(Close Window)
Topic: Which trick inspired you to memorize a stack?
I suspect most people decided to adopt a stack because they saw a trick (or tricks) they just [b]had[/b] to perform. (I suppose a slim minority of others found it attractive for entirely different reasons.) For me it was definitely Ackerman's Opener. This routine clearly affected my thinking because it made me want to incorporate a true full deck blockbuster trick into the stack I would choose. Ackerman uses tetradistic stack, which is two faros away from grouping together each and every four of a kind in the pack. Needless to say, his routining excellent.
For me, it was ACAAN effect (Barrie Richardson's on his excellent TOTM). I even memorized Aronson Stack just from Mr Aronson's free PDF on memorized deck magic on his website. I learnt the stack within a few days (or weeks?) and it's worth all the effort! Not only ACAAN (which makes me want to memorize a stack), now I can do many killer routines.. not to mention Mr Aronson's Everybody Lazy
Watching Chan Canasta work his magic...

mescalito
For me, it was Histed Heisted by Simon Aronson. I originally used to use the Paul Fox Miracle Gimick routine, but I really did not like the requisite fishing. Even though the fishing techniques were extremely well crafted, I could never remember them well enough to perform the routine with confidence. When I read Aronson's approach with Histed Heisted, I knew what I had to do.
Nick
I cannot recall.

I know this much: it was an effect of [i]Simon Aronson[/i]'s, probably from having read something about it written by [i]John Bannon[/i]. I remember this because I went into a local magic shop to find a book of [i]Simon[/i]'s so that I could learn his stack. Unfortunately, the book that I got was [b][i]Simply Simon[/i][/b]; it doesn't list [i]Simon[/i]'s stack at all! However, it has a ton of great effects. I finally got [b][i]Bound to Please[/i][/b] and, as they say, Bob's your uncle.
Everybody's Lazy by Simon Aronson. Arguably the best mem deck trick ever created. I read the effect in Simply Simon and had to learn a stack. (Aronson Stack.)

My other main reason for learning a mem deck was to have an easy set up for a shuffle bored effect.
This might be distracting, but if anyone who posts wants to also add a note indicating which trick might inspire someone to memorize a stack today, I'd appreciate it. I'm a little intimidated by stacks and would love to do something to introduce me to these types of effects.
I think my inspiration came from Michael Close videotapes firstly but the trick that really made me learn my stack cold was Darwin Ortiz´s zen master.
Chan Canasta
Now that I've thought about it some more, I think it was [i]Michael Close[/i]'s [b][i]The Invisible Deck[/i][/b].

I think.
[quote]
On 2008-01-12 09:11, organicmagician wrote:
This might be distracting, but if anyone who posts wants to also add a note indicating which trick might inspire someone to memorize a stack today, I'd appreciate it. I'm a little intimidated by stacks and would love to do something to introduce me to these types of effects.
[/quote]

Not distracting at all. That was actually a central part of my evil plan, but instead of asking people to speculate I elected to emphasize real, authentic experience. It's fun to learn others' experience, how they work. It also prevents initiates from being bombarded with ten posters submitting overlapping lists of brilliant mem-deck tricks they think might interest someone with casual interest (there are already half a dozen such threads).

This thread was inspired by someone recounting an episode where a magician was badly fooled by "The Trick that Cannot be Explained" (using a memorized deck). The problem is that this is something we must experience first hand in order to fully understand, either a spectator or performer. Similarly, it's difficult to describe what makes mem-stack use so enriching, but I think it has something to do with a definite underlying structure and open-ended possibility. Plus, you can do impossible three card locations like Everybody's Lazy :)
When Steve Ehlers performed his 3 card location for me. It shook me to my foundation. I HAD to find out how it was done.
Ed
Barrie Richardson's ACAAN. I actually learned Nikola because that was the only source for mem decks that I had then. I'v e since become an Aronson fan.

