(Close Window)
Topic: A new version of a common question
I see many asking "what do you carry" etc..

but... if a person stopped you blindly on the street, and asked you to show them ONE single trick..

what would it be.. and why?
Does it matter that I decide what to perform based of factors such as situation, environment, and the person I am performing for?
I guess what Im asking is, if you ran into someone on the street, and they said "oh, you got into magic right? show me something" and youre there in the middle of a mall, or on the street, given what you normally carry as a magician... what would be the one trick you would do?

I guess when someone asks "show me something" what comes to mind the most?

Looking to see what the common thread is among favorite quick ad-hoc effects.
I always carry "Alien Autopsy" with me, as well as "Color Monte". They're both really great packet tricks and are a lot of fun to perform. Everyone I've ever done them for has enjoyed it.
Something concerning a spoonbend or a Thought Transmitter or Center Tear.
I always have my Stealth Wallet, in it is Bye George and Color Monte. I also carry Digital Dissolve (now that Steve Dusheck and Theory 11 have reached an agreement I use it more often).
Dude don't listen to JackScratch he is just being toxic.

Your question is one that many performers think about. And well you should because people WILL ask you to do something once they find out you are a magician. WHY? I am not sure. They don't ask me to act out Shakespeare when they find out I am an actor! Go figure!

Check out "Proof Positive". Search the Café under this title. Better yet e-mail David Parr at david@davidparr.com This is a wonderfully impromptu piece of magic!

You could always check out "Eugene's Last Dollar" an effect I created for/with Eugene Burger. As long as I am pimping my buddy, I may as well get a plug in for meeself.

Best
I'd ask them if they had a 20 or larger bill , vanish it, and keep on walking.
I'm now doing a TT silk vanish to color changing silk - it's good magic for those who don't know how it's done, and the color change zaps those who think they know what's up, too!
I would probably do 3flyIII or some other coin trick that does not require gaffed coins.
I think this depends on your persona.

Before I started performing just mentalism I often used Card Warp, Daley's Last Trick, the Arm Twister illusion or Crazy Man's Handcuffs.

D.
I like to do Torn and Restored Dollar easy set up and fast in restraunt vanishing salt shaker!
Buy Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. I ask them if they have change (preferable a quarter) and do some coin slights. Which is very nice and usually wows the spectator, but coin magic isn't my major Kid shows are.

Posted: Jan 1, 2008 10:11pm
Here's the link if anyone wants to buy it http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=535 for $10 it's an amazing deal.
Expanded s@$£ll coin what looks more impromptu than loose change.Show empty hands and one coin .Guess which hand has a coin.Show both hold a coin.Very basic very simple I know but blows laymen away they just can't fathom it.
My first choice will be Garret Thomas’ The Ring Thing.This routine is in the great Gregory Wilsons "In action" Dvds,is great and contains all the Necessary: vanish,appearing and transposition with a borrowed ring.If the person is SO excited I do "Body Piercing" found in the same Genius dvd series.Greg have MANY GOOD ideas and tricks in " an unsuspected" situation,
Thanks,
Hansel!!
The Invisible Deck!! I carry one wherever I go..it's a killer.

Charlie
I would ask them to pick a number between 1 and 1,000,000. Then give them an electric shocker pen to write it down.

I'm not right.

Posted: Feb 24, 2008 8:16pm
Seriously though, I would probably do a coin trick like Midas touch. I always have it with me.
I actually try to avoid that situation. However, vanishing a coin is my quickest out.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Hi Mr Sanders:
With ALL my respect,Why you prefers to aovid the situation?
Thanks,
Hansel!
One word:
Control

Control... of the situation, of your environment, of your audience, etc...

