(Close Window)
Topic: Don DriversJam Auction DVD
Don Drivers Jam Auction DVD

I just received an advance copy of Don Drivers Jam Auction DVD. What a great 2 DVD set, I loved it! Due to the very specialized nature of this product it is difficult to review, but I will tell you what to expect if you decide to order this DVD set.

Here’s what you get; you get a Jam Auction, in its entirety, as operated by Jack Nyberg. That’s it. There is an intro by Don that gives you a little background and some of the terms and lingo used in the Jam biz, but the real purpose of this DVD is to show a Jam Auction from start to finish. And you will see Jack do a Jam pitch. An almost two hour, non stop pitch, to a crowd of people that he built from nothing, at 8 am, on a Sunday morning.

Face it; you’ve never seen a Jam auction. You’ve heard of it. You have an idea of how it works. But you’ve never seen one. Now is your chance. It is absolutely fascinating to me to watch Nyberg work. And to watch the rhythm and the momentum of the Jam auction as it builds and builds until Jack has gone all the way from giving away cigarette lighters and those little screw in juice extractors, to selling items for $50, $100 and on up to $250 dollars each.

A Jam Auction is, in many ways, not about the destination, it’s about the journey. Yes, at the end of his almost 2 HOUR pitch, Jack sells a bunch of items for $50 bucks and several items for much more that that (as I said, up to $250.00). But watch as along the way he collects 5 dollar bills, 20 dollar bills and even gets people to dig in their pockets for their last dollar and hand it over to him for “drink money”.

There isn’t much more I can tell you. This is an item that is only for people that have some sort of interest in, or curiosity about the Jam. For those that do, there is NOTHING like this anywhere. A full Jam Auction, start to finish, has never been made available anywhere prior to Dons DVD. This is it, the only one of its kind. Once again Don has produced something unique and is offering it to the public.

Once more, it is difficult for me to “review” this product, it is what it is. There is no dissection of the auction, no in depth discussion of the thing, no interviews with Jack Nyberg or anything like that. There are no fancy production values, bells and whistles, extras or any of those things. Those familiar with Dons previous releases will know how he presents his material. Straightforward, no nonsense. Please don’t misunderstand the purpose of this DVD. This is not an instructional DVD. Yes, there is much to learn from it. Few people can stay connected to an audience for two hours the way Jack does (And, of course, he has a few tricks to make sure they STAY connected to him. hehehe). But the true purpose of this DVD is so that you can see, with your own eyes, a TRUE Jam Auction. If you have ever seen the “Gee Whiz Kid” and wanted to see Jack do a full pitch, or if you have read or heard about Jam Auctions and always wished you could see one, this is the only DVD in the world that will give you that opportunity. I’m biased, because I have a keen interest in the art of the pitch, and of course, Jam Auctions. If you share those interests, I can’t imagine you wouldn’t be fascinated and thoroughly entertained by this 2 DVD set.

The set should be available now. You will be able to get it at http://www.magicpitch.com or if you prefer to use paypal (which magicpitch does not accept) you will be able to get it directly from Don at http://www.dondriver.com
The jam is an amazing thing to watch and Jack is the master. He earned the title The Gee Whiz Kid and while I've not seen him as recent as this DVD he is worth watching just from a historical standpoint. I've not seen the DVD but am refering to Jack and the jam auction in prior events.
I can't believe what I just saw.

I'll be more specific. I can't believe that anyone, even someone as slick as Jack Nyberg, could convince a crowd of people to part with their money so willingly.

Nyberg's presentation has everything: drawing a tip using the $100 bally Don details in another DVD, building the crowd's enthusiasm by throwing out free items, promising to sell reasonably attractive items for a penny/nickel/dime/quarter and never quite selling more than a few of them, qualifying the serious buyers, clearing out the gawkers, and pushing the heavy items at the end.

After selling three of the high-priced items, he convinces nine members of the crowd to buy a mystery item for $20 each. Incredible.

In his introduction, Don says you'll have to watch the video several times to catch the nuances of the presentation. He's not kidding. I watched it once early this afternoon and my head is still spinning from seeing Nyberg set his psychological traps and capitalize on every opportunity. I don't think there was a loose dollar left in the tent.

If you're at all interested in sales psychology and how to work a crowd, you should buy a copy of [i]The Jam Auction[/i] DVD set. You get two DVDs that contain Don's intro, the full two-hour presentation, and Don's summary at the end.

Yes, the full auction runs two hours. Amazing.

You can buy the Jam Auction DVD set for $49.95 plus $6.95 postage and handling (for US orders) by visiting http://www.dondriver.com/ . You can also buy the DVD set from http://www.magicpitch.com if you need to use a credit card (Don takes PayPal; Steve at MagicPitch doesn't, but he does take credit cards).

Curt
Curt, see if you can track down the documentary The Gee Whiz Kid, you'll like it.

