(Close Window)
Topic: Interlace
Uuuh. This is driving me up the wall. The gimmick's installed, I've got a nice routine to go with it - I have just one small problem, and I was hoping some of you guys could help me out a bit.

Without revealing too much, my problem is getting the ring onto the gimmick. The DVD gave several suggestions, but none are really adequate, in my opinion. The best it seems is the "Behind the Back - No Palm" method, but it doesn't work with more chunky rings. I've been trying to think of nice methods to get this done, but it's like a problem that doesn't want to be solved.

Does anyone perform this routine? Do you have any ideas?

PM me if necessary...

Thanks
Hold the gimmick across the palm of your hand with the two working ends in sort of a pinch between the thumb and first two fingers. Take the ring and simply and openly place it into the “workings” as if you are simply transferring the ring from one hand to another. You are now set, the ring is on the necessary. I thought it was pretty clearly explained on the DVD.
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Jan 8, 2008 08:38PM)
Richard's DVD explains if fine. Practice with it and it will become second nature. One tip... if you stagger the ends a bit... one a tiny bit longer than the other you may find them eaiser to get into position...
Mediocre is right... he fried us all at Dean's Shoppe with his handling. A great item and he does it well.
I try the ring on for size. I try to use some humour here especially if it is a ladies ring. While putting on the ring, the back of the hand faces the audience and inside my hand I am looking at the gimick while the ring goes down the finger onto the finger palmed gimick. Once it is looped make sure half or more of the ring is pinched and the remainder palmed, hand facing down.
If this is not clear PM me for clarification.

Eric
I use the method of trapping the gimmick on the inside and out side of my back pocket and I do a couple of ring on string moves then hand the string out for examination and then I act as if I am pulling my trousers up at the back but really your sliding it on the gimmick on then your on!!! The is so much misdirection when you hand the string out that you could literally just get it out of you pocket put it on the ring and your set!!

Don’t worry about this part of the effect because you have ample time to do it!!

Thanks, magico563:-)
Hello all,

Different question, same effect. I just ordered Interlace from MJM but I was wondering. Can you borrow multiple rings, have then disappear one at a time and then have them all show up on your shoelace? I'm not trying to guess at the gimmick, just thought that might be a cool trick to perform at a table or as a finisher to a linking rings routine.

Thanks,
Mike
No, They could not vanish seperatly. However, you might be able to vanish two at once, although it would be a little knuckebusting and might be hard to make look clean.
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Feb 7, 2008 09:20PM)
Hummm interesting.

It would be easiest to vanish the rings using a special two ring hank - or better yet, Lynetta Welch's "no ring hank". If the rings are light enough, you could probably manage it... but why? Are two rings twice as amazing? I don't think so... twice as hard? yea, more risky too.

Believe me, this trick is plenty amazing with one ring.
I think one ring is enough. Anymore and I think the rings will "talk" to much when all the magic happens.
You're probably right. I was just thinking that it might be fun at a table to borrow someones ring, vanish it, ask to borrow another ring and vanish that, and possibly borrow even a third and vanish it and then have all three rings on your shoelace. Not that it makes the magic any more powerful but that it involves more spectators that way. You could then move on from there to use the 3 rings in a linking rings routine or something.

I'm just starting out and trying to spark my creativity initially by adding to or modifying routines slightly with the hope that I can progress to creating my own routines at some point.

Anyway, should have the DVD early next week and I'm really looking forward to trying it out!
Theres always one on each shoe..
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Feb 10, 2008 09:30PM)
If you're looking for a creative twist,

You don't have to use a ring! It can be an ear ring, brass key, almost any small object that can be tied to a shoelace..

Put that in your creative pipe and smoke it!
Well! That's a nice mediocre twist! :)
Just kidding, I like your user name!

Mike
[quote]
On 2008-02-10 22:30, Mediocre the Great wrote:
If you're looking for a creative twist,

You don't have to use a ring! It can be an ear ring, brass key, almost any small object that can be tied to a shoelace..

