(Close Window)
Topic: Printing Postcards and more
Does anyone recommend good postcard printing company - something that is affordable and good quality

and on that note...anyone know of anyone who does affordable web-design; I'm thinking of getting a site done up.
Question 1: http://www.gotprint.com

Question 2: There is a chap on an earlier thread offering to design a website for free. Doesn't get much more affordable than that. And so far he hasn't had any takers!
I've had pretty good luck with Vista Print http://www.vistaprint.com Quality is good, turn-around time is as quick as you want it to be. You can create it on-line yourself, or get their help.

An insiders tip: when you place your order, actually order a number less than you really want. Once you've "finalized" your order, they'll provide you with a pop-up ad asking if you want to "double" your order for an extra few bucks. The double your order offer is a big money saver.

What's your idea of "affordable web-design"? Like James said, there's someone on this forum offering a free site. If, however, you've got a budget, I work with a local Las Vegas magi whose "day job" is operating a web design and hosting company. They offer a "do-it-yourself" site, with domain name, e-mail accounts and a years hosting starting at $600, or a basic site set up with your logo, pics, show info, etc; for a few hundred more. PM me if you'd like more info.

Good Luck!
Actually with vistaprint, it is still cheaper to order the 100 for just shipping instead of doubling it at the end. Just go back and order another 100, then another 100, etc. It will save you several dollars per order - the doubling will cost you more - that's why they put it right there at the end.
Vistaprint was my choice, until UPS (surprise!) delivered several of my PAPER products in open, water-damaged envelopes and boxes. Nothing unusual there -- UPS is consistently unconcerned with the tattered state in which their parcels arrive. Several calls and e-mails to vistaprint failed to get an alternate carrier, so I switched to gotprint.com

MUCH better pricing, faster turnaround on "standard" orders, and they ship via DHL -- my shipments have all arrived intact.
Vistaprint is also my choice...cheap, good quality and fast. As for webdesign, I can also help you or anyone interested...PM me.
I'm they guy offering free web site design. I'm doing this for two reasons, I'm surprised at the poor quality of a lot of the sites that I see out on the net, and I need to increase my portfolio.

The risk is rather small, if you don't like what you get, then you don't have to pay me anything. If you do like what you get, then I ask that you pay what you think is appropriate, or what you can afford.

Check out the "Web site" section of http://www.martys-simple-things.com/ for more information. The site is still under construction, but should be at least a bit useful. or PM or email me.

Thanks.
Another vote for Vista Print. I just had them do my business cards and they came out great. Really great quality, plus fast and reasonably priced.

Dan

Day 9
Sounds like vista print is my best bet!

Thanks for all your input.
In my experience, overnightprints.com offers better quality and faster service than vistaprint.
[quote]
On 2008-03-08 22:53, James Munton wrote:
Question 1: http://www.gotprint.com

Question 2: There is a chap on an earlier thread offering to design a website for free. Doesn't get much more affordable than that. And so far he hasn't had any takers!
[/quote]

#1.5 I am not sure how you can beat gotprint.com prices. Maybe if you only want 100 post cards...but how far is that gonna get you.

#2.5 you get what you pay for sometimes.
Thanks for all your help and input.
I have to agree with Gordon on this one. I have all of my own design work and that of my design clients, printed with overnightprints.com. The paper and print quality is the best I have seen around and their color does not shift or fade. Their customer service has been excellent every single time.

Kyle
[quote]
On 2008-03-09 16:45, Rimbaud wrote:
Another vote for Vista Print. I just had them do my business cards and they came out great. Really great quality, plus fast and reasonably priced.

Dan

Day 9
[/quote]

Arrghh!

It turns out I'm an idiot.

I just realize it was NOT Vistaprints, but OvernightPrints.com I used for my cards.

I in fact, rejected VistaPrint because of their odd card size.

Sorry about that.

