(Close Window)
Topic: Folding quarter
Without having to go through Lassen or Schoolcraft at least not yet, can anyone direct me to a quality folding quarter with a 2-seam full profile cut.

And where can you get the rubberbands for the same coin. I'm looking for rubberbands that are approximately 1/4 inch in diameter and just shy of 1/16 inch thick. I have about 5 left and don't remember where I got them. I'm not looking for the ones that look like they are cut with an exacto knife from one long rubber tube. The ones I have look like they might be manufactured that way. They are all exactly uniform in shape and all the exact same size. Thanks for anyone's help.
Tbaer, maybe the little rubberbands used for braces (dental) will work.
You should go with Johnson. They have a good looking folding coin. Half and a quarter. They also have the bands for these coins. PM Me for Phone # If needed
Lassens has the best in my opinion but if you want to squeaze the buck then Johnson.
Twocan is right, Johnson is going to last you a while and be a good gaffed coin for you. There are some cheaper ones, but they don't look as good nor last as long. Unless you only plan on using them a short while and not too often,stay away from the cheap brands. Johnson will do you a good job.
I Agree, Johnson coins are great coins for the magi on a budget.
I have the johnson folding quarter and it works great. Somewhere I read about putting an extra band on it. This has worked great for me.
I second the two band thought. It gives you that extra safety measure that if one goes the other will save the day. The little rubber bands that are used for braces do work extremely well also. Give your dentist a shot and if you strike out there and stick with a Johnson or Kueppers' folding coin you can always order replacements for thhose. As well if you are some what close to a magic shop they should have replacements.

Jeff
I just got a Johnson double profile cut folding eagle quarter and you cannot see the seams. You get 10 rubberbands with the coin.
Check out roy knueppers quarters too....nice stuff.
I agree that the Johnson's are better but the Kueppers are great for the price. I picked up both the Folding Quarter (two folds) and the Bite Out (one fold) for about $7 each.
Message: Posted by: Magic from A to Z (Apr 26, 2008 11:44PM)
I just wanted to give you experience with considering purchasing a Johnson Folding quarter.
I had the opportunity of viewing several (dozen or more) quarters from a local dealer who sells Johnson coins. I'll have to say that out of the dozen or more coins, only one maybe two looked convincing enough to be or "appear" to be a solid coin up close and personal.

I'm particular about my coins. For me as a close up magician, it's one less obstacle to have to concern myself about having prove/ convince the participant that the coin is solid. I'm the kind of person that likes for my participants to get down on top of the coin.

Bottom line, I believe seeing is believing. If you have a local dealer available, take the opportunity to view several of the coins before you purchase one.

I can't speak about the Lassen or Schoolcraft coins because I've never owned one. Maybe someone can give me some advice with having purchased one their folding quarters.

Just my quarter's worth.

allen
In most (if not all) folding quarter applications, you are going to be showing them a real quarter or using their coin, then switching out at the last minute. The need for it to withstand extremely close-up scrutiny is pretty minimal. But, check out Todd and Jamie's sites if you want to see their folding coins - I'm sure Jamie's are nice and the Lassen ones I've seen are very subtle and convincing.
Message: Posted by: Magic from A to Z (Apr 27, 2008 12:55PM)
How do Jamie's and Todd's folding coins compare to Johnson's folding coins in regards to easily lodging and dislodging from a bottle, are they laser cut or machine cut/ what's the difference, do you ever have the coin come apart when lodging the coin into a bottle, etc., etc.? What causes the coin to come apart and how can you prevent the coin from coming apart?

allen
I use the johnson coin with two rubber bands and never had any problems great product.
[quote]
On 2008-04-27 00:44, Magic from A to Z wrote:
I just wanted to give you experience with considering purchasing a Johnson Folding quarter.
I had the opportunity of viewing several (dozen or more) quarters from a local dealer who sells Johnson coins. I'll have to say that out of the dozen or more coins, only one maybe two looked convincing enough to be or "appear" to be a solid coin up close and personal.
allen
[/quote]

Allen, were they profile cuts? The one I have you cannot see the seams unless within a foot away. The ones you looked at, I wonder if the bands were stretched out and needed changing.
Message: Posted by: Magic from A to Z (Apr 27, 2008 09:13PM)
If I recall, I'm sure they were profile cuts, but just found it interesting that only one or two were convincing enough to be a "solid" coin to within a foot or less. You may be correct, I hadn't thought that the bands may have been stretched on the others to consider.

Thanks.....

allen
This is one of my favorite effects. The Johnson works well for me. I use a brown beer bottle and let them see it inside the bottle. I have never been called out on the coin. The fact that they still believe its their quarter is what sells it.

The biggest concern is the gimmick breaking in the bottle. Make sure to double up on the band.
Are all folding quarters two-folds or are any single fold?
Jon- There are bite quarters that are single fold, if I understand your question correctly. (By the way, I just purchased your "Double Back". Love it. Thanks.)

John
Hi John,

Thanks for posting and glad you love Double Back!

I take it bite out quarters aren't made for CiB but can be used for it while the CiB folding coins are all double fold? What do most US magicians use do you think for CiB?
Jon- I am no expert, but maybe it is easier for the double fold to fold up for removal from the bottle than it is for a single fold. Just a thought.

John
Hello, I am interested in the coin in bottle effect as well as the bite out. I have a euro coin from years back but I find it bad, (wrong value - 50 cent, can see the creases [spelling?], and cant use 2 bands as they don't fit). can anybody please tell me where to find a good quality euro coin?

Kim

ps. Should it be difficult to get the coin out from the bottle as I am having trouble getting it out...?
Kim, I posted some thoughts in your other thread on this subject.
Don
Does anyone know a specific brand of folding coin that is specifically single-fold?
Precision Magic has a "bite coin plus" that is suppose to be very good. I believe it is a single cut.
Tbaer,
I’m late joining in, but I will pipe in anyway… I’m glad you purchased the Johnson coin. You can never go wrong with any of their offerings, in my opinion Johnson coins are the best value out there.
Have fun….thanks,
Bruce
Where would you recommend to buy a good quality but not to expensive canadian bite quarter with reasonable shipping costs (i live in Canada in an area where there are no magic shops so ordering is my only option). Thank you for your help
[quote]
On 2008-03-03 20:17, Mithrandir wrote:
Tbaer, maybe the little rubberbands used for braces (dental) will work.
[/quote]

These were what I used to replace mine. They work great. Perfect size and great tension.
[quote]
On 2008-11-16 19:14, carlosbosco wrote:
Where would you recommend to buy a good quality but not to expensive canadian bite quarter with reasonable shipping costs (i live in Canada in an area where there are no magic shops so ordering is my only option). Thank you for your help
[/quote]

I would suggest calling some of the shops in larger Canadian cities. Kueppers makes gaffs from Canadian coins, I have not dealt with him directly in many years.
K thanks I'll check Kueppers website
Does anyone know the proper size dental band for the 3pc. folding quarter? The ones I purchased are to thick to fit the quarter! And there are many sizes of these dental bands on the market! Thanks in advance!
[quote]On Jan 25, 2021, hawkbird wrote:
Does anyone know the proper size dental band for the 3pc. folding quarter? The ones I purchased are to thick to fit the quarter! And there are many sizes of these dental bands on the market! Thanks in advance! [/quote]
Look for inigmntoya's post in this thread.
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=663103