(Close Window)
Topic: Swallowing needles & razor blades
I need a good reference for this, I have some older methods that just won't work for me. I'm talking along the lines of the David Williamson needle swallowing. :dance:
I swallow needles, and I've also swallowed razor blades, which do you prefer to do since there are many resources out there to do it.
I am actually interested in both,any references you can give me would be greatly appreciated. :dance:
I've sent you E-mail, since I didn't know how long the post would be if I wrote it out in the forum.
Thank you Magicman for all your help! I'm still trying to find a resource for a routine using a clear glass & the spectator puts the needles in the glass.The glass can be examined after the needles are swallowed.

This is driving me nuts! :mad:
if you need a place to read somethingís about this routine (a glass, and the needles) just check for the Jim Steinmeyer book called "Device and Illusion" this is problably the inspiration behind the Mr Williamson presentation... I hope this will help a bit

"mentalism is not boring...

itís the mentalist!!!"

K
Thanx Kuffs! :dance:
Have you tried Tarbells Magic vol 4 page 103.

I paid about $30 for swallowing blades effect only to find it was similar to the one in Tarbells.

:pout:

Magiker
I'm pretty sure that is one of the older methods of which I know how to do.

I think that the recommendation by Kuffs is what I'm looking for.
When I first started magic I bought a booklet entitiled 'Mahendra's Needle Routine'. I learnt the trick and used it as part of my act on the obligatory Newcomer's Night at my local magic club. A couple of the members approached me afterwards to say how impressed with how clean the load had been. When I explained the technique they were impressed but felt that it was potentially dangerous. I'm not so sure. Well, yes, it might be, but only if you were unlucky enough to have a seizure on stage.

Anyway, I don't know how much more I can say about the trick on the noticeboard (it looks and reads like a very old routine). If you want to know more/if I'm allowed to say more, then just let me know.
Email or private message Ichazod, I'm sure he would be interested.

:nose:
Thanx for the help :bg:

:devilish:
Strange thing about razor blades - I once worked on suicide watch where a guy swallowed a bunch of razor blades and I was talking to the doctors and they said that stomach acid would dissolve a razor blade almost instantly. Something about the acid corroding the metal and breaking it apart. They told me the most dangerous part was the razors going down the esophagus. :realnerdy:
Check out Sid Fleischman's "Charlatan's Handbook" for a No-switch method for needle swallowing.

It's diabolical!!
Thanx for the suggestion, I just spotted that book in my L&L catalogue & was wondering about it.
Otto Wessely takes razor blades swallowing to a whoooole different level. He must be using over a hundred of them.
Hi,

I'm interested in making a start on
needle/razor blade swallowing :wow:
Anyone able to help with some useful resources?

Cheers

Calum
Sid Fleischman's idea is diabolical, but caution is the watchword if you use his method. Use only the best, tested materials and then think before leaping. I don't know if stomach acid will do the job on needles but I wouldn't want to be the first to find out. Is the effect worth the risk? Hunter
I know that this has been a while since anyone brought it up, but Tim Ellis has a wonderful version of the blades in his lecture notes, but I'm not sure which notes (he only has two out). Check his website @:
http://www.magicunlimited.com

Hope this helps anyone that might need it.
Rick
Missing_Link, In another post you told me abought Andrew Mayne has a book out called "Shock Magic" and I belive that it has a method for swallowing razerbledes there.
-Kris :bat:
Hi Kris

Yep - since my post in March enquiring about doing blades, I have learned 2 different versions, including Andrew Mayne's which is my current favourite. I'm not too keen on the versions that require the use of a blade stand etc.

I'll not tip the method - but an ideal container for keeping the blades in is a razor blade box - you know, the small match-box sized container they are sometimes sold in. It can be easy to gimmick and adds a certain authenticity to the whole thing - after all, who normally puts razor blades in a specially constructed stand?

More to the point, the box is very portable and works well in both my street and club shows.

Cheers

ML
I have tried to add the razor blades into my act, however, in practice they occasionally bind or tangle on the way out. I won't add them in until I can find a way to thread them without every binding. If anyone has suggestions of ways to thread them so they won't tangle or snag it would be greatly appreciated.
InfernosMG@aol.com :arg:
I was given an old version of the trick with the blades supplied, but then found it's much more realistic if you use genuine razor blades blunted on a file or abrasive paper.

Tim
Otto Wessely famous Razor blade's act :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz8rxbHWVg0
Check out Steve Spill's routine from his "Confessions Of A Needle Swallower" DVD
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 7, 2010 01:48AM)
And Bizzaro's Helter Shelter DVD.
[quote]
On 2010-05-07 02:48, MagiciennesUnlimited wrote:
And Bizzaro's Helter Shelter DVD.
[/quote]

Didn't realize there was a DVD, but the book is excellent

-Clay
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 7, 2010 04:59PM)
Yep, the DVD is campy and fun to watch. It features Randi Rain as well. Biz gave my daughter a copy when he heard she does the razor blades. (She was 8 when she learned, she's 10 now) :)

I'm a proud ma.
Of the two effects, needles or blades, which do you feel gets a better reaction? Or are they on a par with eachother?

I've recently started looking into this act, but I'm not sure which way to go. Needles are a classic. Razor blades more contemporary. However, blades are changing all the time and most razors have the modern blade rather than the flat style. Yet needles will always be the same.