Day

Day 12
You are correct. Vistaprint has a slightly smaller card size where the process hey use for digital printing trims the cards down smaller then normal. One thing to ask and find out when using any printer is the final "trime size". Overnightprints.com has a great trim size and their colors are much more on. In digital printing, the colors tend to shift sometimes. I have had problems with this with other printers I have used but overnightprints.com has been dead on for all the stuff I have ever had them do. I also like the card stock they print on much better.

Kyle
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (Mar 12, 2008 03:58PM)
I'm with Kyle, Gordon, et al who have suggested http://www.overnightprints.com

I have placed several orders with them, and the quality has always been outstanding.

Chris
Not to mention their delivery time is quite amazing. I once did a design job for a client and sent the files on Tuesday afternoon and had the box of cards by Thursday at lunch.

Kyle
Yes, Overnightprints.com did a great job on the color matching. (And I use an extremely colorful card.) Wonderful card stock. Very thick and impressive.

I'll be needing some table tents soon, and they'll get my business for that, as well.

(I just wish the names of all those companies weren't so alike.) :)

Dan
Day 12
For my postcards, I use http://www.modernpostcard.com

For business cards, my local printer, who in turn uses BCT (go find out).

I have seen several business cards from vistaprint. How did I know they were from vistaprint? Because vistaprint's name and logo were on the back of every card. That's like having someone else's banner ads on your website -- just looks d*amned amateurish.

If you're going to do it, do it properly. Sometimes cheap is just ... cheap.

In my humble opinion, of course ....

Rory
Gotprint.com is excellent.... I use them often....
I've mentioned this before, but for a quick and easy mailing try click2mail.com. They work with the post office to mail. The card stock used is about 100lbs and the printing appears to be done on a high end laser printer. However, you can design a postcard and mail it out to any size list you want. The price per card remains the same. I believe the cards are .23 for one-sided full-color.

All you need to do is upload the design file and then upload your mailing list. The rest is automatic. In a few days the cards are printed and mailed for you.

Again, this is not the quality of high end printer, but if designed correctly, they can look very good, and for many applications they work just fine. And if you have a small list of 50 or 60, you can design the card just for them and mail it out.
I use http://www.overnightprints.com as well . . .great quality and turnaround time.
For postcards, I've been very happy with Overnightprints. Their turnaround is quick and as Kyle stated, their delivery time is excellent. I do find that you can still smell the ink when you open the box, which is kind of odd.

For posters and other printing, I've gone with Zooprinting.com and have not been quite as happy. I've done 5 jobs with them and have experienced substantial delays with 2 of the 5. Unfortunately, their quality is excellent, as is their pricing, so until I find someone who can compete, I'll probably have to stick with them and their not-so-spectacular service.
Overnightprints.com

Wonderful service, high quality product, excellent prices.
I have used Vistaprint for both business cards and post cards. The post cards I have been very happy with but the business cards were not of the highest quality and you can't get double sided printing with them either. I just checked out Overnightprints and designed a new business card, that is double sided, and placed an order with them. Their prices were really good and I am anxious to see the quality of the product. Thanks for the lead.
Alcorn,

You will really be happy with what you receive from overnightprints.com. I have used them for nyself as well as for all the design work I do for my design clients and they have not let me down yet. This is over hundreds of design jobs I have sent their way. I have used many places in the past but they seem to always be on the ball with customer service, great quality, great turn around times and the card stock they use is really great. Let me know how your new cards turn out.

Kyle
I've used Vista Print for the last couple of years and have had no problems with them. The quality has been great and the prices very good. The only thing that gets a bit annoying is the constant e-mail special offers I get. I think I get 2 or 3 a week.

Thanks,
Richard
Have folks found the standard size, or oversized postcards more/less effective?

Much thanks,
Tod Torrent
Tod,

I usually use the standard size postcards it cost less to send them as well..... This makes a big difference when you are sending out 3000 a month....
I use Vista Print and order the "free" postcards (and these are not the ones with the vistaprint logo on the back :) ) That gets you 100 at a time for a little over $6. I then just reorder them however many times I need to to get the number of cards I want. I use this as I change my cards almost every mailing to say something different depending on when I send them out.