Folks won't believe the jam auction (not to be confused with the British version) until they see it done. Jack is the king and Don worked with him in the 70s.
Okay, I just had to add my own two cents or so. I was a 'guest' at a jam auction when I was a youngster in the Midwest some forty or so years ago. I might have only had twenty bucks to my name, but he got it all. Not only that, but I walked away smiling! That is the wonder of the jam at least as done by Jack Nyberg. He has what seems like nothing but happy customers at the end! The magic of watching this jam auction isn't in seeing it start to finish, though that is nearly priceless. The beauty of this is all of the work that Jack Nyberg puts in as he works this group of strangers into a money - spilling unit of happy spenders. There is so much work that can be taken from the jam auction world into any other world, be it street magic, bartending, restaurant work, whatever! If you have ever heard or read that phrase GTFM, this is oh, about a thousand and one ways to get that money. He starts with just a couple of folk in front of him, but gathers a crowd very quickly. If you ask any street guy what the hardest thing is to do, it isn't in just drawing a crowd, but keeping them and getting their money. Jack Nyberg shows how this is done, in spades. No question - this is a master class on getting the money, and certainly the absolute best work on the jam auction ever. I am so happy that Don Driver, who has been our finest source of this sort of information, has made this available to us. I hope that there will be a flood of orders going his way for he certainly deserves it. He is at least part of the reason that Jack has had the success that he's had all these years, and those of you who have learned from Don will recognize his tips from within the two hours that Jack is talking to these people. I just about screamed when Jack had the chutzpa to get their LAST DOLLAR! What until you see that one. you won't believe it. Will you turn off the DVD and go hold your own jam auction? No way, but you will take away a lot of work that will make what you do even better. Two thumbs up, in a big way! Thanks Don.

Mark
I just finished watching the DVD. It is stupendous! I would have happily paid $100 for this video. Nothing like this has ever been made available. It is a true gold mine.

Jack Nyberg is a real master of the Jam, and to have a complete, really clean video of the entire two-hour auction from drawing a crowd to letting them "buy him a drink" is just unbelievable.

Nyberg obviously enjoys his work, knows it inside out, has fun "performing" for the crowd, genuinely seems to like the people, and yet is totally focused on taking every dime out of the pockets of everyone within earshot. He is an artist and a businessman.

Don does a very good job of explaining the terminology and basic psychology of the Jam, which he knows inside out. He and Jack used to work together in Vegas with a storefront Jam Auction.

Thank you, thank you, Don! This is a great contribution to the literature of the scoundrel.

I laughed, and watched in slack-jawed awe at the careful traps that Nyberg lays for everyone. You would have to be thick-skinned as a rhino to go back on a deal after he has gotten you tied up in knots with agreements--"You aren't the kind of person who would just waste everybody's time and go back on a deal, are you? Because if you are, I don't want to sell you anything. If you can't come back and say 'Thank you,' then I don't want your money...Do you think I'm a good guy? Do you think I'm a good salesman? Are you happy with your deal? Wait 'til you see what I'm going to do next."

It is an amazing, fun, and informative DVD. I couldn't recommend it any higher to anyone interested in pitching, short cons, street magic or any activity that involves calling and holding a crowd, controlling their thinking, getting agreement, and making them like you.

It is a real gift to the fraternity.

Thanks, Don!
Ok, I just finish watching Don's Jam Auction DVD! First, for those who are looking for a How to DVD, like Don's other DVD's this is not that. This DVD does not come with a written Scrit, or source location for material or product. Having said that, this DVD is money well spent with a lot of information to digest. I was amazed at the pace of the auction, the wit, humor and the money that was exchanging hands. No one is going to buy this DVD and go out this weekend and perform a Jam Auction, but you can and some will buy this DVD and create an auction of their own.

I will be spending a lot of time rewatching this, scpriting it out and going over the material for some time. A real Treat to have been able to see the jam auction from start to finish and to be able to rewatch it. As Don points out this has never been put on DVD before, so I am well pleased with it and will now look at pitchmen when I am out and about with a different eye.

Good Work Don!!
Watching this you may catch techniques that will help you draw in a crowd or how to hold them. It is facinating and when Jack goes so likely goes the Jam Auction.
In what setting would you hold a jam auction?
Jack does it at fairs, that is where I've seen them done many years ago. They are also done in store fronts. If you get hold of The G Whiz Kid you can see Jack working a store front. Again this isn't a how to DVD. You are not likely to go out and start doing jam auctions, it takes a rare type to do them.
Doing the Jam Auction pitch is really the easy thing ( as hard as that is to learn) Learning how and where to buy stock at the right price is the HARD part.

Thanks guys for all the good words on this DVD.

Don
You know, when I watched The G Whiz Kid the thing in my mind was "I wonder where he gets his stuff", I'm not kidding! So Don, where does he get his stuff?
Jack has been around so long he knows all the wholesalers and goes to several shows a year just to buy.He never gives the asking price.You might he "JAMS" the whlesalers...hehehe

Don
Ok, I just rewatched both DVD's and have to say, if you really want to know about how to build a tip (you should own Don's dvd on this anyway), Crowd management and the basic psychology of holding a crowd, these dvd"s are gold! I did some brain storming a few minutes ago, and thought of a few ways, to use the information on the DVD's to make a show out of it; anyone who has read suitcase side show,the tie pitch, medicine show tonite and one pitch is worth a thousand words, and others will understand what I am talking about.

Don, either knowingly or unknownly has produced a once in a life time chance for people to learn first hand the methodology of how to separate people of large sum's of cash--of their own free will and they are happy to do so and will thank you for the chance to do so!

There is a reason why, a Jam Auction has never been put on DVD before because, it is to be honest, to vauleable to those that understand the psychology of mod mentality to share the secret! The Knowledge is there for the taken, but Don did not give away the candy store, for free--"You will have to watch the DVD and produce your own results, but the information is there!"

Thank you Don, for a very vaulable product! My last words on this DVD

(I bought and paid for all of Don's DVD's (and so should you) and have not been given jack, for any kind words or this review)
Sir T,

After reading your review I might have to jack the price up,and if I gave you more to go with it would you say "Thank You " (lol)

Thanks for the great review.

