(Close Window)
Topic: "Into The Abyss" by Oz Pearlman
I'm guessing the "abyss" of the title refers to the hole left in a piece of paper after the middle has been ripped out. Wink. Wink.

On [b]Into The Abyss[/b], Oz Pearlman demonstrates and explains three effects:

1)"Listen to my Words"- The mentalist plays a recording correctly predicting a name thought of by the spectator.

2)"Ultimate Vacation"- The mentalist produces an envelope stapled on all four sides which contains details of a vacation the spectator took.

3)"What's in a Name?"- The mentalist provides details of a person the spectator is thinking of and that person's name is revealed to be contained in a sealed prediction held by another spectator.

"Listen to my Words" presents a nice change of pace on a reveal. "Ultimate Vacation" is my favorite effect on the DVD as it seems impossible for the spectator's info to be contained in an envelope stapled on all four sides. "What's in a Name?" is the second strongest effect and incorporates some mild cold reading. The prediction can be revealed from a wallet or from removing a paper clip which has been holding it closed throughout.

The effects themselves owe a lot to Richard Osterlind's PCT. Mr. Pearlman says you can use any favorite method for obtaining secret info but this is the only one he uses on the disc. He does not go into detail, referring the viewer to Richard Osterlind's [b]Mind Mysteries[/b] or PCT book. The alternative reveal for "What's in a Name" comes from Jay Sankey's [b]Paperclipped[/b].

The menu system on this DVD is awkward. You cannot hit "Play All" and watch every performance and explanation (at least not on my DVD player). You must select the effect you wish to view and then choose whether you want to watch the performance or explanation. Once you make this choice there are often sub-choices to be made. A "Play All" feature would have been more convenient especially if one would like to re-watch the disc listening to the commentary track which is provided for each segment.

There is a section called "Special Notes" in which Mr. Pearlman basically thanks everyone he forgot to thank elsewhere on the disc. As this segment fades out you may wish to watch how the expression on Mr. Pearlman's face abruptly changes. I thought this was hysterical. Then again, I'm weird.

The disc costs $35.

[quote]
On 2007-11-24 17:15, Mind Guerilla wrote:"Listen to my Words" presents a nice change of pace on a reveal.
[/quote]
At the risk of being presumptuous, I had a thought on how to possibly improve this reveal. I'm new to the Café so I'm not sure whether the DVD review thread is the appropriate place to talk about this. If it's not, mea culpa.

My thought was that instead of removing the tape recorder from his pocket, the mentalist could remove only the tape. This would depend on the machine used and how easy it is to surreptitiously remove the tape. The performer could then ask if anyone present has a tape player (I would avoid using the word "recorder"). Of course, this request would only make sense in certain settings, for example a corporate boardroom. If a spectator indeed has a tape machine, the mentalist might say something like, "I don't want you to think I'm using some tricky player." This will make it look like the performer has had no access to recording equipment. If no one has a machine, the mentalist could remove one from another pocket or make a big show of walking all the way across the room and getting one from his/her case.
Oz uses these effects in his paid shows ( he's a talented and busy Magician. I think he's from Michigan but lives in New York City now )
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Nov 24, 2007 06:31PM)
I heard he was actually born in Israel.
Hmm Im a little disappointed! I thought it was a new innovative method
Well, hold on. Folks are just receiveing this. Let's see what other reviews are like. People few things differently. Oz doesn't release things every ten minutes. He's slow to release and only what he uses in paid shows.
[quote]
On 2007-11-24 23:15, jordanjohnson wrote:
Hmm Im a little disappointed! I thought it was a new innovative method
[/quote]

Those ads do get our hopes up, don't they? I was actually relieved that the method didn't involve confederates.

With the right presentation these are all strong effects.
Hello,
Thanks for the review. If you're looking for a wild and innovative new method to obtain secret information, this is not going to satisfy you. These are worker routines that are tried and tested over thousands of performances. Literally, THOUSANDS of times by me over the past 4 years and change. Trust me, I would not still be doing these routines if they did not get huge reactions. They are devastating to lay audiences, and very direct. Most mentalism takes awhile to "get to the point", whereas these are designed specifically to do just that. The routines on INTO THE ABYSS aren't as likely to fool fast company, such as fellow magicians and mentalists. If that's your main intent, you will really enjoy Perfection (will fool magicians and lay audiences alike).

-Oz
Unfortunately, the advertising for this product was quite misleading. What you get on the DVD are three routines, well explained. However, the real work for the handling used in the performances is not explained. Rather we are referred to purchase another person's DVD for that. A much weaker alternate handling is described briefly, but is not used in any of the performances, and the effect would be much less powerful if it was. Quite simply, this is over-hyped and under-delivering 99% crap.
How well would these effects work in a restaurant environment?
[quote]
On 2007-11-25 09:40, junkdz wrote:
Unfortunately, the advertising for this product was quite misleading. What you get on the DVD are three routines, well explained. However, the real work for the handling used in the performances is not explained. Rather we are referred to purchase another person's DVD for that. A much weaker alternate handling is described briefly, but is not used in any of the performances, and the effect would be much less powerful if it was. Quite simply, this is over-hyped and under-delivering 99% crap.
[/quote]
Misleading advertising? I'm shocked! :) "Let the buyer beware." I'm not sure the ads for this product were any more misleading than your typical magic trick ads which tout a seemingly impossible miracle. I was concerned that the effects on [b]Into The Abyss[/b] would require the use of a confederate. I was relieved they don't. I certainly didn't expect the disc to teach me how to actually read minds. :)

I do have a problem with ads with outright lie. I recently purchased the MONA LISA 2 puzzle effect, for example. The ads claimed it utilized a unique method. It turns out that the method is one of the oldest tricks in the book.

Ads for magic effects have to walk the tightrope of a)creating interest in the product and b)not giving away the method. If [b]Into The Abyss[/b] had been advertised as "Three Exciting New Reveals for a Mentalism Classic" would more or less people be interested in purchasing it? I don't know the answer to this question.

