(Close Window)
Topic: Shoot Ogawa's Ninja Rings
Just a quick note to let everybody who's been asking when Shoot's "Ninja Rings" DVD and Ring sets from Japan will ship. The answer is now! Those who have already ordered will get them this week.

Murphy's Magic Supplies will be the wholesale distributor. The DVD and rings will arrive in magic shops worldwide later this month.

http://www.bobkohlermagic.com has moved into a new facility in Las Vegas to better serve you.
We are in the middle of the move. This message is to let everybody know who's been waiting for this release as it will be another week before I get my emails out.

Thanks.
So basically, whats the different from ninja ring and linking ring ?
The Ninja Rings routine is designed for close-up performance, which is quite different from the stand-up standard linking rings with 8" to 10" rings set.

I think this set is ... I'm not sure of the dimensions, but I'm guessing 5"? Quite a unique dynamic and routine from what you're used to seeing with the larger ring set. You'd have to see a demo of it to really get a sense of how inherently beautiful the routine is (I don't think one is available presently).

Brian
Just about any magic shop in the U.S. has smaller close up rings for a linking rings routine, but they are cheap and you can actually see the joining of the ring (where it was soldered together).

The rings that Bob Kohler has are beautiful rings from Japan. There is NO visible soldering spots. I purchased a set from Shoot Ogawa when he lectured at the Magic Castle last year. He didn't have very many sets with him and he didn't have any videos/dvds of his Ninja Rings routine.

Shoot features his routine when he works the Castle. Very beatiful routine indeed! Once again Mr. Kohler has shown that he has an eye for killer routines!

The rings are actually small enough to fit inside your pocket for strolling situations. At the same time, however, they are large enough to be seen in a parlour type of setting (I saw Shoot's show in both the Close Up room and the Parlour at the Castle and he closed both shows with his ring routine).
I own the rings and the videos when I studied in Japan 1 and a half year ago.The rings,I have to say,are so beautifully made.You must love it.The routine is also very good for both laymen and magicians.But one point to mention!!DON'T perform the routine for Japanese magicians and laymen,they have already watched the routine hundreds of times.Every department store features the same routine...So I have a complicated feeling that whether I should perform the routine...cos soon everyone will only perform this one...

Alex
Hey alexhui,

I agree with not performing it for Japanese Magicians. However, the laymen here in Japan are laymen like anywhere else in the world. When I go down to the magic section of the toys stores here in Japan, the Magician on duty will always do the linking rings (and some Tenyo Tricks) for many flabbergasted audiences.

Too me, the linking ring routine is kind of jaded, but laymen seem to be amazed, even when it is a sub-par linking ring performance.

And from what I've noticed, the toy store magicians rarely sell the linking rings, despite always perform it. After a performance of the rings, customers will inquire about the linking rings, and the magician will say that it's hard to learn, and try to sell the customer an easy Tenyo Product.

KC
KC,

Your words are too to the point!!The routine,while is not for beginners,is ALWAYS performed by the magicians at the store counter.HOW RIDICULOUS!!!!!!Laymen are always shocked and then buy the rings,but THEY NEVER PRACTICE..................So I think the release of the Rings in department store is so stupid........Who makes this decision???

Alex
The only reason I can think of performing the Linking Rings in the Department store is so they can attract a crowd of people. Depending on the ring routine, it can usually be done surrounded, and so it is perfect for the Department store venue. And if customers want to see some more tricks, they can come up to the counter and see some Tenyo tricks.

I don't know why they sell the linking rings in the department store. But not all the department stores sell the "Ninja Rings", they also sell the Tenyo Version of the miniature Linking Rings. So it might just be to sell the whole Tenyo Collection.

KC
It's nice to see this announcement today. It goes along with Shoot Ogawa being on the cover of this month's MAGIC magazine.

On page 49, there's a photo of Shoot whose caption states that we won't see the rings and video until this summer, so it's a nice surprise!

Bob, when will we be seeing you and Shoot at the meetings? You've both been hard to find at Boomer's lately!
Shoot just flew over to Las Vegas today so try and get him over to Boomers.
Greg
You may see a demo at Hocus Pocus or just click here http://hocus-pocus.com/static/theatre_page.html

It is listed as Ninja Rings.

Jakks
Has anybody received anything this week?