Don
Anybody else out here pick up one and have something to say ? Steve and I have been selling a few so I know we haven't heard from all of you.I would like to have your thoughts on Jack's Jam Auction pitch

Thanks,Don
[quote]
On 2007-12-29 20:13, MagicSanta wrote:
Curt, see if you can track down the documentary The Gee Whiz Kid, you'll like it.
Folks won't believe the jam auction (not to be confused with the British version) until they see it done. Jack is the king and Don worked with him in the 70s.
[/quote]

Anybody know where I can buy this item?
:)
Hi Don
I've ordered 2 of the DVDs. Thanks for your help in this
Cheers
TJ
I was just thinking about Sir T's 'scripting' this Jam auction out. First, over two hours of Jack Nyberg is pretty much like six or so hours of anyone else reading the encyclopedia. Meaning, we'd have to talk nonstop for six hours to equal Nyberg's two. Next, if you get this and really want to get some benefit, watch it six or eight times, just to get the enjoyment and amazement out of the way. When you feel like you could study this without Jack Nyberg pulling you back into spectator mode, go through line by line and see what the heck he is doing with each line he recites. Ask, "what is he after here, where is this going?" Once you get through the thing in that way, you'll see that there is very little in our magic world that he hasn't used. He psychologically, verbally, and literally misdirects, like a good speaker he tells 'em what he's gonna tell 'em, then he tells 'em, and finally he tells 'em what he told 'em. This thing is an absolute gold mine, and keep in mind there's no downtime! There is no time that your good ol' buddy Jack is taking a breather and just chatting up all his new friends. No, each and every line is there for a reason - ferret that out, and apply it to yourself. Unless you're aspiring to jams, you may not use it all every time, but you will use it all over time. This is the Master's Degree workshop and we are so fortunate to have it. "The Whiz Kid" was a great piece of film about Jack, but this is the Real Work, folks! I'm sorry to go off again, but every time I watch it I catch something else, and its killin' me up here in the snowy mountains to just watch it and shut up. I gotta tell someone!
Like many others, I had only heard of the Jam Auction. I had a script for one, in my collection. Out of passing interest, I purchased this DVD. It was nothing short of unbelievable! I was laughing out loud. Jack Nyberg could sell saltwater to you even if you were stranded on a raft in the middle of the ocean. What I was was a total work of art. I have never seen anything like it. My wife, who hates all my magic-related crap, started to watching with me.

Her: "What are you watching?"

Me: "Nothing you'd be interested in. Magic-related crap. It is just this guy selling stuff".

Her:"Why are you watching a guy selling stuff--what is so fascinating about that."

Me: "Well, it is an unbelieveable work of art. This guy is selling nothing for $10 and people are buying it. Then he is charging them money for a box that the have no idea what is inside. This guy is selling crap and he is getting people to hand over money hand over fist. It is unbelieveable. it is unlike anything I have ever seen."

Her: "Well, I am going to bed."

Me: "Sweet dreams, Honey".

Meanwhile. she can't take her eyes off of the screen. 5 minutes goes by. 10 minutes goes by. She is yawning and tired, but she gets hypnotized by the pitch. She gets totally sucked in. It was unbelievable. 15 minutes...and on and on. I finally had to be the one to turn it off.

This was totally crazy. It really was watching a work of art. It was better than almost any show I have ever seen. Watching this guy transition from his opening to getting the tip to start handing over cash!?!?!?--It was better than any magic trick on the planet.

I LOVED IT.
Great Story Jeremy.Thanks and keep them coming.

Don
Markjens, my point for Scripting out the auction, is not to learn it as a script, but rather to learn the details of what is going on! The Jam Auction DVD is gold on many different levels, just try holding a group of people for two hours and not only holding them but extracting money from them--what a feat!! I love the Picture of his son, in uniform (real or not), this was pure gold!! The whole emotion draw was great!! There are gems in this DVD and I know many will pass this DVD up because, it is not a buy it a perform it item. This is a buy it and learn from it item, which is a hard concept to learn for many. Years from now, I can see this DVD selling for hundreds of dollars, not because, of people wanting to put on a jam auction, but for the people wanting to learn HOW to handle a crowd and extract money from them. I watch this DVD often and learn something new everytime!
Sir-T

I really made and put it out for the history of the Jam Auction.Jack is the last of the full Jam Auction pitchman.So now there is a record of it to leave behind.

Don

P.S. The story about his son is all true.( and did you notice a picture of the last supper hanging up on the right)
Ooooo, I had a conversation with Don a couple months back about this DVD and was so excited, but being the natural scatterbrain that I am had completely forgotten about it. Just ordered mine today!!
This DVD IS THE most important DVD Historical record available on the entire Café. Can't stress enough how important this is. You could have sat in a Jam Auction and be amazed but you would not for the life of you understand the machinations underway. Thus for many many years this was TOP SECRET stuff and even if available was incomprehensible with out intensive training and a TALENT maybe only possesd by a very few...or one or two. It is a Ballet...an Opera...a Masterpiece scenerio of Selling Performance like NO OTHER. It happens every time Jack does a show yet there was not a single record of this or the many other old time long gone Jams of yesterday.

So we all had the memories of the jam...but wait! It was about to be gone forever...the Last Master...the ONLY living example of the full pitch Jam was heading for the old corral someday (hopefully not soon!) and in our lifetime the classic Jam would be GONE. Wiped out Forever with NO WAY to retrieve even a hint of what it was about.

The G Whiz Kid is an ok time passer but is more about the personality of Jack Nyberg and has very little Jam footage. Definately see that if you can but it will be better if you see and come to understand the True Full JAM first.

Don has done the WORLD (not just us) a big service...a service to History...This was IT...the only possible chance to capture it and he somehow talked Nyberg into letting it be done. Don jammed the master...well of course!

