(Close Window)
Topic: You Asked For It! (1950's TV show)
I just happened to run across this item -- a 4-disc, 5-hour DVD set of vintage magic and escape acts from the classic 1950's television show, "You Asked For It!" Click [url=http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=DA1425]HERE[/url] for more information.

This could be VERY interesting, with cameos of Blackstone, Dante, Tarbell, Frakson, Kuda Bux and other greats presenting many classic illusions. My only concern would be the quality of the images, because most material of this nature is limited to kinescopes, which are 16mm copies of the actual broadcasts, as opposed to 35mm film of the original show itself. In some cases, the original kinescopes have also been subsequently duped (copied), which further degrades the image and sound quality. Even if the original show was done in 35mm, sometimes these 1950's TV shows will exist only in worn 16mm reduction TV prints, which were made for use by local TV stations and are usually full of scratches, splices and dirt.

This was a problem with the recent reissue of the Don Alan "Magic Ranch" DVD's, which had wonderful content, but only fair to poor video and audio in many spots. Of course, it's great that this material has been preserved at all, but it gets tough on the eyes and ears after a while. And although I guess the source material could have been digitally restored and cleaned up, that sort of work isn't cheap and probably would have added substantially to the cost.

So I'll be interested to see a review of this DVD set, if anyone has picked it up. I do remember watching the original show, which was (and probably still is) pretty neat! SETH
This is an amazing set. I really can't say enough about it. It's all in B&W and the video is a little grainy, but what else would you expect from a 60 year old tv show? My girlfriend, who I like getting a laymen's opinion from, said it's the best magic she's ever watched with me.