(Close Window)
Topic: Hobson Egg Bag
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

There are some fantastic egg bags out there on the market, I mean some great ones. In a world filled with wonderful bags I found the one that is just right for me. The Hobson Egg bag. Just the bag itself is beautiful. The silk outside makes a snappy pocket square. I wore it as one at a corporate event last night and got several complements on it. Another thing, it is wider than it is long. I have big hands and always had a problem of making the handling look too "fidgety" when I turned it inside out. With this bag my fingers go inside and I can very fairly turn it inside out while showing the inside of the bag at the same time. This thing handles like a dream.

The egg, oh how I love this egg. It is made out of a HARD resin. You could play hockey with this thing and not break it. It is also HUGE. Compared to other eggs on the market this thing shows up nice and it is so big it gives the illusion that there is no way that this thing wouldn't make a big ol' bump in the bag if it was in there. Best of all, you get two of these bad boys.

The handling. Jeff Hobson's handling is a work of art. Remove all the gags and bits he does and just the physical handling is a masterpiece of subtlety. You do not have to prove the bag is empty because you actually show them that the bag is empty. This allows you to get in, get out, get the check, and go home early. Billy McComb always suggested, "If you buy my stuff, try it my way first. I've beaten the routine in for years before I sold it to you."

Taking Billy's advice, I tried it Hobson's way last night at a corporate walk around gig. That is another thing I never would have done with any other bag and routine I used. I never would have done it close up table to table. Hobson's routine is so straight forward that you can play this thing anywhere. It hit these people like a hammer to the forehead. It's a great routine. There are also spots in the routine that scream, insert shtick here. If you are a comedy worker this thing was designed to be a personality piece. I did not use any of Hobson's lines or gags, I used my own. Let's face it, there are probably more lines out there for the egg bag than any other trick in magic. I ran a search on "egg" and "bag" in my joke file and came up with over 500 hits. Remember, chicken jokes come in there, old bag hokes, I mean really think about it, this is a workers dream if you have the routine that allows it.

No more egg under the arm to muddy up the effect for me, this routine is pure effect that hits them hard and has a lot of places to hang your funny.

This trick is going to be a feature for me, I am so sure of that I came home last night and ordered another set bag, eggs, and all. If you find something that works for you always buy two if you can't afford a dozen.

This prop may be pricey compared to some of the others but it is worth every penny, every penny.

WOW!

Best,

Dan-
Thanks for the review.
I love Jeff and I love the egg bag.
I had thought about buying this, but I always wondered if you had to be Jeff to make it work.
If you're not Jeff, is this just another egg bag?
I guess not.
Now you are making me think again.

Randi
Danny's right about the construction of the bag. It makes working the routine so easy, you can really concentrate on the presentation. It's perfect for stage, parlour and walk-a-round. What more could you ask for...

You will not be disappointed with this bag.

Ken
Danny, thanks for taking the time to give us such detail on this!
I just want to mention one last thing and I can't believe I forgot to mention it before. The bag is two toned, red outside and black inside. I know what you are thinking, "So far so what." But I always thought this was a weakness with a lot of bags. If it was the same color inside and out to an audience, a stage audience anyway, they might think you were doing something 'clever' and not actually turning the bag inside out. With the two tone you really SEE the bag turning inside out. Maybe a subtle point, but I think it is one off the things that brings the effect to the next level.

Best,

Dan-
Danny, thanks for your time! Now you made us to think again..... I thought it was just another egg bag but with Jeff's name.
Id think the 2 tone feature gives away how the trick is done.....
Joshua,

I can understand where you are coming from, but the exact opposite is true. I was literally doing this trick right under my helpers nose and had people sitting just a couple of feet away. I repeated the trick for different tables and several people came over to watch twice! I swear, if you use Mr. Hobson's handling there is literally nothing to see. You can't even see the egg in the bag yourself when doing the routine. You use such a light touch (and the reason you can use such a light touch is because of the width and depth of the bag), and the bag is so openly displayed the actual method is the farthest thing from their minds. They think it goes up your sleeve, and they WILL grab your sleeves which is very funny if you play with them.

I had one lady grabbing my arms and I just stopped and looked at her and let her feel away, I then looked at the table I was working for wide eyed, and then back at the lady. People were cracking up. When she finally stopped I looked at the table and said, "Well I wasn't going to stop her, that's the most fun I've had all week!"

As I said, having used MANY of the other bags I can absolutely understand where you are coming from and normally I would agree. This bag is completely different from the materials used, the way it is cut, and the handling, just make it incredibly deceptive. We all know that over the years Mr. Hobson has built a world wide reputation with this trick. He closes his show with it, it is the feature. He must have spent years developing this thing because everything is right where it should be. It is kind of like getting behind the wheel of most high end luxury cars. You sit there and every button, lever, and cup holder is right where you would have put it if you built the car. You think it can't get any better and then on a cold winter morning the butt warmer turns on and you say, "Only a genius would have thought of that!"

The Hobson egg bag is like that. I feel a little silly raving about an egg bag but it's the truth. It is the Bentley of bags.

Best,

Dan-
Sounds cool, although I don;t perform the egg bag for people ( iv practiced it for knowledge sake) I might have to get it for fun.
I have the Hobson Bag and LOVE it. I only have one problem though, and it may just be me, but when I turn the bag inside out the pocket seems obvious to me. I haven't performed this yet because I'm afraid the spectator will see what I'm seeing. What do you think about this Danny?
Interesting to hear you are so happy with Hobson's bag.
I purchased his Great Chain Illusion and found it to be far from what it was pitched to be and was totally disappointed with it.
When I first read the ad for his Egg Bag and saw the price I thought this would be another over priced deal.
I currently use a Tarbel type bag, if you had any experience with this type how would they compare?
[quote]
On 2008-01-21 21:27, Mac_Stone wrote:
I have the Hobson Bag and LOVE it. I only have one problem though, and it may just be me, but when I turn the bag inside out the pocket seems obvious to me. I haven't performed this yet because I'm afraid the spectator will see what I'm seeing. What do you think about this Danny?
[/quote]

If you use Hobson's handling there is absolutely nothing for them to see. No kidding, I was doing it right under people's noses. I did not find the special bit of the bag to be any more noticeable that any other Malini style bag.

Best,

Dan-
[quote]
On 2008-01-21 22:28, 61magic wrote:
Interesting to hear you are so happy with Hobson's bag.
I purchased his Great Chain Illusion and found it to be far from what it was pitched to be and was totally disappointed with it.
When I first read the ad for his Egg Bag and saw the price I thought this would be another over priced deal.
I currently use a Tarbel type bag, if you had any experience with this type how would they compare?
[/quote]

WOW, I own a great chain illusion and think it's fantastic. I just did it in a comedy club last week, it got a great reaction. If you'd like to sell yours I'd be happy to take it off your hands. It's always good to have a back up. I'm a full time pro and I know several other full time professionals that use this illusion in their act to great effect. Like the egg bag, it needs the right presentation to really come across.

Best,

Dan-
I've seen this in action and can say that it's the tops!
I loooove Hobson's egg bag, and Hobson's easy handling. I have been using it to close ALL my shows--kids and adults. But since I'm basically a ventriloquist, I make the egg talk during my routine.

Aside from Hobson's, I also like and use the Fabric Manipulation Silk Legacy egg bag.
There are things that working Pro's use, that to many of us seem to be dull or bad tricks. Then we see them use it and go "$%#^&, I could ahve been using this".
The Great Chain Illusion is very effective. I too would be interested in taking it off your hands if you not using it anymore.
I hate you all.
I had totally convinced myself that my egg bag was just fine.
But now you come here writing such a great review and talk me into buying it.
Thanks!! Like I have the money for this.
So I guess I have to eat roman noodles for awhile, because I just bought it.

Randi
Randi,

You won't regret it....

I like roman noodles..

Ken
I'm a big fan of Top Ramen! The chicken flavor is my all time favorite. You won't regret it Randi! Don't hate the playa' hate the game. :)

Best,

Dan-
[quote]Don't hate the playa' hate the game[/quote]

OK... you talked me into it...wait... :arg:

Randi
Danny, I sold my chain illusions. The problem I had in a street act with people up close in full light they picked out the gimmick right away.
The effect was good but didn't work for me due to mechanical reasons.
Interesting I was told by someone the construction changed a bit during the construction run but I could never confirm that.
Randi,

Thanks for your order. Your Hobson Egg Bag shipped out this afternoon. You should have it in a few days. Enjoy!

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Thanks Paul... you know that I always order from you.
I got free shipping, right? :rotf:

Randi
[quote]
On 2008-01-20 20:05, Danny Hustle wrote:
[/quote]

In regard to the Hobson product, how do the Hobson eggs compare to a blown egg?

Thanks
ASW
[quote]
On 2008-01-23 03:52, ASW wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

In regard to the Hobson product, how do the Hobson eggs compare to a blown egg?

Thanks
ASW
[/quote]

I personally think they are great. BUT there is a school of thought that thinks you should ONLY use a blown egg because of the delicacy of the egg and the way that most egg bag routines repeatedly 'prove' there is no egg in the bag by smacking them and beating them from hell to breakfast. It is a valid point, but the Hobson handling 'shows' the bag empty and the size and hardness of the egg really sells the over all effect.

For me, the Hobson egg is fantastic, but depending on what your routine and ultimate expectation is YMMV. The good news is a blown egg will work just fine with the Hobson bag. For me personally as a guy who does between seven and eight shows per week all over the place the indestructible Hobson egg is the way to go. If I personally were using blown eggs I know I would show up at a gig with a busted shell and no trick. This has happened to me in the past with the perfect egg. The perfect egg is a GREAT egg but it can still be crushed. For someone that does a lot of shows there is no worse feeling than being ready to do a gig for a couple hundred people only to go into your case and find your egg is crushed and the nearest supermarket is twenty minutes away and you go on in ten. As I said, it happened to me before and is another reason why I had dropped the trick from my show.

I can tell you with the Hobson Handling and bag the audience is floored and has no problem accepting the 'fake' egg. The fact that it is solid is what sells the effect in this case.

I guess that was a long way to go to really just say that it is a matter of apples and oranges. The two are different things all together.

From the stage, nobody would suspect it was a fake egg unless your spectator/helper told them. With proper audience management that isn't a problem.

Best,

Dan-
Thanks Danny - much appreciated.
I can't remember whether it was in Genii or Magic that there was a point made on the review of this. The one possible weakness noted was that the bag was two toned. Johnny Thompson used to use a two toned bag, but went back to a one toned bag. The fact that there are two tones implies that there is two layers of cloth, which could possibly lead the more astute in your audience to the workings of the trick, at least partially.

Bob Phillips
I'll go by Danny's experience and bow to his expertise.
[quote]
On 2008-01-25 10:09, bobn3 wrote:
I can't remember whether it was in Genii or Magic that there was a point made on the review of this. The one possible weakness noted was that the bag was two toned. Johnny Thompson used to use a two toned bag, but went back to a one toned bag. The fact that there are two tones implies that there is two layers of cloth, which could possibly lead the more astute in your audience to the workings of the trick, at least partially.

Bob Phillips
[/quote]

That's magician over thinking I believe, this bag is not giving anything away. I just worked a corporate gig tonight and did this trick five or six times in a row for different tables and trust me when I tell you, these people were gob smacked! This bag has an answer for every theory a spectator might have. The spectators that were helping me with the trick had absolutely NO CLUE the egg was in the bag. One lady when I handed her the bag for the final revelation kept watching ME because she was trying to figure out how I was going to sneak the egg into the bag while she was holding it. These were all very educated people, many of them engineers. The smarter you are, the harder you fall with this thing. It isn't a challenge, and the structure of the routine is such that everything is so openly shown, and freely handled, there is nothing to see. You don't have to prove it's empty because you show them it's empty. Once people see something they believe it. With Hobson's handling this bag appears empty.

Theories are great, and I'll be honest with you, that two tone argument has a logical application. It just does not fit with this prop.

Best,

Dan-
Just got my egg bag, watched the videos, and have been playing around with it.

I would like to reiterate what Danny has said.
This is a nice egg bag.
The construction is very nice and the design works great.
The material is great and you can't see the egg in there at all.

The eggs are nice too.
When you first look at them, you think they are just toy eggs.
But they are hard as a rock and light at a feather.
These are nice.

And Jeff's handling is perfect.

Very happy with my purchase and can't wait to perform with it.

Randi
Oh... and the two toned thought.
Thinking that the two-tone will show that it's double thickness is definately a magicians "over thinking".
If any spectator ever would think that, they would think the same about an all black egg bag.
When they notice that they can not see any stitches, that too tells them that it's double walled.

So I disagree with that thought.
I like the two toned.

Randi
[quote]
On 2008-01-26 16:41, randirain wrote:
Oh... and the two toned thought.
Thinking that the two-tone will show that it's double thickness is definately a magicians "over thinking".
If any spectator ever would think that, they would think the same about an all black egg bag.
[/quote]

Right. It's all about the handling - the convincers. Check out "Ken Brooke On The Malini Eggbag" which is probably one of the best handlings. When you slap the crap out of the bag, the audience will be convinced there's no way an egg could survive. (Pete Biro drew the illustrations for this set of notes, IIRC).

ASW
Wow. . . all hub-bub about a silly egg and bag trick.

I love it when people "get it".

Thank you all - especially Danny - for all of the very kind words and thoughts on this humble trick.

Jeff Hobson
I was going to get this, but heard Jeff gives no instruction on the classic pass.
I'd leave the comedy to Jeff.