If Mr. Pearlman did not receive permission to explain the PCT then his hands were tied. The question then becomes would this material have been better suited for a less expensive booklet instead of a DVD?

I think your "99% crap" assessment is way harsh. This DVD gives three powerful presentations for about 10 bucks each. If the disc had been more expensive, like Max Maven's [b]Nothing[/b], for example, or if it had been marketed as an intro to mentalism, I might be leaning more toward your opinion.

[quote]
On 2007-11-25 10:51, snm wrote:
How well would these effects work in a restaurant environment?
[/quote]
In the performance sections of the disc, Mr. Pearlman demonstrates the effects in a pub setting for what appears to be legitimate lay spectators (as opposed to something like an L&L audience).

[quote]
On 2007-11-25 11:15, Mind Guerilla wrote:
[In the performance sections of the disc, Mr. Pearlman demonstrates the effects in a pub setting for what appears to be legitimate lay spectators (as opposed to something like an L&L audience).
[/quote]
I just listened to the commentary track and Mr. Pearlman describes this as a corporate happy hour setting. He refers to the situation as more of a standup than strolling routine.

He is also shown performing to visitors in New York's Central Park.
[quote]
On 2007-11-25 11:11, Mind Guerilla wrote:

If Mr. Pearlman did not recieve permission to explain the PCT then his hands were tied. The question then becomes would this material have been better suited for a less expensive booklet instead of a DVD?

[/quote]

That's the whole problem ... without teaching the PCT, which is used in each of the routines, this DVD does not in fact teach anything. Without that, its just a set of ideas and presentation advice. If permission wasn't forthcoming, then the disk should never have been released.
Junkdz

I fully understand your idea and agree with you that a form of CT should have been explained.

However, I can tell you that's its not a first. I have many DVD and can tell you that often, performer don't explain all in their DVD. I think its a mistake but this DVD is not the first one to do this.

Devilix
If I already know and use a CT, would you recommend these DVDs? I really like the idea of each effect and how straight forward and direct they seem. I remember seeing Oz perform "Ultimate Vacation" back in March 2006 and blew me away. This was the one effect my family remembers the most out of everything performed that night.

Matt
[quote]
On 2007-11-25 17:32, Devilix wrote:
I fully understand your idea and agree with you that a form of CT should have been explained.
[/quote]
Mr. Pearlman does explain the classic CT on this disc but concedes that the technique is not useful for any of the effects because it can't be used to view the information immediately.

[quote]
On 2007-11-25 18:29, phase27 wrote:
If I already know and use a CT, would you recommend these DVDs? I really like the idea of each effect and how straight forward and direct they seem. I remember seeing Oz perform "Ultimate Vacation" back in March 2006 and blew me away. This was the one effect my family remembers the most out of everything performed that night.

Matt
[/quote]
It's sometimes difficult to recommend something because "One man's meat is another man's poison." I have described the DVD as containing three strong presentations. I was also tickled by "Ultimate Vacation." I can only hope that my review will assist in determining whether or not this disc is worth purchasing. If, for example someone is looking for a complete mentalism routine, this disc is not for them. Someone in your position, however, may think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Hmm...why do I keep talking about food?
I was never fond of Sliced Bread, but Hoagies..... [b]OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!![/b] I was looking for a little mentalism in my arsenal, I know a thing or too but cant say its my strong point. Like OZ is this good for me?
[quote]
On 2007-11-25 19:31, paisa23 wrote:
I was never fond of Sliced Bread, but Hoagies..... [b]OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!![/b] I was looking for a little mentalism in my arsenal, I know a thing or too but cant say its my strong point. Like OZ is this good for me?
[/quote]

You will need to know one of Richard Osterlind's techniques to use INTO THE ABYSS effectively. It can be found on Volume 1 of his MIND MYSTERIES DVDs.
Have all of those and love the watch routine. But to be honest if its the CT then I'm a little iffy with it, could I use Acidus Novus or the Outlaw wallet or anything like that? I honestly havent even seen a demo since I'm at work and cant view Windows Media, just going by this site.
Yes does it have to be CT or could it be any kind of peek because Im also not a big fan of CT
Is it a CT for "Ultimate Vacation"?
Arthur
Like the Ultimate Vacation reveal as a signed card to impossible location, as for the CT, I use Osterlind's and the newer one with a handle, those who know will understand.

Paisa 23, yes you could use Acidus Novas to gain the info, in fact I tried it that way and was pleased with the result. In presentation, I had the lady print a name on a blank card, fold it, print her own name on the outside, took it for a second to see if I could read her name, handed it back still folded told her to show others as I turned around, and went on with the routine.

Still prefer PCT as cleaner.
[quote]
On 2007-11-25 23:39, paisa23 wrote:
Have all of those and love the watch routine. But to be honest if its the CT then I'm a little iffy with it, could I use Acidus Novus or the Outlaw wallet or anything like that? [/quote]

You can use whatever CT or p**k you want, as long as it gets you the information on the spot a la Osterlind's PCT.
I have seen Oz perform these routines at different Fortune 500 Company events around the country (I was performing in the same room). These routines kick butt. I was sad to hear that he was publishing these routines because they are so strong, I didn't want too many people to get a hold of them. As far as the CT goes, there are a ton of ways to get the info from somebody. When I do strolling mentalism, I mix it up between 4 different methods that way no one catches on.
Its Amazing how words can burn a mans pockets. I don't even know what I just said. I am starting to see why the Wife hates the Café. LOL Just Kidding, thinking about getting this.
Hello,
I want to be as up front as possible with what is and is not taught on this DVD. The 3 powerful routines on this DVD require virtually no sleight of hand. There is no new or ground-breaking method to obtain secret information; no new impression pads, muscle reading, peeks, etc. I teach a basic CT on the DVD, and also highly recommend learning Osterlind's PCT. I would love to have included it, but this is one of Richard's signature items and I respect that. You do not need to know the PCT, however it is my personal preferred method and worth every penny (and then some!). If you have any method that you prefer, be it a peek wallet, impression pad, billet peek, etc. by all means use it. I hope this clarifies some of the questions people have had.