Jack Shalom
Well, it wasn't a trick, it was a book: The Faber edition of Encyclopedia of Card Tricks. I had already gotten into mnemonics when I found Harry Lorayne's How to Develop a Super-Power Memory. I had used it extensively in High School for memorizing formulas in Physics, Valences in Chemistry, and all kinds of things. While at the University of Michigan I had lots of opportunity to do close-up magic in my dormitory, etc. I got the Encyclopedia of Card Tricks and discovered the Nikola Card System in the back of the book. Because I had already used the Harry Lorayne card mnemonics to some extent, I used his card codes and learned the Nikola Stack. During those college years, I used the stack for things like "weighing" the cards, knowing how many cards were in a cut, etc. After graduating I went into magic full time and became a stand up performer. While I had a few close up things I could do, over the course of years, I stopped using the Nikola stack. And, of course, forgot it. Years later, after settling in Northern California, my love for close up was rekindled and I began to actually book some work doing close up. Even today, I do more stand up shows, but I work close up whenever possible because the intimate association with your spectators gives a different kind of satisfaction. Having been in magic, and having worked with the Nikola stack, I decided to get back into memdeck work. I was well aware of Simon Aronson from the time he was one of Marlo's "proteges." And I was aware of his stack. So, I bought a copy of Bound to Please and I was off and running. I found that Histed Heisted was something I could do often in stand up shows so it was the first thing that I really started using.

Dennis Loomis
I have always seen the power of the memorised deck in its application as a utility device.

Rather than being drawn towards the tool due to a particular effect, I have always recognised how I could improve the power of effects that I already perform, with the addition of the memorised deck.

Mind you, I am only now beginning to trully get stuck into learning a deck, but once I have it down I know that I will not rush to add particular tricks to my repertoire, but rather, I will spend time fine tuning, and perfecting pieces into real miracles.

Owen.
For me it was also Barrie Richardson's ACAAN effect in his Theatre of the Mind best seller. And Juan Tamariz had just come out with his Mnemonica book which has dozens of great memdeck effects.

Many thanks to Nick Pudar for his wonderful Stackview utility! It’s definitely a wonderful tool to learn and keep your memdeck sharp (33 is the Eight of Clubs!).

** Bill **
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Noobini (Jan 15, 2008 11:12AM)
I figured I could use it to to something like Lennart Green does when he asks someone to name a card and then has that card appear in some odd fashion. A trick for which he ironically doesn't use a memorized deck at all. :)

It suddenly occurrs to me now that I haven't actually ever done this myself after learning the Aronson Stack.
My very first magic lecture was by Michael Close. He asked someone to name a card, and then was able to cut to that card. I waited quite a few years before putting the effort into memorizing a stack, but am glad I did.

Dave
To Noobini,
One of the best of the "spectator names a card" effects along the lines you suggest is Simon Aronson's "Two Beginnings" from Try the Impossible.
https://loomismagic.com/item4330.htm

Dennis Loomis
Tameriz 4 of kind, saw it on a video and it had me really entralled
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Noobini (Jan 16, 2008 12:39PM)
[quote]
On 2008-01-16 12:32, Dennis Loomis wrote:
To Noobini,
One of the best of the "spectator names a card" effects along the lines you suggest is Simon Aronson's "Two Beginnings" from Try the Impossible.
https://loomismagic.com/item4330.htm

Dennis Loomis
[/quote]

Yes, I actually know that one. It is one of the few Aronson effects I have actually tried performing. It went rather well too because it is a wonderful effect.