Later.....
Steve
Received my DVD and Rings yesterday Thursday by Priority Mail from Bob Kohler. Rings are nice and haven't had a chance to view the DVD, yet.
First, let me thank everyone who has been waiting for the rings and DVD to ship. We just finished shipping the orders after a three week delay from the relicator.

It is true that in Japan the Linking Rings is a pitch trick sold in Department stores, in fact the rings are sold in America as a pitch trick at Magic Masters, although they sell a 10" version.

My impression of the linking rings is this. It's a classic routine that has been around a long as any other trick just like the cups and balls.

The reason it's a classic is simple. When it's well done it fools audiences. Yes, the secret is simple, but the rings are really a manipulation and choreography trick.

I've been doing a version of the rings at trade shows for twenty years. I have a great routine with lots of good jokes, an excellent choreography and I do it very well. I'm not saying this to blow my own horn, but to let you know that at the end of almost every show someone would come up to me and say "Wow, I've got a set of magic rings, but mine don't work like yours."

Vernon used to say to people who would come up to him after his performance of the rings and mention that they too had the rings. His response was "you can by a violin, but that doesn't mean you can play it."

The day after the Masked Magician exposed the key on national television I was in Atlanta performing at a trade show. Same results except that even more people were coming up to me saying that they had seen the explanation last night but they didn't know how I did it.

Obviously, you have to put in the time and practice to perfect any routine. But the visuals and touches that have been created by Cardini, Chris Capehart,Allan Haydn, Vernon and many others take a simple secret to heights of deception. To watch Chris Capehart perform a three ring routine on the streets of New York and absolutely destroy the minds of the audience is astouding. Think about this...one key and two singles. The simplest possible physical method. Exactly what the masked magician disclosed. Yet Chris' methods, choreography and performance comletely cancel the true method. If you are a student of the rings you must read his routine in the "Stars of Magic". Ditto for Allan Haydn's, Whit Haydn's, Vernons etc.

What makes Shoot Ogawa's performance of Masahiro's routine so amazing is even knowledgeable magicians simply cannot believe their eyes. The 4.5" rings allow manipulations that are just not possible with larger rings. The visual penetrations are perfect for close up as these manipulations can be done just inches from the eyes of the spectators with extremely small movements of the rings. The links don't seem possible.

So if you learn to perform any ring routine well I really don't think you need to worry if the audience "knows" the method. If they don't, you will blow them away. If they do, they will be amazed at your skill. You win either way.

The good news is that we finally have a version of this age old classic that fits in your pocket. It resets instantly and plays very big for the size of the props.

No one has mentioned it, but set of Ninja Rings is the exact set you need to perform Whit Haydn's "Comedy Four Ring Routine". If you've never seen Whit perform this cornerstone to his act you've missed the boat. It is one of the funniest routines ever. Even though I made the tape of Whit performing and teaching the routine, I no longer have any financial link (pun intended)so trust me, buy it. You can get it from Whit at http://www.schoolforscoundrels.com. The routine is priceless, the female spectator is sensational,so it you don't like the trick...

Seriously, it's difficult to find a prop like the Ninja Rings that can be done for such a wide variety of situations and at the same time is so practical. Add to the mix that with the same props in your pocket you can do the visuals or Whit's comedy routine.

I believe the Ninja Rings will be the close up classic handling of the linking rings. It's powerful today, it will be powerful ten years from now. It's just that good.
Bob:
While I am not a ring performer, at least not yet, I can tell you I had the true pleasure of watching Shoot perform the Ninja Rings at Boomer's. Everything you and the others have said about his performance is to the point. He truly performed magic. He did so slowly, precisely and marvelously.

Heck, I think I just convinced myself to go get the DVD and buy a set of the rings!
Hey guys,

I have a quick question:

At Hocus Pocus, does the $60 Ninja ring set include the DVD? After reading the description, I assume it does, but I would like to make sure. Thanks!
Daniel,

It does.But I am not sure whether they give you the Golden ring or Sliver ring

Alex
Is there a major difference in "Shoots version" and Dan Fleshmans? Dans comes with 8 - 5" rings and a video for only $35 and is also a version of Mr Yanagidas "Ninja Rings" - I would be interested in seeing a comparison of each before deciding which to buy. (like the Hundy 500 vs Slow Burn and other similar effects that seem to come out together). Also are Ninja Rings a brand name? Bob Kohler mentioned that Whit Haden used them in his 4-ring routine. They were fairly large if I remember 10" - 12" or so.
Question??
What is the "golden" version of the Ninja Rings and wondering (to Bob Kohler) if these will also be available in the U.S.
George,

In Japan,there are 2 versions of Ninja ring.Golden Rings and Sliver Rings.Golden Rings is the limited version and a carrying bag and a 'holder' is inculded.It gives you a elegant look when you carry the ring inside the bag(maybe it depends...).While the Sliver version just inculdes the Rings themselves.Golden Rings,which color is golden,is very beautiful,I think.I am happy that I own one.