Get this DVD!!!
Well, I got the Jam auction DVD set and have so many feelings about it. First off, the filming. The camera is set in a way that you not only see all the action, but it's like you're part of the audience.

Has anyone seen a good play and enjoyed it and then seen the same play with an actor that is a Master at the craft? You come away with a different feeling. That's what's wachting the Jam auction was like: I watched a Master. I actually came under his spell. I got just as caught up in the atmosphere as the spectators. I litteraly kept shaking my head and saying "this guy is too good".

If I was running a sales force ( car dealership etc.) I'd make my Team watch this DVD sevreral times. Jack Nyberg is a Sales Master. Every word, every line is carefully chosen to get the crowd in agreement again and again.

This DVD set not only important historical info, it's of value to anyone that wants to gather AND HOLD a crowd.

One viewing isn't enough for me. I'm going to watch the set again and take notes. There is a wealth of information here that you can't get anywhere else ( unless you worked with these guys doing it ) that can be applied to much of what we do as Magicians.
For those interested in this type of stuff they'll find themselves celebrating every sale with Jack. I watched it again and it is just a great dance but with the partner not being aware they are dancing. I bet Jack could make a fortune lecturing to companies.
When watching this remember that Jack has the "TIP" in an environmmt that he made,thus having total control over each and everyone.

I promise everyone thinks he's ONLY talking to them and them alone and they forget they are all part of a crowd.He talks to and gets eye contact with everybody at some point.

If you watch this study and apply it to your show's,you'll have your audience in the palm of your hand. REALLY !

Thanks guys,
Don
Here's my review

So you've seen the clip on real hustle, and you know what a Jam Auction is, do you?... Wrong.. What would it be worth to watch a master at work.. Watch as he builds a tip, and has random people hand him 10s and 20s for no apparent reason at all... Next is the 50's.. Than the 100's... 200..... Amazing stuff here. Not only does he get the big money, but he ends the whole thing simply by asking people if they would like to give him a dollar so he can get drinks later. And they gladly throw more money at him without hesitation.

http://www.dondriver.com

After watching it once you may be a little confused about how this whole thing works.. Watch it a few times, and you should get it.. no problem.

5/5 stars
I ahd to watch this again. I'm in awe of how smooth Jack Nyberg. Good lessons here for anyone that performs.
This guy is the ultimate talking machine.He rattles the words and one liners off like a machine gun.He mesmorises the audience humours them and has them eating out of the palm of his hand.In a short period of time he gets them to part with their cash and they love it.Most of them probably think they are getting a good deal.I think some are just happy to pay him for the entertainment.If I was there I'd hand over $20 just to be involved in the show.I've seen this a couple of times now and probably watch parts again.There are some very funny bits in this.
As has been said before there is a wealth of info in here. A must see.

Chapppelly
I take it it's different from this jam auction.

http://nerdnirvana.org/2007/01/31/the-real-hustle-the-jam-auction/

That ones clearly dirty business.
[quote]
On 2008-03-16 01:24, Experimentalist wrote:
I take it it's different from this jam auction.

http://nerdnirvana.org/2007/01/31/the-real-hustle-the-jam-auction/

That ones clearly dirty business.
[/quote]

I sympathize for Don Driver.. He has to be Sick of trying to explain this by now.. If you wanna find out how a Real Jam Auction works, ya gotta get the DVD... Don't get me wrong, the real american jam auction is kind of "dirty"... But in a good way of course... Also, there is a small simmilarity between the real hustle version, and Jack's.. but there is so much more to Jacks.... Actually It's so confusing I can't even make any sense of it without going through the entire pitch.. You'll just have to watch
What Wilson is putting on is the British jam it is not the American Jam Auction which is more art than criminality. With the Driver material you get to see an actual jam auction being put on by a man who not only makes his living doing it but is one of the best that ever walked the saw dust. Wilson did a tv show. From a historical standpoint and from a pure facination standpoint you can't miss with what Don Driver has put out. I've never met Don but let me tell you, I've seen three of his releases, the Svengali pitch, the bally, and this and he is putting down on DVD information that is priceless to those who appreciate it.

I prefer the company of pitchmen, carnies, hustlers, Jam workers, and street artist than I do most anyone else and they are becoming fewer and fewer. Which reminds me, Long Live Bob Brown!
I watch the Jam DVD and find myself smiling. It's like when you watch Whit Haydn do the 3 card monte and see the audience get brought down the garden path.

Don, thanks for putting this out!!

http://www.dondriver.com
So, is quality merchandise ever sold at a Jam Auction, or is it part of the concept that the merchandise be nicely packaged, but of poor quality (Like at Walmart)?
Experimentalist

Why do you keep posting things you know nothing about.You just don't GET IT and I'm guessing you never will.Try buying a copy.

Don Driver
Hi Don,

I plan to buy a copy. But I think my questions are legitimate. Remember that I had never heard of a Jam Auction before a few weeks ago. that's why I don't "get it".

I'm asking questions so that I will understand. That's generally considered a intelligent thing to do.

I come in peace.
E.
And by the way Don.
I do appreciate what you've done. You've achieved some things that others have only dreamed of. That's pretty cool.
Mr. Experimentalist, let me answer...considering the 'quality' of the stuff everyone is now buying from China as 'quality' material the answer is that yes, relative to what is considered quality, the stuff is quality.
Thanks M-Santa,

References to Jam Auctions on other websites infer that the merchandise is generally inferior. Thanks for clearing that up.

I make a portion of my living selling handcrafted items from local artisans (lathe turned lamps e.t.c.). I can see myself using some of the concepts from this DVD set at the fairs I sell stuff at.