You don't want them to get the idea that you're nothing more than a "trick machine" that they can turn on and off at will. Musicians get the same thing. If someone has a beat up old guitar in their closet and they learn that you play, all of a sudden you're their "jukebox." Sorry, but that's not for me. It's not for other performers either. I remember an article by Max Maven that talks about the same thing. As a professional performer, he's under no obligation to perform on command. If they want to see him, they can buy a ticket and go to his show like everybody else.
Either Destination Unknown or Die-Cipher II
Even I don't have it (actually I have Prophet), I'm waiting for somebody to say "Extreme Burn".
I always carry dime and penny and a few extra cards for Card Warp.
I'm with the "I don't perform on command" school of thought.
My friends and family understand and wouldn't ask me

Does anyone ask a surgeon to start working at a dinner party?
A mechanic, computer programmer or plumber to work on demand?

But years ago I would carry an ID, pair of D'lites and was known to have fire throwing battles in a certain local nightclub
[quote]
On 2009-04-09 23:43, Vick wrote:

[/quote]

Yes, they do. I design networks, but to the layman I am 'in computers' and get asked about their Windows computers all the time. I have friends who are doctors and lawyers and they get asked for professional advice constantly. However, it does seem that people who are in the performance arts tend to be expected to be 'on' all the time.
Im not a professional magician so I guess its different for me as it is not my job so Im actually really happy when someone asks me if I can show them a trick, I enjoy performing and entertaining people even if its my friends for a few minutes when were out.. Anyway I like impromptu type of things because I think its more natural than pulling out a card deck or something like that so I do coin routines mostly but also elastic bands, both common objects but still get amazing reactions!
[quote]
On 2009-04-09 23:43, Vick wrote:
[/quote]

I used to be a lawyer, then got an honest job and I've been a computer programmer for years now.

I get asked a million questions about PCs, Software, Setup, Internet, Personal Injuries, Neighbour Disputes, etc etc etc.

All the time...!

Doctors get it just the same if not worse - I've had this constant headache, my mother has a bad hip, etc.

It's actually a bit of a relief if someone only says "can you show me a card trick ?" :)

It is easy to be precious, but if you do magic to entertain, and someone actually *wants* to be entertained by you, why wouldn't you ? Not for an hour, sure, but 2 or 5 minutes is OK, most times.

Responding to the OP - I carry Color Monte, and will do a quick ACR with their deck if they have one.
[quote]
On 2007-12-16 19:39, P.T. Murphy wrote:
Dude don't listen to JackScratch he is just being toxic.

Your question is one that many performers think about. And well you should because people WILL ask you to do something once they find out you are a magician. WHY? I am not sure. They don't ask me to act out Shakespeare when they find out I am an actor! Go figure!

Check out "Proof Positive". Search the Café under this title. Better yet e-mail David Parr at david@davidparr.com This is a wonderfully impromptu piece of magic!

You could always check out "Eugene's Last Dollar" an effect I created for/with Eugene Burger. As long as I am pimping my buddy, I may as well get a plug in for meeself.

Best
[/quote]

Dude, why do you consider a thoughtful approach toxic? Dude. Why is it any attempt I make to add a little depth to the cliche that magicians are I catch grief from you and your buddies? Dude, what is your problem with magicians going beyong "What's the best trick"? Dude.
A very honest question. It all boils down to what you have on you, and not what you WANT to do. For me, based on what is likely to be found on me: Extreme burn, Kolossal Killer, various coin and mentalism routines as I will always have coins,pen,paper & business cards in my pocket. They are all powerful effects, and each is suitable for various situations. So the answer is there no ONE effect. Sleight of hand and mentalism each have their place.
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Noobini (Apr 28, 2009 05:39AM)
This threads reminds me that I really should start to carry more things than a deck of cards and some coins. And that I should learn more effects with everyday objects.

If we are in our imaginary street, suddenly arrested by someone and asked to perform, it would be a bit more fun to pat our pockets, dive into them and come out with for instance an old medal from WW1, a shrunken head and a small antique pocket knife with a few notches cut into the handle.

In my case I don't really know a lot of shrunken head material (yet), but I suppose I could do the first trick I learned, which is to take out some blank cards and print business cards out of them.
Extreme Burn. (There you go, nattefrost.)

