(Close Window)
Topic: Survival Magic DVD Simon Lovell
This looks like a interesting concept for a DVD. I do enjoy Simon's work and I think this will be a winner.

Any thoughts?

http://www.magicmakersinc.com/dvds/survivalmagic.html
It looks like a pass to me. I like Simon as well, but I think I'll be skipping it.
I think it has possibilities.
It really is impromptu stuff with an edgier name.
Were it put out by anyone other than Magic Makers, then I would consider it. As it stands, I refuse to patronize them.

-AY
Also sounds like the "Nothing" DVDs by Max Maven, but more for beginners.

Robert
Is that Ben Salinas that Simon is doing the torn and restored napkin trick for?
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Mar 4, 2008 11:51PM)
I bet he was REALLY fooled by it!
I think it's so funny how Simon Lovell comes on the Reel Magic Quarterly [outstanding DVD series BTW, I love it] and calls people idiots if they buy DVDs.

He also says the internet is a total waste of time.
I rhink I'll take his advice and not buy his DVDs.
James
Lol , well simon has just shot 5 more episodes of reel magic so look for him to rant for another year...hes very funny!

also just to let you know that reel magic quarterly is now reel magic quarterly PLUS instead of 4 episodes a year were going to 6...

thanks for the support

koz
Great news, Ted! Personally, I love Simon's rants on the Reel Magic Quarterly.

Robert
James,

Just to clarify I don't think people are idiots for buying DVD's - I merely made the point that I prefer to learn from books. I think books are better. By just learning from DVD's there is a tendancy to become a clone of the performer but if you learn from a book there is a much better chance of you injecting your own personality and presentation into an effect making it your own.

I also do not think that the internet is a waste of time. I do believe that there is a lot of bad and worthless stuff on it but it is a growing medium. As I said I hope it will get better but as it stands right now I think one has to be very selective about whom you listen to on it. There is good stuff but you have to know where to look.

As to whether you get this new DVD or not that is, of course, your choice! Perhaps you'll buy a book with the money you saved by not doing so!

Best to all,

Simon
So why bother teaching on DVD's if you don't think it is a prefferable medium?
I LOVE Reel magic quarterly. It is the best thing going right now.
Six issues! That is great news. I am going to subscribe now.
James
Nick,

Magic is my job, my form of income - I have written books but because the market place has moved to DVD's I try to please the buying public.

I was merely saying that my preferred form of learning is from books,

That having been said I also need to make a living and if the magical market wants DVD's then I do my best to make the ones I put out as good as possible. In a perfect world I'd rather do books but, at the end of the day, we all have to pay our bills and taxes. So, as a compromise, I just try to do a good job and keep as many people as possible happy!

All the best,

Simon
Why debate books or DVDs? I use both to try and improve my skills, and I have a number of Mr. Lovell's always entertaining and informative DVDs. Learning a skill is best done through a number of channels, such as aural, visual and tactile. The same can be said for learning sleights. Reading a description may provide some deep knowledge, but seeing someone incredibly skilled do it and explain certain subtleties or a different way, helps one to learn in a different, supplemental way. (At least for me).

John
In case you didn't know Simon still makes a living while cheating at everything.
I personally love Simon's quacky sense of humor, his workable card magic, and his rockin gaff dvd!

I don't plan on picking up this dvd, but Simon is still a cool guy.
Simon Lovell-what's not to love about him? His magic, humor, intelligence. The world is a better place with him in it!
Thank you Chris and Tian,

Now I'm blushing!

All the best,

Simon
[quote]
On 2008-03-05 13:51, Simon Lovell wrote:
James,

Just to clarify I don't think people are idiots for buying DVD's - I merely made the point that I prefer to learn from books. I think books are better. By just learning from DVD's there is a tendancy to become a clone of the performer but if you learn from a book there is a much better chance of you injecting your own personality and presentation into an effect making it your own.

I also do not think that the internet is a waste of time. I do believe that there is a lot of bad and worthless stuff on it but it is a growing medium. As I said I hope it will get better but as it stands right now I think one has to be very selective about whom you listen to on it. There is good stuff but you have to know where to look.