[/quote]
Ya, but you better hope there is no metal in those "any small objects" or it could get a little messy. I would stick to the original routine it is perfect.

,Kenny
I like the gimmick etc...but the ring is ending up behind the tounge of my shoe. I've tried moving things around... Only thing I've thought of is using a thinner gimmick. Does anyone know who sells a heavy duty thin "you know what"? I bought some from a mechanics store, but they aren't nearly as strong as Sander's. PM me if you like.

Thanks.
Cane and Able,

There is a large selection of what your looking for at:
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp. They will have everything you could ever hope to find.

Best
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Feb 20, 2008 11:39PM)
I had this problem to a minor degree, it's probably becuase the (***) needs adjusting a little lower. Making sure the shoe is tied tightly and the tounge is as flat as possible also helps. Do you put it inside or underneath? Inside is better, but not really necessary. I put mine under the sock.

I'm sure it's just an adustment. You can try changing out with a different size thing-a-magig, but Richard Sanders has put a lot of work into this... I don't think it would work as well if it was bigger or smaller... the strength and size seem to be perfect.

Are you using the little extra gizmo on top? That should improve the accuracy.
I've tried mounting the ****in different positions...higher ,lower etc...

The construction of my dress shoes force me to mount it under the tounge, and not inside. I do mount it inside of the sock though. I also use the little extra gizmo on top with the same "bad" results. It's working 50% of the time correctly.

I know Richard put a lot of work into it...it just doesn't seem to suit my shoes with the size of *** provided.

Thanks for your help and I'll also check the website nonvpro provided.

Cane
It's all in the adjusting. When you adjust it right it will never miss.
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Feb 23, 2008 09:52PM)
This must be very frustrating for you. Have a helper get down on the floor and look at it as your pants naturally hang. have that perosn verify EXACTLY where it's coming out. If it's adjusted to be on top of the knot, there's no way it's going to land up under the tounge. Keep adjusting, you'll get it.

As a final last resort, it might be worth trying it out with a different pair of shoes... After I got it all adjusted, it works all the time.
I had the same problem so what I did was mount it inmy sock and got some double sided stivky tape and stuck the tounge of my shoe to my sock problem was solved hope this helps yopu out
Dean Dill has a version wearing shorts.
Hi guys.

Please help me out here.

I bought Interlace a while back and looks like a great trick and all but the DVD did not play on my player and my P.C. I sent away for a replacement DVD which took at least a month to arrive (I live in South Africa), low and behold this one does not play either..........

I am so frustrated, has anyone else had this issue? It does not make sense because my player and P.C play all other DVDs and this DVD does not work on my systems and my friend’s ones. The DVD does not look scratched or anything like that.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Trying to keep calm Ilan
I found that if you have your pants adjusted right then it works with most shoes, of similar style. I use a pair of casual dress shoes for formal, and a pair of puma running shoes for the rest of the time. Both pairs of shoes work in all the pants that have been interlaced, but it did take some fine tuning on where the gimmick and lace come together. Keep on working with it, as someone else suggested it just might take bringing in a helper to see where the ring lands exactly.
Also something I found very helpful is look for shoes with softer tongues that way the lace, tongue, and gimmick lay as flat as possible with your foot. That could help if you continue to undershoot your mark. Or you could always go with the shorts presentation
Makes me want to think of another method.
This worked right out of the box for me...exactly the way Richard Sanders describes it. I have 2 pants and 2 pairs of shoes set up with no problem. Its a fantastic effect that I even used in a stand up show (banquet venue).

If its not working for you...its usually operator error. Richard Sanders describes everything in great detail...even what could go wrong. I never had a problem.