Now that I think about it, I think this very Aronson trick actually replaced my planned Lennart Green-inspired trick before I had time to try it on somebody. :)
I just memorized a deck to prove that I could - then again, I started with the Nicola system and that didn't work (in retrospect, I should have adapted rather than adopted the suggested technique from the Encyclopedia of Card Magic).
When I decided to give it another shot, I learned about different stacks (Aronson & Tamariz) and got caught up in the Mnemonica craze.
Tamariz' technique (Visual Method) to learning a stack worked for me (full deck stack in 2 days; a year on, hardly using the stack, I can still recall!).
It was after learning the stack that I saw Tamariz' 4 of a kind - like JB - and fell in love with the power I had. I've performed it only 3 times - only do it when I'm in the mood (and the stack handy, doh) - but the reactions are always great.

One Q on this, though: when the Queen needs to be worked I know I fumble, any ideas anyone?
It was a trick that I saw Darwin Ortiz perform at a lecture, funny thing is, now I don't even remember the trick HA
"The Drunken Poker Deal". I learned in a card magic book written by John Scarne. "Scarne on Card Tricks"
I got the MEM DECK bug after reading the Workers series by Mike Close. With help from Dennis Loomis and others, learning the Aronson stack was a great investment of my time. Histed Heisted is one of the best effects ever. The Birthday Book by Close is also a great routine. See Dennis Loomis' comments on the Birthday Book on his web page.
It was not only a trick by Michael Close, it was what he said. After seeing Michael do some of his Jazzing, Michael referred to his memoriized deck work and referred to the construction of a skyscraper.

He said that, though it is a huge project, a little bit is constructed every day. Eventually, you have a skyscraper. I decided to practice a little every day and learned the Aronsen stack.
Ken,

You bring up an excellent point on encouraging words. Denis Behr has a chapter on memorized deck work in [i]Handcrafted Card Magic[/i] where he discusses committing to memory a certain property of a mem-stack. My immediate reaction was "[i]screw[/i]... THAT!" However he reassures the reader not to worry, "it's only half as difficult as it sounds." Although... in my case I still have not even attempted to put his advice into practice.
Ha, you should try it! It really is half as difficult as it sounds. Of course, if it still sounds twice as difficult as you'd bother trying, that doesn't help...
(There are other interesting applications.)

Denis
All that I've seen Juan Tamariz perform over the years.
It was a memorized deck routine by Derren Brown called [b]Plerophoria[/b]. And then later on, I came across Luke Jermay's [b]Remote Viewing.[/b]

Thanks for Harry Lorayne's book [b]Super Power Memory[/b] which made my life a lot easier.

I never used a stack before I learned these routines. And now, I do them a lot oof times.

Currently, I am planning to study Richard Osterlind's [b]Breakthrough Card System[/b] and [b]Aronson's Stack.[/b]

Alel
It was a memorized deck routine by Derren Brown called [b]Plerophoria[/b]. And then later on, I came across Luke Jermay's [b]Remote Viewing.[/b]

Thanks for Harry Lorayne's book [b]Super Power Memory[/b] which made my life a lot easier.

I never used a stack before I learned these routines. And now, I do them a lot oof times.

Currently, I am planning to study Richard Osterlind's [b]Breakthrough Card System[/b] and [b]Aronson's Stack.[/b]

Alel
I saw Chan Canasta on that brittish show, he did the booktest and revaled peoples cards.
Osterlind effects from BCS..
For me it was Laurie Ireland's observations from "Ireland Writes a Book." He offered a lot of interesting tricks and gave the best advice I've seen on how to get possession of a card merely named by the spectator. I didn't use his stack however as the Nikola stack was better explained in "The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks." I've developed a number of effects using the Nikola but it was Ireland that got me interested.
For me, it wasn't an effect per se. I either read about or heard the concept of a memorized deck being discussed by other magicians, and started asking questions. I didn't really understand at the time how memorizing a deck could help you in magic, but I was intrigued, especially when the people I talked to sounded in awe of the tricks that were possible. Simon Aronson's work was mentioned, so I picked up his books and started reading. It didn't take long to become a believer!