Regards,
Oz
Thanks Oz for the answer. If you teach the basic Pt, then you did your job.

Devilix
[quote]
On 2007-11-24 19:31, THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) wrote:
I heard he was actually born in Israel.
[/quote]

He was born in Israel and moved to the states when he was 12-13 I think. A few friends of mine have attended his lectures in Israel. Oz is actually a fairly popular name in Israel
Geeze-are people believing in real mind reading again?
Come on, it's all about the p**ks and tears....
[quote]
[/quote]

I have to pipe in here. I think it is great that OZ wouldnt give everything away. I hate when DVD's do give you everything. It makes you a clone!!!

On another point. If you don't know how to obtain information in real time then why are you even buying this DVD in the first place, or any mentalism DVD for that matter? Learn the basics and then go from there. That is my 2 cents.

Nate
[quote]
On 2007-11-26 23:18, chichi711 wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I have to pipe in here. I think it is great that OZ wouldnt give everything away. I hate when DVD's do give you everything. It makes you a clone!!!

On another point. If you don't know how to obtain information in real time then why are you even buying this DVD in the first place, or any mentalism DVD for that matter? Learn the basics and then go from there. That is my 2 cents.

Nate
[/quote]

I agree with you as well. Although I would like the tape recorder and the nifty little wallet. ;) ;) ;)
Hello,
Somebody asked a good question about what you would need to buy to perform the routines on [b]Into The Abyss[/b]. For Ultimate Vacation, you need nothing more than common office supply items, which if you don't already have (and most people probably do, stapler, index cards), will cost you under $10 for over 100 performances. For Listen to my Words, you'll need to invest about $20 into a microcassette recorder, available at Staples, Office Depot, etc. And for What's in a Name? you can do it with or without a Hip Pocket Mullica wallet. I explain a method that uses nothing more than a small notepad, a pen, business cards, and a paperclip. I know that before I buy a magic DVD, I like to know what I'm getting; and aside from flat out revealing the effects I'm happy to field any questions.

Regards,
Oz
Oz man you are doing great with coming on and not letting people get blind sided about your product. If there is anything I hate is when you are not forewarned about things like that. For example effects that require major alterations to clothing and or shoes. [b]I don't even know what a flux capasiter or space modulater are. :rotf: [/b]

That is truly respectable. I know that penguin has gotten some slack in the past but your one of the reasons that keeps them going. I love truth and confidence in a product. I will try to place my order in today.

Hey side note, if no Mullica, can a Real Mans Wallet(NO JOKE, THE PRODUCT) work? And if not a tape recorder, how about an audio message on your Cell phone? Maybe even turned into a ringtone?
Anyone that's ever PM'd or e-mailed Oz knows he's a classy guy that loves to help!!
Message: Posted by: Alysson Nishiyama (Nov 27, 2007 08:27PM)
Can I perform the all 3 routines effectively with only PCT technique??
[quote]
On 2007-11-27 12:19, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Anyone that's ever PM'd or e-mailed Oz knows he's a classy guy that loves to help!!
[/quote]

I totally agree. I was the one who PMed him about what else I would need to perform his routines. I hate having to run to Office Depot - the mentalist's magic shop - at the last minute. He promptly answered me and now has shared the answer with the Café. That's class.
Ok so if a CT is all that is needed and I don't feel the most confident with my PCT, how about think pink? I have been looking for a reason to get this, but because of my lack of confidence with the PCT I never really understood what Think Pink would bring to the table.
I received the DVD and I like it very much. No I like it more than very much. I enjoyed the performance segments, live, with different real audiences. It was enlightening to see the mixed reactions. This is material you will use. I know I will. I found myself going back to watch the performance segments several times to learn the timing and bits of business. Excellent !!

It's true that the PCT is not explained, but Oz references Osterlind's Mind Mysteries DVD where it is explained in detail.-- NOTE ---
---- when I viewed the Mind Mysteries DVD, Osterlind stated that the PCT is one of two of his pet creations which he is very proud of. I respect Oz for respecting
Richard Osterlind's creation by NOT including it. Getting the Mind Mystery DVD is well worth it, if you don't have it, get it. Some nice gems found there.

I'm very pleased with this DVD. I'm off to buy some index cards and staples, oh and a mini recorder too.
Are we talking about Inside The Fold in Richard's MM Vol. 5?
[quote]
On 2007-11-28 11:05, evolve629 wrote:
[/quote]

No, the PCT in Vol. 1.
[quote]
On 2007-11-28 11:08, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-11-28 11:05, evolve629 wrote:
[/quote]

No, the PCT in Vol. 1.
[/quote]
Thank you, Mind Guerrilla! (How can I not remember this volume with the Bank Night in it!) :)
Is it PC to mention PCT in a thread about PC's?
Well I more or less agree with many of the comments concerning this DVD but I do have a few opposing thoughts as well.

First of all to touch on the most "controversial" point I do think it should be made more clear that a CT is the basis and at the heart of these routines. I think the description of the DVD could be considered misleading to someone just getting into mentalism or simply someone who assumed these were totally self contained. The bottom line is that to do these properly you need knowledge not presented on the DVD. While that might be fair (many other DVDs call for DL's or other basic techniques not taught on the actual DVD) I think it should be made more obvious in the description. I can easily see why people might be disappointed by this.

The routines themselves are strong with some good ideas. If you can do a good CT then you can perform these effects, however most people who do a great CT probably have similar routines they are already using. Nonetheless I would rate the actual routines highly.

I think the production values are lacking a bit as compared to the better DVDs being released these days. The DVD menus are nice and work well but the actual footage, both the performance and instructional sections could be better. The outdoor performances are fine, no issues but the indoor footage (which is most of the performance material) is technically not very good. Poor color balance and iffy audio. Now I understand that these are real world performances, not set ups in a studio or someplace, but it is simply not difficult to color balance a camera. A better quality microphone would also help a lot. These looks exactly like amateur with a consumer camcorder set to "auto" stood in the back of a room and filmed the situation. This is likely exactly what did happen but for a commercially released product it simply could be better. The instructional segments are filmed in a studio so they are better, however I found some things annoying like the massive color balance and exposure changes as they cut from one camera to the next. Now again, these are technical issues and have no bearing at all on the actual material or teaching but they are things that I (and I am sure) others notice. In todays world where it is so easy to have access to great video editing and quality equipment is cheap I would like to see higher production values.

