advisors.

One thing this television show did reveal was enlighten many home viewers about what a jerk Criss really is.
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:20, Terry Holley wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:16, Mick Ayres wrote:
[/quote]

Did he market it? I'm fairly certain this effect was on the market years ago.

Terry
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

That's what I thought because I was considering using it at one time. Here it is (scroll down a bit):

http://www.mymagic.com/stewart.htm

Not bad for $5.00!

But maybe what Jim did is entirely different.

Terry
I owned the Meir Yedid version back in the early 90's. It was not the same method or actual effect that Jim performed tonight.

John
Anyone notice how CA almost looked afraid, that Uri was going to reveal his true age? When Uri stated that they were born 40 years and a day apart, he got sort of defensive. And he also, seemed defensive, as if he assumed Uri was trying to take credit for even knowing that.. as if Uri was claiming to have "read his mind" or whatever. CA said, "I told you that correct?"
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 23:26, Christopher Caldwell wrote:

Christopher
[/quote]
Man that's a stretch
Its funny how people see and infer what they WANT to see. Isn;t it?
True - but that is the art of Cold Reading.

And CA did cut of Uri before Uri could continue.

Uri didn't get to where he was because he is unskilled in mentalism - he was pumping info from CA with a good first shot... and CA may have panicked... and despite what might be said... the numbers offered where 19, 40 and 1. (Yes, I am not going to bend reality - but a good cold reader etc. would forget the 40, wouldn't they? Although the 40 would be worked into the tradgey of 911 if need be....)

I don't think CA told Uri because you can tell from the show, CA does not seem to like Uri one little bit.... when they shake hands someday, I may reconsider that theory.
I have to agree that CA certainly did not give Uri a tiny ounce of respect. Even if he doesn't believe the psychic stuff he should respect Uri as a talented individual.
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:59, RileyG wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 21:49, DMG wrote:
[/quote]

Don't lose sleep over it... I have been a personal friend of Uri's for over 15 years and I can tell you that the show sucked in the USA... Time to listen to Coast To Coast tonight with Jim K, and Mike S. as guests....

Uri and I at diner in NYC - below-
[/quote]

I am a big fan of Coast to Coast and sure enough, Angela, Jim Carol and Mike were on there last night as guests. The strange thing is before they came on, they had another guest on there who claimed to channel the dead.

Anyways, hats off to all of them and the careers that are just beginning. I am sure the show could have been much much better but someone else was calling all the shots.
I think Criss cut Uri off because he was afraid that Uri was about to give away his age. Criss doesn't want the public to know his true age and Uri was getting to that!
[quote]
On 2007-11-21 22:46, johnjnesbit wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]A dead guy told me. :P

Seriously, I thought I read a post by one of Callahan's buddies (Slim Jim?) last night in the mentalism section saying he invented it, but I don't care enough to look it up.
Read through the threads again. The version Jim performed last night was original and not a previously marketed one. (That's Slim King) ;)
[quote]
On 2007-11-22 00:49, johnjnesbit wrote:
I owned the Meir Yedid version back in the early 90's. It was not the same method or actual effect that Jim performed tonight.

John
[/quote]
Unless you've made up your own definition of the word 'effect' it was the same. More so, the presentation was almost identical to that Harry Allen of Daytona magic used to demonstrate the effect back in the late 80's, early 90's: Hold the rope to your side, show it's not really going through, repeat but this time bring it to the middle of the body, run it up and down a couple of times, pull it out again. His patter was the difference between magic and illusion.

So, John,. the effect was identical. If Jim's method is different then it can be replicated EXACTLY by the Stewart method. Ar you sure you remember the Stewart method correctly?
My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.
I didn't see the first show, but, overall, there seemed to be incremental improvements to the show as the weeks went by.

I thought the finale show was pretty good. The flag/shirt match was lovely. And Mike and Angela's performances were very entertaining. As was that effeminate man, Ross.

Congratulations to Super Mike on the win.
By the way, JIM has said nothing - Slim is not Jim.