Alex
Am I missing something? I can't find the online video clip of the routine referenced by Dr. Jakks above.
Alexhui
Thanks for the info. I guess the golden rings are unobtainable to someone in the states :bawl:
Dan,

Go to magicproshop.com and watch the demo. Shoot does an excellent job.

nalu
Murphy's Magic Supplies is distributing the rings and the DVD to shops/dealers. The Silver Rings shipped out from Japan on March 10th and thus should be to us by approximately March 17. It should then just be a few days before your favorite dealer has them. You DON'T want to miss this. It is awesome. Keep and eye out on Bob Kohler as he's got just a killer line up. I can't give out details but every item he has coming is fabulous.

Tim Trono
[quote]
On 2003-03-13 01:08, GeorgeG wrote:
Alexhui
Thanks for the info. I guess the golden rings are unobtainable to someone in the states :bawl:
[/quote]Alex,

I got a set of the gold rings directly from Shoot after a lecture at The Castle, so they are not completely unavailable. They are nice. I use the silver set for practice and the gold set for performance.

:nose:
I am also looking for the golden version without success.

After seeing shoot in Miami last November I approach his table to get a set of his rings and the guys in front of me snatched the last set.

I understand that they are not longer made in Japan either at least that is what Shoot told me.

I took it a step further and try to contact some people in Japan. a forum member was kind enough to translate a msg from the web page of Wizards Inn (apprantly the Japanes manufacturer) in which stated that they were no longer available.

From a commercial point of view does not make any sense. They sol millions of sets in department stores in Japan, and now that they have a new market, the don't make them any more.

If anyone has a set of golden rings that they want to sell, shoot me an PM.

Thanks,

Carlos

BTW If any of the reades are going to Japan or if you are already there, please check toy stores, they might have a few sets left.
[quote]
On 2003-03-13 00:06, Dan Watkins wrote:
Am I missing something? I can't find the online video clip of the routine referenced by Dr. Jakks above.
[/quote]

Dan,

It appears that Shoot's video clip is gone! I personally viewed it at the above url on 3/12/03 and today found it's been removed.
Dan,

they have a demo in http://www.magicsmith.com

Good luck.
nalu_magic, I went to that website and found the advertisement for the video, but no demo.

Carlos, same with Magicsmith, I read all the advertising on the video, but did not see a link to any performance.

I saw Shoot perform it live last year, but I want to watch it again, it was a wonderful routine.

Can anyone provide a direct link to a video demo?

Dan
Dan.........look here:

http://www.magicproshop.com/videodemos.htm

:cool:
[quote]
On 2003-03-03 01:32, alexhui wrote:
I own the rings and the videos when I studied in Japan 1 and a half year ago.The rings,I have to say,are so beautifully made.You must love it.The routine is also very good for both laymen and magicians.But one point to mention!!DON'T perform the routine for Japanese magicians and laymen,they have already watched the routine hundreds of times.Every department store features the same routine...So I have a complicated feeling that whether I should perform the routine...cos soon everyone will only perform this one...

Alex
[/quote]
I wander if the rings the same one sold in department store here in HK. They are called the chinese linking rings. :goof:
I'm curious about this routine. The presentation on the demo was wonderful. Almost too good. I would love to be able to do what I see on the video but fear it may be next to impossible for the average person. The moves looked so effortless - I am doubtful that many will be able to be as slick as the demo. I'm not against practise but I have a hunch that this routine may be above many peoples ability.
This routine is not above many people ability if you really practise.I can say it is too good for both laymen and magicians.

Remember the moment when I first saw the routine,I've doubted whether there was a new principle in linking rings.I know Shoot's master,Yonagida,was using the linking rings when he performed for me,but I just couldn't see when the ring passed through the key...