;)
David Regal talks about this on Reel Magic Quarterly #3 ( which, is a must have ) and shows the bag.

WOW-I agree, the two tone is brilliant and I LOVE the size.

Anyone ever see Jeff perform in person? He's so good, you almost think about never performing yourself again.
Jeff's scheduled to appear at Stan Kramien's Northwest Magic Jamboree in April. I hope to see him there!

Curt
From watching Jeff perform over the years and seeing him use many different bags and also listening to him lecture ....he has de-bugged the heck out of this thing ...you would think no one could do such a thing with something so simple as an egg bag but he has.....right down to the egg!!! NO JOKE ....sounds nuts but this is prob. his #1 pet effect ..... I think if you saw his lecture on the effect you would understand why the bag is two tone ...... trust me .... and yes it sounds like a lot of $$$ but then again these are hand made ONE by ONE by him and his wife CHUCK!!!
Danny,

Appreciate your comments on Hobson's egg bag. Being on oversized, big handed magician (...big hands I know you're the one..!), this is an important point for me. I have an egg bag made by Lynetta Welch according to Wakelings specs in his book--yet enlarged for my hand size.

Would be interested in Hobson's bag just for the handling alone.

A quality made bag is great, but since my gal is an expert seamstress she makes anything I want out of any material I want which is a huge benefit (had Lynetta make my other bags prior to meeting up with my gal). Often I end up having her remake fabric stuff for me. She made a number of absolutely killer rip apart and drawstring change bags for me.

Anyway, Danny, I just wanted to say thanks for your info about Hobson's bag and to thank Jeff and Hocus-Pocus for making it available to us.

John J.
Nice price here:

http://penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=9523
That is a big discount. Is it on the level? Is it what Hobson is putting out and not an unauthorized copy?

Thanks,

John J.
Anybody have info on getting the 2nd bag
using the code that comes with the first bag?
I just e-mailed Jeff and asked him how to use it, and he sent me a link. I just included the password or secret Code that comes with it in the e-mail to him. There might be another way, but this is what worked for me.

John
[quote]
On 2008-02-09 11:23, inhumaninferno wrote:
That is a big discount. Is it on the level? Is it what Hobson is putting out and not an unauthorized copy?

Thanks,

John J.
[/quote]

It's the Hobson package. They just take care of their customers instead of that "can't be discounted" non-sense you see "some" dealers use.
[quote]
On 2008-02-09 11:31, WayneNZ wrote:
Anybody have info on getting the 2nd bag
using the code that comes with the first bag?
[/quote]

I think that code is for add. instruction that can be down loaded, not on getting a second bag ..... :o)
Thanks Christopher, I just wasn't familiar with that company. Appreciate the info.

John J.
Hi guys. . . thank you for all of the great comment on the Hobson Egg Bag. To clear things up, if you purchase my Hobson Egg Bag package, you get a coupon code which allows for one additional Hobson Egg Bag purchase at a reduced price. This is only for previous owners who bought the package. There is also a code for owners to be able to access a special web site for additional instruction on the Egg Bag in addition to the mini-DVD that comes within the package. So, RevJohn and awolf, you're both right!

I have had some ask if I would sell the bag separately. I wouldn't be a good idea since you can't do my routine without the Hobson bag. You also can't do traditional Charlie Miller/Ken Brooke moves with my bag. To separate the DVD instruction from the bag would not be good. You need one with the other. Trust me, $149.00 bucks is cheap for a solid, professional, audience-tested routine. Think of how much money all of you guys have spent on magic stuff that you don't use?????? I'll bet it's much more than $149.00!
I did a cooperate party last night and did the Hobson bag, and it killed.
The lady demanded to know how it was done. Of course I didn't tell her.

I have bought a few expensive tricks lately.
Hobsone egg bag, RNTII cups and balls, Kranso Mental Frisbee, and few less expensive things.
Out of all of them, the Hobson egg bag has been the best and most worth the price.
Hands Down!!

Randi
Randi,

I knew you'd love it! The handling is just so straight forward and incredibly fair looking to the spectator. I've performed it about 25 time now for paying audiences and my jokes, and bits, are all really coming together, but really the best part of the trick is the reaction of that spectator when they pull the egg out of the bag. I had the woman that helped come up to me after a show last weekend and swear she felt the egg magically appear in the bag. Mr. Hobson's handling, and more important his pro tips on the website about spectator management, staging, etc. was worth a heck of a lot more than the price I paid. The trick also kills in kid shows, and using the spectator management tips you can hand this bag to a seven year old and they will follow and not blow the trick. Best investment in my show that I have made in a long time. The best part is it fits in your pocket and can play for 2 people or 500 people no problem. Thank you Mr. Hobson!

Best,

Dan-
Thank you Jeff Hobson for releasing your pet miracle. Thanks to Danny Hustle for being so generous as to share his views on a "worker" item. Danny gets nothing for helping everyone, but..that's what makes him Danny: he loves to help.

You guys rock!!!
Yes,I also say Thank-you Jeff Hobson,and als Danny Hustle for his review++.

Thanks also to you Christopher for the Penguin link.I just ordered and not only got the great price...but two nice bonuses to boot.

I just hope I will be able to smoothly transcend to this bag after using a Sterling egg bag for 25 years.

Rich
Rich, my pleasure. And please let us know how it plays for you.
So this bag has a colored interior..... gee, that's not like any bag I've ever seen.... even a paper bag is the same inside and out. I'm not disputing the reactions people are getting but I receive good reactions from the standard black bag..... I like playing up the 'ordinary stuff 'I use. It's really the comedy lines and gags along the way...where the egg has gone is almost secondary. With the black bag I can somtimes get away with spectators thinking the egg is somewhere outside the bag itself.....sometimes two or three times. I think the 'overthinking' comes into play when it's thought spectators notice no stitching on the inside if it's thought the bag really wasn't turned inside out.If I buy an 'improved' version of something now, it not only has to be an improvement but a significant improvement to the entertainment value.
Just received the "Hobson Egg Bag". Let me say that the tips and advice on the
password protected website are worth the price of this item. ( Philosophy, staging and blocking, how to pick an assistant as well as other great tips that can be applied to all performances)

I wasn't really a fan of any egg bag routine. It didn't make sense to me. Because of the above posts I went ahead and made the investment. I'm glad I did and will probably buy a second.

Ireland, Jeff Hobson goes into detail on different style egg bags as well as the use of the all black bag. I think you would be switching to Hobson's bag if you saw his tutorial.
btw
His performance on stage of the Egg Bag on his website is fantastic!
Stop it!.... You're tempting me...and I'm easily tempted! Maybe I'll have another look at this bag. Don Stevenson (Ireland)
Please excuse me,because I know some of my comments have already been covered by others...however,I must speak MY mind.

We all have listened to certain a new song for the first time..and thought..hey,there is something about that song that seperates it from all the rest..it is just in a class of it's own.

That is the feeling I get with the Jeff Hobson Egg Bag{JHEB}.I am not referring to comparing it to other egg bags or egg bag routines...rather I am comparing the JHEB to other Magic products in general!

This is a product that screams..WELL THOUGHT OUT!Yes from beginning to end this is a package that obviously has been infused with:Thought;Cleverness;Respect;Love...etc. etc.I could go on.However,let me just say this:

Mr.Hobson has given a great gift to performers.The props are wonderful:From the red/black bag to the huge egg...which by the way IMO the size of the egg adds greatly to the illusion.To each their own,but anyone who would use a different egg is making a huge mistake.The material and construction of the bag is such that using a large egg is not only possible but Greatly adds to the impossibility..again IMHO.

I would be satisfied with just the props for the price I paid...but it keeps getting better.

We receive access to a private teach-in by Mr.Hobson. This wonderfully organized video compilation is about the JHEB...but it contains tons of valuable information that will be of value for the effective presentation of Magical Entertainment in general.Let me also state that Mr. Hobson is one heck of a teacher:Clear,concise,and enjoyable.{ I do wish it was in the larger Windows Media Player format...rather than the small Quicktime format}

Mr.Hobson's instruction makes the basic handleing quite easy..however,I caution those that like to rush thing's...DON'T.Invest in some thought and time and create a presentation that is personal to YOU.That is what I am going to do.Once the basics are perfected...the sky is the limit with this Classic.[I won't be ready for several weeks to perform this before real folks]

I know in my enthusiasm some may think I have a connection to the product..I DO NOT..I just know Gold when I see it.

Mr.Hobson,I know you say it partially in jest..that: "this is just a silly trick".

This has the potential to be reputation maker....and who would know better than you.

Also,thank-you Mr. Hustle...without your review,I Would still be using just my beloved Sterling Egg Bag

Best.
Rich
To add another comment praising this egg bag would only be an exercise in redundancy.
This is the baby. Thanks Jeff - I waited years for this.
Hi Danny, long time ago we've met... I share your opinion, and now let's start to talk about different things... you know why. Jan
Wow I can't believe people are actually happy with the Hobson Egg Bag. I think it is way way overpriced and I don't really like the bag at all. There is a reason nobody used two colors. It lets people know that there are two pieces of fabric sewn together which means there could be a pocket in the bag. I also don't like the material. Lynetta Welch makes a much nicer bag out of silk and it is much cheaper. If you look at the top pros that are doing the trick not one of them to my knowledge are using Hobsons bag. The only people buying this product are the ones who have never used a Malini Egg Bag and don't know any better. Heck the bags that Danny Tong makes for $30 are better than the Hobson bag and work just as well. And as for the egg that comes with it you are better off blowing a real egg and using it. It is much more realistic looking and if you get the medium size eggs they are a lot smaller and easier to work with. I like Jeff Hobson as much as the next guy but, this product way over priced and not as good as the alternatives. Just my opinion and I have been doing the Malini Egg Bag for 20 years.
I am curious how many people raving about the Hobson egg bag ever used the Malini egg bag professionally. I did however just order the Hobson bag. I'd like to see how the different routines play to a similar audience.
I use a clear palstic bag. They can see the egg inside, but I pretend I can't. It doesn't play as well, but I have saved money on expensive egg bags. I also haven't worked in 10 years. Maybe I should buy The Hobson Egg Bag and start doing some shows.
I see more of my posts have been deleted.
Way to go Café!!

But, Bar10dr.
I think it's already been discussed about the two toned.
Not being able to see stitches on the inside of any bag says it is made from layers of fabric.
Why would anybody not think it is?
You go buy any bag, used for anything, and there is an outside layer and a inner layer.

And I think your wrong about the fabric.
The Hobson egg bag has a thicker material on the outside.
This makes the only bulge ,from the egg, on the inside.
The large egg is completely undetectable from any side.

The eggs it comes with are great.
They are super strong and extremely light weight.
They also slide very well.
Hobsons handleing is what proves the bag to be empty.
Not the beating of a bag with a blown egg in it.

I showed the bag to a friend who has many egg bags, been performing for many many years, even made his own bag for awhile, and he liked the Hobson bag.

So it's all about taste, not about how many years you have used a Malini bag.

ok.. well here is another post for you to delete, Café!

Randi
Randi, I don’t know which of your posts were deleted or why. I found a number of your posts on this thread just now as I read through the thread.

Bar10dr the Hobson bag is a version of the so-called Miller-Malini bag. However, Jeff (a working professional!) has addressed some weaknesses of the bag and made the necessary changes. Miller made changes to the Malini bag which is what is made and used today. Lynetta Welch made a small change to the Miller-Malini bag too. I think it was at a recommendation of Johnny Thompson (her version of the bag is superior!).

Jeff also addresses the “why” he has configured the bag (made the changes) he did. It comes from hundreds of performances before paying audiences.

I am not a top professional. However, I have been using an egg bag routine since the late 50’s. My first bag was a red wool thing, I think sold by Abbott’s. I later (1960’s) used a homemade bag based on the Tarbell design and performed the Roy Benson routine found in the “Classic Secrets of Magic”. In the early 1970’s Ken Brooke sold me his version of the Miller/Malini bag. He taught me the routine when I bought the bag. I used it for decades. I bought several Miller/Malini bags over that span of time from Dan Tong made by his wife Pauline – I still consider hers the best working Malini bag for the price made! In the 80’s I bought the Mardo bag (made my Martin Lewis’ mother) to use for second routine (actually third routine since I still performed the Benson routine).

So I have and have used the Tarbell (also known as the Sterling), the Mardo/Lewis, the Miller/Malini (Brooke, Tong, and Welch versions), and still have my very first red wool thing!

Of them all the Hobson is better designed for a working pro. Its design allows for a larger egg and allows room for a spectator to easily turn the bag inside out while you are holding the bag with both hands. You can (and I have) perform the traditional Ken Brooke routine using the bag.

The Hobson bag is well designed to fool the eye (even up-close). The bag’s proportions are designed for ease of use and to use a larger than “normal” egg. It is well made and constructed for years of performing use. In all it is a professional prop for professional performers. Expensive? Yes if you don’t use it! Over priced? Not if you actually use it!