I have never had any trouble with them - of course, your credit card company may call and wonder why your card was just charged $6 20 times in a row!

Chad
"...sending out 3000 postcards a month...."

That's a lot of lead generation, Curtis. Wow!

Is that an average month, or just a maximum number you hit certain months of the year?

- Donald
Well Dondald it depends.... Some months are better than others.

I usually obtain a wedding list and that has about 5 to 15 thousand people on it with budgets above $50,000. Plus I have different list for past clients, people I met at events etc... I would say I mail out about 50,000 a year including promo packets....
I mail postcards to casting directors and production companies and agents in HOLLYwood and that list is about 1900 alone in LA.
But some months I am lazy and don't do any... and some months I do all the list....
Thanks for being so open!

All I can say is I'm impressed!

- Donald
Well, I truly believe in postcards. I have recieved so many gigs or made so many great contacts from them.

This business is all about contacts.... Keep them and they will grow... Well you need to water them at times too.
What's your typical response rate, Curtis?
P.s.
You should see the list I got my magic hands on last week!... OMG it would make a anyone flip-out....
It is a list of all the A list and corporate executives in the USA... IT has their numbers, email, mailing address and business info.

It was pure magic they way I obtained it!
[quote]
On 2008-04-08 18:30, Tod Torrent wrote:
What's your typical response rate, Curtis?
[/quote]

Well the response rate varies. To get booked on television shows in LA you have to stay in front of the production team and the team changes all the time, sometimes the casting director will take your info with them which is good in its own way.

For jobs they do very well. The timing is an issue for corporate events I would suggest Jan and then mid of the year and maybe one more time in NOV for the holiday parties.
For schools I would say begging of the school year and Oct (this covers halloween gigs-thanks giving and winter holiday events) and then one at end of the school year for the out of school parties.

But you need to target your list. For example I mail to weddings because I know they most likely they hire entertainment.
DOn't do mailings to a graphic desinger , small insurance agents, brokers (unless it is a major firm) becasues most likely they will not hire you.

Donald can give more insight.
Hey, Curtis:

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice with the rest of the community :thumbsup:
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Apr 8, 2008 09:00PM)
I've done business with a company who
does a promotion where you can get
1000 full colour postcards for free.

I did do the promotion just to try them
out. They are great to work with and
great quality but the free promotion
does allow them to do this bright pink
advertising on the back.

its best to go with their 4/4 5000
post cards for $150.00

which is about the average price
out there.
http://www.gotprint.com all the way for post cards! :)

Leland Stone anytime! Here to help!
I checked out GotPrint.com tonight.

They've got a boatload more backgrounds!

But they INSIST cmyk is used, while the other sites merely suggest it.

For those who don't have high end version of programs, getting cmyk can be a limitation.

Just a thought,
Tod Torrent
Well,

IF you use their design templates no problem. But if you send the a jpg or pdf with your file all things are fine.... I get most of my printing done at at gotprint!
Curtis, so are you saying that in your experience with GotPrint, cmyk files are not actually required? That you've used rgb's instead?
Tod,

I send a jpg image of a pdf file of my art work to gotprint.com and I have had no problem.

Guys if you want to see some of my postcards from got print
PVT me a mailing address and I will send you a few!
Here is a photo of my mailings for today..... OFF to the post office to get stamps!

I have sent off all the request for my postcards yesterday!
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (May 26, 2008 11:48AM)
I have to agree with Curtis on the prices at GotPrint.com

I just placed an initial order, so we'll see.

Chris
With so many online printers out there, you really can get great oprices on full color double-sided printing of almost anything. This is a huge change ion say what was out there 5 years ago. As a designer, I have seen a switch of even my own clients going more for digital printing because the quality is still good and the cost savings are huge for certain runs. You can also get much smaller minimum runs with digital printing.

The only thing you really want to be aware of is that all online printers are NOT the same. You really must watch out for certain things and test them out before you decide to have them print your work. This is why I always ask for samples of printed peices to be sent to me so I can check out quality of the printing and of the paper. I also check out their file formats and how they like to receive the files. This makes it much easier for me or your designer to set the files up the correct way saving you time and money.