Jim never claimed to have invented the trick... just like no one else claimed they invented a NW, a card control, a prepared razor effect...etc....

Seems people are eager to attack Jim - when I am still waiting to see what he did on TV was any different from the other performers' claims etc. The only difference is Criss decided to challenge JC and no one else... and JC responded.

Seems the A-Z team and others certainly enjoy attacking based on information never actually seen... while CA's behaviours and comments were seen on TV.

So, let everyone take a stress pill and relax....

Daisy... Daisy...
All of the people on the Phenomenon show are to be congratulated and each did the best possible they could under difficult and changing circumstances and rules.

Did it occur to anyone that in many ways this was a contest for who came across camera best. In many ways a beauty contest. The youngest and prettiest tended to come out on top. Not to take away from the winners in any way. The did the job and did it well.

Wayne Hoffmann though young came across as too brash and cocky, which does not fly with middle America and did not come across the tubes very well.

I also felt for Jim Callahan to get a second shot on national TV, and with his image, to do a rope trick (?) was a waste of a good chance to help cement the image he has worked so hard to accomplish.

I think CA got nervous when Uri Geller started talking about dates of birth etc., and feared Uri might somehow spurt out 9-11, got shaken and brashly cut him off.

Angela did fabulous in an event where many were twice her age with some surely being in the business some 5 to 10 times the number of years she has been performing.

I think and hope this show will help all the contestants.

Dick Brooks
Message: Posted by: Christopher Caldwell (Nov 22, 2007 07:25PM)
[quote]
On 2007-11-22 08:42, DMG wrote:
Its funny how people see and infer what they WANT to see. Isn;t it?
[/quote]

Not funny, haha. But IMHO very interesting. It's one of the reasons why Uri became a star. it's a great secret in mentalism.
[quote]
On 2007-11-22 12:31, truthteller wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-11-22 00:49, johnjnesbit wrote:

John
[/quote]
Unless you've made up your own definition of the word 'effect' it was the same. More so, the presentation was almost identical to that Harry Allen of Daytona magic used to demonstrate the effect back in the late 80's, early 90's: Hold the rope to your side, show it's not really going through, repeat but this time bring it to the middle of the body, run it up and down a couple of times, pull it out again. His patter was the difference between magic and illusion.

So, John,. the effect was identical. If Jim's method is different then it can be replicated EXACTLY by the Stewart method. Ar you sure you remember the Stewart method correctly?
[/quote]

I wonder why you are so quick to expose this effect that Jim did and not the Flying card of Ehud or any of the other Marketed tricks that the others did?
Not interested in exposing it at all. Someone claimed it was original to Jim. That impacts the published record. If he is doing something different, that should be established. But if he isn't, then that statement needs to be corrected.
I am the one who said that rope effect was original with Jim.

I reconfirmed the history of the effect with Jim Callahan yesterday while sharing Thanksgiving Dinner with his family.

Indeed, Callahan created the effect many, many years ago. He was showing the trick around and selling them for $20 a pop to interested magicians. The effect was gaining in popularity so Jim sold the manufacturing rights to Jeff Stewart. Callahan dropped out of contact with magicians for nearly 20 years at that point for personal reasons. During that same period, Jeff made a deal with Meir Yedid to market the effect.

Callahan later saw one of the package products and contacted Meir. Meir said, "I remember Jeff telling me about that but we didn't know what had happened to you."...or words to that effect. Jim really didn't care about that issue so much but he did want to tell Meir that he felt the effect (though easy to construct) was worth FAR more than $5.

So, there you go. Now you know.

Best,
Mick
The effect could have been done better, even with Jeff's original rope through body. But, the improvement of being able to be held as a long, straight piece of rope is described in the thread provided below, with a video link in these posts.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=68381&forum=9

Once you've seen this done by Paul Nathan or me, you'll realize how badly done it was on the finale. If Jim Callahan came up with his own version of this, it was a regression of where this concept has gone.

My version's gimmick adds many improvements, one being a repeatable "Hang 'em High" move that is much more visual than Sheets' version and requires no preset or reset.

