(Close Window)
Topic: Vigil’s Sympathetic Cards by Paul Vigil
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Dec 3, 2007 06:31AM)
I haven't seen a review here yet for this...and can't understand why not?!?! I received an email from Paul, as well as myspace alerts to this..and immediately went for it! I have always loved the plot of Sympathetic cards, and I always used Jorg Alexanders version...and probably still will whilst performing in cabaret...however, this is INCREDIBLY tempting to perform in cabaret, but much more suited to close up I think... Here is the small ad/endorsements you will have read if you got the email or alerts...

Sympathy (for the Devil) Cards
Or
Cartas con Simpatia Diabolica
a.k.a.
Vigil’s Sympathetic Cards*
(Sans Gaffus)

*as dubbed by The Great Tomsoni

This is my version of the classic Sympathetic Cards.

“Another winner from Paul Vigil!
When Paul showed me this my mind filled with thoughts of possibilities. Thank you Paul!”
- Eugene Burger

“I think this is one of the best constructed matching routines in the history of card magic.”
- Allan Ackerman

“Paul’s magic is a beautiful blend of poetry, dexterous manipulation and psychology. Sympathetic Cards utterly destroyed me the first time I saw it performed. I didn’t know what was coming and when I got there it was already too late to even try to backtrack. Then there’s the surprise ending…
I don’t do a lot of card tricks, but this is something I will perform.”
- Patrick G. Redford

“Brilliant. Elegant. Diabolical.
Once again, Paul Vigil has proven why he is simply one of my favorite magicians in the world.”
- Rick Maue

“The bad part of progressing in magic is that you don’t get fooled very often. This trick fooled me. Paul has obviously put in a lot of thoughtful work on this one. Magic is replete with tricks that sound good or look good on video, but aren’t practical when applied in the real world. This one is entertaining, will work in the real world and will fool your spectators.”
- Darren Hart

“Fantastic! That was amazing!”
- John Born

Available via paypal for $20 to paul@paulvigil.com
Subject line: Sympathy

Shout @ the Devil,

V

Ps. Also contains bits,tips and thoughts from Luke Jermay, Joey Burton, John Born, Patrick Redford, Dan Harlan, Raj Madhok and Rick Maue.

Now for a review...

What you receive...an incredibly well written and detailed pdf which is 29 pages long! For a start, Paul continues to prove a point to me...when some of the less inexperienced or younger Magicians try and releases a manuscript on something, it can sometimes be about 1-3 pages long...but with Paul...this one effect is detailed in 29 pages! Big difference, and it is the same with all his releases, very well and deatiled writing, makes for ease of learning...

Now, onto the effect, it is the classic Sympathetic cards plot, but with NO gaffs, it uses a regular deck, the spectator cuts the deck where they like, free choice...the spectator chooses a half...free choice, no Magicians force or anything...you demonstrate what they are about to do with their half by mixing your half...some face up, some face down as well...and then they do the same...mix it AS MUCH as they like, really they do! Then the cards are all turned over, and they match the pairs of your pile! (That description really doesn't do the effect justice so far) Now, there are no switches or funny moves here, they really are the two packets which have been on view the entire time, spectators could literally burn your hands and the packets throughout the entire routine so far and not see anything...because there is nothing to see!!!
But there is more!!! A prediction which has also been in view the ENTIRE time, and can even be given out before the effect is opened, and seen to match the order of the cards perfectly! Absolutely incredible!!! All without any gaffs, a normal deck of cards, no switches or ANY sleight of hand!

This routine really is diabolicly clever, and it fools both laymen and Magician!!! Including yourself when you first try it out! I really do think it is impossible for anyone to figure this one out whilst watching it.

The other great thing about the value to this, is the tips and ideas given from other world class Magicians and creators. Paul's way of the final prediction is incredible, but sadly won't work...for me, but others it will, it really will!! But everyone is different, and it really is limited by your imagination! It took me some time to realise I can use this with my up coming release, but they sit hand in hand with each other, that it is almost stupid I didn't think to put them together in the first place!