Kyle
Curtis
You must do about 5,000 jobs a year, and your mailing has got to be as time consuming as a full time day job, so my question to you is when do you sleep?
I would be more curious as to Curtis' success rate. I !@#ume you are tracking your rsults of your mailings? If so I would be curious to see what the results are from the mailing. That is if you do not mind sharing it with me.

Kyle
Hello guys,

Here some answers to your questions.

My results vary on the postcards.
I find postcards a great success with casting agents, talent agents, and entertainment buyer agents. It is quick and tells them who you are.
Al, no I do not do 5000 shows a a year. I would not want to do that many. I am picky about which shows I do. I do not accept every job that comes in or I am not the right fit for every job request. I like to do about 4 to 10 jobs a month, accept for the end of Nov and Dec which I do about 30 to 45 holiday shows, and I usually take Jan and Feb off to travel.

For companies I have landed some big whoppers....
Also, my PO box is full of returns about 1000 a year.
Al, I spend about 4 to 6 hours a month on the postcards... I also have a small staff that helps me the mailings and other promotional things.

Networking events have been a great success for me as well.... check out ISES, NACE, MOIP and since I am living in LA I attend the red carpet events, launch parties, etc which leads to a lot of possibilities.

Cheers
Kyle
I think you should do it the way that Curtis does it, and feel free to send me all of the jobs that you can't do. With those kind of numbers we both should easily be able to make six figures a year. Recession what recession?

Curtis
I do about 3 to 4 jobs a weekend, but I only get paid 3 figures for each job.
Al,

I could easily do 10 jobs a week. I actually I have four this week and 5 other gigs spread out the month of June.

I do past about 10 job leads a month to other magicians in the area or to agents I work with.

The postcards I send out are for television shows, agents, producers and other projects I work on... Last year or so, I was on 7 major shows and in some major publication as well as smaller ones.... Plus as some know, I have been working on my own reality show which is already produced and edited..... Which does not lead me lots of time to do smaller gigs unless they are last minute and I feel up to them. Hence why I have not been posting that often on TMC...

When I send postcards out for " regular shows" they go to HR departments of major companies, country clubs, brides to be, PR companies and talent buyers..... I tend to buy and make our own list.

Al, you brought if price, I do try to go for the four to five figure shows when the budget allows. But, price is not always the main factor for me.

A. if they have seen me before or referral
B. if it is good for the resume
C. if the project is cool or a typical job
D. IF I like the client
C. if I am not over worked at the time....

But, my goals are differnt than many others on this board. In the begging of my career I use to try to do every show... But now I am trying to break into Hollywood.
Which is an entire new ball game....

Cheers
Only thing I have to contribute is Expresscopy.com .

They do 100 full color jumbo postcards for $69.

That includes printing, addressing, Barcoding, and first class postage as well as lamination. Full color printing on both sides Zip sorting, and delivery to the post office.

Not sure if this is or is not a good deal. In "general" they cater to the real estate market.
Danny,

Gotprint.com does 5000 cards for like $106. Full color on both sides and coated.... But they are not jumbo.... :)
Just checking. I am completly ignorant of that sort of thing, which is why I asked.

Thanks.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (May 27, 2008 10:45AM)
Curits:

Do you only use regular 4x6 sized postcards, or do you ever use the larger sized cards, which of course cost more in postage?

Chris
Chris,

I use the regular size postcards. I try to keep the cost down as much as possible.
Gotprint.com does have a great rate on oversize postcards too.... They are located in Burbank Ca and I have been to their location a few times... The place is works like clock work and a huge building and staff.... They process about 4500 orders of b-cards a day and about 5500 orders of postcards.... I see this on their little goal board in their office...

p.s.
thanks for the scanned article from magic mag....
http://www.clubflyers.com

Has some pretty good deals.

I haven't compared the prices with the

other companies that have been mentioned.