Also, the rope can be held by an end, displaying the whole length of the rope. The rope can be held completely slack, throughout the rope, unlike the earlier version that I sold Paul Nathan.

Before Brad blasts me, I'll clarify that my version is an obvious evolution of the original Jeff Stewart version, but it looks to be more similar to what Jim Callahan did than the Jeff Stewart version, although what Jim did could almost be done solely with the Stewart version.

I don't recall ever seeing Stewart's version before coming up with mine in 1989, but I'll admit that his was pre-existing. The difference is that mine uses more gimmicks, two different possibilities, and my flipstick moves are not part of the original Stewart version, as I understand.

I would publish a pdf for sale if I were to see that there were enough of a demand. I would never manufacture these, but I'd be happy to publish the instructions for purchasers to make these easily on their own.

Jimmy Fingers
Mick - thanks for the clarification on the rope effect.

Jimmy's version looks sweet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pLjiplc4KPw

I wonder if it can be slowed down a bit with less twirling around and still catch people by suprise?

I knew something good would come out of "Phenomenon."

Terry
Thanks Mick, That's an interesting and important piece of information which should be more well known. Not everyone cares about those sorts of things, but for those of us who do - thanks for getting that out there.

And Jimmy, there's no blasting. When people offer genuine variations which are improvements (not just steps sidewise) and do so in an ethical manner (with crediting and permission) then no one is to be blasted.
Let me get this straight..Jim Callahan invented this effect and sold the manufacturing rights to someone else...They make a marketing deal with another party...and now Jimmy is selling it...Is that right?
Love the video :)
Please read my post carefully. I was not aware of Jeff Stewart's version, (or Jim's, or whoever it's credited to).

My gimmick is different from what Jeff Stewart's is being sold with. My handling is WAAAY different and more advanced than the sight gag that is Jeff Stewart's.

Jeff Stewart's was often done as a joke or a throw away. Mine has been refined and advanced through a more complex gimmick and subtleties changed from the Jeff Stewart gimmick. Mine can be shown slack. However, this subtlety was not available when I sold one to Paul back in the very early 90's.

Although the Nathan performance on 30-seconds to fame was excellent, there were several aspects that were not exhibited correctly in that clip.

Paul did not sell the pass through fully, and his handling was sloppy on the initial pull through.

Also, he did not show the rope slack during that routine, simply because it was not available that way, until recently.

When I did this for David Copperfield, he made me do it 3 times in a row. He didn't understand how it worked. I gave him one. At the time, I had two people hold the ends of the rope , and pulled them taut.

There are a lot of advancements that are available with my version that are not part of the Stewart/Callahan/Yedid versions.

I'm not selling anyone else's effect. I never saw the other, and mine is different.

It appears that Jim's went back and added attachments that are more of an attribute of MINE, ironically. I would be curious to find out if his changed after seeing mine done by Paul.

Just curious,

Jimmy
Jimmy ...perhaps you should re-think your position here. I just spoke with Jim and mentioned your posts. He was welll...not too happy with them. He is still on Holiday and will be home in a few days.
This is an effect that he invented YEARS ago and there are many to verify that. His effect has NO attachments, so I guess him stealing your idea is OUT. He made it up in his hotel room in three minutes just prior to rehearsals and although almost completly surrounded on National TV no one in the studio caught on...Not even Mike Super!
Jim has a DVD of the effect that hit's the market on December 3rd. He explains the gimick and the Psychology behind the effect as well as all the variations.
He would be wise to make sure the history of the idea is known. The Stewart version has assured its space in the public record. Of course, the proper creator should be given his due. I would encourage you, to encourage him, to make sure this lineage is established. It will save him a lot of grief in the long run.

Just a friendly suggestion.