You don’t like the bag or the egg. I like both. But then that’s what it’s all about! Courses for horses, yes? If we all liked and used the same things then there would be no variety in magic at all! Frankly, if no one else bought the thing I’d be happy (sorry Jeff!).
[quote]
On 2008-03-05 00:50, Bar10dr wrote:
Wow I can't believe people are actually happy with the Hobson Egg Bag. I think it is way way overpriced and I don't really like the bag at all. There is a reason nobody used two colors. It lets people know that there are two pieces of fabric sewn together which means there could be a pocket in the bag. I also don't like the material. Lynetta Welch makes a much nicer bag out of silk and it is much cheaper. If you look at the top pros that are doing the trick not one of them to my knowledge are using Hobsons bag. The only people buying this product are the ones who have never used a Malini Egg Bag and don't know any better. Heck the bags that Danny Tong makes for $30 are better than the Hobson bag and work just as well. And as for the egg that comes with it you are better off blowing a real egg and using it. It is much more realistic looking and if you get the medium size eggs they are a lot smaller and easier to work with. I like Jeff Hobson as much as the next guy but, this product way over priced and not as good as the alternatives. Just my opinion and I have been doing the Malini Egg Bag for 20 years.
[/quote]

Yes respectfully,this[above] is a classical example of 'Thinking like a magician.Not that there is anything wrong with that. :)

Regular folks do not think about p*****s d****** L****** etc. like a person knowledgeable in the art would.

I agree with Mr.Murphy's above comments.Let me just add...IMO the material the bag is made of has been VERY carefully thought out[including the red/black aspect]..so as with proper handleing an illusion of an empty bag is achieved more so than with other bags{I personally have experience with Malini/Mardo/Sterling bags}....and....especially with the HUGE egg supplied.It just seems impossible!

As far as being 'overpriced'...not only is the product[bag and eggs] of great value...however,the whole package[DVD]+[Bonus teach in section]is invaluable.

My personal favorite aspect of the Hobson Egg Bag,is that I can hold it so that the spectator can fairly peer into an 'empty bag' held 'vertically' by one hand.

I have tested my routine before a few friends,and will be introducing it at my restaurant venues next week.

It is all about amazing but subtle 'convincers'.[Taught by Mr.Hobson]

I do agree many hobbyist's will not like this product.IMO that is fine.This is one of those products that is mainly for Workers.

Rich
I'd like to share a short clip from my egg bag act. In my routine, because I'm a ventriloquist, I made the egg talk--his name is Egay, an egg puppet!--and we converse during the routine.

Shown here is just the middle portion of my 10-minute egg bag vent routine. (Pardon the language)

[url=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9112073958072875697&q=ony+carcamo&total=15&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1]videoplay[/url]

Thanks for viewing.

And, oh, thanks, Jeff Hobson!

Ony Carcamo, PHILIPPINES
Nice Ony! Thanks for sharing! You are clearly on your way to doing what Mr. Hobson recommends, that is, making your own unique routine! Even though I can't speak your language I clearly understood what was going on! Good show man!
Best egg bag ever.thanks jeff
Looks like a fun, magical, and entertaining routine Ony, good job!
Ony, NICE WORK!!!
If you noticed in my short video I did a little modification on one Hobson move. In the portion where I asked the assistant to place her hand up--I asked her to place her hand PALM UPWARDS (Jeff instructed PALM DOWNWARDS) before I placed the bag over her hand.

The reason is I want the "nail part" of the fingers to be on the side of the po***t inside the bag, so that she'll have no chance to touch/feel the po***t. Not a big issue, I know, but I just tried it and it's working great for me.

Thanks for your comments!

Your friend from Manila,
ONY
That was a great video Ony!
Thanks, Mac_Stone!
After receiving the egg bag, DVD and eggs I had a few immediate feelings about the package. The DVD which I watched first is a nice addition that is never supplied with other egg bags. It shows the basic moves and handling fairly well. There are enough performance DVD's out the such as from the greater magic collection.

As for the egg bag I thought the handling was a little knacky due to the heavy material but I'm sure it just takes time to adjust after using the Lynetta Welch silk bag. I have to say I find this less deceiving in appearance due to size and color mix but it does lend to greater visibility on stage for a performer that wears black. I have an issue with the bag in bag appearance due to the red/black but this has been discussed and may just be magician over thinking on my part. For a performer with rather big hands the Hobson bag might in fact be a plus in smoothness of performance.

As for the eggs that come with this package, I had to laugh. I found them not overly realistic looking in appearance or feel. There is a somewhat obvious seam and ridge around the long perimeter of the egg from the molding. The part that made me laugh though was the "Made in China" raised lettering around the wide base of the egg. I was hoping that the seam would pop in half and I could get the candy out before I tossed the eggs in the drawer(but maybe I'll eat my words and go back to the drawer). If I wasn't "told" otherwise I would think that these were some mass manufactured toy eggs that the author of this effect threw in the package for practice while I was waiting for my blown eggs to dry. Due to the material this bag is constructed of, I did find a medium clean blown egg to be a bit light to perform with this bag. My EGGSACTLY egg worked pretty nicely though. Or one can adjust the weight of a blown egg and reinforce it by injecting a resin into it and coating the inside of the egg to whatever weight is desired.

At the $100 price I paid for this effect I thought it was a decent deal. If someone that has never done egg bag and wants an out of the package ready to practice and perform set up, this is a really good deal.

As for how this plays against other egg bags and routines I feel it is too subjective to make a call on that. Importantly, it is a quality made egg bag with nice materials and workmanship. It comes down to, as with most props, the magicians ability to master the moves and create the routine that suits them and really entertains. For example...Jeff plays a very flameboyant character and the egg bag twirl really suits his character. It would not suit mine at all.

I don't think I'll be tossing my Malini style bag in the drawer nor will I be tossing my blown eggs. I will try and develop a routine that is unique to the Hobson egg bag and see where it takes me. I purchased it for variety's sake and not as a replacement.
I'm glad many of your are understanding and using the bag. Thank you for the nice comments!!!!

For Mr. Bowlin, you are right. This bag is different and will take a bit to get used to if you're used to the
super thin and soft bags of the past. There are reasons, as you've seen on the DVD (and website), for
every change I've made in the bag. As far as the eggs, yes, I had them made in China. They sent me six prototypes over 18 months before they got it right. I ordered 5000 of them. And yes, each one has "Made in China" stamped on the bottom. I will guarantee you that you won't find a more solid, lighter plastic egg out there. As I mention in the instruction, I've stopped using blown eggs because, if you perform the trick enough, they will break for one reason or another during a performance. Part of professionalism, is that you never take a chance (or if you do, you have a back-up!). With the HOBSON Egg, I never have to worry. Since I encourage that you tell the audience that the egg is fake, the feint mold line is a mute point. In fact, in my many thousands of performances, no one has ever mentioned any lines on the eggs.

I'm sure the HOBSON Egg Bag isn't for everybody. But, I believe that my version is for a serious worker who will use it over and over again. If you're just a hobbiest, you'll probably think it's no big deal.

Jeff
[quote]
On 2008-02-15 20:17, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Rich, my pleasure. And please let us know how it plays for you.
[/quote]

Well...it took me around five weeks to have the confidence and correct feeling to present my personal routine for the Hobson Egg Bag...under fire for real people[Restaurant Guests].What better day than Easter Sunday[Eggs are big on Easter :)]

Please understand I have been performing an egg bag routine[Sterling Egg Bag,mostly in stand-up shows] for a couple of decades +...so...for me it was a matter of creating a routine that utilized the unique physical aspects of the Hobson Egg Bag.

Let me say I am extremely happy at this moment.The reactions were better than I ever imagined...and this is taking into consideration that I am still tweaking my routine.

I love the fact that I can wear the Hobson Egg Bag as a Pocket Handkerchief[so cool].

The idea that I can now discreetly carry an egg bag and egg on my person..is huge for me.

I did 'stroll off the reservation' a few times tonite...to try different ideas that I may or may not add to my routine....but that is par for the course for me....it's sort of like physical ad-libbing.

My routine is very different from Mr.Hobsons routine for I have combined a couple of my own ideas along with the ideas of others,including Mr.Hobson.

I do have a way for really making it appear that an invisible egg tossed in the air is actually landing in the bag [it is a simple and old idea, but very effective],PM me with the password on the special 'extra bag' coupon,and I will be happy to share.

Best.
Rich
If you have a nail file that has several boards on it...
The ones that go from rough to fine to polish...

You can remove the 'made in china' on your eggs.

Just sand it off with the rough and move up with grit until you get to the polish.
You will never know it was there.

Randi
[quote]
On 2008-03-23 22:44, randirain wrote:
If you have a nail file that has several boards on it...
The ones that go from rough to fine to polish...

You can remove the 'made in china' on your eggs.

Just sand it off with the rough and move up with grit until you get to the polish.
You will never know it was there.

Randi
[/quote]

Yes,I can see how that can work.However,in my routine the only egg they touch is an 'invisible egg'.

I personally like the idea of letting them believe it is a real egg..with weight and substance...but that's just me.[nobody touches my egg..nobody! :) ]

Rich
Good tip Randi, thanks. I too like them thinking it is real. When you slap that egg bag around a little they "know" a real egg couldn't take that abuse. Jeff Hobson is funny enough that he could use a walnut and still be quite entertaining. Some of us need a little extra edge.

Jeff if you don't care if they think it's real then why don't you just use a nut, or a ball? Think of the adult humor you could pull out of that. Maybe we'll see Jeff Hobson's Nut/Ball Sack on the market soon.
The egg bag is a classic in magic for a reason. I like the two tone bag Jeff has come up with. The one tone had a "black art" feel to it that you couldn't tell if the bag was really turned inside out. Having two tones is a nice touch ( wish I thought of it ).

No one in an audience ever has, or ever will, think that the two tones shows there are two layers. "Magician thinking" is annoying, but fine with me as it keeps that many more people from using a professional prop.

I wish I could get magcians from using **ells, IT, TT's, pulls, etc.

:rotf:
"Black art feel to it"...is that in "laymens terms"? :)
Hey. . . . . "nut/ball sack"?. . . . Hmmmmmm. Sorry, but I couldn't do it.
If you watch my act, my character is gay but I never say that I am and never use direct words, i.e. "fag", that would make it crude. Everything I do is an innuendo. Same with the Egg Bag. Using a nut or a ball would be too close to the real meaning of the joke. . . . it just wouldn't be that funny. . . unless you're in a biker bar which, by the way, I never frequent. Humor comes from letting the audience figure out the jokes in their heads. If you're too obvious, it won't work except to the simple minds. No offense Christopher!

Thus, a mini comedy lecture. Thank you Ladies and Gentlemen. Goodnight. Try the meatloaf.
The reason Jeff's character/act is funny is because he doesn't use crude references.

Get his A-1 tape or join the Lecture Network to learn more form him.
I was being quite facetious. Of course I wouldn't expect anyone including myself to use that type of material. I have been studying and practicing comedy long enough to know what flies and what draws them, to a degree. It was to emphasize what I considered to be another impractibility and what I thought to be a very odd statement by Jeff.
"Since I encourage that you tell the audience that the egg is fake"

Jeff, if you encourage telling them the egg is fake why did it take 6 prototypes over 18 months to get the perfect fake egg? I just feel a guy of your status and following need be careful of what he says. I understand defending your creation but please do so logically. I see nothing wrong with anyone using your egg. I say take Randi's tip and sell it for all it's worth! I'm sure there will be a time I will use it, as a real egg.

If one doesn't care about convincing the audience it's a real egg then what is the purpose of using an egg? Should I tell that audience I use a fake egg because of its desirable shape and visibility for the illusion? Because eggs are funny? If I perform it for a bunch of golfers wouldn't a golf ball be much more interesting to them? Wouldn't a flourescent orange egg be much more visible? What is the justification for the egg period? I always thought it was the fragility of an egg that made this effect a big part of what it is.

Why would I want to convince my audience that the egg is fake? If I convince them that that egg is fake then why might they not think it might flatten as well? If only 1/3 of my audience believes it's a real egg then that's one third that should be REALLY amazed by the effect. You claim it is to ensure that you will never have to deal with the disaster of a broken egg. There are better ways in my opinion to secure this.

There is an egg on the market that is a real egg that is reinforced with resin that is VERY unlikey to ever break. It might crack but it won't break. I just feel that this effect has stood the test of time and although Jeff and his new bag adds some really interesting tidbits and twists to the effect, taking away the "real egg" factor is moving to what I feel is a much lesser effect. I would just hate to see a bunch of people out there going in this direction. I'm not sure if Jeff really feels that the reality of the egg is a moot point, or speaking out in defense of his egg. As I have said before...I have nothing against using Jeff's egg. File off those little letters on the bottom as Randi said and it is a pretty convincing egg.

Please, before I get attacked by any Jeff Hobson defenders or Jeff himself...I am not trying to incite any rediculous debating here nor am I trying to spout off. I have the utmost respect for Jeff and his abilities as an awesome entertainer, I'm a huge fan. But...I have as much respect for what I think of this wonderful effect and all those wonderful magicians that have brought this effect to where it is today.

The egg bag is one of the most perfect effects in magic. It can be done for 2 people or 2000. It can be done in the round in just about any lighting. It is inexpensive. It is a performance piece that can make a show. I don't want this effect cheapened!

Someone with some clout and fame made a statement that seems to take this effect in a different direction and it concerns me. I'll bet it would concern a few other magicians out there as well. I now wish I had never busted on the egg, I am sorry!
I closely observed a real egg and compared it side by side with the Hobson Egg.A real egg is a flat white...almost no reflection of light,and with no visible sheen.

The Hobson egg has a sheen...so what I did was,I gently stroked the egg with a 3M fine sanding pad until all the unnatural sheen was gone.I also buffed out the seam,and completly removed the 'made in China' raised lettering at the bottom.Now the egg looks just like a real egg,except that it is slightly larger than the real eggs I had on hand [I really like that the Hobson egg is extra large..it just seems so much more impossible to conceal].
There is absolutely no loss in handling by removing the sheen.For me the egg slides as easily as before.