If anyone is looking for that REALLY killer piece of Magic, that is incredibly fooling and Magical, then look no further...Pauls third release this year...and it is ANOTHER killer, behind Diplopia and ICON, Paul really shows that he is one of Magics best minds, and I really look forward to anything else he releases.

Everyone has their favourite creators, people who as soon as they see a release it out, or coming out by someone, they will rush to get it when they can...Paul Vigil is one of those people for me. I don't even need to think about it, if he is releasing it, I know it will be good, and well written.

9.9/10 (Sorry, nothing is perfect!)
I also snapped this up... even though to be honest I had no clue what it was I was actually purchasing, but I knew I'd learn something as Paul's material is always of such a high... content wise and how much is put into each pdf manuscript.

Im so glad that I did snap this up as the routine is just... well... phenominal.

Chris... yeah good idea with combining this with yours... excellent.
This sounds almost perfect. How much of a deck set up is there? Can it be done in front of the audience?

Thanks

Steve
[quote]
On 2007-12-03 12:54, Y2John wrote:
I also snapped this up... even though to be honest I had no clue what it was I was actually purchasing, but I knew I'd learn something as Paul's material is always of such a high... content wise and how much is put into each pdf manuscript.

Im so glad that I did snap this up as the routine is just... well... phenominal.

Chris... yeah good idea with combining this with yours... excellent.
[/quote]

Me too!

I spoke with Don Theo III the other morning and he was so animated about it, I couldn't resist. I need a 12 step...

Good to see my friends in "ebooks anonymous" again. Happy Monday.

The ebook is excellent. I can't wait to give this a try. It is very practical and clever. The handling is "oh-so-simple" and beautiful. Clever method, VERY nice routine.

Sean
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Dec 3, 2007 01:30PM)
[quote]
On 2007-12-03 13:00, Steve Suss wrote:
This sounds almost perfect. How much of a deck set up is there? Can it be done in front of the audience?

Thanks

Steve
[/quote]

There is a set up, you can't do this from a borrowed deck straight away (Don't worry, it isn't a full deck set up or anything)...however, at the start, a couple false shuffles, false cuts etc will be good enough. The amount of free choices and mixing they get to do at the start makes it seem free enough to them
I was fortunate enough to see Paul lecture last week in what he called his very first lecture where he performed this. There is not much to add to what has been written above except to say that this routine is as easy to learn as it is elegant. All the touches he has added is what makes this a showpiece. He used a cell phone in his prediction ending (which is explained in the PDF) which I thought was a great "kick in the head" ending. It's a beautiful routine and highly recommended.

(He also performed a matrix routine that he did not explain that was as close to real magic as I've ever seen.)
I also got this form Paul's myspace post. I have also been working on Kostya Kimlat's Roadrunner cull and have brazenly set up the deck in front of people (not sure if it was a good idea, but I used a few false riffle shuffles while talking about fate) Set up properly this effect can't not entertain...nothing but great reactions from this one...
Are this effect and Oz Pearlman's "Perfection" the same effects?
Bugjack

No...both effects could not be more different.

Thanks
Frank V.
Paul is a true gentleman and I recommend anything he does!! paul is a true student of the art and does not release anything below par or untested! a rarity in this day and age.

p.s public thanks for private reasons to paul if you read this!!
Thanks, Frank. As I loved "Diplopia" I'll be picking this up at some point.
Welp, another $20 to the addiction ;)

But I am a sucker for devilish effects :bat:
Yeah definitely going to take a look at this. I loved Diplopia, wasn't too interested in Icon, but this one is certainly right up my alley. I hope to receive this one soon! :)
This is simply a great effect and presentation with tons of possibilities. I highly recommend it.
This is a very good idea. It would have been perfect if the face down cards in each packet showed up at the same time, too.

- entity
Better be good ... ;)
It may be a wonderful effect in print. But I don't believe a 20 page card trick will go DIRECTLY into MY show. There are MANY effects that are just as mind boggeling yet much easier to accomplish and allow one to concentrate on presentation.

It's good, but it won't go into my act. My shelf maybe. My opinion.