IMOP,the ring and routine are very good.And a little bit contrary to my initial post,after considering for a while,I think I missed my practice of this routine in the past while few people knew at that time.I should have practised it at that time.I think I will pick up my rings in near future and practise some routine(including Shoot's).
And try to remember,the routine is of Yonagida,not Shoot.But Shoot do it beautifully.

Alex
Practice, practice, practice...

I saw many local magicians buy these rings and the routine from Shoot at 2 South Florida lectures last year. None of these magicians are performing the routine. I've talked to many of them and the concensus is that the routine just didn't look very magicial in their hands.

I suspect that the DVD format will make learning this routine much easier. However, be ready to put in lots of practice time in order for the routine to look good enough to perform.

Above all, if you are going to perform this routine in public, please give it the time it deserves.

-Frank
Can you end "clean" like you can with the McAbee Rings ?

I have not seen the demo yet... so how would this rate with the McAbee rings, which I think is a beautiful routine ?

Scott
just watched the video demo.....looks incredible ,,,like REALLLLLL MAGIC!!!!
Scott,

It is not clean at the end,but if you buy 2 sets of rings,you can figure a way to end it cleanly.

Alex
Hey guys,

Are the Ninja rings any different than a "regular" set of linking rings? In other words, is it the presentation or the hardware that makes this linking rings so beautiful? Thanks.
The main link isn't that hard with practice. The thing that killed my pinky was the one handed link. I have two nasty blisters and they are quite painful. Other than that the routine is incredible. Shoot does it 100 times better than me, but I am getting there.

Jakks
So to clear everybody's doubt...

So which do the trick ?

The ring or the technique ?

Hope someone can answer this simple question ?

Thanks

Symmatrix
It's basically the routine and handling you'll be paying for. It's the same methodology as it's been for the past 100 years. The rings have just been made to accommodate the routine better.
I just had the pleasure of watching Shoot's teacher, Mashiro Yanagida, perform the Ninja Rings routine at Hollywood Magic. He was at the shop browsing along with several of his students (Shoot was off participating in the filming of a commercial for a local Japanese business). Just for fun, a couple of guys at the shop tried to perform the routine using a cheaper set of small close up rings. Without a doubt the higher quality Japanese rings make the routine much better. Buy the DVD and a set of the rings and you'll have an amazing, perfectly constructed routine that you will use for the rest of your life!
But is it in the capibility of every person to make it look as good as in the demo? I'd love to do a trick as smooth as I saw in the demo but it just looked too good.

What I'm looking for is someone to say that they bought the set and with BLANK amount of time had a brilliant piece to perform which looked as magical as the demo.

Any takers?
Hi Everybody,

If I get the Ninja Ring Routine and Can I apply this routine to 12" linking ring !!!

Thanks reading!!!!

Symmatrix :firedevil:
[quote]
On 2003-03-16 04:46, ns wrote:
But is it in the capibility of every person to make it look as good as in the demo? I'd love to do a trick as smooth as I saw in the demo but it just looked too good.

What I'm looking for is someone to say that they bought the set and with BLANK amount of time had a brilliant piece to perform which looked as magical as the demo.

Any takers?
[/quote]

I'm sure the time it would take would be different from person to person. I think it is obvoius this routine will take a good deal of practice to perform well. As long as you aren't adverse to conerted practice, why does it matter? :kidding:
I received my order of rings and DVD on Friday from Bob Kohler.
I highly recommend this to anyone!
As far as the average person being able to do this. I don't see why not. It is well within the grasp of anyone in the world who practices. It's like any trick. The more you practice, the more magical it will look.
The DVD has Shoot perform his brilliant routine, and explains it move by move. Very good teacher.
No one is answering the question: Is this routine different from the Dan Fleshman routine?
[quote]
On 2003-03-16 20:05, VernonOnCoins wrote:
No one is answering the question: Is this routine different from the Dan Fleshman routine?

[/quote]

I agree with veron that no one is answering to the question that we ask ?

Ponders ???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hope so one would give use some answer...

Symmatrix :firedevil:
Why don't you guys ask Bob Kohler yourself? He occasionally posts on this magic forum as well as other magic forums.

From what I understand Dan Fleshman and Reed McClintock have Linking ring routines based on Mr. Yanagida's routine and have incorporated some of the same handlings.

I know that Reed's is different from Mr. Yanagida's, I have his Defiance manuscript and it's different than Shoot's demo video. It's a different routine and handling of the linking rings, but in the end, it's the same effect. (Let's talk about something just as redundant, let's talk about all the piece-by-piece torn & restored Cards on the market.)

