(Close Window)
Topic: Presidents Day Tidbit
I mentioned elsewhere that I was working on an effect with a bit of a historical flair. I thought I would include this tidbit (which my effect is based on) for all of you to stump your friends on Presidents day.

When is George Washingtons birthday?

Feb 22, 1732 is the answer you'll most likely get and it is BZZZZZTTT the WRONG ANSWER. (Well kinda.)

The British had thought the Gregorian calendrical reform of 1582 to be some sort of Papal plot (to do what I'm not sure) and thus were still using the Julian calendar at the time of Washingtons birth. As Virginia was still an English colony at the time, Washington was actually born on Feb 11, according to the Julian calendar. (The eleven day difference accounting for the discrepancy between the solar year and the Julian calendar.) To complicate matters even moreso, the Julian year began in March vice January so Washington was born a year [i]earlier[/i] as well.

So the correct answer:

Washington was born on February 11, 1731.

Should be good for a beer. Or a punch in the eye :blackeye: .
Interesting tidbit!
This has been discussed before, use the search function
[url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=222915&forum=32&5&start=0#4]For an insight into my last post read here[/url]
One of Asimov's "Black Widower" stories delt with this to a minor degree. Seems when they switched calendars, shopkeepers lost 11 days of sales, but were charged for the full month's rent on their buildings. They actually protested demanding their 11 days back!
[quote]
On 2007-08-21 10:51, Josh Riel wrote:
This has been discussed before, use the search function
[/quote]

The notion that a given topic has been previously discussed has already appeared in numerous threads; use the search function.
[quote]
On 2007-08-21 13:15, LobowolfXXX wrote:

The notion that a given topic has been previously discussed has already appeared in numerous threads; use the search function.
[/quote]

I have said that exact thing numerous times, use the search function.

Also who is this George Washington person? I don't think anyone I know would have a clue about his birthday..... Of course I associate with dumb people so I can seem smart by comparison.
See? Now Burt is gatting some feedback. Good on ya Mr. Bill
***********!