At the moment I'm siding more towards needles. But I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Cheers,

Ros
It's all a matter of style, but the best explanation I've heard that made sense to me is that needles is much stronger from an audience perspective. There is an inherent visual reason for this, blades are flat and no matter how hard you try the audience will never all see the blades the way they are intended due to angles there is always going to be someone that "views" the blade in a way that it doesn't even look like it's there to them since the blade has no depth to it, in that situation the light can't even reflect of that surface since there really is no depth to it. Now needles on the other are round and are refracting light from all angles, with the exception of being directly above you and directly below you, if that's where your audience is actually sitting well.......then you're doing a weird show and I have no advice for you :) But again its all a matter of the image you want to portray. Don't really think of it in classic or contemporary, either one is "new" to the specs. Most of them don't know the history of the effect so that's not how they're viewing it. Each routine is only as powerful as you make it. I've seen both done very well and both done very poorly. I myself prefer needles.
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 15, 2010 11:53AM)
Heya Ros, I do both, and love both, but personally find that blades are far more visual than the needles, and so I use that routine more. I've been told this by many specs...They have suggested putting little paper tags on the needles so they can be seen! rotflmao...

The needles are also more dangerous, being so small, round, n' slippery. There was a thread here where someone shared their 'accidental swallowed needle' story, and it was a nightmare. If you are using the more dangerous method, I suggest a small flat mag to keep those little buggers where they are supposed to be. Better yet, talk to your dentist/denturist (I found one who's willing to make my molar cap -which I need anyway- with a mag in it ;)

You don't want to know what I've asked the plastic surgeon... ;p

HUGS!
Sia.... Oh yes I do!!!! And I'm sure the other guys here will agree ;) (cue Dave Matkin)

Anyway, back to the thread topic.

It seems it really is a matter of taste. Both being more visual than the other.. What kind of crazy dimension are we living in!

I think I'll go needles as they just seem to fit me more. I like the history of the effect and could use this as a pressentational angle... But then I do love blades too. Hmmmm.. Maybe I should learn both and just try em out.

No such thing as worthless knowledge after all.

Cheers,

Ros
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 15, 2010 03:22PM)
It's the big green Twilight Zone. ;) Truly a matter of individual taste...mmmmm metal. Let us know which you like better ;)

To answer your question: Finger mag implants, a tube-like throat implant, and a interesting placement of extra skin with a graft...oh, and boobs. I had a reduction after my daughter, and miss my pre-kid boobs.

Speaking of boobs...the new Playboy is in 3D. Which is pretty darn awesome.
Razor blades & boobs.
We hit two levels of compatibility!
Twenty five to go ;)
Sia, you are a tease ;)

Seriously though the implants sound very interesting. So you'll have magnetic fingers? that's seriously cool. So many effects, so little time!

The throat implant has thrown me a bit though. Would love to know more. Obviously if it classes as methods of something then feel free to pm.

Laters,

Ros
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 15, 2010 10:22PM)
Essentially, I'll be Magneto. ;) They are actually pretty weak mags, with each implant only able to hold a safety pin (or needle for swallowing ;) ;)...BUT you become a human live wire detector. Have you ever worn a PK ring and put your hand near a breaker box? The whole hand 'buzzes'. Pretty nifty. Hey if this career doesn't work out, I could always find an electrician...with a vore fetish...lol...

These implants are still pretty new in the bod mod world, and so much fun, because they are hidden. A friend in Edmonton got one finger mag while she was in Vegas...and thus, beat me to it...but I'll have all 4 on my left hand done...for four needles...for one magic effect...

Which brings me to the throat tube...

A couple of years ago I created a 'trick' called 'Sewn'. 4 needles go in the mouth and are cut, from my neck, and pulled out tied one by one. (To anyone reading this, don't even think of doing it...it's MINE, and the big boys in magic know it's mine ;)...but the throat tube was so I could do it ...for real.

The Doc said it would never heal right, so I scrapped that idea.

Once I tried to yogi needles, alone. I called it 'Gout'...hahaha. Considering the location I chose, it was a pretty dumb move on my part (I refer you to the video of my surgery 'Sia Synn in an Act Gone Icky' on YouTube...lol)...not as dumb, was the time I yogied my neck...forgetting there is a pretty important artery in that area. Interior scars are still there. Creating new sideshow angles can be a bit painful ;)

Moral of this story: Don't be a Silly Sia... ;) and Reading what I just wrote, I do realize that I may come off a bit crazy. That's ok. I'm pretty sure I am.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

xo
[quote]
On 2010-05-15 23:22, MagiciennesUnlimited wrote:
Essentially, I'll be Magneto. ;) They are actually pretty weak mags, with each implant only able to hold a safety pin (or needle for swallowing ;) ;)...BUT you become a human live wire detector. Have you ever worn a PK ring and put your hand near a breaker box? The whole hand 'buzzes'. Pretty nifty. Hey if this career doesn't work out, I could always find an electrician...with a vore fetish...lol...

These implants are still pretty new in the bod mod world, and so much fun, because they are hidden. A friend in Edmonton got one finger mag while she was in Vegas...and thus, beat me to it...but I'll have all 4 on my left hand done...for four needles...for one magic effect...

Which brings me to the throat tube...

A couple of years ago I created a 'trick' called 'Sewn'. 4 needles go in the mouth and are cut, from my neck, and pulled out tied one by one. (To anyone reading this, don't even think of doing it...it's MINE, and the big boys in magic know it's mine ;)...but the throat tube was so I could do it ...for real.

The Doc said it would never heal right, so I scrapped that idea.

Once I tried to yogi needles, alone. I called it 'Gout'...hahaha. Considering the location I chose, it was a pretty dumb move on my part (I refer you to the video of my surgery 'Sia Synn in an Act Gone Icky' on YouTube...lol)...not as dumb, was the time I yogied my neck...forgetting there is a pretty important artery in that area. Interior scars are still there. Creating new sideshow angles can be a bit painful ;)

Moral of this story: Don't be a Silly Sia... ;) and Reading what I just wrote, I do realize that I may come off a bit crazy. That's ok. I'm pretty sure I am.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

xo
[/quote]

Shhhh, d@mnit.
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 15, 2010 11:02PM)
I'm running on 10 hours combined sleep since Tuesday superstar.... Did I do a naughty?