So in the end I have mixed feelings. By no means am I saying this is a poor product but people need to go in with eyes open. The actual material and routines are strong but the final product could use more polish and you need to know and be able to perform a great CT or these routines won't do you much good.
So far, I only saw five minutes of the DVD, but I was very impressed.

“What’s In a Name” reminds me little bit of “A Perfect Prediction,” but it’s certainly different enough…and I like it!!

Oz is an excellent performer and, in those five minutes, I noted all sorts of nice touches that come from real experience.

It’s really great to watch Oz doing mentalism, and I enjoyed his performances (at least the five minutes I saw) as much as I enjoy watching some of the top names in the business.

I also respect that Oz did not teach Richard’s tear. Some others would have just ripped it off (pun intended :) )
I must add that I agre it is good that Oz did NOT rip off Osterlind's CT and teach it. THAT would of been very unethical, however I do think it could somehow be made more clear in the description that a CT is required to do these well.

This DVD could almost be sold as a companion to the Osterlind DVD, maybe Penguin should market them as a set as well as individually?
Hey teevtee,
I really appreciate the feedback. A number of the items you mentioned I was already well aware of (complaints of my own in some cases), and others not as much. Audio issues when performing in the "real world" are harder to deal with than you would think, especially wearing a mic vs. not wearing one (to avoid interference if wireless, and a wired mic is a disaster waiting to happen). With the exception of one day of "street" performances shot in Central Park, the rest of the performances were shot at "real shows". Not street footage, but in corporate settings (offices, happy hours, and events) with actual people that I am meeting for the first time.

I was surprised that you didn't reference the Audio Commentary as I think it added tremendous value to the DVD. Aside from the entertainment value and witty banter, I think it's very helpful to hear real-time insights of why I'm doing what I do and handling certain situations. There is commentary for each of the 10 performances.

Regards,
Oz

PS. If you want to spend less to learn the PCT; Osterind offers an eBook on his website teaching it. You DO NOT need a PCT, any method will work (so Think Pink is fine).
Thank's Oz, and all. The convincer for me to order this was the audio commentary on the performances.

Tony
Hi Oz:

I am sorry that I forgot to mention the audio commentary... YES, that is a GREAT feature. I found that to be fairly innovative as few magic DVDs employ this (another nice example is Nothing by Max Maven whose commentary is great). So absolutely I appreciate that.

I am happy that you are taking my comments in the spirit they are intended, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. As more and more DVDs get released and some companies really up the ante in the production dept. I think everyone must keep pace. Your material is great so I hate to see it knocked down by the production values.

Now for everyone else who has NOT seen the DVD let me assure you that this is still a fine DVD, I don't want to give the impression that it is some cheaply done thing, it is perfectly serviceable and you WILL learn what you need to learn. It just could be polished more and perhaps edited more tightly (for example Oz, on the instructional section of Ultimate Vacation you start off by telling us what we need to prepare the props, then go over some of that same info (get a stapler, index cards etc.) when you get to the actual instructions. This is a super small thing but it seems repetetive and could have been cut.

I know that other methods can be used instead of the CT but the CT is what Oz is using in the performances and is really the best method for these effects and that is why I mention it. These are not really stand alone effects as you do need some know how not taught here.

ANYWAY, I do like the routines and I would recommend the DVD to those interested as long as they understand what they need to know. I also greatly appreciate Oz having such open communication with consumers and admire his professionalism, I wish him a lot of luck in the future.
I am familiar with Oz's work and his thinking. Knowing that he has added additional thoughts and commentary on the routines and breaks down his thought process of the performance provides additional interest for me.

Tony
I understand what Tony meant. Doc Eason's re-release of Rocky Mountain Magic in DVD had audio commentary by Doc and it made the DVD. Audio commentary by a creator
can give valuable insight into the thinking and routining behind an effect after a performance.
I found nothing sarcastic about the commentary comment at all. MANY DVDs (talking mainstream) are worth owning SOLEY because of the commentary, why would magic DVDs be any different?

I give Oz credit for adding commentary and I hope we see a lot more of this type of thing in the future, it adds tremendous value.
I still have yet to receive mine, but quite frankly, my concern is the lack of not so much info, but completeness in the trailer, either the teaser or the real one. On many DVDs that I have, the performance is complete, as is the demo or trailer from where I bought it.

In this case, it appears as though there is conversation and a reveal. Nowhere, in any of the teaser or real trailer is there anyone tearing or writing (except Oz in one teaser I think, but if memory serves, it is before any spectator reveals info). Point is, the performance of the routines in the trailer and teaser (the ads, if you will) were misleading about the performance.

I (pre) ordered this based on, "wow, looks like no writing for peeks and stuff" Now to find out it is PCT and neat routines makes me upset as I was misled. I'm sure the disc has a lot of good info on it (I've not received mine yet), but I'm not happy about being misled like that. No, I'm not asking to have the trailer tell me how it is done, and of course ads are meant to sell, but that's like having an ad for a new type of stove with an ad showing it uses no gas or electricity, and you get the disc and it shows you campfire cooking techniques.

There should have been a more complete performance on the trailer - I'm sure it was purposely omitted because magii would immediately infer CT work, and I'd like to think that if it were my product I'd be more complete in the performance trailer, but if the real value here is great routining and reveal and audience engagement, then there should have been no reason to omit at least one complete performance in the trailer (rather than the chopped up clips) other than to mislead to get us to buy thinking it is something way more than it is.