Not long after I had memorized AS, I met Mike Close at Abbott's annual convention. He was killing people with mem deck work. It was really cool. I remember getting fried (he had me hook, line, and sinker) with that trick of Juan Tamariz's (finding 4 of a kind, sucker style). One other time that week I was sitting at a table listening to Mike and some others. He was talking and doing some magic, and I was stacking my deck into AS. When I was done, I flashed him the 9D, and he took over, asking if he could borrow my deck. He killed with it.

On a different note, I'm surprised at how many of the posts above were influenced by Canasta. I heard amazing things about him, but have never seen him perform. Is there any video of him available?
I'm yet another victim of Michael Close's jazzin' with the memorized deck. At one memorable Magic in the Rockies convention. Michael was frying magicians with his memorized deck work, and I witnessed some miracle stuff. Eric Mead was there as well, and I just couldn't believe the miraculous things these two guys could do.

I've also seen Simon Aronson kill magicians with his stuff, and Juan Tamariz's use of this tool is legendary. If you have any interest in the memorized deck, get a Simon Aronson book (perhaps you could start with Bound to Please), a Tamariz book (Mnemonica, naturally), and Michael Close's Workers series, particularly Workers 5. If this material doesn't motivate you to learn a memorized deck, take up stamp collecting!

I've used the memorized deck to do a very effective version of any card at any number, and I regularly do the Birthday Book. Lately, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Michael Close's handling for Monkey in the Middle. It takes a great effect and raises it to miracle class.
I was at a Mike Close lecture and he essentially said (if I recall right) that "take a card" effects can become more powerful "think of a card" effects with the memorized deck. I didn't like the stacks that were out there (a lot of focus on gambling routines that I have no interest in) but I eventually met a fellow at Magic Talk who clued me into creating my own stack. Using some stack software, I was able to create a deck that can get into Daryl's Double Dazzling Triumph and OOTW as kickers. That, plus ideas from the Joyal book about making the deck easy to memorize got me started. Memorizing someone else's stack, IMHO, is not so easy.

- Frank
I actually never knew what a mem deck was until a local magician gone mentalist who I knew personally told me one day to learn a memorized deck. He didn't tell me what it was or anything. He said that it's all he does now....
I actually never knew what a mem deck was until a local magician gone mentalist who I knew personally told me one day to learn a memorized deck. He didn't tell me what it was or anything. He said that it's all he does now....
[quote]
On 2008-04-16 13:22, Frank L. wrote:
I was at a Mike Close lecture and he essentially said (if I recall right) that "take a card" effects can become more powerful "think of a card" effects with the memorized deck. I didn't like the stacks that were out there (a lot of focus on gambling routines that I have no interest in) but I eventually met a fellow at Magic Talk who clued me into creating my own stack. Using some stack software, I was able to create a deck that can get into Daryl's Double Dazzling Triumph and OOTW as kickers. That, plus ideas from the Joyal book about making the deck easy to memorize got me started. Memorizing someone else's stack, IMHO, is not so easy. [/quote]

Interesting, Frank. Is your stack based upon or inspired by Bob Klase's work? I believe Klase's stack has one or two effects directly built-in, and one of them is definitely Daryl's Double Dazzling Triumph. It's also supposed to be easy to get into OOTW, and it has the ten card set up for the Jonah card routine.
I was inspired to learn a memorized deck simply because I wanted something that I could practice without a deck of cards in my hands. In the car, in the shower, while the boss is lecturing you... all kinds of opportunities to refine your skills.

Plus, I presumed that it would be easier to memorize a deck of cards than to perfect the classic pass or some of the other sleights that I wouldn't dare perform in front of an audience yet. Turns out I was right.