I don't think there's any exposure there. Well, maybe a bit of my own effect...lol
Crazy? Maybe, but that's why we all love ya.

The whole finger mag thing is great. You are essentially a pk human!

Take it easy and for gods sake SLEEP!!!
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (May 17, 2010 08:07AM)
Sia, stay away from: TV's and monitors, electric motors, credit cards, and Dave Matikin. I hear he is magnet-sensitive.
This routine probably originated in India, using beads. It arrived in the UK, circa 1813, but changed. The performer used pearls, and so ended up with a necklace.
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 17, 2010 09:45AM)
My favorite new version of this is Bizzaro's 'Lite Snack'. His is the best version of lit bulbs from mouth I've seen.

The Indian routine sounds great! I love pearl necklaces.... I can't believe I'm writing that.

I've debated using my right hand Nipps, I hold my life (my PDA) in my left...I foresee many bank card wipes til I get used to them.

I'll steer clear of Dave, lol
I never thought of the pearls and pins being the same effect, but I guess they are.

Is Lite Snack publically available? Or perhaps a video of Bizzaro doing it? I don't think I've seen a lit bulbs from mouth before. Sounds cool!

Nips, Dave's certainly something. Don't know if he's magnet sensitive though. I suppose it depends on how hard you throw them at him :P
[quote]
On 2010-05-17 16:30, Roslyn wrote:
I never thought of the pearls and pins being the same effect, but I guess they are.

Is Lite Snack publically available? Or perhaps a video of Bizzaro doing it? I don't think I've seen a lit bulbs from mouth before. Sounds cool!

Nips, Dave's certainly something. Don't know if he's magnet sensitive though. I suppose it depends on how hard you throw them at him :P
[/quote]

Oh p!ss off Ros ( :) ) ... I'm still thinking about boobs and pear neclaces .... you lot can go on about side show and stuff and I am staying with real antiques and the boobs - you have to really watch out some one will take you for a mark any chance they get adn sell you somehting that is not really an antique! I was nearly sold this mobile for a kids bed ...... well that wasnt needed after all .... and I did not buy it ..... lovely round shiny objects cathcing the light and making little rainbows - they even had holes in the middle to hang them from the cross over rods. I nealy bought it from that antique shop ..... then I relaised ....... they didn't have cat gut fishing wire back in the 20s! They nearly got me with that one!
[quote]
On 2010-05-17 09:07, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Sia, stay away from: TV's and monitors, electric motors, credit cards, and Dave Matikin. I hear he is magnet-sensitive.
[/quote]

Out of the hundred or so people that have them (including several students at MIT) have reported that while the magnets are incredibly strong for their size, they do not damage "magnetic sensitive" objects.
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 17, 2010 04:03PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-fa0rplmE - Bizzaro's Light snacks

That's from the show Brett was on, I believe :)

I don't think it's on the market.
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 17, 2010 04:04PM)
[quote]
On 2010-05-17 17:02, Freak Prodigy wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-05-17 09:07, thegreatnippulini wrote:
[/quote]

Out of the hundred or so people that have them (including several students at MIT) have reported that while the magnets are incredibly strong for their size, they do not damage "magnetic sensitive" objects.
[/quote]

Good to know ;)
There he is :D

Wondered how long it'd be before you popped your head round the door.

I'm glad to see you've got your priorities in order.

Although for a moment I did think you were going to start talking about topless OAPs when you combined boobs and antiques in one sentence.... Now there's an idea for the zib tent.

Now I would come up with some witty insult to fire back at you, but I'm going to watch Derren take down some fake psychics. Always good for a laugh :)
So, Dave and Ros are now in discussion about who's attractive, and who's repulsive?

I'm willing to field questions, though I've never met either one of them.

I heard that Ros is dipolar, and Dave mono.
[quote]
On 2010-05-17 17:03, MagiciennesUnlimited wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-fa0rplmE - Bizzaro's Light snacks

That's from the show Brett was on, I believe :)

I don't think it's on the market.
[/quote]

Yep, I was there. :)

It's not on the market, Biz just created it fairly recently. He mentioned that possibly in the future he will make it available.
LOL Harley!!

Attractive, repulsive, dipolar. Very good. Took me a couple of reads, but got it eventually. :D
Thanks for the link Sia. Cool routine.
Lightbulbs-from-mouth was around, I think, in about the mid 80s. I got a set then, from Flosso Magic.

I shall never forget that store, packed to the gills with everything. Jackie Flosso was running it. He said he knew he had it somewhere, and he did.

Now I'm going to have to find it. I think I know where it is. But my barn has a lot of boxes.
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 17, 2010 07:07PM)
Cool! I hope you find it Harley. I'm super curious! :)
And no probs Ros :)
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (May 18, 2010 01:03PM)
For anyone interested, I can produce a more edible razor blade.
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 18, 2010 01:59PM)
Really?

Or am I just being gullible? ... ;p
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (May 18, 2010 03:21PM)
No you're not gullible (that I know of), it's a special heat treatment that makes them similar to lightbulb in brittleness. I have some bugs to work out with the treatment as it tends to make the blade edge all wavy.
So you could actually eat them?

Would they be too brittle to have examined?
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 18, 2010 04:15PM)
GET.
OUT.

I'm in!.... and not broke for once! ;D Keep me posted!
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (May 19, 2010 07:55AM)
If a spectator tried to bend it, it will break. If you used it to slice a piece of paper, it will! My biggest concern is the digestion of metal shards. I don't know how we get away with glass, but maybe our resident medic (Jeremy) could add some insight. After some good R&D I will probably market the gimmick.
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 19, 2010 03:42PM)
I'll be a buyer. I wonder if you could test the blades in bile...ewwwwwwwwwwwwww
There is an easier way to make edible razor blades... more or less.
In here, people just turn into real black magic practice which will allow you to do extreme things such as eating razor blades (real one, not a prop or gimmick), eating glasses (again, real one, comes from a whole bottle and you can break them into pieces and start eating them), also stab through your arms using blades, long nails, needles, etc.