Brad

p.s. fooling Mike Super is probably not the best endorsement one should hope for.
[quote]
On 2007-11-23 17:41, Slim King wrote:
This is an effect that he invented YEARS ago and there are many to verify that. His effect has NO attachments, so I guess him stealing your idea is OUT. He made it up in his hotel room in three minutes just prior to rehearsals and although almost completly surrounded on National TV no one in the studio caught on...Not even Mike Super!
Jim has a DVD of the effect that hit's the market on December 3rd. He explains the gimick and the Psychology behind the effect as well as all the variations.
[/quote]Why would someone with supernatural abilities need a gimmicked magic trick to perform on national television? Same reason 'God' needed a starship?
[quote]
On 2007-11-23 18:12, truthteller wrote:
He would be wise to make sure the history of the idea is known. The Stewart version has assured its space in the public record. Of course, the proper creator should be given his due. I would encourage you, to encourage him, to make sure this lineage is established. It will save him a lot of grief in the long run.

Just a friendly suggestion.

Brad

p.s. fooling Mike Super is probably not the best endorsement one should hope for.
[/quote]

I like Mike Super..After Jim was gone I told Sherri he'd win.
I don't think Jim will have any problem showing he's the inventor, but with everyone getting on the "Paranormalist" band wagon I guess he'd better cover his @ss since you seem to be guilty until proven innocent around here :)..LOL

Jim did a magic trick of his own making...The folks at Phenomenon said it was OK...The viewers LIKE magic tricks :)
[quote]
On 2007-11-23 18:27, Randwill wrote:
[/quote]
Why would someone with supernatural abilities need a gimmicked magic trick to perform on national television? Same reason 'God' needed a starship?
[/quote]

If I may help out some clarification surrounding the concerns continually arising from these questions.
From another thread on the Penny For Your Thoughts forum regarding the "Rope Trick".
[quote]
On 2007-11-23 18:46, sibbie wrote:
I think it was funny. Way to go Jim.

As far as him claiming to be "real" again, take a look at Eugene Burger's written work and read some of the things he has to say about theatrical performances and what the audience should take from it.
[/quote]
Then, thankfully, mine is completely different. I guess that anyone watching the clip of Paul's performance will be instantly aware of which direction that they will want to go with this effect.

Jim has no reason to be angry. Especially if he sold the rights to Jeff Stewart. Jeff Stewart has never expressed any irritatation with my version. I would say that Jim no longer has a horse in this race, but I don't know enough about his agreements with Jeff and Meir.

Jimmy
Slim,

I think you are being overly sensitive. Jim performed a trick which has been established for years in the marketplace. Nothing wrong with that at all. Since its release it has been attributed to Stewart and there as never been any person who has called that attribution into question. Performing a marketed trick on television is a perfectly fine choice.

But Mick informed us that the trick was original to Jim. This flies in the face of an accepted attribution that has been in place since the late 80's. To call that statement into question was not only the right thing to do, but the responsible one.

But my statement remains true: the very trick performed by Jim was marketed by Meir Yedid and was credited to Stewart. (Something John denied. The tricks were identical.) If Jim invented it, then that record needs to be changed. No convictions - just statements of facts.
Brad
Oh, as an aaide - I found some secret footage of how the performers were handled behind the scenes to get them to alter their acts for TV. Oh, if you are wondering who the decayed devil-priest mummified corpse is, one guess! (He doesn't want anyone to say his age on TV, you see, so he keeps transforming to C**** A**** the Ever-Living! (So long as he keeps earning for the Machine))

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=aDHq2UiJ_AM&feature=related
Jim told me that Stewart had "Manufacturing Rights" and at no time did he (Stewart) ever claim to have invented the effect. Meir verified it later...But it's not my battle...I was just amused with the presentation :)
Hope Jim sells a lot of DVD's :)
Zip
I was running my monthly ad on Craig's List and Look what I came across>:

Mentalist Ehud Segev from NBC will amaze YOUR guests!
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/evs/487357233.html

I see how he cleverly omits the fact he was one of the first voted off. I think He should play up being runner-up in The Successor. "Runner-Up on the Hit TV Show with Uri Geller!" or something got that nature...