-Al
That three part clip of Chan Canasta on Parkinson.
For me it was two things...
The first was the Hands off Memory Test. It's just a great trick that can play really big.
The second was a slew of stuff I saw some guy do at the hat the hare pub at the castle. He was great... wish I knew his name. Carries around a violin case, long hair... something like a South African accent. His weighing the cards sort of tipped the memdeck... but everything else blew me away.

great stuff.... anybody know who I am talking about?
Simon Aronson's "Twice as Hard" routine from his "Try the Impossible" book. After reading that effect, I just knew that I had to learn a memorized deck and perform this effect--and other memorized deck effects.
I wanted to do an Osterlind BCS effect, but appeared to be succumbing to an aneurism when I tried to calculate the next card. Memorizing the thing was much easier.
Simon Aronson's Everybody's Lazy. And it was well worth it!
[quote]
On 2008-05-11 17:29, scody wrote:
For me it was two things...
The first was the Hands off Memory Test. It's just a great trick that can play really big.
The second was a slew of stuff I saw some guy do at the hat the hare pub at the castle. He was great... wish I knew his name. Carries around a violin case, long hair... something like a South African accent. His weighing the cards sort of tipped the memdeck... but everything else blew me away.

great stuff.... anybody know who I am talking about?
[/quote]

Tony Picasso. He's amazing, and, yes, his mem deck work is great.
For me it was Ackermans Opener as well. He really amazed me with that routine.

This led me onto the idea of learning a stack, and I looked at both Aronson and Tamariz Stacks but opted for Simons in the end.

Memorizing a stack changes your card magic arsenal to WoW Level!
That trick that convinced me to memorize a stack was David Harkey's "OutSmart" from [i]A-HA![/i]. It's a trick whose simplicity is confounding. You bring out a deck of cards, and ask someone the name of their very favorite playing card. You then spell that phrase, and the last card of the spell brings you to the card they named!

This trick, when done right, can play extremely well. David Harkey describes a special "certain something" that helps with the trick, but with a little thought, and plenty of practice, you can make the trick incredibly deceptive by removing that "certain something".
Control in Chaos!!!!! This is all you need. It set me free!
One evening in NYC I was with the Monday Night Magic crowd, and Asi Wind was just going off the wall with effect after effect and when we got to talking, he just said one word to me: Tamariz.

Then I started reading a few ACAANs, and figured it was about time....
The first time I ever tried mental effects with the "Eight Kings" stack, I wondered "What if I could do this and the whole deck looked completely innocent?"
I then bypassed Si Stebbins and ended up firmly in Aronson-Land.
(Although Si Stebbins has its place.)
How many of you guys (and gals) really use your stack for an ACAAN effect? My pass is not great, so I hesistate but.... It seems foolish not to take advantage of knowing a stack.

Any thoughts?
[quote]
On 2008-07-08 10:20, Nathan Alexander wrote:
How many of you guys (and gals) really use your stack for an ACAAN effect? My pass is not great, so I hesistate but.... It seems foolish not to take advantage of knowing a stack.

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

It's funny you mention that because I, as well, rarely ever perform ACAAN even though that was my biggest influence in learning a mem deck. I've found that laymen who were fascinated by it were just as easily impressed by a simple divination. And besides, math and patter really don't get along in my head.
[quote]
On 2008-07-08 10:20, Nathan Alexander wrote:

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

ACAAN is one of my favorite effects. If you want to see how I use it, [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=195865&forum=37&post=4908059]look here.[/url]

I also use the memorized deck to perform a thought-of card to wallet, the Birthday Book, and a strange and wonderful presentation for Ron Wilson's The Whispering Queen.
Yea, that sounds like it plays very strongly. My fear of my ability to mess it up is something I'll have to practice and just get over. I know it's worth it.