However, it will require some deep and serious meditations also some practices that will take you to the dark side :)

The most famous one is called Kuda Lumping, and they usually perform this for tourists.
And you have just stumbled into a part of the forums where this is pretty much the norm. I know of at least four glass eaters who post here, a couple who do horiffic piercings, glasswalkers, fire eaters, sword swallowers and even worse.
Some of us use meditative techniques, many of us just do it.
I will however have to look up Kuda Lumping. Any links?
Gwyd
http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/culture/kuda-lumping-a-spirited-glass-eating-javanese-game-of-horse/364068

There are some videos on YouTube, worth watching. The sense of ritual is very different than what we do in western civilization. Black magic practice? Of all the performers I know (a lot), not one makes such claims.

People who know little about it, often make a lot of claims.
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 21, 2010 08:34AM)
[quote]
On 2010-05-21 07:45, Failed Magician wrote:
In here, people just turn into real black magic practice which will allow you to do extreme things such as eating razor blades (real one, not a prop or gimmick), eating glasses (again, real one, comes from a whole bottle and you can break them into pieces and start eating them), also stab through your arms using blades, long nails, needles, etc.

However, it will require some deep and serious meditations also some practices that will take you to the dark side :)

The most famous one is called Kuda Lumping, and they usually perform this for tourists.
[/quote]
To chime in...There is NO such thing as black magic, and I don't know a single performer who claims it for their act either.
I practice Green Magic in my shows as all of the glass is recycled.
Does that count?
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (May 21, 2010 11:36AM)
I've eaten some lightbulbs in my time. Lifted 70+ pounds with piercings in my chest. Pushed skewers through my flesh. I don't recall ever relying on any type of magic, black, white, purple or otherwise. As a BLACKsmith my work retains the magic of my creativity and passion for metal, and that's where TRUE magic lies. Otherwise, Failed.. I have no idea what you are talking about.
Blacksmiths were called magicians, in quite a few places in the world, in more "primitive" times.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (May 21, 2010 01:49PM)
This is true. This fact comes from the ability of the smith to transmute ore bearing rock into a myriad of items and tools. Also, the forging process can be quite magical and astounding. Do an image search for "forge weld" and you'll see.
...and playing with fire.
I'm still waiting for him to chime back in with, "Guys, I was only joking."

Guess I'm an optimist.
Maybe he thinks that since we're possessed, we could pass it along through a DG thread?

Seriously though, check some of the videos. It's interesting to see how the timing differs, given the parameters of the performance.
Well, I didn't mean to create any controversial topic here. And I respect performers who had trained themselves so they can swallow swords, eat glasses, push skewers through their bodies, etc, etc.

But there are two ways of doing these. Firstly, as many have done in here, through training, and serious meditation. Or second, use the black magic practice. So it means, these acts could be done on any random people who are willing to be possessed by some spirits.

I know it's hard to believe for some culture about the real black magic. But in here people sometimes use it for something bad. Example if I don't like a guy, really hate him, I could go see a shaman and he/she will "send" some sharp items into this guy's body.

That's why people could end up bleeding to death and doctor will find nothing. But if the victim also see another shaman, this shaman would be able to pull out strange things from their bodies, usually rotten nails, rotten razor blades, glasses, etc. We call it "Santet". It is hard to believe as this has to be seen by our own eyes. If only reading from stories, many would become skeptical, and I still respect it.
You. Are. Wrong.
Well, that's ok, everyone's opinion in here is valid.

Just an interesting fact, once a friend of mine gave me a spell. With this spell, I can make an egg, any egg, not prepared, not a prop to have a strong shell. That to break it you have to use your both hands and really crush it into your palm.

Of course I was so skeptical, so when I went home that day I took two random eggs. I asked my gardener to pick any of the egg and crush it without me having read a spell. I was crushed like a butter. Then I took the second egg, bring it close to my mouth and I whispered the spell. This time I asked him to do the same, he couldn't. He said it felt like a stone.

So he then used both of his hands and put a lot of pressures on it. It took him almost a minute to break it. Still being a skeptical, I tried it couple of more times at my friends' house using random eggs from their fridge. Worked the same.

Tried it on my aunty, worked the same. I still remember the spell until now and will try it on my westerner friends later.

I don't know what force that keeps the egg shell that strong. I didn't even tell them about the shell, in case their minds will manipulate so they couldn't have enough strength to crush it. But it always works. I even tried it with three eggs where the first two were easily crushed by my friend. No prop, no preparation, real eggs, any eggs. It has always been a temptation for me to try it in a grocery store here but I don't think they will like the mess.
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 21, 2010 10:55PM)
Sounds like the egg trick to me.
Hey Failed Magician, I know a guy that will give you $1,000,000 USD if you can do that for him under test conditions.

But, even if you got past the preliminary stages to do so, you won't get the million dollars. Because what you allegedly doing, wether you know it or not, is a simple trick and can be proved as such.

Not my opinion, not anyone else's opinion that has already chimed in here, this is fact.

Here's the application, go for it.
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge/challenge-application.html

Brett.
Nope, I guarantee you this is not a prop egg or prepared egg. I can do this with any random eggs you choose from anywhere. I kid you not.

If it's a trick using prepared egg, I will admit it in here as all of us here are magicians so I'll be honest. But this one doesn't use a prop egg. I don't even know what egg trick is.