I'm intrigued by this "Jam Auction" concept, but it's also brand to me. So I have had a few questions that need to be answered before I fish out the credit card.
BTW <Why do you keep posting things you know nothing about.>

I am posting questions. Not knowing is the nature of a question.
There is a review on Don Driver's Jam Auction DVD in this months April Magic magazine.
I would like to thank Brad for the review of my Jam Auction DVD in magic magazine.

From the review Brad it sounds like you liked it.

Thanks a million,
Don
Magic Magazines review was very accurate.

Theres a ton of stuff for everyone to learn from this pitch.. Especially Audience Control! ... It works like Mob Mentality, Mass Hypnosis . and the people absolutely Love Jack.... A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+
I just watched this DVD and WOW! This frigging guy is amazing! The psychology Nyberg uses to GTFM is unbelievable. I don't know how the guy can keep his energy level up for that long! I was trying to clock what he was doing but it all happened so fast that it will take two or three viewings before most of it comes together.

I will say as a street performer who has 'dabbled' in some of these ideas it was really cool to sit there and watch a master wind up and get TONS of cash from these people. It's a real soft sell and he is a completely likable guy. In the end the people get there money's worth and walk away happy. It really was just brilliant to sit there and watch. Don in his little post section explains how these techniques can be applied to a lot of different areas of performing particularly street magic. If you have busked you will really be able to appreciate the level of audience management and Nyburg's ability to sell not the products, but himself. "Who'll give me twenty dollars for something in the back of my mind?" and you see the hands just shoot up! Brilliant!

Don also says in his section that watching this can make you understand how guys like Jim Jones could start a cult. All I know is by the end of the tape I was drinking Nyburg's Kool-Aid.

If this type of psychological exercise appeals to you at all this DVD is a must have!

Thanks Don!

Best,

Dan-
Thanks Dan,glade you liked it.

It seems like everybody likes it.

I'm getting emails like: "It was the most amazing 2 hours I ever saw"
"I had to watch it 4 times to believe what Jack did...what a lession I learned"
"Don,you really did it this time,its unbelievable what you can get people to do and Jack is a master at it"

Later,Don
I just watched this again last night and I have to say it get's better each time I watch it. I now recommend it MORE highly, than I did when I first got it.
Vandy,
I think everybody that bought a copy has said the same thing.The more you watch it the better it gets.Jack Nyberg is most amazing

Don
I just ordered the DVD Don. I look forward to it!

I think there is a guy out here that has started one at the flea. I heard about it today.
This DVD does get better and better with each viewing. That's because there is so much going on, you come away with something new each time.
Well lo and behold, I went to the flea today, and there was Jack Nyberg and BT doing the jam! I spoke with Jack after his last pitch, and I am going back tomorrow to watch again. What an artist!
Very cool Scott!
I just called Jack to let him know that Penn Jillette just got a copy.I wonder if this could go anywere for Jack.

Don
My entire adult life (which is longer than I care to admit) I have enthralled people with stories of how, when I was 17, I got a job with "Demo Enterprises" in New York City gathering crowds in department stores and selling them pens. When I applied I was told that all I had to do was memorize the pitch, and people would buy, and that it didn't matter whether the product was pens or pizza pies or fly specks. And it was true. The pitch spent 2 minutes telling people about the pens, and the other 18 minutes was designed to make people feel like the most insincere, miserable piece of scum on the earth if they didn't buy.

When Don pointed out to me (after talking to him about his wonderful Svengali pitch DVD) that the Jam Auction was just an extended version of the pen pitch, I had to get it. I'd seen part of one done at a fair in Vermont many, many years ago, but my bored friends dragged me away before I could spend the entire evening watching. So I was enthralled to get this Jam Auction DVD. Apparently Jack is the only one in the country left doing it since he's the only able to do it with enough charm and likeability that nobody complains to the fair owners.

Even if you're not interested in pitching, every performer should see this DVD. In fact anyone interested in performing, persuasion, advertising, or politics should see this DVD. An earlier poster was right when they said you have to watch it through in one sitting to begin to grasp what's happening. I'm still not sure exactly how he makes money, it's so well hidden. Does it play on people's sense of greed? You bet. Is it a little creepy? Of course. But it's also incredibly entertaining, charming, and amazing. The opening bally reminded me exactly of what I've seen Joel Bauer do at trade shows to gather a crowd. Biggest difference was that Joel waved around 40 hundred dollar bills, and on this DVD you see Jack do it with only 10 dollar bills.

This 2 DVD set will get many more viewings from me as well as my magic and non-magic friends than almost any other instructional DVD I have. The award-winning Torkova was at my apartment last week with his mouth dropping to the floor as we laughed and gasped at something we've always heard about but had to see for ourselves.

As a bonus to owning this and all of Don Driver's other products I've gotten to know Don, first on the phone, and then 2 weeks ago in person during his visit to Manhattan. He's the real deal pitchman. No frills, straight to the point. Great customer service. Take a look at his products at http://www.dondriver.com and buy with confidence anything that looks appealing. I will soon post my thoughts on the Svengali Pitch DVD as well as the Bally DVD. For now, suffice it to say that I'm a huge fan.

All the best,

Bill Brunelle
New York City
Thanks Bill,good to meet you as well.

The guy working Tannens thinks I'm straight and to the point...a hugh fan...maybe not...hehehe

Later,Don
Hey Don,

I've been on the road this week and a little slow to respond.
Yes, I will never forget your brief encounter with Tannen's. No one need ever worry about whether you're direct and to the point or not. :)

I get back home on Thursday and will try to write up my thoughts for everyone on the Svengali and Bally DVDs. As you know, I have a tremendous amount of nostalgia for the Svengali pitch and pitching in general. I'm not sure if I can come up with anything that hasn't been said already, but I think both videos are fabulous and offer a great deal that can't be gotten on any other DVD available.