Now if you decide to do this,and you hold the sanded egg next to the extra egg supplied with the Hobson Egg Bag...a big smile will appear on your face...the difference will be startling.

Best.
Rich

P.S.Of course the above is only necessary for those who wish to present the egg as if it is 'a real egg'[as I do].IMO there is no right or wrong way as long as folks are entertained.
Ok... not trying to start anything... but I do think I can clear some stuff up...

Jeff was being picky about the eggs.
Like...
Too heavy.. take it back...
Too flimbsy.. needs to be stronger...
etc.. etc..
Until he got a really really lite but strong egg.

That's what I like about the eggs.
They are very strong and very lite.

I personally tell them it's fake too.
I hand them the egg and say look, it's a fake egg.

You know where you get fake eggs from?
They usually answer, "fake chickens."
It's fun... they get to be funny.

I then tell them to give it a little squeeze... they can't.
"It's strong isn't it? It looks like a ping pong ball but much stronger."

If you let them think that it's a real egg without them ever examining it...
Than why would they not think it's a fake egg that colapses?
Why not just use a weller egg?

Jeff's handleing is what makes the trick work.
Instead of beating the bag to death, you show them it's empty.
But he already goes through all this on the DVD and website, so I won't.

Randi
Like I said...Whatever works for each individual performer is what counts.

As stated in my previous posts...I love the Hobson Egg Bag.The Hobson Egg is also great.

However,I am also in agreement with Mr.Bowlin that there are several features of the egg that are troubling *FOR 'ME' AND MY PRESENTATION*:Sheen;Seam;Made in China... are problematic.

I elected to correct these features so as to enhance my presentation.I took a chance,because I have not seen these eggs available for sale as a seperate entity.[and I only had one extra]

Using a fine sandpaper to remove the..sheen..seam..and raised letters of origin has transformed the egg from a very toy-like appearance to what AMAZINGLY appears to be a real egg.
After sanding,it not only looks like a real but feels to the touch like a real egg!...just lighter in weight.However...slightly heavier than an actual 'blown egg'.

I may even consider allowing a guest to remove the egg in my final phase.Woooo

This results in what looks like a blown egg...but an 'unbreakable blown egg'.Cool!

Now,I believe this is beneficial to both schools:Those that wish to present it as a real egg...and those that outright say it is a 'fake egg'.

**Fake egg proponents:After you see how unbelievably realistic the 'egg' is after sanding...you may wish to adjust your dialog to..."it's a hollow egg"...."Where do hollow eggs come from?" "Hollow chickens!" :)

Best.
Rich
I think Penn and Teller are going to expose the egg bag ( using Jeff's because they love his act ) so all this fuss is moot.
Oh no! We are doomed.

Just like we were doomed with their exposure of the National Magic trick [TT].LOL

How many still perform TT routines to great effect? I do.

Precision 'entertainment' outweighs any exposure...everytime....alway's has,and alway's will.
I personally don't mention ANYTHING about the egg--being fake or not--in my routine. In my act, the egg becomes a "personality"--a talking egg--(I'm basically as vent), so the heat on whether it's a fake or real disappears. We "converse" for a few minutes before the main egg bag routine starts.

(I posted a video link of part of my routine above.)

Having said that, PaleoMagi's suggestion re sanding the egg to make it look more real is interesting...
[quote]
On 2008-03-25 15:06, John Bowlin wrote:
I was being quite facetious. Of course I wouldn't expect anyone including myself to use that type of material. I have been studying and practicing comedy long enough to know what flies and what draws them, to a degree. It was to emphasize what I considered to be another impractibility and what I thought to be a very odd statement by Jeff.
"Since I encourage that you tell the audience that the egg is fake"

I do so encourage performers to do so simply because of the fact that it is, indeed fake. This doesn't automatically make the audience assume that it's collapsable or otherwise not solid. Experience leads me to encourage this. I have - more than once - accidentally dropped the egg. It obviously bounces around. A real egg wouldn't do that. If I had tried to convince the audience that I have a real egg, then I am caught in a lie. As a professional, I don't like to take chances. I just tell them it's fake up front. Yes, I can do more jokes by it also.

Jeff, if you encourage telling them the egg is fake why did it take 6 prototypes over 18 months to get the perfect fake egg? I just feel a guy of your status and following need be careful of what he says. I understand defending your creation but please do so logically.

My many prototypes has brought a very light and strong egg that most spectators can't dent.

If one doesn't care about convincing the audience it's a real egg then what is the purpose of using an egg? Should I tell that audience I use a fake egg because of its desirable shape and visibility for the illusion? Because eggs are funny? If I perform it for a bunch of golfers wouldn't a golf ball be much more interesting to them?

I do use a golf ball for golf outings. And yes, eggs are funny. At least funnier than using a simple ball. And more familiar.

There is an egg on the market that is a real egg that is reinforced with resin that is VERY unlikey to ever break.

I've used it and it has broken.

Please, before I get attacked by any Jeff Hobson defenders or Jeff himself...I am not trying to incite any rediculous debating here nor am I trying to spout off. I have the utmost respect for Jeff and his abilities as an awesome entertainer, I'm a huge fan. But...I have as much respect for what I think of this wonderful effect and all those wonderful magicians that have brought this effect to where it is today.

I understand and thank you.

[/quote]
Sparrow isn't funny. Duck is. Ball isn't funny, egg is.
I LOVE THIS BAG! My only wish is that Mr. Hobson had given some tips as to how to keep track of where the secret something is. It's often been my experience with this and other bags that, in the heat of battle, I'll sometimes lose track of just where the bloody thing is. I realize in a perfect world, with your head on straight, you've followed the choreography and this is not a problem - but my world is far from perfect. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi.I believe that may be a little too much info on an open forum.However,I will PM you my solution for this.

Rich
Hi Nornando,
ever since I began working with the egg bag 50 years ago I have stitch marked the side where the something secret is. White/yellow thread for a black bag and black thread for a red bag. Take whichever colour you feel comfortable with(green, blue, yellow). You see the marking at once, no fumbling or guessing anymore. Do some stitches upon each other through the fabric 3-4 cm from the bags side hem. Make the stitches 2-3mm long near the edge of the bags opening. A black permanent marking pen is an other alternative but I myself do not like it.
Okay...I'm back.

A lot of this stuff is just hysterically funny to me. Particularly the stuff about the egg.

If you will bear with me I would like to qualify before I start to spout off about some of these statements.

I'm a full time professional entertainer. I do nothing else, I also do not travel much outside of my state because of family obligations (I want to see my 9 year old son grow up). That being said, I am a general practitioner. I work Kid shows, corporate events, fund raisers, trade shows, store openings, comedy clubs,Schools, hospitals, professional sporting events ( I just got back from a Celtics gig), corporate luncheons, fat farms, funeral homes, and street corners. Anyplace that is looking for a funny guy who can amaze anybody eight to eighty, wicked, mild, or crazy, if you got the dough, I'm your guy. Unlike Mr. Hobson, I've worked a biker bar IN A BOW TIE. Don't let the bow tie fool you folks, I'm a rebel.

I'm not a big deal, I'm not a star, I'm not the greatest entertainer in the world, I am a ham and egger. I'm the guy that is out there supporting a family, paying a mortgage, and buying a snowblower by doing shows...for anybody. I have no aspirations of sitting next to Jay on the couch, I'm not waiting for my big break, I'm too busy working.

All of that being said, I am actually shocked that I even started this thread because when I find something THIS GOOD I really don't want anybody else in my potential circle of influence doing it. I have well over 100, professional, paid, performances, of this routine under my belt now. The plastic, made in china, egg, was the catalyst for my original routine. I point out that the egg says made in China on it as part of my routine! IT GETS A HUGE LAUGH! Look guys, I'm a comedy worker, you give me an egg that says, "Made In China" on it, in my line of work that's a feature. I'd be willing to pay more to have the words made BIGGER on the bottom of the egg.

The egg is HARD. That is what you are conveying to the audience WITH THIS HANDLING. It DOES NOT MATTER AND THEY DO NOT CARE ONE IOTA if it is a "real" egg. If a real egg works better for you, USE A REAL EGG.

As a full time pro, I can't use a real egg, and I can't use a resin lined egg, because those shatter too. I dropped the egg bag from my show because of those eggs.

I can play hockey with a Hobson egg, and the audience believes it is a HARD egg because it IS a hard egg. I smack the egg on something hard and they hear the SMACK sound, The helper tries to squeeze the guts out of the egg and tells them it is hard. Trust me, they are SOLD on the stiffness of the egg.

When that egg vanishes, if you have performed the handling correctly the audience will gasp, and laugh, every single time. I had a very distinguished corporate executrix of about sixty years old ask me the other night, "Where the F*** did it go!" This lady looked like she wouldn't say "poopy" if she had a mouthful of it. It's that strong to a lay audience if you handle the bag the way Mr. Hobson suggests.

There are some great egg bags on the market, I own at least 10 of them including a Lynetta Welsh bag. That bag is gorgeous! At no time in history has there been more QUALITY egg bags readily available than there is right now. THEY ARE ALL GOOD BAGS!

FOR ME none of them compare to the Hobson egg bag. FOR WHAT I REQUIRE as a full time professional entertainer this bag is as if I paid to have it designed myself. Now that I have it, if I had to replace it, it has become such a feature in my act I would GLADLY pay Mr. Hobson $1000 for just the bag and the eggs. I actually bought two and am thinking about getting a third just for the close up gig bag.

This is the only prop and routine I have that can literally play in any venue without having to change anything.

It may not be the right bag FOR YOU and that is cool. I'm just here to tell you that for me, this thing is perfection. Not only that but it has earned me MORE work. People are remembering it, connecting it with me, and hiring me because of it.

A lot of that is due to the fact that Mr. Hobson helps you create your OWN routine for it with his handling. I think at one point on the video he literally says, "You know, this part of the routine screams for a joke." I'm a comedy worker, I had NO DESIRE to do Mr. Hobson's routine. He helped me write my own with the instructional videos on the website.

At some point I may post a video of me doing this thing. I'm on the fence about it because to be honest, this is in my bread and butter act, the "A" show. There are a lot of less than ethical people that might then think it was fine to borrow my shtick. I just wish you could see what I am getting out of this thing and how 180 degrees away it is from Mr. Hobson's routine even though it is practically identical in physical handling.

If you don't work funny, and you think the "mystery" of the illusion is lost because of the egg, don't buy it. Particularly if you live within 50 miles of Boston. Actually, if you live within 100 miles of Boston, this bag is awful, don't buy it. Get that one that turns into a chicken! Now THAT is a sexy egg bag! And the comedy just writes itself.

Mr. Hobson, thanks man, You have helped put food on my families table, made my act a bit better, and given me a prop that will be with me for my entire career. I don't know if there is a better compliment than that, one worker to another.

All the best,

Dan-
Danny writes great posts.
Tell them the story you told me about going to high school with Rob Zombie.
That's a great one!!!

But seriously...
I agree totally with Danny on this.
He is the one who got me to buy this bag, and I love it as well.
I have done it for both adult and kid shows.
And at the end of everyone of them someone has asked me how I did that egg trick.

One was the lady that hired me.
She told I wasn't going to get paid unless I told her.
She was joking of course and I didn't tell her.

And as I have said, I don't pretend it's a real egg.
It's a fake egg in my show.

Thanks for the thread and post Danny.
And thanks Jeff for a great trick.

Randi
[quote]
On 2008-03-30 22:14, Danny Hustle wrote:
Okay...I'm back.

A lot of this stuff is just hysterically funny to me. Particularly the stuff about the egg.

If you will bear with me I would like to qualify before I start to spout off about some of these statements.

I'm a full time professional entertainer. I do nothing else, I also do not travel much outside of my state because of family obligations (I want to see my 9 year old son grow up). That being said, I am a general practitioner. I work Kid shows, corporate events, fund raisers, trade shows, store openings, comedy clubs,Schools, hospitals, professional sporting events ( I just got back from a Celtics gig), corporate luncheons, fat farms, funeral homes, and street corners. Anyplace that is looking for a funny guy who can amaze anybody eight to eighty, wicked, mild, or crazy, if you got the dough, I'm your guy. Unlike Mr. Hobson, I've worked a biker bar IN A BOW TIE. Don't let the bow tie fool you folks, I'm a rebel.

I'm not a big deal, I'm not a star, I'm not the greatest entertainer in the world, I am a ham and egger. I'm the guy that is out there supporting a family, paying a mortgage, and buying a snowblower by doing shows...for anybody. I have no aspirations of sitting next to Jay on the couch, I'm not waiting for my big break, I'm too busy working.

All of that being said, I am actually shocked that I even started this thread because when I find something THIS GOOD I really don't want anybody else in my potential circle of influence doing it. I have well over 100, professional, paid, performances, of this routine under my belt now. The plastic, made in china, egg, was the catalyst for my original routine. I point out that the egg says made in China on it as part of my routine! IT GETS A HUGE LAUGH! Look guys, I'm a comedy worker, you give me an egg that says, "Made In China" on it, in my line of work that's a feature. I'd be willing to pay more to have the words made BIGGER on the bottom of the egg.

The egg is HARD. That is what you are conveying to the audience WITH THIS HANDLING. It DOES NOT MATTER AND THEY DO NOT CARE ONE IOTA if it is a "real" egg. If a real egg works better for you, USE A REAL EGG.

As a full time pro, I can't use a real egg, and I can't use a resin lined egg, because those shatter too. I dropped the egg bag from my show because of those eggs.