Crazy Man's Handcuffs.
Message: Posted by: Johnny Butterfield (Apr 28, 2009 11:58AM)
It depends - if they ask to see a trick, sure. If they tell me to do a trick, no way.

Usually a one coin flurry, or a quick spellbound routine with a borrowed coin.
I am with Daniel. I always, always. always have my Easy Money set up and my rubber bands around my wrist for my rubber band routine. I also always have a deck of buisness cards, I have a mentalism routine that is several phases - sometimes of course I only do one of the phases. I keep a deck around so I can practice when I am bored, but I try to do my impromptu card magic with other people's decks whenever possible.

This is all stuff I have so I that I can do magic when I want to. Emphasis on the "I." I believe in always being prepared but I agree that one should not be a trick machine.
2 words - Kolassal Killer.
All of the above mentioned effects are good, however they all have one drawback in common. You have to have a prop with you at all times. I would recommend that you learn a few good, truely impromptu effects using everyday objects such as coins, rubber bands, pencils, pens, business cards etc. With this knowledge you will never be caught off guard. I was once told by a photography teacher to use the kiss method for my photography. When I asked what the kiss method was, he replied "Keep It Simple Stupid". I have never forgotten that and I apply this to my magic as well. Good Luck and have fun with it.
I used to say spoonbend etc..
now I say.. cold reading all the way. no stuff with me, makes a hell of an impression, anytime anywhere, no sleights required(which doesn't mean it is easy, I'm very specific with dates numbers and specific nongeneral things).
What can I say.. it kills man :)
Almost any variation of the Center Tear. Never fails.
If I were to comply with such a request I would pick up any small object available, or let them choose one -- ring, stone, nut, ring, whatever. I would place it in my left hand and make a fist. Then I would open both hands and show the object gone! After displaying both hands on all sides, I would ask them to pick a spot and produce the object from there -- your pocket, their ear, from the sleeve of a passing stranger.

If you can't do this simple thing, contact me. It takes only a couple of Sway Sleights you can perfect in 10 minutes, no gimmicks, no preparation.
Scotch and Soda is always on me and a deck of cards is always on me
Gregory Wilson's 3/4's across. Simple, strong, and only needs 3 quarters that can even be borrowed.
I never do a quickie or one trick. if I got this request then I expect that they give me some time. If not then there will be no magic, controling the situation. I start with a flashy opener and do strange traveller (david blaine) or telethought (just a good reason to give my businesscard) :)
I would do some mental stuff like "Think of a colour, any colour, and tell me when I snap my fingers...". Works 9 times out of 10. No props, no table. Duh!
An in there hands transposition of two cards. I always love the reaction when the think they have one card. You say to them that it is now another. They don't believe you. They look at it and just say "wow"
That's right! a colour change (2 card monte!) Also great!
At my first Magic Convention in 1958 I joined agroup of magicians walking to a cefeteria down the street. A stanger ran up, asked if we were magicians, and said he wanted to see something spectacular. One of our crowd motioned for space, whirled his jacket to show it was empty and allowed it to settle on the sidewalk. Underneath was an large object! We all stared in wonder and anticipation was he whisked the coat away. His shoe!

The stranger walked away in a huff as we all laughed. Then this guy said, "He should have waited," picked up the shoe, reached inside and pulled out a can of sardines. Then a banana, Then an egg. I sat across from him during dinner and just listened. I don't know his name. Bert ...
[quote]
On 2008-02-27 01:16, Hansel wrote:
Hi Mr Sanders:
With ALL my respect,Why you prefers to avoid the situation?
Thanks,
Hansel!
[/quote]

Hansel,

Good question!

I'm a stage magician!

Of course, the question does get asked. Vanishing a coin is a quick and dirty out. Actually I prefer using their deck of cards and doing an impromptu Out of This World when possible. (Then their cards are obviously "Magic Cards".)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Great story Funsway!!