I got the spell around 1992 or 1993 when I was still in college or high school.
[quote]
On 2010-05-21 23:55, MagiciennesUnlimited wrote:
Sounds like the egg trick to me.
[/quote]

I love you.
No one said it's a prop or prepared.
Can you share this spell with us, so we can test it ourselves?
Sure, will send it in PM with instruction. I just really hope it works because it always does with me.
Sent. Let me know the result.
FailedMagician where you are from and what area you live in now? Thanks.
Does this spell arrange for the help of hantu?
Harley, check your PM box.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (May 22, 2010 08:55AM)
I want it too!

Failed..... you need to stop watching X-Files as if it is the gospel. You say you are a failed magician, well you are well on your way to being a failed human.
Failed Magician, you truly are a beautiful person. Reading your posts has been a bit of a giggle but I think you might like to watch this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7VKyL7QGuI&feature=youtube_gdata -- I don't think they've used a spell.

There are loads more videos on YouTube covering the same thing.

Have a good one,

Ros
You should not mock, as I too am into Black Magic,,,I like the soft centred ones best.
Yes and I do the egg trick !! You have to follow the spell eggzactly or it wont work.
Im not going to egg you on to doing this as only eggheads are capable of pulling it off,,,should you fail of course the yolk would be on you.

So don't scoff at things beyond belief eggotistical eggsentrics are not to be scrambled with.

Work the stunt in April and you could say its an Easter Egg stunt or maybe April fool !!!
Thanks Roslyn! It explains a lot. It still makes me wonder tho because they really crush the egg at the first time but not at the second time. I even didn't tell them how to do it, just casually crush it.

I think I gotta do it again soon. I haven't done this for ages.
[quote]
On 2010-05-22 03:42, Stephon wrote:
[/quote]
Indonesia :)
[quote]
On 2010-05-22 05:47, Harley Newman wrote:
Does this spell arrange for the help of hantu?
[/quote]
That's what they believe. But then seeing the demo on Youtube, it now makes me wonder which one is true.
All a bit of an Eggnigma if you ask me !
Ooo Ooo me too, I want to play with eggs, someone please send me the poem!
Back to the thread's topic...

I bought both the Helter Shelter DVD and Steve Spill's DVD. Both are great and both have a lot to offer and I'd recommend anyone unsure of which way they want to go to get both.

What swings it for me are the props, or lack of them. With the needles you simply have a bunch of needles and some thread. Nothing more.

With the razors there generally seems to be more props used. A stand, a glass, a bag, a piece of paper all before the razor blades and the thread.

I like the simplicity of Steve's needles. Maybe because in everything else I do I have stupid amounts of props. Straitjackets, chains, cuffs, fire torches, unicycles... The list goes on. But with this I just get to carry a packet of needles and some thread.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions... Now I'm off to cast a spell on a chicken and try to crush it with my bare hands, before filling it with blades and performing some psychic surgery on it.

Have a great weekend :)
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 22, 2010 10:33AM)
Brett, right back at cha...where's MY PM? ;) I want it!

Ros, You SO rock, great link :)

Back to the needles and blades, there is a way to do the blades without any stands or props (that's how I roll ;) . I'll PM you. :)
Sia, just doing my bit for the good of mankind ;) -- It doesn't work on chickens btw.

Thanks for the pm. Great idea.
You can stop the sarcasm now :)

I think I was conned by my friend or he was also conned by others as he told me that he got it from someone else.

I feel embarrassed that I was so sure it was under a spell.

But the fact why the people I asked were able to crush the first eggs but not the second ones, I have no idea.

Have a good one, people.
We have all had egg over our faces at one time or another so don't feel bad,,,next time consult an eggspert !
Hey FM,

Don't take it personally. I know of one guy who was glad you dropped by and took some of the heat off him for a while.....

... Now where has Dave got to? Ken, you haven't put him in that Wendy house again have you? You know how long it took him to get out last time!
It's all innocent joking FM, sorry if it was taken personally wasn't meant to be that way. Sometimes the lines between truth and reality do get blurred and it can be difficult to tell which is which. I wish the best in all your endeavors and hope you weren't turned off by this section of the forum. We do tend to joke around quite a bit and that sometimes doesn't translate well online.
With all the talk of razor blade trick, I am surprised Otto Wessely's incredible routine hasn't pooped up. Otto is a wild comedy magician, but his routine is spectacular. Unfortunately,It is in French so I can't understand everything said, but you don't need it to get the razor part of his routine.

Le Repas De La Mort http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz8rxbHWVg0
[quote]
On 2010-05-23 19:40, BostonBlackie wrote:
With all the talk of razor blade trick, I am surprised Otto Wessely's incredible routine hasn't pooped up. Otto is a wild comedy magician, but his routine is spectacular. Unfortunately,It is in French so I can't understand everything said, but you don't need it to get the razor part of his routine.

Le Repas De La Mort http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz8rxbHWVg0
[/quote]

That was cool. Love the shear amount of blades that go in and come out.

So many times you see 5 or so blades, but I lost count!!

If you don't want to sit through the whole thing the blades start at about 3 minutes(ish).

Thanks for the link :)
I am a fan of Spill's needle effect. It begins and end clean -- very compact. I changed the enclosed needle carrier to a "Needle Nest" I found in a sewing store, but none of the handling.
If like me you weren't sure of what a needle nest is it's one of these -- http://www.burdastyle.com/projects/needle-nests

Doesn't really fit my style, but definitely a nice idea.

On a separate note I found this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBE-Si0TMqI&feature=youtube_gdata -- Its Teller's take on the needles. I like the eating the apple bit after he's swallowed the needles. Great way to prove his mouth is empty. I also like the fact he uses a longer thread and loads of needles.

The regurgitation of one needle was also a nice tough I thought.

Anyway, my research continues :)
[quote]
On 2010-05-21 23:43, Failed Magician wrote:
Well, that's ok, everyone's opinion in here is valid.