John
I'd love to hear any more reviews for this. I loved Diplopia, but ICON is awful, so I'm firmly on the fence in regards to purchasing this.
The effect is essentially self-working and the possibilities for presentations (I'm referring to the last phase specifically) are endless. Paul tends to "leave no stone unturned" in his instructions so they are lengthy. The routine runs about 6 to 7 minutes and can involve anywhere from one to three participants. It builds nicely to the finale which is very commercial and can be personalized to the performing context. This alone is extremely valuable.
[quote]
On 2007-12-16 16:24, johncesta wrote:
It may be a wonderful effect in print. But I don't believe a 20 page card trick will go DIRECTLY into MY show. There are MANY effects that are just as mind boggeling yet much easier to accomplish and allow one to concentrate on presentation.

John
[/quote]

John,

I perform almost exclusively on stage and have one card effect scripted (a personal piece utilizing the BCS) however, when reading this routine, I pulled the pasteboards right back out.

Before using it professionally I ramped this one up against my friends and brothers. At this point (and I'm sure you all can identify with this) there is very little, with cards or anything else, that could impress them enough to top what they have seen in the past.

This one transcends the genre, though. My best friends and family, who have seen the most amazing things from me in the past (not trying to brag, all of y'all feel me here) were dumbfounded when I shuttled this one out.

Paul V. is the biggest midget in the game. (That's an S.O.Veee reference, we are actually about the same height.)

D.
I just got my copy...so far this reads nice! another winner from the master mind of Paul V...thanks Paul...
So wait do I just send money to the paypal? or Is there a product sight?
I might have read this wrong but the effect sounds similar to Perfection by Oz. I just ordered that so just wanted to make sure before I bought anything.
[quote]
On 2007-12-16 20:40, paisa23 wrote:
I might have read this wrong but the effect sounds similar to Perfection by Oz. I just ordered that so just wanted to make sure before I bought anything.
[/quote]
They are two very different effects..
[quote]
On 2007-12-16 16:24, johncesta wrote:

John
[/quote]

In theory, the effect and method could be written in about 2-3 pages - especially since some of the concepts are classic - but the innovation is the combining of them... sort of like Tony's Popular Selection... this seems to me to be in the same class of miracle...

The darn thing is so simple in methodology that one can enjoy going well with the presentation angles....

This is great for close up, parlour or stage.... yes... a card trick for stage!

I'm going to try using Jumbo cards as well... I have a feeling it might actually prevent specs from accidently screwing up... and easier for a certain thing the performer needs to do during the multiple mixes :)

The idea supplied/inspired by Luke J. I really like...

I'll rewrite/adapt the entire presentation for my style... but the nice thing Paul has done is illustrate ways to add in details and concepts for specs to think are important to the effect - which are not...

Also which is nice is that the concepts can be totally lifted into other presentations that do not even need to have a "sympathetic" effect... imagine a tarot card spread created by the random mixing of the sitter - that was predicted 500 years ago by a mad alchemist - which is proven by an ancient journal... and the cards also reveal the sitter's birthday!!!

Yep... fun fun fun!

I did the basic (sorry, it isn't basic but that is what I call the out-of-box doing of an effect before I start playing with it) for some people on Friday and it floored them... especially the kicker ending...

Thanks Paul!!!

Keep them coming!

(Get to some Bizarre releases too, if you do that - I have to keep adapting your stuff into the dark realms myself!)

Best regards,

Dr Spektor
This sounds very good from what people are saying.....I shall be getting it soonish :)
Indeed..Sounds like something I would like to have...
Yes this is good, and very thought-provoking.
I haven't tried this out yet, but one thing struck me- rather than removing the cards from the glasses beginning with the pair towards the spectators, wouldn't it make more sense to begin with the pair closest to you? This way each upcoming pair would not be visible while you are displaying the previous pair.
Comments?
I think it is to keep the cards in "sight" so all the moves are "transparent" (ouch!)... if you take cards from the back, someone might think you are plucking cards from the middle, or something etc... at least, that is what I think for why it is presented that way to remove that option from the specs's minds so they don't ruin the magic by coming up with a (wrong) explanation....
Dr. Bill showed me this the other day after performing his mind-numbing sponge-ball routine for an innocent bystander, and it was fantastic!