Best of Luck to Ehud!
They all need a little more than those actors wages :)
Is the Rope trick the same on Max Holden used in his Anneman act? I've not seen this episode yet...Bit of a long shot.
[quote]
On 2007-11-24 13:20, Slim King wrote:
[/quote]

Were they all little more than actors?
[quote]
On 2007-11-24 17:06, magic4545 wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-11-24 13:20, Slim King wrote:
[/quote]

Were they all little more than actors?
[/quote]

Got Me!
The soap continues.....are you ready?
Jimmy,

Let me know when you publish yours -- looks great and I would love to get it!!!

Robert Sixx
If I were to publish the Rope-u-tation, I would be giving contruction specifics, construction variations and historical advancements, links to hidden youtube video clips, performance variations and other subtleties from acts like Jay Alexander and Maritess. Each of them have been using my version for way over a decade, and they have guarded it with their lives for the whole time. Paul Nathan is pretty possessive about it, as well. If you ask him where he got it, he'll tell you it's not available, with no specifics. And, frankly, at the time that he told people that, it was actually true.

Everyone jumps on the Bob Sheets "Hang 'em High" bandwagon, without even knowing about the extended version that combines that effect with the Stewart/Yedid/Callahan version seen in my old videos and Paul's performance. And when they see it, they just don't know what to make of it. Once someone makes up their mind that Hang 'em High is the only version, there's no way to get through to them. That's just that, and there's no changing it.

A funny story about this. Jay was working the Fruitopia tour the year before I did, and using my rope routine and gimmick. When I came to the tour the following year, the director of the performances told me that I 'stole' the idea from Jay. Obviously, he was not aware of how things work in the magic world. How rarely the originator gets the glory for ideas and effects.

And, to Jim... I didn't realize that the Stewart/Yedid product was your own invention, or I wouldn't have been so harsh in my critique of your handling. If this is your baby, you deserve more respect than that. From a parallel thinker. I feel that it's brilliant stuff. Sorry about the overly honest and blunt evaluation. At this time, I'm sure that you're feeling confused enough about your part in all of this without me piling on.

With respect,

Jimmy Fingers
I just found an old clip (1992) of me performing Rope Through Body.
(Jeff Stewart's form Meir Yedid) I like Jimmy's much better!

Here is a link:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=22793408
I was given 30 seconds to do the effect.

The presentation came in at 27 seconds.

It had to have no angle problems for it might be shot from any side at any time.
(Also as per the rules of the show it was to be your own creation/work)

The reason for using it was to show a different side of myself.
Something lighter than I was brought on the show to be.

I considered doing my water hesitation pour.
Water poured from one drinking glass to another stops and hovers in the air halfway to the second glass.

It then continues on it's journey.
The effect happens several times as the water pours from one glass to the other.

However it is not as fun as the rope trick and does not allow for the playing about the rope penetration does.

Also because the water just stops for a few seconds and undulates in the air I thought people would suspect a camera trick because it looks like a live computer graphics effect.

I created it after seeing the Abyss.

Jim
That does sound very cool!
Jim... can you publish some of your magic creations? I love elemental forces! Make it a limited release... couldja?
All three of Jim's effects seemed original to Jim...Unlike ALL of the other contestants..With storebought stuff :)
Unless I missed something....?
They were and are my own work.

The contract said it was to be your own creation and or effects.

The mental force effect was brand new.

Gerry and Jim Karol suggested I use a dead person for the effect with Shandy to stay within my World of the Dead.

I asked for the first dead guy that came to mind and Gerry said ELVIS.
(This was one hour before show time.)

I added some ideas I use to up the hit rate.
It had to be between 95% to 97% that night.

Jim
I originally bought the rights to sell a bunch of “Rope-U-tations” from Jimmy Fingers 10-12 years ago. It was the most visual, funny rope routine I had ever seen. I sold them around San Francisco and Paul bought one. At the time, Paul and I were competing in the same market and had the same problem Jimmy had on the Fruitopia tour. Agents who saw Paul do it first thought I stole from him and vice versa. A good lesson in why you should do original material. My character has changed and it was removed from my act years ago but it is a routine I miss doing.