Tried it on my aunty, worked the same. I still remember the spell until now and will try it on my westerner friends later.

[/quote]

Did he manage to smash her with two hands but it took a minute? I can not believe you got some guys to try adn crush your aunti with their bare hands! Man my Aunti would kill me if I tried that with her .... she a big woman! She may well end up ramming a sword down my throat and me bleeding to death!
[quote]
On 2010-05-22 03:42, Stephon wrote:
[/quote]

YES what said he!
Confessions of a Needle Swallower gets my vote.
[quote]
On 2010-05-23 15:13, Danny Borneo wrote:
It's all innocent joking FM, sorry if it was taken personally wasn't meant to be that way. Sometimes the lines between truth and reality do get blurred and it can be difficult to tell which is which. I wish the best in all your endeavors and hope you weren't turned off by this section of the forum. We do tend to joke around quite a bit and that sometimes doesn't translate well online.
[/quote]

Actually Danny is full of it! We don't "tend to joke around quite a bit" ..... we do it a lot and very occasionally we say something serious! :)

He is correctt hat it does tend to get lost in translation to the web. It is a risk of the digital age ..... hence why the smilies can be oh so useful ..... :) :) :) :)

All the best

Dave
Bob Kohler just put out Scott Alexander's routine called "The Blades" and there has been quite a discussion about it on another thread here in the Cafť. Sells for $795! Man, you could buy a lot of razor blades AND needles AND thread for $795!

The link is: https://www.bobkohlermagic.com/view-product.cfm?productid=65
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 28, 2010 01:04AM)
Seriously. Wow.

I don't think I'd pay for any routine, and in this case, I already know all possible blade methods...I get what they are trying to do...but if you can't build your own act around your chosen method (they all work well, this one won't be 'special'), why even do it?
If it was really to do with protecting secrets then it wouldn't be being sold at all.
Umm, did my comment get deleted?
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (May 28, 2010 04:09PM)
Ooooo...is that happening around here AGAIN? The only thing ...well, not the ONLY thing...I hate about this big green monster.

Re-post it Danny?
Monster? Here?

<runs screaming like a girl>

... But I do like the colour green so maybe we could be mates :)
[quote]
On 2010-05-28 06:28, Danny Borneo wrote:
Umm, did my comment get deleted?
[/quote]

Which one Danny? The comment about "how great I am" ... or something that is true?

just re-porst it but in code or soemthign? Or use mi spesshal speling that I kaem up with joost the uthre dae.

me I'm off to spend nearly £800 on razor blades needles and thread .... I want to know how much you can get for that sort of money ...... are we takling Gillette (http://www.catclinic.co.uk/images/images2008/gilette.JPG) or wilkinson sword? or other (http://sidesalad.net/archives/ex34.jpg) Cus some of thoes are quite expensive!

Oh and this made me smile .....
http://randazza.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/shaving-beaver.jpg

Have a good weeked
I did razor blades in my show for a long time an used a combination of methods for load and ditch from a few different sources. It was mentioned though in a discussion I remember, that razor blades threaded together really made little sense; but needles on thread were a logical progression.
[quote]
On 2010-05-30 02:33, MagicbyCarlo wrote:
I did razor blades in my show for a long time an used a combination of methods for load and ditch from a few different sources. It was mentioned though in a discussion I remember, that razor blades threaded together really made little sense; but needles on thread were a logical progression.
[/quote]
To be fair, producing doves and candles or hammering a spike in your face and all of the other weirdness performers do doesn't make sense either to a lot of people. We do have some leeway to be eccentric.
If you tell your story well, it will make sense to any audience.

If you don't have a story, you're just showing off.
I really hope that it didn't get deleted because I was expressing an opinion on a product.

Basically I had said that I found this part of the description very interesting.

"Unlike more recent Pro Line products, you are buying only a license (i.e. legal permission) to perform Scott's masterpiece. We include the props as a bonus."

Considering that this item doesn't even have a demo video and that there are some very slick explanations as to why they can't post a demo of it.

I want to clarify that I really do think that Scott is an awesome performer and great thinker. I loved his Midnight Show DVD, but how can anyone be expected to shell out that kind of cash sight unseen? Very reminiscent of the whole Paul Harris "Little Man" debacle.
Hmmmm. Maybe someone can create an effect with a little clay man who swallows razor blades ....
[quote]
On 2010-05-30 23:03, Stucky wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-05-30 02:33, MagicbyCarlo wrote:
[/quote]
To be fair, producing doves and candles or hammering a spike in your face and all of the other weirdness performers do doesn't make sense either to a lot of people. We do have some leeway to be eccentric.
[/quote]
I tend to agree, Stucky. No one in my audience ever openly questioned "why razor blades?". I just thought the perspective on the preference for needles was an interesting and sensible one.
I prefer blades myself because I think they seem more dangerous which is what I'm looking for in this type effect.
[quote]
On 2010-05-31 10:08, Danny Borneo wrote:
I really hope that it didn't get deleted because I was expressing an opinion on a product.

Basically I had said that I found this part of the description very interesting.

"Unlike more recent Pro Line products, you are buying only a license (i.e. legal permission) to perform Scott's masterpiece. We include the props as a bonus."

Considering that this item doesn't even have a demo video and that there are some very slick explanations as to why they can't post a demo of it.

I want to clarify that I really do think that Scott is an awesome performer and great thinker. I loved his Midnight Show DVD, but how can anyone be expected to shell out that kind of cash sight unseen? Very reminiscent of the whole Paul Harris "Little Man" debacle.
[/quote]
I think speculating on this "demo" issue is a bit moot. Would the routine be worth the $800 if there were a slick demo?
I think Bob Kohler is clear on this in his explaination and I'm sure that there is a balance of financial and artistic protective motives here. I don't take issue with any of that.
As a consumer, you have a choice, and if you're not comfortable with the advertising, terms of use, etc. then you should steer away from the product and find something within your comfort zone.