More soon.

Bill Brunelle
I don't know how Don got permission to make this DVD! This is a genuine document of the last great master of the Jam. This is inner circle secret skull and bones stuff. You get to see Jack Nyberg doing his thing...his WHOLE thing, from start to finish.

I suspect a lot of people won't buy this because they don't plan on doing the Jam auction. That's a mistake. The stuff on this DVD is all about crowd control, call and response, crowd gathering the INNER GAME of performing. This isn't a disc to be watched, its a disk to be STUDIED.

My only complaint is I'd like to see more explaination of what's going on...the Jam is confusing...that's the point of the Jam. Its not clear whats going on at any given point and the fine points are, well...fine. Jack makes peoople stop in their tracks and give him money. Its a mental shellgame. Sleight of mind.

Its a great thing that we have video now. We've lost so much of the old carny lore. Thanks to this video we've got a historical record of one of the great scams of all time.
Zack,

You said "My only complaint is I'd like to see more explaination of what's going on...the Jam is confusing...that's the point of the Jam."

This is why I say at the beginning you have to watch it several times to grasp what is happening.If you do that you'll see what and why Jack says when he says it.

Thanks for your review.
Don
I really, really enjoyed Nyberg's pitch and Don's into and outro. Will definitely check out Don's other materials at http://www.dondriver.com.

Watching Jack's show unfold, I started wondering if there's a type of people on whom this kind of presentation is particularly effective. Lower income? Lower education? Just plain gullible? My question arose again, with a laugh, when Don, at the end, says "Unfortunately, these people also vote!"

I'm also curious to know if there was a "granddaddy" in the history of auction jams. The king talker of them all. Or did what Jack does gradually evolve from the years since the old-time snake-oil medicine shows and even earlier.

It's wonderful stuff. Thanks, Jack, for your artistry. And thanks, Don, for making this amazing (and mesmerizing) piece of cultural history available!
Hi Mark,

Middle class working people love the Jam Auction pitch...amazing.

Don
I've just watched the Jack do the Jam Auction yet again, and once again I am so struck by the layers of information in here. Want to learn to be a better performer? Watch this. Want to understand why your least favorite presidential candidate is so popular? Watch this. Want to understand how to sell anything? You've got to see it. I wrote a longer review some time ago, and everything I and so many others have said before gets magnified times ten.

Read some of the many earlier reviews on here and then go to http://www.dondriver.com and get this DVD. As you can see from the reviews there are uncountable lessons on here.

Best,

Bill Brunelle
New York City
Go to http://www.dondriver.com and buy everything…

I have been watching the Jam Auction DVD since the September 4; when ever I have time… every time I watch it I see some thing new…
After about the 10th time watching it…
At the end of Jack’s 2 hours, I heard some one in the crowd say “I’m making out like a bandit.” This person left satisfied giving Jack money…

This is a DVD that I know, I will be watching over and over again…

The first time viewing it… I was Amazed and Shocked that the crowd stood in one spot for 2 hours waited to give their money for what ever Jack was pitching…

If you don’t know what a Jam Auction is buy Don Driver’s DVD…

If you know what a Jam Auction is buy Don Driver’s DVD…

http://www.dondriver.com Thanks Don!

Chuck
Jack is killer when it come to the Jam Auction pitch.Glade you like it Chuck...and keep watching it.

Later,Don
Just got the Don Driver Jam Auction DVD's. FANTASTIC I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE! INFACT ORDER ALL OF THE DVD'S DON HAS FOR SALE , THEY ARE A GOLD MINE OF INFORMATION . The Jam auction is a work of art. Watching Jack Nyberg THE GEE WHIZ KID at work is poetry in motion. If you are into pitching Svengali decks, Don's DVD on Pitching is all you need , it covers everything. The Building a TIP dvd is AMAZING!!!!!! Watch Don as he starts out with an empty street and in a matter of minutes has built a very large tip around him. Set down RIGHT NOW! and order them all, YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID!

ROD PRINGLE
UPDATE ON DON DRIVER'S JAM AUCTION DVD'S!!! This is "GOOOOD STUFFF" Its 6:00 am and I am setting here watching this incredible DVD. You have to watch this dvd many times to get it all digested, every move, every word , is set at the precise time. I am totally amazed how Jack can hold an audience for 2 hours and get them to pay 20 dollars for an empty box . He has nice looking stock too, Just watching this on TV , I am JAMMED already...I'm getting out my wallet. Tell Jack I'll send up 20 for an empty bag! (haha) Also Don comes on with a neat intro and covers some Jam Auction lingo, and also has some good words about the pitch at the end. The Don Driver Dvd's have become my most valuable items( I have the complete set) in my library, I keep them stored in a fire proof box.YES..they are THAT valuable! GET THEM TODAY!!!WWW.DONDRIVER.COM

ROD PRINGLE
Thanks Rod
I watched it again last night and it seems that every time I do I just learn more and it keeps getting better every time you watch it.

I guess it is because you are learning psychology that is behind crowd control watching Jack Nyberg doing what he knows how to do in this two hour pitch.

On the square ... There is NOTHING out there today that even comes close to this DVD set with all the endless information in it. You more you see it the more you learn.

Chew on that last bone for a while,("...more you learn."), and tell me it aint so!

And what I mean by 'endless' is that it is relative to how smart you are ... if you are sharp and really want to learn and gain insight ... the more you'll keep on learning ... from major points to very fine and honed phrases.

Thanks for your insight Don in looking ahead and doing something that wasn't thought of before this.