I'll have to look into it.
Yeah,that crossed my mind...just seems a little anti-climatic to "reveal" a match that they have likely already seen.
Maybe it's just me, I tend to overthink these things.
I'm intrigued.

For those who know Tamariz's version, which do you prefer and why? Pm's welcome!

Ben
I think after 3-4 matches the point is made :) - that is why the climax really is the second phase with the revelation of the envelope etc... if it was only the matching, the magical dictum of being at least 3 or four steps ahead of the specs is lost! When you try it out, you'll see that the first phase is great but then lulls them into "ok - I see what is coming" and then you pull out the hammer :)

Again - I've been playing around with Tarot Card spreads and it works well - I will combine with a diary effect and whammo bammo.

Suggestion: try it a few times and you'll see the specs heads explode (I am happy my cell phone # works for this effect!)
I'm interested that no one else has mentioned the fact that the face down cards don't show up in sympathy in each set of cards, as they do in some other sympathetic card routines. Didn't anyone else find this disappointing? I like the method, I just find it illogical for some to be face down in one pile and not match the other pile. Or did I miss something?

- entity
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Dec 18, 2007 04:06AM)
[quote]
On 2007-12-18 00:55, entity wrote:
I'm interested that no one else has mentioned the fact that the face down cards don't show up in sympathy in each set of cards, as they do in some other sympathetic card routines. Didn't anyone else find this disappointing? I like the method, I just find it illogical for some to be face down in one pile and not match the other pile. Or did I miss something?

- entity
[/quote]

I think this is personal preference, because although I do admit it would be nice for face up and face down to match, but I think the fact they don't also makes it strong, as it isn't too perfect, and when you see one face up and one face down, the spectators are thinking...will it match?!?!

~As I said, everyone will see if differently, but I like it better for this reason
I agree with Chris re: personal preference - it allows a little more mystery by seeing that both sets of cards have been mixed differently but the order ended up the same.... all I know is for the few I've tried it on - they seemed overall floored...

In some ways - from a "mentalism" point of view, I think Chris also has a point of it not being so "prefect matched" that allows it a bit more reality.

Besides, the concept within is cool. I tried the Tarot card effect I've been babbling about this AM and it freaked out my "sitter".... (the kicker being the sealed ancient envelope with the spread predicted and signed by some mad monk from the 14th Century)...

Messy can be good - Confusion not so. Messy is more closer to life than perfection IMHO.

I think I'll also adapt this to some spelling cards and maybe a gambling demonstration...
My cell # did not originally work but I found away around it. For those of you who own the effect and your number does not work, PM me (with the first word on page 17) and I'll let you know the solution I came up with.

It does nothing to remotely describe the methodology, just a way to make a fit that works well for me, FWIW.

D.
Oh yeah, got "Sympathy For The Devil" as my ring tone.
Did this on Friday for a group of 16-24 year olds.... they really loved the cards matching.... but the best was the kicker... when the envelope a girl was holding began to vibrate and ring she screeched and leaped up... and the rest was my usual brand of theatre... it was talked about for a long time afterward....

Thanks again Paul, this is going to likely become a regular piece.
It's a gem, Paul! And, thanks Don Theo III for all your advice, past and future.
[quote]
On 2007-12-18 11:24, Dr Spektor wrote:
Messy is more closer to life than perfection IMHO.
[/quote]

<i>"Wabi Sabi"</i> (japanese)-
"Wabi" is the kind of perfect beauty that is seemingly-paradoxically caused by just the right kind of imperfection, such as an asymmetry in a ceramic bowl which reflects the handmade craftsmanship, as opposed to another bowl which is perfect, but soul-less and machine-made.
"Sabi" is the kind of beauty that can come only with age, such as the patina on a very old bronze statue.

[quote]
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There's a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.[/quote]
-Leonard Cohen
Thank you, Tone. We received Andrew Juniper's book on wabi sabi, the Japanese art of impermanence and duende, beneath our candled axis mundi. As Don Theo and I have discussed, we must not forget the dynamic of original sympathy with this event.