As to whether you get this new DVD or not that is, of course, your choice! Perhaps you'll buy a book with the money you saved by not doing so!

Best to all,

Simon
[/quote]

Simon,
what I really want to know is, how can you work for a company that rips off other magicians material?

Anders Moden's Healed and sealed was a manuscript and Magic makers put out a DVD called "Crushed and cured". If you search Google, it is sold on many websites.

You are helping a band of pirates prosper. How do you justify that?
Thanks for your response in advance,
James Lionn
I do my DVD's with them and credit everything as far as I possibly can. Doing magic is my living and I work with people who give me the best product visually and also the best deal. MM have always been very good to me and I will continue to work with them. I always try to do my very best to give the magic community the very best I can.

They do seem to be the current whipping boys of the magic world but there are many other dealers etc out there who have done the same as they are being blamed for. The difference that I can see is that MM are trying to move forward and not make any more of them. They take adivice and information and so, despite past errors, they are doing their very best to correct them and move on.

It is of course your choice as to buying their products or not.

All the best,

Simon
I also throw in my hat for Simon! I think his sense of humor and his material is Grade A stuff. He quotes his sources and with MM he usually gets a good product. (Unlike the hicks in the L&L audience who are still knocked off their chairs by a double lift after seeing it done 4000 times).

People can not buy Simon's stuff for whatever reason they choose...but I think that is their loss.

Keep up the good work Simon!
I have two books from Simon which I'm sure were put out by L&L. This is mostly the
same stuff which is now being re-hashed onto dvd's.

Yes, Simon can be funny but I think his defence of MM to be extremely lame.

CyrusTX if you can get the same reaction that Tommy Wonder or Bill Malone get on
their excellent L&L dvd's then well done! [and if you have'nt got those sets RUN and buy them!
I have the entire LL dvds. I own a magic shop. I love tommy wonder and bill Malone (had bill come to austin to give a show for us couple years ago.)

BUT....there were probably 4 times in the first set of Malone DVDs that I would have prefered to see the move and not the fake reaction that the camera cut to. Maybe I am different, but I buy the those DVDs to study the magician...not to see some fake audience reaction.

I say fake reaction but I acknowledge this....malone's performance or wonder's or any top magician would get a great reaction. I am saying it is the same freaking group in every video and the same reaction. OK, I get it..they are there to show us how great it is...BUT...please don't cut away form the performer so I can see that group.
I understand you now.There was an entire thread on that audience.

If you own a magic shop I hope you stock the original 'Cardtoon' by Dan Harlan and the original 'Pen thru anything' by John Cornelious.
Despite Simon saying MM are doing their best to move forward their site is still
littered with copies of other peoples ideas.
We do..we do. We attempted to not carry any 'knock-off' products.

We have had some showup from time to time but as soon as I learn that a certain product is a knock-off I will never order it again.
Why does every thread have to turn into this?
If you want to discuss the ethics about magic makers, there is a thread on "Right or wrong"

How many knock offs of pen thru dollars are on the market?

I like Lovell's dvds and they will continue to be the few that I purchase from M.M.
I read this whole post but still haven't figured out what to expect from the dvd.
Just got the DVD--

Just seeing Simon work is worth the money!

:)
The dvd has some solid effects in it. I enjoyed watching it. Simon is very funny and his teaching style is good.
Can someone give a description of the effects on here?
Simon makes me smile. I immediately think of sitting with him having some ice cold brews in a pub on w. 46st and commenting about the girls walking by the window.

He strikes me as a wonderful fellow.
I have this DVD. It has some great impromptu stuff on it! I think it was around 15 bucks at the local magic shop. that's cheaper than most movie DVDs. It has around 14 different effects on it.
PLUG!

Simon and I will be on a mini lecture tour from May 1st till the 9th. If you check out the So Happy Together section you will see a list of dates and venues.

If you guys can make it you can see some great magic, ask about his DVD's, and we can all talk about MM.