Bottom line: should have had a complete demo of (at least) one routine on the trailer and let it sell on it's own merits. (see Heiny 500 for a great example of the RIGHT way to do it) But, caveat emptor. I hope the routines performance info on there are worth the $$
Having watched the disc I can honestly say the DVD is worth the cost. As already stated, the three routines are great. It is true you need to have some other skills in order to do them, but that at least to me is not such a big issue. My biggest complaint is that the menus are hard to navigate. In fact, they annoyed me so much I had to break up the viewing into multiple sessions instead of watching it straight through (the first time) as I usually do.
Daver:

I agree with some of your points and that was part of my motivation to make my earlier comments (see above). I think the demo could at least show someone writing down something, then maybe another clip of Oz tearing a slip ofd paper. Now I would not want to give away the secrets but in the case of this video you are really buying a routine, not a method as much, and because of this I feel more forthright descriptions of what skills are required and NOT taught would have been nice and appreciated.

With that said I think it is obvious that the magician finds out the info somehow, it is not real mind reading and so we must assume some method is present to extract this info... unfortunately the chosen method in this case is not taught.

Again (not to be a broken record) I do like the DVD and I think it is worth it if you know the PCT and are proficient with it. If not I would recommend keeping the DVD sealed and returning it to Penguin for an exchange.
Daver-If oz could really look someone in the eyes and tell them the name they were thinking of, I don't think he'd be selling the secret to you for $35. He would be all over TV and a millionaire.

Sorry to be blunt, but you gotta think like a magician sometimes.
Tian_ci,

I agree completely. My point really is not that I believe anyone can really reach into someone's mind, but the feeling that was portrayed in the teaser and trailer was that this was new methods. THAT is where my upset is. It implied that this is new groundbreaking stuff, which says new methods. I'm not saying it should have said "take your favorite p**k or CT and this is some great presentations around that", but if there was *real* presentation in the trailer, we'd have had a better idea that we were buying presentation/routining education. As it stands, it implied we are getting new methods, which is deceiving.

This is a fine line to walk, because how many less would be sold if it were that obvious? But how many of us feel misled (at best) thinking there was some new groundbreaking methodology?

As a seller? I can't said that I'd do it differently than Oz did. I'd like to think I would, but I can't say for sure. As a customer, I feel somewhat betrayed. Again, a fine line to walk. As the customer in this case though, I'd like to feel that I know what I'm buying before I bought it. Sure, caveat emptor, and I did hesitate a number of times to wait till the reviews were in, and figured that with the bonus Blindsided, heck; $35 ain't that much to blow, and I did indeed hope there was something revolutionary in there, so I can only blame me for not waiting, but I do feel duped, at least a little. :hmm:
Just viewed this DVD and Oz's other DVD, Perfection. Regardless of the CT debate, both of these DVDs are highly recommended. The routines are fantastic.
Ill be honest. I DID NOT learn anything new here effect wise at all. WHAT I did learn however and to me made the dvd worth more that the cost was the persoanl touches and finess in the routines. Some Grand touches that will make any pct routine amazing. I reccomend looking this one over. As oz would say "Highly reccomended"

Alan
[quote]
On 2007-11-29 20:35, tian_ci wrote:
[/quote]

Oh, come on. Be honest. Magician or no, don't we all, deep down, hold out the hope that real mind reading is possible and that someone could teach it to us? :)

That being said, I do take what I see in a trailer with a grain (if not a boulder) of salt. Once bitten, twice shy.
Most of the time when I see a DVD posted, I assume that I will already know the methods used/. I purchase the DVD's mostly for the creativity of the routines, new handlings, and new insights. Gregory Wilson in Pyrotechnic Pasteboards doesn't spend a whole lot of time teaching basics in the routines, and many things he completely leaves out, assuming the person watching has some handle on how to work with cards. People don't give him flack about it. I think Oz demonstrates some simple ways of gettin peaks and a simple centertear. It is enough.
I actually look for new methods, or how to do something I've not yet learned (different pass handlings, EB's billet switching variants, etc). I don't wanna try to be an Oz (or Greg, or Sankey, or whoever) clone. I'm looking for innovative methods or new handlings where I can create what I want to create. Routining tips are good, but I don't want to do what someone else does. I want to see about new ways of doing things.
I think the real issue is simply in the advertising. Some people want handlings, others want routines, some may want actual methods... if s product is advertised to be something and turns out to be something else it is not to say that it is not good, simply not what was advertised.
Daver, that is not to say I don't look for new methods, it's just that I've been in the business 27 years and am familiar with a lot of material. I wouldn't want to be a clone of anyone either. The routines I learn are then modified to fit my style, or I even change the entire storyline of the effect. Ex: Perfection by Oz. I took the idea and used NYC "tourist" card deck that has photos of all the NYC locations. After they shuffle, we deal down the cards and we take a "virtual" tour of the city at the same time (the photo's on their cards match mine). The suprise ending: one of their cards turns into a NYC subway metrocard.

Salaz
Salaz....

Great idea! Can I steal it?

Just kidding, but it is a good idea.
Teevee stated my sentiments exactly (and more succinctly ;-)
The online demo shows Oz looking into their eyes and announcing their thoughts. If that's not how he does it, then I'm not getting this.
Well I'm waiting for mine to come in. I expect nothing but good things and I really hope this thread doesn't get corrupted with B#$%hes and Gripes.
Teevee, Daver, thank you for the compliment of theft! I feel flattered. Feel free to use the routine to inspire your own and let me know what you come up with. I would love to hear what you do. I have seen Oz perform these effects for over a year now and never did them myself out of principle not to "Steal" his routines. Now that he has Published them, I decided to give the stapled envelope effect a try last night at my restaurant gig. It Freaked people out. One guy (who tipped me $150) began to cry. I didn't know what to do (don't worry, I took the money. I ofcourse changed the routine so it wasn't a vacation, but connected to meeting up with two childhood friends, hence the man began to tear from the memories.

