(Close Window)
Topic: Talk About Tricks Favorites?
Ok its been a while so I was wondering what are some of you guy's Favorites? Now this can come from either the DVD set, Sessions, or 2007 Magic Magizine? Just curious, a year is almost passed and wanted to know what some of you have added to your arsenal. Me among many
Oil and Water Disc 1 from the DVD
and recently 2-4-2 from Disc one. Now as far as the magizines there are a few I just cant remember the names. What say the Café?
Also does anyone know if the Disc Set has any Easter Eggs?
Laser ace! It is a great trick. I love it.
[quote]
On 2007-12-17 03:34, paisa23 wrote:
Also does anyone know if the Disc Set has any Easter Eggs?
[/quote]
Oil and Water for me as well.

I don't think there is. I've looked and couldn't find any.
I've only watched volume one so far, but I don't like it.

Don't get me wrong, the material's good, as is the quality of teaching and production. It's also one of the most enjoyable dvd's I've watched in a long while. But, that's why I don't like it. Here's the story:

I got these in the mail today, just as I was getting ready to go meet some friends. I popped volume one in to watch for a second while I was getting dressed (try not to visualize it) but after it was over I realized I wanted to see the explanation. So, I decided to be a LITTLE late. Once it was done (the oil and water, which I agree is fantastic) I decided to watch one more trick. One thing led to another and I ended up watching the whole darn thing.

Now my friends are mad at me.

Thanks a lot Josh.

Highlites?
Easy Oil and Water
Outjogged Oil and Water
Reflipped
Miumph

Non-magic highlites-
Rune Klan and Josh joking around. The comments about the ditching the coin in the breast pocket were very very funny, as was the whole performance of Greg's Kiss trick.

I'm on volume 2 right now, and I'm loving the Lassar prediction (which, I won't lie, fooled me. I decided not to watch the explanation yet... wait till the end)

I'll post my thoughts on the set when I'm done.

Ben
p.s.
My one real complaint? I didn't get a Josh Jay one man show promo... ;)
I love these dvd's.

For me the oil & water routine is excellent but the best trick on there which is worth the price of the whole set is Laser Aces. You can't ask for better reactions to a trick than with this one. Every time I perform it no one can believe it and they play with the blocks for hours!

Keep up the good work Josh!
Message: Posted by: Alejandro Peterson (Dec 20, 2007 08:43AM)
I also love laser aces, and Im amazed with the effects performed by Jay with the overlap card.,the move teached to Jay by Bill Malone (Credited to Ed Marlo for oil and water is priceless).
Great Set!!
I can't believe nobody mentioned Rune Klan's Impromptu Hitman yet...
I freaking Love Hit man, and what more I love watching him do it, he is too funny. I have to rearrange it because I am a left and cant do the pen move with the other hand.
[quote]
On 2007-12-21 01:10, paisa23 wrote:
I freaking Love Hit man, and what more I love watching him do it, he is too funny. I have to rearrange it because I am a left and cant do the pen move with the other hand.
[/quote]

The only thing still tripping me up is the coin bouncing off of the knee; it's still hit or miss, so I tend toe leave it out. Shame though, because it's the most visual moment in the routine.
For that coin on knee move, try and release the coin as CLOSE TO THE KNEE AS POSSIBLE. This reduces the chances that the coin will wobble vertically and hit your knee on a weird angle. He actually doesn't bring this up on the video, but you'll have better success with it if you try it this way.

Thanks Ben, for your kind words. Glad it arrived safely to you and I hope you enjoy the rest of it. My apologies to your friends!

Josh
Josh, thanks for the quick reply, I'll definitely give it a shot.

BTW, LOVED the essay on magic and film!
Now that I've finished the set, there are a couple of things I am surprised no one has mentioned yet. I'm certainly not going to point them out though, and I hope they remain on the DL for as long as possible.

All in all, the tapes were a joy to watch (literally, in some case, entertaining- rare for an instructional tape) and contained some ideas, routines, and thoughts that hopefully will motivate you to work and inspire you to play. Part of the value of the set will be determined by how familiar you already are with the Talk About tricks column. Saying that- I have most of the Talk about tricks (I started collecting them in 2000, because of the talk about trick column- at that time compiled by Racherbaumer- but was won over because of Josh) and still got a great bang for my buck.

Recommended.

Ben
p.s.
Thanks again Josh. If you ever come down to Toronto, the first rounds on me.