I can play hockey with a Hobson egg, and the audience believes it is a HARD egg because it IS a hard egg. I smack the egg on something hard and they hear the SMACK sound, The helper tries to squeeze the guts out of the egg and tells them it is hard. Trust me, they are SOLD on the stiffness of the egg.

When that egg vanishes, if you have performed the handling correctly the audience will gasp, and laugh, every single time. I had a very distinguished corporate executrix of about sixty years old ask me the other night, "Where the F*** did it go!" This lady looked like she wouldn't say "poopy" if she had a mouthful of it. It's that strong to a lay audience if you handle the bag the way Mr. Hobson suggests.

There are some great egg bags on the market, I own at least 10 of them including a Lynetta Welsh bag. That bag is gorgeous! At no time in history has there been more QUALITY egg bags readily available than there is right now. THEY ARE ALL GOOD BAGS!

FOR ME none of them compare to the Hobson egg bag. FOR WHAT I REQUIRE as a full time professional entertainer this bag is as if I paid to have it designed myself. Now that I have it, if I had to replace it, it has become such a feature in my act I would GLADLY pay Mr. Hobson $1000 for just the bag and the eggs. I actually bought two and am thinking about getting a third just for the close up gig bag.

This is the only prop and routine I have that can literally play in any venue without having to change anything.

It may not be the right bag FOR YOU and that is cool. I'm just here to tell you that for me, this thing is perfection. Not only that but it has earned me MORE work. People are remembering it, connecting it with me, and hiring me because of it.

A lot of that is due to the fact that Mr. Hobson helps you create your OWN routine for it with his handling. I think at one point on the video he literally says, "You know, this part of the routine screams for a joke." I'm a comedy worker, I had NO DESIRE to do Mr. Hobson's routine. He helped me write my own with the instructional videos on the website.

At some point I may post a video of me doing this thing. I'm on the fence about it because to be honest, this is in my bread and butter act, the "A" show. There are a lot of less than ethical people that might then think it was fine to borrow my shtick. I just wish you could see what I am getting out of this thing and how 180 degrees away it is from Mr. Hobson's routine even though it is practically identical in physical handling.

If you don't work funny, and you think the "mystery" of the illusion is lost because of the egg, don't buy it. Particularly if you live within 50 miles of Boston. Actually, if you live within 100 miles of Boston, this bag is awful, don't buy it. Get that one that turns into a chicken! Now THAT is a sexy egg bag! And the comedy just writes itself.

Mr. Hobson, thanks man, You have helped put food on my families table, made my act a bit better, and given me a prop that will be with me for my entire career. I don't know if there is a better compliment than that, one worker to another.

All the best,

Dan-
[/quote]

Hello Danny:Your initial comments are the main reason I purchased the Hobson Egg Bag.Thank-you!

That said,I agree with 99% of your latest post.
As with any other 'classic' routine we all have a great opportunity to make the routine unique,and true to our individual performance character.

For you the 'Made in China' label plays right into your comedic style.For me it does not.
That is not to say I don't like the egg itself...I love it! It's just that for my 'character'...making the egg appear more realistic...fits me.

I play the egg as real...if they call me on it...I have my own 'funny' comments.

I have created a routine that is magical and sprinkled with a mild dose of comedy.This is true to my character.

Tonite,I performed my routine about a dozen times..to wonderful reactions.

I personally, do not mind spouting off about the merits of the HEB,because for me....sharing my own experiences is 'selfishly' cathartic,and also the fact that... very few will be willing to pay the higher cost for this egg bag...and those that do.. probably...only a few may be willing to invest the time and effort to create a personal routine...different from all others...which is the only way to proceed with a 'classic'.

The value inherent with the HEB is a combination of: VERY well thought out props;GREAT basic instruction;the SUPERB opportuniy to create a unique routine,viable at any type of perfomance venue.

Oh,I almost forgot...Thanks again Mr. Hobson.

Rich
Nornando, I had a similar problem of losing track, and Jeff doesn't actually focus in all the way on that particular aspect of it. He lightly touches on it. However, I made one mistake: I did not follow his moves exactly as he was doing them. When I took time to study this aspect of the trick and even slo-mo'd the DVD to be sure I was right, I got it. Actually, everything is quite obvious, but I just didn't pay attention to it. As Sherlock Holmes said to Dr. Watson, after Watson asked how Holmes makes his "brilliant deductions," Holmes replied, "Watson, I see the same things that you see... but I notice them!" (Just wanted to show off my knowledge of Holmes there!) :)

Jeff, I owe you - big time.
[quote]
On 2008-03-05 09:47, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I use a clear palstic bag. They can see the egg inside, but I pretend I can't.[/quote]

Excellent. Can I use this or will you be marketing it?
[quote]
On 2008-04-01 00:58, manal wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-03-05 09:47, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I use a clear palstic bag. They can see the egg inside, but I pretend I can't.[/quote]

Excellent. Can I use this or will you be marketing it?
[/quote]

This will be a marketted effect with a DVD. Of course, there will be guys using the clear sandwhich bags thinking they can save a few bucks, but they will miss out because with my design, the audience clearly sees the egg in the bag throughout the routine.
This is a wonderful thread. I do have three different egg bags, mainly based on Malini. Its fascinating to observe the whole 'magicians' thinking' debate too, as we tend to be susceptible to it at some time or other, to some degree or other.

A question: one of the issues with the Malini Bag, which judging by comments elsewhere on this forum is not just my own, is that it does not always work 100% of the time to have someone hold the bag, release one hand and reach inside and find the egg. Sometimes the egg is 'not there', or rather, has not completely manifested into 'physical touchable reality'! Malini Bag people know what I mean. I tried decreasing egg size, but I don't want to go to the really small eggs because I think they look unnatural, at least in this country. So my question is whether this is an issue with the Hobson bag design and handling.

Since some contributors mentioned that the classic Malini handling is not applicable to the hobson bag, can this bag be handed to a spectator to have the egg appear while in his hands, which in my opinion is the killer in the Malini routine?

As for "magicians thinking" about thick linings etc...like many of you, when I show the bag empty I turn it inside out, beat it, slap it and wring it dry. I wonder whether when we beat the bag up that way we are subconsciously venting our "magicians' frustration" because lets face it - if we really had an egg and it vanished when dropped inside that ordinary simple cloth bag, would we not just throw the bag out into the audience or hand it to the spectator and let him jump inside it and around it to his heart's content? Hmmm, is that "spectator thinking",or "anal spectator thinking?"

Maybe baggers cant be choosers! (go on groan, its good for the throat).
The last part of Mr.Hobsons routine on the DVD allows the guest to make the egg appear in the bag while it is in her hands.This is quite bold,but works nicely for him because of his overall presentational style.

This would not work for me and my style... so,I created a routine that does not allow the guest to hold the bag,but does allow her to participate in the appearance of the egg in another way.[Hold the jokes]

Also,Mr.Hobson gives what I feel is sage advice:[I paraphrase]'There is no need over prove that the bag is empty by banging it about and wringing the heck out of it'.*Less is More.

Let me also say this:I never in a million years thought that my little tableside routine would get such nice reactions..but it does.[that is the ultimate 'thinking like a magician' LOL].

Rich
You know when all is said and done this bag is a version of the Malini/Miller egg bag. The proportions are different, but then each Malini/Miller bag should have been custom sized to fit the performer’s hand (if it was keeping “true” to Miller’s thinking on the egg bag). In the world of mass production standard sizes have become the norm.

I have this bag, I have Malini bags made by Danny Tongs wife (my “standard”) one sold me by Ken Brooke (I haven’t a clue who made them for Ken), one in purple from Frank Starnsic (a great bag by the way), a Lynetta Welsh (great bag), and two others that I accumulated over the years (makers unknown). They all vary slightly in size of bag, size and shape of hole (for you know what), and some even have a double stitching along the “necessary” side just to keep you oriented.

One can very easily use the Hobson’s bag for the “classic” Ken Brooke Malini Bag routine. I know, that is the routine that I’ve been doing off and on for over two decades and I have used the Hobson Bag to perform it. Why did I do that? Because when I got the bag I had a gig and had planned to use my (OK, Ken Brooke’s) egg bag routine as part of the act. I played with the Hobson bag as soon as it arrived and found that the Brooke routine could be done with it. And why not? It is a Malini egg bag after all. Hobson has thought out what would make the bag work better and built one to meet those criteria.

He has also thought about the key elements and the magical moments of the egg bag routine. He has refined and streamlined the routine until it is truly magical. That he closes his show with it speaks volumes on the strength of his routine and his thinking. I would not try to close my show on the Ken Brooke routine. I might be able to close with Jeff’s (but I doubt if I have the stones to even try!).

I am not going to repeat what Danny said above, I agree with it all and second it. I’ll just say that I have used Sterling/Tarbell bags, the Mardo/Lewis bags, and Malini/Miller/Brooke bags. I have at least three of each. I’ve even used the old red wool bag (I think Abbott’s) back in the 1950’s (my first egg bag and I still have the old moth eaten thing!). Hobson’s bag and his thinking on handling the egg bag is simply the best I’ve run across. I would say that his thinking better reflects what is going on today and, if nothing else helps us rethink what we are doing. I only wish I had thought it first!
[quote]
On 2008-04-01 06:51, kris attard wrote:
A question: one of the issues with the Malini Bag, which judging by comments elsewhere on this forum is not just my own, is that it does not always work 100% of the time to have someone hold the bag, release one hand and reach inside and find the egg. Sometimes the egg is 'not there', or rather, has not completely manifested into 'physical touchable reality'! Malini Bag people know what I mean. I tried decreasing egg size, but I don't want to go to the really small eggs because I think they look unnatural, at least in this country. So my question is whether this is an issue with the Hobson bag design and handling.
[/quote]

I want to asnwer your question directly.
If you use Jeffs handling on this part, it will work 100% of the time.
That being said, I can't get myself to do his way. It's just too Jeff.
The way I do it, is have them mimic grabbing an egg from the air, throwing it up, and reaching out and catching the egg with the bag.
Usually they do this very bad. So I get on to them about how bad their acting is and make them do it again.
By this time, the egg is where it needs to be.

Also, since the bag is so wide...
When it's dropped by one hand, it turns more than other bags.
Hard to explain, but think about a bag that's taller than wide and holding by a corner.
Then think about a bag wider than tall, and holding by a corner.
There will be more of a tilt in the bag that's wider.

Randi
Randi:My routine is similar.I have three phases with a special final production. The first two phases I throw and catch the invisible egg...in the third phase the guest does the toss,and removal.

As the egg 'lands' in the bag I use the old paper bag ruse of snapping the fingers holding the bag.This accomplises two things:It makes it appear as if the egg is landing in the bag;also it assures that the egg does what it is supposed to do.

Rich
For the record, after getting tipped off by a member here about a FANTASTIC sale going on with hocuspocus.com (thank you sir!) I just purchased a THIRD bag so I can have one just for the close up case. Not that anyone besides me cares, I just think it's kind of amusing. :)

Best,

Dan-
[quote]
On 2008-04-01 15:30, Danny Hustle wrote:
For the record, after getting tipped off by a member here about a FANTASTIC sale going on with hocuspocus.com (thank you sir!) I just purchased a THIRD bag so I can have one just for the close up case. Not that anyone besides me cares, I just think it's kind of amusing. :)

Best,

Dan-
[/quote]

Hi Danny-
Is this special still available ( or April Fools? )...I couldn't locate any Egg Bags for sale at Hocus Pocus.
Michael
They were under the clearance section this morning.

They are still there.

http://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/

Do a search for hobson. if you are a member with them they sent you an email that will get you an additional 40% off!

Great stuff!

Best,

Dan-
[quote]
On 2008-04-01 17:25, Danny Hustle wrote:
They were under the clearance section this morning.

They are still there.

http://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/

Do a search for hobson. if you are a member with them they sent you an email that will get you an additional 40% off!

Great stuff!

Best,

Dan-
[/quote]

Thanks Dan.
I'm not a member but intend to join...40% discount is great!
Appreciate your responce.
Michael
How does that work Dan? The web site says no discount. Having two of the beasts (and wanting yet another back-up since I am using it constantly) I'd hate to put it in my cart and having to pay full price. Maybe in a month or two I'd pay full price again but now I have to pay for the two I have!

Randirain, great tip! Thanks!
[quote]
On 2008-04-01 20:31, Harry Murphy wrote:
How does that work Dan? The web site says no discount. Having two of the beasts (and wanting yet another back-up since I am using it constantly) I'd hate to put it in my cart and having to pay full price. Maybe in a month or two I'd pay full price again but now I have to pay for the two I have!

Randirain, great tip! Thanks!
[/quote]
The Hobson Egg Bag is no longer in the Clearance Section. I assume they sold out of the ones they had in stock. They are availabe but at the regular price.
This thread is reminiscent of the Kozak salt pour gimmick thread. An enjoyable and entertaining thread.
I am trying to get on the Kavanaugh pre order list and recommend everyone do the same.

Hi Mr. Hobson, I still love doing and getting great reactions from the balloon dog bag. Wonderful DVD Thanks!
What DVD is the balloon dog bag on? I love that trick as well.
[quote]
On 2008-04-02 09:45, giobbi1 wrote:
What DVD is the balloon dog bag on? I love that trick as well.
[/quote]

A-1's "Jeff Hobson Live". You can see the egg bag rotuine as well.
Thanks Christopher.
You can also find the routine on Mr. Hobson's lecture "Hobson's choice" available on The Lecture Network http://www.thelecturenetwork.com

If you are not a member I HIGHLY recommend signing up. New lectures every month with some of the best names in the business, Johnny Thompson, Charlie Frye, Kevin James, Gaeton Bloom, Norm Neilson, Tony Clark, the list goes on and on and on. Along with the egg bag the lecture network has been one of the best investments I've made in a long time.

