(Close Window)
Topic: Sucker Explanations
Pretty simple here. What are your favorite tricks/routines with a sucker explanation?
I love the classic comedy silk to egg.

Kyle
Mac King's goldfish routine.

TW
The goldfish is classic......

Anyone know if that's an original idea of Mac's? I know the aerial fishing has been around, and the carrot bit is an old gag, but when that fish squirts out of his mouth, it's impossible not to react....

Ken
Vanishing coke bottle and produce a can of Pringles. I let people think the can is gimmicked and then open the can and eat a Pringle (I pour the Pringles in a clear container). My presentation makes it funny and the so called explanation is more implied. The idea of Coke to Pringles is from Martin Lewis.
Afraidy Cat Rabbit
[quote]
On 2008-01-03 14:52, Eric Lott wrote:
Pretty simple here. What are your favorite tricks/routines with a sucker explanation?
[/quote]

The color changing silk is among my favorites.
I use to perform with the Sucker Sliding Die.
I wrote a sucker explanation for signed card to wallet that incorporates rolls several separate effects into one routine and ends with the use of a WOW gimmick and a transmorgrifier device. It always gets a great response.

You can read my handling/script here: http://www.medicine-in-motion.com/Files/Fun/jpearson%20-%20card%20to%20wallet%20script.pdf

This fits my style, but feel free to use the ideas if you like them.
Torn & restored napkin.
Packs small plays big (my motto)
Here are my favorites. Sometimes it's hard for me to decide which ones to use, as I don't want too many sucker routines in one show.

1).Torn and Restored Newspaper
2).Sucker Silk to Soda Can
3).Silk to Egg
4).Tenyo's What's Next
I think magicians like sucker tricks and explanations more than audiences do.

Bill
I LOVE MY BABCOCK BOX......ALWAYS AMAZING.
Torn and restored napkin, used it in my show for years. Still plays well.
I used to love to do Soft Soap, but when they stopped making detergent boxes like cereal boxes, it's hard to find a box the gimmick will work with
I'm with Bill; such routines are tough to pull off. It's easy to come across like a jerk. First you ask them if they want to know the secret and then when they honestly say YES you give them an explanation they often can tell is a load of ####.
Thanks, Suspectacts, but I think we are outnumbered. I really believe such routines are a large part of why magicians are held in such low esteem.

"See, the coin is gone; it goes through that little trap-door in my hand. You're an idiot."

"No, the die isn't in that side of the box, stupid!"

"Ha-ha! No, the egg isn't under my arm, jerk!"

"WOW! Look what I can do! Bet you can't do that!"

Bill
[quote]
On 2009-01-12 15:32, Bill Ligon wrote:
"See, the coin is gone; it goes through that little trap-door in my hand. You're an idiot."
[/quote]

I think this type of "explanation" has been done to death, and it's almost the right time to actually begin to surgically insert little trap-doors into our hands. Because we've lied to people in the past about our hand-trap-doors, they are not going to believe us when we actually DO drop the coin down the little trap-door. We have 'em where we want 'em!
Hoppin spots is good because the audience thinks they're in on it until you do the moves.

The hippoty hop rabbits is a great sucker trick for kids.
Just an update:

Today I had the trap door surgically installed into my left hand. Once I'm fully healed, I'll try it out and let you know how well it works.
[quote]
On 2009-01-18 21:47, nathanallen wrote:
Just an update:

Today I had the trap door surgically installed into my left hand. Once I'm fully healed, I'll try it out and let you know how well it works.
[/quote]

Be sure to let us know how well it works. How do you keep from having it noticed?

Bill
I haven't had to hide it yet, as I'm just recovering. But I'm thinking the best way to hide the trap door will be a combination of Abbott's flesh-colored touch-up paint, and some strips of yellow ribbon tacked to the back of my hand, in a checkerboard pattern (think black art well table)... But if you have any ideas on keeping it hidden, please share.
Yes, the yellow ribbon sounds like a good idea. It would be quite attractive, too. Now, if I were you, I would paint my hands black (or just not wash them for a while), which would allow you to use the B-Art principle, at the same time. In addition, you might consider a tube running from your upper jacket pocket to the trap door. You could vanish a coin and then make it reappear in your hand. In addition, with a little bit of ingenuity, you could have smoke (and a lot of it) come from your hand (via the trap door) when something vanishes.

Bill
[quote]
On 2009-01-19 13:48, Bill Ligon wrote:
...if I were you, I would paint my hands black (or just not wash them for a while), which would allow you to use the B-Art principle, at the same time. In addition, you might consider a tube running from your upper jacket pocket to the trap door. You could vanish a coin and then make it reappear in your hand...
[/quote]

I'm not too sure about the b-art principle / paint idea. I mean, I paid extra for the opening/closing trap door option. It would be a shame to have to remove the door and hinges (it's spring-loaded and quite intricate). Plus, I wouldn't want to draw undue attention to my hand, and I think painting it would do just that.
I've decided, instead of strips of ribbon, to get lines tattooed onto my hand (same "hide the hole" b-art table idea). The tattoo guy in town didn't want to do work on a hand that just had surgery, but I signed a release form so it looks like everything will move ahead. This should be fun. I'll post pictures once all the work is done.
Great! I think your ideas will work better than mine. Keep us posted. I can't wait to see the pictures!

Bill
Okay, folks. The hand is healed and inked. I decided to go with a combination of ideas - the B-art well table principle and masking lines, and also keeping the spring-loaded trap door, so you can use the hand as you would any hand with a solid, flat palm.

I've snapped some photos of me openly demonstrating the basic idea, using a playing card.

Feel free to copy and share this image with your close magician friends... But only if they are worthy. I don't want this to get spread around all willy-nilly to the general public. I honestly believe this is the best thing created since the T.T. Enjoy!

http://maniacofmagic.com/Documents/Trap%20Door%20Hand.jpg
Talk about creative!

Bill
Haha! I think I have one of those in my wallet. Have to get it removed.
Lol