I'll give you something ... get this ... Brother John is using some of this on his lectures today ... and he ain't no slouch guys!
After reading the glowing reviews here and elsewhere, I ordered Don's Jam Auction DVD this past week. It arrived in no time at all. Actually, I ordered his complete DVD set (he also has 2 other pitch-related DVDs as well and they seemed very complimentary so I went for the set).

I watched the Jam Auction DVD this afternoon. All I can say about it is: I was MESMERIZED. Honestly, it was an eye opening experience. I didn't order this intending to do Jam Auctions, but because of the captivating subject matter. However...what a brilliant piece of entertainment and psychology, all rolled into one. It was incredibly absorbing.

I have to say, magician or not...anyone who wants to influence people will find this absolutely fascinating. I can see where this will certainly resonate with magicians though, who depend on connecting with their audience.

Here we have a veteran Jam Auction conductor (Jack Nyberg) who is clearly at the top of the game. He builds an audience from nothing using only wit and clever psychology. In the end, the audience ends up having paid him quite a premium for moderate value merchandise, AND yet they leave happy. This is really something to behold. I'll be watching this a few times I am sure, to really pick up all the nuances.

This DVD is exceptional, and I recommend it highly.
I bought Don's Jam Auction DVD and have to say, it’s GREAT. Not only is Jack a very slick pitchman, he’s also a super salesman. Many lessons in salesmanship on the dvd.

Years ago when I was in sales, I did a study of the jam auctioneers. It really doesn’t matter what you selling, trick cards, cars, insurance, pots and pans, or magic shows, you can’t find better lessons in salesmanship than this.

Don, there use to be a book named Carnival describing parts of the carnivals, and a chapter in it was on the jam. I read it way back, (probably 70’s) and it somewhat detailed the auction. My memory is bad now and I can’t remember the guys name in it. I want to say Bob, but curious if it may of been Jack?

I agree with all the good stuff that’s been said about the dvd, and more. If you sell anything, you need it.

Tom
Glade you guys liked it...
Thanks,Don
Hey Don,

I wanted to let you know that I watched the Jam Auction this weekend with my buddy - he hadn't seen it yet = and he was mesmerized! He never left the TV the whole time, and when it was over he took off running to the bathroom to pee!!! I thought it was hilarious - a grown man "holding it" until the jam was over!! LOL!!

I watch this thing over and over and still learn something new each time. Jack is a master...

Scott
By the way Don, I heard Jack was coming back this way in the spring
Illusion and reality are the same until you know the difference! After having watched this dynamically rich and fully textured DVD, All I can say is this is truly show BUSINESS at its absolute finest. I would like to say that what I observed is that there is way more to this DVD than just the entertainment value. This is a training program with ALL of the recipes, ruses, and realizations to succeed in show BUSINESS.

As you watch this DVD, Jack gives it all to you, if you listen to his words very closely. Every question you may have about how to market yourself to potential clients, how to sell your product, how to get advertising and marketing for free, building rapport, the importance of showmanship, structuring of an act and so much more. This is a treasure trove or better yet shall I say an encyclopedia of SHOW BUSINESS. In two hours he makes a few grand that's not bad for the first show of the day. You can see he is really doing it cant you, there is no arm chair theory here.How much did you make with your last gig?

His knowledge is masterfully put out there for all of you who are really willing to sit down and understand and do the work to thorougly understand the brilliance of this jam. If you chunk it down into four main categories with each phase containing the ground work and strategy with four sub phases that end up breaking down all of the laws of show business. The more you watch it the more it will jump out at you. This is more than a DVD on a jam this is genuinely the recipe for success no matter what field your in.

By taking this knowledge and new learning how can you apply it to your present working situations I bet you like me are already thinking hmmm yes. I applaud you guys for putting this product out and I am so excited to own this thank you so very much.

The Illustrated Magician
Reed McClitnock
WOW what a review...Thanks Reed

Don
I have to totally agree with Reed and many others here - this is the ultimate expose of the arcane act of the 'Jam'.

Don was kind enough to send me the DVD's but that wouldn't stop me saying bad things if I didn't like them. So, OK, I didn't like them ... I loved them!

I've seen a lot of Jam Auctions in my day (may even have 'alledgedly' run a few) but I've never seen anybody as good as Jack. He takes it to an art form where one could honestly do a mis-quote of the Tiger Woods and golfing line, "There are Jam Auctions and then there are Jam Auctions run by Jack Nyberg."

I was entralled and have watched 'the master' more than once. Don has done us all a huge service by giving us an insiders view of a dying art. Not only that, but the very best of that art!

Even if you don't want to be a ... um ... Jam guy you'll learn a whole lot about crowd control handling of people and how to really sell what you have to offer whether it be tricks, jokes or, of course, products (or lack of them!)

So my advice is to get these DVD's and sit back for a roller coaster ride you'll never forget. Otherwise I've got this cool box of stuff that can be yours for just $250 .... No? OK then just buy this set, you'll thank me!

Simon Lovell

PS Be sure to watch them more than once ... there are so may layers to the sell to learn that you'll never get them all on just one viewing.
Thanks Simon,
Glade you liked it.See you on Feb.17th at my NYC lecture.