On items like this I would love to see a 30 day unconditional money back guarantee OR since you are "paying for the routine" an option to buy the method and gimmick without the routine; but let's face it, you're buying a package and the gimmick, handling and routine are all integral. The idea that you're "only paying for the routine" and that it "protects" you from exposure is marketing strategy, nothing more.
I'm a fan of Scott and Bob's releases, but I will wait on this until more information/reviews are out. An item like this is a R.O.I. item and I want to know that this will become a regular part of my performing repertoire before purchasing.
Carlo, I can sell you a blockhead routine for under $500. Included will be a manual, DVD, a free stainless steel specialized blockheading nail, and online support.
I guess the effect is the same as all blade swallowing acts, the blades go in followed by thread and then they come out tied to the thread.

In a way Bob and Scott are doing something different in that they are not selling an effect, you are paying for the routine. The patter, jokes etc...

I suppose its almost as though you're buying a mini play or the same as a comedian pays writers to create material for them. The method, unlike other tricks out there, is not what they are selling.

At first I agreed with Danny about the demo video, then I thought that if the effect is the same as every other blades routine the demo would look the same as every other blades routine.

If its the patter, jokes and general routining that you're buying then that wouldn't be shown on a promo. If it was, then you wouldn't have to pay the cash for it, just watch the demo.

I guess that's why you're not to perform it on TV or the web. As soon as someone does the product becomes worthless.

So if Scott's style fits your style then his routine will possibly work for you. But if Scott's style isn't the same as yours his jokes and patter lines probably won't work for you.

Personally I prefer to write my own stuff. Yes a lot of it fails. But the stuff that works is 100% mine and something I can build on. I enjoy trying the new stuff out. So for me buying a ready made routine is not for me. But for some it could be the perfect answer.
I don't know, to say that you appreciate Scott's style is a bit nebulous. To purchase something at such a high price completely sight or patter unseen doesn't make to much sense to me. While you may agree with his style or feel it fits you, who is to say that individual lines or parts of the routine will work as you said, and at the point what are you really buying if you're throwing away bits of what you are purchasing.

Having someone write material for you is a bit different since you are paying someone to write custom fit stuff for you and you have the option of saying well that won't work for me or that will. Basically working with the writer.

I totally understand why there is no demo video, I guess it was more of a jab at the typical comment from most Cafť posters (outside of this section).

Keep in mind that Scott has produced several high ticket routines in the past that didn't come with the stringent stipulations involved with this one. Maybe this is him learning that maybe that wasn't the best practice in the past, not really sure. I just think there are several other types of things that I could spend that type of cash on.

I guess it all comes down to whether this type of purchase works for someone. In my case, doesn't work for me.
I agree Danny, it is different to paying someone to write for you. I was just trying to figure out what it was you were buying. And I guess it's the script.

I suppose it's similar to having someone design a website for you or paying for a template.

I also agree that buying anything site unseen is a bit daft. But then, if you already saw the routine what reason do you have to buy it? Usually the method is the reason for purchase, but if lines and jokes are what you're buying I can't see how you could show what it is and still keep it's value.

Bob and Scott are definitely treading on new ground with reguards to how they are selling this product. Is this the sign of things to come? Maybe things are just too exposed and if this starts a trend in keeping secrets secret it may well be a good thing for the magic community as a whole.

Either way, I won't be buying a product like this... But then who knows if in future the right routine comes along maybe I will.
To sum this all up,,,,There`s a sucker born every minet.
Slightly off topic:
Is there any advantage to using straws rather than paper/card to prove that the blades are sharp?
If all you're doing is cutting stuff then I imagine sheets of paper being more visual.

Why not give the blade to a spec and you hold the paper? Let them go to town slashing away!!!
Hmmm.

Cut and restored paper dolls. Blades do the cutting. As you cut a doll, you eat a blade.

When the blades are all gone, restore the dolls into paper, in your mouth. Or at least into a disgusting pile of gooey paper.

Then you need to floss. Etc.
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (Jun 2, 2010 04:35PM)
Bizzaro does a cut and restored 'out to lunch' sign with his razor blades.

It's pretty nifty.
I recently saw the routine. I didn't see all that much patter but what I did see was an ingenious handling of the props. Not sure I would be happy if I had paid 800 bucks for it but it is clever and simple at the time.
Thanks Roslyn. Any other opinions regarding straw vs. paper?
Let's draw straws!
[quote]
On 2010-06-01 08:11, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Carlo, I can sell you a blockhead routine for under $500. Included will be a manual, DVD, a free stainless steel specialized blockheading nail, and online support.
[/quote]
Not sure what your point is or why you directed your snarky remark toward me? I'm neither defending nor criticizing the price or value of "The Blades".
As I said for me, a purchase is related to the ROI (Return On Investment). If you don't see the value in a product, don't buy it. I wouldn't buy a Lamborghini, it doesn't mean that I'm going to rail over how ridiculous it is to spend $200,000 on a car and that I don't see how it worth it etc... Again, what's the point?
I don't know, thegreatnippulini, maybe your blockhead routine is awesome and would command such a price? I'm not familiar with your work so I don't know, but I can guess that if you had a "Human Blockhead" routine worth $500 you would be in marketing discussions with Bob Kohler as we speak.
I do know that a great deal Scott's material has met that commercial mark; this was a marketing and commercial decision that Scott made, if you're annoyed that he isn't spilling the guts of his work on DVD for $29.99; I guess that's your prerogative.
It sometimes seems as if the loudest whining and complaining over price and value on the Cafť appears to be driven by the grief and the desire to own but the inability to afford. Personally I think $800 is a lot of money for a single routine; but so is $1800 for a single illusion (Losander Table). For 5 years I used a Losander table in every show I performed (about 500 shows). That comes to about $3.60 a show. So was it worth it? Well, for me, yes.
Let's say you buy Scott's routine for $800 and use it in 500 shows that comes to $1.60 a show. I don't know if the routine is any good, but let's just suppose that it is (for the sake of this discussion). Would you spend $1.60 a show to add a six minute routine that is audience tested entertaining, strong magic?
Now I agree that supposing that Scott's routine meets that criteria, sight unseen is a leap of faith, and perhaps one you or I may not be willing to take, but to get all undybunched is just a waste of time and energy. Relax; wait until some reviews roll in and then make an informed decision or perhaps just decide this isn't an investment for you. Either way, all the hand wringing and complaining over price and restrictions is futile. At the moment $800 is the price for "The Blades" along with all of it's restrictions and secrecy; and that is that.
Ew. Carlo, it was a joke at no ones expense. You need to relax. Have a drink.... if you're in recovery might I suggest a nice cup of chamomille tea? If you can't laugh at the little things in life maybe you shouldn't join the party.
Camomille!!!!