Chris, I agree that you shouldn't get the DVD if it's not what you want. I hope no one gets it. I urged Oz all year NOT to publish these effects. I saw the kind of reactions he was getting and I didn't want every magician copying it and making it "ordinary". And I didn't want curiosity seekers to buy the DVD's see the explanations.
Paisa:

This is a review section and a review threat right? I don't really see any complaining or griping going on, just honest discussion and reviews.
[quote]
On 2007-11-30 17:26, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
The online demo shows Oz looking into their eyes and announcing their thoughts. If that's not how he does it, then I'm not getting this.
[/quote]

Well, some folks PM'd me thinking I was serious.

I love when they take the bait and go under the boat!!!
:rotf:
Fair enough.
Paisa:

I received an IM saying that you may have been referring to a post that had been removed which I did not see. If so please accept my apologies as I may have missed your true intent.
No worries brother, nothing but love from me.
Hey,
ksalaz1 is telling the truth as he constantly told me not to release this material. He may have been right, might have been a mistake; but at the end of the day if fellow performers are getting huge reactions with this material that makes me happy. However, I hope it is not in my target markets. :-P

-oz
Because of this forum, I am now working on some of the classic material in books before I acually get this. In fact, this christmass break is devoted to reading the classics. I want to be ready before I plunge into the abyss. I am more of a coin worker than a mentalist, so I understand the importance of knowing your foundation in the art. Thank you all for your advice, thank you Oz for being an open business man (I'm at UofM, go blue!), and I can't wait to pick up this DVD when I am finally ready for the Abyss! -DP
Go Blue! You can't go wrong with a copy of 13 Steps.

Regards,
Oz
You know what I lost my 13 Steps a while back. OZ how about making that book one of those "Freedom To Choose" at penguin? Just a thought.
Hi All,
Help me out a bit...
I have been doing the Osterlind Perfected Center Tear for a couple years and I consider it one of my strongest effects. Once, when I revealed a name to a girl, she backed into the corner of the room and kept saying, "That's so creepy, that's so creepy!" I was worried that the people in the adjoining room were thinking that I was flashing her! :-P
So, given the obvious strength of doing the Osterlind routine, what does "Into the Abyss" offer? Is it a variation of the same effect (different presentation)? How would it differ from doing the Osterlind PCT as taught on Osterlind's Mind Mysteries?
Thanks!
Bob L.
Blpprt
Well if I'm not mistaking the presentation on Osterlinds DVD was a basic revelation right. The Peek was the great part. It might depend on your actualy effect. How are you performing PCT that has people backing up to all wall? I think ITB(INTO THE ABYSS). Is a group of effects that ustilize the PCT or any Peek to get the information. I could be wrong though since I have not recieved it yet.
Bob:

If you are getting killer reactions from whatever PCT routine you are doing you frankly probably do not need Into the Abyss. This DVD has three routines that reply on the PTC. They have some good ideas for sure and so for example if you knew the PTC but were not using it for lack of an appropriate routine then this would be for you. However as I said if you have your own effective routine there is no need for this. There is no discussion of the actual PTC at all other then to say you should learn it.

If you are currently doing some very simple revelation you may find that you can extend your routine a little bit by using some of the ideas here.
Just on a side note, I think sean fields "north of the border" is my preferred center tear, as it works with business cards.
[quote]
On 2007-12-06 21:59, blpprt wrote:
So, given the obvious strength of doing the Osterlind routine, what does "Into the Abyss" offer? Is it a variation of the same effect (different presentation)? How would it differ from doing the Osterlind PCT as taught on Osterlind's Mind Mysteries?
Thanks!
Bob L.
[/quote]

It offers three strong reveals. Read my review (first message in this thread) for details.
I have been practicing the perfected center tear for a long time. I even purchased Richard's special pads for this. But, when I perform it, most of the time people are not that baffled. In 75% of the cases they tell me that I somehow must have read the paper.

That's why I am thrilled about Oz's What's in a name because the reveal of the name is in a totally different way that happens a lot later in time.

What do you guys think?
Hey Patrick,
You hit the nail on the head! That's the reason it is probably the most popular routine I do, and most memorable. Their thought when trying to backtrack is even if you could have seen it, which they don't believe you did, still how could you have ever written it much less gotten it into a wallet or in their hand while paper clipped.

Happy Holidays,
Oz
[quote]
On 2007-12-10 07:04, patrick66 wrote:
I have been practicing the perfected center tear for a long time. I even purchased Richard's special pads for this. But, when I perform it, most of the time people are not that baffled. In 75% of the cases they tell me that I somehow must have read the paper.

That's why I am thrilled about Oz's What's in a name because the reveal of the name is in a totally different way that happens a lot later in time.

What do you guys think?
[/quote]

I find your quote confusing. I have always been under the impression that CT is only the core method and not the effect alone. Maybe that's where you went wrong. Also it might help doing some kind of psi forcing where there is no obvious forcing involved along with a routine using CT.

-HJ
On the bonus section of the dvd, Oz teaches the basic center tear which is not the one he uses/ but he does disclose which DVD that teaches the center tear that he uses. I have Richard's CT, but I like the one Wayne Houchin teaches/uses in Stigmata.
I Just got this note from Penguin:

__________________________________________________________________________________
"Luke Jermay's Real Time Center Tear (Instant Download) is now FREE for everyone who purchases (or has purchased) Oz Pearlman's Into the Abyss (DVD).

The bonus download makes Into the Abyss a complete solution. The mentalism you'll learn on Into the Abyss is powerful enough for stage, but it's designed for close-up and walk-around environments. This is NOT the kind of magic NORMAL magicians do during walk-around gigs. But it WILL get your remembered for a long time to come. The reactions are HUGE. You're right there with your spectators. There's no explanation.

Here's what people are saying about Into the Abyss:

"I just finished watching Into The Abyss. It is great! VERY direct, usable, and non procedural mentalism. What's In a Name in particular is superb and "worth the price of the DVD"... if you do this they have to believe you truly can read their mind." -- Tim Trono
________________________________________________________________________________
Stigmata uses a center tear as well? Hmm, I have to look it up then, it's somewhere in my rack full of magic dvd's.