So here goes. :)
That would be great to see, but alas I can't access to that page, as I'm a new user... But nevertheless I master the Tamariz stack and should be able to see it... Could you give me another link please ? If not I'll wait...
By the way I personnaly love the Ortiz stuff, like 'The Zen Master', very strong !
I saw a lecture by Aronson...that did it...I now know and use the Tamariz stack.
My inspiration was a 3-phase mind-reading trick by Bill Malone (in Here I Go Again, Vol. 2). After seeing that, I HAD to learn the Aronson stack. Now I use a few routines, with my own variations, from "Bound to Please". My fave is Histed Heisted.
Zen Master by Darwin Ortiz. BTW, if you do stack work, Eric Mead's stack essays in Tangled Web are a must- read!
Mike
Maximum Risk by Ortiz. But I now do the other version in the book that doesn't require a stack.
I have a primordial, formless swarm of ideas not yet developed into any kind of full-blown tricks. But I'm happy to say that I have memorised the Aronson stack this very evening and it was pretty smooth going :) I'm not up to speed on the recall yet, obviously; there are a couple of associative steps I have to go through.

I was myself into mnemonics, and 'lightning calculation' tricks, before I really got into the rest of mentalism and magic. So a few years ago I memorised the squares of numbers from 1 to 100. Not that I can recall those now!
Man, whoever created this thread is a jenius. It's nice to learn what pushed people into memorized deck.

Nspikito: I think the trick you're talking about is called "Hands Off Memory Test," which is something I perform regularly.

Janus: As you may know, Denis Behr has a version of this effect that takes you into stack order. Personally, I prefer the similar in handling Vollmer trick called Earthly Powers (fewer cards, kicker ending, spectator can cut the packet that gets "dealt").
I didn't really learn a stack for a specific trick, rather learned it after a recommendation from Jon Racherbaumer to check out Simon Aronson. I saw the potentials a stack possesed, especially in his work, and became hooked. But If I could choose a trick to demonstrate the power of a memdeck and why I still use this tool, it would be Histed Hiested. Can't think of a more powerful mind-reading demonstration than that.
LOL I remember way back when I was a child, I found Eight Kings in a library book and saw the possibilities. I learnt the system and promptly performed what I thought was an awesome trick for my mum. Well, I guess I just caught her at the wrong moment and she was harrassed/busy, because it did not have the impact that I had hoped for. I must have got disillusioned and just left it for so many years. When I read the mnemonic again on ths very forum it was remarkable. Anyway, the Aronson work is coming along nicely. I hope to get some Aronson literature for Xmas.

Last week, I was actually playing around with an interlaced Eight Kings/Jackass setup, adding offsets to the sequences, and adding new suit cycles such as DSCH (the musical cryptogram that Russian composer Dmitri Shostakovich used) and SCHD ('schedule'). Man, what a tangled web of mnemonic epicycles! Anyway, it's much easier just to memorise a deck and have done with it!
It was 'Group Shuffle' by Aronson that did it for me... Magician friend did the trick and blew me off my feet.
It was "2 Beginnings" From Aronson and Bill Malone's "Hands Off Memory Test".
Jeff
In 1999 my partner Tom Allen was working the Castle.

While there Gordon Bean gave me a copy of Simon Aronson's A Stack to remember. THANKS GORDON!
I had seen Simon do wonders at the A1 Close-Up Conventions in Sacramento and I'd seen Mike Close do amazing things with the stack as well, so I knew it was VERY POWERFUL.

Shortly before Tom's engagement at the Castle I had suffered a big emotional loss and when ever that happens to me I treat myself for getting through it by learning something I always wanted to do. So, I had no clear goal, I just wanted to memorize the stack. It took my mind off things and I got a Great tool to boot.

I memorized the stack before I realized that there was a nemonic system in a couple of pages that would have made it easier. DOU!

My friend Dennis Loomis is always frying me with Aronson stuff I haven't seen.