--coup
I bought this recently last Friday. Played around with it and fooled myself! It's a keeper!! I'm going to work on presentation and I'm glad it works on my cell phone.
[quote]
On 2007-12-27 01:08, Tone wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-12-18 11:24, Dr Spektor wrote:
Messy is more closer to life than perfection IMHO.
[/quote]

<i>"Wabi Sabi"</i> (japanese)-
"Wabi" is the kind of perfect beauty that is seemingly-paradoxically caused by just the right kind of imperfection, such as an asymmetry in a ceramic bowl which reflects the handmade craftsmanship, as opposed to another bowl which is perfect, but soul-less and machine-made.
"Sabi" is the kind of beauty that can come only with age, such as the patina on a very old bronze statue.

[/quote]

I also like Wasabi on my sushi - and this sort of effect is hot! (OUCH - but I had to do it... you set it up so nicely...)
I always wanted to do this effect and now I do!

With cards in hand, I went through the steps in the Manuscript and just like Paul says,"it will fool you".

That principle alone was worth it to me, as I like things that can be applied in other effects and has already got me thinking.

Then I read through the full routine and thought something was left out as I was thinking you would have to make one small adjustment to the spectators packet, after they were done.
So I got my 52 buddies and low and behold, that same principle that I just (thought i) learned had already taken care of it.

This whole routine is a Showpeice and as they say, the devel is in the details and Paul is a master when it comes to details.

This is such a fair,well thought out and impossible looking effect and the kicker is just killer!

The effect is very easy to do and he gives his own presentation as he takes you through the working, which I like, as it is much easier to picture, just how strong this realy is.

Darwin Ortiz has been one of my favorite authors for a long time and This manuscript from paul grabbed me the same way, as the writing is superb and and the effect elegant.

Just my opinion, but that's exactly how I feel about Sympathetic Cards by Paul Vigil.

Steve Haynes
This is great. Performed it at a wedding the other day with a Sympathy/Empathy theme. The best thing was the reaction of the newlyweds. Amazing.
This is indeed a great effect. But keep in mind that it does use an almost complete (75%) deck setup, and the strongest presentation (in my opinion) requires one or two perfect faros. If you have the luxury of starting with a full (or almost full) deck setup and the skill to perform a perfect faro, many stunning effects are available to you. In fact, you're in a very elite category of effects, most of which are complete mind-blowers and can be found in books containing many other such effects for a per effect price much lower than this one. $20 for a single effect seems a bit high to me when you look at what you can get for much less.
If you perform this in your own town or area I think using the Area Code is a slight bit of a tip off that there was some kind of set up....

Doing this locally I just ask them to dial their Area Code ( same as mine ) and then just dial the next 7 cards....joking,,,, lets keep this a local call....

Of course when doing this out of town use all 10 digits.
I have already proclaimed my happiness with this effect but I gotta step back up and say, I have Bren using this as an audition piece and it has proven to be SO profitable!

Great routine and great scripting.

Wow cubed.

D
I just got this and am very happy! Very well scripted and very well thought out. I haven't tried it on anyone yet, but plan on doing so soon. I can imagine that the reactions will be amazing. This is so clever and a pleasure to read. The script is one of the best parts, it is very well written and pays a lot of attention to details. Recommended!
I just got this as well and it's really good. I'm thinking of a Statistics textbook prediction where the 1st few cards lead you to a page # with a highlighted problem about card statistics. There are tons of these in most statistics books, just to find one that relates to the trick in some way. The last cards will end up equaling the solution. With this you can also use the book as part of the presentation by misreading pertinant statitics along the way.
I went to the Noblezada Experience workshop this past weekend and met Paul. He's unbelievable. He taught us his updated handling of this routine and went into a lot of detail on making the magic real. The subtleties are amazing. The method he showed us ends with the spec choosing either pile, mixing them again, and then dialing the first 10 values into a phone as a phone number, which called his phone that was sitting in a gift box on the table. It was amazing.
I closed my recent small (40 people) stage show with this effect. It fit quite nicely. I used an alternative ending but retrospectively I think Paul's original ending as written is stronger. Especially with his updated patter and handling.