KC
[quote]
On 2003-03-12 09:27, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Is there a major difference in "Shoots version" and Dan Fleshmans? Dans comes with 8 - 5" rings and a video for only $35 and is also a version of Mr Yanagidas "Ninja Rings" - I would be interested in seeing a comparison of each before deciding which to buy. (like the Hundy 500 vs Slow Burn and other similar effects that seem to come out together).
[/quote]
Like the torn and restored card - there are a few versions coming out at the same time, Is Reeds also soon to be released or out already? I would like to see a comparison so I can make an informed decision before spending 60some dollars. What are the differences in the routines (I have seen both Dan's and Shoot's demos and they both look magical in different settings). What is the difference in the ring size and quality? I have a cheap set of 5" rings already can I do Shoots routine if I buy only the DVD or do the 4 and 1/2" rings make a move possible that a 5" ring can't do? What size and quality are the rings that come with Dan's video? What ring set does Reed use?
Just shopping for some info before buying (and leaning toward buying the DVD and practicing with my cheap 5"ers if possible.)
Stay magical, Stay current and Stay informed. :dizzy:
Poof,

See [url=http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000758]this thread[/url] on the Genii forum for the reason why you'll likely not see Reed's routine anytime soon. 'Tis a shame - I saw Reed's demo video and feel that his handling is a great addition to the rings legacy. Maybe he'll consider re-releasing Defiance after the furor over Ninja rings dies down - here's hoping...
Both Shoot and his teacher are very particular about the quality and size of the rings. Get the Ninja Rings and eliminate any questions about the difficulty, etc. :cool:
I've seen both Dan Fleshman's and Shoot's routine(Dan's on tape, Shoot's live multiple times and on tape) and they are different.

Both routines are based on the same moves, taught to both Dan and Shoot by Masahiro Yanagida.

Dan's routine uses 8 rings, Shoot's only uses 4. I believe Dan uses 6" rings and Shoot uses 4.5" rings. I personally find that smaller rings are easier to use. :)

While Dan's routine is good, the routine on Shoot's DVD is "lightyears" ahead in my opinion. Shoot's technique is flawless, and everything is taught clearly. Big kudos to Mr. Kohler for this. There is no reason anyone could not learn Shoot's routine if they put in the effort to practice.

If you want to buy a Ninja Ring routine, get Shoot's and a nice set of rings. If you can't afford them, Dan's routine comes with the rings required and would be cheaper then buying both the rings and Shoot's DVD. I highly recommend Shoot's DVD over Dan's, though.
It would be impossible to properly do the whole routine with 12 inch rings. Many of the moves depend on the small size of the rings.

Granted some of the moves could be applied to larger rings but the 4.5 rings are just plain perfect.

Someone asked if it was the ring or the technique. I'd have to say technique, true there is a key ring as with all linking ring sets, but what sets this apart is the advanced handling of the key ring to make it totally invisible.

The routine is so well constructed that even when you know a key is being used it still looks impossible.

You won't master this overnight, or even in a week, this is one routine that will take weeks (perhaps months)of steady practice to get it to look as smooth as the demo. It's within the range of the average person, but still you must be willing to put in the time to master it.

If you can't invest this time, you might as well stick with just a standard ring routine.

Just my 2 cents

Devin
Just about everyone I hang out with in Hollywood is currently working on the Ninja rings. The basic move is relatively easy to do, but some of the moves, such as the one hand link, will take time and perserverance. Shoot practically broke his pinky working on that move alone... but that' s the kind of intense practice he will put in. Believe me, this routine makes it look like they must be special rings even though they are not. I've now seen Shoot perform it hundreds of times and it never ceases to mystify me how clean it looks... even when you know what's happening. And the work on the ring never stops as I had the pleasure of watching Yanagida last night do some moves with them that just floored me.
As for anyone being able to do them... it takes practice. I'm already starting to see a couple of guys who have added it to their sets and they are getting good responses from their audiences. But they all admit that it requires a lot of practice and they suffer from painful pinkies from the one hand link.
Greg
symattrix.. i will try to ans your question. The Linking rings are JUST like any any other set. i mean the principle is the same... but the application is good. And some of the moves are difficult. The combination of these makes it a great piece of magic... i also am having trouble with the one handed link.... argh!!! back to practice... this is a long term inverstmen.

regds
Jonathan