Best,

Dan-
I love the Hobson Bag! I've been using it for months and it works great!

The only trouble that I had was when I tried to use the coupon for a reduced priced Hobson Bag, months ago. I needed a second bag, so that I wouldn't have to transfer it from one prop case to another, during a busy performing schedule. I never got a reply to my inquiries, so I had to buy a second bag from another dealer.

I also use a Malini Bag made by Ray Goulet. I only use it for close-up, because it's all black. I prefer the Hobson Bag - it really stands out on stage, but is great for close-up use, too.
Ok!
I've finally ordered this!
I actually went and checked it out at the Lecture Network and I'm sold. Btw ... as a member of the Lecture Network there is a discount if you order directly.
[quote]

There are some fantastic egg bags out there on the market, I mean some great ones. In a world filled with wonderful bags I found the one that is just right for me. The Hobson Egg bag. Just the bag itself is beautiful. The silk outside makes a snappy pocket square. I wore it as one at a corporate event last night and got several complements on it. Another thing, it is wider than it is long. I have big hands and always had a problem of making the handling look too "fidgety" when I turned it inside out. With this bag my fingers go inside and I can very fairly turn it inside out while showing the inside of the bag at the same time. This thing handles like a dream.

The egg, oh how I love this egg. It is made out of a HARD resin. You could play hockey with this thing and not break it. It is also HUGE. Compared to other eggs on the market this thing shows up nice and it is so big it gives the illusion that there is no way that this thing wouldn't make a big ol' bump in the bag if it was in there. Best of all, you get two of these bad boys.

The handling. Jeff Hobson's handling is a work of art. Remove all the gags and bits he does and just the physical handling is a masterpiece of subtlety. You do not have to prove the bag is empty because you actually show them that the bag is empty. This allows you to get in, get out, get the check, and go home early. Billy McComb always suggested, "If you buy my stuff, try it my way first. I've beaten the routine in for years before I sold it to you."

Taking Billy's advice, I tried it Hobson's way last night at a corporate walk around gig. That is another thing I never would have done with any other bag and routine I used. I never would have done it close up table to table. Hobson's routine is so straight forward that you can play this thing anywhere. It hit these people like a hammer to the forehead. It's a great routine. There are also spots in the routine that scream, insert shtick here. If you are a comedy worker this thing was designed to be a personality piece. I did not use any of Hobson's lines or gags, I used my own. Let's face it, there are probably more lines out there for the egg bag than any other trick in magic. I ran a search on "egg" and "bag" in my joke file and came up with over 500 hits. Remember, chicken jokes come in there, old bag hokes, I mean really think about it, this is a workers dream if you have the routine that allows it.

No more egg under the arm to muddy up the effect for me, this routine is pure effect that hits them hard and has a lot of places to hang your funny.

This trick is going to be a feature for me, I am so sure of that I came home last night and ordered another set bag, eggs, and all. If you find something that works for you always buy two if you can't afford a dozen.

This prop may be pricey compared to some of the others but it is worth every penny, every penny.

WOW!

Best,

Dan-
[/quote]

Well, I have this bag. It's everything Danny said it was and more.

The bag is a work of art. Large mouth for ease in turning the bag inside out. Rounded corners, the clever two tone. It's the best bag I've ever seen.

One reason I never got into performing the egg bag was that you and the audience could see the shape of the egg in the bag. I know guys that have done the bag for 30 years and say "it goes right by them". Well..not all of them.

You can't see the egg once it's hidden in the Hobson Egg Bag. It's invisible to everyone.

The two eggs are BIG. They are perfect for this bag. And no more fear of the egg breaking or using a wooden one. These are light and HUGE!

The instruction from Jeff is as expected, the finest ( and...I believe Jeff's advice and teaching will make folks better magicians/performers )

Why this was released for under $400 I don't know. It can be a showpiece in any performers act.

A world famous performer released his pet routine. This is a MUST HAVE for any serious performer.
Got it ... love it!

Can't wait to use!
I recently bought this and have been doing the routine on thelecturenetwork.com

Very Cool!

I will probably perform this on a TV Special Saturday as one of the routines.
[quote]
On 2008-04-17 10:40, Cashetta wrote:
Got it ... love it!

Can't wait to use!
[/quote]

Cashetta anyone as fabulous as you are deserves a fabulous egg bag! :)

Best,

Dan-
Well thank you Dan!

How sweet!

I'm working on a routine that demonstrates the very delicate art of hiding my ... oh you know! :)

Best
Cashetta
I think that's the Hobson "Egg Sack" which I don't beleive is available.
Don't kill the messenger....
Been using a Charlie Miller bag (Malini) for 40 years. I bought one of these, and tried it in a show. My wife said... 'Go back to the 'unlined' bag. It seems obvious there is a lining (different color tipoff) which helps hide the egg'. So I have....she thinks the Malini works differently. Enough said.
[quote]
On 2008-09-10 12:40, Hayre wrote:
Been using a Charlie Miller bag (Malini) for 40 years. I bought one of these, and tried it in a show. My wife said... 'Go back to the 'unlined' bag. It seems obvious there is a lining (different color tipoff) which helps hide the egg'. So I have....she thinks the Malini works differently. Enough said.
[/quote]
I'm assuming that your wife already knew how an egg bag works. So...
[quote]
On 2008-09-10 12:40, Hayre wrote:
[/quote]

So will you be selling yours?

Let me know...

Ken
Yeah.. I would get rid of it and never do it again if I was you.

Let us know when you are selling it.

Randi
I agree, since your wife picked up on the working you should sell the darn thing and go back to your Miller/Malini bag. Plus you will be back in your comfort zone which is critical for a good presentation.

So...when are you putting it up for sale? If the other folks here fall through I'll take it!
So, if I have the Malini, is it worth the extra $$ to get this one too. In other words, how much better is it? I see on the DVD that you can have the spectator do it in their own hand, which offers an advantage. What others are there, and are they worth paying more for, or is an egg bag an egg bag (especially if it's Malini)?
Hayre:Please put me on the list for purchase[If you decide to sell].I have one working HEB and one still sealed in it's tube.I wouldn't mind having another opened worker at my disposal.Thanks.

Rich
Hey, hey, hey...I asked first.

Hayre....Seriously, if you're selling it, let me know. I've got 2 as well, but a third one wouldn't hurt.

Let's do this deal....

Ken
Mumblemore, an egg bag is an egg bag. However the JHB is a worker. It is a version of the Malini style egg-bag that has been modified according to the dictates of over 1000 performances. It has been made to sell the trick. Jeff Hobson tells you the whys and wherefores of each change he made to the trick. He has proportioned it differently, used a different weight of material to make it, and has made it using two colors. Each change was made from experience and for good reason.

One of the features that sell me on the bag more than the others is the weight of the material used. The egg simply does not “read” from any angle. I often perform in “the round” with spectators all around me (fair and street venues). I can use the JHB completely surrounded and never get busted. You cannot say that for any other Malini style bag! I don’t care how black the black is, the bulge shows in harsh daylight!

You've read at least one post here that finds the older style a better fit for them. Maybe it is for you.

Frankly, the final phase of the trick being done in the spectator’s hands can be done with most egg bags and, in fact is, a critical phase found in many of the older published egg bag routines. That phase is common place EXCEPT with the Malini style bag.

If you were using the Tarbell, Sterling, Mardo, or Standard egg bags you would be performing that phase. Many of the routines developed for those bags used at least on spectator and some used two. The magic happened in the spectator’s hands and under their nose!

The Malini style egg bag and some version of the Ken Brooke routine is the blue eyed boy right now. The Jeff Hobson version is one of the best of this version made. If you are busy working a lot of paid shows then this bag will stand you in good stead. It is a worker.

If you aren’t working all that much stick with the bag you now have. If you have a routine that goes with a specific prop and you can do it blindfolded, sick, or stoned, and a new prop might through you off, by all means stick with your old prop! If you don’t have an egg-bag and don’t know if an egg-bag routine will end up in your act maybe you should start with a Danny Tong version. It is the best quality standard bag for the price one can find.
I have one that I might be willing to sell. If one is interested, just drop me a PM and we can chat.

John
I've got two egg bags. My Jeff Hobson bag is definitely my favorite and the one I use the most. I've never had anyone ask me about the two-toned bag. They literally look (and feel the) inside of the bag to make sure it is empty.

-Mark
Hello everybody!
I appreciate all of your help (especially Harry) for explaining the advantages of my egg bag to Mumblemore. This does bring up a point I've been pondering for a while now. Tell me what you all think - those that have purchased the bag.
Mumblemore is not the only person who has questions like these. When a revised/improved version of a trick comes available, there are plenty of questions from those who don't understand unless someone explained it at length, like Harry did. So, I had the idea for some time now that perhaps I could post the 17 minute version of my explanation of the Hobson Egg Bag on a web page that only magician's could enter (I would put a simple password that all magicians should know, but laymen don't). Then, people like Mumblemore could see all of the details in action and see the why's and how's of it all. I would NOT, however, give anyone access to the private-access page that is included with the HEB package. That, I believe, is where the real secrets of staging and presentation are at. My hesitation would be for the sake of those who purchased the bag since the included CD, and the video on it, would be the one posted for others to see.
Tell me please, all of you loyal HEB users, whataya think??????

Jeff Hobson
From a purely selfish point of view I would hope that you never sold another egg-bag leaving me with less competition! LOL!!

However I do understand your desire to sell the bag and get this excellent (eggcellent!) and way different prop into the hands and repertoire of working performers.

I would have no trouble with the explanation of your changes being available for view by those seriously interested. Yep I own two which I purchased directly from Jeff and am working on obtaining a third from an individual interested in selling one (er…sorry Jeff!). I wouldn’t feel slighted or robbed in any way. It is a good idea, it would answer some very basic questions, and I’d say go for it!
Hi Jeff,

That would be fantastic and awfully generous of you.
I use your egg bag frequently and always looking for new ideas.
I have convinced my greastest critic with your egg bag and routine.
Presently I am using your egg bag techniques and combining it with Professor Spellbinder's Egg Cup routines. From cup to egg bag and back to cup.
Thank you Jeff for a great piece of magic.

Eric
I'm a little leery of the offer and here's why : "YOUTUBE" It WILL find it's way there by some wiseguy who will know the password. This is just too good to even open the door even just a little. I vote nooo-waaaay.
DP
I second that David! No way should the video be available unless one 'invests' in the product.
As I have stated,I have one working JHEB and one still sealed in its tube.If the JHEB suddenly became unavailable,and I was offered $500.00 for my sealed JHEB I wouldn't sell it.A grand maybe.

Rich
Isn't there a more secure way than UTube?

Thanks Rich for recomending HEB, otherwise I would of missed this one.

Eric
Jeff, what a great idea. We'd LOVE to see that happen!

Chris
I think that just explaining the differences in the product wouldn’t hurt anyone. Specifically the two colors and why, the thicker material and why (“egg doesn’t read” really doesn’t tell anyone anything unless they are in the know), the different proportions and why, and finally the make-up of the egg (material used) and why.

Even if that little clip was totally ripped off and posted openly on YouTube it would say nothing. No routine to be stolen and no secret exposed.
Jeff,

I wouldn't object. You've been more than generous with this product, and showing the differences, as Harry mentioned above, wouldn't do anything but help establish it's differences...

Ken
I just re-watched the tiny 17 minute DVD.Every aspect[secret as well as descriptive] of the egg bag is discussed.

***If there was a way to 100% prevent the workings from winding up on Youtube I would agree ...no harm.

However,we all know that is not the case in this exposure ridden world.

This,by the way would expose the basic secret wokings of all egg bags...not just the Hobson Egg Bag.

Just what we need...another easy avenue for for folks who watched a great egg bag routine to go home and type two words 'egg''bag' and this clip pops up....wonderful.

I use My JHEB 4-5 nights a week before 100's of guests.Multiply that by all the other workers and you have many thousands of people being entertained[hopefully]and 'confounded' by this amazing prop.There surely will be a significant percentage who in this easy access age...just have to find out how the egg disappeared and reappeared.

Mr. Hobson:Why don't you just charge a nominal fee for a copy of the mini DVD...which can later be deducted from the purchase price should they wish to purchase the full package.

Lets face it,with a few exceptions,the true value of the JHEB is only going to be recognized by those who work professionally or at least semi-professionally.As was mentioned way earlier in this thread...most hobbiest's will not recognize the price to value ratio of the JHEB....so why take the chance of the 17 minute well produced clip winding up on You Tube?

Best regards.
Rich
I also rewatched the mini-DVD, and if this is what is planned to be shown for all magicians to see, I have to agree with Rich above that the secrets/workings of the egg bag will be exposed.

Not all magicians know how the egg bag works. So those who don't know will have a grand time learning the secret for free.

I don't think there's a need to explain ALL the characteristics of the JHEB to potential buyers just to lure them to buy.

If they like the egg bag as a trick, and know the name Jeff Hobson, (and have the money) they'd buy it.