Don
"Wow!" That basically sums up in a word, Jack Nyberg in Don Driver's Jam Auction dvd set.
I was lucky enough to spend an afternoon with Don while he was in NYC. He had some fantastic behind the scenes stories of some of the major players of the Jam Auctions over the years.
But back to the dvd set, any performer, whether sideshow artiste, magician, juggler or vent who watches this document will garner something out of it.
Nyberg presents himself as a man of the people. He's just like those he's pitching to, a regular working stiff looking to make ends meet. He's not flash, no bling, no five syllable words. He doesn't talk down to his people. He relates to them. He's on their side. He just wants them to be happy. To get a square deal.
As a performer, I want my audience on my side, I talk to them and with them, not at them. That's what you'll see Nyberg do. Talk to the people.
He works them up into a frenzy, what performer doesn't want their audience jazzed up wanting more?
Now let's be honest here, neither Don nor Jack is going to sit and hold your hand and explain to you, the viewer, how to get a crowd and whip them into such a state that they're literally throwing money into your pocket. (If you want to learn how to get a crowd, get Don's other dvd, Building a Tip) No, that you have to figure out on your own. But after a few viewings of this set you'll be well on your way to improving your audience management, your patter and your attitude. This set is something to be studied, dissected and reflected upon, not watched once and shelved.
Veteran and experienced performers might be at advantage when watching these dvd's, as they may be aware of Nyberg's psychological forces, but novices should be made to watch this Clockwork Orange style.
I think I've established how important this is as a learning tool, so enough with that. What Don has captured on video is the last of a dying art form. For those who have never seen a live Jam Auction, myself being that group, we are very lucky to have the opportunity to be able to watch this in the comforts of our own homes. Heck, look at it like this, plunk down $50.00 for the dvd's at http://www.dondriver.com or try and catch Jack Nyberg's show and plunk down a whole lot more for what might be a whole lot less.
Adam,
I had a great time as well.Thanks for your business and all the kind words.Hope to see you this summer at Coney Island sideshow school.

Don
Don,

What is the Coney Island Sideshow school?

Tks!

DCB
http://www.coneyisland.com/sideshow_school.shtml
I just had the pleasure of meeting Don at the Syracuse fair in NY on Friday 9/4/09 where I got this dvd from him. Absolutely amazing! Not only was it great to spend time with Don, but getting his dvd's was a much added bonus. I've never gotten to see a Jam Auction live, but this dvd made my jaw drop! Thank you Don for making this available to the world!! If you are even remotely intersted in the business of pitching, then you'd be wise to invest in Don't dvd's!! Thank you again my friend!

Ses Carny
Hi Sescarny,

I enjoyed jackpoting with you.Thanks for your kind post.

Later,Don
I usually don't comment on Don's products (personal reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of his products). This is a must-exception.

I finally saw the jam auction DVD set last night. Flat-out amazing.

You ever hear of the guy who could sell refrigerators to Eskimos? Jack Nyberg's the guy. Want to see him in action? Get this DVD set.

On a dead Sunday morning Jack Nyberg draws a tip out of nothing and then gets even more amazing. By my rough count Nyberg grosses around $1600 on this particular pitch on a slow Sunday morning (could be off...it is hard to count accurately with your jaw hanging down to the floor). He gives one kickback (maybe $200, not sure) which makes a gross of $1400. Much, much of that is profit.

No amount of superlatives can do this justice. The comments you read on this thread are not exaggeration. It is difficult to believe but all this praise is very deserved.

You need to move on this now...many of the pitchmen are getting a bit long in the tooth. As tough as they are some day they will not be with us anymore and they may take their products with them.

The Café is supposed to be magician's helping magician's. One of the best things I can do is get the reader to put this DVD set at the top of their list.

Buy it for yourself for Christmas...buy it for a gift...just get it now while you can or you will regret it when you can't get it anymore.

It's the best value in magic/pitching/outdoor/entertainment that I have seen in a long time.

Simply amazing.
Great video! You really see how Jack bonds with his audience. He knows exactly what his audience is thinking at each step of the way and he is quick to give a logical explanation for it. He can direct them to have a certain thought then make them believe that it's the right thought and that they came to the conclusion themselves.

You also get a great shot of Jack using the dollar bill bally to build a tip.
I've had opportunity to watch this several times now, and not to beat a dead horse, but I wonder if I'll ever stop catching new 'stuff' from Nyberg. My goodness, he is a master at not only coaxing paper money from their pockets to his, but he very quickly find his 'employees.' Note that in each case he finds a man and a woman who will be his comic foils. The woman usually ends up on the other end of some double entendre and inuendo and the man takes it in the ear. Good naturedly of course, but a happy crowd is a paying crowd and Jack seems to be a master at finding those sources of happiness. He can even find the one sourpuss who can be won over - a guy or gal that I would normally have steered clear of! Don Driver has, for the past several years, opened up some doors for us that have long been closed. Thanks to Don we have seen how those guys at carnivals, flea markets and home shows can build such a crowd and then how they get the money. He has showed us how to build our own place of business and then get stock and turn it into big money. All of this he has offered at a price that is more than fair - lets support these efforts guys! We need to take advantage of this information, for if not for Don and guys like him, this could have been a dying art. I cannot speak highly enough for this project and all the others Don has offered. I am not an employee or anything, but I can tell you this - you'll not be disappointed with any of these DVDs. They are just that good.

Mark
Agree with most of the previous posts.
Interesting insight into how people are manipulated.
VERY good stuff.
Jack Nyberg sure knows how to get the money.The pitch I taped on this DVD was at 8:00AM on a Sunday morning and Jack talked them out of about $2,500 AMAZING!

Later,Don
I recieved the Jam auction dvd's a little while ago and boy they are brilliant! I learnt so much from just watching this, I mean there isn't any actual teaching on here but just from observation you can learn so much from these. Just by looking at how people respond to things and why they stay and why they stop and just the basic psychology of what people like. When I first got it I thought it would be of no help being a Jam auction and not an actual performer but jee was I wrong. Great dvd's Don!