No sir you should go for a nice Earl Gray! And it should be in a bone china cup preferably with a nice union flag on it. And donít forget to warm the pot first!

Ha Americans you have no idea!

Now I need to go and do some work, you know its only 2 and a half hours until afternoon tea Ė may be you will join me in a nice cup of tea and a scone (thatís pronounced sc-on just so you know).
[quote]
On 2010-06-04 08:40, dave_matkin wrote:
...And donít forget to warm the pot first!

Ha Americans you have no idea!

[/quote]

I'd like very warm pot, please... ;)
That would work better than chamomille.
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (Jun 4, 2010 01:32PM)
Sc-On?

...like ska-on? or sk-on?

Long live the Queen.
[quote]
On 2010-06-04 08:03, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Ew. Carlo, it was a joke at no ones expense. You need to relax. Have a drink.... if you're in recovery might I suggest a nice cup of chamomille tea? If you can't laugh at the little things in life maybe you shouldn't join the party.
[/quote]

Really?
[quote]Carlo, I can sell you a blockhead routine for under $500....[/quote]

I see, it must have been directed at ANOTHER "Carlo", sorry, my bad. You're right, I suppose I have no business responding to something directed at me, and if I do I need to "relax".

THAT makes perfect sense! Silly me.
If we're talking Earl Grey you'll also need a lemon wedge and possibly a little honey. Don't you go confusing a lovely cup of the Duke with your common breakfast tea! Or "builder's bum" as we call it.

Carlo, may I step in? This area, much like All Tied Up, are full of people with a "unique" sense of humour. Possibly brought on from hammering nails a little too deep into head and dragging things no sane person would drag with their nipples.

Yes, we are all a little bit odd here. I'm pretty sure Nips (that's his pet name round here) meant no offence. He's much too soft and cuddly for any of that.

Sometimes jokes don't play too well on a forum. Now let's all hug and be friends ;)

Sia, the queen will live forever. I've heard a rumour that she's started using the same special cream Ken does. And as we know he's at least 2000 years old (one of them jokes I was talking about, please don't hunt me down) :P
[quote]
On 2010-06-05 04:31, Roslyn wrote:
Carlo, may I step in? This area, much like All Tied Up, are full of people with a "unique" sense of humour. Possibly brought on from hammering nails a little too deep into head and dragging things no sane person would drag with their nipples.

Yes, we are all a little bit odd here. I'm pretty sure Nips (that's his pet name round here) meant no offence. He's much too soft and cuddly for any of that.

Sometimes jokes don't play too well on a forum. Now let's all hug and be friends ;)
[/quote]
It's all good, Roslyn.
I went back and filtered through my response and other than inquiring what made ME specifically the subject of "Nips" post, I don't feel nor did I intend to be hostile, so I was "relaxed".
The anonymity and impersonal nature of "the net" often leads to misunderstandings as well as a tendency to engage people in a familiar way that would not hold up face to face, unless you knew the person fairly well.
As I stated, it's all good, and of little true consequence in the larger scheme of things.
I'm a Coffee, Vodka Martini, or Bourbon Manhattan (not necessarily in that order) guy myself. Tea is just not my cup.
I can go with those. Although I prefer gin in my martini rather than vodka :)

Anyway, needles and blades....
"Stick it all in a bog bucket" as Mr Creasote would say!
HARSE! I meant BIG bucket not BOG bucket (that is something the Dunny man changes regularly in Australia - and other countries as well I suppose .... not sure why I associate buckets of poo with Australia?)

ďgo on just a wafer thin mintĒ
The copy of Confessions of a Needle Swallower I ordered came in to the mail today. I ordered it on Sunday, so thatís pretty fast shipping. Not long after the mail truck came I found myself inside Walmart trying to find the sewing section looking for needles and thread. Iíve always wanted to learn the trick, being a big fan of Houdini and all, and Iím excited Iíll finally be able to.
Can anyone offer any tips on how to get the bundle(of BLADES) to unwind nicely when coming out of the mouth?
Confessions of a Needle Swallower is awesome both in the simplicity of method and the entertaining and convincing presentation. Simply put, it is underpriced and the single most valuable one-trick dvd ever produced.
I saw one this week that completely floored me. It was 40 needles and a shot glass... I did not know that you could do that many.
[quote]
On 2010-07-05 01:06, cairo wrote:
Confessions of a Needle Swallower is awesome both in the simplicity of method and the entertaining and convincing presentation. Simply put, it is underpriced and the single most valuable one-trick dvd ever produced.
[/quote]

Can it be MORE then 20 Needles with this method?
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (Aug 19, 2010 11:40AM)
I haven't read the book, but you can do it with 40 needles using a shot glass, yes you can.
Sounds good. Sounds like what I have been looking for.