Just remember that we bought it without ever seeing the 17-min video first.
Being in the Las Vegas magic community for decades, I've seen Jeff perform his egg bag routine, probably more than most reading this thread. Believe me, the magic he does to an audience with this trick has very little to do with the bag!
From my perspective.....
Ted L
[quote]
On 2008-09-18 20:11, leondo wrote:
Being in the Las Vegas magic community for decades, I've seen Jeff perform his egg bag routine, probably more than most reading this thread. Believe me, the magic he does to an audience with this trick has very little to do with the bag!
From my perspective.....
Ted L
[/quote]
Hello Leondo:I could not agree with you more re: Jeff Hobson's magical and extremely entertaining performance.Jeff could probably entertain ANY audience with ANY egg bag. :)

For performers like me in the trenches so to say :)...it has every thing to do with the bag[JHEB].

I used a Sterling EB for 25 years.It was fine for my stand-up shows.

The JHEB has enabled me to create my own personal routine that I can use CLOSE-UP or stand-up with unbelievable results.My JHEB routine has become a fovorite of my guest's,and is one of those effects that gets them laughing,clapping and...ASKING FOR MY CARD!

Why?....It is because of the unique feature of the JHEB...the very features that are fully explained on the 17 minute introductory mini DVD!

I hope the powers that be,can understand why I DO NOT want the 17 minute clip 'given away' and not fully protected.

This has become a bread and butter effect for me[and I am sure for many other workers as well].

Ony:Thank-you for your support of my position.

I have told others..it is my favorite purchase EVER!

Best.
Rich
Been in Magic over 25 years

perform over 100 club ^ cabaret stage shows a year-no kids shows

I just don't get the egg bag!!-Hobson, Thompson ...anybody

doesn't do a thing for me!!-I wish I could as it seems so popular

Having seen many performers do it at conventions, shows & on you tube etc,,

I just don't get it!!!-but I really want too!!!

I had a Malini Egg Bag- but never used it after 2-3 shows!!-comes down to the performer I guess!!
I don't do the egg bag but have seen jeff kill many audiences with it. Like others who do TEB IRS the performer, far more than the bag.

Jeff is my all-time favorite with this trick!
Oops typo! Sorry! My post should have said
It is
Not IRS
Goes to show that eating, driving, emailing don't go well together
IRS??? ! ! ! ! ! Ouch! Don't say that. I'm for the flat tax. Makes sense and is a win-win situation. The problem is that people make a judgement before fully understanding it. There's a couple of great, new books on the subject of flat tax rate. You should all read them.

Speaking of finance . . . . . my father used to live upstairs of a bank. He would always joke that his
assets above a million dollars!

Hey WAIT! This isn't about the IRS, it's about the HEB. What good are those acronyms anyway?

Thank you for all of your comments.

As I understand the concern about having someone rip off the video and post on YouTube, I can say that that probably wouldn't happen. Remember, I've had the entire HEB website available to many hundreds of customers and, so far, not one of those 10 (or thereabouts) videos have been seen anywhere else in the last year they've been available.

I also do understand those who don't want the whole 17 min. DVD video being freely shown to anyone who has the slightest interest. Especially to those who have already purchased the HEB and expect it's integrity to stay intact.

I believe I have the answer from Harry and Ken and those who have mentioned that they wouldn't mind seeing just the explanation of the advantages of the HEB and reasoning behind them, without giving away the actual secret to the merely curious or laymen.

What I will do is make a casual, 5-minute video doing just that. Giving a close look at the HEB for those who really are interested and post it on http://www.HobsonEggBag.com site. Again, no specific secrets. Only those who know what to do with the bag will understand it Hopefully, I'll try to get it posted before I leave out-of-the-country on Monday.

Thank you all for your input! It is truly appreciated!!!!!

Sincerely,

jeff
Great comprise, Jeff. Have a safe trip...

Ken
That's Great Jeff!It's a very logical solution.

Best regards.
Rich
I'm England now and didn't get the chance to post before I arrived here. Will do it when I get back.

Jeff
O.k. to be honest, I do my own routine, but Jeff's egg bag is the best I ever had in my hands. So I use it, yes, and I bought two... Jan
Hi Jeff,

I think posting a short (5 min) video might be a good idea. Having purchased your egg bag from you at Kramien's earlier this year, I would hate for it to get out on You-tube. Keep it safe, and I'd be for it. Happy sales!

Mark
I can't wait until Jeff comes to Kutztown in Nov. So I can buy his egg bag.
Can't get here soon enough.
Ok, I haven't had time to read EVERY post that is on this thread as its long, but I can't rave enough about this egg bag. I HAVE used the other egg bags in the past and this one is just amazing. I used it at a gig tonight and the reactions were AMAZING!!!

I did see some prime examples of "magician thinking" on this thread, talking about how the 2 tone gives away the possibility of a pocket...PLEASE!!! If you do it right, audiences don't have a clue how it's done! Also, the thicker material allows you to show the bag empty in a cleaner way than I have ever seen. Twisting it slowly so that the audience see inside the open mouth of bag before you go into the reveal is an incredible convincer.

Also, lets talk about the egg. I don't know about you, but I could not be bothered with the hassel of blowing an egg, never mind worrying about it breaking. Jeff explains it perfectly when he says that if you perform the trick enough, you want something that's reliable EVERY time. Who knows when you're going to have a spectator crack the egg or drop it etc. With the Hobson egg you don't have that worry and you can give complete concentration to the presentation. Also, I think anyone saying that it doesn't look like a realistic egg is MISSING THE POINT!! Does anyone really care that its not a real egg...NO! The trick is about taking something large, solid and white, putting it into the bag and then making it vanish and reappear. The fact that it has "made in china" written on it is irrelevant. Also, who the heck is going to see that anyway. The hobson egg is perfect in size, weight and colour.

Price wise I say that its worth every penny as Jeff has clearly put a lot of thought into this and what you are getting is the accumulation of thousands of performances. I am ordering my second one now as if something is this good, I like to have a back up!!

So, in conclusion, congratulations Jeff on bringing out a fantastic product in a market that is so often swamped with crap!
Dear "Swamped with Crap",

I really love it when someone "gets it". I think 95% percent of magicians don't and it's sad.
I don't do "fancy" magic to impress myself or other magicians. Sure, I used to perform that type of magic
way back when I did a manipulation act. Even that act had to be chopped up and "de-magic-ed" to appeal
to lay audiences. I think, if I have any talent, it's knowing what matters to a lay audience in terms of magic and entertainment.

I'm very happy that my bag isn't crap.

Thank you for the very kind words!!!! It's a beautiful thing.

Jeff Hobson
I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGKyjTwvhYI&feature=related

Comments?
[quote]
On 2008-10-27 07:25, Ony Carcamo wrote:
I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGKyjTwvhYI&feature=related

Comments?
[/quote]

Wow... I guess he missed the part of the video where Jeff said to come up with your own routine and not just copy him.

Randi
Yes.It is sad.
The JHEB is a tool that invites coming up with a original and personal routine.
Imagine if someone had already seen JH perform his routine,and then they witness this poor imitation....or the other way around.Yikes!

Rich
I agree, he attempted to do it word-for-word, action-for-action.

Bad, bad, very bad JH imitation.
But look how he STUNNED the audience. . . . . or did they look that way when he walked in?

~Jeff Hobson
[quote]
On 2008-10-29 00:14, jeffhobson wrote:
But look how he STUNNED the audience. . . . . or did they look that way when he walked in?

~Jeff Hobson
[/quote]

HAHAHHAHA! So funny!

That's why you are the man!
OH MY GOD!!! Firstly I can't believe that he has literally copied Jeff WORD FOR WORD even down to the "Ooo Ahh, Ooo Ahh!" "I'm back...miss me?", "Slow motion Lighting" "little moose little gel!" and "...what was that?" etc...the list goes on, but mostly what I can't believe is that he has posted it on youtube for the world to see, as though he is proud of it. I was laughing out loud as I counted each and every thing he'd stolen.

One thing I will say to anyone just getting into the egg bag is that when Jeff says come up with your own routine, I don't think (and correct me if I'm wrong here Jeff) he means completely re-invent the wheel. After all, the egg bag is a simple trick. The egg goes into the bag and vanishes, and then reappears. Now if you follow the techniques that Jeff teaches (and I recommend that you do as its very clean) then you ARE going to end up with a similar "structure" to Jeff's, but the important bit is to "build" "on" and "around" that in a way that fits your character. The "slow motion" bit, "little moose, little gel" and other gags that I've mentioned above are all organic and in keeping with his character.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't just copy Jeff, but on the other hand, don't beat yourself up if you don't instantly come up with something that is completely original. I imagine that it took Jeff years to end up with the finished article that he has today.

Start off by performing the egg bag as it is...by making the egg vanish, reappear, vanish and then reappear in their hands, basically the way Jeff does it but without his bits of business, because it is an amazing trick in any case. While you're doing it, explain what you're doing and try to interact with the audience. Follow Jeff's instruction and you will come up with little bits as you perform it more and more. Before you know it, you've got your own routine that suits you.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone agrees or disagrees.
...Also, what the hell is that banging all the way through in the background??? :)
The door was locked and that was an audience member trying to get out! He failed!
Haha...love it! :)
[quote]
On 2008-10-30 21:06, Harry Murphy wrote:
The door was locked and that was an audience member trying to get out! He failed!
[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I thought it was someone banging their head against a wall...

Ken
The egg included with the bag are awesome. I intentionally drop it on the ground as part of my act. I doubt it will ever break, but it's nice that jeff includes two eggs with his product.
If you have 2 eggs you could use 2 eggs in your routine. I've considered that myself.
Got the bag, love it! After four weeks I feel I have an original introduction to lead into the routine.

I feel it may take me a while to develop this further but I'm enjoying playing around so much. In all my years of magic I've never put so much effort into a simple routine.

I feel that making it yours is all part of the fun...except for the wife who absolutly hates the thing down to my repetitive practicing.

She even had a dream she was performing it her self she's seen it that much!

My only fear is that she will burn the thing before I actually get to road test it!
I am seeing Jeff perform this evening and am intrigued by the egg bag. I realize that the effect is dependent on the performer, but is the egg bag effect an effect that you experts out there would recommend for hobbyists doing magic for family and friends? Thanks for the input.
Celebrity:Keep at it.Even though I performed with the Sterling style EB for over two decades....it took me a couple of months of getting used,and devloping a unique routine before I felt comfortable performing the JHEB for real folks.Let me tell you it was worth it.

samdan:Sure you could..there is no difference IMO.It's just that based on some previous comments by members here...it seems that the JHEB's real value seems mostly to be recognized by those who work professionally.You may turn out to be an exception to the rule...only you can decide that.
There are other fine egg bags available if you do not want to spend the $ on the JHEB.I hope you enjoy Jeffs performance.

Happy trails.
Rich
To me, it is very important to come up with an original presentation of a marketed routine, but I think that MJDowden makes a good point that you should not feel bad if you don't change every detail. As Matthew (and many others) point out, developing a routine takes time and evolves after being 'field tested'.

Perhaps this is not a problem to me, as I am still trying to gain proficiency with a Bazar de Magia Malini egg bag (to see if it is a prop that suits my style). Do any of you experienced egg-baggers think the (cheapish) B de M egg bag is a reasonable prop for learning?

I have 'Jeff Hobson Live!', and I just love watching it. I found myself laughing out loud even after several viewings.
Puggo, you’ve read all the reviews and arguments both pro and con of the various styles and makes of egg-bags. I know that it can get confusing so let me say this: it doesn’t make any difference! An egg bag is an egg bag is an egg bag. They all do the same thing! They vanish and reproduce and egg. Some are better built and can withstand hard use that accompanies being a working professional. Some speak to the weaknesses that are often perceived in the construction of egg-bags. Then some simply look and feel better than others. Even so, they all do the same thing.

Bottom line is really simple. Find a style of bag you like and learn to use it. I would say that until you really know that you are going to include an egg bag in your act (or if you are just experimenting to see if you will actually use an egg-bag) then go for inexpensive. I would even recommend that you make your own. It is not difficult, there are no moving parts and it is not rocket science.

If you already have a strong routine and know the egg bag is a permanent fixture in your act then buy (or have made) the best most durable prop you can afford in the style that you use.

To the audience it’s just a cloth bag and that is all is it supposed to be.
I agree with you only partly Harry.

This does come to mind though...
Let's look at learning to do target whipping.
Bullwhips are just freaking expensive.
But if you want to learn to do it, you need to shell out the money and buy a nice one.
If you don't, you will only be hurting yourself trying to learn on a cheap product and will probably fail or give up.

But, on the other hand...
You could be right... an egg bag may be an egg bag, maybe.
Not saying I know, just somethng that came to mind.

As yes, I am learning target whipping.

Randi
Harry and Randi,
Thanks for the comments. I'm not trying to please everyone, but think that you both make strong points.
Harry, I have read through the various pages on the egg bag, and think that as usual, you offer polite, helpful, and informative advice - which I do essentially agree with.
I am trying out the prop to see if it is 'me'. With cards (and rope etc.) for example, I practice with different items; e.g. worn out, bridge size, cheap, and normal bicycle stock, in order that I can always perform if handed a 2" thick fluffy deck from the drawer. In other words, cards are cards, but are all egg bags egg bags?
However, Randi has accurately identified my concern (and I don't have a better analogy than the target whipping!). As I have no egg bag experience, and the magicians I work with do not either, will a potentially inferior prop perhaps color my judgement regarding the technical handling (compared to the presentational side of things)? I also have a £3 / $6 'egg bag', that might as well be an envelope, and I have not ever bothered practicing with it, as it really belongs in a christmas cracker.
Thanks to you both, I will carry on experimenting with the prop I have.
Randi is absolutely right. A well made and deceptive egg bag is a must. A thing that is a flimsy “Christmas Cracker” version will not help you much. I forget that there is some real toy level junk out there.