D.
This really is a great effect. There is a nice review on this site:

http://online13steps.blogspot.com/2008/08/paul-vigil.html
That sounds pretty cool!
It IS pretty cool!

You will even fool yourself with it. I love the cell phone twist in the end.

Stefan

http://www.pierrot.tobit.net
Finally got this and read it a few times. This is a very
good application of the 'D13T' principle. But... I still
don't get the point of putting 'X X' atop 3H (page ix) and
when the 'X' is eliminated before the final phone
prediction.

Jason
This is exactly why I joined message boards...to share exciting tricks with one another. I talked to Paul the other day online...I recently had a tumor removed, he e-mailed me a PDF file to cheer me up...it was Diplopia. I was floored. I heard about how good Paul was from Luke Jermay but I had never Paul nor seen any of his magic.

I am floored because he is a genius...he is humble... he is everything you want in a magician and a mentor. Why he is not more widely know...well, that is beyond me. My suggestion to anyone is get to know Paul and his material. You will never be sorry. Some tricks involve allot of time investment, but from what I experienced on the one trick alone, what little is required is worth it...but what is not required and you learn/achieve anyway can take you to a whole different level.
I will definately pick this trick up. I am blown away at the phone number idea. Also....ICON is another routine I will purchase as well. I may not use all three in every situation but it has been a LOOOOOOONG time since I really REALLY got excited about new magic.
I got Paul's Sympathy routine the other day. Still working on it. Thanks all.
[quote]
On 2008-03-04 20:10, Don Theo III wrote:

Great routine and great scripting.

Wow cubed.

D
[/quote]

Yes...I have to agree. I also want to recommend Diplopia.
Any video trailer to watch ?
If you all like this effect, I'd like to inform you of my ebook which is being reviewed and proofread with elegant card mentalism effects only - that's my area. I got quite excited when I read this thread.

I have done the phone prediction thing for ages. Always kills.
Need some help here. I purchased this sometime back and I must have deleted cuz I cant find it. I can provide proof that I purchased it - the pay pal invoice - if someone can send me another copy. I have emailed paul but have not yet had a reply.
Disregard. paul responded to me.
Hey guys,

I was a bit hesitant about getting this. As many of you know, I have an effect called "Coincidental" that is my one deck take on Juan Tamariz' "Total Coincidence". In a session after a lecture in my home about 10 years ago, Allan Ackerman gave me a great quote for my routine, as I see he did with Paul Vigil. So when I saw the description of Paul's routine, I thought maybe they would be so similar as not to merit me purchasing it.

Well, I took the plunge and I am happy to report that my concern was unmerited. This is a very different routine from Coincidental. The only similarity is that both routines are matching effects.

I really like Paul's effect. It is very easy, very clever, and has an absolutely stunning climax. I will use it in my performing repertoire at paying gigs, and that is the single highest recommendation I can give. I REALLY like this!
Is this still available anywhere?
[quote]
On 2013-09-10 20:09, Nunhunter wrote:
[/quote]Get a Reel Magic Magazine subscribtion, it's in their on demand plus section.
[quote]
On 2013-09-16 09:37, Blindside785 wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-09-10 20:09, Nunhunter wrote:
[/quote]Get a Reel Magic Magazine subscribtion, it's in their on demand plus section.
[/quote]

Thanks Blindside
Lets bring this back to life. Who is still loving this? Im looking for a version and its between this and Sympathetic Cards Jörg Alexander
Jørg's is ideal for parlor/stage. Paul's is brilliant for close up but also works in other area's too. I think they're both worth buying and studying.

Then again…. I LOVE this plot! So I would say something like that… ;)

Happy Holidays!
I want them both then. But if I require Gimmicks does it still exist as a PDF? IM sorry I'm Deployed for the next six months and supplies for magic are seldom
Paul's = no gaff.

Jorg = gaff required.

Hope this helps.
Illusioneer that does help, thank you and Paul gave me some info too. thank you very much ill be looking to pick this up soon.
Paisa23, thank you for your service.