Hope to see you there!
Ben
Magic makers are not trying to get way from it. The just put out a ring on band dvd that ripps of russ nedzwiki( spelling) pinical routine! As I have told you face to face soimon. I think your a great guy and respect your work. I just wish you would build alliances with a better company
I personally didn't like the DVD as far as effects go and was surprised that Simon was on this kind of project.It had one or two effects that are quiet solid but other than that it as a bit of a let down..............but!!!Simon is an absolutely excellent performer,magician and an all round hilarious guy! I have many other of his DVD's (Million Dollar Card Magic,Packet Killer,Toolbox,Transpo Kings etc....) and they are all incredible and outstanding as well as his compilations and effects with David Acer he is definitely one of my all time favorite magicians!That's why I was surprised to see his in something that wasn't absolutely flawless!I also agree with what Allan said.Magic Makers just makes knock-offs of other creators effects! you definitely deserve better Simon!
[quote]
On 2008-04-23 02:12, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Simon makes me smile. I immediately think of sitting with him having some ice cold brews in a pub on w. 46st and commenting about the girls walking by the window.

[/quote]
That is a mildly disturbing thought?......don't you think?
[quote]
On 2008-11-01 22:46, SplitSpades11 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Watching girls walk by is disturbing? I guess if you don't like girls it is. Watch whatever/who you want. Whatever floats your boat.
[quote]
On 2008-11-01 23:15, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-11-01 22:46, SplitSpades11 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Watching girls walk by is disturbing? I guess if you don't like girls it is. Watch whatever/who you want. Whatever floats your boat.
[/quote]
Stalking people in an imaginary world with Simon Lovell is just a really random thing to imagine that's all.It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into the whole scenario and I find that quiet weird!
I picked up this DVD I was sirt if dissapointed through out the DVD while watching it there was nothing really for me. UNTIL the last routine. and WOW This handling of the routine with girls and family secrets is brilliant and worth it for me this is some powerful stuff.

Actually I was not 100% dissapointed because the first effect was a center tear routine which I do a center tear routine but this handling is brilliant and justifies many of the problems.

There are two other good things I got out of this but they are not magic they are bar bets and I hate bar bets and never use them but will use these. The first is about something no one has ever seen in their life not even you and you have it and show it.

The second has to do with a stack of card decks and a glass which really fools.

But the rest of the stuff on the tape is very basic and can be found in many books but that last routine is just a great effect. I hate the term worth the price of the tape, book, etc but I really do feel that the last effect is worth the price.
[quote]

[/quote]

There is no "sitting and watching" with Simon, there is only looking for a stick to beat all the women off of him. Nope, I'm not kidding... I think it's the accent (or his uncanny ability to strike up conversations with women who love soccer).

As far as the magic, and performance... there is none better. I've seen some pretty hard core sleight of hand guys, and some hilarious performers; but nobody combines the two with the skill of Simon Lovell.

I work close up for a living, at least three nights a week for the last ten years. Just when I think I've got it all figured out, and my head starts to get big, I go watch Simon, and he makes me realize how much I still have to learn. Don't be fooled by his light hearted persona, or accent... he will smoke you every day of the week (twice on Sunday). Buy his stuff. Listen to him teach. Apply the lessons. Become a better magician.
Thanks for all the support and kind comments guys. I really do my best to put out the very best products I can and, to the very best of my ability, try to help anybody who asks me for help. The responses here make me feel, nicely, that I am making a difference for the better and will continue to work hard to do so.

On a recent movie shoot(for a film about young magicians and their mentors to be released next year) they asked me what I thought 'success' to me meant. I honestly replied that, these days, my biggest pleasure comes from passing on whatever I might know or, indeed, be worthwhile to them, especially younger magicians wanting to become true performers.

I may not be everybody's 'cup of tea' but at least I try to be a nice guy and am always happy to discuss entertainment with anybody!

Hey, and I still need a stick to fight the ladies off (just joking!)

Oh thanks for making me look still like a sex symbol Michael, even at my even increasing age!

All the best to all,

Simon
Mr Lovell that last routine the psychometry one is one of the most *** brilliant things I just love it and the thing that no one has ever seen (Dont want to expose) and the handling of the Center tear are just so awesome
Now available for $6.95 plus shipping / handling from http://themagicwarehouse.com
Barts185, good find!

Here's the direct link for anyone interested:

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=DA1504&keyword=SIMON%20LOVELL