I was thinking about the number of egg-bags that are well made, very deceptive that don’t cost an arm and a leg. I was thinking of those that will stand you in good stead for discovering the basics of the trick and let you know if you will even like doing it, i.e., does it fit your performing style and performing persona.

I’d love to recommend that one start with one of the top of the line bags like Hobson’s or Fabric Manipulations. They are two of the best Malini style bags available.

However there are several sources that are good reliable, well made, deceptive and inexpensive alternatives available. For example Danny Tong’s wife makes a great bag (and one that many of the working pro’s used for decades before Hobson or Welsh came along). Hers is fairly inexpensive, a well made and deceptive worker’s bag.

She also makes the Tarbell/Sterling type of bag for about the same price. Again it is well made, deceptive, and worthy of a working professional.

You’ll have less than $50.00 invested and have a bag that will last for years or at least to the point that you know if egg-bagging is for you.

Me? Right now I am working on a routine using the Hobson bag. I have accumulated three of the beasts and won’t give them up. I say working on a routine since I’m an old Tarbell/Sterling/Mardo egg-bagger and now changing to the Hobson/Malini style.

By the way Randi, my uncle was a Target Whip performer. He traveled across Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and New Mexico performing at school assemblies (50s and early 60s). I tell a story of one of his performances at my Junior High School when I was a kid (probably before your parents were born!). I’ll have to share it one day (or just PM NUMS and ask him. I told it to him a couple of times! LOL!).

He taught me a couple of elements of his act but I never really got proficient with it. He gave me a whip (maybe 6-7 feet or so). He made his own whips. The man also could do knife throwing and a marksman act. He performed those acts when he worked one of the last Wild West Shows or a Carnival. The whip act was the only act he performed at school assembly programs. I sure loved the old guy and enjoyed those times he showed up with his little Airstream trailer and spent a month or two with us.
LOL...the "whippersnappers" are coming out of the woodwork!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I, too, am a whip player. I've been throwing single tails (bullwhips, snake whips and signal whips) for 12 years. I've got a collection of about 20 'roo whips, the longest being nearly 10' from butt to the end of the fall. My best trick is to slice a banana in even, 1" slices while it's being held horizontally at waist level by a willing volunteer. :fear:

I've been working on a bullwhip-as-card-sword routine I'm calling "The World's Most Dangerous Card Trick" for more than a year, but I've still not perfected the method. I haven't as yet come up with a method that works first time, every time, but I've come up with a slew of methods that [b]don't[/b] work, or don't work work well enough to suit me.

Randi, I see that you're in Texas. Who's coaching you, if I may ask? I might know him/her.

Okay, I now return you to your previously scheduled discussion. ;)
Joe Fairchild and his late brother, Bobby, both did a whip act.

Richard
Wow... sorry Jeff about the whip topic.. but here comes more!!

I would love to hear the story Harry!
Please PM me it to me.

Donal Chayce... slicing a bannana.. that's freaking awesome!!!
My friend has a method for doing card-whip.
It works pretty good and is easy.

As far as learning... mostly on my own... but I know two guys, that can do bullwhips, that are helping me.
I doubt you know them.. they are young and not performers of any kind.

Randi
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 23:42, randirain wrote:
Donal Chayce... slicing a bannana.. that's freaking awesome!!!
My friend has a method for doing card-whip.
It works pretty good and is easy.
[/quote]

I'd love to learn more. If you're willing, we can move it to Secret Sessions or exchange some PMs.
Quite a few D/s folks on here. Randi I can see. Harry, I didn't expect.

Chris, how could I not? You forget that I'm a chains, rope, and straight jacket kind of guy! LOL!!!

Now back to our topic!
Does anyone use the eggs Jeff furnishes with his Egg Bag with other egg bags?

Thanks....

allen
Yes. I have a Tarbell/Sterling bag and a standard bag (from the 50's) that I've recently use the Hobson eggs with. The bags were being used because of the fabric and look fitting a character.
I just got the HEB. I've been on the fence for some time with this one, despite the posts here from those whose advice I trust and respect. For me, having a handful of successful performances under my belt but not being a pro, I couldn't justify the additional expense. I've been using Lynetta's wonderful bag with Dan Tong's as my back-up and Ken Brooke's routine.

But, after seeing this in action, with Jeff performing it on stage, it just "clicked" for me that this prop, and Jeff's handling and advice, made this purchase a no-brainer for me. The HEB deals with all the issues I've had to deal with with the other bags.

This baby can not only be seen from the BACK of the auditorium (Jeff encourages all performers to play to the back of the audience), but turning it inside out fairly can be seen from the very back. The entire audience is as engaged as if they were up on stage with the volunteer.

And searching for an egg that doesn't risk dropping and breaking it, the spectator dropping and breaking it, squeezing it to oblivion, going for the back-up egg in the middle of a performance, etc., etc., I appreciate the eggs supplied.

If you do a final load in your routine (which would'nt fit imho in Jeff's routine), you don't have to worry about fumbling with the bag to keep it "open".

Big hands can fit into the bag easily.

Everything about it is just so well-thought out -- I'm really working to come up with a routine that does this "stupid little trick" (I think those were Jeff's thoughts in his lecture) justice.

Any other thoughts on the best way to "mark" the right side of the bag in a not-too-obvious way? I know this shouldn't be an issue if you do the moves exactly as Jeff does, but as someone mentioned about doing this in the heat of battle, I'd like to always see where the egg should be.
My bags are "marked" in 2 different ways but honestly once you've done the routine 20 times you'll never look for the mark the rest of your life.

If you insist,

Take a sharpie and make a little dot at the top of the bag on one side.
There's your mark.

So what issues did you have to "deal with" with the other bags?
I sewed a 1/2" square piece of black 'hook' velcro inside the upper corner of the bag.This allows me to know exactly know where I am at[by touch],without even having to look at the bag.

Happy trails.
Rich
Thanks for the suggestions. The markings have been a crutch for me as a checkpoint.

[quote]
On 2008-11-10 13:53, Frank Starsini wrote:

So what issues did you have to "deal with" with the other bags?
[/quote]

Small ones really, and perhaps easily resolved. The HEB design addresses them though and will make the handling and spectator management easier for me.

For one, the color. On stage, the black bags really do fade into the background, unless you've got the benefit of some great spot lighting. I don't intend to re-ignite the whole two-tone debate. When I saw Jeff perform with his bag, I tried to view it as a lay spectator. It was so much easier to see from way back, and it was abundantly clear that when he turned the bag inside out, he really turned it inside out.

Second, I've thought that turning the bags inside out when they're the same color could lead someone farther away to the incorrect conclusion that you're just pretending to turn it inside out. This resolves when the spectator pulls the bag inside out, and when doing this close-up.

I finish with a drink load, and the material on my other bags causes the mouth to hang a little more closed than the HEB. I'm finding I need no extra move or fumbling to "open" the HEB bag to load it, because it already hangs open.

The width to length ratio of the bags -- it's kind of cramped with my fingers holding open the bag and keeping the egg hidden, and the spectator putting their hand through to pull it inside out at the same time. (I have large hands). I really feel more comfortable handling the wider HEB.

I won't shutter my Fabric Manipulations or Tong bags, and I've gotten great reactions using them. I know there are other great bags on the market. I just find the HEB egg bag more comfortable for me, easier to see from a distance, and (hopefully) sells the illusion even better for the spectators.
Hey everyone. I haven’t been following this discussion so I don’t know if this topic has been discussed. I was just wondering if there is still the opportunity to buy a second bag for a reduced rate. The card that I received states that is redeemable by Dec 31. I haven’t played with the bag much until recently and now I know exactly where it will fit in a future show so I would like a backup. If anyone knows or if Mr. Hobson is watching this thread and can let me know that would be great.
Follow the instructions that came with the bag and you'll go to the website. See if it is still available. There is even a contact button so you can get in touch with Mr. Hobson directly. You would probably get a faster response.
Thanks Harry,

I'll do that. I just wasnt sure as it looks like its geared towards dealers. I guess it wont hurt sending an email.
After seeing Jeff twice in the last week. I decided to bite the bullet and pick one up. I spent a good chunk of the afternoon playing with it and WOW! The egg bag had never been a solid piece of my repertiore. I would do it for a while, then take it out again. This time, I think it will stay. Every single one of his changes makes sense. I really love the "stiffness" of the bag that eliminates the bulge. I'm working 3 hours of strolling tomorrow during lunch hour and have 2 more strolling gigs this weekend. I'll probably add this in a few times to give it the audience test and see what happens.
Thank you all for the great support on the HEB. It's wonderful to find that people appreciate something that you've put a lifetime of work into.

Yes, Ryan has taken advantage of the coupon that is included with a first-time purchase of the HEB. Ryan. . . I just got back into town from my tour and the HEB will be sent to you tomorrow. Thank you!

Pepka. . . . Great to see you last week. What a great time! It was a pleasure to see the East side of the U.S. again. . .it's been a while! Please let me us know how your shows went.

Thank you all again!!!!! If there are any more questions on the HEB, I will be happy to answer them.

Jeff Hobson
By the way, for those that are concerned with the 'marking' of the bag. . . I've never used it. When I "set" my bag, I have the egg placed into the gimmicked corner of the bag so I know where I'm starting at. If I ever lose my place, I simply feel one outside corner of the bag. . . . . if I feel the seam of the pocket, then I'm good. If not, I know it's on the opposite corner. This way, it's a "feel" rather than a visual landmark. I don't want the risk of not being able to see the marking if I'm in a dark performing environment.

Hope this helps some of you.

Jeff
In the heat of battle [performance]...for ME it is difficult to tell one seam from another...that is why I sewed the tiny piece of hook velcro into the upper corner opposite the pocket.
I am sure this is the same idea that you use with the seam Jeff...I personally just can't feel a difference..but that's just me.So thus my suggestion re: the bit of black velcro.[for others who want to be 'certain' of the orientation of the bag.

I just love the fact that can remove the bag...feel for the bit of velcro,and not have to look at the bag,as I speak to the guests.

Mark my JHEB? Never![No offence Frank..but give the velcro a try...it does the job] Hey..I may try doing the JHEB blindfolded. LOL

PS.One suggestion that I have for JHEBagger's[you may already do this]...handle the bag like it is almost weightless.In my opinion this really adds to the illusion.

Rich
Just a thought on "marking" the bag! No offence to anyone who does mark their bag but why do you need to? You can clearly feel the pocket when you reach into the bag, and if you do it the way that Jeff does, i.e. holding the bag upside down and putting the egg up into it, if you feel the pocket is on the wrong side simply spin the bag while its resting on your hand. If you do it while speaking and don't draw attention to it its no problem.

Maybe there's something I'm missing but that's what I do.
Hi Matthew:As you can read in the above post,I agree,it is not necessary to 'mark' the bag.

However,with my personal routine,I also want to eliminate any unnecessary adjusting of the orientation of the bag...that is why my velcro idea works for me.
I can speak with my guests looking at them,and hold the bag at my fingertips and be sure of the correct orientation.
This eliminates any need for my hand to enter the bag to find the correct orientation.
Once I feel the tiny piece of hook velcro,I can freely and very casually handle the bag.
This works for me.

Rich
Hi Rich,

Must apologise as I hadn't really read all of the messages so when I was saying about not needing to mark the bag, I wasn't saying that it applied to everyone. It was just an observation for anyone doing a standard routine who was maybe new to the egg bag and worried about the orientation.

Your method sounds very practical and if it works for you that's cool.

All the best

Matthew
Just got this and I REALLY like it! Thanks for putting this on the market Jeff. I am going to get another one!
[quote]
On 2008-09-19 06:14, Brent McLeod wrote:
Been in Magic over 25 years

perform over 100 club ^ cabaret stage shows a year-no kids shows

I just don't get the egg bag!!-Hobson, Thompson ...anybody

doesn't do a thing for me!!-I wish I could as it seems so popular

Having seen many performers do it at conventions, shows & on you tube etc,,

I just don't get it!!!-but I really want too!!!

I had a Malini Egg Bag- but never used it after 2-3 shows!!-comes down to the performer I guess!!
[/quote]
I didn't really get the egg bag until I attended a seminar conducted by Harry Riser, that I believe happened in the late 80s. He devised many details of egg bag handling and seeing his routine really sold me.

I remember two very important things. First, he pressed the bag flat, showing that the bag was empty in a totally convincing manner. There wasn't room for a marble to hide, much less an egg!

Second, Harry handed the bag to a spectator and he was able to look inside, verifying that the bag was empty, yet he could produce the egg. Harry wasn't physically intervening in any way! The spectator produced the egg, from a bag that he stated was empty!

I fiddled with a Malini bag for about 15 years, learned to use Mardo and Tarbell bags because they were easier to use, and later switched to the Hobson bag because it bridged what I knew about all of the bags. It also helped that I attended a Denny Haney seminar on the Malini bag, a few months before I bought a Hobson bag.
Been using Jeff's bag now for a while, and recently started using it more in strolling gigs. Absolutely brilliant in this situation. Whether it's a group of 2 or 20, this routine kills!!!

I used it in a high school graduation lock in party over the weekend, and performed it about 2 dozen times for different groups. It rocked each time. Instant reset and fits in a pocket. The groups were very close, and no sign of a b*l&g*.

If you haven't used it strolling, give it a shot. You won't regret it....

Ken