-Mary Mowder
ACAAN
I knew in order to have A workable a.c.a.a.n. I would need to know A mem. deck and after working at it for many months I can honestly say I've developed a very impressiive method. Only one deck used out from the begining, after hearing the card and number I just dump out the cards and hand the deck over and let them count the cards face up in a pile until they reach their selected number and find their chosen card. This method requires no estimation of the cards you will know just what needs to be done, and the only thing the spectator will see is you handing them the deck. This is not John Borns Meant To Be it is much simpler and uses no gaffs. Just you and your mem. deck.
Drphil, sounds interesting. What memdeck do you use?
Edh. I use the Aronson stack but any well memorised stack will work.
Drphil, Are you selling this? Is there some video somewhere of you performing this?
I'm in the proces of finishing an Ebook. Though it will only work for those that know A mem. deck. However if you know A mem. deck there is an a.c.a.a.n. that meets john borns conditions. with different handeling and much simpler math. Same results just easier to do. This is not to put borns method down or any one who uses his method. I have and enjoy meant to be, and it was only after trying to master his method that I knew I had to come up with something different.
Sounds interesting!
The Si Stebbins is awesome! I've been using it for 3 years and NOBODY has figured it out. I have 3 different ways of using it. I do a thing where I pretend that I can hear the different sounds that every card makes and by that I can tell which card is missing ( they freak out). And then the obvious mind reading effect and lastly, an automatic writing effect where I have them hold the end of the pen and I pretend that they are doing the writing. I've had people drop the pen!
To Amazingjim210,
Try doing Mike Close's Guatamalen Miracle with a Si Stebbins. I like it a lot.
Dennis Loomis
It's not a specific trick for me, it's pure influence by Senor Juan Tamariz! I've been using cyclical stacks for years but I decided to get Mnemonica and commit myself to it. I feel like a noob again! What a wonderful feeling!
I saw a Simon Aronson lecture and was hooked by the concept. Oddly, I learned the Tamariz stackc. It seems that Aronson, Tamariz, Close and Richardson are the most common inspirations. Asi Wind does some nice work with one too.
Being a fan of Tamariz, I had picked up a copy of Mnemonica a number of years ago. It sat on my shelf for a while and I occasionally made efforts to memorize it, never fully committing myself to it (bad form, I must say). Then a friend of mine started to learn the stack - not wanting to be out done (or have him beat me to learning it), I buckled down and learned it, it came much easier that time around. Also, John Born's "Meant to Be."
Having a stack buddy is the way to go. I did the Aronson stack alone and then it faded from no use. I later did the Tamariz stack with a friend and it is burned in. If you have no friends -- stackview is a resource you will want.
I learned the Aronson stack after seeing Bill Malone perform a 3-phased routine with it.

Spike
For me it was a very simple variation of Si Stebben, the 8 Kings stack (for lack of a better term, the stack uses the CHaSd method, starting with 8C, KH, and so on. To make it more effective I found one of those "crooked" decks of cards that are actually crooked in shape, as in a slanted "Z" shape. A simple, easy memorization when you know the whole line, Eight kings threaten to save ninety-five queens for one sick knave. You can't shuffle but you can cut as often as you wish. If you want the stack, PM me. Best, Bob
I cannot remember the name of the sequence, but, I was looking for a REALLY impossible Poker dealing sequence that built on each succeeding stage to a crescendo that made me look like Ortiz!

So, I found it in Try the Impossible. Since then, my magic has been taken to crazy levels :)

Dennis, I JUST got Guatemalan Miracle two weeks past. It looks like it is a KILLER. Hope to get to it by this winter.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: Mary, your story was so very cool. I am sorry of course about the emotional loss you suffered, but, it was the catalyst for you getting into this wild part of card magic. I am glad you did :)
Isn't this thread about memorized stacks?

If so, I just wanted to point out that neither the 8 Kings or Si Stebbins setup is actually a memorised stack.

I personally use Tamariz' "Mnemonica" stack, after switching from Aronson.

For anybody interested in mastering a mem deck without the advantage of built-in effects, you might want to check out Martin Joyal's "6 Hour Memorized Deck". Very simple, and will get you on your way fast if you don't need anything stack-specific.