I'm going to perform What's in a name for the very first time to some lay people this weekend. I'm gonna give it some extra practice rounds.
Stigmata uses a peek (Acidus Novus, I believe), not a center tear, but either one will work for any of the effects on Into The Abyss. Have fun practicing!
[quote]
On 2008-01-16 12:36, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I Just got this note from Penguin:

__________________________________________________________________________________
"Luke Jermay's Real Time Center Tear (Instant Download) is now FREE for everyone who purchases (or has purchased) Oz Pearlman's Into the Abyss (DVD).

The bonus download makes Into the Abyss a complete solution. The mentalism you'll learn on Into the Abyss is powerful enough for stage, but it's designed for close-up and walk-around environments. This is NOT the kind of magic NORMAL magicians do during walk-around gigs. But it WILL get your remembered for a long time to come. The reactions are HUGE. You're right there with your spectators. There's no explanation.

Here's what people are saying about Into the Abyss:

"I just finished watching Into The Abyss. It is great! VERY direct, usable, and non procedural mentalism. What's In a Name in particular is superb and "worth the price of the DVD"... if you do this they have to believe you truly can read their mind." -- Tim Trono
________________________________________________________________________________
[/quote]

I didn't receive that note. Where is the download? I looked all over Penguin.
Thanks,
D
I should be clearer. I see the download on Penguin. I don't see the "free" download.
Thanks again,
D
Nvermind. Just got it.
I too got this e-mail today.

I gotta tell ya, I have got to believe this is as a result in no small part to the posts here and in the Penguin discussion forum regarding purchaser upset that the CT was so superficially treated on the DVD. (note: I do Osterlind, so I was not one of the complainers, but if I did not have a fave CT, I'm sure I would-a said something ;-)

I suspect that Oz saw this, and figured out how either with Luke, Penguin, or whoever, to provide this to his customers gratis. Assuming this is the case, I have to really hand it to Oz for listening to his constituency and taking care of his people. Nice to see when people actually give a darn.

Kudos!
Whats everyones opinion on this Center Tear instant download, how does it compare to PCT?
Hey; it's a CT. Not bad as a CT but then again, it's a $9.95 download that they are giving away to those who bought ITA from Oz. Well taught and explained by Luke. If you don't have a CT in your repertoire, this will give it to you. Fills the hole in the DVD nicely. (bad pun very inadvertent ;-)
You're right. Dave. A CT is a CT is a CT. As with all CTs, it's not really the "how" but the "when". Just about any CT will get the "hot" spot in view. The trick is viewing it without getting busted. I found Luke had some interesting ideas on the subject and made me rethink what I used to believe was outmoded.
[quote]
[/quote]

I must say that with the addition of Luke Jermay's method for CT that this is now a complete and satisfactory package. My dissatisfaction stemmed entirely from the lack of a satisfying and usable explanation of how to execute that critical piece.
Is the free CT donwload offer only for those bought ITA from Penguin?
You guys are a bunch of whiners.
If you didn' know how to do a peek and tear then mentalism isn't your thing.
That's all.

Matt
[quote]
On 2008-02-24 09:16, tian_ci wrote:
You guys are a bunch of whiners.
If you didn' know how to do a peek and tear then mentalism isn't your thing.
That's all.

Matt
[/quote]Praying for your credibility that that comment was sarcasm..
Everybody has to start somewhere at some point to learn. I learned my CT from Richard Osterlind, Wayne Houchin from his Stigmata DVD and also from Eillot Bresler, the Switchcraft. I've to say from what I read, Luke Jermay does a wonderful job in the Penguin instant download in teaching CT - 25 minutes of learning!
Oz just did a workshop in Sydney Australia were he performed and taught some of his effects from his DVD's. He was brilliant. It was a packed house, he actually stood on a milk create so all could see. His timing presentation and execution of the centre tear peek was amazing. In fact, the whole workshop was a learning curb on what it takes to be a pro.
Went to the Oz Pearlman lecture in Perth Australia last Friday and I agree it was the subtlety on the ct p..k and justification for writing the name on a card that were of interest to me. It was a great lecture!

Jonathan
Hey jonathan,

I actually went to his lecture in perth last friday also, I sent you pm

cheers

kent
I saw this promo on youtube. I thought the tape recorder was something you had to buy. For some reason the stapled vacation I though used a N.W. of sorts. Wow the video is misleading then as you don't see all the effect. It just shows reveals. It was impressive though, Ed, (Eddini), C.H.
[quote]
On 2008-04-05 18:21, Eddini_81976 wrote:
I saw this promo on youtube. I thought the tape recorder was something you had to buy. For some reason the stapled vacation I though used a N.W. of sorts. Wow the video is misleading then as you don't see all the effect. It just shows reveals. It was impressive though, Ed, (Eddini), C.H.
[/quote]
Huh?????
Quick note. If you're new to the CT, as I was, and want reason to learn it, either for a simple routine or for Oz's reveals, then I highly recommend this DVD as well as Osterlind's PCT booklet and Volume 1 of Osterlind's Mind Mysteries.

Learn the PCT then watch Oz's DVD to figure out the engagement and misdirection, use standard performance confidence and active engagement and you'll be able to add something different and powerful to your rep. If you have performance experience and are able to naturally engage and misdirect, then this is fairly easy to do, which was my biggest hesitation as it seemed too easy. Quick note, I use the PCT and bought and use Osterlind's paper as I was having problems tearing with my overly thick business cards and had issues with quality and tear from the small pads of paper I found at local office stores. Osterlinds pads are well worth the price.

Performed PCT and a simple reveal last evening three times to check technique and see if there was "anything to this" again, as it seemed too easy. People screamed, burst out laughing, etc. At first, I thought they must have caught on, I exposed something, etc. because the reactions were so strong, and I was the one astonished. It's a keeper. Now I'll move onto the reveals in Oz's DVD as I think they'll create a richer result and experience.