Here is a video from one of my last performances with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t26X--9ewx4

Enjoy,

Jay Alexander
[quote]
Here is a video from one of my last performances with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t26X--9ewx4

Enjoy,
[/quote]

That's the first performance of that trick I've ever seen that I actually liked.
Thanks Xpilot.

Jay
I don't know if I still have any footage of mine. Mine is pretty close to Jay's, except for my different jokes, and when I do the initial passthrough, my hands don't come as close together as Paul's and Jay's.

I like Jay's best of all that I've seen. I'd never seen that, I really enjoyed it. Paul's was a little bit spastic for my taste (Okay, maybe that's just Paul!)Jay and I've known each other since the 70's, and you won't meet a cooler guy!

Listen to the audience response on Jay's performance. Look at everything that you're depriving the audience of when you use the best selling, preset version that just allows for a single passthrough, and nothing else.

Jay actually came to one of my house party shows in Houston about a year or two ago. It was fun to perform this and some other effects that we both do, and to see it through his eyes. He came up with lots of input and positive criticism, and was always dead-on.

I am never more excited to show a new concept like Choppo or Magellan Witch Levitation than when I show Jay. I know that I'll get a really great response and ideas.

Jimmy Fingers
[quote]
On 2007-11-25 12:17, magic4545 wrote:
If I were to publish the Rope-u-tation, I would be giving contruction specifics, construction variations and historical advancements, links to hidden youtube video clips, performance variations and other subtleties from acts like Jay Alexander and Maritess. Each of them have been using my version for way over a decade, and they have guarded it with their lives for the whole time. Paul Nathan is pretty possessive about it, as well. If you ask him where he got it, he'll tell you it's not available, with no specifics. And, frankly, at the time that he told people that, it was actually true.
[/quote]

Paul Nathan may be possessive of his rope trick, but he has no problem exposing card magic sleights of professional magicians:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=257312&forum=2#0
[quote]
On 2007-11-26 14:09, Jim-Callahan wrote:
They were and are my own work.

The contract said it was to be your own creation and or effects.

The mental force effect was brand new.

Gerry and Jim Karol suggested I use a dead person for the effect with Shandy to stay within my World of the Dead.

I asked for the first dead guy that came to mind and Gerry said ELVIS.
(This was one hour before show time.)

I added some ideas I use to up the hit rate.
It had to be between 95% to 97% that night.

Jim
[/quote]

Funny, Gerry talks about my dead brother in emails... But that's another story...
But does your dead brother talk still?

I think he does judging from your post.

Just my opinion of course.
We all have an impact even after we leave this time line.

Best Wishes,

Jim
We all are 13.7 billion years old, and just released into this plane for a short while before returning to the fabric of this visible universe....

Yes to the still talks, but GM's comments were about worms eating through my dead brothers body in the grave.... A completely different story altogether...
I understand and remember you posting about that.

-Jim
[quote]
On 2008-05-07 19:20, Jim-Callahan wrote:
I understand and remember you posting about that.

-Jim
[/quote]

And he just invited me to his friends on Facebook... lol

Declined...
[quote]
On 2008-05-08 08:34, RileyG wrote:
And he just invited me to his friends on Facebook... lol

Declined...
[/quote]

Or someone claiming to be him on Facebook... You see, unlike GM, I can correct a wrong doing that I may have made... It takes a real Man or Woman to do that...

I write this as that profile claiming to be his on Facebook seems to have been changed (name), and taken down...
[quote]
Or someone claiming to be him on Facebook... You see, unlike GM, I can correct a wrong doing that I may have made... It takes a real Man or Woman to do that...

I write this as that profile claiming to be his on Facebook seems to have been changed (name), and taken down...
[/quote]

Correction two... It was GM sending me a facebook request to which I declined... GM deleted his page and now started a fan page...
Rope-u-tation is now available!

Jimmy Fingers
[quote]
On 2012-02-02 21:11, magic4545 wrote:
Rope-u-tation is now available!

Jimmy Fingers
[/quote]

Looks interesting..
Any reviews?