Rich B.
Does anybody know if Richard is out of town touring I ordered from his site on 3-24-08 but have not heard back from him. I emailed him twice and PM on this site.
I know he is a great guy I and will get back to me when he can but I have a gig this weekend and wanted to try out EB and Interlace.

thanks,
http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/celebracadabra/series.jhtml

interlace is performed on celebracadabra check it out
Try using Mr. Sanders other product (anyring) along with it. I found that this method helps in those situations that you are surrounded, Or when you have found a heckler. If my memory serves me, he touched base on this in his dvd.
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Apr 26, 2008 10:06AM)
The nice thing about using the hank is you can frame the effect for a larger audience. I use the ring hank along with Ring Finale with two volunteers. The first volunteer loans me the ring and “holds it under the hank”. On my other side is a volunteer that holds the Ring Finale Purse at their finger tips. As I stand in the middle I make gestures indicating that the ring is traveling from the hank to the purse. After the hank vanishes, everyone is expecting it to be in the Ring Finale Purse.... instead they find it's filled with gorgeous prop rings but not the borrowed ring. This is a wonderfully funny and suspenseful moment. I then reveal the ring to be on my shoelace. (or my wallet)

This works really well when performing for a large gathering of people in a reception or at a long dinner table. Having two spectators holding the props on each side frames the effect nicely. This could even work on stage.
The big problem with this trick is that if it goes wrong - it goes wrong, outs are hard to come by with this trick. Although it works for me most of the time - most of the time aint really good enough. I've come to the conclusion that I've either got to get it working 100% of the time (rather than the current 95%) or abandon it, which is a shame.
Hi Kalsolar,

Sorry to hear that you are having a little problem with the effect.

I have been performing Interlace now for almost 2 years straight and I have only had the effect miss the designated spot ONCE due to the fact that I borrowed an extremely large football type ring that must have weighed almost as much as a deck of cards.

I have noticed that some people have a problem if the sl***e is not set up in the right place or that at the time of performance your p***s are crooked.
I always do one last little look down check before I do the effect and it never fails me.

I have a few other suggestions that might help but that cannot be discussed on a public forum so feel free to email me at info@sandersfx.com and I will be happy to help you out!

I will have a whole bunch of new clips of live performances of Interlace, Extreme Burn and lots of other new effects coming very soon at http://www.sandersfx.com

I hope that helps for now

Best,

Rich
Hi guys,

I just wanted to say that Interlace is one of my favorite effects to perform if I really want to impress the heck out of someone. This gets seriously close to real magic for people!

If you really want to hear some solid reactions from people, try using Interlace as a closer to a ring and string routine.

Here's how I do it and it gets screams!!!
After a series of impossible penetrations with the ring and string, (which I call a shoelace) I end by vanishing the ring and telling the spectator that the ring is back on the shoelace. At this point the spectator looks at the shoelace in their hand and discovers that the ring is not there...they look up at me... at which time I say, "Not that shoelace..." I let the sentence register for a beat or two, then I slowly look down at my feet without saying a word...they follow my gaze...and there they see it, hanging from my shoelace, THEIR RING... they FREAK!!!!

I recently had the opportunity to perform Interlace on very well known political figure at a high profile corporate function...have you ever seen a Head of State really freak out...it was amazing!

Interlace was recently performed on VH1's Celebracadabra by former Kid in Play star Chris Reid and he did a BANG UP JOB!!!!

BTW, FOR THE NEXT 2 WEEKS, Sanders FX is featuring a super special offer on Interlace; as well as a bundle deal on Interlace and Any Ring.
You can find this special at http://www.sandersfx.com
If you don't already own Interlace this is the time to check it out

Thanks for listening,

Rich
Interlace is truly an amazing effect and now that I just heard the routine mr.sanders said, I wish that I had never sold it. (I even had it installed in my pants)
Triplemagic92
Wow you sold it, how could you. I just bought another one from Mr. Sanders. Its the best trick ever. I second Richard opinion about the ring and string routine. Richard always thinks things out before he put out a trick. That's way he is my favorite.
I can't take it any more. I'm ordering mine tomorrow.
Thanks for the deal Mr. Sanders, will be picking up Interlace tomorrow.
Extreme Burn is my favorite EZ money variation.
With all respect, is this just 'On Foot' with an added 'you know what'?