Cheers.
Mr. Warrens, I am curious as to why you switched for Aronson to Tamiriz's stack? Would care to ellaborate.
I didn't know any memdeck tricks after learning a stack!

I wanted to know the advantages of learning a stack...

I did a search on the café and in less than an hour, I picked an old copy of Mnemonica laying on my dad's "magic room" (we call it that way).

Vlad, I'm thinking about that Guatemalan miracle. Since it has no description, I wanted to ask you if its worth it...

The only effect I bought without a full description was the 5 card opener. And its great.

I do not work with close-up. But I perform it almost everyday for friends and possible clients.
It was not a trick so much as the idea itself , once I came across it. I have a background in computers , that might explain why I saw the power right away .

Talk about being ahead of your spectator - you are 52 steps ahead:)
[quote]
On 2010-07-26 14:29, edh wrote:
Mr. Warrens, I am curious as to why you switched for Aronson to Tamiriz's stack? Would care to ellaborate.
[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply, I hadn't checked for responses.

To answer your question - I really like some of the built-in effects in the Mnemonica Stack, and the fact that I can get it set-up from new deck order so easily.

Aronson's stack is also wonderful, but the ability to set-up the stack openly (if desired) is priceless for a guy like me who works in the trenches.

Hope that answers your question well enough. :)

Cheers.
[quote]
On 2008-01-11 05:06, Cain wrote:
I suspect most people decided to adopt a stack because they saw a trick (or tricks) they just [b]had[/b] to perform. (I suppose a slim minority of others found it attractive for entirely different reasons.) For me it was definitely Ackerman's Opener. This routine clearly affected my thinking because it made me want to incorporate a true full deck blockbuster trick into the stack I would choose. Ackerman uses tetradistic stack, which is two faros away from grouping together each and every four of a kind in the pack. Needless to say, his routining excellent.
[/quote]

I am still a beginner - moderate level card manipulator.
With that said,
I recently adopted my first stack, The '*i S******* ****k' so that I could perform 'U* the ***e'.
I dig it man. :)
Ok, just so we're clear: Si Stebbins is NOT a memorized stack. Neither is the 8 Kings.

A memorized stack means that you know every card at every position and vice-versa.

For example: 18 = 3 of Clubs, 10 of Diamonds = 41 etc.

Not to sound like a grump (I'm not!) I just strongly dislike when things are inappropriately labeled, especially when living in the "dis-information" age. :)

Cheers.
[quote]
On 2010-08-13 18:26, J.Warrens wrote:
Ok, just so we're clear: Si Stebbins is NOT a memorized stack. Neither is the 8 Kings.

A memorized stack means that you know every card at every position and vice-versa.

For example: 18 = 3 of Clubs, 10 of Diamonds = 41 etc.

Not to sound like a grump (I'm not!) I just strongly dislike when things are inappropriately labeled, especially when living in the "dis-information" age. :)

Cheers.
[/quote]

:-(
Outlaw - that last post placed wasn't aimed at you - several others also have the same misconception.

Hope that helps!

Cheers.
[quote]
On 2010-08-14 03:24, J.Warrens wrote:
Outlaw - that last post placed wasn't aimed at you - several others also have the same misconception.

Hope that helps!

Cheers.
[/quote]

:)
ACAAN- I was obsessed with the effect for a while and I just had to learn a memorized deck!
For me it was after a friend of mine fried me with Steve Ehlers' "Three Card Location."

It's still the most amazing effect I've ever seen with a memorized deck. Even if that was the only effect I did with my memorized deck it would have been worth it.
I saw John B. Born perform and lecture on Any Card At Any Number. I was hooked. I'm still obsessed with the effect, actually.
[quote]
On 2008-01-11 05:06, Cain wrote:
[/quote]

I never forget the first time I saw Michael Close work miracles with a mem stack. I still have that DVD to this day, and it was the beginning of a great journey for me.
Spectator's just can not grasp that you would actually take the time to memorize an entire deck!