Top notch info and spectacular reveals! Well done Oz and thanks for sharing your routines. My best purchase of '08.
Themes, presentations and reveals are incredibly important, the secret method is secondary, the question is what does the spectator feel, see and experience.. I couldn't care less if a routine utilises rough and smooth, a TT or a one way deck, if the spectators are blown away and the reveal and presentation is spot on then that is what I care about..

I have never met Oz but this guy is good, has great presentations that are direct, hard hitting and commercial, they work, they impress and they amaze.. When I released 'The Afflicted' back in 2004 I didn't include a TT purely as most performers would have one, on 'Into the Abyss' Oz uses a technique that as 'mentalists' we should all now. If not get 13 steps and read it.. Part of the joy in doing what we do is learning techniques that work for us. Oz has released some great reveals that he uses in the real world.

I'd rather have ten reveals that make mind reading interesting than ten methods that do the same thing.

M.S.
Just finished watching this and its AMAZING..

If you want some brilliant ways to use the info aquired during a p**k or CT then this DVD will spoon feed you some great ideas (now just put your own mark on them!) All the routines are perfect for strolling and other situations..

Oz you really have gifted us with a great set of ideas here, thanks
Oz, Thank you so much! ITA revelation ideas are really great :) I cant even describe how much I love them!
ITA is great for any mental magician who wants to learn astonishing reveal. You can literally feel the tension in the air while spectator listens or reads the reveal!
Thank you Oz :)
[quote]
On 2008-08-22 18:32, Arthur-Zep wrote:
Oz, Thank you so much! ITA revelation ideas are really great :) I cant even describe how much I love them!
ITA is great for any mental magician who wants to learn astonishing reveal. You can literally feel the tension in the air while spectator listens or reads the reveal!
[/quote]

Hmmmmmmm.
I loved it. Learned from it and now have got it for sale on "let's make a deal" DVD's

Very worthwhile. The tape recorder routine is very clever and is going straight into my act.

GH
[quote]
On 2008-08-22 23:54, Gerry Hennessey wrote:
I loved it. Learned from it and now have got it for sale on "let's make a deal" DVD's

Very worthwhile. The tape recorder routine is very clever and is going straight into my act.

GH
[/quote]

So since you loved it and will be using it in your act you are going to sell it to get your money back and take a sale away from the creator????? Shame on you sir, shame on you...
If any of you would like to do a strong confabulation routine without spending a fortune on a wallet, get this DVD. Oz calls it "Dream Vacation". It could be adapted to any topic.
[quote]
On 2008-08-22 18:32, Arthur-Zep wrote:
[/quote]

Hmmmmmmm.
[quote]
On 2007-11-30 13:09, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-11-29 20:35, tian_ci wrote:
[/quote]

Oh, come on. Be honest. Magician or no, don't we all, deep down, hold out the hope that real mind reading is possible and that someone could teach it to us? :)

That being said, I do take what I see in a trailer with a grain (if not a boulder) of salt. Once bitten, twice shy.
[/quote]

Pulled this one out of the vault... to say... Psychophysiological Thought Reading (fancy name for muscle reading) also taught on Banachek's Psi Series Vol. 3 will make you feel as if you can truly read minds. Although, I first learned a method in a short booklet called Hellstromism by Robert Nelson from Abbotts. At only $10 it will be your favorite find in a while! Supposedly they are the exact methods used by Axel Hellstrom.

I was maybe 14 when I first became fascinated. I had my doubts that it would work, but after a couple months of dragging my brother and sister around the house, I was pretty impressed with myself. In "Hellstromism" Nelson makes an assertion that enough practice can help you on your way to becoming truly psychic. That did not happen to me, although, I can remember having many more "intuitive" moments back in those days. Maybe it was the Hellstromism? Two things are for sure... 1. it takes a lot of practice, 2. It's worth it.
Isn't the tape recorder prediction the same as Dan Huffman's from Linking Ring in 1976? I was highly disappointed with this purchase because I didn't find anything new :-/.
Agreed. There really isn't anything new. The two index cards that are stapled together is not an original idea of his. I read it in a very old book. I forget the creator but I know Oz never gave him credit for the idea on this DVD.
Maybe it was an original idea with him, but coincidentally had been released before. Independent creation is nothing new. Besides, These are Oz's handlings to revelations of information and lots of professional mentalists have come forward saying that they like the video. I love the revelations. They're strong, commercial, and easy to do.
I have had a ton of success with these effects. I have performed "what's in a name" dozens of times and it never fails to get a great reaction. I have fun with the person while performing and leave them with a moment of true astonishment and isn't that what it's really all about.
For which routine is the hip pocket Mullica, is it necessary?
[quote]
On 2009-10-22 18:47, Rpascual wrote:
[/quote]
"What's in a name?" is the effect that Oz uses a HPM. This is not, however, necessary. Oz goes into an alternate handling that requires nothing but a paperclip. I believe this version to be stronger that the one with the wallet. (It looks a little less 'proppy')

Cheers,
Rev.
[quote]
On 2009-10-26 04:58, revelation77 wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-10-22 18:47, Rpascual wrote:
[/quote]
"What's in a name?" is the effect that Oz uses a HPM. This is not, however, necessary. Oz goes into an alternate handling that requires nothing but a paperclip. I believe this version to be stronger that the one with the wallet. (It looks a little less 'proppy')

Cheers,
Rev.
[/quote]

Thank you! now I don't have to and buy a hpm. :D.
I know this is an old thread but this DVD is GOLD and highly recommended. Great material.

AS long as you can do a good CT you will be off to the races.
Saysold1, good on you for bringing this thread back! Oz, a FULL TIME corportae performer uses this in his work. It KILLS!

Richard Osterlind's CT is one of the best for this type of effect.

saysold1, thanks for the welcome back on the other therad;-)

Zombie
"What's In A Name" is my go to effect if I need to impress a potential client.
I cannot stress enough have powerful this is. I always get crazy reaction. It is not unlikely that people get tears in their eyes or begin to shake as it is so personal and emotional an experience for them (I once had a person that almost fainted!). This is without a doubt one of the strongest pieces of mentalism you can do.

Thank you so much, mr. Pearlman, for releasing such a great product!