(Close Window)
Topic: Haunted Cane
Again - another voyage into my manipulation with bizarre imagery. I hope it brings some entertainment to your day.

I would post in the You Ought To Be In Pictures forum, but people here seem to be a little more like me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaEWVFK2YM4
That is REALLY cool! Thanks for sharing it.

Mark
Great! Thanks :)

Aidan
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Jan 4, 2008 12:06PM)
Only a few years back Michael Mosher produced and marketed
a limited edition of unusual “dancing canes”
especially for the Bizarre and Story-Magic performer.

They were a Victorian style walking stick,
the body was an antique cherry finish,
with brass finial and large ornate brass head.

Not only did these fit into any “Jack the Riper” or Poe timeframe,
they were extremely realistic looking,
weighed less than two-and-a-half ounces,
had perfect balance, and
came with the most strong but invisible th**** I’ve ever seen!

When we last spoke about it, Michael still had a few of these for sale,
I don’t know if he still does or how much they’d be,
but he is a Café Member if you want to track him down.

Along with limited edition magic, he also does move and tv
special effects and make-up work:

Michael@makeupguy.com

This style of cane would be perfect for a performance such as this,
or for a séance or haunted magic setting!

My two-cents,
Walt
This was really a dancing cane. It was a stick I spray painted right before I filmed. The weight was off - so I tried for more of a sticky feel.

I will look into the cane - thanks. I love dancing cane but is so hard to perform. When I was filming I asked my wife to come into the room. From 3 feet away she could not see the method.
I enjoyed that video, and I really liked the transitions between the cane and the balls.

Bill
I picked up one of Michael Mosher's marvelous dancing canes after reading Gene Poinc's routine "A Gentleman's Companion" on the Shadow Network. In Poinc's routine, it is suggested the walking stick belonged to Jack the Ripper, and the reason no screams were heard in Whitechapel is that the cane was used to "strike the heads of ladies before he disembowels them." The cane quivers a bit before leaping from the table and striking at the performer, attacking him. It was (in my opinion) one of Poinc's most brilliant routines.
I miss Gene.. he was a good friend. I was a somewhat frequent visitor to his "cave" and loved to visit and eat the cheese and crackers he always offered.

He was a huge fan of my original canes.. and I wish very much that he had lived to see the second edition of the canes..

Unfortunately, they have sold out.. (I have one for sale.. but I think it's recently spoken for.. write to me if you REALLY want it)..

Wait until you see what I have coming up... it's equally beautiful and will be a HUGE collectors item.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Jan 9, 2008 12:38AM)
These are what Mosher's version of the antique cane looked like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUl-RcVPhgM

Walt
Looks great - but boy does that guy have to work on his physical actions and pacing!!!
Nice looking cane. The routine is what I am working against in dancing cane theory. I see it written every where that the dancing cane is not magic - it is really more theater. I say hogwash. Try to establish a logical disconnect between the cane and the hand. Forget all that flying around nonsense.

Just a thought.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Jan 9, 2008 11:16AM)
SenseiStrange!

I agree 100%, it was first called "The Floating and Dancing Cane"
and the abbreviated title has done a dis-service to the magic.

The reason its magical value becomes drained is that it generally goes on too long,
the performer wants to do "all" the moves he can find or learn.

This was originally more of a throw-a-way sort of like an Airborne Glass should be, maybe 15 seconds of magic, BUT in those seconds the magician DANCING with the cane not just swinging it around.

I guess when you pay that much for a prop, you want to wring as much stage time as you can from it, but that thinking destroys the illusion totally.

I think your track of making it magic AND theatre is a good direction.

Magically,
Walt
The Poinc script has the Cane coming to alive to attack and kill the magician... now that is real magic
That was really cool. Thanks for sharing that!
But.. you'll notice that he's performing it against a WHITE background in full light..

that's HOW THIN the TH***D was!

IT was less than 2.5 ounces.. and it could be done in a living room