After playing with my friends 'On Foot' for five minutes, we had made up one with a dongle and fitted it all in a shoe. This was over four years ago. In fact, it might have been on a Max Magic episode. That was 2003/4.
We didn't market it as it didn't seem too different to 'On Foot'.
I was about to add this to an order but would like more info, as our version would never get caught on the tongue of the shoe or whatever. The gimmick ran through the eye hole.

Joe
? Any info, a simple yes or no via PM if need be.
Interlace works for me 99% and is well worth the 1% goof up.
I can not do 100% on most things I do anywho, but have learned to gracefully recover in most situations.

Interlace and Extreme Burn are on my top 10 out of hundreds of effects I have used.

Thank you, Mr. Sanders, for putting out quality magic and never selling us crap.

Eric
Hackmonkey, no Interlace is not just On Foot with an added you know what. It is a bit more than just that.
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Sep 30, 2008 10:38PM)
The Interlaced product sold by Richard is extremely well thought out and is a real worker. His DVD is extremely well produced and offers 10 really practical routine ideas. I'm going to shut up now. It's too good to share. However, I will bet that many don't go to the trouble to actually install the wardrobe modification required. That keeps out casual hobbyists.
I have Interlace, and yes, it takes effort to set up and use well. I also brought 'Exit' by Peter Eggink (key flight to neck loop). I am in no way rubbishing 'Exit' (although, I found it was not for me and do not use it), but Interlace by contrast has such a huge amount of detail and thought in the DVD, it really shows that Richard worked very hard to make this as accessible and user-friendly as possible
Hi to you all. Please could someone answer these two questions for me -

1) I wear Converse All Star that is a kind of basketball boot I guess that comes up to your ankle. Does Interlace work with these or do I need a shoe or trainer only?

2) Once the set up is complete, can you wash the trousers without damaging the gimmick?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Jun 16, 2009 10:54PM)
I think it's possible it would work with a boot shoe, but it will take some special adjustment and experimentation to know for sure. You may want to PM Richard Sanders and ask him if he knows anyone who ever tried it.

Yes, you can have your trousers cleaned without damaging the gimmick.
Thanks for that. I have emailed Richard at his website so hopefully I'll hear something soon.
No reply yet so I'm guessing Richard Sanders is otherwise disposed right now. Anyone else able to PM me re my Converse boot question?
[quote]
On 2009-06-24 07:09, UncleBunkle wrote:
No reply yet so I'm guessing Richard Sanders is otherwise disposed right now. Anyone else able to PM me re my Converse boot question?
[/quote]

I don't want to say yes for fear of being wrong. But if you were to do it you would need to make modifications and a special little something.
[quote]On May 15, 2008, kalsolar wrote:
The big problem with this trick is that if it goes wrong - it goes wrong, outs are hard to come by with this trick. Although it works for me most of the time - most of the time aint really good enough. I've come to the conclusion that I've either got to get it working 100% of the time (rather than the current 95%) or abandon it, which is a shame. [/quote]

I agree entirely, I was just about to buy this but decided to look here and see what others were saying first as I don't believe all the hype on video's any longer as they are seldom performed in the real world. I purchased Cosmos 3, a great color separation with a deck of cards but sadly it just does NOT work 100% of the time despite my best efforts over many many months.
I know this is an old thread but wanted to ask...I bought interlace a long time ago but never used it. I was going to set it up just trying to find a good pair of pants since my style jeans that I usually wear are too skinny for it to work. Do you think the pants need to be very baggy in order for the gimmick to get to the destination? Does anyone have problems where the gimmick doesn’t make it all the way down?